Who is currently the best player against spin bowling?

The answer is Hashim Amla. Not just v pace, he is the best bat in the world atm.

Sehwag will be daddy only in his home, with his wife and offsprings

Elsewhere, he is a qualified FTB :shahzaib

Anybody who's watched cricket in the 90's would not forget Sidhu.. The man literally dominated the spinners, especially at home. Remember, that was the dusty bowls era, where the spinners ruled the roost.

I remember one Test match, where he destroyed Murali.. 8 or 9 sixes in the century!!!

what hussey did on that sri lankan pitch nobody else can.

Sehwag will be daddy only in his home, with his wife and offsprings

Elsewhere, he is a qualified FTB :shahzaib

This is when rest of the team bundled out for 100 runs only on a slow turning track against Murali , Mendis ( when he was new and mysterious) , Vaas.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/D02vLq8Gajw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

^Is that the same Mendis who got clobbered by Pakistan in the next series, so much so that he was dropped from the team altogether?

All the success he had early in his career is charity work by India. I dont rate him very highly as a spinner. Sehwag is good against spin but calling him the best of all is a bit OTT

^he has played even more brutal innings in India against Srilanka, but that is not the point. As I said before, I do rate him against spin but he is not the best simply because he cant slug it out when the going gets tough :Hussey :yk

if we are talking spin exclusive then I think its up for debate but all attacks ...Hussey all the way.

Sachin, Dravid, Hussey, Kallis, Amla.
The best out thr is Kallis.
He has played all the great spinners very well, like Murali, Warne, Danish, asqalain and indian spinners.

^he has played even more brutal innings in India against Srilanka, but that is not the point. As I said before, I do rate him against spin but he is not the best simply because he cant slug it out when the going gets tough :Hussey :yk

ask your fav worldclass spinner Ajmal, how hussey play spin bowling. :junaid

Are you even serious?
Sehwag doesn't let a spinner settle. Besides my boy has played bigger and more stunning knocks than Younis and Hussey have produced COMBINED.

Last edited:
I'm serious. Do you have a list? :yk

I agree with rest of the names which have been mentioned. They are more or less at the same level. Sehwag's a stand out, well and truly ahead of'em all. You name a spinner in the last decade that Sehwag didn't beat the crap out of. He's been a bogeyman spinners.

Many Eng commentators think that currently Clarke is the best player against spin. I am not too sure about Clarke being the best. He is one of the best for sure.

Many Eng commentators think that currently Clarke is the best player against spin. I am not too sure about Clarke being the best. He is one of the best for sure.

It's Ian Botham who keeps going on about it.

I doubt he watches much test cricket apart from when Englands playing. Clarke is up there but doesn't have the range of shots against the spinners as the likes of Younis Khan and Kumar Sangakarra.

For me.

Younis Khan
Sangakarra
Amal
Clarke
Kallis

It's Ian Botham who keeps going on about it.

I doubt he watches much test cricket apart from when Englands playing.

Atherton repeated the same thing with his 4 point elaboration of hitting over the top, rotating strike and all that. They are naming Lara, SRT, Sehwag etc from the past but all of them are talking about Clarke being the best right now due to able to attack spinners. I think none of them really watch any non-Eng matches. If no one else I will put Sanga right up there but no one talked about Sanga. Sanga can dominate as well apart from defending against quality spin.

Last edited:
Atherton repeated the same thing with his 4 point elaboration of hitting over the top, rotating strike and all that. They are naming Lara, SRT, Sehwag etc from the past but all of them are talking about Clarke being the best right now due to able to attack spinners. I think none of them really watch any non-Eng matches. If no one else I will put Sanga right up there but no one talked about Sanga. Sanga can dominate as well apart from defending against quality spin.

Sanga is the only one who has totally dominated the magician. :ajmal

He's coming back for some more, it will be another great battle. If Younis played for Eng or Aus they would all put him way ahead of Clarke.

Sanga is. Lets see if he can spoil the magician's plans once again.

Sanga, Amla, AB, Younis and Clarke in this order for me.

Last edited:
Misbah today showed that he is the best batsmen against Spin from Pakistan

Kohli cut the risk out of his batting against the spinners by avoiding the sweep shot. He plays with a straight bat, uses his feet well and rotates the strike very well. He is the best against spinners ATM

Not even in the top five. Younis, Amla, Cook, Pujara and Misbah are all ahead of him. Kohli is top ten though.

How can Jaddu's bunny Cook be one of the best? Younis is a contender. Pujara is meh. Amla was a failure in India last time around and Misbah's name in this list is just unfortunate.

