Why is Rumi the best-selling poet in the US?

akheR

T20I Debutant
Runs
Post of the Week
p01xcznd.jpg

The ecstatic poems of Jalal ad-Din Muhammad Rumi, a Persian poet and Sufi master born 807 years ago in 1207, have sold millions of copies in recent years, making him the most popular poet in the US. Globally, his fans are legion.

“He’s this compelling figure in all cultures,” says Brad Gooch, who is writing a biography of Rumi to follow his critically acclaimed books on Frank O’Hara and Flannery O’Connor. “The map of Rumi’s life covers 2,500 miles,” says Gooch, who has traveled from Rumi’s birthplace in Vakhsh, a small village in what is now Tajikistan, to Samarkand in Uzbekistan, to Iran and to Syria, where Rumi studied at Damascus and Aleppo in his twenties. His final stop was Konya, in Turkey, where Rumi spent the last 50 years of his life. Today Rumi’s tomb draws reverent followers and heads of state each year for a whirling dervish ceremony on 17 December, the anniversary of his death.

The transformative moment in Rumi’s life came in 1244, when he met a wandering mystic known as Shams of Tabriz. “Rumi was 37, a traditional Muslim preacher and scholar, as his father and grandfather had been,” says Gooch. “The two of them have this electric friendship for three years – lover and beloved [or] disciple and sheikh, it’s never clear.” Rumi became a mystic. After three years Shams disappeared – “possibly murdered by a jealous son of Rumi, possibly teaching Rumi an important lesson in separation.” Rumi coped by writing poetry. “Most of the poetry we have comes from age 37 to 67. He wrote 3,000 [love songs] to Shams, the prophet Muhammad and God. He wrote 2,000 rubayat, four-line quatrains. He wrote in couplets a six-volume spiritual epic, The Masnavi.”

During these years, Rumi incorporated poetry, music and dance into religious practice. “Rumi would whirl while he was meditating and while composing poetry, which he dictated,” said Gooch. “That was codified after his death into elegant meditative dance.” Or, as Rumi wrote, in Ghazal 2,351: “I used to recite prayers. Now I recite rhymes and poems and songs.” Centuries after his death, Rumi’s work is recited, chanted, set to music and used as inspiration for novels, poems, music, films, YouTube videos and tweets (Gooch tweets his translations @RumiSecrets). Why does Rumi’s work endure?

The inward eye

“He’s a poet of joy and of love,” says Gooch. “His work comes out of dealing with the separation from Shams and from love and the source of creation, and out of facing death. Rumi’s message cuts through and communicates. I saw a bumper sticker once, with a line from Rumi: “Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I'll meet you there.”

“Rumi is a very mysterious and provocative poet and figure for our time, as we grapple with understanding the Sufi tradition [and] understanding the nature of ecstasy and devotion and the power of poetry,” says the poet Anne Waldman, co-founder with Allen Ginsberg of the Jack Kerouac School of Disembodied Poetics at Naropa University, where she is a professor of poetics. “And the homoerotic tradition as well, consummated or not. He is in a long tradition of ecstatic seers from Sappho to Walt Whitman.”

“Across time, place and culture, Rumi's poems articulate what it feels like to be alive,” says Lee Briccetti, executive director of Poets House, co-sponsor of a national library series in the US that features Rumi. (It’s currently in Detroit and Queens and heads to San Francisco, Houston, Atlanta and Columbus in 2015.) “And they help us understand our own search for love and the ecstatic in the coil of daily life.” She compares Rumi’s work to Shakespeare’s for its “resonance and beauty”.

Coleman Barks, the translator whose work sparked an American Rumi renaissance and made Rumi the best-selling poet in the US, ticks off the reasons Rumi endures: “His startling imaginative freshness. The deep longing that we feel coming through. His sense of humour. There's always a playfulness [mixed] in with the wisdom.”

In 1976 the poet Robert Bly handed Barks a copy of Cambridge don AJ Arberry’s translation of Rumi and said, “These poems need to be released from their cages.” Barks transformed them from stiff academic language into American-style free verse. Since then, Barks’ translations have yielded 22 volumes in 33 years, including The Essential Rumi, A Year with Rumi, Rumi: The Big Red Book and Rumi’s father’s spiritual diary, The Drowned Book, all published by HarperOne. They have sold more than 2m copies worldwide and have been translated into 23 languages.

