Which bowler has clocked most deliveries over 160km/hr?

cricketjoshila

ODI Captain
Runs
Post of the Week
Here i am talking about official speedometer readings that are shown on Tv or have been recognised as being genuinely measured.

From my memory i have the following.

Brett Lee: six times. 3 times in the WC match vs England 2003

Once during the match vs SL in 2003 WC.

Twice in the 2005 NZ ODI.

Jeff Thomson: Thrice. Twice during the 1975 Study and once in 1976 study.

Shaun Tait:Twice. Once vs Pakistan and once vs England.

Shoaib Akhtar: Twice*. Once vs England in 2003 WC, officially the fastest delivery. He was said to have clocked 160 vs NZ in a 2002 ODI in pakistan, but that was never recognised.

Mitchell Starc: Once. Againist NZ in a test.

Please add if i have missed any deliveries. Add the source or video as well.

The amazing thing about Jeff Thomson is that he touched those speed during the only times he was measured. Just imagine how much he clocked when he was not measured.

P.S. I'm not suggesting he was touching 170 kmph like some old timers would like us to believe :D

Last edited:
lol at Jeff getting anywhere close to 160 with those rubbish substandard cameras of the old times. people are really delusional if they think technology moves backwards.

nostalgic people like to believe that past is always great. That's not the case unfortunately.

Lee has clocked the most, also likely due to having a role in the team that allowed him to bowl as fast as he could; not a leading strike bowler. Akhtar was actually good, and him and Thomson are the leading two ultrafast bowlers of all time

More interestingly who has got a wicket on fastest delivery? If i remember Brett lee once got a wkt at 160 km/h

Here i am talking about official speedometer readings that are shown on Tv or have been recognised as being genuinely measured.

From my memory i have the following.

Brett Lee: six times. 3 times in the WC match vs England 2003

Once during the match vs SL in 2003 WC.

Twice in the 2005 NZ ODI.

Jeff Thomson: Thrice. Twice during the 1975 Study and once in 1976 study.

Shaun Tait:Twice. Once vs Pakistan and once vs England.

Shoaib Akhtar: Twice*. Once vs England in 2003 WC, officially the fastest delivery. He was said to have clocked 160 vs NZ in a 2002 ODI in pakistan, but that was never recognised.

Mitchell Starc: Once. Againist NZ in a test.

Please add if i have missed any deliveries. Add the source or video as well.

Holding was faster than Thompson as per many. Imran Khan explained it in great depth in his autobiography. Also I dont think Thompson was that much quicker than Aktar. There is no youtube video suggesting that. It was his accction which made him difficult.

Wow!

I didn't realize Brett Lee crossed 160 KM/H so many times. That's nice.

What about Mohammed Zahid? Did he touch 160 KM/H?

The amazing thing about Jeff Thomson is that he touched those speed during the only times he was measured. Just imagine how much he clocked when he was not measured.

P.S. I'm not suggesting he was touching 170 kmph like some old timers would like us to believe :D

I think I heard that they measured the ball at a different point in those tests than they do with the modern day one so the figures are not comparable. Do you meant the test where IK also went?

More interestingly who has got a wicket on fastest delivery? If i remember Brett lee once got a wkt at 160 km/h

Lee got the wicket on the fastest delivery. Marvan atapattu bowled off a 160.1kph delivery.

Jeff Thompson imo never touched 160 kpm, he wouldve maxed out at 150K at best, his absolute everything effort ball. The bowlers back in those days were inferior athletes compared to bowlers like Lee, Tait, Ahtar etc..

I know I am asking for too much but any ideas who has bowled the complete over with highest average speed?

Jeff Thompson imo never touched 160 kpm, he wouldve maxed out at 150K at best, his absolute everything effort ball. The bowlers back in those days were inferior athletes compared to bowlers like Lee, Tait, Ahtar etc..

Thomson was measured at 160 plus thrice.

Wow!

