Will Ishant Sharma end up playing 100 Test matches for India?

battler

ODI Debutant
Runs
I mean the way he flukes himself to 2-3 wickets in a match just before he is about to be dropped suggests to me that he will continue to be in the team for the long run,he is a bit of a troll bowler,performs poorly most of the time and just when he is about to be dropped he gets lucky.
Those thinking that he will be dropped once dhoni quits test captaincy should remember that kohli will probably be the next captain and he and ishant have been buddies way before dhoni and ishant became.
Ishant has currently played 54 tests at an avg of 38+ and sr of 69+.
I cannot think of a worse test bowler for India who has played a 100 tests.

Kapil,zaheer,kumble and harbhajan are the 4 Indian bowlers that have played 100 or more tests.
And we can safely say that each and everyone of them were much better than Ishant.

I am hundred percent sure he will. If he can make it to 50 then he can make it to 100 too.

Ishant is in Indian Team on basic of his Domestic Performance

Was Selected in Indian team for SA Tour on basic of This Performance
http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/649235.html

Was better than Shami and Zaheer in Test series vs South africa

Remember his Performance in 1st Test

Today again iSHANT has Proved he is Best Bowler India have

Econ Wise Better than Zaheer,Shami and Jadeja

and also Taken 2 Big Wicket,s

Ishant is only 25 and already had played 54 Test,s

May go on to play 100 Test,s for India

Will also Take 300 Test Wicket,s

Ishant is in Indian Team on basic of his Domestic Performance

Was Selected in Indian team for SA Tour on basic of This Performance
http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/649235.html

Was better than Shami and Zaheer in Test series vs South africa

Remember his Performance in 1st Test

Today again iSHANT has Proved he is Best Bowler India have

Econ Wise Better than Zaheer,Shami and Jadeja

and also Taken 2 Big Wicket,s

Ishant is only 25 and already had played 54 Test,s

May go on to play 100 Test,s for India

Will also Take 300 Test Wicket,s

Bhai you cannot base everything on domestic performances.
Jadeja is a beast with the bat at domestic level but he seems like a rabbit caught in headlights at the intl level.
Vinay kumar averages less than 25 with the ball at dom level and helped his side win the ranji title,that means we should bring him back??
As for today's performance,Ishant was only good in the 1st spell,he went back to bowling garbage in all his later spells.

This will be the worst player to have played 100 tests.

Bhai you cannot base everything on domestic performances.
Jadeja is a beast with the bat at domestic level but he seems like a rabbit caught in headlights at the intl level.
Vinay kumar averages less than 25 with the ball at dom level and helped his side win the ranji title,that means we should bring him back??
As for today's performance,Ishant was only good in the 1st spell,he went back to bowling garbage in all his later spells.

What about indian Most Experience Bowler Zaheer How good he was Today

No Pace/Swing etc

was Trundling in early 120s like :amin

Shami was Not Good Either

first Kick Zak out Than Talk about Ishant

Ishant never learns anything new. Some how he thinks that he can be competitive as a bowler with the same standards he had in 2008. Batsmen study bowlers and learn to play them better, and bowlers must do the same to stay in the race. But Ishant never learns a thing. On wickets suited for bowling, he brings out his worst.

What about indian Most Experience Bowler Zaheer How good he was Today

No Pace/Swing etc

was Trundling in early 120s like :amin

Shami was Not Good Either

first Kick Zak out Than Talk about Ishant

I agree zak should not be in our squad,he is too slow for intl standards but that simply does not excuse Ishant who has been terrible for a long long time.
Shami I feel was slightly unlucky,he had lbws turned down of him and should have got williamson but for the dropped catch.

I agree zak should not be in our squad,he is too slow for intl standards but that simply does not excuse Ishant who has been terrible for a long long time.
Shami I feel was slightly unlucky,he had lbws turned down of him and should have got williamson but for the dropped catch.

Rahat ali was also Unlucky in PAKVSL Series :D

Which Bowler will replace Ishant?

Yadav has Pace with Zero Skills Bowl,s Shot and Wide at Time,s :sami:wahab

Bhuvi Which Bowl,s around 125-128kph has 11 Wicket,s in 6 Test matches :D

Not seen Ishwar Pandey yet

The real question would be, when would Ishant Sharma be dropped ??

