Why Bangladesh vs Pakistan never became the rivalry it was meant to be?

Bhaijaan

Hall of Famer
Runs
Post of the Week
East vs West Pakistan
Urdu vs Bengali
Parantha vs Fish
The 1971 war & resulting bad blood

Yet this never became a rivalry of an epic level.

What have been the reasons?

I guess both formerly one nation have really moved on and don’t care about the shared past.

Bangladesh only seem charged up when they play India or Sri Lanka. India due to political reasons (RAW interference, border shooting etc.). SL due to cricketing reason.

Other teams (including Pakistan) are just regular opponents. No rivalry.

Why should it be? 1971 happened a long time ago.

Should Japan and USA be rivals just because Americans nuked Japan? Should USA and UK be rivals just because USA seceded from British Empire?

People move on.
It's actually because of the hate for India that you guys were able to move on.

If if Pakistan I did not have India to hate, they would have projected all their hatred to Bangladesh.

Indian themselves elicit the wrath of Bangladesh when they ridiculed Bangladesh as minnows before a series under Dhoni in Bangladesh where Mustafizur shined the brightest. Also the way they celebrated 2016 win against Bangladesh in T20 WC just laid the foundation of Ind vs Bang rivalry. On the contrary, Pakistan and Bangladesh have just become closer over the time.

Indian themselves elicit the wrath of Bangladesh when they ridiculed Bangladesh as minnows before a series under Dhoni in Bangladesh where Mustafizur shined the brightest. Also the way they celebrated 2016 win against Bangladesh in T20 WC just laid the foundation of Ind vs Bang rivalry. On the contrary, Pakistan and Bangladesh have just become closer over the time.
This is true. I still watch India Bangladesh matches, but haven't watched a single India Pakistan match since 2011.

Bangladesh bring their A game against India.

If if Pakistan I did not have India to hate, they would have projected all their hatred to Bangladesh.

Current generation (both Pakistan and BD) are friendly toward each other. Old folks might have grudges (because they saw the war) but they are in the minorities.

I also believe most Bangladeshis and Pakistanis are nice to each other due to Muslim brotherhood.

Bangladesh only seem charged up when they play India or Sri Lanka. India due to political reasons (RAW interference, border shooting etc.). SL due to cricketing reason.

Oh these are just small things considering what Pakistan did in 1971. And that too against their own countrymen
That's not true. Current generation (both countries) are friendly toward each other. Old folks might have grudges (because they saw the war) but they are in the minorities.

I also believe most Bangladeshis and Pakistanis are nice to each other due to Muslim brotherhood

Good for you guys.... Must have a big heart

Pakistanis don't really gain much by hating either India or Bangladesh. Maybe the establishment gets something out of it, but no one really knows what their motives are or who they answer to. Certainly not their public.

America nuked Hiroshima and Nagasaki. America and Japan are now allies.

People eventually move on. They have bigger things to do. Why worry about spilled milk? Get new milk.
But you haven't moved on from India ... seems rather hypocrisy to me.
Pakistanis don't really gain much by hating either India or Bangladesh. Maybe the establishment gets something out of it, but no one really knows what their motives are or who they answer to. Certainly not their public.
Well for your establishment, it quite evident, that they get a large chunk of unmonitored money to work with, or so I have read in Pakistan: A hard country - good book for a overview.

America nuked Hiroshima and Nagasaki. America and Japan are now allies.

People eventually move on. They have bigger things to do. Why worry about spilled milk? Get new milk.

America is a different country anyway. Do they even have a rivalry in any sport with anyone. They play amongst themselves and call it world championship chico.

America is a different country anyway. Do they even have a rivalry in any sport with anyone. They play amongst themselves and call it world championship chico.

Soccer/Football? America is not bad at that sport. Regularly make it to World Cups and often end up in 2nd rounds.

Anyway, the analogy is same. Political conflicts die down over time (if there are no present issues) and people move on.

Oh these are just small things considering what Pakistan did in 1971. And that too against their own countrymen

Good for you guys.... Must have a big heart
is this a political thread or sport related one?

East vs West Pakistan
Urdu vs Bengali
Parantha vs Fish
The 1971 war & resulting bad blood

Yet this never became a rivalry of an epic level.