I didn't realize Brett Lee crossed 160 KM/H so many times. That's nice.

What about Mohammed Zahid? Did he touch 160 KM/H?

One ball, I can recall at Gabba (?), in 1997-98 WSC game against WIN, Zahid reached Moin from a full pitched ball, who was standing on the edge of 30 yards mark and it was still in climb ...... before a guy named BC Lara at his prime could pull down his bat from his high back-lift. There was no speed gun, but I have absolutely no doubt that, it was the fastest ball I had ever seen - could be 163K+!!!!

One ball, I can recall at Gabba (?), in 1997-98 WSC game against WIN, Zahid reached Moin from a full pitched ball, who was standing on the edge of 30 yards mark and it was still in climb ...... before a guy named BC Lara at his prime could pull down his bat from his high back-lift. There was no speed gun, but I have absolutely no doubt that, it was the fastest ball I had ever seen - could be 163K+!!!!

This is the video I believe.

Thomson clocking 160KPH? I do not think the technology regarding that is correct.

This is the video I believe.

This was the game indeed, but not the ball or I might be missing the game here, but surely it was in that WS tournament, when Zahid was at his fastest.

Akhtar bowled 160kph thrice it was 100mph mark which he breached twice,he bowled 161,160,159.5, and 159 kph in series against nz

I’m sure there was an Indian guy clocking 170/180 or so we were told.

Just as provable as Big Foot, no? No doubt he was probably very fast but 160 let alone 170 would be highly suspicious for someone never measured on an actual speed gun

Just as provable as Big Foot, no? No doubt he was probably very fast but 160 let alone 170 would be highly suspicious for someone never measured on an actual speed gun

lol ? I highly doubt he bowled 160. There is no proof he even bowled 150.

Thomson clocking 160KPH? I do not think the technology regarding that is correct.
It was 500 frames per second, which means that it was 20 times more accurate than 21st century speed cameras.

Thommo before he dislocated his shoulder. He made the young Lillee - an express - look like he was in second gear.

I’m sure there was an Indian guy clocking 170/180 or so we were told.

You are right, that's Atul Sharma. His average speed was measured (by the naked eye of people having watched him) at 170 kmph with fastest Speed reaching over 185 kmph.

He is the fastest bowler the world has never seen.

Since, this thread is about international matches, let's refrain from talking about tbe fastest bowler ever.

They had the technology to steer a missile onto Gary Powers at 100,000 feet altitude in 1960, build a 4000 mph plane a year later and put men on the Moon in the same decade. Technology was great then. Just bulkier than it is now.

You are right, that's Atul Sharma. His average speed was measured (by the naked eye of people having watched him) at 170 kmph with fastest Speed reaching over 185 kmph.

Since, this thread is about international matches, let's refrain from talking about tbe fastest bowler ever.

I have a question, this mythical guy, I haven’t read too much about him. If he was so insane why did he never end up playing at the higher levels? To me it seems more like wishful thinking — no doubt he would be fast, but “measured by naked eye” isn’t a valid metric.

I have a question, this mythical guy, I haven’t read too much about him. If he was so insane why did he never end up playing at the higher levels? To me it seems more like wishful thinking — no doubt he would be fast, but “measured by naked eye” isn’t a valid metric.

He was picked by IPL franchise Rajasthan Royals, then got injured and finally retired.

When you bowl at that pace your body is susceptible to injirties, unfortunately for him, his body couldn't cope up.

Regarding his speed, there are few videos on youtube, you can look them up and see for yourself.

lol at 20 times more accurate. lol at being accurate at all. 40 year old antiquated technology is now more advanced than modern technology. Jeff barely bowled 150 let alone 160. All those speed guns of old times are inaccurate. Nostalgia zindabad.

They had the technology to steer a missile onto Gary Powers at 100,000 feet altitude in 1960, build a 4000 mph plane a year later and put men on the Moon in the same decade. Technology was great then. Just bulkier than it is now.

