[VIDEOS] Worst DRS review ever?

Statistics375

Local Club Regular
Runs
Post of the Week
There have been some pretty poor DRS reviews taken but what would you rate as the worst ever you have seen?

For me it is quite easy, i have seen some pretty poor DRS review's but none of them have been as bad as this one.

England vs Pakistan 1st Test Dubai 2012:
Umar Gul to Swann, no run, don't bother about appealing for an lbw. That landed miles outside leg stump and hit the stumps in line with leg as Swann missed the flick. Pakistan refer it, which I think is a poor idea. Let's see. Replays in - it landed on the eighth stump, and was barely hitting the third.

Gul was bowling round the wicket to Swann who is a right hander and it hit Swann's pads and Gul appealed immediately but the appeal was turned down and after being persuaded by Gul Misbah chose to review that and hawkeye showed that it pitches miles outside leg and even the impact was outside leg.
One of the worst if not the worst.

Broad had few bad ones also in that series!

Watto reviewing most of his own front-foot-knocking-middle-out-half-way-up LBWs...

That was the one time Misbah ever really paid much heed to what the bowler thought. After that, you'll notice he goes more for what the keeper says

That was the one time Misbah ever really paid much heed to what the bowler thought. After that, you'll notice he goes more for what the keeper says

Yes, Gul was desperate for a wicket and hence the review.

Malik's review against India in the CT comes to mind. That was so plumb.

When he reviewed, I thought he was sure he had hit it.

Warner's review when he clearly edged it was the worst for me. What a total waste that was

I dont know the name of the commentator but he made a very valid point yesterday. Most teams try to use reviews in an attempt to create wickets. Theres no point in that. Thats why most of them are unsuccessful. Reviews should be considered as a backup incase the umpire makes a blunder in your opinion and you feel hard done by.

Was quite a desperate attempt.

Worst I've ever seen are by Shahid Afridi and Umar gul where they pitched a mile outside leg stump yet both asked for a review

I remember Sachin had a nightmare review once. Hit him square on the glove whilst sweeping, got caught, and reviewed it.

Also, I think batsmen reviews in general are typically much worse than bowler reviews, for obvious reasons.

Watson has had some shockers.

At least this one was part of the ball was inline with the offstump. The height was bad since the batsman came out with a big stride.

Wahab's one in the first innings was mind boggling. Similar ball pitching outside the off stump coming in. Tamim took a stride didn't offer a shot, brushed the pad way outside the off. Review!!! The ball wasn't even touching the off stump in the projection.

one of the worst ive seen but Stuart broad has had a litany of terrible reviews..the chaps plumb and he'll review. At least there wa s reason for this one.

I remember Sachin had a nightmare review once. Hit him square on the glove whilst sweeping, got caught, and reviewed it.

Sri Lanka took the review, not Sachin. The umpire judged him 'not out'. Jayawardene took the review and it was successful. It was during India's tour to Sri Lanka in 2008.

BTW, Murali was the bowler and it was the first time DRS was used in a series.

Hafeez against Jhonson, the first test at the UAE. As plum as it gets.

Sri Lanka took the review, not Sachin. The umpire judged him 'not out'. Jayawardene took the review and it was successful. It was during India's tour to Sri Lanka in 2008.

You saved Sachin's integrity from Saqs baseless attack man.

Afridi vs Sanga in the last WC..IIRC ball pitched two feet outside the leg stump yet Afridi was convinced it was out.

Sri Lanka win this one easily lol

They reviewed this in the cricket world cup :))

605961-da2a3e88-bfca-11e4-9d92-97de7eaded95.jpg

I may be thinking of a different thing but then again my memory is pretty hazy.

Sri Lanka win this one easily lol

They reviewed this in the cricket world cup :))

605961-da2a3e88-bfca-11e4-9d92-97de7eaded95.jpg

You never know man. It was probably one of those late swinging deliveries that Wasim used to bowl and probably would have tailed in. Hawkeye ain't perfect.

Thank you Amir, Sarfraz and Misbah for the most pathetic, embarrassing and shambolic review in history.

I didn't see Pak's review today

but there was one from SA yesterday as well, 6 inches away from bat and they reviewed it.

I didn't see Pak's review today

but there was one from SA yesterday as well, 6 inches away from bat and they reviewed it.

Cricinfo on today's one

Mohammad Amir to Warner, no run, slight appeal. Short of a length, seams away from around off, Warner pushes, and Amir has convinced them to review this not-out call. He has missed this by a foot. Amir must have heard something, but Misbah and Sarfraz shouldn't have given in. Don't even need replays for this. One of the worst reviews. Warner grinned as soon as Amir had his way with Misbah

Man don't know how to explain this, i mean that is just beyond explaination, and it will be hard to out do this review for the "worst review ever" title.

