Why has PCB allowed the younger players to skip the QEA trophy to play BPL?

Uzair Gooner

Tape Ball Star
Runs
I understand why the likes of Tanvir, Malik, Sami and Afridi are allowed to participate in BPL, as they don't have any future in longer format but its beyond ridiculous to let players like Asghar, Imad, Shahzad and co to play in BPL when QAE Trophy is being played...

And why they themselves are skipping the QAE, Their Departments/regions don't have any problems?

Even in BPL they are warming the benches...

I agree, they should be playing 1st class cricket in Pakistan. Not 3rd class cricket in Bangladesh.

I understand why the likes of Tanvir, Malik, Sami and Afridi are allowed to participate in BPL, as they don't have any future in longer format but its beyond ridiculous to let players like Asghar, Imad, Shahzad and co to play in BPL when QAE Trophy is being played...

And why they themselves are skipping the QAE, Their Departments/regions don't have any problems?

Even in BPL they are warming the benches...

May be they thought playing bpl is much better than playing qae.

PCB allowed them so that they can get some experience of playing abroad with world class players. Whether you like it or not but BPL does have some good quality names like Sanga, Mahela, Shakib, Bravo etc. So, even if the quality of cricket is not at its zenith, the guys are bound to learn a lot and gain confidence to play in the better arena.

Not to forget, these guys can easily make some good money. I seriously doubt the regional teams would pay them even half of what they earn at BPL.

They will be back by the time the Super 8s start, so it is no biggy.

PCB doesn't care about Shehzad, he can do whatever he likes. Go play in BPL or start a modelling career, I don't see him coming back to the national side any time soon.

Asghar and Imad skipping the QEA trophy is a bit worrying though.

Asghar needs to do as much long format bowling as possible he was outbowled by shadab in zimbabwe

I agree, they should be playing 1st class cricket in Pakistan. Not 3rd class cricket in Bangladesh.
Hmm, you are right! ! Your domestic leauges are so FIRST CLASS that all of your legends are crying for ages about its quality! !! And you know how handsomely they are paid in domestic levels that they can't deny if they got anything before them! !!

While T20 is not the best format in the world, playing in a league with the likes of Sanga, Shakib, Bravo, Jaya, Tamim, Nabi, Gayle, Bravo, Russell, Riad, Sammy, Samuels helps these players quite a bit.

They get great exposure which they wouldn't while playing in QEA. At the same time, in BPL the players are getting good money, getting a lot of attention, their parents are being able to watch them live.

So a wise decision from their perspective. I wouldn't mind if our players did the same but our cricketers get paid well in domestics.

Hmm, you are right! ! Your domestic leauges are so FIRST CLASS that all of your legends are crying for ages about its quality! !! And you know how handsomely they are paid in domestic levels that they can't deny if they got anything before them! !!

Well it's still better quality than BPL, where any club cricketer can go and make a quick-fire 30 off 18. Asghar and Imad already have contracts, so money shouldn't be an issue.

I think, his point was First Class (4 Day Match) VS 3rd Class (T20), which is an acceptable concern. However, I see it's a total incompetence for the part of PCB of complete failing to cope with the progression of the game - they are still in 80s, when 16 players were selected for 5 Test & 6 ODI Series & almost identical 11 played in Test & ODI.

There are players who should be groomed/considered for shorter format - so, no issues with NOC for players like Imad, Tannu, Afridi, Saad Nasim, Sharjeel, Latif, Malik, Anwar Ali, Bilawal, Zoaib, Irfan, Jamshed, Hammad, MoHa .......... even Umar & and such many players are there. BUT, players like Asghar, Amir, Babar, Sami, Rahat, Sohail, Gohar, Ahmed, Sarfu ...... players that are playing now or has a future in longer format in future, should never be given NOC for T20 leagues, during domestic FC season. Obviously, these players have to be compensated for the loss of earnings, but that's a bit difficult if Shakeel Sheikh's family is to Fly in First Class & stay at Hilton .........

