Will Manchester City 2022/23 win the treble?

Will Manchester City 2022/23 win the treble?

• No, they will win nothing

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

KingKhanWC

Test Captain
Runs
Manchester City have made it to the Semi-Final of the Champions League!

City are 2nd in the league, 4 points behind 1st with a game in hand.

City are in the FA Cup Semi Final - facing Sheffield United.

Will City win all 3 trophies from here on?
[MENTION=9]Saj[/MENTION] [MENTION=8]MIG[/MENTION] poll please.

My view, City will win the Treble this year. Its one of the greatest teams in club history and certainly in Premier League history!.

If Pep wins the treble, he will surpass Alex Ferguson as the greatest English club manager imo.

I think they will end up winning the treble, but It would be nice to see Arsenal win the League.

But on your point about Pep being better than SAF, I never watched SAF era, but taking a guess, I think most would still have SAF over Pep because of this Financial trouble that was reported about Manchester CIty a few months ago.

I think they will end up winning the treble, but It would be nice to see Arsenal win the League.

But on your point about Pep being better than SAF, I never watched SAF era, but taking a guess, I think most would still have SAF over Pep because of this Financial trouble that was reported about Manchester CIty a few months ago.

I would prefer Arsenal to win it too but in the last two matches, they have shown to be mental midgets. City are strong strong favs now.

Fergie won 13 league titles inc the treble, a legendary manager. Pep is nowhere near this and will not surpass it. But Utd only had one real competitor Arsenal and later Chelsea came around. The Premier League now is on another level and although you didnt watch Fergies Utd, its not even an opinion this City side (in recent years ) has played football on a far superiour level.

The financial issues imo dont mean much when it comes to the football they play. Utd have spent around the same. Chelsea spent more but are struggling.

Pep Guardiola fears Manchester City 'exhaustion' after Champions League progress in Bayern Munich

Pep Guardiola fears his Manchester City side are facing "exhaustion" in their bid to win multiple competitions after reaching the Champions League semi-finals.

City beat Bayern Munich 4-1 on aggregate to set up another Champions League semi-final showdown with Real Madrid.

Guardiola's side are four points behind Arsenal in the Premier League but have a game in hand and they face Sheffield United in the FA Cup semi-finals on Saturday. If City are to reach both major finals to have a chance of the treble, they will have to play another 13 fixtures this season.

"We are exhausted," said Guardiola.

"I don't know how we recover to play against Sheffield United [in the FA Cup semi-final]. Now is a tough moment for the game on Saturday.

"Three years in a row in the semi-finals of the Champions League.

"We struggled in the first half. Upamecano broke all the lines down our left side and we struggled with Coman. We were fortunate before the penalty miss, they had one or two chances and anything could happen but we defended really well.

"The finishing from Erling was really, really good. He is so young. The experience that we have in this competition, the players feel it a lot, they want to do it really well. The second half was much, much better since minute one."

Holding a commanding 3-0 lead from the first leg, City weathered an early storm in Germany before Erling Haaland's composed finish in the 57th minute effectively confirmed his side's place in the last four for a third year in a row.

Guardiola said: "The result of 4-1 doesn't really show what was the two games, from my point of view. I could not expect differently for how good they are - the physicality, the ideas.

"Bayern Munich always impressed me when I lived with them and I am always impressed when I play against them. Since minute one we always felt the game was in much control. What we have done is incredible - three Champions League semi-finals. I think all the clubs around the world had the feeling that if you want to win the competition, you have to beat Real Madrid. Before it was Barcelona, now it's Real Madrid."

Guardiola's only other concern will be the seriousness of a suspected hamstring injury to defender Nathan Ake, who had to be withdrawn in the second half.

Ake told Sky Sports News after the game: "I've had it before and it feels a little bit less to be honest, but you never know with these things, so we will do the ultrasounds and stuff tomorrow and then hopefully it's not too bad."

https://www.skysports.com/football/...er-champions-league-progress-in-bayern-munich

Thanks .

What is your view? Can City do it?

They very much can and no one should really be surprised if they do, but I wouldn't say it's a sure thing. IMO the league is far from over, even if they are favourites.

Also, their frequent UCL chokes in recent times means you can never tip them to be favourites even if they have the best team and manager.

