Who will be in your Pakistan 15-member squad for the T20 World Cup in June 2024 in USA/West Indies?

Like always we will delay till the last second and then ask for an extension and then announce the same squad that we would have 20 days ago. The England tour should have been used for finalizing roles and addressing any gaps. Players would have known if they would be on the flight to the Caribbean or not and it would have helped them be more focused about the tournament instead of fighting for their place. But like always, we will keep everything and everyone in a state of flux till the last moment.

For what its worth my squad would be:

Bats: Babar, Saim, Fakhar, Iftikhar, Usman
Allrounders: Shadab, Imad
Keeper: Rizwan
Pacers: Shaheen, Naseem, Aamir, Abbas
Spinners: Abrar

I won't pick Usama as we already have a lot of spin options.

That leaves two batting/allrounder spots for which its perhaps a matter of choosing the least worst options. The possible contenders include Azam, Farhan, Irfan, Salman, Jamal, Nawaz, Abdullah, Saud, Haider, Haris. I would choose Azam and Jamal and I am really surprised by my own decision as I don't rate Azam and not convinced about Jamal's bowling. But it makes sense, or at least more sense than picking some of the others. Abdullah and Saud are two of my favorite young players but their inclusion can't be justified in the presence of Babar and Rizwan. Similarly Nawaz and Salman are not needed with Imad and Shadab already there. Farhan and Irfan have not impressed me and Haris and Haider are hacks. But then so is Azam. The only thing that convinced me to go for Azam is his experience and decent performances in the CPL. Although playing him would be a nightmare for the captain as far as hiding him in the field is concerned. Hopefully he won't be needed.

My reserves will include Mir, Rauf (if fit), Saud and Salman

Like always we will delay till the last second and then ask for an extension and then announce the same squad that we would have 20 days ago. The England tour should have been used for finalizing roles and addressing any gaps. Players would have known if they would be on the flight to the Caribbean or not and it would have helped them be more focused about the tournament instead of fighting for their place. But like always, we will keep everything and everyone in a state of flux till the last moment.

For what its worth my squad would be:

Bats: Babar, Saim, Fakhar, Iftikhar, Usman
Allrounders: Shadab, Imad
Keeper: Rizwan
Pacers: Shaheen, Naseem, Aamir, Abbas
Spinners: Abrar

I won't pick Usama as we already have a lot of spin options.

That leaves two batting/allrounder spots for which its perhaps a matter of choosing the least worst options. The possible contenders include Azam, Farhan, Irfan, Salman, Jamal, Nawaz, Abdullah, Saud, Haider, Haris. I would choose Azam and Jamal and I am really surprised by my own decision as I don't rate Azam and not convinced about Jamal's bowling. But it makes sense, or at least more sense than picking some of the others. Abdullah and Saud are two of my favorite young players but their inclusion can't be justified in the presence of Babar and Rizwan. Similarly Nawaz and Salman are not needed with Imad and Shadab already there. Farhan and Irfan have not impressed me and Haris and Haider are hacks. But then so is Azam. The only thing that convinced me to go for Azam is his experience and decent performances in the CPL. Although playing him would be a nightmare for the captain as far as hiding him in the field is concerned. Hopefully he won't be needed.

My reserves will include Mir, Rauf (if fit), Saud and Salman

Who will be your substitute keeper knowing the fact that a man prone to "sometimes cramps and sometimes acting" can get injured anytime.

Who will be your substitute keeper knowing the fact that a man prone to "sometimes cramps and sometimes acting" can get injured anytime.
They have a guy who is prone to injury named Azam Khan. Also, they have a guy who barely keeps wickets, Usman khan. We are doomed.

Azam and Usman. You can't carry another passenger just for that. And Rizwan is fine, he knows when not to act :p

The best ability is availability. If some players are injured, then don't pick them.

Pick players that available & suit the T20 setup.

Pick a team of Pakistani players not selected for the World Cup squad.
S Farhan
M Haris
A Shafique
S Shakeel
Hassebullah WK
A Jamal
M Wasim
Z Khan
M Humza
M Mumtaz
U Qadir

S Farhan
M Haris
A Shafique
S Shakeel
Hassebullah WK
A Jamal
M Wasim
Z Khan
M Humza
M Mumtaz
U Qadir
I reckon this team would give anyone a run for their money.

S Farhan
M Haris
A Shafique
S Shakeel
Hassebullah WK
A Jamal
M Wasim
Z Khan
M Humza
M Mumtaz
U Qadir
As soon as I read Haseebullah’s name…

Pakistan's opening batter, Ahmed Shehzad, criticized Pakistan's strategy of having a long batting lineup during a program on a local channel, calling it outdated:

"This is a 6-7 years old technique, it never worked and can't be justified. For now, the team combination is, according to it you have to play with 5 bowlers and 6th option will be Iftikhar Ahmed. And at the same time, you will have 6 proper batters after that you will have Imad Wasim and then Shaheen Shah Afridi."

"Now after this how much deep batting line up do you want? When you get smashed for 190 or 200 then you say bowlers are not doing well. So do accountability of bowlers when you play with full bowling strength."

"You didn't give any match to Abrar Ahmed yet. There are speculations that the ball will turn in the USA, so along with Imad Wasim you need a bowler, or maybe you will include Shadab Khan again or maybe you have not prepared your mind yet that many more players can be better than Shadab Khan so with same things expecting different results is not justified."

Pakistan's opening batter, Ahmed Shehzad, criticized Pakistan's strategy of having a long batting lineup during a program on a local channel, calling it outdated:

"This is a 6-7 years old technique, it never worked and can't be justified. For now, the team combination is, according to it you have to play with 5 bowlers and 6th option will be Iftikhar Ahmed. And at the same time, you will have 6 proper batters after that you will have Imad Wasim and then Shaheen Shah Afridi."

"Now after this how much deep batting line up do you want? When you get smashed for 190 or 200 then you say bowlers are not doing well. So do accountability of bowlers when you play with full bowling strength."

"You didn't give any match to Abrar Ahmed yet. There are speculations that the ball will turn in the USA, so along with Imad Wasim you need a bowler, or maybe you will include Shadab Khan again or maybe you have not prepared your mind yet that many more players can be better than Shadab Khan so with same things expecting different results is not justified."
While I agree Abrar should get game time. Ahmed needs to understand that scoring 200 in t20s is a requirement of modern day cricket.

There is absolutely zero chance that all of my squad will be picked, but here you go anyway:

1. Babar Azam
2. Mohammad Rizwan
3. Mohammad Haris
4. Fakhar Zaman
5. Salman Ali Agha
6. Asif Ali
7. Shadab Khan
8. Imad Wasim
9. Shaheen Afridi
10. Mohammad Amir
11. Naseem Shah

12. M Waseem Jnr
13. Aamir Jamal
14. Abrar Ahmed
15. Saud Shakeel
Slightly ashamed that I had picked Shadab Khan, but other than him this was a better squad for WC, dont you guys think?

Back