Who will be next Pakistani batsman to score 7,000 Test runs?

JibranAnsari

ODI Captain
Runs
As younis khan becomes the only 4th batsman to score 7000 test runs the arises that who will be the next pakistani batsman to do so. In my opinion he probably is the last pakistani batsman to do so. The number of tests we play are very few in numbers , at least in the next 7 8 years no pakistani batsman is going to do so. If any Azhar may be the next one.

Azhar but we may play few tests matches. If azhar plays for like Ten years ( yeah tall ask) then maybe.

Azhar, Umar Akmal, maybe Hafeez if he gets out of this slump. Shafiq has a chance, but UA should replace him.

it will take a looooooooooong while, look at the list from younis there isn't anyone else among current players all the way down to 2500 or so i think.

Asad and Umar Akmal are the two for my vote, but first Umar has to be selected.

Asad still has to prove he is a 7000+ / 45+ avg player, to me he seems like like a 35-40 avg player and not one with potential to get up there with the greats.

also PCB has to be start arranging a lot more Tests than T20s.

it was disappointing to not have any tests against WI (our best chance for first series win there), and then only 2 tests against RSA.

Azhar, Umar Akmal, maybe Hafeez if he gets out of this slump. Shafiq has a chance, but UA should replace him.

It will take him 300+ more tests to do so, He will not touch 5000 runs mark.

azhar ali
i m big fan of u akmal but i don't think so with current setup he will make come back in test
at least 1 year more wait for u akmal

it will take a looooooooooong while, look at the list from younis there isn't anyone else among current players all the way down to 2500 or so i think.

That is indeed true. After YK, players from current era are :
Taufeeq Umar - 2943
Kamran Akmal - 2648
Misbah Ul Haq - 2551
Imran Farhat - 2400
Mohammad Hafeez - 2045
Azhar Ali - 2029
Shoaib Malik - 1606
Faisal Iqbal - 1124
Asad Shafiq - 1112
Umar Akmal - 1003

Needless to say, only the bolded ones have any chance of getting near that 7000 figure. Others would be lucky to reach 4000.

^ how so? Because of his superior test match batting sense?

because asad and azhar are on the wrong side of 20 and considering we dont play enough tests, they will do well get to 5000.

Similarly Amin, Jamshed and haris have played little to no games.

Akmal has a 1000 runs, is a complete batsman and inst an FTB.

Plus he is still 23, the youngest of all the players i have mentioned

If we had a less concieted captain im sure he would have had 2000+ easily by now

Last edited:
Umar Akmal may go on to be the first one to get 10,000 runs for Pakistan if he plays and performs consistently for the next 15 years.

Azhar Ali/Asad Shafiq/Umar Akmal.

If given a good run in the side and Pakistan increases the number of test matches they play these three will score 7000 runs.

UA for sure but then this set up has to leave. So annoying to see him not in the test side.
Asad shafiq for sure not, he will get dropped sooner or later. He just doesnt have it.

Azhar ali needs to improve a lot.
I have higher hopes for the likes of umar amin and haris sohail.

Who will be next Pakistani batsman to score 7000 test runs?

What?

Only Azhar...maybe.

Problem is Asad and Azhar are already 27 and 28 respectively. So even if we say they can play like misbah for the next ten years i still think they wont make it. I would say realistically only asad,azhar and umer ( although he is not playing but age is on his side) have any chance of breaking the 7000 barrier after younis.

it's a sad indictment of our test cricket that scoring a shade over 4000 runs (which aint much by all accounts) would put you 7th in the all time list. Moyo wouldve gone onto 10000 runs had his career not been curtailed

Who will be next Pakistani batsman to score 7000 test runs?

Problem is Asad and Azhar are already 27 and 28 respectively. So even if we say they can play like misbah for the next ten years i still think they wont make it. I would say realistically only asad,azhar and umer ( although he is not playing but age is on his side) have any chance of breaking the 7000 barrier after younis.

Im sure Younis was 26 when he made his debut vs SL..

Re: Who will be next Pakistani batsman to score 7000 test runs?

Azhar is most likely.

I'd say Akmal second. .. If he gets a game

Depends on whether the PCB/Captain/Coach continue with their policy of experience over current form/future potential. If they continue with this policy it will be Misbah - I'm sure his classy 50's will get him there by the year 2030. Plus if this policy continues there is no way any youngster will get the continual run in the team required to get to this total.

Taufeeq Umar - 2943
Kamran Akmal - 2648
Misbah Ul Haq - 2551
Imran Farhat - 2400
Mohammad Hafeez - 2045
Azhar Ali - 2029
Shoaib Malik - 1606
Faisal Iqbal - 1124
Asad Shafiq - 1112
Umar Akmal - 1003

Needless to say, only the bolded ones have any chance of getting near that 7000 figure. Others would be lucky to reach 4000.
looking at this list I can safely say no one.

Umar Akmal will do it easily, he's 23 and still has plenty of cricket in him

Umar Akmal is best batsman in PAK and will do this.

Azhar Ali is another one who will.

U Akmal is the only batsman that is young enough to get to that milestone

FYI not all of Pakistans games will be played in UAE, you have plenty of tours away from home coming up in the next 7-8 years.

There aren't enough days and matches possible for that to happen :))

7,000 runs = 18,000 balls = 3,000 overs

He needs around 500 runs per year. If he plays every match of the year, he'll have about 16 innings in a calendar year. Basically, all he needs to do is that he needs to make a minimum of 31 runs per innings he plays to reach there.

He needs around 500 runs per year. If he plays every match of the year, he'll have about 16 innings in a calendar year. Basically, all he needs to do is that he needs to make a minimum of 31 runs per innings he plays to reach there.
Wow, so you don't expect better players to come along?