Come on Rob, everyone knows the Nasa Moon landings from back then were fake, the landing took place on an Arizona desert. Anyway even if they landed on the moon and had with all the rocket technology, does not mean they used the same technology to measure fast bowlers in cricket lol. The quick bowlers from back then would have been measured using unreliable speed measuring technology handed out for civilian use.

As times progressed, athletes became stronger and faster it is called evolution. None of your 70's or 80's bowler were a quick as Lee, Akhtar, Tait or even Shane Bond.....

lol ? I highly doubt he bowled 160. There is no proof he even bowled 150

Haha, I was being sarcastic. Pretty much impossible to bowl more than 160kph, unless there is concrete video evidance to prove otherwise, other then auto running round with a cricket ball acting like he is about to throw a javelin.

Come on Rob, everyone knows the Nasa Moon landings from back then were fake, the landing took place on an Arizona desert. Anyway even if they landed on the moon and had with all the rocket technology, does not mean they used the same technology to measure fast bowlers in cricket lol. The quick bowlers from back then would have been measured using unreliable speed measuring technology handed out for civilian use.

As times progressed, athletes became stronger and faster it is called evolution. None of your 70's or 80's bowler were a quick as Lee, Akhtar, Tait or even Shane Bond.....

I just shake my head in sadness when I read things like this. I used to think we were getting smarter. “Everyone” in this case means people who haven’t learned the history and understood the science. They believe the world is flat and vaccines cause autism.

Honestly how hard is it to believe? We got Sputnik-1 into orbit by 1957, and escape velocity was achieved by Luna-1 in 1961, so it’s an easy jump to fly round the Moon and back in Zond-6 and Apollo 10 in 1968 and land in Apollo 11 in 1969. Seriously, don’t you think USSR would have contested it if it were scientifically contestable? They would have got to the Moon weeks before NASA, but their Zond launch vehicle blew up on takeoff.

A film called Capricorn One was released in 1978 about a faked Mars landing and that’s when this Moon conspiracy began.

As for your final point: consider that Bob Beamon’s record, made in 1968, has been exceeded just once since, by a mere 5cm. So humans have not improved significantly at the long jump discipline in 52 years. Usain Bolt is only 10% faster than Jesse Owens was in 1938. Humans have been at their physical limit for decades now and incremental improvements are marginal and tiny. So I don’t believe that Shoaib was quicker over a spell than pre-injury Thomson and am unconvinced that either was quicker than Tyson in the 1950s.

Evolution is the slow change of species over millions of years, not a few decades.

I just shake my head in sadness when I read things like this. I used to think we were getting smarter. “Everyone” in this case means people who haven’t learned the history and understood the science. They believe the world is flat and vaccines cause autism.

Honestly how hard is it to believe? We got Sputnik-1 into orbit by 1957, and escape velocity was achieved by Luna-1 in 1961, so it’s an easy jump to fly round the Moon and back in Zond-6 and Apollo 10 in 1968 and land in Apollo 11 in 1969. Seriously, don’t you think USSR would have contested it if it were scientifically contestable? They would have got to the Moon weeks before NASA, but their Zond launch vehicle blew up on takeoff.

A film called Capricorn One was released in 1978 about a faked Mars landing and that’s when this Moon conspiracy began.

As for your final point: consider that Bob Beamon’s record, made in 1968, has been exceeded just once since, by a mere 5cm. So humans have not improved significantly at the long jump discipline in 52 years. Usain Bolt is only 10% faster than Jesse Owens was in 1938. Humans have been at their physical limit for decades now and incremental improvements are marginal and tiny. So I don’t believe that Shoaib was quicker over a spell than pre-injury Thomson and am unconvinced that either was quicker than Tyson in the 1950s.

Evolution is the slow change of species over millions of years, not a few decades.

