What comes to mind when you think of Pakistan?

Cricket Warrior

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
When someone thinks of Pakistan so it comes in mind that a nation with a rich history, culture, and diverse landscapes. Pakistan is marked by the majestic Himalayan and Karakoram mountain ranges, fertile plains, and a coastline along the Arabian Sea.

Despite challenges and tough times spirit of its people shine through contributing to the country's unique identity on the global stage. Pakistan's geopolitical importance, cultural richness, and the harmonious blend of tradition and modernity make it a captivating country.

Which things comes in ur mind when you think of Pakistan?

When I think of Pakistan, first things which come to my mind are cricket, strong army (with nukes), good foods, hospitable people, Kashmir issue, and Islam.

However, I must say prior to coming to PP forum, I didn't realize Pakistan had many liberals. Most of my real life Pakistani mates are conservative-minded. So, PP gave me a minor shock in that regard.

Pakistan is a country that has people with great hospitality and Pakistan is one of the best countries for mountain lovers.

When I think about Pakistan, the first thing that pops up in my mind is the food here. Choices of different foods, a list that never ends, taste that can be found nowhere else.

Then comes its natural beauty, wherever you go in this country you will find a beauty you cannot compare with anywhere else in the world. Then the 2009 world t20 win came to my mind, what a win it was, champions trophy was a win nobody was expecting from a number 8 ranked side then.

A delusional nation that never owned to its failures and always blamed others and believed in conspiracy theories.

A nation with an inherent identity crisis because it was formed on the basis of a flawed ideology that was disproved in 1971.

A nation that has always overestimated its purpose, capabilities and potential but this is a by-product of their deep-rooted insecurities and failure.

Moreover, Pakistan is a country that never managed to sell and promote its culture to the world because of its obsession with associating its identity with religion (hence the identity crisis) and ultimately became knowing for promoting and safeguarding terrorism and triggering geopolitical instability in South Asia.

A country that has made zero positive contributions to the world and probably never will. Basically a burden on the globe and I feel incredibly unlucky to be born in this country.

A delusional nation that never owned to its failures and always blamed others and believed in conspiracy theories.

A nation with an inherent identity crisis because it was formed on the basis of a flawed ideology that was disproved in 1971.

A nation that has always overestimated its purpose, capabilities and potential but this is a by-product of their deep-rooted insecurities and failure.

Moreover, Pakistan is a country that never managed to sell and promote its culture to the world because of its obsession with associating its identity with religion (hence the identity crisis) and ultimately became knowing for promoting and safeguarding terrorism and triggering geopolitical instability in South Asia.

A country that has made zero positive contributions to the world and probably never will. Basically a burden on the globe and I feel incredibly unlucky to be born in this country.
What would have happend if you were born in some poor African nation still living in stone age with no proper food or clear water? Be always grateful to your luck.

A nation of surprisingly happy and relaxed people, if anything too laid back and content to drive the modern economy. Also there is a determined section of trolls who are on every Pakistan media platform claiming they wish they had never been born in that country, probably because they spend too much time in front of a computer screen watching Bollywood fantasy war films.

I've been there a few times, not usually by choice, usually family commitments, but I always find I end up enjoying it much more than I expected. People tend to be a lot warmer and open to conversation than I'm used to in western countries.

Extreme sadness at the immeasurable death count of poor people both in the literal sense and from the looting and inability to properly govern by crooked establishment/governments

What would have happend if you were born in some poor African nation still living in stone age with no proper food or clear water? Be always grateful to your luck.
If I were born in a poor African country struggling for food and water, I would not have any education and therefore, I would not have any awareness and perception of what is happening in the world.

I would be looking to survive and that is where my interest in the world would end.

It is very painful - in a different way - to be an educated, socially/politically/culturally aware individual in Pakistan.

I'm genuinely curious what is the culture you think they missed out on promoting?

In one word "FRUSTRATION"

Cant help love it. Cant help hate it at times and when I do cant stand hating it.

I grew up in Pakistan and went to school and college there. Then I came to the US and went to school here as well. By comparison, I simply marvel at how smart, intelligent, and extremely gifted were some of the Pakistanis I have known in the first phase of my life in Pakistan. I am also amazed now, when I look back, how in Pakistan everything is done the easy way and not necessarily the right way. Whereas elsewhere, mostly people fall somewhere n the spectrum of close to doing it the right way, we are exactly on the other side.

The mix of intelligence and lack of ethics and morality is just very unique with us.

In one word "FRUSTRATION"

Cant help love it. Cant help hate it at times and when I do cant stand hating it.