What have been the reasons?

I guess both formerly one nation have really moved on and don’t care about the shared past.
They can still bond over the Ummah feeling.

If Bangladesh was Christian or Buddhist, the rivalry would've been epic.

Urdu vs Bengali
Parantha vs Fish

I don't understand why these two factors should be considered for a rivalry. LOL.

Urdu and Bengali are just two languages. You don't create a rivalry over languages.

Bangladeshis eat lots of parathas also. Paratha has less carb than rice and hence many Bangladeshis prefer parathas over rice. Also, it is an inaccurate stereotype to associate fish with Bangladesh (might have been accurate 50-100 years ago but not now). I personally eat more meat than fish.

Is Bangladesh not worth anyone’s time for rivalry sake?
I was a member of a bangladesh cricket forum much before I joined PP. I remember that Bangladeshis there would be happy on two occasions only. When Bangladesh won against anyone. And when India lost against anyone.

Because no one cares.
Srilanka has an amazing rivalry with Bangladesh. Snake themed rivarly. one for the ages. Remember the whole Matthews controversy in the World Cup.

On topic, in cricket today, India is the team to beat. Final frontier for SENA Teams, audition for WI for IPl contracts and a matter of national pride and cricket identity for our neighboring countries.

Well, SL are currently a rival of BD. BD have eliminated SL in both ODI WC and World T20. Also, BD have beaten SL in the last bilateral ODI series. SL only dominate BD in Test.

Bangladesh also doesn't seek any rivalry with anyone. The issue with India is mostly political.

Because we are brothers. We are one. yes we (West Pakistan) made mistakes and caused damage to our Bengal brothers and we apologize for it. But at the end of the day we are brothers and we will remain brothers forever

@sweep_shot @Dhakar Pola

Well said.

I believe mistakes happened on both sides.

West Pakistani establishment wasn't considerate toward East Pakistanis. Bangladeshis also didn't treat Biharis right (many Biharis were treated harshly; some were killed).

Anyway, as a practicing Muslim, I do not hold any grudge toward Pakistan. Most of my real life friends are Pakistanis. My best friend is a Pakistani. I wish all Muslim-majority states the very best (Pakistan, Afghanistan, Morocco, Egypt etc.).

Because we are brothers. We are one. yes we (West Pakistan) made mistakes and caused damage to our Bengal brothers and we apologize for it. But at the end of the day we are brothers and we will remain brothers forever

@sweep_shot @Dhakar Pola

Since you brought the topic up of apologize why don't your government apologize?

I have no issue or quarrel with current Pakistanies. Like me most of them were born after the war and like me I am sure they were thought history which benefited the previous generations. The truth is out their in history books, internet etc. anyone can study and get to his conclusion

Well said.

I believe mistakes happened on both sides.

West Pakistani establishment wasn't considerate toward East Pakistanis. Bangladeshis also didn't treat Biharis right (many Biharis were treated harshly; some were killed).

Anyway, as a practicing Muslim, I do not hold any grudge toward Pakistan. Most of my real life friends are Pakistanis. My best friend is a Pakistani. I wish all Muslim-majority states the very best (Pakistan, Afghanistan, Morocco, Egypt etc.).
Glad to hear bro. and what is current state of Biharis in Bangladesh?

I heard still some bengalis live in Karachi and they have their own colony

Since you brought the topic up of apologize why don't your government apologize?

I have no issue or quarrel with current Pakistanies. Like me most of them were born after the war and like me I am sure they were thought history which benefited the previous generations. The truth is out their in history books, internet etc. anyone can study and get to his conclusion
I don't know about the government but i can tell about the people of Pakistan

I don't know about the government but i can tell about the people of Pakistan
Yeah that's why I said I have no issue with the people of Pakistan. I have seen many of them not ok with the genocide that happened. I am sure the west Pakistan people was also kept in secret what was happening in east in 1971

Yeah that's why I said I have no issue with the people of Pakistan. I have seen many of them not ok with the genocide that happened. I am sure the west Pakistan people was also kept in secret what was happening in east in 1971
Yes to be honest none of them were aware of genocide at that time. Things got disclosed later

They are like the current Pakistan team, not good enough to warrant any rivalry.

