When will we realise that "bits and pieces" players won't win us anything of note?

Wasim_Waqar

First Class Captain
Runs
Post of the Week
We have only beaten India in ONE t20 courtesy mainly of an excellent bowling performance.

Bits and pieces players like Kamran, Malik and Hafeez (the latter with his batting: he could be shoved down the order) will not win us anything in the year 2014 or onwards.

Umar Gul is no longer a force of old either which is sad to see...

We also need to realize that there is not an abundance of quality cricketers in domestic cricket who'd be world beaters at the highest level.

99% of them are likely to be rubbish.

Its a sad fact.

team selector needs to get booted ..
not only in T20s , for a very long time in ODIs too **** picks hafeez + afridi + 4 bowlers ..

but our kaptain goto the pitch with 4 bowlers only :msd

We have only beaten India in ONE t20 courtesy mainly of an excellent bowling performance.

Bits and pieces players like Kamran, Malik and Hafeez (the latter with his batting: he could be shoved down the order) will not win us anything in the year 2014 or onwards.

Umar Gul is no longer a force of old either which is sad to see...
While I agree, you need to be much more ruthless with your assessment
Hafeez, Malik, Afridi are all bits and pieces.
You play Afridi at an allrounders position even though he is a tailender.
The moment one starts justifying that so and so can play because his batting is crap at top but can somehow work at lower down the order, you are justifying a generally mediocre players place in team.
All three need to go.
My god, I shudder at the thought that hafeez is an automatic choice in any format for Paktan. A player who owes his place in team to the one year in which Ijaz butt keep Malik out of the team during which period he filled his boots playing on flat surfaces against Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Zimbabwe.

I agree with @ Mamoon , problem is much deeper, there is genuine lack of Talent.

While I agree, you need to be much more ruthless with your assessment
Hafeez, Malik, Afridi are all bits and pieces.
You play Afridi at an allrounders position even though he is a tailender.
The moment one starts justifying that so and so can play because his batting is crap at top but can somehow work at lower down the order, you are justifying a generally mediocre players place in team.
All three need to go.
My god, I shudder at the thought that hafeez is an automatic choice in any format for Paktan. A player who owes his place in team to the one year in which Ijaz butt keep Malik out of the team during which period he filled his boots playing on flat surfaces against Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Zimbabwe.

Was trying to be slightly gentle :)

I have asked for their removal before the Asia Cup but had a change of heart regarding Shahid after his form pre-injury.

Bits and pieces players won the T20 WC, last time for the Windies.

Re: When will we realise that "bits and pieces" players won't win us anything of note

Bits and pieces players won the T20 WC, last time for the Windies.

Samuels, Gayle are proper batsmen. Badree, Narine, Rampaul are proper bowlers in this format. Sammy, Pollard and Bravo are bits and pieces but they had proper players around them. And in the semis and final, Gayle and Samuels the proper players turned up.

People habe gone crazy after the defeat to Indians. You:re still overall a far better t20 unit than us and would still achieve moremore in this tourney itself. We wont beat west indies or aussies.

Samuels, Gayle are proper batsmen. Badree, Narine, Rampaul are proper bowlers in this format. Sammy, Pollard and Bravo are bits and pieces but they had proper players around them. And in the semis and final, Gayle and Samuels the proper players turned up.

This.

Every player in the starting 11 should justify his position in at least one discipline. Then Hafeez's batting (down the order) and Afridi's hitting can be seen as a bonus.

Even all-rounders have to justify their position based on their strong suit.

But they had more A/R's than any other team.

Narine can bat and has batted for the Windies at no. 5 or 6, plus both Samuels and Gayle can also bowl, so they have a lot of A/R options.

We started giving too much importance to bits and pieces players right after 2003 world cup, Malik, Hafeez, Rana Naveed are prime examples who consolidated their places for many years in the team despite having shoddy performances in many matches. The ghost of Malik is haunting us a big time.

Re: When will we realise that "bits and pieces" players won't win us anything of note

But they had more A/R's than any other team.

Narine can bat and has batted for the Windies at no. 5 or 6, plus both Samuels and Gayle can also bowl, so they have a lot of A/R options.

I think you are confusing part timers with ARs. Gayle and Samuels are both proper batsmen who have test centuries (Gayle has two triples). They are good for an over or two but their primary skill of batting is far ahead of their bowling. Likewise, Narine is always there for his bowling. If he can hit a couple of boundaries, good enough. These days in Pakistan when a bowler turns up, I don't know why people want him to concentrate on his batting if he can hit a couple of sixes. Let him develop a primary skill set first and then go about developing other facets. Look at Bhatti and Anwar. Let them be bowlers first and then look towards their batting.

Was trying to be slightly gentle :)

I have asked for their removal before the Asia Cup but had a change of heart regarding Shahid after his form pre-injury.

Asia cups have always been a boon for Shahid afridi for they feature two of his favorite teams: Sri Lanka and Bangladesh. Nothing to see here, these false draws sustain his career.

Still stuck at it, bits and pieces while genuine batsman Like Haris Sohail are sitting out

Back