What will be the result of the first Test between India and England?

What will be the result of the first Test between India and England?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Runs
Post of the Week
Different from the series prediction thread.

India under the pump with Eng at 311-4 and a strong tail to come.

Plus they have to bat last.

Who will win?

Let's see how much England make. But got a feeling one of Kohli or Rahane is going to make a big score.

Looks like 1st inns will be a high scoring one but i can still see a positive result in end of one of the two sides.

So no one wants to discuss?

Just vote...

Haha.....

Saw only [MENTION=139682]LastManstanding[/MENTION] voting for an Indian win while [MENTION=45152]Saurav[/MENTION] voted for an English win.

Too many variables here to judge (weak Indian batting, weak English bowling, strong tail for both sides, etc) but I will be optimistic and go for the same (Indian win) or a draw depending on how the pitch plays.

May end up to be a cracker of a game in the end.

England need 450+ then get Kohli early. If they do that they will be in charge.

I think we need dry up runs when nothing is happening and make England go for the release shot.

Too many singles were given which is absolute unacceptable.

Bowling wasn't accurate.

Non-proactive strategies like only bowling around the wicket to Root hurt Indians too.

I think we need dry up runs when nothing is happening and make England go for the release shot.

Too many singles were given which is absolute unacceptable.

Bowling wasn't accurate.

Non-proactive strategies like only bowling around the wicket to Root hurt Indians too.

I think India are a bit overrated. Can see them struggling if they lose this Test. England's batting is too deep and Broad will enjoy this pitch.

At the moment, the probabilities are something like England win > Draw > Indian win.

65-35 England atm. India need to make quick inroads tomorrow to have any chance of making a strong comeback. I wouldn't be worried of this will remain a patta, but I expect it to break down and get more difficult for the batting team. So India desperately need quick wickets tomorrow, otherwise Stokes, Mo and Bairstow can hurt India real bad and it will be an uphill task of salvaging the game for the India.

England win or a boring draw.

I do not see any assistance for spinners even on Day-4. The pitch is very slow and wickets are difficult to come unless batsmen throws it away.

India are a batsman short and with Gambhir, we are effectively playing with 4 batsmen. Vijay/Kohli/Pujara/Rahane. These guys cannot score big hundreds. None of them have scored big in recent times except for Kohli who seems to be playing 1 good innings every series.

England will easily score 550 here. India will be under huge pressure to avoid follow on. We do not perform well with bat when trying to save a Test. All of our batsmen are stoke makers and will give English bowlers enough chances.

I do not see English spinners doing much damage on this pitch. It will be their pacers who will get wickets.

Wonder what Kiwis and Saffers have done to BCCI as they got some real turners. None of the pitches were super flat like this. Perhaps a under the table deal between ECB and BCCI. You give us a few flat pitches in England, we give you a few flat ones in India :))

I remember how Nasser, Botham were whining when India won the lords Test saying that this is not an English pitch. This is more like an India pitch. Guess they will happy when the opposite happens.

I think India are a bit overrated. Can see them struggling if they lose this Test. England's batting is too deep and Broad will enjoy this pitch.

Dunno where we stand.

A developing team.

So yeah....can be called over-rated if we are looking at it from a stability point of view.

I think one bad bowling day is making this England look better than what it is. Not taking any credit from them. They fought hard and played well.

I would be super surprised if England win this series.

At the moment, the probabilities are something like England win > Draw > Indian win.

65-35 England atm. India need to make quick inroads tomorrow to have any chance of making a strong comeback. I wouldn't be worried of this will remain a patta, but I expect it to break down and get more difficult for the batting team. So India desperately need quick wickets tomorrow, otherwise Stokes, Mo and Bairstow can hurt India real bad and it will be an uphill task of salvaging the game for the India.

Serves us well for dishing out this flat pitch.

Probably BCCI thought that Virat will the toss. :bumble

Dude these pitches will help us long term. Logically as you say, we may lose here but let's play in this kind of situation with our backs to the wall. Its just 1 test.

Also don't think this is a hopeless patta where no wickets can be taken. The grass covering is holding the pitch together preventing turn (hardly any beatens today).