A new volume is due in autumn. Rumi: Soul-fury and Kindness, the Friendship of Rumi and Shams Tabriz features Barks’ new translations of Rumi’s short poems (rubai), and some work on the Notebooks of Shams Tabriz, sometimes called The Sayings of Shams Tabriz. “Like the Sayings of Jesus (The Gospel of Thomas), they have been hidden away for centuries,” Barks notes, “not in a red urn buried in Egypt, but in the dervish communities and libraries of Turkey and Iran. Over recent years scholars have begun to organise them and translate them into English.”

800 years ahead of the times

“Just now,” Barks says, “I feel there is a strong global movement, an impulse that wants to dissolve the boundaries that religions have put up and end the sectarian violence. It is said that people of all religions came to Rumi's funeral in 1273. Because, they said, he deepens our faith wherever we are. This is a powerful element in his appeal now.”

“Rumi was an experimental innovator among the Persian poets and he was a Sufi master,” says Jawid Mojaddedi, a scholar of early and medieval Sufism at Rutgers University and an award-winning Rumi translator. “This combination of mystical richness and bold adaptations of poetic forms is the key to his popularity today.”

The first of Rumi’s four main innovations is his direct address to readers in the rare second person, says Mojaddedi. “I think contemporary readers respond well to this directness.”

Second is his urge to teach: “Readers of ‘inspirational’ literature are drawn to Rumi’s poetry.” Third, “his use of everyday imagery.” And fourth, “his optimism of the attainment of union within his lyrical love ghazals. The convention in that form is to stress its unattainability and the cruel rebuffs of the beloved. Rumi celebrates union.”

Mojaddedi has completed his translation of three of the six volumes of Rumi’s masterwork, The Masnavi. It is, he said, “the longest single-authored emphatically mystical poem ever written at 26,000 couplets, making it a significant work in its own right. It is also arguably the second most influential text in the Islamic world after the Qu'ran.” The original Persian text was so influential that in Ottoman times a network of institutions was devoted to its study.

As new translations come into print, and his work continues to resonate, Rumi’s influence will continue. His inspiring words remind us how poetry can be a sustaining part of everyday life.

http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/20140414-americas-best-selling-poet

Some Rumi quotes

Be like the flower that gives its fragrance
to even the hand that crushes it.
Don't worry that your life is turning upside down.
How do you know that the side you are used to is better than the one to come?
Heart is sea, language is shore. Whatever sea includes, will hit the shore.
Love came,
and became like blood in my body.
It rushed through my veins and
encircled my heart.
Everywhere I looked,
I saw one thing.
Love's name written
on my limbs,
on my left palm,
on my forehead,
on the back of my neck,
on my right big toe…
Oh, my friend,
all that you see of me
is just a shell,
and the rest belongs to love.
Maybe you are searching among the branches, for what only appears in the roots.
All my feelings have the color you desire to paint .
Silence is the language of god,
all else is poor translation.
A white flower grows in the quietness.
Let your tongue become that flower.
Don't be sad! Because God sends hope in the most desperate moments. Don't forget, the heaviest rain comes out of the darkest clouds.

and his "guide", Shams Tabrizi

This world is like a mountain. Your echo depends on you. If you scream good things, the world will give it back. If you scream bad things, the world will give it back. Even if someone says badly about you, speak well about him. Change your heart to change the world.
The words we use for the Creator are a reflect of ourselves. If we think of God as fear and shame, we are scared and have something to be ashamed of…But if we see love, compassion and kindness, it is because we possess these qualities.
If you look around, you can find a face of God in each thing, because He is not hidden in a church, in a mosque, or a synagogue, but everywhere. As there is no one who lives after seeing him, there is also no one dying after seeing him. Who finds Him, stays forever with him.
We all have different faces, characters and names. If God wanted us to be all same, He would have done it. Not to respect the differences, to accuse the others for our faults is not to respect God.

That was one of the first things I noticed in US. There was always a Rumi book close to the checkout counter at the book stores I visited.

Just a few days ago I was browsing a local Books a Million to kill time and found Rumi in there limited poetry section. His alluring work offers calm introspection, reminding us of the beauty that lies all around us and the deeper meaning behind the purpose of life. Sufi mysticism at its best. He also had a humorous side to him. While browsing that book I came upon this interesting poem called "Dervish at the door", here's is an excerpt.

A dervish knocked at a home
to ask for a piece of dry bread,
or moist, id didn't matter.
"This is not a bakery," said the owner.
"Might you have a bit of gristle then?"
"Does this look like a butcher shop?"
"A little flour?"
"Do you hear a grinding stone?"
"Some water?" - "This is not a well."
Whatever the dervish asked for,
the man made some tired joke
and refused to give him anything.
Finally, the dervish ran in the house,
lifted his robe, and squatted
as though to take a ****.
"Hey, hey!"
"Quiet you sad man. A deserted place
is a fine spot to relieve oneself,
and since there's no living thing here,
or means of living, it needs fertilizing."

