"We apologize that we didn't give you the result that Pakistan deserves": Shan Masood

FearlessRoar

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
Shan Masood in press conference after defeat in 1st Test Match against Bangladesh at Rawalpindi:

About assessing the match:

"Firstly, over four days, I'm not talking about the fifth day right now. I don't think the pitch was docile; I think the pitch had enough for the seamers. But if you look at the way they played, they were very disciplined in batting. In the end, we gave them a few chances as well when Mehidy Hasan Miraz and Mushfiqur Rahim were playing. There was a point where we got Mushfiqur Rahim out, but it was overturned. We got Shadman out, but it was overturned. At that point, I felt that we did a lot of good stuff, but as a bowling unit, where we lost the game was probably with the second new ball."

About Key Moments:

"I think that's when we were 200 runs ahead in the game. There were five wickets down when Litton Das and Mushfiqur Rahim were playing, and that's where we could have actually imposed ourselves in the game. That's where we've sort of let ourselves down. And then, obviously, if you look at today with the bat, that's where we've let ourselves down. So it's been a couple of mistakes."

About Team Selection and Strategy:

"As far as the spinner is concerned, look, I gave my explanation that we thought there was a lot of grass on the wicket. The weather had been around; we'd lost the first half of the day due to weather, and it had drained every day before the game had started. So we never knew that it was going to be that clear. The forecast also indicated for the weather to be disruptive in the game, and those were our thoughts behind the declaration as well."

About lessons learned:

"We only lost six wickets in the first innings; we were 448 runs. I mean, we could have easily gone in, scored 550, 600 runs ourselves. If we'd carried on batting, we did it to push the game forward. And unfortunately, they batted really well, which you have to give them, you have to appreciate that, put us back in the game, and today we found ourselves playing for the draw."

About Pacer's Workload Management:

"I don't want to be commenting on day 5 because we didn't expect the pitch to hold up for four days or they came to hold off for four days or five days. The weather was constantly in our mind. When you play in this weather, if you're playing three fast bowlers, I think that's a lot of workload on the fast bowlers. And if the spinner does play, that means the spin is probably bowling 30 overs. So the fourth fast bowler was played."

About Playing four fast bowlers:

"Looking at the conditions and also looking at the extreme weather where we could help each other, share the load, Naseem Shah hasn't played Test cricket for a while. Shaheen also hadn't played Test cricket for a while, and Pakistan as a team hadn't played for 10 months. So, if we played three fast bowlers and lost a fast bowler through injury, we could have been like, why didn't we play that fourth bowler? Obviously, there was a setback before the series that we lost someone in the case of Aamir Jamal, who helped us both with bat and ball. We thought Saim Ayub could bowl a few overs, and Salman Ali Agha really bowled well in Australia."

About moving forward:

"For the pitch for the 2nd Test, we have time until September 30th. Obviously, we will access the conditions and field the best possible playing XI, InshaAllah. I think we said we want to be adaptable. We don't want to be rigid. We want to be flexible and adaptable. And we want to place to be adaptable. Like today was a day where we had to absorb a bit of pressure, so if someone got out absorbing the pressure or trying to take the game on, it's finding the best way that helps you play the best. That's what our thinking is."

Apology to Fans

"As a team leader, to our fans and people, we apologize that we didn't give you the result that Pakistan deserves. We completely accept our mistakes as a team, and as far as effort is concerned, I don't think anyone of us was overconfident. Everyone has put in their 100 percent in the match, and everyone makes mistakes. We will raise our hands first to accept that we made mistakes in this Test match."

Last edited:
No issues Shan bhai.

Majority of Pakistani fans don’t even consider this an upset. They are happy with the state of affairs. Actually they have no passion and Junoon in them that they are not even mad at this. Such low energy fans only deserve this.

This guy left Multan Sultans to captain KK in T20

He is the one who has no business playing T20 but he left the only franchise willing to give him a chance so that he can take over a franchise struggling. The result? Nothing changed!

Part of that core group of selfish, self serving Pakistan cricketers!

Last edited by a moderator:
Shan Masood in press conference after defeat in 1st Test Match against Bangladesh at Rawalpindi:

About assessing the match:

"Firstly, over four days, I'm not talking about the fifth day right now. I don't think the pitch was docile; I think the pitch had enough for the seamers. But if you look at the way they played, they were very disciplined in batting. In the end, we gave them a few chances as well when Mehidy Hasan Miraz and Mushfiqur Rahim were playing. There was a point where we got Mushfiqur Rahim out, but it was overturned. We got Shadman out, but it was overturned. At that point, I felt that we did a lot of good stuff, but as a bowling unit, where we lost the game was probably with the second new ball."