But with good bowling, teams can be restricted here.

Had we bowled well and taken our catches, Eng would be 290-6 which would would seem totally different situation. Even now a collapse can't be ruled out.

Last edited:
So no one wants to discuss?

Just vote...

Haha.....

Saw only [MENTION=139682]LastManstanding[/MENTION] voting for an Indian win while [MENTION=45152]Saurav[/MENTION] voted for an English win.

Too many variables here to judge (weak Indian batting, weak English bowling, strong tail for both sides, etc) but I will be optimistic and go for the same (Indian win) or a draw depending on how the pitch plays.

May end up to be a cracker of a game in the end.

If Indian batting were strong,I'd have gone for a draw

England will definitely get 450+ here,We would need to atleast match it to force a win.And do it quickly.All that with 4 bats+ Gambhir.Moeen the bowler would be tough to handle too.We gonna bat last too.

Odds stacked against us heavily atm

Apparently Kumble wanted flat pitches so that our bowlers don't struggle when they encounter it overseas (like what happened in Aus, NZ, etc.)

To be fair to the pacers, they bowled really well at the start. But the spinners (and fielders obviously) didn't step up today, they need to step up tomorrow.

Apparently Kumble wanted flat pitches so that our bowlers don't struggle when they encounter it overseas (like what happened in Aus, NZ, etc.)

To be fair to the pacers, they bowled really well at the start. But the spinners (and fielders obviously) didn't step up today, they need to step up tomorrow.

What a brilliant idea by Kumble :facepalm:

We can practice on flat pitches in Ranji games. Not in a high profile series like this one.

Did England dish out turners when we toured them? The first Test at Lords, did assist spinners and we won it. England realized their mistake and the following Tests offered no turn.

I know there is a saying in India that you should always give a very warm welcome to your guests with both hands. But perhaps the Rajkotians are taking it a bit too far..:yk

First the best pitch England could've asked for this winter and this..

Cake prepared by the Rajkot hotel staff congratulating Root and Moeen after their great partnership today.

Cw0oUr8WIAAWsry.jpg

Hopefully the English players reciprocate their warm welcome in the games too and go a bit easy tomorrow.:msd

England not gonna cross to 450 in first innings. but they'll lose this match!

People are so negative here.

These are Indian tracks not UAE.

Indian bowlers can change complexion of game in one good session and vice-versa one good session from England bowlers can earn them victory.

Let India bat and then we can say how game might evolve.

In the first test against NZ, India got out for 318 on a good batting pitch. Then, NZ got to 159/1, and India still won by 197 runs. SA were on their way towards an innings defeat against Australia but managed to win comfortably. You can't predict anything until the first 2-3 days.

Will be a draw like Trent Bridge. Umesh Yadav will score a 50.
India will ask for rank turner, but England will win the second test.
Typical Indian pitches will be prepared for the remaining of the series, and India will win the series 3-1 :p

Actually a lot depends on how we bat in our first dig. If we do fairly well then maybe we can push for a win(very slim) or secure a draw else this is a goner.

Seems like England is going to win it because the run-rate has been healthy so far and both teams will not be scoring that much in their 2nd innings.

England would be bitterly disappointed if they lose from here.

I know there is a saying in India that you should always give a very warm welcome to your guests with both hands. But perhaps the Rajkotians are taking it a bit too far..:yk

Cake prepared by the Rajkot hotel staff congratulating Root and Moeen after their great partnership today.

View attachment 70511

Hopefully the English players reciprocate their warm welcome in the games too and go a bit easy tomorrow.:msd

Surprised to see England doing a Pakistan there - Misbah and co always seem to have a cake after a player scores a ton or takes a 5fer.

They'll need 500.

This pitch isn't going to break up until day 4 from the looks of it.

What happened to Shami? Is he injured or something?

India had seemed to caught Pakistan's fielding bug today and some of Kohli's field placements were quite strange especially with no leg slip most of the time where the ball flew past a couple of times.

Not also bowling Mishra a bit more and strangely not taking the new ball as it could have been tried out with by giving it to Ashwin as England showed how they struggled against a spinner bowling with a new ball in Bangladesh.

