'India run cricket, players have no power right now': Chris Gayle

The Bald Eagle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
West Indian legend Chris Gayle, in an explosive rant and extended chat with Jamie Alter in DafaNews’ Spirit of Cricket podcast, addressed the ‘one-sided’ nature of the existing system:

“When the IPL is going on, you see players who have to leave the tournament to go play for their countries. If you have an IPL window [then] it should just be the IPL in that window. You shouldn’t have international cricket during that time frame, because there’s only one team that’s going to benefit, and that's India. That’s unfair. You cannot have a system like that,”

“If it’s a World Cup window, then it’s just that, nothing else. Same for the IPL. If you want the best players in the world to be playing in the IPL, the biggest franchise in history, then you have to allow them to play in that particular window without interference like international cricket. You cannot pull players out of such a big franchise tournament, because it’s unfair and too one-sided.”

“It’s gotta be a call from the players at some particular stage, saying ‘I’ve gotta choose IPL over international cricket’. It might happen later on. It’s actually happening already in franchise cricket already, where players are retiring from international cricket,”

“You’re going to get more and more players retiring from international cricket [in the near future]. International cricket is going to lose if they don’t say we’re going to call a spade a spade and be frank, and try and put these things together so that everyone can be happy. But it’s a one-sided affair now. There is no loyalty in business.”

“No one can speak to India. India run cricket. You have to face reality, it’s facts. Who is going to talk to India? Who is going to challenge India? No one. They run cricket. It’s not as simple as players saying, ‘Hey, we’re gonna form a union and stamp our authority’.

“The Indian players, the top players, cannot come and play in any other franchise league like the CPL or BPL. The Indian players are not allowed to do that unless you’re retired. But the biggest stars in the other territories are allowed to play in the IPL. So you put two and two together, you get your answer there."

“It’s always going to be a win-win situation [for India]. They worship the game in India. The TV rights, everything depends on India. India is the place. You have to call a spade a spade. India is the place.”

If India don’t win this cup icc/bcci will give them a straight up final place with a 100 runs or 3 wickets head start in the next tournament.

Lol he has praised India and asking for a separate IPL window
That's what I thought.

Hard to judge the tone based on a transcript but it sounds like he has bigged up the IPL rather than bashed it.

Gayle has achieved his fame, money from IPL… now he finally realised that no team can buy him. Gayle should have surrendered his earnings from IPL before making this statement

India give the most money to the ICC too. Is Gayle bhai a bit envious or jealous :D

Would like the see the tone in the video.He joined eng series just before 2 days so that he will earn more money.He pressured kp enough to join ipl for big bucks and in a sense brought ecb in to ipl.

Yes. IPL requires a window. Enough of this IPL-international drama by some boards.

If you want to play IPL, then play IPL or don't come at all.
I think it's not long before the BCCI will ask Boards to guarantee that they will not be calling players in for tours, camps etc. during the IPL. Else players from that board will not be allowed to participate in the auction. If players themselves pull out for rest, that's a different matter of course. Perhaps as soon as the next big auction.

Pakistan will have to figure out what to do in this window. Hold the PSL or play with a a few B teams from nations to try out combinations.

Basically Gayle wants IPL to be the supremo of games and wants no other nation to hold any series or cricket during IPL window.

Not sure why people are saying that gayle bashed India. He did not. He actually wants all other nations to quit cricket during IPL.

I don't understand. Doesn't IPL already have a separate window? The only series going on during the IPL window are Ireland v Zimbabwe or Pakistan v some country's C or D teams.

Gayle has finally spoken the truth, late but came right
What truth you are referring to here? Based on the transcript at least, he hasn’t said anything which is not known already. India is the market, India doesn’t allow its players to play in other leagues etc- what is so explosive about it all?

If anything, he is recommending to have a dedicated window for IPL.

I don't understand. Doesn't IPL already have a separate window? The only series going on during the IPL window are Ireland v Zimbabwe or Pakistan v some country's C or D teams.
Points is all the england players were not played in most important part of the IPL - playoff

RR would have won the qualifiers if they had service of Butler so this is what he is talking about.

Points is all the england players were not played in most important part of the IPL - playoff

RR would have won the qualifiers if they had service of Butler so this is what he is talking about.
There was a WC on the horizon. It was deliberately organized so England could get some match practice. And at the end of the day, it was Butler's decision.

