[VIDESO/PICTURES] Pakistan announce ODI and T20I squads for series against New Zealand

Haris Rauf speaking in an interview

“We are not thinking about the fact that the New Zealand team doesn’t have renowned players. They still have players with international experience in their squad."

“The competition is increasing for fast bowlers and it’s good that we have a backup in this department,”

“Ihsanullah is also a good addition to our squad.”

“The cricketing world speaks very highly of Pakistani bowlers"

Shaheen Shah Afridi practice

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/dMe6kzGluTU" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

“I had interest in batting since U19 days but never did that properly. However, that has changed recently. During my rehab, I did a lot of batting practice"

“I’m gradually learning the art of batting so that it helps Pakistan. I would like to win matches for Pakistan regardless of my batting position"

Last edited:
I just hope Shaheen’s bowling skills don’t take a hit because he has started focusing on his batting so much.

FtXB9U7XsAAqi2e

Pictures from ongoing intra-squad practice game

FtXnfuEWABovT0z.jpgFtXnft8WABAp4cA.jpgFtXnfuHWABAcEZY.jpgFtXnfuEWAAYEwTk.jpg

Failed to understand why Saim Ayub is not being groomed for the ODI WC this year.

He could have been our wild card.

Stallions (led by Shadab Khan) beat Badshahs (led by Babar Azam) by two wickets by chasing down the target of 158 in 19.3 overs

Saim Ayub scored 50 in his side's successful chase whilst Shaheen Afridi claimed three wickets.

FtYLIF7XgA4e33s.jpgFtYLIF9XsAYp7vt.jpgFtYLIF8XgCUaAJg.jpgFtYLIF8XsAEzlfp.jpg

Last edited:
Stallions (led by Shadab Khan) beat Badshahs (led by Babar Azam) by two wickets by chasing down the target of 158 in 19.3 overs

Saim Ayub scored 50 in his side's successful chase whilst Shaheen Afridi claimed three wickets.

Highlights of the innings

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/aKWNhKVVOwc" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

NZ "missing" XI due to IPL and other reasons

Devon Conway
Finn Allen
Tim Seifert
Kane Williamson
Glenn Phillips
Mike Bracewell
Mitchell Santner
Kyle Jamieson
Trent Boult
Tim Southee
Lockie Ferguesen

Generally when a team misses 3-4 key players, its called B team.

What will you call this when almost entire first choice XI is missing.

Boult hasn't played internationals since wt20. Jamieson isn't a sure starter in LOIs neither is Seifert. Williamson even though was meant to be absent is now actually injured and seems like will miss the rest of the year. Agreed with others.

NZC has a policy of prefering contracted players ahead of non contracted ones. So the likes of Boult, Neesham, Guptill etc are not really NZ's prime players by their own policy even if it isn't like that for the viewers.

ODI Team

Is there anyone in our ODI squad besides Fakhar Zaman who can be considered a proper power hitter? The ODI batting lineup appears to be lacking in strength. Players such as Haris Sohail and Imam-ul-Haq do not seem capable of winning matches or intimidating opponents, as they only seem to chip in runs. It would have been better to select Iftikhar Ahmed instead. I wish we could have included promising young talents like Saim Ayub and Muhammed Harris from the T20 team in the ODI squad.

Is there anyone in our ODI squad besides Fakhar Zaman who can be considered a proper power hitter? The ODI batting lineup appears to be lacking in strength. Players such as Haris Sohail and Imam-ul-Haq do not seem capable of winning matches or intimidating opponents, as they only seem to chip in runs. It would have been better to select Iftikhar Ahmed instead. I wish we could have included promising young talents like Saim Ayub and Muhammed Harris from the T20 team in the ODI squad.

Your right thiers only Fakhar who can be classed as a powerhitter however even without these powerhitters pakistan regularly gets 300+

Thats a valid suggestion even if he does replace Shan in the Squad very unlikely he will make the xi thou.

Thats Ok. We need him in the squad just so that when team management realise their blunder part way through the World Cup picking Haris Sohail, he can be brought into the XI.

Why not just have one squad of 18 for white ball.

I think by having separate T20 and ODI squads we are only confusing ourselves.

ODI World Cup is round the corner which is the most important event in cricket. Just pick one damn squad and keep the players together.

If you wanna pick Haris Sohail, then ok pick him in T20s too. If Imam is your first choice as ODI opener, then keep in T20s too.

If M Haris & Saim Ayubs are your future, then keep them in ODIs too.

This nonsense needs to end.

Lol Imam and Haris dont even get selected for PSL teams and u want them in the T20 team

Thats Ok. We need him in the squad just so that when team management realise their blunder part way through the World Cup picking Haris Sohail, he can be brought into the XI.

Can't compare Haris to Saim both have different roles but can compare Imaam,Fakhar,Saim with each other.

Mohammad Haris included in ODI squad

Islamabad, 24 April 2023:

Wicketkeeper-batter Mohammad Haris has been included in the One-Day International squad for the five-match series against New Zealand. Pakistan’s squad now consists of 17 players.

He has played four ODIs and eight T20 Internationals before today’s fifth and final T20I at the Pindi Cricket Stadium.

The ODI series between the two teams commence in Rawalpindi as the Pindi Cricket Stadiums hosts the first two matches on 27 and 29 April. The action will then move to Karachi as the National Bank Stadium will stage the final three matches.

Pakistan squad:

Babar Azam (captain), Shadab Khan (vice-captain), Abdullah Shafique, Fakhar Zaman, Haris Rauf, Haris Sohail, Ihsanullah, Imam-ul-Haq, Mohammad Haris (wk), Mohammad Nawaz, Mohammad Rizwan (wk), Mohammad Wasim Jnr, Naseem Shah, Salman Ali Agha, Shaheen Shah Afridi, Shan Masood and Usama Mir

Back