Teams like Zimbabwe, Ireland, SL, Windies, and Afghanistan can probably have a rivalry with BD.

Windies haven't won an ODI series against BD in years (both home and away).

But, then again, rivalry doesn't have to be for cricketing reason. There can be political reasons too.

Glad to hear bro. and what is current state of Biharis in Bangladesh?

I heard still some bengalis live in Karachi and they have their own colony

I don't know about this topic in great details. So, can't comment on this. I know that Biharis were killed and were treated harshly after the war.

Also, I left Bangladesh in 2005. So, out of sync with certain things including this topic.

They are our brothers we love them for the sake of Allah swt and they love us.

We owe our independence from Britain, and from a facing a future of Hindu tyranny, to each other.

That it all fell apart in the end is immaterial.

The main goal was accomplished in 47.

Why should it be? 1971 happened a long time ago.

Should Japan and USA be rivals just because Americans nuked Japan? Should USA and UK be rivals just because USA seceded from British Empire?

People move on.
Some democracies thrive on such thoughts.

We owe our independence from Britain, and from a facing a future of Hindu tyranny, to each other.

What about Afghanistan :yk3

Agree.

It was far more crucial to be out of British Empire and undivided India.

What happened in 1971 was sad but the true "mission accomplished" was in 1947.

irrespective of whether they face India or SL or any other team, the output in the larger context is same. It has to be worst performing sports team ever. Wait for few years same will be the case with Economy. Pakistan will do much better than BD. They are just going through a difficult phase now but will overtake BD in future.

irrespective of whether they face India or SL or any other team, the output in the larger context is same. It has to be worst performing sports team ever. Wait for few years same will be the case with Economy. Pakistan will do much better than BD. They are just going through a difficult phase now but will overtake BD in future.

That's entirely okay with me. I am a well-wisher of all Muslim states. Pakistan, Afghanistan, Morocco, Egypt, Sudan, Somalia etc.

Whether BD economically do well or not doesn't affect me personally. I left BD in 2005. I have nothing there.

Last edited by a moderator:
because bangladeshi people are generally nice and friendly towards pakistanis, what happened, happened, bangladeshis are happy they got their independence, and pakistanis in time have realised what a mess that whole time was. apart from a few cyber indians trying to goad them into hating each other, the majority just want the other to do well.

also bangladeshis tend to be fairly magnanimous in acknowledging pakistanis and their influence, especially when it comes to cricket. also finally, despite what happened, a huge proportion, id argue the majority of bangladeshis at the time didnt want independence from Pakistani people, they wanted it from the Pakistani army.

from 47 till the late 60s, whenever the point of bengali secession came up, it was from the Pakistan army trying to exploit and break up the country, and numerous bengali lawmakers insisted that punjab and the army should declare independence and that they would remain Pakistan. bangladeshis believed in Pakistan as much as any other Pakistani, it was the army's injustices that forced them into giving up the idea.

Why should there be a rivalry between Pakistan and Bangladesh when both countries already have brotherly relations? Is there any dispute that should cause them to engage in a rivalry? Not at all!

It's the same as asking why India doesn't have a rivalry with Afghanistan lol

Pak v India don't engage really any more at any forum and despite the anger of Afghan refugees Pakistan is ok with the Afghan government.

The only regional rivalries in the area are:

India and Nepal
India and China
India and Maldives

The rest are Bhai Bhai.

The Whole region will become Bhai Bhai once India is Bye Bye

Pak v India don't engage really any more at any forum and despite the anger of Afghan refugees Pakistan is ok with the Afghan government.

India and Nepal
India and China
India and Maldives

The rest are Bhai Bhai.

might be bit of a wait.

India and Nepal
India and China
India and Maldives

The rest are Bhai Bhai.

and we get told common pakistanis have nothing but love for India and Indians.

Why would Bangladesh and Pakistan be fighting? That makes no sense and there is no reason for that. People will bring 1971 but it has ben 6 decades now. There is no real reason for these 2 nations to hold grudge and fight.

It was never meant to be. There is no war type rivalry here.

Why would Bangladesh and Pakistan be fighting? That makes no sense and there is no reason for that. People will bring 1971 but it has ben 6 decades now. There is no real reason for these 2 nations to hold grudge and fight.