Not even in the top five. Younis, Amla, Cook, Pujara and Misbah are all ahead of him. Kohli is top ten though.

Bilal bhai, Cook? Seriously!!
Pujara is poor against spin if he doesn't use his feet. Misbah tuk tuks and hits a big shot no strike rotation. Amla was pretty average against Ash n Jaddu last series but better then Cook. Younus and Kohli are the best against spin ATM.

Oh yes, I forgot about "The Green General."
:sarf
in the last innings of the last match he hit Lyon for 20 runs in an over even Younis and Misbah couldn't cope with him, after that Imran Khan gave his wicket away, Sarfraz left stranded on 72(70)

How can Jaddu's bunny Cook be one of the best? Younis is a contender. Pujara is meh. Amla was a failure in India last time around and Misbah's name in this list is just unfortunate.

Whilst Kohli was a major player in the shambolic display of the Indian team against a certain bearded Englishman, after being guilty of capitulating to another two Englishmen on his home soil, back in 2012. He has also never faced Pakistan, who have had the two best spinners of his time, in Ajmal and Yasir Shah. He was a walking wicket against South Africa in that series in which you call Amla a failure, only he wasn't facing Ashwin and Jadeja, he was facing Elgar, Duminy and Harmer.

Kohli's claim to fame is his HTB-ing of a bunch of mediocre Kiwi, English, Caribbean and Bangali spinners and that one innings that he played in Australia on a turner against... Wait for it... Nathan "Garry" Lyon. It really is nothing impressive and the five guys I have mentioned have been far more prolific against spin.

Of course, I am simply wasting my bandwidth here, because Kohli is the bestest because reasons.

Bilal bhai, Cook? Seriously!!
Pujara is poor against spin if he doesn't use his feet. Misbah tuk tuks and hits a big shot no strike rotation. Amla was pretty average against Ash n Jaddu last series but better then Cook. Younus and Kohli are the best against spin ATM.

Cook was imperious in India back in 2012. He has been good in Sri Lanka and great in the UAE, even during the 2012 series he was England's second best batsman behind Matt Prior. Jadeja getting on top of him in the recent series doesn't erase any of that. He's a much better player of spin than he is of pace.

You need to use your feet against spinners. That's like the most basic prerequisite to attaining success. Pujara's home record tells its own stories and unlike Kohli, he has done well against some very good spinners as well.

Amla was poor against Ashwin on Jadeja on the most doctored, turning pitches that the cricketing world has seen in years. Like Cook, one poor series (He was still right in the midst of things with some real gutsy innings) does not erase his lengthy resume of outstanding success against the slow bowlers. Whether it is getting centuries against Ajmal in the UAE, emasculating Swann in his own backyard, going all "Thou shalt not pass" on Herath in Sri Lanka, treating Lyon like a kitty in Australia or showing us what it would be like if Superman ever played cricket against Bhajjan and Kumble in India, Hashim Amla is as close to infallible against spin as humanly possible. After recalling his achievements, I am beginning to question why I rate Younis Khan above him...

... Perhaps it is because Younis has never ever failed against spin. Like never. Seriously. Look it up.

Misbah ul Haq's block, block six tactic has been the bane for many a spinner around the world. Whether it is Moeen Ali in England or Nathan Lyon in the UAE, any spinner with even a hint of weakness has been marked, chased, assaulted and brutally murdered by the 40 year old veteran Pakistani. Yes, he has fallen prey to Herath more than he would like and unsurprisingly, his full-throttled aggression against the spinner has seen him lose his head to them a few times but the positives definitely outweigh the negatives.

So yes, the ranking most definitely is

1) Younis/Amla
2) Amla/Younis
3) Cook
4) Pujara
5) Misbah

Sarfaraz Ahmed is a very good player of spin as well. In the top ten for sure. He does struggle with bounce which negates his sweep shot. Should look to stay on the back-foot most of the time in places like Australia and South Africa.

Azhar Ali and Shafiq are better players of pace than spin, marginally in the former's case.

Whilst Kohli was a major player in the shambolic display of the Indian team against a certain bearded Englishman, after being guilty of capitulating to another two Englishmen on his home soil, back in 2012. He has also never faced Pakistan, who have had the two best spinners of his time, in Ajmal and Yasir Shah. He was a walking wicket against South Africa in that series in which you call Amla a failure, only he wasn't facing Ashwin and Jadeja, he was facing Elgar, Duminy and Harmer.