Man don't know how to explain this, i mean that is just beyond explaination, and it will be hard to out do this review for the "worst review ever" title.
I think Strauss against Zaheer, Khan bowled a perfect yorker on middle stump and Strauss was on backfoot and only centimeters away and he decided to review the lbw call.

Cricinfo on today's one

Yeah I saw video already, horrible review fro Pak
This is from SA, can not find video so far.

Rabada to Mathews, no run, ooh, this jags back off the seam from a good length, left alone and, well, what's happening here? South Africa have called for the review. De Kock thinks there was a nick. It looks miles away from the bat. A country mile between bat and ball there. Not sure what de Kock has heard. That's a massive waste.

Its not un-explainable

I agree was a stupid review but if you see the snickpmeter, there is a little spike just as ball goes past the bat( there is a lot of distance between ball and bat , I know) But there was some noise so its not as baseless as you think

Wort drs review ever

The drs against warner in todays game is wors ever drs used by any team

Seen this thread before and posted the same picture then. Literally cannot get any worse than this

94c3a2da9503120348f9ca9703692461

This...

<iframe src="https://streamable.com/s/ew5kr/xpdxcq" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; fullscreen" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This has to be up there, it was clearly not out and cost Australia the match a few overs later! So much drama in one game! (2019 Ashes 3rd test)

Ashes 3rd test.jpg

This...

<iframe src="https://streamable.com/s/ew5kr/xpdxcq" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; fullscreen" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Please can we tag this to the ever selfish Hafeez.

Pakistan is pretty good at taking DRS on field other teams not so much

The Decision Review System remains a tricky challenge that not many cricketers have been able to ace. Time and again, many have made bizarre DRS calls. However, the first Test between New Zealand and Bangladesh saw one of the worst DRS calls being made, if not the worst ever.

<div style="width: 100%; height: 0px; position: relative; padding-bottom: 65.882%;"><iframe src="https://streamable.com/e/qth3i5" frameborder="0" width="100%" height="100%" allowfullscreen style="width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute;"></iframe></div>

The New Zealand vs Bangladesh contest at Mount Maunganui has been talked about a lot, primarily due to the Bangla Tigers' performance. However, when it comes to taking reviews, Bangladesh are yet to master the trade.

The incident took place when Bangladesh pacer Taskin Ahmed was bowling to Ross Taylor. Ahmed bowled a fuller delivery that seemed to have hit the middle of the bat. Quite surprisingly, however, Mominul Haque decided to go with the LBW review.

As the replays were shown on the big screen, Bangladesh were not left with anything else but embarrassment. The ball missed Taylor's pad and foot by quite a distance and hit the lower middle part of the bat. That was also the final DRS review that Bangladesh were left with. Embarrassingly, they lost it with a shocking call.

With just one day's play left in the match, Bangladesh have a realistic chance of beating the Kiwis in their own den. After New Zealand scored 328 in the first innings, Bangladesh replied with 458. In the second innings, the Blackcaps have already lost 5 wickets for 147 runs.

With only a 17-run lead to their name at the end of Day 4, New Zealand face a tricky task to save the match. The morning session on Day 5 will be crucial in deciding if Bangladesh do the unthinkable at Bay Oval or not.

New Zealand have Ross Taylor (37 off 101) and Rachin Ravindra (6 off 30) in the middle at the moment. For Bangladesh, Ebadot Hossain has been the pick of the bowlers, picking 4 scalps in 17 overs in the second innings so far.

https://www.timesnownews.com/sports...eshs-drs-howler-leaves-fans-bamboozled/846186

Last edited:
When it comes to ball hitting middle of the bat still opposition taking DRS for LBW:

1. England against Finch in limited over series
2. Bangladesh against Kohli in test
3. Bangladesh against Ross Taylor in test today.

Raufs is up there being one of them

Pitched outside leg from over the wkt and probably missing another set

Ive seen shaheen take some awful reviews too for pakistan off his own bowling These are intl bowlers

They should have better sense

When it comes to Australia and the Decision Review System, emotion is difficult to avoid.

There was some when Mitchell Starc stared beseechingly at his slip cordon early on Sunday afternoon after his appeal for caught behind against Dinesh Chandimal had been denied.

Starc of course had not been on the field three years ago when Australia's Headingley heartbreak was confirmed as umpire Joel Wilson failed to give Ben Stokes out after Nathan Lyon trapped him in front.

No one needs to be reminded that it was a decision they could have overturned and won that Test had captain Tim Paine not burnt the team's final review on a fanciful lbw shout off his successor Pat Cummins moments earlier.

Hence the scars of that day that robbed Australia of a first away Ashes series win in two decades are not burnt into Starc's cricketing soul quite the same as they are for the likes of his close mate Lyon.