They were far superior to that Chelsea side in 2021, and we all saw how they bottled at the Bernabeu last year. They bottled vs Spurs in 2019 in the same year that they hit 98 points in the league. Haaland could very well change that, but generally it's still a lot of the same players and manager.

If I had to predict right now, I'd say league-cup double but no UCL.

Pep surpassing Sir Alex as the greatest English manager lol. :)))

Fergie won 13 league titles in 20 years in the premier league. In fact, he never finished below 3rd in 20 years from 1993-2013. You can talk about Arsenal being Man United's only competitor, but other than Arsenal this season, Man City haven't had any other competitors for the title except for Liverpool. And unlike the fake Liverpool - Man City rivalry, Arsenal vs Man United in the late 90s and early 2000s was a proper rivalry. There was genuine bad blood between the two clubs, none of this hugging nonsense that we have seen from Pep and Klopp.

And yes, I can admit that Pep's City have played football at a higher level than Man United ever did in Fergie's era. But that is called Evolution of the sport. In 20 years time, some team will play football better than Pep's city side. This argument is a silly one. You shouldn't compare different eras.

Pep surpassing Sir Alex as the greatest English manager lol. :)))

Fergie won 13 league titles in 20 years in the premier league. In fact, he never finished below 3rd in 20 years from 1993-2013. You can talk about Arsenal being Man United's only competitor, but other than Arsenal this season, Man City haven't had any other competitors for the title except for Liverpool. And unlike the fake Liverpool - Man City rivalry, Arsenal vs Man United in the late 90s and early 2000s was a proper rivalry. There was genuine bad blood between the two clubs, none of this hugging nonsense that we have seen from Pep and Klopp.

And yes, I can admit that Pep's City have played football at a higher level than Man United ever did in Fergie's era. But that is called Evolution of the sport. In 20 years time, some team will play football better than Pep's city side. This argument is a silly one. You shouldn't compare different eras.

If Pep managed City for 20 years, he'd have 13 or more titles too. Longevity isn't the best method to decide.

Pep has a far superior win ratio over Fergie.

Pep needs to win the CL and the treble though as Fergie did. If so and managing in a far more competitive league now, along with the style of the football he will be the GOAT manager imo. You are entitled to yours. :)

3-0 against Sheffield Utd.

Like a walk in the park.

Class team.

City will win the PL

If City get past Real in the Semi finals they will smash which ever Milan team gets there

FA Cup i think they would beat Brighton in final, united though may some how beat them as have tendency to win derby games when they are the underdogs

Toughest hurdle for City is the CL semi final.

If Pep managed City for 20 years, he'd have 13 or more titles too. Longevity isn't the best method to decide.

Pep needs to win the CL and the treble though as Fergie did. If so and managing in a far more competitive league now, along with the style of the football he will be the GOAT manager imo. You are entitled to yours. :)

Sir Alex won the scottish league 3 times with Aberdeen in a league dominated by Rangers and celtic. Add to that he won a european trophy with Aberdeen as well.

Do you think Pep could take a small team and do that?

i understand the pros and cons of Pep vs Fergie otherwise.

Of course someone who reps Klopp wouldn't value longevity. Klopp left Dortmund in a mess and it looks like he is doing the same at Liverpool.

Pep has a higher win ratio because he has only ever managed the best and richest teams in the countries that he has managed.

On the other hand, Sir Alex took over Man United when we are struggling and hadn't won a title in 20 years. We even got relegated in the 70s. He rebuilt Man United and took us back to the top. Before coming to Man United, he managed Aberdeen where he won three league titles in a league that is historically dominated by Rangers and Celtic. He even won a European trophy with Aberdeen beating Real Madrid in the final, something your team Liverpool couldn't do.

No wonder, Pep has a higher win ratio than Fergie. Tell Pep to manage a team that isn't a top team and turn them into a top team. That is why I rate managers like Mourinho higher than Pep. Imagine Pep winning the champions league with Porto and Inter Milan.

Manchester City's Treble bid is well and truly on.

Pep Guardiola's side are potentially now as few as 12 games away from a remarkable Premier League, Champions League and FA Cup triple and become just the second English team to achieve the feat.

Riyad Mahrez's hat-trick was more than enough to power them past Sheffield United at Wembley on Saturday and into the FA Cup final, ending their streak of three successive semi-final defeats in the competition.