About Key Moments:

"I think that's when we were 200 runs ahead in the game. There were five wickets down when Litton Das and Mushfiqur Rahim were playing, and that's where we could have actually imposed ourselves in the game. That's where we've sort of let ourselves down. And then, obviously, if you look at today with the bat, that's where we've let ourselves down. So it's been a couple of mistakes."

About Team Selection and Strategy:

"As far as the spinner is concerned, look, I gave my explanation that we thought there was a lot of grass on the wicket. The weather had been around; we'd lost the first half of the day due to weather, and it had drained every day before the game had started. So we never knew that it was going to be that clear. The forecast also indicated for the weather to be disruptive in the game, and those were our thoughts behind the declaration as well."

About lessons learned:

"We only lost six wickets in the first innings; we were 448 runs. I mean, we could have easily gone in, scored 550, 600 runs ourselves. If we'd carried on batting, we did it to push the game forward. And unfortunately, they batted really well, which you have to give them, you have to appreciate that, put us back in the game, and today we found ourselves playing for the draw."

About Workload Management:

"I don't want to be commenting on day 5 because we didn't expect the pitch to hold up for four days or they came to hold off for four days or five days. The weather was constantly in our mind. When you play in this weather, if you're playing three fast bowlers, I think that's a lot of workload on the fast bowlers. And if the spinner does play, that means the spin is probably bowling 30 overs. So the fourth fast bowler was played."

"Looking at the conditions and also looking at the extreme weather where we could help each other, share the load, Naseem Shah hasn't played Test cricket for a while. Shaheen also hadn't played Test cricket for a while, and Pakistan as a team hadn't played for 10 months. So, if we played three fast bowlers and lost a fast bowler through injury, we could have been like, why didn't we play that fourth bowler? Obviously, there was a setback before the series that we lost someone in the case of Aamir Jamal, who helped us both with bat and ball. We thought Saim Ayub could bowl a few overs, and Salman Ali Agha really bowled well in Australia."

About moving forward:

"For the pitch for the 2nd Test, we have time until September 30th. Obviously, we will access the conditions and field the best possible playing XI, InshaAllah. I think we said we want to be adaptable. We don't want to be rigid. We want to be flexible and adaptable. And we want to place to be adaptable. Like today was a day where we had to absorb a bit of pressure, so if someone got out absorbing the pressure or trying to take the game on, it's finding the best way that helps you play the best. That's what our thinking is."

Apology to Fans

"As a team leader, to our fans and people, we apologize that we didn't give you the result that Pakistan deserves. We completely accept our mistakes as a team, and as far as effort is concerned, I don't think anyone of us was overconfident. Everyone has put in their 100 percent in the match, and everyone makes mistakes. We will raise our hands first to accept that we made mistakes in this Test match."
Pathetic. Your team and management are not fit to lace Arshad Nadeems boots. ( Ref Shan Masood reported to have praised after Gold medal at Olympics)

As a Punjabi myself , I am livid.
Cold and dull modern day fans who are accepting a home test defeat to Bangladesh will smiles. Back in the day if even my bestie would behave like that i would have punched his face so that he could wake up and learn to become a man.

Where is the pride ?
You’re going to let Bangladesh come to Pakistan and treat you like that ?

Last edited by a moderator:
During the post match presentation he rambled like a weather news reporter that it rained for 8 days and sun came out for 4 days, lol.

And still no explanation as to why the batters, including him could not bat? He is making it sound like we lost because we mis-calculated the pitch. Else, all batters would have scored double hundreds.

Wow!
His English speaking skills are comparable to Shakespeare...
Don't worry you win or lose... As far as you can speak english, your place is secured.
Because you are a GOAT who is just short of mere 15000 runs...

There was a point where we got Mushfiqur Rahim out, but it was overturned. We got Shadman out, but it was overturned. At that point, I felt that we did a lot of good stuff, but as a bowling unit, where we lost the game was probably with the second new ball."
Still blaming the pacers and pointing out overturn decisions as if it was injustice.

Blud you got rolled on a road. You couldn't keep a straight bat. Focus on your nerve control and pressure handling. Find out why the batting couldn't survive two sessions on this wicket.

Pakistani fans are congratulating Bangladesh on this win. Absolutely pathetic. No pride and no emotions. At least let there be a day or two
they deserve it, its a really good win to come back from the opp declaring on you in the first innings. pakistanis dont have much hard feelings towards bangbros.