There was a WC on the horizon. It was deliberately organized so England could get some match practice. And at the end of the day, it was Butler's decision.
If i don't come up to work today, it is indeed my decision. But that doesn't mean there won't be repercussions since my action will impact the enterprise.

Gavaskar was pissed and hoped for penalties for players ditching IPL for unplanned national duties.

India/IPL banning Pakistan players was the worst decision.

Had they been allowed then trust me, every single Pakistani player would refuse a PCB contract and be playing IPL now... it would be the death of Pakistani Cricket and Pakpassion could re-brand as INDPassion and get a billion members

Had they been allowed then trust me, every single Pakistani player would refuse a PCB contract and be playing IPL now... it would be the death of Pakistani Cricket and Pakpassion could re-brand as INDPassion and get a billion members
Well, what can we say. BCCI lacks complete business sense

Last edited by a moderator:
If i don't come up to work today, it is indeed my decision. But that doesn't mean there won't be repercussions since my action will impact the enterprise.
Buttler is a centrally contracted employee of the ECB. Therefore his number one priority is England Cricket. It is the ECB that allows him to play the IPL, which is akin to doing side gig or a temporary freelance gig.

Buttler is a centrally contracted employee of the ECB. Therefore his number one priority is England Cricket. It is the ECB that allows him to play the IPL, which is akin to doing side gig or a temporary freelance gig.
Then don't take freelance gig. It's that simple.

That's professional dishonesty in my opinion.

Then don't take freelance gig. It's that simple.

That's professional dishonesty in my opinion.
People take leaves/go away from their jobs all the time for personal reasons. Just because you give someone some money, doesn't mean you own them.

People take leaves/go away from their jobs all the time for personal reasons. Just because you give someone some money, doesn't mean you own them.

Your example doesn't make any sense to be honest. We aren't talking about ECB here.

We are talking about putting yourself as mercenary up for auction and the professional ethics aftermath.

Your example doesn't make any sense to be honest. We aren't talking about ECB here.

We are talking about putting yourself as mercenary up for auction and the professional ethics aftermath.
Professional ethics? Bro, nobody cares about a freaking 3 month long T20 league. It's all about making money and not everyone is obsessed with making money. Some people value other things. Buttler prioritized country over franchise. Because winning a World Cup is more important to him than winning the IPL.

Also, people change their minds all the time. You can't hold a gun to someone's head and make them do what you want just because they agreed to play for your team in a freaking T20 league. The only people who blabber on about 'professional ethics' are the corporate drones who have been brainwashed by their exploitative capitalist employers into thinking that being a corporate slave is the only way to live your life.

There is nothing unprofessional about what Buttler did. He informed his franchise that he had something more important to do and they released him from the squad. If you don't like what he did or wanna hold a grudge then don't select him the next time there's an auction.

Why should other enterprises halt their operations just because a large company decides to host an annual festival? :inti

Why should other enterprises halt their operations just because a large company decides to host an annual festival? :inti
Because a worker of the parent company came to take part on that annual festival of the second company against his share and also share for his parent company.

Professional ethics? Bro, nobody cares about a freaking 3 month long T20 league. It's all about making money and not everyone is obsessed with making money. Some people value other things. Buttler prioritized country over franchise. Because winning a World Cup is more important to him than winning the IPL.

Also, people change their minds all the time. You can't hold a gun to someone's head and make them do what you want just because they agreed to play for your team in a freaking T20 league. The only people who blabber on about 'professional ethics' are the corporate drones who have been brainwashed by their exploitative capitalist employers into thinking that being a corporate slave is the only way to live your life.

There is nothing unprofessional about what Buttler did. He informed his franchise that he had something more important to do and they released him from the squad. If you don't like what he did or wanna hold a grudge then don't select him the next time there's an auction.
ECB players will probably face repercussion in the next round.

Professionalism is subjective to interpretation. You don't think it is unprofessional but I think it is very unprofessional and violates professional ethics of a player.

In your eyes, ethics doesn't play a great role but in my eyes, it is professional ethics who plays the in the greater picture. Because when ethics will come in to play, there won't be any money or any skill which can alter the consequences.

Yep that is TRUE

Oh wait, another Truth.

India also botched more icc events than east and west Pakistan combined. NO???

Gone are the days when pakistani fans use to demoralize Indian fans with W/L ratio.