If England now manage to go till lunch with not more than losing one wicket and end up getting 450 at least in their first innings then it could be a very interesting day tomorrow and set up a good test.

I hope England win just so the difference between Ind and Pak in the rankings decreases. Nothing personal against the parosis :srini

India. I voted just now meaning after the first day was over. :)

this proves how ineffective ashwin is without rank turners. yasir shah has bowled on these pitches his whole career (with the exception of SL and last day UAE pitches), and while he goes for around 100 runs as well, he usually gets 5-6 wickets to go with the 100 runs conceded.

England will score 450 at least, bundle India out for under 300, England bat again and make 150-250, bowl India out for around 250

My prediction:shakib

Its not going to be raging turner.

England need to try and get 450 here , and employ attacking fields. Without attacking fields it will be a draw. You will need to get the batsman out on this surface.

They'll need 500.

This pitch isn't going to break up until day 4 from the looks of it.

Moeen, Stokes, Bairstow, Woakes, Ansari and Rashid are enough for England to get in excess of 500 from here on out. Just need to bat sensibly and not suffer a collapse early in the first session. England have batting right down to #11.

I hope England win just so the difference between Ind and Pak in the rankings decreases. Nothing personal against the parosis :srini

I hope England win the series but not by a large margin so Pakistan leapfrog both of them after crushing the Kiwis and get to the top. And yeah, best if South Africa win their series but lose one game in the process, so they stay comfortably behind King Misbah and his Pak army.

Shocking captaincy by Kohli.

He is soo good generally but today he is worse than even Angelo Mathews.

Worse than Angelo Mathews....let that sink in.

Is there any doubt?

We are getting smashed beyond belief.

Shocking captaincy by Kohli.

He is soo good generally but today he is worse than even Angelo Mathews.

Worse than Angelo Mathews....let that sink in.

Was always going to get tested overseas. It's a good thing we are getting hammered here. Coming away with a draw will be a very good result for us now. Kohli will sure have a grey hair or two after the match.:yk

But our weakness has always been that our bowlers go flat on flat tracks. Remember at Johannesburg when the track became a patta and our bowlers struggled to defend around 450 runs. Also at Wellington when it became a patta after about a day or so and we let Brendon score a triple century and was on the verge of losing a match which we should have won in 4 days. Our bowlers were struggling on the pattas of Australia as well. If there is one little positive India can take from this match, despite the poor captaincy, poor bowling by the spinners and atrocious fielding, the pacers did manage to create chances time and again but only to be squandered by butterfingers.

Was always going to get tested overseas. It's a good thing we are getting hammered here. Coming away with a draw will be a very good result for us now. Kohli will sure have a grey hair or two after the match.:yk

But our weakness has always been that our bowlers go flat on flat tracks. Remember at Johannesburg when the track became a patta and our bowlers struggled to defend around 450 runs. Also at Wellington when it became a patta after about a day or so and we let Brendon score a triple century and was on the verge of losing a match which we should have won in 4 days. Our bowlers were struggling on the pattas of Australia as well. If there is one little positive India can take from this match, despite the poor captaincy, poor bowling by the spinners and atrocious fielding, the pacers did manage to create chances time and again but only to be squandered by butterfingers.

From what little I saw of England play spin in this test of the few balls that turned...England ain't winning this series for sure but they are most likely gonna take this match. We gotta play super well to avoid a loss.

This is a great pitch really.

Exposes a lot of weaknesses and forces the team to get better.

Should have it every now and then.

From what little I saw of England play spin in this test of the few balls that turned...England ain't winning this series for sure but they are most likely gonna take this match. We gotta play super well to avoid a loss.

This is a great pitch really.

Exposes a lot of weaknesses and forces the team to get better.

Should have it every now and then.

The pacers I think have definitely improved. Earlier they used to be absolutely impotent on pattas. But both the bowlers have looked good this match. Yadav still has a habit of bowling a bad ball every over but Shami has been very consistent despite the injury concerns. Bhuvi would've helped the attack as well. Agreed, this will only help the team improve because our biggest weakness overseas are the pattas and not the green tracks which will rather help our pacers.

What happened to Shami? Is he injured or something?