But it might explain why the fast bowler was the only Australian in Galle seemingly unaware that, once again, Australia had chewed through all three of their available entreaties to the third umpire when Kumar Dharmasena denied their initial appeal.

The wind blowing in off the Indian Ocean was likely to blame for Dharmasena understandably failing to hear Chandimal's faint edge that was swiftly confirmed by broadcast technology.

The former Sri Lankan off-spinner was caught by cameras laughing apprehensively at the error, but the Aussies were not smiling as Chandimal went to stumps on Sunday unbeaten on 118.

Sri Lanka's No.5 has added 88 match-turning runs since his reprieve and could bat his side into an unbeatable position when he resumes his innings on day four.

Of course, there was no move on Australia's behalf to lay the blame at the feet of the umpire; coach Andrew McDonald was the first to point out after day three that errors, by players and officials alike, are part and parcel of Test cricket.

But memories of that fateful Headingley blunder elicit exactly the kind of emotion Australia are now trying to eliminate from their decision-making process around reviews.

The question then for McDonald, a nitty-gritty operator concerned more with procedure than pomp, was how his side had gotten to a point of having no reviews left.

And whether their agreed method – a calm, consultative process between captain Cummins, wicketkeeper Alex Carey, the bowler and occasionally others that needs to be wrapped up within 15 seconds – had been followed.

"We're always discussing better ways of doing it," said McDonald, who is on his first tour in the job since being appointed full-time after Justin Langer's resignation earlier this year.

"But I still think the process has to go back through the captain and for him to gather the information from square-on, from front-on and whoever's got the best vantage point, really.

"That's up to Patty to get that information within 15 seconds and it's easier said than done.

"Emotion can sometimes shift you, the situation of the game can sometimes shift you but we're trying to remove that out of our decision making.

"I was pleased with the discussions as to (how) they are arrived (at) their decision through the process. There's errors in the game everywhere. We made a couple today. That's the way it goes."

The fact Lyon, who cramped during a marathon 35-over spell on Sunday, was front and centre for two of three reviews Australia had earlier burnt was no coincidence given the frequency with which he induces appeals for lbws and bat-pad catches.

And in the space of three balls bowled by the country's greatest ever off-spinner, Australia's ability to refer any future decisions was gone after Angelo Mathews edged one they hoped he hadn't, and Chandimal did not edge one they hoped he had.

That was after Cummins, a day earlier against his opposite number Dimuth Karunaratne, sent a caught-behind decision upstairs off his own bowling that the opener had not gloved.

In all three cases, Australia's skipper had not rushed to make a decision.

"There was enough evidence to suggest they were close," McDonald said at stumps on day three with Sri Lanka ahead by 67 thanks largely to Chandimal.

"Like anything the umpires are sometimes unsure and we're sometimes unsure. That happens and that played out on the back of us using our reviews.

"No one's perfect and you're not always going to get them right.

"But the process we went through is the most important thing for us and we'll continue to go through those processes to make those decisions.

"Unfortunately we didn't quite get it right today. But the game is littered with mistakes – that's just part of the game."

The consequences of that process are then for the team to bear.

https://www.cricket.com.au/news/aus...em-drs-pat-cummins-andrew-mcdonald/2022-07-10

FYBI8B6XwAQ5hkf

P Jayasuriya to Babar Azam, no run, shout for LBW, but has this pitched outside leg? Babar didn't offer a shot and Sri Lanka will review - where did it pitch? Onto ball-tracking: It's pitching in line, impact is in line, but the angle is taking the ball away from off-stump, they've lost a review. Would have missed a second set of stumps, a poor call from the hosts

SL getting reviews wrong too often. Lost 2 in this innings within 10 mins. Their players get really excited with appeals which I guess puts pressure on the captain to go for it

When this is your last review and even the bowler isn't sure - why take this lbw review?

W8GdOEb.png

Abrar Ahmed vs Williamson - given not out and review taken!

key94mP.png

Think this is it!

Bangladesh vs England, 2nd ODI - 3 March

Taskin Ahmed to Adil Rashid, no run, a lovely yorker on off. Rashid just about blocks it out! Bangladesh have infact reviewed it thinking it was pad first. A flimsy review, clearing off the bat. Not even close to the pads. This video is going to shared around cricket meme circles for a while now...

FqSTWrdX0AELVQn

Think this is it!

Taskin Ahmed to Adil Rashid, no run, a lovely yorker on off. Rashid just about blocks it out! Bangladesh have infact reviewed it thinking it was pad first. A flimsy review, clearing off the bat. Not even close to the pads. This video is going to shared around cricket meme circles for a while now...

FqSTWrdX0AELVQn

Embarrassing.

This is the worst review of all time for me.

