"When I was small I loved Pakistan cricket team and I enjoyed watching Waqar Younis" : Usain Bolt

TAK

First Class Captain
Runs
"When I was small I loved Pakistan cricket team and I enjoyed watching Waqar Younis" : Usain Bolt

ON my visits to Cardiff, the capital city of Wales in the county Glamorgan, I am always reminded of four great men of the game who in no uncertain way have left a lasting memory of their presence on these climes when playing the game.

Rain, murky conditions and an uncertain start to the One-day International series between England and South Africa at the Sophia Gardens and later its abandonment thus provides me with this opportunity to throw some light on those who made their mark in this part of the world. Not Usain Bolt of course.

But now that Bolt — the legendary Jamaican sprinter — is in the limelight for having won a record number of six gold medals in Olympics (including three he claimed in 2012 London Games), I need not forget to mention him first besides those four cricketers, because he is in my frame for being one of the greatest fans of Pakistan cricket and its legendary fast bowler Waqar Younis who with his bowling feats once won the Glamorgan the County Championship in 1997.

Bolt and his running mate Yohan Blake, the silver medallist in 100-metre and 200-metre events in London, are both cricketers of some sort and play for Kingston Cricket Club in Jamaica. Their enthusiasm about the game is now attracting investors to include them in the Big Bash League in Australia.

What we did not know however was that Bolt as a schoolboy adored Waqar and Pakistan cricket. May be he liked the way Waqar ran to deliver the ball, like a sprinter in a fluid and fluent run-up of his which had become his hallmark.

Once Bolt famously replied while being interviewed about who were his heroes during his childhood: “When I was really small I loved Pakistan cricket team. Waqar was one of the greatest Pakistan bowlers ever, and I was a bowler so I really enjoyed watching him. I was a big Pakistan fan until I got older when I noticed that I should actually support my home team.”

When asked, what if there was a match between West Indies and Pakistan, Bolt had remarked: “I would still have supported Pakistan, that is what I am saying — when I was little, it was all about Pakistan.”

Waqar, the Wisden Cricketer of the Year in 1992, will of course be proud to know that the fastest man in the world was his greatest fan.

Now the other great who graced these shores was the best cricket all-rounder ever — Sir Garfield Sobers. The glorious Sobers once hit 365 in a Test against Pakistan in 1957-58 at Jamaica and while playing for Nottinghamshire against Glamorgan at Sawnsea in 1968 he hit six sixes off an over. Ravi Shastri later emulated the feat in Indian domestic cricket.

The Welsh people are a friendly lot and the cricket fans have never forgotten Sobers’s feat nor they did the presence of Majid Khan playing for Glamorgan. Majid, the former Cambridge University captain, was a tremendous stroke-maker and very popular figure.

He later captained Glamorgan and Pakistan as well. On Pakistan’s 1967 tour of England he hit five sixes in a row at Sawnsea against Glamorgan while facing Roger Davies, an exceptionally valiant display which got Majid the contract to play for the county.

Javed Miandad, Pakistan’s most successful batsman, was as much a success, delighting the Welsh crowd with his consistency and uncanny ability to grind any attack into submission.

Welsh people have not forgotten all these legends and their action photographs still continue to attract people at their new pavilion.

Once the locals discover that even Bolt is a fan of Waqar — one of their greats — they will obviously include him in the corridors of their pavilion with as much pride.

https://www.dawn.com/news/744487

Last edited by a moderator:
Heard that he was a big cricket fan prior to going into athletics. Champion. Who's hero isn't Waqar? :younis

We should make him an honorary Pakistani :O

Good to hear. I'm sure the great Waqar Younis has many non-Pakistani fans.

The great inswinging yorker. :younis

WHAOOO he just sayss I was Pakistan Fan!!!!! Greattt to hearrr..........

Thread title updated

It's the early 90's I'm assuming the time period he means and the excitement factor around the side was amazing..lead first by Imran Khan being an almost iconic global figure following in his footsteps were two even more flamboyant cricketers in Waqar and Wasim..it's amazing how the two captured the attention of people even with a glancing interest in cricket.

who isn't a fan of waqar and his killer yorkers?

Unless you are the poor batsman at the end of it.

If Usain shows some interest in bowling it would be a real sight to watch when he runs up the crease. Holding was an athlete too. He ran 400 meter i think

So what if a non pakistani is a fan of a pakistan player/team. No need to go ga ga over it like some small child. We know Waqar was a great, that's all that matters.

On_the_up said:
So what if a non pakistani is a fan of a pakistan player/team. No need to go ga ga over it like some small child. We know Waqar was a great, that's all that matters.