Rahat ali was also Unlucky in PAKVSL Series :D

Which Bowler will replace Ishant?

Yadav has Pace with Zero Skills Bowl,s Shot and Wide at Time,s :sami:wahab

Bhuvi Which Bowl,s around 125-128kph has 11 Wicket,s in 6 Test matches :D

Not seen Ishwar Pandey yet

Yadav is a miles better test bowler than Ishant,I will take him any day.
Our pace bowling attack should be
Shami,yadav and Aaron with pandey as back-up.
They might be a bit expensive but these guys are wicket-taking bowlers and we need them in tests.

Yadav is a miles better test bowler than Ishant,I will take him any day.
Our pace bowling attack should be
Shami,yadav and Aaron with pandey as back-up.
They might be a bit expensive but these guys are wicket-taking bowlers and we need them in tests.

What about Spin Bowling

which is Biggest Concern india have Currently i feel

What about Spin Bowling

which is Biggest Concern india have Currently i feel

We need our spinner to do a tidy job when bowling,hold one end up and keep it tight and occasionaly chip in with the odd wicket.
jadeja is ok but not really good,he bowled poorly today.
Our only other option is pervez rasool,he is a classical off-spinner in the swann mould and can also bat.

Unbelievable that Dhoni continues to back him and Zaheer! Non cricketing reasons involved for sure.

Has converted this team into a personal fiefdom where his friends get a long rope and everyone gets a raw deal.

he is 25 and injury free unlike other bowlers..

if he is not dropped , he might very well end up getting 500 test wickets in 150 tests :akhtar

he will play 100 test matches easily.

india do play quiet a lot Test matches these days .........

Test bowling average of 38 mostly on flat pitches is very impressive. I don't think he's suited for limited overs but in tests, he's the real deal.

Pathetic comments from Ishant Sharma

Ishant's reply was emphatic - though unconvincing. "I don't think so. You can see that we did not let their run-rate get high at any point," he said. "It was always under control. Even as the wicket got flat and the ball got old, we kept bowling in the right areas. What is in our hand is that when the wicket goes flat, you have to be patient and see how to create pressure."

http://www.espncricinfo.com/new-zealand-v-india-2014/content/story/716831.html

The lack of accountability and shame in some of these players is shocking... He has also mentioned that he is bowling as well as ever. If a run rate of close to 4 is not high in a test match then he must be playing a different game...

He will end up losing 100 matches for India

Ishant's reply was emphatic - though unconvincing. "I don't think so. You can see that we did not let their run-rate get high at any point," he said. "It was always under control. Even as the wicket got flat and the ball got old, we kept bowling in the right areas. What is in our hand is that when the wicket goes flat, you have to be patient and see how to create pressure."

http://www.espncricinfo.com/new-zealand-v-india-2014/content/story/716831.html

The lack of accountability and shame in some of these players is shocking... He has also mentioned that he is bowling as well as ever. If a run rate of close to 4 is not high in a test match then he must be playing a different game...

May be he forgot this was a test match. Run rate was pretty high while the 4th wicket partnership was on. Ishant had an odd good day by his standards today (2/62 at less than 3 per over), so he has every reason to feel elated!

He's sadly one of the best fast bowlers in India.
Shami dived in on the scene...is becoming disappointing
Ishant troubled Ponting and was said to be an Indian great when he burst in
B Kumar was said to be better than Junaid Khan
Sorry but there just isn't any fast bowling talent in India. If India want any sort of decent pacer, in at least even a Kemar Roach standard, they need proper pitches. In Pak, they're pretty bowler friendly which is why we comfortably have the best bowling attack in Asia

He is surprisingly outperforming Shami. So he is in for next Dozen tests atleast.

He will.

He is well on his way and to celebrate his 100th test as one of India's most successful test bowlers ever.

Will play atleast 150 test match and take 450 wickets and break kapil dev indian record

Doubt he will play 150 lol. He is almost 30 and he has already played alot matches so maybe i can see him playing for next 3 - 4 years (120 - 125 matches at max) at max after that he would get injured alot due to age.