Well I am bit of a conspiracy theorist however I am open to the possibility of a Potential Moon landing whilst at the same time giving the thought it was fake. Anyway, it is quite hard to get through to a nostalgic, so lets agree to disagree, my opinion, the bowlers of that generation were inferior athletes to the modern bowlers hence they would be a lot slower...

Well I am bit of a conspiracy theorist however I am open to the possibility of a Potential Moon landing whilst at the same time giving the thought it was fake. Anyway, it is quite hard to get through to a nostalgic, so lets agree to disagree, my opinion, the bowlers of that generation were inferior athletes to the modern bowlers hence they would be a lot slower...

Just look at the evidence - how the rocketry worked, how they steered the capsule, what they left behind as revealed by more recent reconnaissance vehicles:

https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/LRO/multimedia/lroimages/apollosites.html

I am not “a nostalgic”. I look at evidence. Average bowling speeds are certainly up as bowlers get better nutrition and hydration regimes. Anderson is quicker than Botham was, apart from a couple of his top speed bursts. Going back to 1987 footage, Imran was not as fast as I recall. Though he would have dropped in pace since his 79-82 peak before the stress fractures.

If you don’t believe the speed cameras, look at footage of speedsters Larwood and Tyson and see how far back the slips were.

This was the game indeed, but not the ball or I might be missing the game here, but surely it was in that WS tournament, when Zahid was at his fastest.
I actually have that video that everyone is looking for of Zahid bowling. It’s on VHS and sitting in. My parents attic . I someone is really interested I will mail it to them to they can upload . I will be back home for thanks giving

you do realize that 10% increase is a massive gap right in a 100 m sprint.

Do you know how far behind Jesse Owens would be behind bolt in a race?

You can believe what you want to believe in but the fact is technology never goes backwards. shoaib, tait, lee are all faster than a fragile thin framed dweeb like Thompson even on their worst days.
They also bowled quicker on average. Thomson bowled during an era with defective speed guns.

you do realize that 10% increase is a massive gap right in a 100 m sprint.

Do you know how far behind Jesse Owens would be behind bolt in a race?

You can believe what you want to believe in but the fact is technology never goes backwards. shoaib, tait, lee are all faster than a fragile thin framed dweeb like Thompson even on their worst days.
They also bowled quicker on average. Thomson bowled during an era with defective speed guns.

Bye.

what's next ?rod lager is better than nadal and served faster than federer.

don bridge is the GOAT.

mike tyson is best ever in his prime even though he blatantly ducked Lennox.

Tennis is more influenced by technology than Cricket, can't use that as an example

Who the hell is don bridge

Tennis is more influenced by technology than Cricket, can't use that as an example

Who the hell is don bridge

Don budge.

example or not, Thomson is no way in hell as fast as tait, shoaib or lee. Unless he was taking peds there is just no way he is faster than quicks from the 2000 era.

for don budge see earlier post

Thompson hit the sightscreen multiple times. Look where the slips stand. He bowled lightening

Brett Lee was a demon possessed in the 2003 ODI WC.

lol at 20 times more accurate. lol at being accurate at all. 40 year old antiquated technology is now more advanced than modern technology. Jeff barely bowled 150 let alone 160. All those speed guns of old times are inaccurate. Nostalgia zindabad.
The 1975-76 WACA Test measurements used technology which is still in occasional use today, because nobody has come up with a more accurate speed camera.

It really does measure 500 frames per second, but does not give an instant measurement, and is much harder to set up than modern, less accurate plug and point devices.

More to the point, the results were obtained in formal University of Western Australia research in formal testing conditions. And UWA is a world class institution - it’s a Group of Eight University and ranked at 131 worldwide.

So the Thommo speed measurements - including 160.6 - are not up for dispute. Sorry, it’s off limits - it is a verified, confirmed fact.

http://www.photosonics.com/high_speed_article_by_conrad_kiel.html

Is an Airbus A350 faster than a Concorde?

Is a Boeing 787 faster than a Convair 990?