Come on they are just having a bit of fun....

On_the_up said:

lol. Ya.. little pleasures though for fans. It is like chocolate fudge brownie is bragging to other drinks .. "Hey i am Lara's favorite" :p

I was already a huge fan of Usain Bolt... but now he's one of us lol...

I have allways liked carl lewis and michael johnson, but that is history now. From today its USAIN for all the money :))

lol - great soundbite from a non cricket affliated sports star- an honest cricket fan -

it IS a little controversial for a region famed for its own fast bowling heros - I'm sure its rubbed some small minded people up teh wrong way

on that note I'm sure teh day can't be far when Pak batsmen refer to foreigners as their heroes (i.e some indians we know!

KA$H said:
lol - great soundbite from a non cricket affliated sports star- an honest cricket fan -

it IS a little controversial for a region famed for its own fast bowling heros - I'm sure its rubbed some small minded people up teh wrong way

on that note I'm sure teh day can't be far when Pak batsmen refer to foreigners as their heroes (i.e some indians we know!

Brian Lara is My Hero :D but Pakistan will always be my team

Just proof what a team we were in those days - he is one of very many non-pakistanis that would switch on just to see pak play.

Yet there are some people who prefer the boredom that we have become.

Sultan Yusuf said:
Just proof what a team we were in those days - he is one of very many non-pakistanis that would switch on just to see pak play.

Yet there are some people who prefer the boredom that we have become.
No one prefers the current team to those teams. But you have to live with what you've got.

Great to hear from Usain. I remember once watching a UEFA Champions League game on ITV, where one of the commentators (Clive Tyldesley?) was describing an attempted long range free kick and he said, 'You need some Waqar Younis inswing to score from there', or words to that affect.

Last edited:
Gujar said:
Great to hear from Usain. I remember once watching a UEFA Champions League game on ITV, where one of the commentators (Clive Tyldesley?) was descriribing an attempted long range free kick and he sad, 'You need some Waqar Younis inswing to score from there', or words to that affect.

Yeah I remember that quote, but can't remember the match (it was last year).

I think there was even a thread about it here.

Gujar said:
Great to hear from Usain. I remember once watching a UEFA Champions League game on ITV, where one of the commentators (Clive Tyldesley?) was describing an attempted long range free kick and he said, 'You need some Waqar Younis inswing to score from there', or words to that affect.

lol thats awesome really - when u think he wasn't the biggest swinger of teh ball - probably just teh quickest and most accurate - thereby most unplayable

Maybe the PCB could entice him to play for Pakistan, we could do with a "fast" bowler at the moment.

Good words from Usain Bolt :)

Pakistan need to play with flair again and they will have fans from the world over, just like the good old days.

Gujar said:

Cos im sad BUT it was during Euro 2008 - Sweden v Greece, Larsson had an attempt which went quite wide which prompted the commentator to make that comment :younis

Pakistan has always been in love with their Fast bowling now we need fast bowlers to replace shoaib Akhtar.

Below is what he actually said

"The person I looked up to was Waqar Younis because he had a great in-swinging yorker. He was wonderful. Pakistan was my team when I was six when I started watching cricket. I enjoyed watching them play," he revealed.

This is great stuff and very pleasing. Ofcourse it is another testimony of great Waqar Younis's bowling skills.

Usain Bolt mentions the Pakistan supporting and Waqar Younis thing again..

I wonder if Waqar knows that one of the biggest sporting superstars of today is a big fan of his..

http://www.sport-magazine.co.uk/122/122_article_left_1.htm

Who were your heroes when you were young?

“Actually, when I was really small I loved the Pakistan cricket team. Waqar Younis was one of the greatest bowlers ever, and I was a bowler so I really enjoyed watching him. I was a big Pakistan fan until I got older, when I noticed that I should actually support my home team.”

But what if Pakistan had played the Windies?

“I would still have supported Pakistan, that’s what I’m saying – when I was little, it was all about Pakistan.”

Last edited:
Pakpassion should try and interview him!

Difficult I know but would be brilliant if he could give pakpassion an exclusive insight into all this stuff about him supporting the Pakistan team!

this is like the 3rd interview i've read of his where he talks of pak cricket and waqar younis in particular

a true true fan

make him an honorary Pakistani

Jaane Bhi Do Yaaron said:
The only way to get an Olympic medal? :)
Apart from the 7 gold, 2 silver and 3 bronze medals (thats just to mention the hockey, not weightlifting etc), then yeah why not? :)

Ali888 said:

This guy is very smart. He can run even faster than this, he just waits for the big championships to break his own record.

there is an athletics thread going on in sports corner
This guy is very smart. He can run even faster than this, he just waits for the big championships to break his own record.
yes as they get good money for doing that. Some tournaments $100K+. Learn from Sergie Bubka the Pole Vaulter. Runners have to slow down so a little harder but Bubka only had to say raise the bar by 0.5-1 cm and even if he clears it by 2 inches he only broke his record by 0.5-1 cm

Last edited:
Guys we do have a sports forum :)

For a moment I thought Usain Bolt mentioned Waqar and co. again.