Last 100 wickets at 29. And looking very good in each spells in last couple of years. Some improvement from Ishant after having a below average career. He's only 30, looks good to go for another 4-5 years which will take him to around 125 tests and 400+ test wickets

There ain’t no stopping the big man.

India’s best fast bowler by far.

Best bowling talent since Sreesanth.

He's taken his last 100 or so wickets at 28.5. Ishant has gone from a figure of ridicule to a decent pace bowler.

Don't know what average he will end up with, but his services to Indian cricket will always be respected and remembered with fondness. Getting close to 300 test wickets is not easy, and no one is saying he's an ATG bowler but he has done exceedingly well for India esp. in the last few years. Doesn't complain about pitches, doesn't chicken out of tough series and has a great attitude.

Don't know what average he will end up with, but his services to Indian cricket will always be respected and remembered with fondness. Getting close to 300 test wickets is not easy, and no one is saying he's an ATG bowler but he has done exceedingly well for India esp. in the last few years. Doesn't complain about pitches, doesn't chicken out of tough series and has a great attitude.

He’s been a fighter for India in tests. Clean disciplinary record but still retained the aggression and confrontational attitude when required from a fast bowler.

I have always said he was lost under Dhoni. Ever since Kohli took over Ishant has been a different bloke altogether. Goes to show how far a player can go if handled with care.

I give full credit to Kohli and Shastri for Ishant’s revival in last 4 years.

He’s been a fighter for India in tests. Clean disciplinary record but still retained the aggression and confrontational attitude when required from a fast bowler.

I have always said he was lost under Dhoni. Ever since Kohli took over Ishant has been a different bloke altogether. Goes to show how far a player can go if handled with care.

I give full credit to Kohli and Shastri for Ishant’s revival in last 4 years.

For that matter, I would give Kohli the credit for managing all the current fast bowlers well. He's clear that in order to win abroad, he needs good fast bowlers and he's ready to invest in them. Kohli may have several defencies but focus on winning abroad isn't one of them.

For that matter, I would give Kohli the credit for managing all the current fast bowlers well. He's clear that in order to win abroad, he needs good fast bowlers and he's ready to invest in them. Kohli may have several defencies but focus on winning abroad isn't one of them.

It certainly has much to do with Kohli's so called aggressive/brash attitude.

Dhoni was too nice a guy probably to give the fast bowlers the push and support they needed from a captain.

No wonder in Dhoni's era India's front line bowlers were medium pace line length bowlers and line length finger spinners.

No wrist spinner and fast bowler grew under Dhoni because Dhoni didn't have the heart to back aggressive bowlers who leaked runs while attacking.

His overall record is still pretty terrible but I think he has evolved into a (and I can't believe I'm saying this) pretty good test bowler. If you look at his record of the past 2 years then I think he has averaged in the 20s and has not only been a key bowler for India overseas but has also taken wickets in India. Bowling-wise, I think his line and lengths have gotten much more consistent too which has clearly made a difference.

His experience and style of bowling has become a vital component of the Indian pace-bowling attack.

His overall record is still pretty terrible but I think he has evolved into a (and I can't believe I'm saying this) pretty good test bowler. If you look at his record of the past 2 years then I think he has averaged in the 20s and has not only been a key bowler for India overseas but has also taken wickets in India. Bowling-wise, I think his line and lengths have gotten much more consistent too which has clearly made a difference.

His experience and style of bowling has become a vital component of the Indian pace-bowling attack.

I know ... same here. Never thought i would say Ishant and good bowler in the same sentence!!! His last 75 wkts have come at an avg of 25 !! which is impressive.

I mean the way he flukes himself to 2-3 wickets in a match just before he is about to be dropped suggests to me that he will continue to be in the team for the long run,he is a bit of a troll bowler,performs poorly most of the time and just when he is about to be dropped he gets lucky.
Those thinking that he will be dropped once dhoni quits test captaincy should remember that kohli will probably be the next captain and he and ishant have been buddies way before dhoni and ishant became.
Ishant has currently played 54 tests at an avg of 38+ and sr of 69+.
I cannot think of a worse test bowler for India who has played a 100 tests.

Now talk nah.

On 96 tests

He will get to 100 within an year and will be having 300+ test wickets.