Wonderful stuff.

I need to discover this gentleman.

Phenomenal personality and definitely way ahead of his time. His work needs more exposure in Pakistan at educational level.

Phenomenal personality and definitely way ahead of his time. His work needs more exposure in Pakistan at educational level.

Do you think the level of spirituality in today's time is far ahead of what was during his time?

I would say he was at par with his time. It is the present time in which we are living which has regressed and gone bad.

I love this quote of his:

“Raise your words, not voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder.”

- Rumi

Do you think the level of spirituality in today's time is far ahead of what was during his time?

I would say he was at par with his time. It is the present time in which we are living which has regressed and gone bad.

You make a good point, but in my opinion Rumi was a very progressive man. The current generation have stopped producing great thinkers and philosophers because of the rigid education system.

Last edited:

Astute observation.

We've progressed a lot as a species in many areas, but have probably gone down hill in terms of philosophy, poetry and spirituality.

Indeed, but If we begin to "expose" our own historical personalities like Rahman Baba in Pashto, Bulleh Shah in Punjabi, Mast Tawakali in Balochi and Shah Abdul Latif Bhittai in Sindhi - who literally all are a local variation of Rumi -, it would already be a good beginning.
Those are either unknown or only celebrated by (a fraction of) their "own" ethnicity.

Few days ago I was reading some poems of Abdul Qadir Khattak, the son of the better known Khushal Khan Khattak, and his writings were of very high metaphysical standards from a Sufi point of view - wonder how many of these unknown gems there are in our regional literatures... who knows Abdul Qadir Khattak amongst Pakhtoons, let alone all of Pakistan ? Not many I'm afraid.

In fact until the 19th century the Sunnis had high educational standards, where spirituality was teached next to religious and rational sciences (even if in the latter category the textbooks were outdated). For instance, if I talk of the Subcontinent only, Shah Waliullah is its greatest theologian, but as much as he's credited for reviving the science of hadith (so a "purely" religious science), he was also an acute metaphysician who wrote beautiful pages trying to explain Ibn Arabi's position (and orthodoxy) - there was never a separation between such fields, but only natural complementarity.

Sadly colonialism destroyed such system, and nowadays only Shias would study Ibn Arabi and Mulla Sadra next to books of "pure" jurisprudence, that's probably why they appear to be more "dynamic" as compared to Sunnis, both on societal as well as intellectual levels (if you read their best clerics, they're well versed in mathematics, Western and Eastern philosophy, etc).

Last edited:
My favourite Rumi quote:

"Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again , come , come."

Rumi

I do agree that spirituality has gone from the Muslim world and we need to revive this great tradition.

Annemarie Schimmel on Rumi's influence in the Subcontinent

...Rumi's work had its largest influence in the Indo-Pakistan Subcontinent, where his poetry has been popular since the early fourteenth century. The Chishti saints of Delhi, beginning with Nizamuddm Auliya, studied the Mathnawl (for they permitted mystical dance and were, thus, prone to give expression to the enthusiastic spirit of Rumi's verses).

Shams-i Tabriz became a legendary figure in India and was often counted among the martyrs of love. The interest in Rumi's work seems to have been common to all classes of society—the Mogul emperors (especially Akbar) were as fond of him as the simple villagers in Sind and Punjab.

Aurangzeb shed tears when listening to a beautiful recitation of the Mathnawi, as did his brother, the mystically minded Dara Shikoh. During the time of their father, Shah Jehan, a number of commentaries on the Mathnawl were composed in Muslim India, as well as glossaries, indexes, anthologies, and imitations. Even Aurangzeb's daughter, Zeb un-Nisa, herself a talented poetess, ordered her poet friends to compose a Mathnawl imitating Rumi's work.

A glance through Indo-Persian poetry reveals many lines inspired by Rumi's thoughts and expressions. That is true even in our day; Iqbal was deeply influenced by Maulana and inserted many of his lines into his own works, mainly into his mathnawls, which he wrote in the same meter as that of his master's Mathnawl. It is said that some mystics in Sind—and it may be true for other provinces as well—kept only three books for spiritual nourishment: the Koran, the Mathnawl, and the Diwan of Hafiz. Quotations from Rumi permeate the Sindhi verses of the eighteenth-century poet Shah Abdul Latif, and it would be easy to draw up an inventory of all the verses used in Indo-Pakistani literature written in the vernaculars that are inspired by the great mystic's work.