I grew up in Pakistan and went to school and college there. Then I came to the US and went to school here as well. By comparison, I simply marvel at how smart, intelligent, and extremely gifted were some of the Pakistanis I have known in the first phase of my life in Pakistan. I am also amazed now, when I look back, how in Pakistan everything is done the easy way and not necessarily the right way. Whereas elsewhere, mostly people fall somewhere n the spectrum of close to doing it the right way, we are exactly on the other side.

The mix of intelligence and lack of ethics and morality is just very unique with us.

I alluded to that in my post as well when I said that the culture was too laid back for economic development. It always feels like laws and regulations are there as an option. I don't think it would take too much to fix it if there was actually a govt with an interest to do so. For some reason I always feel they share a similar vibe to West Indies people, just enjoy de sun man.

You can see it reflected in the cricket structure as well, it's half hearted and most of the players just want to do it the easy way, then out for a nice dinner at whatever spot they can crash for the evening.

Elite capture and how it'll continue to suck the nation dry for the foreseeable future.

I'm genuinely curious what is the culture you think they missed out on promoting?
It is very simple - you look at how India have managed to promote its culture even though there are considerable similarities.

We don’t have to look beyond cuisine. Pakistani restaurants in the West are also forced to add the name Indian to their menus to make their business profitable.

Moreover, the average guy in the West will always perceive Pakistani cuisine as Indian.

Pakistani culture is lost in-between Indian culture and Pakistan’s obsession with identifying itself with religion.

I’ve only been to Karachi and Bahawalpur, but don’t remember much of Bahawalpur since I was only about 4-5 years old.

When I think of Pakistan, a lot of things come to mind.

Squat toilets

Dirty tap water (tuttee ka pani)

No electricity at 12:30pm, 4pm, 6pm and 10,30pm (Karachi)

Mosquitos

10 year olds on motorbikes

No law and order

Corruption

Flies on your food

Lizards on the bathroom wall

Malaria

Dust

Donkey’s being abused

Reckless driving

Aerial firing in the streets

Staring

Elite capture and how it'll continue to suck the nation dry for the foreseeable future.

It is a tale of two countries isnt it? You have the elites who have pretty much everything. Then you have the poor and their struggles which is getting worse. The middle class is quickly disappearing. The elites in Pakistan really have the life of luxury not many people in the world live.

If you feel so unlucky about living in Pakistan. Why have you never thought about moving abroad? What is stopping you?

You are a doctor and can live a very comfortable life in the West.

So many over the years.

Good:
Cricket
Music
Potential
Charity

Bad:
Khakee
Overestimating themselves
Negative Paindu behavior abroad
Absolutely ok with status quo

I think of Edhi sir and same time get reminded of Shariffs, Zia, Hafeez

It is a tale of two countries isnt it? You have the elites who have pretty much everything. Then you have the poor and their struggles which is getting worse. The middle class is quickly disappearing. The elites in Pakistan really have the life of luxury not many people in the world live.
But do they really have everything? Wouldn't the elites have done even better in a thriving and progressive Pakistan? But I agree with you, they're not interested in finding out.

I hope what happened in Indonesia happens in Pakistan, and the country turns into a model Muslim democracy with a booming economy. The old Indonesian military junta realised their mistake and that they're not suited to run a country. They stepped aside and allowed democracy to thrive and an elected civilian government to flourish.

Someday the establishment will have such an epiphany! 🤞

But do they really have everything? Wouldn't the elites have done even better in a thriving and progressive Pakistan? But I agree with you, they're not interested in finding out.

I hope what happened in Indonesia happens in Pakistan, and the country turns into a model Muslim democracy with a booming economy. The old Indonesian military junta realised their mistake and that they're not suited to run a country. They stepped aside and allowed democracy to thrive and an elected civilian government to flourish.

Someday the establishment will have such an epiphany! 🤞
They do. You can’t literally get away with bloody murder in a progressive Pakistan. In this Pakistan, they can and they do.

Banana republic. Unfortunately, Pakistan has become the definition of a banana republic the past few years.

Other than that, God-fearing hospitable people inhabiting a wonderful country undone by poor governance.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is very simple - you look at how India have managed to promote its culture even though there are considerable similarities.

We don’t have to look beyond cuisine. Pakistani restaurants in the West are also forced to add the name Indian to their menus to make their business profitable.

Moreover, the average guy in the West will always perceive Pakistani cuisine as Indian.

Pakistani culture is lost in-between Indian culture and Pakistan’s obsession with identifying itself with religion.

