Which cricketer had the saddest ending to his career?

All you had to do was google Raman Lamba before responding to me. I would say 90% of hardcore fans know about him and how his career ended. Not sure what it has to do with him being Indian. I said Phil Hughes too and he is not Indian, can you figure out the common factor here and come back
i know about him dont worry.

The fact that no one saw Lamba played but just cause he was an Indian and he died in field, he has to be mentioned by Indians here.

Here is a list of cricketers that died on field which you didnt know about

the world doesnt revolve around india.

The list is very long.

Inzimam, Wasim, Waqar, Anwar, Akhtar, Junaid Khan.
I think Junaid Khan is really a fair call. Infact it deserves a seperate thread that what went wrong with his case.

The fact that no one saw Lamba played but just cause he was an Indian and he died in field, he has to be mentioned by Indians here.

Raman Lamba was not some no-name domestic cricketer. He played at the highest level and also has an international 100. Maybe in Pakistan mid or low tier international players are ignored and left to fend on their own but for us he was a domestic legend and former international cricketer who died tragically. That makes him an important name in the list of tragic ends with no disrespect to others.

Not sure what your argument is? You don’t find an international cricketer dying under freak circumstances on the cricket field tragic enough ? I will leave that to you. Nothing to argue here as I don’t want to play down someone’s death.

He just gave his opinion, what does this have to do with the world revolving around india lol.

But I tell you, cricket definitely revolves around india. You will understand when the champions trophy gets shifted next year

He just gave his opinion, what does this have to do with the world revolving around india lol.

But I tell you, cricket definitely revolves around india. You will understand when the champions trophy gets shifted next year

For some strange reason he found humor in my previous post so I will leave it at that

And why does this guy always carry a ship on his shoulder, mocking someone's death is so weird.

For some strange reason he found humor in my previous post so I will leave it at that
Oh this is nothing, after the champions trophy gets shifted next year, you are going to see a lot more of these threads and comments about india and indians popping out

Oh this is nothing, after the champions trophy gets shifted next year, you are going to see a lot more of these threads and comments about india and indians popping out

That’s obviously inevitable:)) having said that I still can’t wrap my head around: someone one opens a thread called “Tragic end to a career”

I merely mention 2 names of international cricketers who died on the cricket field and the man gets triggered. How do you explain that ?

I named 1 Indian and 1 Australian and probably most people can’t name other players who died on the cricket field. Serious comprehension issues there.

That’s obviously inevitable:)) having said that I still can’t wrap my head around: someone one opens a thread called “Tragic end to a career”

I merely mention 2 names of international cricketers who died on the cricket field and the man gets triggered. How do you explain that ?

I named 1 Indian and 1 Australian and probably most people can’t name other players who died on the cricket field. Serious comprehension issues there.
I think the explanation behind it is what India did to the man's idol in 2007 and 2011. :misbah

That's bound to create a lifetime of pain, hate, obsession along with sleepless nights

Offcourse, because raman was indian, so why shouldnt indians be left behind in some competation...

Such an insensitive post...wow. Raman Lamba got immidiate brain hemorrhage and went to coma. He struggled for few days in hospital before passing away. And you have to say this about him?

Btw, it spells as competition*

Such an insensitive post...wow. Raman Lamba got immidiate brain hemorrhage and went to coma. He struggled for few days in hospital before passing away. And you have to say this about him?

Btw, it spells as competition*
there are many cricketers that died in the field or died in some freak accident as @Junaids has shared.

But a few Indians wanted to make this about themselves. Anyways, i have no issue with it, but for once just accept that you guys are mentioning someone cause of the nationality, thats about it.

Whether its the greatest world cup innings (where you lot tried to mention Kapils unrecorded innings with Maxwells), or the saddest ending to a career, your lot wants to be mentioned in it, and start whining or crying when get exposed.

Javed Miandad without a doubt. The man was IK's successor as captain but the PCB not only stripped him off the captaincy at the start of 1993 but by the end of 1993 the PCB dropped Miandad from the team. According to many anecdotes from the likes of Salim Malik, Atta Ur Rehman, Rashid Latif, the then PCB administration encouraged the players like Wasim, Waqar to misbehave with Miandad and to give him a tough time in the nets. Wasim had even demoted Miandad to number 6-7 in a Sharjah tournament and then Miandad was dropped at the start of 1994.

Miandad came back at the behest of Benazir Bhutto but a freak knee injury during training meant he was out of commission for another 2 years. The 1996 WC was Pakistan's strongest team with many players in their prime and Miandad wanted a farewell gift with winning the WC at home but it was not to be. The PCB should not have selected him in the squad.

there are many cricketers that died in the field or died in some freak accident as @Junaids has shared.

But a few Indians wanted to make this about themselves. Anyways, i have no issue with it, but for once just accept that you guys are mentioning someone cause of the nationality, thats about it.