Mystical Dimensions of Islam, pp. 327-328

From the introduction of "Life and Work of Muhammad Jalal-Ud-Din Rumi", by Pak scholar Afzal Iqbal

Hegel considered Rumi as one of the greatest poets and thinkers in world history. The twentieth-century German poet Hans Meinke saw in Rumi 'the only hope for the dark times we are living in'.
The French writer Maurice Barres once confessed, 'When I experienced Mevlana's poetry, which is vibrant with the tone of ecstasy and with melody, I realised the deficiencies of Shakespeare, Goethe and Hugo.'

In Turkey, Iran, India, Pakistan and Afghanistan, Rumi is honoured as a saint, a sage and a seer. In contemporary England, Professor R. A. Nicholson translated the Mathnawi into English and characterised Rumi as 'the greatest mystic poet of any age'

Great writing stands the test of time. I am not really a reader of poetry but from just the stuff posted here, you can see why it's held in such high regard. Full of wisdom and insight.

Indeed, but If we begin to "expose" our own historical personalities like Rahman Baba in Pashto, Bulleh Shah in Punjabi, Mast Tawakali in Balochi and Shah Abdul Latif Bhittai in Sindhi - who literally all are a local variation of Rumi -, it would already be a good beginning.
Those are either unknown or only celebrated by (a fraction of) their "own" ethnicity.

Few days ago I was reading some poems of Abdul Qadir Khattak, the son of the better known Khushal Khan Khattak, and his writings were of very high metaphysical standards from a Sufi point of view - wonder how many of these unknown gems there are in our regional literatures... who knows Abdul Qadir Khattak amongst Pakhtoons, let alone all of Pakistan ? Not many I'm afraid.

I quite agree. There are too many brilliant writers in our culture that have slipped under the radar and we need to promote them. The best way to do so is to introduce some of their light work into the school system, rather than recycling the same Allama Iqbal works.

Great thread.

Agree with Cpt. even just the few examples posted here show his magnificence.

Some other Rumi quotes

When someone beats a rug, the blows are not against the rug, but against the dust in it.
The garden of love is green without limit and yields many fruits other than sorrow or joy. Love is beyond either condition: without spring, without autumn, it is always fresh.
You wander from room to room
Hunting for the diamond necklace
That is already around your neck
You suppose you are the trouble
But you are the cure
You suppose that you are the lock on the door
But you are the key that opens it
It's too bad that you want to be someone else
You don't see your own face, your own beauty
Yet, no face is more beautiful than yours.
Load the ship and set out. No one knows for certain whether the vessel will sink or reach the harbor. Cautious people say, "I'll do nothing until I can be sure". Merchants know better. If you do nothing, you lose. Don't be one of those merchants who wont risk the ocean.

I quite agree. There are too many brilliant writers in our culture that have slipped under the radar and we need to promote them. The best way to do so is to introduce some of their light work into the school system, rather than recycling the same Allama Iqbal works.

Problem with reading Iqbal is that Pakistanis limit themselves to his pseudo-nationalist/romantic Urdu poetry. The authentic Iqbal lies in Persian verses and English philosophical texts.
So sadly even our "national poet" is mishandled.

Some more Rumi quotes:

“Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.”

The wound is the place where the Light enters you.”

“What you seek is seeking you.”

“You were born with wings, why prefer to crawl through life?”

"Don’t grieve. Anything you lose comes round in another form.”

Beautiful poem

“I want to see you.

Know your voice.

Recognize you when you
first come 'round the corner.

Sense your scent when I come
into a room you've just left.

Know the lift of your heel,
the glide of your foot.

Become familiar with the way
you purse your lips
then let them part,
just the slightest bit,
when I lean in to your space
and kiss you.

I want to know the joy
of how you whisper
"more”

A stone I died and rose again a plant;
A plant I died and rose an animal;
I died an animal and was born a man.
Why should I fear? What have I lost by death?

I haven't read enough about Rumi to be adding much here, but I first got to know about this great man some 10 months ago or so, have ever since been a huge fan of his quotes.

"The hurt you embrace becomes joy."

Now, this quote may not sound as deep and philosophical as some of the other ones added in this thread, but I like it the most, currently at least, for it is very applicable to whatever I am and have been going through in life since more than six months now.

Reading the quotes of Rumi and the Buddha in general give me positive energy, lift my spirit and make me feel like being elevated to a whole new world of company in loneliness. I simply love them.