I don't see Indians promoting their culture particularly. What they do, Pakistanis also do, sing songs, dance a bit and share a similar obsession with religion. If anything India seems to be trying to adopt the Pakistan model of ramming religion into everything, even governance.

If I were born in a poor African country struggling for food and water, I would not have any education and therefore, I would not have any awareness and perception of what is happening in the world.

I would be looking to survive and that is where my interest in the world would end.

It is very painful - in a different way - to be an educated, socially/politically/culturally aware individual in Pakistan.
Would you exchange your current life for a chance to live a life in blissful ignorance?

If you feel so unlucky about living in Pakistan. Why have you never thought about moving abroad? What is stopping you?

You are a doctor and can live a very comfortable life in the West.
Parents and family situation. Otherwise, I have zero loyalty to this country and absolutely no patriotic feelings.

I don't see Indians promoting their culture particularly. What they do, Pakistanis also do, sing songs, dance a bit and share a similar obsession with religion. If anything India seems to be trying to adopt the Pakistan model of ramming religion into everything, even governance.
India has been able to sell its culture much more effectively than Pakistan. For example, millions of people in the west practice yoga now.

Similarly, Indian cuisine is one of the most popular cuisines in the world that has completely overshadowed Pakistani cuisine to the point where a common westerner will always confuse Pakistani food for Indian food. No one would ever confuse Indian food for Pakistani food.

The difference in tourism between the two countries is also a great example of how India has been able to promote its culture much more effectively than Pakistan.

As far as religion is concerned, even if India becomes religiously obsessed, their religion is deeply rooted in their culture because Hinduism is more than just a religion. It is a cultural philosophy.

So India promoting its religion is also seen as a promotion of its culture and way of life. When Pakistan promotes its religion, they come across as fanatics and Arab wannabes which most of them are, although in recent times they have pivoted to the Turks who, ironically, also suffer from a deep-rooted identity crisis.

India has been able to sell its culture much more effectively than Pakistan. For example, millions of people in the west practice yoga now.

Similarly, Indian cuisine is one of the most popular cuisines in the world that has completely overshadowed Pakistani cuisine to the point where a common westerner will always confuse Pakistani food for Indian food. No one would ever confuse Indian food for Pakistani food.

The difference in tourism between the two countries is also a great example of how India has been able to promote its culture much more effectively than Pakistan.

As far as religion is concerned, even if India becomes religiously obsessed, their religion is deeply rooted in their culture because Hinduism is more than just a religion. It is a cultural philosophy.

So India promoting its religion is also seen as a promotion of its culture and way of life. When Pakistan promotes its religion, they come across as fanatics and Arab wannabes which most of them are, although in recent times they have pivoted to the Turks who, ironically, also suffer from a deep-rooted identity crisis.

Not really sure what you expect here. Western people practice yoga because it's a proven practice with many health benefits, it doesn't take that much selling. Indian food has been established for centuries before Pakistan even existed, even though it is actually Pakistani food that has become more popular, but because of historical association everything gets called Indian.

I don't get it, there seems to be a lot of complaints there, but you don't offer any suggestions. Unless you think Pakistan should be promoting yoga, Indian food or hindu culture and religion. If that's what you think that's fine, just say it straight. Give some examples of how it would be done. Or I can have a go if you can't think of any.

Of course there are already famous western celebrities selling these videos and they are all home based, I don't think India is getting the revenues.

The International Day of Yoga has been celebrated across the world annually on June 21 since 2015, following its inception in the United Nations General Assembly in 2014. This has only been made possible after India under Modi sold the yoga culture globally.
🤣 :facepalm:

The International Day of Yoga has been celebrated across the world annually on June 21 since 2015, following its inception in the United Nations General Assembly in 2014. This has only been made possible after India under Modi sold the yoga culture globally.

🤣 :facepalm:

So how much has this earned in revenues for Bharat since Modi out of nowhere made the rest of the world suddenly aware of yoga? :unsure:

Following things comes to mind when I think of Pakistan and I believe many think likewise too:

1. Indian Muslims :inti - Most Indian Muslim's loves Pakistan more than India. So whenever I interact with any Indian Muslim , especially from North India, I get reminded of Pakistan. So much love for PCT during world cup in Hyderabad....wow :love:
2. Fast Bowlers - Being from the land of trundlers :nehra , fast bowlers in Pakistan have always fascinated me.

3. Terrorism - with respect to everyone here but this stereotype always comes to mind when one thinks about Pakistan. This is actually applicable to people from all over the world when they hear the word Pakistan.