Whether its the greatest world cup innings (where you lot tried to mention Kapils unrecorded innings with Maxwells), or the saddest ending to a career, your lot wants to be mentioned in it, and start whining or crying when get exposed.
Lmfao, what a dumb argument. You started the thread asking us which cricketer had the saddest ending, the last time I checked there were Indian cricketers too.

And no you didn't expose anyone lol, @Local.Dada mentioned 3 names, out of which 1 of them happened to be an indian.

I havent seen many indians call Kapil's innings as the GOAT wc one, I think most Indians would without any hesitation accept that Misbah's 56 of 76 in Mohali was the greatest world cup innings

Javed Miandad without a doubt. The man was IK's successor as captain but the PCB not only stripped him off the captaincy at the start of 1993 but by the end of 1993 the PCB dropped Miandad from the team. According to many anecdotes from the likes of Salim Malik, Atta Ur Rehman, Rashid Latif, the then PCB administration encouraged the players like Wasim, Waqar to misbehave with Miandad and to give him a tough time in the nets. Wasim had even demoted Miandad to number 6-7 in a Sharjah tournament and then Miandad was dropped at the start of 1994.

Miandad came back at the behest of Benazir Bhutto but a freak knee injury during training meant he was out of commission for another 2 years. The 1996 WC was Pakistan's strongest team with many players in their prime and Miandad wanted a farewell gift with winning the WC at home but it was not to be. The PCB should not have selected him in the squad.
When i look at Miandad i feel very sad for him.

He has grown soo old and isnt in the best physical health. Yet the stories we hear about him making the opposition look down is just amazing.

He was on 48 ODI hundreds after the 2011 World Cup, he deserved to continue to get to the 50 mark.
Definitely he deserved after serving for his country for so long. But that does not means he should achieve it the way he did against Bangladesh. That cost them the match and left an impression forever for some fans that he just plays for individual records which is true to some extent as he proved that on some other occasions as well. Although there is no doubt about his greatness as a batsman.

I remember a post by MMHS about Raman Lamba's role in helping Bangladesh cricket in the 90s, especially in the Dhaka league. Most of the Bangladeshi players when they got their test status were very close to Lamba.

Saeed Ajmal

Ended his career as a chucker. Could not redeem himself unlike Sunil Narine. All his records got tainted with huge asterisk.

He was on 48 ODI hundreds after the 2011 World Cup, he deserved to continue to get to the 50 mark.

He only played for 1 year after that fantastic World Cup.

Some act like he was a Younis Khan who dragged on for 6 years and 2 World Cups despite being well past his best.

He only played for 1 year after that fantastic World Cup.

Some act like he was a Younis Khan who dragged on for 6 years and 2 World Cups despite being well past his best.
Or Miandad who deliberately played the 96' WC despite being completely past his prime. Plenty of Pakistani players have confirmed that he deliberately played that WC just because he wanted to set the record of playing in 6 WC's despite everyone knowing that his output would be close to zero.

Or Miandad who deliberately played the 96' WC despite being completely past his prime. Plenty of Pakistani players have confirmed that he deliberately played that WC just because he wanted to set the record of playing in 6 WC's despite everyone knowing that his output would be close to zero.

Or, more pertinently, Misbah in white ball cricket.

In T20I cricket , Misbah dragged along like a snail for 4 years .

It was horrendous . After his first 10 matches , his last 29 matches came with an average of 28 and a laughable strike rate of 96.

Watching that corpse slowly working his way to the cricketing grave must have been a sad and terrifying experience for PAK cricket fans.

They just looked like a zombie side with him batting in the middle and not scoring even a run a ball

It was horrendous . After his first 10 matches , his last 29 matches came with an average of 28 and a laughable strike rate of 96.

Watching that corpse slowly working his way to the cricketing grave must have been a sad and terrifying experience for PAK cricket fans.

They just looked like a zombie side with him batting in the middle and not scoring even a run a ball
When Misbah did that Misbah in 2011 WC game at Mohali - it actually brought back memories of that woefully slow innings played y Miandad in Bangalore in 1996 WC - that ultimately cost Pakistan the game !

Oh yeah, misbah has to be the worst t20i major player ever. If I am not wrong he is the OP's hero. Says a lot about his cricketing knowledge and how much value any of opinion holds.

One of the saddest endings I am seeing is that of Kambli. There js a video circulating of Vinod Kambli, who looks like he is about to go. He so fully drunk, looks old and being carried away.

Former Indian cricketer Vinod Kambli was pictured in a rather disoriented state recently as he had to be helped by passersby after the yesteryear batter found it difficult to find his balance.

A recent video circulating on social media saw the maverick opener finding it difficult to maintain balance and had to be helped to his destination by bystanders.

Cricketnext could not independently verify the authenticity of the video.