Again, "The hurt you embrace becomes joy." So true!

Rumi quotes:

Set your life on fire.
Seek those who
fan your flames
Like a sculptor, if necessary,
carve a friend out of stone.
Realize that your inner sight is blind
and try to see a treasure in everyone.
Rush out in the rain
Be soaked in the sky
Become earth, that you may grow flowers of many colors. For you have been heart-breaking rock. Once, for the sake of experiment, be earth.
If in thirst you drink water from a cup, you see God in it. Those who are not in love with God will see only their own faces in it.
The minute I heard my first love story,
I started looking for you, not knowing
how blind that was.
Lovers don't finally meet somewhere.
They're in each other all along
I looked for my self,
but my self was gone.

The boundaries of my being
had disappeared in the sea.

Waves broke.
Awareness rose again.

And a voice returned
me to myself.

It always
happens like this.

Sea turns on itself and foams,
and with every foaming bit

another body,
another being takes form.

And when the sea sends word,
each foaming body

melts back
to ocean-breath.
Didn't I tell you
not to go to that place?
It is me, who is your intimate friend.
In this imaginary plain of non-existence,
I am your spring of eternal life.

Even if you lose yourself in wrath
for a hundred thousand years,
at the end you will discover,
it is me, who is the culmination of your dreams.

Didn't I tell you
not to be satisfied with the veil of this world?
I am the master illusionist,
it is me, who is the welcoming banner at the gate of your contentment.

Didn't I tell you?
I am an ocean, you are a fish;
do not go to the dry land,
it is me, who is your comforting body of water.

Didn't I tell you
not to fall in this trap like a blind bird?
I am your wings, I am the strength in your wings,
I am the wind keeping you in flight.

Didn't I tell you
that they will kidnap you from the path?
They will steal your warmth,
and take your devotion away.
I am your fire, I am your heartbeat,
I am the life in your breath.

Didn't I tell you?
They will accuse you of all the wrongdoings,
they will call you ugly names,
they will make you forget
it is me, who is the source of your happiness.

Didn't I tell you?
Wonder not, how your life will turn out,
how you will ever get your world in order,
it is me, who is your omnipresent creator.

If your are a guiding torch of the heart,
know the path to that house.
If you are a person of God, know this,
It is me, who is the chief of the village of your life.

Last edited:
A stone I died and rose again a plant;
A plant I died and rose an animal;
I died an animal and was born a man.
Why should I fear? What have I lost by death?

Muhammad Iqbal saw in Rumi's poetry the seeds of the theory of evolution (not in the Darwinian - or more like its sociological interpretation's - way):

...how did man first emerge? This suggestive argument embodied in the last verses of the two passages quoted above did in fact open a new vista to Muslim philosophers. It was Jāhiz (d. 255 A.H.) who first hinted at the changes in animal life caused by migrations and environment generally. The association known as the “Brethren of Purity” further amplified the views of Jāhiz. Ibn Maskawaih (d. 421 A.H.), however, was the first Muslim thinker to give a clear and in many respects thoroughly modern theory of the origin of man. It was only natural and perfectly consistent with the spirit of the Qur’an, that Rūmī regarded the question of immortality as one of biological evolution, and not a problem to be decided by arguments of purely metaphysical nature, as some philosophers of Islam had thought. The theory of evolution, however, has brought despair and anxiety, instead of hope and enthusiasm for life, to the modern world. The reason is to be found in the unwarranted modern assumption that man’s present structure, mental as well as physiological, is the last word in biological evolution, and that death, regarded as a biological event, has no constructive meaning. The world of today needs a Rūmī to create an attitude of hope, and to kindle the fire of enthusiasm for life. His inimitable lines may be quoted here:

First man appeared in the class of inorganic things,
Next he passed there from into that of plants.
For years he lived as one of the plants,
Remembering naught of his inorganic state so different;
And when he passed from the vegetive to the animal state
He had no remembrance of his state as a plant,
Except the inclination he felt to the world of plants,
Especially at the time of spring and sweet flowers.
Like the inclination of infants towards their mothers,
Which know not the cause of their inclination to the breast...
Again the great Creator, as you know,
Drew man out of the animal into the human state.
Thus man passed from one order of nature to another,
Till he became wise and knowing and strong as he is now.
Of his first souls he has now no remembrance.
And he will be again changed from his present soul.

Last edited:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/YEmZVOXRJ0o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Rumi + Iqbal should be mandatory reading for all Muslims.

I always get a bit of flack for maintaining that Iqbal is the greatest poet/philosopher produced by the Muslim world because his works deal with application of the deen to practical life but Rumis works soothe the sole.