4. Bradford - people in UK will understand what I mean. Most right wing groups in UK associate Bradford as everything that is wrong with the country.

5.Muslim Ummah - any islamic protest in any country and you will find majority are Pakistanis. Let it be Kashmir or Palestine, Pakistani's are always there either in street protests or fighting in x (former twitter).

Yoga has been recognised for centuries, it didn't suddenly just become popular because Modi latched on. I don't really see much evidence of hindu culture spreading around the world other than yoga for what that's worth, but if you can provide more examples then feel free.

More to the point, what relevance would it have to this thread? Is Mamoon expecting Pakistan to sell yoga harder than India?

I just mentioned to you that International Yoga Day started from June 21 2015 by United Nations after Indian PM promoted it. Infact it was one of the first thing Modi did after getting elected as PM. So yoga must have been there for centuries but it only got world recognition from 2015.

lost potential, i grew up in Pakistan in the 90s and it was a really nice place, yes it had its problems but where i grew up had a super chill vibe, and you always had this feeling of things will end up OK.

but fast forward thirty odd years and the country has only gone backwards, the middle class has either moved away or being trampled, even rich people want out now, and that a damning indictment.

i can only imagine what people who grew up in the heyday of the country in the early 60s would feel. wish it wasn't this way, i i consider the UK my home but will always have a soft spot for Pakistan, but i see no real future.

bipartisan politics aside the social fabric of the country, the intellectual classes, cultural depth have all receded over the years, its a shallow reflection of what the country could and should have been.

The issue of identity crisis is overblown entirely, particularly by those who suffer from identity crises themselves.

Every province in Pakistan has a strong culture, traditions, and cuisine that are widely followed and championed. Many of these have no links to Arabs.

Take a look at weddings, funerals, and festivals in each province, and they all have their own unique customs. Each province holds within it a multitude of subcultures, traditions, and artistic expressions.

At a national level, it gets slightly more muddled, but it's not enough to classify it as an identity crisis. In fact, the Pakistani lack of acknowledgement of their pagan/hindu past is quite similar to the Indian attempts to renounce the beautiful Mughal culture woven through India's rich tapestry.

Claims that Pakistan's promotion of its religious culture makes them appear as Arab wannabees are also false. Sure, you can say Pakistan suffers from a lack of effective marketing and branding....but how are things like Qawalli and Pakistani sufi culture expressions of fanaticism? The audience is a niche one currently, but again, it is distinct from Arabia.

I just mentioned to you that International Yoga Day started from June 21 2015 by United Nations after Indian PM promoted it. Infact it was one of the first thing Modi did after getting elected as PM. So yoga must have been there for centuries but it only got world recognition from 2015.
It seems like Hindusim was in the gutters until Modi came along according to you.

He's opened temples in the Middle East and brought yoga to the world stage despite its existence for centuries.

Do you think he is a divine avatar?

It seems like Hindusim was in the gutters until Modi came along according to you.

He's opened temples in the Middle East and brought yoga to the world stage despite its existence for centuries.

Do you think he is a divine avatar?

UAE opening temples, Diwali getting federal holiday in United States, 21 June has become international yoga day etc etc. All of this has only happened in last 10 years. So he may not be an avatar but credit to Modi for promoting Indian culture. Not sure why so salty about it?

UAE opening temples, Diwali getting federal holiday in United States, 21 June has become international yoga day etc etc. All of this has only happened in last 10 years. So he may not be an avatar but credit to Modi for promoting Indian culture. Not sure why so salty about it?
Just wanted to see how strongly you feel about Modis influence overall as you give him major credit.

So spread of hindu culture across the globe still seems to be centred solely on yoga, that too only because Modi had the brilliant foresight to point out the bleeding obvious. Dhalsim character from Streetfighter must have been a Japanese premonition.

That is not true at all. Gurus Like BKS Iyengar, Bikram Choudhury, K Pattabhi Jois, Srivatsa Ramaswamy and Indra Devi had introduced yoga to western audiences and even taught it to Hollywood celebrities several decades before Narendra Modi.
It is pretty pathetic that nobody In India even knows these names today, and cluelessly attribute the global spread to yoga to Modi and that fraud Baba Ramdev.

That is not true at all. Gurus Like BKS Iyengar, Bikram Choudhury, K Pattabhi Jois, Srivatsa Ramaswamy and Indra Devi had introduced yoga to western audiences and even taught it to Hollywood celebrities several decades before Narendra Modi.
It is pretty pathetic that nobody In India even knows these names today, and cluelessly attribute the global spread to yoga to Modi and that fraud Baba Ramdev.
Bikram did a lot for Yoga. Bikram Yoga was massive in the US and here in the UK too. Yoga as an activity got revitalised because of him. The dude built a whole brand. Marketing genius...shame he was a predator.