They host Premier League leaders Arsenal on Wednesday - trailing by five points but with two games in hand - and have a Champions League semi-final against Real Madrid on the horizon.

Guardiola has been quick to dismiss any talk of the Treble - again calling it "far away" after the Wembley semi-final - but going into the climax to the season on a 16-match unbeaten run in all competitions, it feels increasingly likely they will get very close to landing it.

And even he admits the whole club has the right mentality to win trophies.

"Fighting for the titles, being there every year, means the mentality of the club - not just the players - is there," the Spaniard said.

Former Everton midfielder Leon Osman told BBC Radio 5 Live: "The whole of Europe is wowed by what Manchester City are doing and how they're playing."

Ex-Manchester United and England defender Gary Neville believes the Treble is "definitely on".

Ask Guardiola about the prospect of the Treble, though, and you will get short shrift.

"I'll talk to you about it after we have won the FA Cup and Premier League," he said.

"Before the final of the Champions League we will start to talk of the Treble. Look how far away it is. We are far, far away. How many times in this amazing country have Trebles been done? How many years? How many teams?

"It is one. Once. Our neighbours did it in how many centuries? Am I excited about the Treble? Not at all."

He has not got an easy job silencing the growing talk around it though - especially after Mahrez's show-stealing semi-final display demonstrated once again the strength in depth at Guardiola's disposal.

Guardiola made six changes from the side that progressed past Bayern Munich in the Champions League in midweek but, after Mahrez's opening penalty eased any nerves, City cruised into their first FA Cup final since 2019.

Mahrez, who became the first City player to score a Wembley hat-trick and is the first scorer of a semi-final treble since 1958, said: "We really want to work hard in every competition going.

"We're in the final of the FA Cup, which is amazing. Now we have to concentrate on the league and the next game against Arsenal.

"We have a very good squad and a very good team. We have to keep going."

Manchester City will face the winners of Brighton against Manchester United at Wembley in early June and are considered favourites to defend their Premier League title after Arsenal's recent wobble.

Roy Keane, who won the Treble with Manchester United in 1998-99, told ITV: "They are peaking at a great time and look in great shape to win the big trophies.

"They have a few hurdles to get over, in particular Real Madrid. They are red-hot favourites for the league and cup but the big hurdle is Real Madrid."

Osman added on 5 live: "Manchester City have made another step towards that Treble. It's on, they're marching along really well, they're full of confidence. They're really winning games at a canter at times. Bring on the big ones to come.

"Not many teams are able to keep up, only a few in the Premier League and one or two in the pinnacle of European football."

How rare is a Treble?

Manchester City's Premier League title win in 2019 earned them a historic domestic treble, as they became the first English men's team to win the top-flight league as well as both cups.

But, while a hugely impressive achievement, winning the league title, FA Cup and European Cup is considered by many to be the holy grail.

Guardiola's men are only 12 games away from becoming the 10th European side to sweep the board - with the chance of joining Manchester United as the only English side to do it.

Jurgen Klopp's Liverpool had dreams of a quadruple last season - to match Celtic's unmatched achievement in 1967 - but ultimately had to settle for a domestic cup double.

Liverpool fans will rightly remind people of their two trebles; winning the FA Cup, League Cup and Uefa Cup in 2001, and the European Cup, League Cup and First Division title in 1984 - making it just four trebles of various make-ups in the history of English men's football.

A look at the record books shows winning even two trophies is rarely achieved.

In 2019 City became the first men's team to win the FA Cup and the Premier League in the same season since Chelsea did it in 2009-10 and only the eighth club in history to do so.

Only Liverpool and Manchester United - who have both done it twice - have won the European Cup and league double in England.

Manchester City have won nine major trophies since Guardiola took charge in 2016. Will they make it 12 in seven seasons? You wouldn't rule it out.

BBC

City will win the UCL and the FA Cup but Arsenal will beat them to the Premier League title.

Man Utd the opponents in the FA Cup final.

The first time the Manchester giants will face each other in the FA Cup Final.

Should be a cracker!

Sir Alex won the scottish league 3 times with Aberdeen in a league dominated by Rangers and celtic. Add to that he won a european trophy with Aberdeen as well.

Do you think Pep could take a small team and do that?

i understand the pros and cons of Pep vs Fergie otherwise.