What is he talking about that this isn’t the result Pakistani deserve? This is exactly the outcome Pakistan deserved. A bunch of mediocre players who have been deluded to think they are special and who behave as if they are on top of the world even though they have consistent lost to minnow sides at every corner of the world.

Masood should apologize for wearing the armband while averaging 28 after 66 innings. The biggest failure in history of Pakistan Test cricket.

I challenge all his deluded fans to name a worse batsman to have played a substantial number of Test innings. It is an open challenge.

What does he means deserve?

Bangladesh fully deserve their victory.

I kept telling people over and over, All that degrees and education do is help you lie and be fake on Interviews be it job interviews, press conferences, presentations or whatever.

Skills is what will ultimately matter. This whole world was built on the skills of the people who took humanity forward.

English is never gonna save you from facing someone like Bumrah lol.

This dude does not have the skills for captaincy or batting, Degree and education Bhar mei jai

During the post match presentation he rambled like a weather news reporter that it rained for 8 days and sun came out for 4 days, lol.

And still no explanation as to why the batters, including him could not bat? He is making it sound like we lost because we mis-calculated the pitch. Else, all batters would have scored double hundreds.
Spot on.

Not winning on highways can be understandable and you can say that it was too flat to pick 20 wickets, but you can't use the logic that pitch was road and that's why tream lost.

Masood should apologize for wearing the armband while averaging 28 after 66 innings. The biggest failure in history of Pakistan Test cricket.

I challenge all his deluded fans to name a worse batsman to have played a substantial number of Test innings. It is an open challenge.
I’m no fan of Shan’s , but Mike Brearley was undoubtedly a worse Test batsman.

Nah, it's not a SA pitch where you play 4 pacers. Have a full time spinner always. It's not as if Pakistan had 4 great pacers.

I don't get the facincation with not playing full time spinner. I think even in limited overs, I see no full time spinner. Does not make any sense to me. If I am correct then last T20 WC, Pakistan did not play any spinner as well.

Challenge accepted. Kamran Akmal.

"But he was a keeper". No he wasnt, he was the worst keeper in the history of the game who dropped countless matches and was only in the team for his 'batting'.

As a batter Shan is better than Kamran. Plus he doesnt have the dodginess and awful attitude.

Shan! A drowning man trying to cling to any debris that he can, England will be licking there lips if they watched that debacle!

Just be honest and say we haven’t got a spinner with sufficient skill to make a difference internationally

I’m no fan of Shan’s , but Mike Brearley was undoubtedly a worse Test batsman.
I meant Pakistani cricketers only. I’m sure there will be a few examples in different countries, especially traditionally weak Test nations.

In terms of Pakistani players, I don’t recall watching a worse batsman especially considering the fact that Masood has 65+ Test innings under his belt which is not a small number by any means.

Challenge accepted. Kamran Akmal.

"But he was a keeper". No he wasnt, he was the worst keeper in the history of the game who dropped countless matches and was only in the team for his 'batting'.

As a batter Shan is better than Kamran. Plus he doesnt have the dodginess and awful attitude.
Kamran’s hundreds vs India in 2005 & 2006 alone are bigger than Masood’s entire career. Those two knocks are part of Pakistan cricket’s hall of fame.

You accepted the challenged but failed it just like Masood’s Test career.

A refreshing press conference in a long time after a defeat. Though the performance on the field was same as pre-surgery, the performance in press conference post-surgery was amazing with the kind of English and body language used. Should go ahead and claim the customary moral victory.

Btw, Bobby would have got a draw on this pitch. :inti

I can think of a few but none that have played 66 games lol. If you factor in longevity then Shan is objectively the worst when it comes to batting.

Apology or no apology, doesn't really matter as I have become desensitised to it all. This team can lose to Timbuctoo and we should all embrace and accept that fact.

Ok but why was shaheen did that baby celebration on taking first wicket after consuming 76+ runs and pakistan was almost at the losing end. Which clearly shows the intent of players, they play for their own purpose and marketing. Now this celebration will be thoroughly market by his PR team on social media.

Ok but why was shaheen did that baby celebration on taking first wicket after consuming 76+ runs and pakistan was almost at the losing end. Which clearly shows the intent of players, they play for their own purpose and marketing. Now this celebration will be thoroughly market by his PR team on social media.
Tbf that isn't Shan masood's fault. But it does show the mentality.

People made fun of me for claiming that sarfi was right on screaming at players.

I still remember hasan ali doing a nonsense celebration when the match wasn't over and sarfraz screaming at hasan ali to stop and scolding him for his behaviour.