Kohli's claim to fame is his HTB-ing of a bunch of mediocre Kiwi, English, Caribbean and Bangali spinners and that one innings that he played in Australia on a turner against... Wait for it... Nathan "Garry" Lyon. It really is nothing impressive and the five guys I have mentioned have been far more prolific against spin.

Of course, I am simply wasting my bandwidth here, because Kohli is the bestest because reasons.

Cook was imperious in India back in 2012. He has been good in Sri Lanka and great in the UAE, even during the 2012 series he was England's second best batsman behind Matt Prior. Jadeja getting on top of him in the recent series doesn't erase any of that. He's a much better player of spin than he is of pace.

You need to use your feet against spinners. That's like the most basic prerequisite to attaining success. Pujara's home record tells its own stories and unlike Kohli, he has done well against some very good spinners as well.

Amla was poor against Ashwin on Jadeja on the most doctored, turning pitches that the cricketing world has seen in years. Like Cook, one poor series (He was still right in the midst of things with some real gutsy innings) does not erase his lengthy resume of outstanding success against the slow bowlers. Whether it is getting centuries against Ajmal in the UAE, emasculating Swann in his own backyard, going all "Thou shalt not pass" on Herath in Sri Lanka, treating Lyon like a kitty in Australia or showing us what it would be like if Superman ever played cricket against Bhajjan and Kumble in India, Hashim Amla is as close to infallible against spin as humanly possible. After recalling his achievements, I am beginning to question why I rate Younis Khan above him...

... Perhaps it is because Younis has never ever failed against spin. Like never. Seriously. Look it up.

Misbah ul Haq's block, block six tactic has been the bane for many a spinner around the world. Whether it is Moeen Ali in England or Nathan Lyon in the UAE, any spinner with even a hint of weakness has been marked, chased, assaulted and brutally murdered by the 40 year old veteran Pakistani. Yes, he has fallen prey to Herath more than he would like and unsurprisingly, his full-throttled aggression against the spinner has seen him lose his head to them a few times but the positives definitely outweigh the negatives.

1) Younis/Amla
2) Amla/Younis
3) Cook
4) Pujara
5) Misbah

You seem to have selective memory with very strong bias. First of all, read the title of this post. Then, you will understand that your references of Amla, Cook, Misbah etc from 2012 don't make sense and are irrlevant to the question asked by the OP.

You seem to have selective memory with very strong bias. First of all, read the title of this post. Then, you will understand that your references of Amla, Cook, Misbah etc from 2012 don't make sense and are irrlevant to the question asked by the OP.

Perhaps it is you who should read the OP. By currently, it is talking about current batsmen. As for my memory, at least I have one. You seem to not remember anything past Kohli's doubles against a mediocre bunch of spinners.

Perhaps it is you who should read the OP. By currently, it is talking about current batsmen. As for my memory, at least I have one. You seem to not remember anything past Kohli's doubles against a mediocre bunch of spinners.

You are right. I just went back and looked at the date of the post. It was in 2011. Most of the responses are from 2012 as well. I guess you were just 5 years late in posting that essay about Amla and Cook's proficiency in 2012. Amla was hot back then but his CURRENT performances are nothing to write about. Failed miserably since Feb 2016. Misbah's batting in AUS against spinners was abysmal at best. Cook is done. His performances on flat Indian surfaces againnst spinners was just a pale self of his 2012 exploits. Kohli has dominated all the spinners he played against in the last year. His technique is solid and he isn't a happy sweeper. He can score at will and has a very good defence. I standby my assessment.

You are right. I just went back and looked at the date of the post. It was in 2011. Most of the responses are from 2012 as well. I guess you were just 5 years late in posting that essay about Amla and Cook's proficiency in 2012. Amla was hot back then but his CURRENT performances are nothing to write about. Failed miserably since Feb 2016. Misbah's batting in AUS against spinners was abysmal at best. Cook is done. His performances on flat Indian surfaces againnst spinners was just a pale self of his 2012 exploits. Kohli has dominated all the spinners he played against in the last year. His technique is solid and he isn't a happy sweeper. He can score at will and has a very good defence. I standby my assessment.

You can stand by whatever you want, I could care less. However, keep in mind that this thread is not about current form but current players. Kohli hasn't even accomplished 5% of what greats like Amla and Younis or even someone like Cook have done against spin.

He's also been behind Pujara from his own team in the spin-playing department.

You can stand by whatever you want, I could care less. However, keep in mind that this thread is not about current form but current players. Kohli hasn't even accomplished 5% of what greats like Amla and Younis or even someone like Cook have done against spin.

He's also been behind Pujara from his own team in the spin-playing department.