India had seemed to caught Pakistan's fielding bug today and some of Kohli's field placements were quite strange especially with no leg slip most of the time where the ball flew past a couple of times.

Not also bowling Mishra a bit more
and strangely not taking the new ball as it could have been tried out with by giving it to Ashwin as England showed how they struggled against a spinner bowling with a new ball in Bangladesh.

If England now manage to go till lunch with not more than losing one wicket and end up getting 450 at least in their first innings then it could be a very interesting day tomorrow and set up a good test.

More than made up for it today :)

So whats the status now guys?

If India are still batting at the end of Day-3, it will be a draw.

If India only loses 4 or 5 wickets at the end of Day-3, it will be a bore fest draw.

If England can bundle us out around Tea on Day-3, England should win.

Won't be easy for England to dispatch India that easily on this track unless cracks open up all of a sudden and the pitch starts spitting venom.

People forget that Indian lower order can score in excess of 150 in Indian conditions easily.

Saha/Ashwin/Jaddu/Mishra can all score runs. Indian batting is also deep. Can we trust the tail to bail out India if needed? Have to see. Our tail did pretty well against Kiwis.

If India are still batting at the end of Day-3, it will be a draw.

If India only loses 4 or 5 wickets at the end of Day-3, it will be a bore fest draw.

If England can bundle us out around Tea on Day-3, England should win.

Won't be easy for England to dispatch India that easily on this track unless cracks open up all of a sudden and the pitch starts spitting venom.

People forget that Indian lower order can score in excess of 150 in Indian conditions easily.

Saha/Ashwin/Jaddu/Mishra can all score runs. Indian batting is also deep. Can we trust the tail to bail out India if needed? Have to see. Our tail did pretty well against Kiwis.

Let's hope so.

Will we never get out of these pommie clutches? :))

I don't know whether this track could turn rogue but need to keep out the odd dangerous balls and we can probably score tomorrow. Application is crucial.

Let's hope so.

Will we never get out of these pommie clutches? :))

I don't know whether this track could turn rogue but need to keep out the odd dangerous balls and we can probably score tomorrow. Application is crucial.

Do you honestly think England would have score more than 200 if they had played on the same pitches that NZ played?

The pitch conditions that NZ played is very different from this Rajkot. England just got lucked out.

This is the same England that got owned in BD 1 week ago on a turner. There is no mental block for us against England. At least not in India.

Blame the curator and BCCi for doling out this highway. True bounce, no movement, no spin(except for 1 or 2 deliveries every 15-20 overs) means its a T20 wicket.

Combine all these things with lightning quick outfiled. A mere push in the gaps will fetch he batsman 4 runs. Root, Stokes and Ali plundered many boundaries just giving a gentle caress to the ball in the gaps.

India should look to bat out Day-3 and make English bowlers toil in the sun too. I don't see cracks opening up much on Day-3 too. Though there is a little more assitance to spinners now than on Day-1 and the first 2 sessions of Day-2.

India 1st inng - 620 all out
England 2nd innig - 190/10.

Target 110. India will win by 7 wickets.

India 1st inng - 620 all out
England 2nd innig - 190/10.

Target 110. India will win by 7 wickets.

You would get pretty long betting odds on that happening but would be worth a bet anyways just to try and win some big money.

Do you honestly think England would have score more than 200 if they had played on the same pitches that NZ played?

The pitch conditions that NZ played is very different from this Rajkot. England just got lucked out.

This is the same England that got owned in BD 1 week ago on a turner. There is no mental block for us against England. At least not in India.

Blame the curator and BCCi for doling out this highway. True bounce, no movement, no spin(except for 1 or 2 deliveries every 15-20 overs) means its a T20 wicket.

Combine all these things with lightning quick outfiled. A mere push in the gaps will fetch he batsman 4 runs. Root, Stokes and Ali plundered many boundaries just giving a gentle caress to the ball in the gaps.

India should look to bat out Day-3 and make English bowlers toil in the sun too. I don't see cracks opening up much on Day-3 too. Though there is a little more assitance to spinners now than on Day-1 and the first 2 sessions of Day-2.