My soul is from elsewhere, I'm sure of that, and I intend to end up there.

^ Iqbal is not even the best poet produced in Pakistan. That would be Faiz Ahmed Faiz.

Poet/philosopher.

Agree with DV on this. His practical application aspect makes him a stand out.

Rumi + Iqbal should be mandatory reading for all Muslims.

I always get a bit of flack for maintaining that Iqbal is the greatest poet/philosopher produced by the Muslim world because his works deal with application of the deen to practical life but Rumis works soothe the sole.

My soul is from elsewhere, I'm sure of that, and I intend to end up there.

I would add al Ghazali as well, but to be honest there are many, many others.

^ Iqbal is not even the best poet produced in Pakistan. That would be Faiz Ahmed Faiz.

Perhaps, if you're comparing Urdu verses, but Iqbal's Persian works are on a whole other galaxy (I've rarely read poetry of such metaphysical - nearly cosmic - latitudes), and Ali Khameini went as far as saying that he's the best non-Persian to have ever written in their language, which is quite a compliment if you consider the density of Perisan literature produced outside historical Iran.
His Urdu poetry appears pretty 'dry' as compared to his Persian works, and I think he himself felt that way.

''We rarely hear the inward music,
but we’re all dancing to it nevertheless''

Used to be a rumi fan, a very long time ago

Iqbal's Persian poetry is exceptionally rich and almost otherworldly. Haven't had the pleasure of reading much of it but remember a few lines.

Tapesh mi konad zinde tar zindegi ra
(The heat of struggle animates life)

Husn larzeed ke saheb-i- nazar peyda shod
(Beauty trembled at the birth of beholder)

Did you not remember our text books. Pakistan came into being when Muhammad Bin Qasim conquered Sindh.

If I ever go back home I must dig up my old Mutalea-e-Pakistan textbooks.

My dad told me about him, when I was still in elementary school in the US. It was a really proud moment for me, knowing that he was a Muslim and all.

If there's one thing my school and it's kids have done right, it's that we have Rumi's quotes all over the bulletin boards in school.

This guy's amazing.

The beginning of William Chittick's seminal book The Sufi Path of Love: The Spiritual Teachings of Rumi, I'll try to regularly bump this thread with extracts from the work: here, the beginning, showing how, before his meeting with Shams Tabrizi and his later "conversion", he was already a respected scholar himself, versed in various sciences - exoteric and esoteric - as the tradition back then wanted.

Jalal al-Din Rumi was born in Balkh in present-day Afghanistan in the year A.H. 604/A.D. 1207. His father, Baha' Walad, was a well-known preacher, jurisprudent, and Sufi who traced his spiritual lineage to Ahmad Ghazzali, brother of the more famous Muhammad Ghazzali and master of such well-known Sufis as `Ayn al-Qudat Hamadani. As both a jurisprudent and a Sufi, Baha' Walad was an authority in the exoteric sciences related to the Shari`ah or Divine Law and the esoteric sciences related to the Tariqah or Spiritual Path. In the former capacity he guided ordinary Moslems in their religious duties and in the latter he led a select group of disciples on the way of self-purification and spiritual perfection.

Baha' Walad is the author of the Ma`arif (''Divine Sciences"), a relatively lengthy compendium of spiritual teaching with which Rumi was thoroughly familiar, the influence of its style and content upon his works being readily apparent. In the Ma`arif Baha' Walad demonstrates his firm faith in the Islamic revelation and undertakes an outspoken defense of its spiritual and esoteric teachings as opposed to the blind legalism of so many of his contemporaries. In many instances he wields the sword of intellectual and spiritual discernment against the policies and opinions of such men as Muhammad Khwarazmshah, the ruler of the time, who sometimes attended his sermons; and Fakhr-al-Din Razi, the famous theologian and author of several classics of Islamic thought, who also lived in Balkh.

Around the year 616/1219 the Mongols were moving ever closer to Balkh. Baha' Walad left the city with his family and many followers to make the pilgrimage to Mecca, knowing that he would probably never return. It is said that on the way he stopped in Nishapur, where `Attar was an old man, the acknowledged master of expressing Sufi teachings in verse. `Attar presented him with a copy of his Asrarnamah ("The Book of Mysteries"), telling him, "Your son will soon be kindling fire in all the world's lovers of God."