Rivalry doesn't mean enmity. England and Australia are rivals.

Even siblings are rivals. But Pakistan and Bangladesh don't even have that, because there is nothing in common to base the rivalry on.

You're right. There's almost no connection between the two countries

- Hardly any foreign relations - can't remember the last visit by either Head of State
- Hardly any trade. The countries don't even have a free trade agreement
- Hardly any people relations. I was surprised to hear in the recent riots that a small number of Pakistani students study in Bangladesh but it doesn't seem like there's any tourist traffic either way
- Hardly any cultural relations. I was trying to Google but it seems like it's not possible to watch Pakistani drama in Bangladesh except through YouTube. Of course Bangladeshi culture is very language specific so not popular outside

With so little connection, it's no wonder there's no sporting or national rivalry. I can't remember a single exciting match or series between the two countries.

You have to think and know about each other to like or dislike each other and have rivalries.

One really wonders what the British were thinking when they divided Mahabaharat like that where East and West became Pakistan and yet had nothing in common.

Bangladesh - Sri Lanka
Pakistan - Afghanistan

These cricketing rivalries could make sense due to recent events.

Why Pakistan - Bangladesh? :unsure: I never ever saw even an inkling of any rivalry

Artificial rivalries always need an event. Usually one of hurt for one of the nations form which emerges the need for vengeance and from which emerges what you call a rivalry.

Remember England vs Australia wasn’t a rivalry until the Ashes came into being.

Although Bangladesh has left behind Pakistan economically, they still remain submissive in sports to them.

yeah, the ones who bend to accomodate pak wishes.

They are a dying breed and all going bye-bye

Those aren't the ones I meant. Indian Punjabis get a love of love in Pakistan for example.

Anyway the people you have described are preferable to people who when asked "are you Indian" says no. Or when asked are you Hindu denies it and says play the ball not the man.

Those aren't the ones I meant. Indian Punjabis get a love of love in Pakistan for example.

Anyway the people you have described are preferable to people who when asked "are you Indian" says no. Or when asked are you Hindu denies it and says play the ball not the man.

Punjabism is a sub nationality of its own. Recently the donkey headed Khalistanis have given us a bad name as a community collectively but we will banish them from our legacy forever

Punjabism is a sub nationality of its own. Recently the donkey headed Khalistanis have given us a bad name as a community collectively but we will banish them from our legacy forever
Agreed that when Khalistan is shortly freed their behaviour when overseas will no longer impact you.

- Hardly any people relations. I was surprised to hear in the recent riots that a small number of Pakistani students study in Bangladesh but it doesn't seem like there's any tourist traffic either way

This part is not true. In western countries, Pakistanis and Bangladeshis are starting to marry each other.

Here in Canada, I know at least 7 mixed Bangladeshi-Pakistani couples (there are probably many more). One of my relatives has a Pakistani spouse.

Moeen Ali also has a Bangladeshi spouse.

One really wonders what the British were thinking when they divided Mahabaharat like that where East and West became Pakistan and yet had nothing in common.

What do you mean by nothing in common? What about religion?

If I remember correctly, Bangladesh was given a choice and they joined Pakistan due to Islam.

I am glad they picked Pakistan because being with India could've been 10-20 times worse.

If I remember correctly, Bangladesh was given a choice and they joined Pakistan due to Islam.

I am glad they picked Pakistan because being with India could've been 10-20 times worse.

They could have chosen to be on their own though. Could have avoided the drama of 1971.

Artificial rivalries always need an event. Usually one of hurt for one of the nations form which emerges the need for vengeance and from which emerges what you call a rivalry.

Remember England vs Australia wasn’t a rivalry until the Ashes came into being.

Although Bangladesh has left behind Pakistan economically, they still remain submissive in sports to them.

Bangladesh is better than Pakistan, SL etc. when it comes to soccer/football. Check FIFA rankings.

Bangladesh is "submissive" to top 6 teams when it comes to cricket (Australia, India, NZ, South Africa, Pakistan, and England). Other teams are often beaten by Bangladesh. West Indies haven't won an ODI series against BD since 2014 (lost 4 ODI series in a row since then).

