Why did Shan Masood allow Sarfaraz Ahmed to captain during the 2nd test?

mominsaigol

Test Debutant
Runs
Post of the Week
I think this deserves a separate thread.

Genuinely what's with making Sarfraz a scapegoat?

Shan Masood was made captain because despite his lack of form, he's a good communicator in the English Language and has gone through the British Education System.

So isn't it ironic that he gave up on captaining the team and just told Sarfraz Ahmed a guy who wasn't even in the playing 11 to captain and lead for him?

Why? What's the point in that? And what message does it send? I recall babar doing this multiple times in the New Zealand series as well.

If 2 current captains aren't even willing to captain their own side and give up midway for a guy who isn't even a regular, then why did you even strip him of captaincy in the first place?

Taking advice from a keeper is one thing, but totally giving up midway and letting the keeper who isn't even in the playing 11 make all your decisons for you and lead and motivate and even choose the bowlers and field settings for you?

I've never seen this happpen for any other side. Only in the NZ series and this test match did this happen where the captains took a vacation and let sarfraz Do virtually everything, even deciding on drs.

How did this transpire? was it because he went for a break (maybe went to watch some video’s of EastEnder’s to perfect his English), how many overs was it for?

I didn’t see this but not surprised by such a cowardly move

So Pakistan basically have no chance to qualify for the final in this cycle, they are basically going to play dead rubbers for the next 18 months or so.

Might as well appoint Sarfaraz as captain and do as much chopping and changes needed to find a proper combination for the next cycle.

Find the combination, Sarfaraz retires and the new skipper leads Pakistan in the next cycle. What’s there to lose now?

So Pakistan basically have no chance to qualify for the final in this cycle, they are basically going to play dead rubbers for the next 18 months or so.

Might as well appoint Sarfaraz as captain and do as much chopping and changes needed to find a proper combination for the next cycle.

Find the combination, Sarfaraz retires and the new skipper leads Pakistan in the next cycle. What’s there to lose now?

Literally we posted this at the same time, great minds think alike

Zimbabwe should tour Pak asap

As I said before - it’s a desperate attempt to save their skin hoping saifi pulls out a miracle

Somebody should have roughed Shan up after that, but these boys would drop quicker than a waterproof towel

I saw the BD innings ball by ball. Never seen anything that suggested that Sarfraz was handed over the captaincy or asked to call the shots.

Ideally, WK is the best person to be the he occupies the most happening role, stays on the field for most times and is positioned at the ideal spot to see the batting (flaws), field position, wicket. Besides, he is the guy with by far the highest touch of the ball. However, WKeeping is a very busy, rowdy job - often too much for a captain, hence some of the greatest WKs were never made captains.

However, senior WKs are the go to guy for any Captain - what Sarfraz did for Masood, I have seen that many times Hilley doing for Border or Taylor, Kirmani for Kapil or Doujon for Viv. This is very common that teams come to field after every break with a plan and WK is the assigned guy to roundup the field. Normally, experienced players don’t need micromanagement, rather WK is there to keep them on toes. Anyone watching that great (& ugly) Australian side of 1970s might easily could have confused thinking Ian/Greg Chappell had handed over the captaincy to Rod Marsh.

Unless, there is an official statement that Sarfraz was assigned on field captaincy, no point glorifying him. And, if indeed had he been assigned, then I have to say that he did quite an ordinary job defending 184 on a day 4 wicket under clouds.

Shan being captain is the perfect imagery of this era of Pak cricket which is inherently its worst.

The worst ever Pakistani test batsman leading the worst ever era. And then hiding behind another player to lead like a chicken **** heel.

Somebody should have roughed Shan up after that, but these boys would drop quicker than a waterproof towel
This is why I never believe all these rumours of Shan and Shaheen roughed each other up and then beat up Rizwan!

I mean these kiss blowing, back slapping, cake boys? Seriously?

How did this transpire? was it because he went for a break (maybe went to watch some video’s of EastEnder’s to perfect his English), how many overs was it for?

I didn’t see this but not surprised by such a cowardly move
No he let sarfi captain for the entire day after shanto was smashing him.

It's because of sarfi pakistan even got the wickets in the first place. Shan literally just gave up while on the field. He didn't walk off. He just gave up

There is only one reason for this and that is:

Shan also belives a simple thing that "SARFARAZ is dilon ka captain"

There is only one reason for this and that is:

Shan also belives a simple thing that "SARFARAZ is dilon ka captain"
Naw he just wants sarfi as a scapegoat so he himself can stay in the nexus.

This lot is despicable

I remember the same thing happened when we played New Zealand in 2022 however Rizwan was trying to make it look like he was the one calling the shots when he wasn't even in the XI :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

It is clear that both Shan and Babar understand what a vastly superior leader Saifi is and whenever he is in the XI they will always go to him for advice. I think this understanding of his superiority is also why their is so much insecurity in playing him in the team. They know if he is a regular that the people will see what a vast improvement he is especially compared to Rizwan as both a kepper and a batsmen. Shan and Babar also know that with him in the team, people will come to his support as skipper therefore an effort is always being made to keep him out

Let it be known, if Saifi wasn't unjustly removed after the 1st test at Perth, we would have won the Melbourne test considering Rizwan only score 20 odd runs in both innings. Considering how flat the pitch was, Saifi would have bare minimum scored a 50 in both innings and looking at the margin of our lose, those runs would have been enough to bring a win

Back