Jee now flasforward 7 years later, I hope everyone understands why sarfi or younis screaming at this lot is not a bad thing. Kept people civil.

Wow!
His English speaking skills are comparable to Shakespeare...
Don't worry you win or lose... As far as you can speak english, your place is secured.
Because you are a GOAT who is just short of mere 15000 runs...
Unnecessary taunt on his English speaking skills. The non-English speaking captains prior to Shan were not doing much better either. The reasons lie deeper if Pakistan is serious to introspect.

He’s mucked the captaincy opportunity. Playing 4 pacers and declaring early doesn’t help and I expect the coach had a lot of influence there, which people will miss. Can’t believe we did this again, same situation when Mickey Arthur didn’t pick a 2nd spinner against Sri Lanka. Sometimes I even wonder whether foreign coaches are good for us, when most our matches are played in subcontinent.

Even drawing against Bangladesh would have been enough for him to continue captaincy. Losing however, it’s probably curtains.

It’s a shame because he is a better captain than Babar and is someone who tries and experiments. And looked decent even with the bat in Australia compared to our other batsmen. But this is always the risk of making captain a player who hasn’t even solidified his spot.

If Pakistan end up drawing the series maybe shan escapes with captaincy. If he loses, I think it’s just a matter of time before he goes.

Tbf that isn't Shan masood's fault. But it does show the mentality.

People made fun of me for claiming that sarfi was right on screaming at players.

I still remember hasan ali doing a nonsense celebration when the match wasn't over and sarfraz screaming at hasan ali to stop and scolding him for his behaviour.

Jee now flasforward 7 years later, I hope everyone understands why sarfi or younis screaming at this lot is not a bad thing. Kept people civil.
You are right actually. Sarfraz, wasim akram and other captains were right when they used to verbally slaughter these players for not showing intent. This is a highest class of unprofessionalism. Look at india, they share same values and culture but there players are always 100% into the game despite playing excessive cricket throughout the year as compared to **** players.
But the type of marketing company every player has opened in Pakistan is beyond logic. They even share same PR group, and all under PCB books.
The intent has to be there either you win or lose. These players always laughing joking like there is nothing happened made cricket fans go mad. Sorry to say cricket is on the same path as of hockey.

He should have resigned on the spot, that would be the right thing to do.

He’s mucked the captaincy opportunity. Playing 4 pacers and declaring early doesn’t help and I expect the coach had a lot of influence there, which people will miss. Can’t believe we did this again, same situation when Mickey Arthur didn’t pick a 2nd spinner against Sri Lanka. Sometimes I even wonder whether foreign coaches are good for us, when most our matches are played in subcontinent.

Even drawing against Bangladesh would have been enough for him to continue captaincy. Losing however, it’s probably curtains.

It’s a shame because he is a better captain than Babar and is someone who tries and experiments. And looked decent even with the bat in Australia compared to our other batsmen. But this is always the risk of making captain a player who hasn’t even solidified his spot.

If Pakistan end up drawing the series maybe shan escapes with captaincy. If he loses, I think it’s just a matter of time before he goes.
Gillespie is a new commer in a coaching setup. He was a wonderful player but he has to mark his standard in coaching yet. Declaring under 500 would have worked well in Aus or SAF conditions but not on this pitch. He has to think within his team’s capabilities and device plans. Hopefully he will learn it gradually

Playing 4 pacers was a huge gamble. Neither these are world class 4 pacers who could have given you a sure victory.

Declaring 70-80 runs short just to have a go at the opposition was a tactical blunder. A draw had to be secured first. And then you throw away wickets in 2nd innings?

Instead of apologising just face the fact that yo do not have the skillset to be an international player and gracefully step down to play county cricket till retirement.

We have officially reach rock bottom -Congratulations to the Pakistan government and PCB chairman for this great achievement.

The Covid fans are not upset that Pakistan lost to Bangladesh in a Test match, they are more upset that Mr. English declared Pakistan when Mr. Cramps was so close to fulfilling the prophecy of his double hundred against the Bangla Tiger.

Kamran’s hundreds vs India in 2005 & 2006 alone are bigger than Masood’s entire career. Those two knocks are part of Pakistan cricket’s hall of fame.

You accepted the challenged but failed it just like Masood’s Test career.
His hundred in 2006 was a pure fluke made possible by the conditions. The new ball was unplayable and then the pitch became a road as evidenced by Shoaib Akhtar, Kamran and Irfan Pathan comfortable outscoring ATG batsmen like tendulker, sehwag, Yusuf, Inzi. 2005 lol, I had to google it, no one remembers that innings on a flat track.