Again, I am trying to understand your logic. On one hand, you say there is no reason for a rivalry. On the other hand, your thread is asking why there is no rivalry. Confusing logic.

Bangladesh is better than Pakistan, SL etc. when it comes to soccer/football. Check FIFA rankings.

Bangladesh is "submissive" to top 6 teams when it comes to cricket (Australia, India, NZ, South Africa, Pakistan, and England). Other teams are often beaten by Bangladesh. West Indies haven't won an ODI series against BD since 2014 (lost 4 ODI series in a row since then).

Again, I am trying to understand your logic. On one hand, you say there is no reason for a rivalry. On the other hand, your thread is asking why there is no rivalry. Confusing logic.

Even Afghanistan have smoked you in a test series at home.

Bangladesh isn't made for sport.

Even Afghanistan have smoked you in a test series at home.

Bangladesh isn't made for sport.

Afghanistan was smoked back in the next series. Afghanistan lost by 546 runs in the next Test.

Loss can happen.

Anyway, I love Afghanistan team and I hope they will keep on achieving big things.

Afghanistan was smoked back in the next series. Afghanistan lost by 546 runs in the next Test.

Loss can happen.

Makes you think, if somebody more deserving (Afghanistan, Ireland, Nepal or anybody else) had been given the years of funding and attention you have, the world of cricket would have been better for it. As it stands, Bangladesh are eternal minnows who even after a quarter century celebrate a random ODI win like they've won a World Cup.

They could have chosen to be on their own though. Could have avoided the drama of 1971.

Joining Pakistan in 1947 made sense.

Drama didn't stop after 1971 (Mujeeb's assassination, Ershad's reign, Hasina-Khaleda catfight etc.). Subcontinent always has drama.

Just of curiosity , what are Bangladesh’s Top 3 achievements in sports so far.

Like world championships or gold medals at big events

Religion mattered only to the point that physical appearances was not an obstacle. West Pakistanis thought bangladeshis were an inferior species, read some of the language used at the time to describe your people. They couldn't bear the thought of being ruled over by bengalis.

Makes you think, if somebody more deserving (Afghanistan, Ireland, Nepal or anybody else) had been given the years of funding and attention you have, the world of cricket would have been better for it. As it stands, Bangladesh are eternal minnows who even after a quarter century celebrate a random ODI win like they've won a World Cup.

OK. That's your opinion.

OK. That's your opinion.

Anyway, not sure why you are telling me this like a whiny woman. Not sure what your objective is.

My objective is to tell you that you're not made for sport. So stop quoting that you are #184 (vs Pakistan's #197) in the FIFA rankings - it means nothing.

Religion mattered only to the point that physical appearances was not an obstacle. West Pakistanis thought bangladeshis were an inferior species, read some of the language used at the time to describe your people. They couldn't bear the thought of being ruled over by bengalis.

No. This is not true at all. Common people of Bangladesh and Pakistan don't think badly of each other. I am very active on social media and I don't see any conflict like I see between Bangladeshis and Indians/Sri Lankans. Exceptions are not norms.

Most of my friends in real life are Pakistanis (90%).

Just of curiosity , what are Bangladesh’s Top 3 achievements in sports so far.

Like world championships or gold medals at big events

Do you not have Google in India? Why don't you search?

BD won a U-19 World Cup in cricket once. Also, won SAARC in football once.

Have you ever met me personally?

I haven't met you personally, but I quote:

Some of my life's unpleasant experiences have been:

- Someone hitting me for 43 runs in 1 over (I gave away 7 sixes and 1 no-ball).

=========================================

What about you? What are some of your life's unpleasant experiences?

OK. That was street cricket.

Why are you derailing the thread?

Why can't these Indians write like civilized human beings?

He’s just having fun with you and checking how mentally touch you are. A necessary parameters to excel at Sports.

He’s just having fun with you and checking how mentally touch you are. A necessary parameters to excel at Sports.

How will you handle Aussies if you can’t handle this Chico.

LOL. How can my toughness help Bangladesh team?

You lot don't play for India. You are just cheerleaders. Same with me.

Common religion is a unifier, not ground for rivalry.

There is nothing common on which rivalry can be based between Pakistan and Bangladesh. Two disjoint sets (if you know Set Theory).

Back