T20 leagues are ground reality - it's better to accept that & accommodate in the system. Otherwise, outside Big 3, almost every country will face WI like situation - PAK even more, as there is no guarantee on decent earnings in PAK domestics. A joke league like ICL almost wiped out entire PAK team, despite the threat of life ban - those players calculated a better financial proposition of leaving PAK National Cap for a 6 weeks private league, indicates the limitation of PCB. These are most incompetent & corrupt people with lots of ego - won't change & won't listen.

PCB allowed them so that they can get some experience of playing abroad with world class players. Whether you like it or not but BPL does have some good quality names like Sanga, Mahela, Shakib, Bravo etc. So, even if the quality of cricket is not at its zenith, the guys are bound to learn a lot and gain confidence to play in the better arena.

Not to forget, these guys can easily make some good money. I seriously doubt the regional teams would pay them even half of what they earn at BPL.

I can understand sending some of the newer players such as Mohammed asghar and imad wasim but what about umar akmal, shezhad and junaid Khan. They have enough exposure of international cricket over the last couple of years. It's time they put in the hard yards and get back into the team through consistent performances and not through a one of 50 of 20 balls.

QUaid e azam trophy is there to pay for their whole career, but to get a stint at a foreign league, even one game, that doesn't happen everday

BPL over QEA Trophy is a better choice atm as later compromises basic ethical disciplines. My major concern; 70 overs/day is their SOP and including Departmental and Regional teams both, has somehow compromised the quality of competition.

And end up like Fawad or Sadaf?

I'm glad these guys are playing in the BPL, rather than tolling away for the rest of eternity to get recognition and getting paid breadcrumbs.

Also, this will be a great learning experience for them and they get a taste of competitive cricket (especially those that miss out on the PSL is well).

I think, his point was First Class (4 Day Match) VS 3rd Class (T20), which is an acceptable concern. However, I see it's a total incompetence for the part of PCB of complete failing to cope with the progression of the game - they are still in 80s, when 16 players were selected for 5 Test & 6 ODI Series & almost identical 11 played in Test & ODI.

There are players who should be groomed/considered for shorter format - so, no issues with NOC for players like Imad, Tannu, Afridi, Saad Nasim, Sharjeel, Latif, Malik, Anwar Ali, Bilawal, Zoaib, Irfan, Jamshed, Hammad, MoHa .......... even Umar & and such many players are there. BUT, players like Asghar, Amir, Babar, Sami, Rahat, Sohail, Gohar, Ahmed, Sarfu ...... players that are playing now or has a future in longer format in future, should never be given NOC for T20 leagues, during domestic FC season. Obviously, these players have to be compensated for the loss of earnings, but that's a bit difficult if Shakeel Sheikh's family is to Fly in First Class & stay at Hilton .........

T20 leagues are ground reality - it's better to accept that & accommodate in the system. Otherwise, outside Big 3, almost every country will face WI like situation - PAK even more, as there is no guarantee on decent earnings in PAK domestics. A joke league like ICL almost wiped out entire PAK team, despite the threat of life ban - those players calculated a better financial proposition of leaving PAK National Cap for a 6 weeks private league, indicates the limitation of PCB. These are most incompetent & corrupt people with lots of ego - won't change & won't listen.

Hmm you are right here!!
But some other poster are not as sensible as you!!! They just love to undermine anything of BD!! Pak has a very rich & long cricket history but it seems they are not well controlled since long!! BD don't have as rich & long cricket history like pak! But I think BCB is better organised and professional than PCB now!! That's why we started getting result now!!!

Financial reasons mainly.

They will be paid a lot more (hopefully) at the BPL compared to match fees in the Quaid e Azam Trophy. And the PCB realises this and therefore has allowed the players to take part in the BPL.

Financial reasons mainly.

They will be paid a lot more (hopefully) at the BPL compared to match fees in the Quaid e Azam Trophy. And the PCB realises this and therefore has allowed the players to take part in the BPL.

Imad and Asghar have contracts though. So money shouldn't be an issue. Surely these contracts pay enough to put food on the table?

Imad and Asghar have contracts though. So money shouldn't be an issue. Surely these contracts pay enough to put food on the table?

T20 leagues around the world pay a lot more than the pay these guys receive in Pakistan domestic matches.

T20 leagues around the world pay a lot more than the pay these guys receive in Pakistan domestic matches.

Okay that's all I wanted to clear up, the fact that they value money over hard work.

Back