Btw he now averages better than Zaheeeeeeeeeeer Khan! :srt

Ishant Sharma set to play his 100th Test at Sardar Patel Stadium, Motera. Will be the 2nd Indian pacer after Kapil Dev to play 100 Tests. Only 10 pacers have played 100 or more Tests. The only other Indian to play his 100th Test at Motera: Anil Kumble v Sri Lanka in 2005

Since 2014,

Ashwin 290 wickets, AVG 24
Jadeja 187 wickets, AVG 25
Shami 163 wickets, AVG 27
Ishant 153 wickets, AVG 25
Yadav 116 wickets, AVG 30

https://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/stats/index.html?class=1;filter=advanced;orderby=wickets;spanmin3=01+Jan+2014;spanval3=span;team=6;template=results;type=bowling

Last edited:
Team India pacer spearhead Ishant Sharma claims he will give it all in the upcoming Test matches against England to help India qualify for the World Test Championship final. Ishant Sharma recently became the third Indian pacer to claim 300 Test wickets during the first Test match against England.

Ishant has been the leader of the Indian pace attack for the past couple of years as he is just one Test away to become the second India pace bowler to play 100 matches after Kapil Dev. The third India-England Test begins here on February 24.

The veteran India pacer is all charged up for the next game and said WTC is like a World Cup for him.

“At the moment, the next target is to win the next game. I just want to win the next game and [help India] qualify for the Test championship final. As I always say I have only one format to play and this is like World Cup. The World Test Championship is like a World Cup for me. If we reach the final and win this, I think I will have the same feeling like you play the ICC World Cup final or the Champions Trophy,” Sharma told the media on Monday.

Ishant said reaching Kapil Dev’s record of 131 Tests is not on his mind yet and added that playing one format had made it easier to reach the 100-Test mark quickly.

“If you think of it in a positive way, then it gets easier and is better that I performed in one format. You are grateful. This (playing one format) is also why I am playing the 100th Test. But I don’t think that if I had played white-ball cricket, I wouldn’t have played 100 Test matches. I am just 32. Maybe I wouldn’t have done it so quickly, I would have done it later,” said the right-arm fast bowler from Delhi.

Ishant further talked about his recovery regime and said it’s important to keep track of that as you grow older.

“I don’t really think too far ahead, because you never know what comes next. You just think about one game at a time. I have understood my body and what kind of training I need to do. I am more professional regarding my recovery. Earlier, I used to train very hard but I never used to think about my recovery. Now though I know that as you grow older, you have to bowl long spells. You need to look after your recovery. I am looking after myself. I think that is paying off,” he said.

He also expressed regret over not playing the 100th Test in Australia as he was out of the squad after sustaining a side strain during the Indian Premier League 2020.

“I would have loved to go to Australia and complete my 100th Test match. But there are many things that are not in your hand. I couldn’t go to Australia because of that [injury]. The quicker you forget things and move on, the more things become simple in life. This is what I have learnt in my career. Forget everything and move on and don’t think about past. I move on to the next match. And I always focus on the next match,” said the bowler who has been plagued by multiple injuries over the years.

The 32-year-old further talked about the role of a pacer in home Tests and said playing in overseas conditions helped in claiming more wickets.

“I just played too many Test matches outside India that is why I have been able to take these many wickets, because if you don’t bowl in India, how will you take wickets. In India, spinners bowl a lot; fast bowlers’ role is different. Most of the Tests in last two years, we played outside. That is why I bowled a lot and picked wickets. That is what I feel.”

https://www.cricketcountry.com/news...e-a-icc-world-cup-for-me-ishant-sharma-971334

Only three bowlers in the history of Indian cricket have played 100 Test matches. Ishant Sharma will make that four in the third Test against England.

For over a decade Sharma has been the spearhead of India’s fast-bowling attack, producing a level of quality that will only be fully appreciated when he’s no longer around to lead the line.

The 32-year-old has already achieved one milestone during the ongoing England series, passing 300 Test wickets. And on Wednesday he will reach another significant moment in his career, playing in his 100th Test for India, becoming only the second Indian quick to do so, following in the footsteps of the legendary Kapil Dev.