Kambli has experienced his tussle with bouts of health issues in the past including the cardiac attack he suffered from in the year 2013 while on a drive in Mumbai. And a year earlier the former batter had undergone angioplasty on two of his blocked arteries.

The video shook fans and followers alike with multiple users taking to social media to express their shock and wished the former batter strength in his fight against his struggles.

Kambli’s prowess with the willow in his hand is well documented with his most fruitful period in the game coming while partnering with the legendary Sachin Tendulkar. The exploits of the batters are the stuff of fables as they picked apart one bowling attack after the other during their heyday.

While Kambli did not manage to go on to reach the heights Tendulkar eventually would, he is still remembered for his incredible knocks that knocked the wind out of hapless bowlers time and again in his prime.

The 52-year-old is fondly remembered for his flash style of play and the element of maverick he brought to the game, while some in the nation who were lucky enough to watch the southpaw in full cry still hail the incredible talent and batting acumen the left-hander was blessed with.

He has pulled on the Indian ODI jersey over a hundred times, while also representing the nation in 17 Test games. He has nearly 10,000 runs in First Class cricket with a best of 262 in an innings. He has also featured in a surplus of 200 List A games amassing closet 6500 runs with a best of an unbeaten 149 runs in an innings.

Last edited by a moderator:
Muhammad Asif , at the peak of his career on the way to greatness but landed in mid and dirt, humiliated punished and left in darkness

Saeed Ajmal

Ended his career as a chucker. Could not redeem himself unlike Sunil Narine. All his records got tainted with huge asterisk.
People here throw around the word chucker like its akin to committing a murder or something. Fact is this, Ajmal was a chucker. Harbhajan, when he was bowling the doosra was chucking. Murali despite his hyperextension did bend his arm, which is a violation of the old law and therefore chucking.

That does not mean all their records are tainted. That's a remarkably stupid way of analyzing spin bowling. Especially when the ICC has changed their definition of what constitutes a 'legal action' numerous times over the years.

People here throw around the word chucker like its akin to committing a murder or something. Fact is this, Ajmal was a chucker. Harbhajan, when he was bowling the doosra was chucking. Murali despite his hyperextension did bend his arm, which is a violation of the old law and therefore chucking.

That does not mean all their records are tainted. That's a remarkably stupid way of analyzing spin bowling. Especially when the ICC has changed their definition of what constitutes a 'legal action' numerous times over the years.
Yes it does, Shabbir Ahmed was the biggest case of this.

Chucking adds an unfair advantage to players who actually go out of their way to play the game fair and square.

Harbajan and Murku were chuckers which is inexcusable however they were not caught or even reported once so their remembered as legends.

It doesn't change the fact that the rules are unfair. Either allow everyone to chuck or don't allow it plain and simple.

Yes it does, Shabbir Ahmed was the biggest case of this.

Chucking adds an unfair advantage to players who actually go out of their way to play the game fair and square.

Harbajan and Murku were chuckers which is inexcusable however they were not caught or even reported once so their remembered as legends.

It doesn't change the fact that the rules are unfair. Either allow everyone to chuck or don't allow it plain and simple.
Fully agree with this.

The guy who doesnt chuck, will be the one at the receiving end.

I love Ajmal man but towards the end he was a blatant chucker.

It does taint things a bit because he bowled with an advantage. The same goes for any chucker. You can try bowl spin yourself with a bending arm and normal. You will notice how much revs and turns you get.

I don't think Murali was a chucker though. It's good the ICC changed the rules as the science evolved.

I think it is Mohammad Asif who could be a bowler of this century had he not committed that crime. It is pretty sad to see a bowler of his caliber, doing the wrong stuff and could never make his way back to cricket.

I love Ajmal man but towards the end he was a blatant chucker.

It does taint things a bit because he bowled with an advantage. The same goes for any chucker. You can try bowl spin yourself with a bending arm and normal. You will notice how much revs and turns you get.

I don't think Murali was a chucker though. It's good the ICC changed the rules as the science evolved.
The thing about Murli and Harbajan is that because they were never even officially reported or Suspected, They will always be remembered as legends because Anyone who questions them chucking will be met with a response of

"Well you ain't ICC, so what you're claiming is an opinion not substantiated with Official proof"

Hence for Murli and Harbajan, whether they were chuckers or not will always be a subject of debate and their legacies won't ultimately be tainted.

Ajmal is 100% tainted though mainly because no one remembers Ajmals or brings him up besides pakistani fans years after he retired. No one ever says Ajmal or Shabbir Ahmed were amongst the greatest bowlers for pakistan because even if they were, As soon as they were caught chucking and returned to cricket with a modified action, they got tonked, bullied and humilated left and right by every Tom, dick and Harry imaginable.