Shan has a century in the fourth innings chasing an improbable target against Sri Lanka. Not to mention a brilliant 150 in England against Anderson, Broad and your favourite Archer.

His hundred in 2006 was a pure fluke made possible by the conditions. The new ball was unplayable and then the pitch became a road as evidenced by Shoaib Akhtar, Kamran and Irfan Pathan comfortable outscoring ATG batsmen like tendulker, sehwag, Yusuf, Inzi. 2005 lol, I had to google it, no one remembers that innings on a flat track.

Shan has a century in the fourth innings chasing an improbable target against Sri Lanka. Not to mention a brilliant 150 in England against Anderson, Broad and your favourite Archer.

One of the worst posts I've ever read. Those 2 Kami hundreds are Iconic.

Karachi 2006 is an ATG knock.

Bro? Kamran Akmal has his faults, infact he's a medicore cricketer and I find him overrated on here magar kuda ka khoof karo.

Past medicore or even below medicore players like afridi, Kamran, Unar akmal, Ahmed shehzad(in test), make the current crop look like uganada level players? Our current players are so bad that kamran akmal is a literal ATG compared to them.

Sometimes you guys need to watch cricket with your eyes and not cricinfo stats, Heck just go and watch past games, full matches are available across the Internet, go have an 8 hour blast.

Shan masood and Kamran akmal are not comparable by any metric, even stats don't support you in this case.

Kamran is someone who underachieved, someone of his caliber should have averaged 35-38 in test but regardless his 6 100's blow Shan out of the water.

To top it off he still has a higher avg, Sr and no of centuries and 50's rhen shan does, so even by stat nonsense that you guys pull for rizwam, It doesn't support you in this case from either fronts

Atleast he had the decency to take responsibility and apologise for this poor
performance. Whereas I do not recall Babar apologising for the T20 world cup fiasco. Instead we saw PR videos of him driving his audi with michael jackson songs playing (which I bet he doesn’t even understand).

This is one of the worst posts I have ever read even for your standards. Scoring a hundred for your team when you are 39/6 in a series decider vs India is a phenomenal effort.

Indian middle/lower order batsmen played in similar conditions in the first innings and none of them could score big like Kamran and if they did, India could have won the match.

As far as the 2005 innings is concerned, everyone remembers. If you had to Google it, that’s fine but don’t project your ignorance on others.

He batted almost all day on a day 5 Mohali pitch vs Kumble to save the Test for Pakistan. It was an exhibition of tremendous skill, concentration and heart. Masood wouldn’t have lasted 20 balls in those circumstances.

Regardless of how much Kamran’s career tanked post 2006 and then in 2010 after a great year in 2009, Pakistani cricket fans will - and should - always remember those two knocks in Test cricket.

It is funny how you want to find loopholes in those innings but have nothing to say for Masood’s innings in England & Sri Lanka.

He was dropped a gazillion times in England and that day 5 pitch in Pallekele was one of the flattest day 5 wicket you will ever see.

Not to mention Sri Lanka were without Herath and were playing a rookie spinner who only played a handful of Tests and got dropped because he wasn’t good enough.

Those two Masood knocks are nowhere near Kamran’s hundreds vs India in 2005-2006 in terms of quality, significance and impact.

Those two innings are bigger than Masood’s entire career who has been an abysmal failure and will always be because he is not remotely good enough to play at this level.

Only in Pakistan can a 34 year old with an average of 28 after 66 innings be appointed as Test captain and also have delusional fans defend and support him. It is complete madness.

You only ‘deserve’ a good result by playing well. He seems to confuse ‘deserves’ with ‘wants’.

I rate Kamrans higher despite not being a fan of Kamran overall. As mamoon said his knocks are Pakistan hall of fame knocks.

But I appreciate your point. Shan does have a couple of decent knocks too. But these aren't enough to excuse 98% of the time he fails with the bat.

Refresh this thread , will apologize again tmw after another batting collapse and losing the match....

#pakminnows

So there was a physical fight between Shan Masood and Shaheen Afridi. Rizwan who tried to mediate also got beaten up? Hard to believe. But many news report it.

So there was a physical fight between Shan Masood and Shaheen Afridi. Rizwan who tried to mediate also got beaten up? Hard to believe. But many news report it.

Doubt it. Shan is not much of a physical fighter, will get beaten up badly and the physical marks will be visible.

England is approaching their Test Cricket as ODI Cricket therefore if anything being in white ball mode may actually be better prep for our team against them.

Back