Usain Bolt On Pakistan

When I was really small, I loved the Pakistan cricket team. Waqar Younis was one of the greatest bowlers ever, and I was a bowler so I really enjoyed watching him. I was a big fan until I got older, when I noticed that I should actually support my home team...when I was little, it was all about Pakistan

The world's fastest man, Jamaica's Usain Bolt, on his first love in cricket - Pakistan and everything Pakistani

Last edited:
so_so_fabulous said:
When I was really small, I loved the Pakistan cricket team. Waqar Younis was one of the greatest bowlers ever, and I was a bowler so I really enjoyed watching him. I was a big fan until I got older, when I noticed that I should actually support my home team...when I was little, it was all about Pakistan

The world's fastest man, Jamaica's Usain Bolt, on his first love in cricket - Pakistan and everything Pakistani

It was really good to hear him say that. :D

I wonder if Waqar knows. If any of the mod's get in touch with Waqar it would be great to tell him about this.

Does he ball as fast as he runs?? If anything the W.Indies could do with hin the side just field as a sub n save all the boundaries haha

Danny Morrison and Waqar talked about it when it came up on the screen.

Not sure how to insert the image, got the screenshot on a word doc.

Can't upload it due to the size but they had a discussion and looked proud that Bolt liked him

Last edited:
Waqar said Bolt made the right decision by not becoming a fast bowler. That's the only part i caught from their conversation. What else did they say, chandulara?

Waqar Younis was my inspiration: Usain Bolt

London: Usain Bolt, the fastest man on the Earth, is a huge fan of none other than Burewala Express , Pakistan former fast bowler Waqar Younis. Pakistan’s legendary pacer Waqar Younis was his childhood hero.
Jamaica’s Usain Bolt successfully retained his title of fastest man on earth by winning the 100m race in London Olympics 2012 on Sunday. The Jamaican also broke his Beijing Olympic record of the 100m race.
“The person I looked up to was Waqar Younis because he had a great in-swinging yorker. He was wonderful. Pakistan was my team when I was six when I started watching cricket. I enjoyed watching them play,” he had said in an interview in the past.
Olympic 100m champion Usain Bolt also had said that if he would not be an athlete than he would be a fast bowler like Waqar Younis. He further said that he used to be quite handy with the bat and ball before getting into athletics.
Usain is also fan of Indian master blaster, Sachin Tendulkar and West Indies player Chris Gayle.
On Oct 19, 2009, the world’s fastest man Usain Bolt proved that he is a world beater on the cricket pitch when he smashed Chris Gayle for six before clean bowling the West Indies captain in a charity match in Jamaica.

http://www.thenewstribe.com/2012/08/07/worlds-fastest-man-inspired-from-waqar-younis/#.UCIRAPYgceo

Shame too few on here rate him so highly. Waqar was one of the most talented teenagers no doubt, officially at least, but hardly gets a mention in the thread.

Worlds fastest man Idealize Waqar Younis

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/tms/2009/02/windies_triumph_delights_bolt.shtml

Although brought up in Jamaica, it was not local fast bowlers like Courtney Walsh and Michael Holding who were Bolt's early cricket heroes.
"The person I looked up to was Waqar Younis because he had a great in-swinging yorker. He was wonderful. Pakistan was my team when I was six when I started watching cricket. I enjoyed watching them play," he revealed.

It seems like an old article but just found out now...
Usain Bolt a fan of Pakistan cricket... :afridi

I've already heard him mention this. I think he and Blake are cricket fans, which is not surprising given that cricket is such a major sport in the West Indies. I think you will also find that Bolt became a runner after he tried to emulate Waqar as a bowler, at which point his coach pointed out his incredible speed in his run-up. That's when he took up running.

Wonder if Usain Bolt is also following this development! :)

If he wanted to get an ipl contract he should have said "Sachin Tendulkar was my hero and India was my team" :p

Waqar hustling Greenidge and Haynes. What a bowler!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ZNMy4HDLzp4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Clearly prefers a PSL contract over an IPL one. :raja

I am sure he is a better fast bowler than the ones playing.

Last edited:
Back