Aberdeen were the 3rd best in general around that time. If Pep went to Athletic Madrid, I'm sure he could win the La Liga.

Of course someone who reps Klopp wouldn't value longevity. Klopp left Dortmund in a mess and it looks like he is doing the same at Liverpool.

Pep has a higher win ratio because he has only ever managed the best and richest teams in the countries that he has managed.

On the other hand, Sir Alex took over Man United when we are struggling and hadn't won a title in 20 years. We even got relegated in the 70s. He rebuilt Man United and took us back to the top. Before coming to Man United, he managed Aberdeen where he won three league titles in a league that is historically dominated by Rangers and Celtic. He even won a European trophy with Aberdeen beating Real Madrid in the final, something your team Liverpool couldn't do.

No wonder, Pep has a higher win ratio than Fergie. Tell Pep to manage a team that isn't a top team and turn them into a top team. That is why I rate managers like Mourinho higher than Pep. Imagine Pep winning the champions league with Porto and Inter Milan.

Liverpool beat Real Madrid in the European Cup final in 1981, at least know your history if you want to make a point. Ive not mentioned Klopp in this debate.

No Pep has a higher win ratio because his team has won many more matches.

The early Premier League had little competition compared to know. Most clubs were in some sort of disarray but Pep with better competition wins the league with huge points.

Utd fans like yourself wont agree even if Pep goes on to win 3 CLs and another 3 leagues.

But imo if Pep wins the treble he will be the greatest PL manger in history with his City team being the best team all round in English history.

I think the CL is the one that will evade them

They will be the better side for majority of the tie against Real (like they were last season) but Benzema and Co will get the job done

Frightening team. On a totally different level to anybody in the world.
[MENTION=116]Geordie Ahmed[/MENTION] they will dismantle Real.

Real Madrid are something else in the CL, they have a know how and presence that no other team has

I do expect City to be the better side overall but the mentality of Real will get them through the tie

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">&#55357;&#56803;️ "The reality today: we are two points behind."<br><br>Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola plays down the importance of his side's two games-in-hand in the Premier League ⚽⬇️ <a href="https://t.co/EpIChSnA6d">pic.twitter.com/EpIChSnA6d</a></p>— Sky Sports News (@SkySportsNews) <a href="https://twitter.com/SkySportsNews/status/1652588351684263937?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 30, 2023</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Only Real Madrid can attempt to stop them now

League looks like it could be done and dusted now, but Real Madrid are different class to the teams City come up against in the Premier League.

Real won't stop City, doesn't mean City will automatically win the treble as anything can happen in a one off game like a final.

If I had to predict right now, I'd say league-cup double but no UCL.

Sticking with this. They will find a way to lose the CL despite being clear favourites, just like in 2021.

Real are different class in the Champions League, their players are well versed over recent years.

However City will create a lot of chances to score and City are clinical.

Should be a great watch but imo City will just get over the line.

And that's the lead against West Ham after a dull first half.

At the moment back on top of the Premier League.

Walk in the park in the end. When you create so many chances, the goal will come sooner or later for City.

City clean sheet is also important. To win the treble they will need to keep it tight regardless of opponent.

Erling Haaland insists he would swap all 51 goals he has scored during a record-breaking debut season with Manchester City in exchange for winning the treble.

Real Madrid are something else in the CL, they have a know how and presence that no other team has

I do expect City to be the better side overall but the mentality of Real will get them through the tie

It's on, battle of the heavy weights.

Stalemate in Madrid. Onto the Etihad.

I think City at home will go through, but stumble in the final.

Stalemate in Madrid. Onto the Etihad.

I think City at home will go through, but stumble in the final.

If City get to the final they will smash either Milan side, both are very mediocre sides.

Great result yesterday for City.

To go there and get a score draw was brilliant.

Got to fancy City to win the second leg - should be a cracking match.

Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola says the second leg of his side's Champions League semi-final against Real Madrid will be like "a final" after their 1-1 draw at the Bernabeu.

Pep Guardiola 'can't understand' scheduling of Man City fixtures

Pep Guardiola says he does not "understand" the scheduling of Manchester City's fixtures - but is beyond fighting against it.

Premier League leaders City face Everton at Goodison Park on Sunday, little more than 72 hours before they take on Real Madrid in the second leg of their Champions League semi-final.

Real are in La Liga action against Getafe on Saturday and therefore have an extra day's rest.