Gone are the days when pakistani fans use to demoralize Indian fans with W/L ratio.
truth hurts man. Pakistan always had some lucky escapes to win something but on the other hand it is India. There is no comparison.

Yep that is TRUE

Oh wait, another Truth.

India also botched more icc events than east and west Pakistan combined. NO???
Only topper's only can go in finals and semifinals. So its better than who crashed Out in league games after losing to minnow. Isn't it ? :kp

Only topper's only can go in finals and semifinals. So its better than who crashed Out in league games after losing to minnow. Isn't it ? :kp
yeah.. Pakistan got smoked by the USA fair and square and it was always on the cards and everybody knew it.

Atleast they don't choke more often in knockout games.

Professionalism is subjective to interpretation. You don't think it is unprofessional but I think it is very unprofessional and violates professional ethics of a player.

In your eyes, ethics doesn't play a great role but in my eyes, it is professional ethics who plays the in the greater picture. Because when ethics will come in to play, there won't be any money or any skill which can alter the consequences.
Maybe you need to accept that the IPL is just a way for these guys to make money and nothing else. Maybe then you will understand that they have literally no motivation to play this league besides money. So obviously when something of actual value comes along, they will persue that. Because as I said, not everyone is obsessed with money. There is more to life than that.

What are professional ethics? The way I see it, its just a bunch of corporate mumbo jumbo created by greedy capitalists to keep their corporate slaves beholden to them. That doesn't mean that you show up to work in your shorts and start rolling a joint on your desk. But at the same time that doesn't mean not doing what you want, just because "professional ethics" (whatever that means) dictate otherwise.

LOL repercussions? It's precisely this kind of bullying that makes people despise BCCI. You can go ahead and do that. All it will do is reinforce BCCI's image as the bully that it is and run off some of the best T20 players in the world, who would be happy to take contracts in other leagues.

How can pakistan chokes when they cant even reached in knockout ?? :kp :dw
Pakistan does not deserve to reach knockouts because they underperformed. India dominates the whole thing until a knockout stage comes. defeat is a defeat. If you have no trophy, then winning 8 games on the trot means nothing.

Pakistan does not deserve to reach knockouts because they underperformed. India dominates the whole thing until a knockout stage comes. defeat is a defeat. If you have no trophy, then winning 8 games on the trot means nothing.
Ok wait for just 3-4 more days. Hopefully We will show you the trophy.🏆

We have more ICC Trophy then east and west pakistan combined . :kp
It would be a travesty if you didn’t considering the power and influence your board exercises.

The real question for India is why there players are mentally weaker than Australia and England.

They have won 3 and 2 World Cups respectively in the last 10 years compared to India’s 0.

The solution is season long leagues, with more regular international tournaments and breaks for international friendly bi laterals. It’s much easier to organise international cricket around domestic leagues than the other way around. And domestic leagues is a better way to ensure domestic cricketers get paid. International cricket just can’t be monetised in the same way and only supports a few cricketers of each country. And there’s a problem with luck, a good cricketer can not have a good career because he wasn't lucky enough to get picked for international cricket, or he happened to have bad days on the few chances they were given. That won’t happen as much with season long leagues where generally good cricketers will be able to have good careers.

Cricket is still one of the few sports when cricketers have to sacrifice money over career. I don’t think it can continue doing that forever.

It would be a travesty if you didn’t considering the power and influence your board exercises.

The real question for India is why there players are mentally weaker than Australia and England.

They have won 3 and 2 World Cups respectively in the last 10 years compared to India’s 0.
England invented cricket yet they needed more than 35 year to win a ICC trophy .

Then where was their mentality??

India still has more trophy than all the team's except Australia.

England invented cricket yet they needed more than 35 year to win a ICC trophy .

Then where was their mentality??

India still has more trophy than all the team's except Australia.
England didn’t have the chops until Eoin Morgan changed their mentality and Jos Buttler has continued to build on that mentality.

I’m sure England fans wouldn’t have a problem admitting that. However, England not having the chops doesn’t explain why Indian players don’t have the chops even though BCCI has been holding all cricket teams by the balls for over a decade.

I guess money and power cannot buy everything.

England didn’t have the chops until Eoin Morgan changed their mentality and Jos Buttler has continued to build on that mentality.