Just when I thought you base your arguments with facts, you threw up an arbitrary 5% into the mix. Anyway, I'm not interested in has beens. There is no point in discussing somebody's innings 5 years ago. I think the latest numbers are more relevant when discussing current great players. If at all, considering the longevity and recent form, Younis takes the throne. I don't think Pujara is better than Kohli. He doesn't have the range as Kohli and can't rotate the strike well.

At the moment Shakib, mushfiqur and Pujara are easily three of the best players of spin bowling in world cricket. Rest of the pack doesn't even come close.

Mushfiq just scolded the best spinner of the world in his own den, something which very few have managed to do in the recent past.

And, It's just unfortunate that COOK'S name has appeared as the best player of spin especially if we consider the fact that he averaged only 20 in his last series against a no the 9 ranked team. Lol

Pujara followed by Younis khan are the best players of spin.

Amla and Cook are overrated as far as playing spin is concerned.

1) Younis/Amla
2) Amla/Younis
3) Cook
4) Pujara
5) Misbah
I keep on hearing about this "turner" in Australia.
Isn't that the pitch in which 1300/1400 runs were scored by both sides at 40 runs a wicket?
Australia are a nothing side on tuners as well, if they score a truck load of runs then I put this "turner" theory into question.
Can you provide a link for this turner?

LOL at Kohli being the best player of spin. Was average at best in Sri Lanka and got dominated by the likes of Dumminy, Elgar, Hammer and Tahir in his backyard. But Amla is poor having been dominated by Jadeja and Ashwin on demonic wickets? PP and it's double standards is quite amusing really.

Current playing
Australia -smith
England - root
Sa. - faf
Ind. - murali
Sl. -can't say
Bd. -mushfiq
NZ. -Taylor
Pak. -can't say
Wi. -can't say
Zim. -taylor( don't know he is still in team or not)

Last edited:
Amla looked clueless the last time he was in India. Best player of spin lol but I guess he's a good player overall because he can play pace as well unlike someone like Younis who specialises in bullying spin bowlers but at the sametime is clueless against pace bowling.

Isn't that the pitch in which 1300/1400 runs were scored by both sides at 40 runs a wicket?
Australia are a nothing side on tuners as well, if they score a truck load of runs then I put this "turner" theory into question.

LOL at Kohli being the best player of spin. Was average at best in Sri Lanka and got dominated by the likes of Dumminy, Elgar, Hammer and Tahir in his backyard. But Amla is poor having been dominated by Jadeja and Ashwin on demonic wickets? PP and it's double standards is quite amusing really.

Amla's scores in that series -

43, 0, 7, 1, 39, 3, 25

118 runs in 7 innings. Even Elgar looked much better compared to Amla who was clueless. Kohli who was out of form in 2015 (all formats) scored 200 runs in 6 innings on the same wickets.

Any way Rahane was the best player from either sides during that tour. Things have changed now, Rahane has regressed against spin and Kohli improved leaps and bounds.

Has to be YK. The only one who can consistently take apart spin bowling but then again he hasn't played on a rank turner in aeons. AB,Cook and Amla have declined and Root/Smith have not really proven themselves. Pujara at one time looked to be the best player of spin in the world but right now 1 bad series and he might not even be in the XI

Current playing
Australia -smith
England - root
Sa. - faf
Ind. - murali
Sl. -can't say
Bd. -mushfiq
NZ. -Taylor
Pak. -can't say
Wi. -can't say

NZ best player of spin is Tom Latham as he showed in the UAE and FAF is terrible against spin. It's AB. PAK - YK

Can anyone use espncricinfo statsguru and find out the best players for the past 3 -5 years or so. Picture would be a lot clearer.

Amla's scores in that series -

43, 0, 7, 1, 39, 3, 25

118 runs in 7 innings. Even Elgar looked much better compared to Amla who was clueless. Kohli who was out of form in 2015 (all formats) scored 200 runs in 6 innings on the same wickets.

Any way Rahane was the best player from either sides during that tour. Things have changed now, Rahane has regressed against spin and Kohli improved leaps and bounds.

Oh make no mistake Amla was poor, I don't need stats for that nor will I be his apologist.
One question though: are you apologising for Kohli for not turning up against JP Dumminy and Elgar?

Can anyone use espncricinfo statsguru and find out the best players for the past 3 -5 years or so. Picture would be a lot clearer.

Without even looking at stats, the likes of Sanga, Amla, AB, YK and Cook should pop up over the last 5 years or so.