After making the pilgrimage, Baha' Walad set out for Asia Minor, where he was received warmly in Konya (in present-day Turkey) by the Seljuk king `Ala' al-Din Kayqubad and his erudite vizier, Mu`in al-Din Parwanah, who was later to become one of Rumi's most influential devotees. Baha' Walad soon occupied a high position among the city's scholars and was given the title Sultan al-`ulama', "Sultan of the men of knowledge."

In the tradition of his forebears, Rumi began studying the exoteric sciences at an early age. These included Arabic grammar, prosody, the Koran, jurisprudence (the science of the Shari`ah), principles of jurisprudence, Hadith (the sayings of the Prophet), Koranic commentary, history, dogmatics, theology, logic, philosophy, mathematics, and astronomy. By the time his father died in 628/1231, Rumi was an acknowledged master in these fields. His name is to be found in the old sources among the lists of the doctors of the Law belonging to the Hanafi school. Given his erudition, it is not surprising that at the young age of twenty-four he was asked to assume his father's duties as a preacher and jurisprudent.

When Rumi took over his father's position, he must already have been well versed in the spiritual techniques and esoteric sciences of Sufism. Since he had been raised by an outstanding Sufi master, lie could hardly have avoided acquaintance with Sufism, even had he been so inclined. However this may be, most sources state that his formal training in Sufism began when Burhan al-Din Tirmidhi, a high-ranking disciple of Rumi's own father, came to Konya in 629/1232. Until Tirmidhi's death in 638/1240, Rumi practiced the discipline of the spiritual path under his guidance.

After Tirmidhi's death, Rumi occupied himself mainly with preaching to and guiding the people of Konya. He gained widespread fame as one of the most respected doctors of the Law, while he continued his own spiritual practices as a Sufi adept. As S. H. Nasr has pointed out, by this time Rumi was already an accomplished Sufi master. In other words, he had traversed the stations of the Sufi path and realized the direct and immediate vision of God he discusses so constantly in his verse. But in spite of his spiritual attainments, Rumi's outward life remained the same as it had always been. He preserved the customary activities and trappings of a staid and honored doctor of the Law. Sometimes he would discuss the spiritual mysteries in his sermons, but he never gave any outward indication that he was any different than other jurisprudents and lawyers for having knowledge of them.

With all due respect to Rumi and Ghazali, I don't think high of them and spiritualism in general. The rise of spiritual Islam has kill the free thinking and investigative spirit from our cultural.

Sufism has being a nemis in our society from more than thousand years. The art of spiritualism has being devalued and hijack by religion and these guys ( Ghazali and Rumi) were chief culprits.

Sufism has mixed spiritual imagination with religion in a way to really block free thinking not in small but in a big way. It has created a lazy cultural of obedience that has lead to halt of scientific investigation.

The curiosity and hunger of knowing something by evidence, the power of dissatisfaction is replaced by peace and obedience of submission to religion.

Is this really a culture we want to keep investing in? - I don't want spiritualism to dominate the culture of science This is a death sentence to the civilization, that is what happened to us anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With all due respect to Rumi and Ghazali, I don't think high of them and spiritualism in general. The rise of spiritual Islam has kill the free thinking and investigative spirit from our cultural.

Sufism has being a nemis in our society from more than thousand years. The art of spiritualism has being devalued and hijack by religion and these guys ( Ghazali and Rumi) were chief culprits.

Sufism has mixed spiritual imagination with religion in a way to really block free thinking not in small but in a big way. It has created a lazy cultural of obedience that has lead to halt of scientific investigation.

The curiosity and hunger of knowing something by evidence, the power of dissatisfaction is replaced by peace and obedience of submission to religion.

Is this really a culture we want to keep investing in? - I don't want spiritualism to dominate the culture of science This is a death sentence to the civilization, that is what happened to us anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These were more spiritual than spiritualists, and in all the al Kindi, Ibn Sina, ... were all "spiritual" yet their contributions to science and philosophy don't need more explanations here. Al Ghazali even said that studying the likes of mathematics and medicine was a religious obligation.

Last edited:
Brilliant stuff what a wonderful human being, has anyone purchased any of his books in English? if so i'd appreciate it if you give me some recommendations. If you think its absolutely neccesary i'd prefer a book with Analysis given the sophistication of his work. Thanks :)

These were more spiritual than spiritualists, and in all the al Kindi, Ibn Sina, ... were all "spiritual" yet their contributions to science and philosophy don't need more explanations here. Al Ghazali even said that studying the likes of mathematics and medicine was a religious obligation.

You are making too much of Spiritualism. Ghazal's intellect regressed when he moved from a philosopher to a fundamental religious leader. How much of mathematics or medicine did he studied himself? - What he achieved in that? He moved away from science to defending fundamental Islam.