I’m sure England fans wouldn’t have a problem admitting that. However, England not having the chops doesn’t explain why Indian players don’t have the chops even though BCCI has been holding all cricket teams by the balls for over a decade.

I guess money and power cannot buy everything.
We have already won three icc trophy in 6 years span ( 2007,2011 ,2013)

What these( England ) kids are doing we already did .

England were most powerful team in the past yet they haven't won anything meaningful .

And we won the ICC trophy (1983) when most of people's were don't even know about cricket in india :shh

England were most powerful team in the past yet they haven't won anything meaningful .

And we won the ICC trophy (1983) when most of people's were don't even know about cricket in india :shh
Those who don’t have a present or a future talk about the past.

Cricket is a minority sport in ENG. They have been dominating multiple sports for their size.

What truth you are referring to here? Based on the transcript at least, he hasn’t said anything which is not known already. India is the market, India doesn’t allow its players to play in other leagues etc- what is so explosive about it all?

If anything, he is recommending to have a dedicated window for IPL.
He tried to appease both parties ie India and other nations but in the process accepted that India has established a monopoly over cricket.

Cricket is a minority sport in ENG. They have been dominating multiple sports for their size.
They are not even good enough in football either ,they just won a world cup around 50 year ago . :kp

India give the most money to the ICC too. Is Gayle bhai a bit envious or jealous :D

Actually he wants to pressurise BCCI and IPL authorities so they can start IPL tournament for veterans like him, So he can continue his earning from IPL

The solution is season long leagues, with more regular international tournaments and breaks for international friendly bi laterals. It’s much easier to organise international cricket around domestic leagues than the other way around. And domestic leagues is a better way to ensure domestic cricketers get paid. International cricket just can’t be monetised in the same way and only supports a few cricketers of each country. And there’s a problem with luck, a good cricketer can not have a good career because he wasn't lucky enough to get picked for international cricket, or he happened to have bad days on the few chances they were given. That won’t happen as much with season long leagues where generally good cricketers will be able to have good careers.

Cricket is still one of the few sports when cricketers have to sacrifice money over career. I don’t think it can continue doing that forever.
name me 1 that sacrifices money over career? Our paper tigers even go to play 1 over a side in Somalia for 100 USD.

IPL will run for 6 months in a year. This is going to happen before 2030

I think the ECB will face the repurcussions from their own players. They will tell the board not to schedule any series that clashes with them earning big bucks.

England still runs cricket.

Otherwise the world test championship finals would be held in India. :afridi

Because a worker of the parent company came to take part on that annual festival of the second company against his share and also share for his parent company.
You didn't get it. Why should there be no international cricket during the IPL? If the IPL gets an official window, other leagues will also demand the same. Who gives an official window to domestic tournaments anyway? :inti

England still runs cricket.

Otherwise the world test championship finals would be held in India. :afridi
It is held in England mainly because of scheduling reasons. UK is the sensible choice of venue for a match held in the summers.

However, after losing two finals, BCCI will flex its muscles soon to have a final in India in November or February.

Vaughan says on podcast England played just one good game in 2022 which was against India. That is how it is easy to win a world cup.

Vaughan says on podcast England played just one good game in 2022 which was against India. That is how it is easy to win a world cup.
This is why England is the most clutch team right now, and certainly way more clutch than India.

They find ways to win World Cups even when the odds are stacked against them.

Two World Cup in 3 years, and two games away from making it 3 in 5. It is not fluke - their players possess extraordinary resilience.

England and Australia are more clutch that India especial Australia. Indian players (and pakistan of course) are a selfish bunch. Individual stats still matter for batsman. This is the only worldcup where things are a bit different. They are playing more as a team thus far. Knockouts though may expose us and bring us back to where we belong. In the knockout games India has lost in the past, they have been timid and nervous right from the go. This is where teams like Australia and England shine, tense situations bring out the best in them. When India played Australia this time, they actually played like Australians and hence won. But I feel this in an aberration rather than a permanent mindset change. I hope I am proved wrong.

This is why England is the most clutch team right now, and certainly way more clutch than India.

They find ways to win World Cups even when the odds are stacked against them.

Two World Cup in 3 years, and two games away from making it 3 in 5. It is not fluke - their players possess extraordinary resilience.
Don't care about ultra pyjama cricket. A fluke format. We steamrolled bazballers into a pile of sh** without one of their main player 4-1. That is enough.