Oh make no mistake Amla was poor, I don't need stats for that nor will I be his apologist.
One question though: are you apologising for Kohli for not turning up against JP Dumminy and Elgar?

He was out of form for almost 6 months in 2015. Pitches were rank turners where it didn't matter whether it's Ashwin or Duminy if you don't pick the length early you are gone. Yes, he was poor but not because of inability to read spin but courtesy form.

From SA perspective Abd was the best bat.

He was out of form for almost 6 months in 2015. Pitches were rank turners where it didn't matter whether it's Ashwin or Duminy if you don't pick the length early you are gone. Yes, he was poor but not because of inability to read spin but courtesy form.

Amla was facing Ashwin and Jadeja on the same pitches. Let's be mindful of that. Of course there's a big difference in facing Ashwin and Jadeja to Dumminy and co.
Everyone struggled in that tour including Rahane who registered back to back tons on the last match of the series.
Whether Kohli was in form or not it would have made zero difference. That series can't be used as a measure for rating spin bowling or batting.
To put into perspective how abysmal those conditions were, only 6 scores of 50 were scored two belonged to AB.
Only 6 half centuries between two sides in over 135 innings is mind boggling.

Current playing
Australia -smith
England - root
Sa. - faf
Ind. - murali
Sl. -can't say
Bd. -mushfiq
NZ. -Taylor
Pak. -can't say
Wi. -can't say

Faf is one of the worst players of spin bowling..

And Ross Taylor LOL.. He just had one of his worst series in India.Latham and Williamson( even though he struggled) were better than Rosco.

Current playing
Australia -smith
England - root
Sa. - faf
Ind. - murali
Sl. -can't say
Bd. -mushfiq
NZ. -Taylor
Pak. -can't say
Wi. -can't say

LOL at Faf being good vs spin. Still remember how badly he struggled vs Pakistan spinners when SA toured UAE in 2013 when he was batting at 6. Guy is as poor as it gets.

Also YK, Misbah & Sarfraz are easily PAK's three best players vs spin.

Was he out of form in 2012 too? And against Moeen Ali as well? Very convenient. The only runs Kohli scored were in the dead rubber, he was useless in the games that mattered.

It was the Adelaide match where Kohli played a good innings on a pitch that took turn towards the end of day 4 and on day 5. Credit where it's due, it was a good innings. Almost as good as Shafiq's versus the same opposition in Perth.

Pujara followed by Younis khan are the best players of spin.

Amla and Cook are overrated as far as playing spin is concerned.

Lol, what a joke. Have you followed their careers at all? And the only time Younis will follow Pujara is if the latter is bowling and Younis dances down the pitch and disdainfully hits the delivery for six.

You Indians really do live in your own, little world, eh? Is there any Indian player you will not hype to the moon?

NZ best player of spin is Tom Latham as he showed in the UAE and FAF is terrible against spin. It's AB. PAK - YK

Yk still playing?? Looks playing for centuries :D
Yes,he is best from Pak then.

Don't agree about Tom. Can Agreed about faf.

Funny how not a lot of people have mentioned Sarfaraz yet. I haven't seen many other players as assured against spin as Sarfaraz. May not be the best in the world, but is definitely up there.

Faf is one of the worst players of spin bowling..

And Ross Taylor LOL.. He just had one of his worst series in India.Latham and Williamson( even though he struggled) were better than Rosco.

Correction

Aus- smith
SA. -can't say
Eng- root
Nz- Taylor/willie
Pak- YK
Ind- Murali
Bd-Mushfiq
WI-can't say
Zim- None
SL-can't say

YK is world class against slow bowlers. Don't let his inability to play movement at decent speed cloud your judgement.

Was he out of form in 2012 too? And against Moeen Ali as well? Very convenient. The only runs Kohli scored were in the dead rubber, he was useless in the games that mattered.

It was the Adelaide match where Kohli played a good innings on a pitch that took turn towards the end of day 4 and on day 5. Credit where it's due, it was a good innings. Almost as good as Shafiq's versus the same opposition in Perth.

Lol, what a joke. Have you followed their careers at all? And the only time Younis will follow Pujara is if the latter is bowling and Younis dances down the pitch and disdainfully hits the delivery for six.

You Indians really do live in your own, little world, eh? Is there any Indian player you will not hype to the moon?

Pujara gets to play on spin friendly pitches where your so called "average bowlers- Ash/Jadeja" create havoc and he avgs 60+ there. Clearly, the best batsmen of spin currently.

Yk is excellent too.Its just a matter of choice. More so because Pujara has produced better outputs playing on tougher pitches.

Back