Theirs a reason ICC or any other fan never bring up Ajmal or Shabbir Ahmed amoung ATG's even if they had that record when they were chucking.

Kevin Pietersen for me comes to mind.
Probably one of England's greatest batters of all time and the way his career was shut down by ECB and team management was disgraceful.

Of course his personality was also spiky but that England dressing room had a strong anti KP faction.

In any team there will be groupism ofcourse but even in most toxic Pakistan/Indian dressing rooms of 90s, I doubt there will be such extreme isolation of a player.

Kevin Pietersen for me comes to mind.
Probably one of England's greatest batters of all time and the way his career was shut down by ECB and team management was disgraceful.

Of course his personality was also spiky but that England dressing room had a strong anti KP faction.

In any team there will be groupism ofcourse but even in most toxic Pakistan/Indian dressing rooms of 90s, I doubt there will be such extreme isolation of a player.
True but Pakistan isolates it's players far more then England could ever do so to KP.

True but Pakistan isolates it's players far more then England could ever do so to KP.
Good player for sure but an unreliable character with poor judgement and an overweening ego (eg dissing teammates to the opposition in the middle of a Test Match). In that sense he isolated himself. I do think he had to go in the interests of the team.

Shane Bond what a wonderful career ...ruined by his back injuries. Made havoc against australia in his early career.

Faulkner. Was a very handy player in his day as a 3rd/4th seamer and could bring the fireworks down the order too. MOTM in the 2015 WC final. Was phased out afterwards, perhaps a little unfairly.

Also a lot of SA players that had their careers prematurely ended due to the apartheid ban, Barry Richards being one of them.

Mark Boucher’s career end was genuinely sad. Not only did the injury ruin his farewell but left him handicapped for the rest of life.

Azharuddin & Jadeja
Two superstars of our 90s team, especially Azhar bhai who was the mega star of that team. Our longest serving captain by then. Match fixing ended their career and ruined their legacies. Azhar bhai also got left stranded on 99 tests.

I think Brian Lara’s retirement also was an utter disappointment. For such a legendary cricketer to retire just like that was, it didn’t feel well.

Regarding Inzamam, did his ODI Career not end at the 2007 WC. Whatever, that was a terrible experience for him.

The saddest ending relates to Azam Khan. The kid was made to believe he was something which he wasnt.

India - Sachin Tendulkar, overstayed his welcome just for personal milestones.

Pakistan - Misbah Ul Haq, No matter what he tried, the lasting images of his career would always be the scoop in 07 & the slog down the ground in 11 when the game was dead, nothing could be more humiliating, that’s his defining legacy.

Australia - Ricky Ponting, in the last year of his career he got a double against India when it should have been a quadruple, it was sad missing out on breaking Lara’s record.

Last edited by a moderator:
Azharuddin, one of the greatest batsmen India has ever produced, unfortunately lost all respect as a player and had to end his career at 99 Test matches after being found guilty of match-fixing.

India - Sachin Tendulkar, overstayed his welcome just for personal milestones.

Pakistan - Misbah Ul Haq, No matter what he tried, the lasting images of his career would always be the scoop in 07 & the slog down the ground in 11 when the game was dead, nothing could be more humiliating, that’s his defining legacy.

Australia - Ricky Ponting, in the last year of his career he got a double against India when it should have been a quadruple, it was sad missing out on breaking Lara’s record.
Disagree on Pointing and Misbah, for pointing it was the heartbreak of 2011 as it marked an end of an era which pointing knew.

Australia would still be dominant and a top tier side but they'd no longer be the unbeatable machine that they once were.

As for Pakistan, Misbah ruined his image by ensuring his ending didn't remain, He would have retired as a test great if he didn't come back as coach and chief selector and ensured Pakistan's current downfall.

Misbah is the founder of what's happening rn even if he isn't directly involved anymore

For me, as someone who loves pure dominating pace, Mohammad Zahid is the saddest. If you had the privilege of watching a few of his limited matches, he was super sonic lightning quick but injuries and being run into the ground by his captain sadly ended his career.

What about Imran Nazir or Abid Ali??? Unfortunate endings for both. Although Abid is still active in domestics, his chances to make a comeback are none.

Disagree on Pointing and Misbah, for pointing it was the heartbreak of 2011 as it marked an end of an era which pointing knew.

Australia would still be dominant and a top tier side but they'd no longer be the unbeatable machine that they once were.

As for Pakistan, Misbah ruined his image by ensuring his ending didn't remain, He would have retired as a test great if he didn't come back as coach and chief selector and ensured Pakistan's current downfall.

Misbah is the founder of what's happening rn even if he isn't directly involved anymore

Misbah the cricketer will be best remembered by me for 07/11 and for the damage he is doing now, not exactly the sweetest send off in hindsight. With Ponting he missed out on smashing the Teletubjes into bits on the way to 401+ it could have been a tad better

Back