Amir's desperate reviews in the last over today was very bad one . Pakistanis are very bad in asking for review , they are generally very selfish , don;t think for the team and don't accept any decision without reviewing it , even when its plumb.

Think this is it!

FqSTWrdX0AELVQn

Think Bangladesh players and captains guilty of being too emotional in such situations.

Tim Southee’s Black Caps can’t take a trick when it comes to successful decision reviews – astonishingly getting their last 15 wrong.

New Zealand burned through all three of their first innings DRS (decision review system) reviews in just 48 overs during the opening day against Sri Lanka at Hagley Oval on Thursday.

It continues a mediocre decision review run for New Zealand with statistics from Spark Sport revealing they have got their last 15 wrong. New Zealand had a poor time with decision reviews under former test captain Kane Williamson and it’s got worse under new skipper Southee.

The last successful Black Caps’ decision review came when Tom Blundell was given out caught behind off England veteran James Anderson on 74 in the first test in Tauranga. Blundell promptly reviewed with replays showing the ball clipped his back leg and there was no bat involved.

Blundell capitalised, kicking on to bring up his fourth test century, hitting a career-best 138 in a match New Zealand went on to lose by 267 runs.

Since then, the Black Caps have amazingly got their next 15 decision reviews wrong.

Southee acknowledged after the opening day’s play against Sri Lanka, they needed to be smarter with their decision reviews – admitting they didn’t intend to butcher them.

“We don’t mean to blow them and we could probably take our time a little bit more and get a better system in place,” he said.

“You just go with your gut feel and you’ve got a split second or two to make a decision and we haven’t been great with them.”

New Zealand lost their first decision review in the eighth over on Thursday when they thought they had Sri Lanka captain Dimuth Karunaratne out lbw to Matt Henry’s bowling. Southee reviewed the on-field decision of not out, but replays suggested it was pitching outside leg.

A potential caught behind dismissal was reviewed when Kusal Mendis was on 74 off Southee’s bowling, but the ball clipped his outside pocket. Musal went on to score 87 in Sri Lanka’s impressive first innings total of 355 after being sent in.

New Zealand used up their last review after 48 overs when Blair Tickner had Angelo Mathews struck on the pad in front of his stumps. Mathews was given not out on-field and it proved the right call with replays showing a faint inside edge.

Teams have 15 seconds after the umpire’s decision is made to review the call and Southee admitted it wasn’t easy sometimes when it was touch and go.

“It’s tough. You get one go at it and you’ve got how many seconds to make a decision...

“It’s one of those things. It has copped a bit of grief over time, but I’d rather use them and be given not out, than not use them and be out.”

In contrast, Sri Lanka used their reviews well while they were batting. Mendis was given out lbw to Southee by umpire Chris Gaffaney with his fifth delivery, but skipper Karunaratne at the non-striker’s end reviewed just as time expired.

It proved the correct decision with Mendis saved by height with the ball missing the stumps. He made the most of his reprieve, going on to score a team-best 87.

Sri Lanka were two from four with successful reviews in the first innings with the bat.

England captain Ben Stokes and his side had a mixed bag with their decision reviews during the recently completed series, successfully reviewing three from eight.

Stuff NZ Cricket

Impressive review by Babar Azam and Co tonight vs Will Young and a good call to NOT take a review against Latham

Impressive review by Babar Azam and Co tonight vs Will Young and a good call to NOT take a review against Latham

Just heard - Babar has a pretty dismal record in reviews!

This was a good one from Pakistan!

Fu4yR5naEAIkekI

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">We got a review right &#55357;&#56835; <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/PAKvNZ?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#PAKvNZ</a> <a href="https://t.co/qjh6YVjlrm">pic.twitter.com/qjh6YVjlrm</a></p>— Saj Sadiq (@SajSadiqCricket) <a href="https://twitter.com/SajSadiqCricket/status/1652314835617546242?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 29, 2023</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Not the cleverest review by Australia

lcimg-b4a8d9d7-d778-44fc-b176-c0e42a198b12.jpeg

lcimg-de624ac4-c97d-44fe-a02b-f749764f4676.jpeg

That was the worst lol. Caught behind review Cummins to Robinson.

Missed everything.

Babar Azam after being dismissed for a duck

6XsuOD8.png

Pakistan failed to take this review off Gurbaz - thankfully it did not cost the game as he was out not too long after that

1692717842353.png

Maybe we should have a thread on the worst decision NOT to take a review

3zRqTe7.png

Fielding side
They were 8 down and more than 100 behind the target so it's not like they needed to take it anyway
Laughed when I saw it live ngl 😂
Yea. The reason I was asking is that the Bangladeshi team takes comical reviews. I think they took a LBW review for a clean block before when fielding.

This review by Daryl Mitchell must be right up there with the worst reviews ever. Williamson's reaction says it all.

Last edited:
Back