Bowlers with 100 Test appearances for India
Anil Kumble (132)
Kapil Dev (131)
Harbhajan Singh (103)

Sharma burst onto the scene as a teenager with an ability to bowl extremely fast from an awkward height. But, impressively, his record in Test cricket has steadily improved as he has grown older, even when he began to lose that particularly eye-catching pace. And since the start of 2018, Sharma is averaging well under 20 with the ball.

So, what is the secret to his longevity as a Test bowler?

Sharma says it is the pressure he puts on himself to make an impact in every single spell.

“Everyone tells me I am a senior player,” he said in an interview in 2019. “But how do you become a senior? Not by the amount of years you have played. Seniority should be by the amount of wickets you take.

“People will call me senior when I take wickets at a crucial time. That is why I feel every match I play is crucial for me. That is my mindset.”

India's captain Virat Kohli sung the praises of his friend ahead of the third Test in Ahmedabad, revealing he was in fact the person to inform a sleepy Sharma about his first India call-up.

"I have known Ishant for many years now," Kohli said. "He started playing state cricket with me from his first season onwards. We have been roommates for many years in state cricket, in Ranji Trophy cricket. When he first got selected for India, he was fast asleep in the afternoon, and I had to kick him off the bed and say you have been selected. And he wouldn't believe me. That's how far we go back.

"I couldn't be happier for him. Playing 100 Test matches as a fast bowler is no mean feat. Especially in our conditions where things get so difficult. But he persevered, he kept working hard. That's been his essence from day one."

Playing so much of a Test career in Indian conditions was never likely to see Sharma rival the raw statistics of many of the other leading quicks in the game’s history. But a measure of his quality has been the consistent impact he has made overseas. Just shy of two-thirds of his international wickets have come outside of India, and he has excelled in a variety of conditions, producing match-defining spells around the world.

Three such spells spring to mind. Sharma announced to the world that he was a threat in all conditions with a brilliant 6/55 against the West Indies in Bridgetown in 2011. That match ended in a draw, not for Sharma’s lack of trying. And New Zealand also clung on for a draw in Wellington in February 2014 despite his blistering figures of 6/51 in the first innings. But, later that same year, a Sharma spell did steer India to a famous victory, as he dismantled England in the second innings at Lord’s, running through the home side to finish with figures of 7/74.

Sharma continues to excel on the world stage 14 years after his Test debut. And he shows no intention of hanging up his boots any time soon, saying in late 2020 that he intends to continue making himself available for India for as long as "his body allows".

Indian bowlers with 300+ Test wickets
Anil Kumble (619)
Kapil Dev (434)
Harbhajan Singh (417)
Ravichandran Ashwin (394*)
Zaheer Khan (311)
Ishant Sharma (302*)

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">What a journey it has been for <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/IshantSharma?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#IshantSharma</a> . That he is only the 4th Indian bowler ever and only the second Indian fast-bowler to play 100 Test's speaks a lot about his hardwork and toil. Well done lambu ! <a href="https://t.co/WsPIgYLFQK">pic.twitter.com/WsPIgYLFQK</a></p>— Virender Sehwag (@virendersehwag) <a href="https://twitter.com/virendersehwag/status/1364511328652517380?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">February 24, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Bumrah should learn from Ishant how to remain fit and bowl long spells. May be it has something to do with the diet of Mumbai boys( Rohit, Bumrah, Pandya) who keep getting injured and need rest. :inti

Ishant Sharma's test bowling chart.
is-bowl.png

Indians to play 100 Test matches

Sunil Gavaskar (1984)
D Vengsarkar (1988)
Kapil Dev (1989)
Sachin Tendulkar (2002)
Anil Kumble (2005)
Rahul Dravid (2006)
Sourav Ganguly (2007)
VVS Laxman (2008)
Virender Sehwag (2012)
Harbhajan (2013)
Ishant Sharma (2021)*

Indians to play 100 Test matches

Sunil Gavaskar (1984)
D Vengsarkar (1988)
Kapil Dev (1989)
Sachin Tendulkar (2002)
Anil Kumble (2005)
Rahul Dravid (2006)
Sourav Ganguly (2007)
VVS Laxman (2008)
Virender Sehwag (2012)
Harbhajan (2013)
Ishant Sharma (2021)*

Two former captains Azhar and Dhoni didn't make this list inspite of their long career.

Back