The naans are like pizza crusts.

A country that shouldn’t have existed in the first place because the purpose of its creation (Two Nation Theory) proved to be a myth.

For me, Pakistan is a unique country, sort of an artificial country where elite people let go of their mother tongue Punjabi to sound more sophisticated by using Urdu. Maps change, people get converted to different religion (we have same surnames but some are Sikh and some Muslims), but you cannot change the fact you were born in land of five rivers.

This is one thing I will always appreciate in India. We always had and have newspapers, tv channels in regional languages. Everyone speaks, writes and reads Punjabi irrespective of religion in Indian Punjab. We listen to Punjabi songs exclusively. Hindi is not seen as superior language, India doesn’t have national language.

For me, Pakistan is a unique country, sort of an artificial country where elite people let go of their mother tongue Punjabi to sound more sophisticated by using Urdu. Maps change, people get converted to different religion (we have same surnames but some are Sikh and some Muslims), but you cannot change the fact you were born in land of five rivers.

This is one thing I will always appreciate in India. We always had and have newspapers, tv channels in regional languages. Everyone speaks, writes and reads Punjabi irrespective of religion in Indian Punjab. We listen to Punjabi songs exclusively. Hindi is not seen as superior language, India doesn’t have national language.

This is true, but we have seen something similar in the UK. Welsh language is more or less dead, I think Gaelic is also another language on the way out. Regional languages tend to fall by the wayside once you have a collection of states forming a union. Even in the USA the language is a foreign imposed one, they speak English across the board, not Navajo or whatever other indiginous tribes used to converse in.

My grandparents emigrated from Pakistan during partion so I have heard a lot about it growing up.

And I was always jealous of pakistani fast bowlers compared to our bhagte hue spinners.

And on a little negative note, the indo pak wars and the terror conflict, the Kashmir issue

I see Pakistan as a very important part of the ancient Mahabharata which was annexed in a very awkward and inefficient from modern day Bharat on the basis of religion.

Within 100 years however, I am confident of its reunification with the motherland.

Yes the world of cricket will lose its iconic showdown but the betterment of mankind would mean more to me.

In the latest survey conducted by the international research institute IPSOS, only one in 10 Pakistanis believe that the country is headed in the right direction

The survey, part of the ongoing Consumer Confidence Index (CCI) in Pakistan, highlights growing concerns among citizens about the nation’s economic situation, with a significant portion expressing pessimism about the future.

The IPSOS survey reveals that 11% of Pakistanis believe that the country’s conditions are improving, with rural populations showing more optimism (12%) compared to urban dwellers (8%). However, this optimism has seen a decline, as last year, 18% of citizens were hopeful about the future—a figure that has now dropped to 11%.

The IPSOS survey highlights the pressing concerns of Pakistani citizens. A significant 33% of respondents identified inflation as their biggest worry, reflecting the ongoing struggle with rising prices. Unemployment was the second most cited concern, with 18% of citizens feeling the impact of joblessness. Additionally, 11% of respondents pointed to increasing electricity bills as a major financial burden.

Other concerns highlighted in the survey include:
  • Poverty: 9% of respondents cited rising poverty as a significant issue.
  • Electricity Load Shedding: 7% of citizens identified power outages as a major problem.
  • Falling Rupee Value: 3% are troubled by the devaluation of the Pakistani rupee.
  • Corruption: 2% of respondents see corruption as a key issue.
  • State Institutions' Interference: Nearly 1% believe interference among state institutions is a problem.
  • Food Situation: 1% of respondents are concerned about the food situation.
Other concerns include electricity load shedding (7%), the devaluation of the rupee (3%), corruption (2%), interference between state institutions (1%), and food security (1%).

The IPSOS report indicates a decline in concerns over economic challenges since the beginning of 2024. Despite this, only 13% of Pakistanis believe the country’s economic conditions are strong.

This sentiment is more prevalent among men, the rural population, post-graduates, and wealthier individuals. However, the percentage of those who perceive the economy as weak has increased by 1%, reflecting a growing sense of economic instability.

A staggering 94% of respondents admitted that they find it very difficult to purchase common household items. This struggle is indicative of the broader economic challenges faced by the average Pakistani family.

Additionally, only 10% of people are hopeful about saving enough money for their children's education and marriage after retirement, underscoring the financial pressures that are pervasive across the country.

Back