A 1955 English Electric Lightning fighter had a top speed of 1,815 km/h.

A 2020 F-35 Lightning 2 fighter has a top speed of 1,296 km/h.

Modern machinery requires less maintenance and is easier to operate. But it rarely is more high-performing - and that includes speed cameras.

Shaun Tait did one to AB de Villiers. That was very fast.

That delivery was just over 156K, so it was fast but not in the bracket of 160K+.

Now, Brett Lee was actually real fast in 2003 WC.

The 1975-76 WACA Test measurements used technology which is still in occasional use today, because nobody has come up with a more accurate speed camera.

It really does measure 500 frames per second, but does not give an instant measurement, and is much harder to set up than modern, less accurate plug and point devices.

More to the point, the results were obtained in formal University of Western Australia research in formal testing conditions. And UWA is a world class institution - it’s a Group of Eight University and ranked at 131 worldwide.

So the Thommo speed measurements - including 160.6 - are not up for dispute. Sorry, it’s off limits - it is a verified, confirmed fact.

http://www.photosonics.com/high_speed_article_by_conrad_kiel.html

technology doesn't move backwards. Players are much better athletes now. Unless you can transpose thommo into the modern era and assess his speed based on modern technology, his past figures on defective speed guns are worthless.

ranked 131? so? It isn't verified by ICC.

There is no way in hell a guy who had the physique of thommo was capable of bowling faster than tait, shoaib or lee unless he was on Peds.

Btw like I said before shoaib was caught for peds and still only clocked 160.

Modern machinery requires less maintenance and is easier to operate. But it rarely is more high-performing - and that includes speed cameras.

why would you compare a 70 passenger aircraft to a 300-440 seater Airbus lol.
That makes no sense. So ? it may be fast but it's still defunct now which probably suggests that it isn't optimal for travel. In other words it's faulty. Just like old speed guns.

Sure. The first nuclear reactor came on line in 1942. How ever was the temperature measured accurately enough to control the fission reaction? Because 1940s technology sufficed and Fermi’s calculations - done with a slide rule - were correct. Not “nostalgia” - awareness and understanding of history.

Sure. The first nuclear reactor came on line in 1942. How ever was the temperature measured accurately enough to control the fission reaction? Because 1940s technology sufficed and Fermi’s calculations - done with a slide rule - were correct. Not “nostalgia” - awareness and understanding of history.

yes yes. let's stick to the same technology we utilized in 1940s to operate modern machinery.

[MENTION=132916]Junaids[/MENTION] - in 2040 when we are checking out, some kid is going to look back at 2005 and say “no way did Lee pass 160 kph, the speed guns were awful then and they didn’t even have inertial damper shoes to absorb the impact of the delivery stride. Nobody could bowl fast in those prehistoric times without breaking down!” And people who remember watching Lee will shake their heads and give a little smile.

yes yes. let's stick to the same technology we utilized in 1940s to operate modern machinery.

You repeatedly employ the same argument without even listening to what others are saying. We went to the moon in the 60's, are you saying we could not accurately measure the speed of a cricket ball. Junaids give empirical evidence that the technology still works today and tests have shown it to be accurate. The position of the slips + hitting the sightscreen also indicates towards his pace.

Stop being so thick and listen to our arguments, or come up with a new point but stop saying the same idiotic point over and over again because you have no knowledge of cricket prior to this WSC and as such want to discredit all cricket from these times

[MENTION=132916]Junaids[/MENTION] - in 2040 when we are checking out, some kid is going to look back at 2005 and say “no way did Lee pass 160 kph, the speed guns were awful then and they didn’t even have inertial damper shoes to absorb the impact of the delivery stride. Nobody could bowl fast in those prehistoric times without breaking down!” And people who remember watching Lee will shake their heads and give a little smile.

Technology will continue to advance and yes the figures could change depending on how speed was measured.