1. Yes...England lucked out with this pitch but then if we want to be good, we shouldn't be worrying about the pitch. After all, its still an Asian pitch. I wouldn't have minded this if we had bowled well and still they got this score. We played like lulloos and turned 450 into 550. Our fault.

2. England would have defo scored more than Kiwis due to longer batting and mental strength but not this much.

3. Let's see what this Indian side's mental strength is. It will be tested in this game and series.

People blaming Kohli captaincy need to understand that it was not his fault that catches were put down.

Kohli did not bowl Mishra much on Day-1. Everyone blamed him for not using Leggie well. On Day-2, he gave a long spell to Mishra who looked out of rhythm. Everyone is blaming him for not bowling Jaddu.

When Jaddu came back, he got carted too.

No matter which spinner bowled, the result would have been the same. Just swing the bat and you get runs. No turn to trouble the batsmen's attacking shots. Every spinner got destroyed and every batsman made merry.

Main thing is, had those easy catches were taken, England would not have score more than 350. Fielding was appalling. Not just catching. Even the ground fielding.

Shocking captaincy by Kohli. He is soo good generally but today he is worse than even Angelo Mathews. Worse than Angelo Mathews....let that sink in. .

There are no alternatives for India. This is Pakistani-esque reaction from you :yk

Seriously tho, a captain can only do so much. India's main bowler was neutralized so let's not be harsh on Kohli here. Game is heading towards a draw (unless a dramatic Indian or English batting collapse occurs).

There are no alternatives for India. This is Pakistani-esque reaction from you :yk

Seriously tho, a captain can only do so much. India's main bowler was neutralized so let's not be harsh on Kohli here. Game is heading towards a draw (unless a dramatic Indian or English batting collapse occurs).

You watched Kohli's decisions today?

It had a HUGE impact in the game. Not all bowlers were rubbish all the time.

Draw or an India win if England completely collapse in their second innings (very much possible).

I think, both sides have batted too slow for an Indian win. Around 475 behind with 270 overs left, therefore not enough time for IND to force a result. At this rate IND will need to bat till 4th day end to get a lead. But, ENG very much in the game - Indian openers have batted really well, but they haven't run away with the game. Couple of wickets in 3rd morning & IND will go to lunch at 150/2; when I believe reverse swing & spin will come in to play. SG ball actually favors the blowers more after 50 overs & the wicket will break a bit, I am sure.

Still, I think IND will do great to avoid defeat here.

India's day has made the test even stevens.

What we need to do is play the whole day tomorrow and score another 300-350 runs (with tired bowlers leaking towards the end). Easy to say but talking about aim. A lead of 100 and England would be under the pump big time on Day 5.

What's more likely to happen is we would huff and puff to match England's score (barring a complete collapse) which would make it a 1 innings shoot out (from where all 3 results are possible again).

England will collapse in the 3rd Innings. India will chase 146 runs, and will win it easily.

I still think ENG is in advantage, that's only because of the wonderful job by Vijay & Pujara. Still, 218 behind with 6 wickets at hand, but I think ENG will get a lead - how much depends on how the catch & how IND attacks. The match is in a situation that occupying time might not help IND - it'll only make ENG secure to press for victory.

One of ENG's biggest advantage is, they are the best team with batting depth to cover a 3rd innings collapse. A lead of 50 for IND in such cases might have won against any team, but ENG bats deep - I don't see them collapsing for less than 200.

Can't tell what will happen, but realistically for both teams my two options are -

ENG : IND all-out after lunch for ~438; ENG batting positively to score 200+ & set IND 300+ to chase in around 100 overs.

IND : Bat till last hour, may be couple of overs on 5th morning, get to 600+ & attack all out for a target under 100 in last hour.

Draw : IND bat slowly to reach either side of ENG marginally with around 100-120 overs left in the match; ENG batting cautiously till tea Day 5 & set an improbable target in last session - match called off, 30 minutes early.

As of now, I see the 3rd option most likely.

England will collapse in the 3rd Innings. India will chase 146 runs, and will win it easily.