He moved people away from Science to religious studies that was contrary to the principles of science. In those days and as it is today, you cannot question the fundamentals of religion (existence of God, truthiness of Quran, Prophet, etc) when studying religion. These are not scientific principle, science questions itself more than anything else, that's how it progresses and keeps evolving. Spiritualism does not work that way, obedience and Faith (believing in unseen or without evidence) is key for them. Spiritualism feeds of on mystery of unknown, they focus more on magic and emotional brain cells than the reasoning ones. Ghazal spend 10 years in wilderness to find God and piece, he did not do any scientific research at that time rather more and more opium of Faith, I don't see any value in such an intellectual exercise. The rise of Sufism in Islam has darken the scientific process (of fulfilling curiosity by evidence and experiment base methods, where evidence is more valued than Faith), what has sufism done for us?? - illiterate and ignorant culture?

Quotes:

Sorrow prepares you for joy. It violently sweeps everything out of your house, so that new joy can find space to enter. It shakes the yellow leaves from the bough of your heart, so that fresh, green leaves can grow in their place. It pulls up the rotten roots, so that new roots hidden beneath have room to grow. Whatever sorrow shakes from your heart, far better things will take their place.
Wear gratitude like a cloak and it will feed every corner of your life.
If you are irritated by every rub, how will you be polished ?
Stop acting so small. You are the universe in ecstatic motion.
You were born with wings, why prefer to crawl through life?
Where there is ruin, there is hope for a treasure

Don't let them think that we've broken down,
That we've cracked up ;
We merely dropped leaves,
For a further spring.

Keep on knocking
'til the joy inside
opens a window
look to see who's there

You have no idea how hard I've looked
for a gift to bring You.
Nothing seemed right.
What's the point of bringing gold to
the gold mine, or water to the ocean.
Everything I came up with was like
taking spices to the Orient.
It's no good giving my heart and my
soul because you already have these.
So I've brought you a mirror.
Look at yourself and remember me.

Seizing my life in your hands, you thrashed me clean
On savage rocks of eternal mind.
How its colors bled, until they grew white!
You smile and sit back: I dry in your sun.

The Sea boils with passion for you,
The clouds pour pearls at your feet
A lightning from your love has pierced the earth
This smoke curling to heaven is its child.

We were green: we ripened and grew golden.
The Sea terrified us: we learned how to drown.
Squat and earthbound, we unfolded huge wings.
We started sober: are love's startled drunkards.

You hide me in your cloak of nothingness
Reflect my ghost in your glass of being
I am nothing, yet appear: transparent dream
Where your eternity briefly trembles.

Love's way is humility and intoxication,
The torrent floods down. How can it run up?
You'll be a cabuchon in the ring of lovers,
If you're a red ruby's slave, dear friend ;
Even as Earth is a serf of the sapphire sky
And your monkey body's a slave to your spirit.

What did Earth ever lose by this relationship?
What mercy has the Self showed to weary limbs?
One shouldn't beat the snare drum of awakening
Beneath a cosy sofa's, comfy counterpane.

Hoist, like a hero, your flag in the desert.
Listen with your soul's ear to the song,
In that hollow of the vast turquoise dome,
Rising from the lover's passionate moan .

When your tight gown-strings are loosened
By the tipsy inebriation of perfect love,
The victorious heavens shout, triumphantly!
And the constellations gaze down ashamed.
This world is in deep trouble, from top to bottom,
But it can be swiftly healed by the balm of love.

Be like melting snow - wash yourself of yourself.
I smile like a flower not only with my lips
but with my whole being.
God turns you from one feeling to another and teaches by means of opposites so that you will have two wings to fly, not one.
Reason is like an officer when the king appears; The officer then loses his power and hides himself. Reason is God's shadow; God is the sun. What power has the shadow before the sun.
I was going to tell you my story
but waves of pain drowned my voice.
I tried to utter a word but my thoughts
became fragile and shattered like glass.
Even the largest ship can capsize
in the stormy sea of love,
let alone my feeble boat
which shattered to pieces leaving me nothing
but a strip of wood to hold on to.
Small and helpless, rising to heaven
on one wave of love and falling with the next
I don’t even know if I am or I am not.
When I think I am, I find myself worthless,
when I think I am not, I find my value.
Like my thoughts, I die and rise again each day
so how can I doubt the resurrection?
Tired of hunting for love in the world,
at last I surrender in the valley of love
and become free.

illuminating from Shaykh Hamza Yusuf

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/sKYoVvAeYcg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back