A player of prehistoric times would never have the fitness level, nutritional knowledge, strength and conditioning knowledge to bowl at such speeds unless the said player was on Peds.

Unless thommo was on steroids I don't see him bowl quicker than any of post 2000 era quicks.

Thommo looked visibly slower on tv compared to shaoib lee and tait. I don't care where the keeper was standing. That's more of an issue due to poor anticipation, keeping skills and a general lack of fiedling ability as most of them were poorer athletes.

You repeatedly employ the same argument without even listening to what others are saying. We went to the moon in the 60's, are you saying we could not accurately measure the speed of a cricket ball. Junaids give empirical evidence that the technology still works today and tests have shown it to be accurate. The position of the slips + hitting the sightscreen also indicates towards his pace.

Stop being so thick and listen to our arguments, or come up with a new point but stop saying the same idiotic point over and over again because you have no knowledge of cricket prior to this WSC and as such want to discredit all cricket from these times

speed guns were faulty even in the 90s. There were many occasions where Sri Lankan and indian trundlers recorded fast speeds.

Mohammed Sami, morkel recorded absurd speeds and that was using post 2000 technology. If modern technology can be inaccurate then so can the defective junk used in the 70s.

What's moon got to do with a cricket game?

how was the speed measured in the 70s?
When the bowl is released from your wrist or how quickly it reaches the keeper or after the ball bounces off the pitch?

I don't discredit cricket prior to 70s. I just don't think it's talking about because cricket at the time was played between amateurs. It was professional. Besides it wasn't truly a global game until the 70s so results prior to that era should always be disregarded.

There’s no point trying to enlighten someone who does not want to learn. There are still many good posters interested in discussing verifiable history.

speed guns were faulty even in the 90s. There were many occasions where Sri Lankan and indian trundlers recorded fast speeds.

Mohammed Sami, morkel recorded absurd speeds and that was using post 2000 technology. If modern technology can be inaccurate then so can the defective junk used in the 70s.

What's moon got to do with a cricket game?

how was the speed measured in the 70s?
When the bowl is released from your wrist or how quickly it reaches the keeper or after the ball bounces off the pitch?

I don't discredit cricket prior to 70s. I just don't think it's talking about because cricket at the time was played between amateurs. It was professional. Besides it wasn't truly a global game until the 70s so results prior to that era should always be disregarded.

Moon is in regard to your arguments about lack of technology. Machinery used for tests was less likely for inaccuracy a la Sami, Morkel as it was calibrated before every test and analysed. Generally measured over whole course of pitch, not just out of hand so bowlers would actually be faster than what was measured. If Thompson was bowling 160 as they measured it, today he would be measured at 170

Technology will continue to advance and yes the figures could change depending on how speed was measured.
Thommo looked visibly slower on tv compared to shaoib lee and tait.

Watch this! Thommo and Shoaib were basically identical in pace.

Moon is in regard to your arguments about lack of technology. Machinery used for tests was less likely for inaccuracy a la Sami, Morkel as it was calibrated before every test and analysed. Generally measured over whole course of pitch, not just out of hand so bowlers would actually be faster than what was measured. If Thompson was bowling 160 as they measured it, today he would be measured at 170

yea I doubt thay. Unless he was on Peds ofcourse. Players don't decline overtime in terms of physical ability. If anything they move forward. Records get broken by future stars.

I find it hard to believe that a thin framed man like thommo with such a disadvantage in terms of strength, conditioning, dieting/nutrition, recovery methods and other aspects of sport science can bowl as quick as shoaib for instance who actually got banned for steroids in a regulated environment despite using masking agents of the highest calibre.

Watch this! Thommo and Shoaib were basically identical in pace.

Seen this before. It’s hard to tell but the Shoaib ball looks a bit shorter in which case it would have slowed up by the time it got to the batter. But then the hardness of the wicket is a factor too. Perth would help Thommo, while Melbourne and Adelaide slow him down.

Back