First India needs to score another 220 odd runs to start thinking about a lead. 2 batsmen and a keeper left here. Then tail starts. 2 quick wickets will put India in a huge disadvantage. On other hands , 70-80 runs partnership here will take the game towards draw. If India gets a huge partnership , only then a question of Indian win comes here.

India win. india will add another 100 from here then collapse, England too bundle out under 100, India to chase 220 odd runs with one whole day left :kohli

Heading towards a draw unless India spectacularly collapses.

I expect India to prise out a few early wickets tomorrow and put England under pressure but they will bat fine and give us a safe target and we will bat fine and then shake hands.

Off to Vizag the rank turner.

All three results are still possible: Adil Rashid

Rajkot, Nov 12 (PTI) A draw may seem the most likely outcome but England leg-spinner Adil Rashid did not rule out the possibility of a result in the opening cricket Test against India here today.

The match meandered towards a draw after a solid century stand by the visiting team's openers - Alastair Cook and Haseeb Hameed - in their second innings on the fourth and penultimate day.

"I think all three (victory for either team or draw) are possible. There's still a lot of cricket to be played tomorrow. First we got to come out, get the runs on the board and see what position we are at lunch time. If we are in a good position we might just give it a bowl and see what happens," said Rashid who claimed 4 for 114, including the wickets of centurion Murali Vijay and captain Virat Kohli, in India's first innings.

When Kohli was dismissed hit wicket while pulling Rashid, it was the first instance of an Indian batsman getting out in this fashion in 14 years.

The leggie said it gave him a good feeling to capture the in-form batsman's wicket.

"Probably when Jonny Bairstow first pointed at the stumps, we all looked at the stumps and Virat was in a bit of shock that he stood his wickets, you know. It's a good feeling," said Rashid about the freak dismissal and how the team came to know of it.

Rashid said he had been working with former Pakistan off-spinner Saqlain Mushtaq - who is here as England's bowling consultant - mostly on field placements.

"I've been working more on setting fields, what kind of game plans to get batsmen out in these conditions. Obviously the pace is the key, the pace which I'm comfortable at and the pace where I can spin the ball the most is crucial. I am just maintaining that, just believing that and being confident and doing the skills out in the middle.

"Obviously the more you play, the more comfortable you feel, especially here. They make you feel at home, so I felt quite at home."

Asked about the Indian tail wagging, he said the side knew the home team's lower order could bat a bit.

From 319 for four, India carried on to make 488 with Ravichandran Ashwin making 70 and shepherding the other batsmen behind him.

"That's cricket for you. Partnerships lower down the order. Numbers 6, 7, 8 and 9 - they all can bat. We knew that if we didn't bowl well, they are going to score runs and that's what happened. We accept whatever the lead is, we're happy with the lead. Hopefully, we can play well."

Praising Haseeb Hameed, the debutant opener, Rashid said he was a fine talent.

"He's been very good. He's got a head. He's a very level sort of boy, works hard in the nets and is a great talent.

He's very calm, very organised. He's a hard-worker as well.

He's got a good sense of humour and he fits very well into the dressing room. Hopefully, he can carry on for many more years to come.

http://www.ptinews.com/news/8070695_All-three-results-are-still-possible--Adil-Rashid.html

I think, ENG will use the heaviest roller tomorrow (today). Depending on how much the wicket breaks, they might declare after lunch.

These days, every Test Captain is extremely defensive, hence I don't have much expectation. But, I would have loved to see ENG going crazy & declare/all-out at around 250, 40 minutes before Lunch & set India something like 300 in 70 overs.

View attachment 70511

:)))

That's pretty funny

Draw is most likely , England have some chance to win.

Disappointed with India's performance. Should have got a lead of at least 80 runs or at least could have taken 3-4 wickets in that last session. Had that happened, India would have been in driving seat now. I am still hoping for India's win. I hope Eng declares after reaching 300. That would give both teams a go at the victory. India either will chase or get bowled out in search of quick runs or even a tense draw. It's all in the hands of England. It's them who have been dictating the match right from the first session. Wasted a good opportunity with both bat and ball today.

In all likelihood, this is what going to happen though. England will bat for 50 overs, score 200 runs, which will give India a target in excess of 360 in 40 overs, only for both captains to shake hands at the last hour.

Back