ONce India gets the structure right (dropping of one-dimensional players) India will dominate limited overs. Right now they go with 4 tailenders 1 fake all rounder. Even the one they had was injured. I don't expect India to win this one for the same reason. India will go back to old method of 8 batsmen 6 or 7 bowlers. Then things will happen.

England and Australia are more clutch that India especial Australia. Indian players (and pakistan of course) are a selfish bunch. Individual stats still matter for batsman. This is the only worldcup where things are a bit different. They are playing more as a team thus far. Knockouts though may expose us and bring us back to where we belong. In the knockout games India has lost in the past, they have been timid and nervous right from the go. This is where teams like Australia and England shine, tense situations bring out the best in them. When India played Australia this time, they actually played like Australians and hence won. But I feel this in an aberration rather than a permanent mindset change. I hope I am proved wrong.
This is for the first time India plays with 8 batsmen. For 10 years it was always 7 batsmen. Infact INdia has enough bench strength to play 9 batsmen and 7 bowlers. Sadly they went with "marketable" players instead of all rounders.

Don't care about ultra pyjama cricket. A fluke format. We steamrolled bazballers into a pile of sh** without one of their main player 4-1. That is enough.
It is funny how India never finds itself on the right side of these “flukes”.

It is funny how India never finds itself on the right side of these “flukes”.

2021 world T02 ENgland was supposed to steamroll everyone. Hot favorites. Lost the toss. Boom. NZ destroyed them in 3 overs. Australi was supposed to exit early. Won 6 tosses in a row. Boom champions. Australia was supposed to get tot he final at home in 2022. Did not even make semi final. Pakistan looked for an early exit. Netherlands lost to SA. Pak in final. If you odn't think it is fluke i got nothing to say to you. England won back to back tosses in semi and final.

2021 world T02 ENgland was supposed to steamroll everyone. Hot favorites. Lost the toss. Boom. NZ destroyed them in 3 overs. Australi was supposed to exit early. Won 6 tosses in a row. Boom champions. Australia was supposed to get tot he final at home in 2022. Did not even make semi final. Pakistan looked for an early exit. Netherlands lost to SA. Pak in final. If you odn't think it is fluke i got nothing to say to you. England won back to back tosses in semi and final.
Yes but it is funny how India never finds itself on the right side of these flukes.

If you couldn’t win the 2023 final, you cannot win any tournament with this group of players. They clearly don’t have the chops to win white ball tournaments.

Indian fans should hope that the next generation of Indian players have got what it takes.

Yes but it is funny how India never finds itself on the right side of these flukes.

If you couldn’t win the 2023 final, you cannot win any tournament with this group of players. They clearly don’t have the chops to win white ball tournaments.

Indian fans should hope that the next generation of Indian players have got what it takes.
Yea that is called bad luck. If a team thrashes 10 teams in a row and lost the toss in the final and lose the match then it is bad luck. Nothing else. Wonder what happened to your England in 2023 world cup. Destroyed by Afghanistan, India, Finished 7th in a 10 team tournament.

There’s already half a billion here in some form..

Yea that is called bad luck. If a team thrashes 10 teams in a row and lost the toss in the final and lose the match then it is bad luck. Nothing else. Wonder what happened to your England in 2023 world cup. Destroyed by Afghanistan, India, Finished 7th in a 10 team tournament.
It is not bad luck when it happens every single time. It is incompetence.

England won two World Cups in three years. They can’t win every single time.

There is no comparison between England’s and India’s achievements in the last 10 years in white ball cricket. They are light years ahead in spite of all the might of BCCI.

In white ball, England is simply superior when it comes to talent, skill and mental application. It remains to be seen if next generation of Indian players catch up.

It is not bad luck when it happens every single time. It is incompetence.

England won two World Cups in three years. They can’t win every single time.

There is no comparison between England’s and India’s achievements in the last 10 years in white ball cricket. They are light years ahead in spite of all the might of BCCI.

In white ball, England is simply superior when it comes to talent, skill and mental application. It remains to be seen if next generation of Indian players catch up.
Superior team won't finish 7th coming in as favorite lol Come on they won on boundaries at home. THey shortened they boundaries to 56 meter when they played India because if they had lost to India they would be out. Heck they even lost to Pakistan. A dodgy win. 2021 kicked out miserably. You gotta be consistent to be called "white ball giants" like australia in 2000s.

Back