Azhar isn't great, I don't expect him to be playing for Pakistan for than 3 more years if he does I would really worry for Pakistan.

Taufeeq Umar - 2943
Kamran Akmal - 2648
Misbah Ul Haq - 2551
Imran Farhat - 2400
Mohammad Hafeez - 2045
Azhar Ali - 2029
Shoaib Malik - 1606
Faisal Iqbal - 1124
Asad Shafiq - 1112
Umar Akmal - 1003

The mere fact that Faisal Iqbal is still on that list is a testament to the endless batting talent we possess .

Azhar isn't great, I don't expect him to be playing for Pakistan for than 3 more years if he does I would really worry for Pakistan.

I do. But I believe Azhar will be the first one to get there.

I don't see any of these player scoring 7000 runs. None of these players have temperament to score that 'big'

Maybe Azhar Ali will reach 5000, 6000 if Pak play a lot, which I don't see happening. 45ish Av
Asad is solid too but he shall remain under 5000. 40-45ish Av
Umar Akmal, well, he won't play more than 50 tests in his career, he isn't made for test cricket. Brain farts...

I don't see any of these player scoring 7000 runs. None of these players have temperament to score that 'big'

Maybe Azhar Ali will reach 5000, 6000 if Pak play a lot, which I don't see happening. 45ish Av
Asad is solid too but he shall remain under 5000. 40-45ish Av
Umar Akmal, well, he won't play more than 50 tests in his career, he isn't made for test cricket. Brain farts...
Writing a player off at the age of 23 and expecting a mediocre leg spinner turned 'batsmen' to average 45 - Only in Pakistan :))

Azhar is very fortunate to be in the team, Azhar should have gone before Shafiq.

if sohaib maqsood gets proper chances, he will come very close to it

you guys might laugh at me but there is something about his batting that really impresses me

How can he get there with 6 tests a year and better players coming along?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

:facepalm:

First of all, we play about 7-8 tests per year. Secondly, I calculated everything and showed it to you that he only has to make 30-40 per match to get there.

As for the 'better players coming along' part, those players are yet to establish themselves/cement their spots in the team. I can assure you, Azhar will score big in the upcoming SA tour.

If we always keep the fact in our minds that the number of test matches Pakistan have been given in the ftp till 2020 no record is easily possible.

And this fact applies to various threads and queries on this forum. Since it all comes from how many matches Pakistan plays and they are so few and far between that its just sad.

Nothing hurts more than this.

if sohaib maqsood gets proper chances, he will come very close to it

you guys might laugh at me but there is something about his batting that really impresses me

With all due respect to Sohaib, he might turn out to be a good LOI player, but i dont feel he'll be successful in tests...

We should stop over hyping our players, I dont see any potential great batsman in Pakistan set up as of now, not even umar akmal, though he's the most talented bat we have but still he's just decent, not a great in the making

Maqsood looks like a powerhouse, effortless shots :)

Still has a lot to prove, he looks a decent talent but i think he will struggle against decent bowling though i hope he proves me wrong

More than acheiving 7000 milestone, i will be intrested in knowing who will be our next batsman to average 50+ in tests

And with pakistani batting we are pretty sure that he will bat in both innings in each test.

With all due respect to Sohaib, he might turn out to be a good LOI player, but i dont feel he'll be successful in tests...

We should stop over hyping our players, I dont see any potential great batsman in Pakistan set up as of now, not even umar akmal, though he's the most talented bat we have but still he's just decent, not a great in the making

Sometimes aggression is good in test cricket also , if a player can strike at good rate and scores at 40 odd average then it is a positive thing for the team.

Sometimes aggression is good in test cricket also , if a player can strike at good rate and scores at 40 odd average then it is a positive thing for the team.

I would be happy if Sohaib can become a symonds type player....

Can't see Umar Akmal lasting in tests for the next 10 years. Batsman in Test Cricket need to have good technique, good footwork, lots of patience, good judgement and correct shot selection. Umar Akmal is clearly missing some of them.

how about who will cross the 4000 mark, because the selectors will drop you if you fail in 1 math regardless of how you performed before. Pakistan is one of the better test playing minnows and i feel that Brendan Taylor is a better batsman than everyone in Pakistan's test team excluding Younis Khan.

Can't see Umar Akmal lasting in tests for the next 10 years. Batsman in Test Cricket need to have good technique, good footwork, lots of patience, good judgement and correct shot selection. Umar Akmal is clearly missing some of them.

Most of the pakistan batsmen dont have this. The patience shown by our batsmen is usually inability to rotate strike and then giving it away seeking a boundary. None in pakistan team has a good technique and shot selection is usually ' not playing any shot'.even half volleys are defended.

Umar does has a decent technique , very quick foot work even better than Younis Khan, plays the ball with full face of the bat...

But yes he needs to improve his shot selection. He just needs to organise himself at the crease ,but he won't if continues to play slogging role in ODI and T20 cricket.

Azhar, Asad, U. Akmal and Jamshed will all achieve this milestone, InshAllah. Don't see our future bats reaching the 10,000 mark though.

Good call Aman. :shakib

Interesting to see how many times Umar Akmal has been mentioned in this thread. :uak

I think the answer now should be fairly obvious. :azhar2

Shan masood will break 7000 mark next and also the 10,000 mark as well for pakistan.

Writing a player off at the age of 23 and expecting a mediocre leg spinner turned 'batsmen' to average 45 - Only in Pakistan :))
:)))

Azhar Ali dishing a lot of humble pies to people who wrote him off.

Back