"It is what it is," said Guardiola.

He said one of the issues that meant their trip to Everton was being played on Sunday was that Liverpool is hosting the Eurovision Song Contest on Saturday.

The Spaniard added: "In the end, we can't play Saturday because of Eurovision or something like that in Liverpool and we don't have enough bodies to handle two important events sometimes.

"I can't understand it but I'm not going to fight it any more.

"OK, you have to adapt. What can I do? We'd prefer to play Saturday to be able to prepare but it is what it is.

"I'm pretty sure the Premier League want to help the teams. I don't think they make it uncomfortable."

Sunday's trip to Merseyside is a crucial match at both ends of the Premier League, with City looking to maintain their lead over Arsenal at the top and 17th-placed Everton battling to avoid relegation.

City drew 1-1 with Real in the first leg of their semi-final on Tuesday and while a place in the Champions League final is at stake next week, Guardiola says the focus is firmly on facing Sean Dyche's Toffees.

"My thought is just Everton - no more than that," he said.

"It's 11 months working for the Premier League. We don't have much time to [prepare for] Madrid because we play Sunday - thank you so much - but it's a real, real priority, Goodison Park."

After Everton, City's last league fixtures will see them take on Chelsea at home and Brighton away before ending the season at their west London neighbours Brentford.

Though City have a game in hand, Arsenal are just one point behind Guardiola's side at the top of the table.

Guardiola believes the Gunners will "definitely" win their remaining matches - against Brighton, Nottingham Forest and Wolves - but the City boss is adamant his team must not rely on others' results.

"There are four games left in the Premier League and it's really important to be there and keep our destiny in our hands," he said.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65574046

Real are only team standing in way of City and a treble now.

City will win their 3rd PL league title in a row and will dispatch united in FA Cup final.

Real are only team standing in way of City and a treble now.

City will win their 3rd PL league title in a row and will dispatch united in FA Cup final.

Benzema is a doubt for the return leg in Manchester.

Real are a magical team at times but imo City will win in comfortable fashion at home, they are just too clinical at home atm.

A little lame start today but easy win in the end against a battling team.

Well on their way - and I hope they do as they are a great side.

I would love for them to do it, firstly as I'm a big fan of Pep and secondly it would annoy Man-U fans

The Real fixture is their biggest obstacle to doing the treble, even though anything can happen in a final you'd expect them to beat Inter (or Milan if they manage to turn it around) and Man-U

I still think they'll come up short against Real Madrid, not because Real Madrid are a better side than them but due to a combination of the psychological pressure of needing to win a CL and Real Madrid just finding a way. We saw for all they had the ball they barely created a good opportunity, they had to rely on a moment of magic from KDB.

I would love for them to do it, firstly as I'm a big fan of Pep and secondly it would annoy Man-U fans

The Real fixture is their biggest obstacle to doing the treble, even though anything can happen in a final you'd expect them to beat Inter (or Milan if they manage to turn it around) and Man-U

I still think they'll come up short against Real Madrid, not because Real Madrid are a better side than them but due to a combination of the psychological pressure of needing to win a CL and Real Madrid just finding a way. We saw for all they had the ball they barely created a good opportunity, they had to rely on a moment of magic from KDB.

Pressue is the only issue for City tonight imo. If Real score early and keep it tight for another 30 mins ,this will start. Any other scenario and I cant see City losing this tonight. They are a very confident team with goals from all over the pitch.

Huge boost, Karim Benzema is starting.

The midfield is the key for City, 4 + Stones and Rodri behind against an ageing Real Mid.

My prediction.

3-1.

The treble is definitely on.

If they get through, they must fancy their chances against Inter.

A few fingers on the treble now.

The passing into spaces from this City team is so eilte. Real's old midfield cant cope at all. :))

United and Inter stand in the way of the treble.

I think United will be the tougher test.

I hate to say this as a United fan, but Man City are the greatest time to ever play in the premier league. They will comfortably win the treble.

The treble beckons. Spare Man Utd fans the humiliation and post the FA Cup via mail to the Etihad. :)))

Their treble will be tainted in comparison to Man United because they are FFP cheats, but there is no doubt they are breathtaking to watch.

You add the greatest player of all time to this team and they play exactly like Pep’s Barcelona.

City are overwhelming favorites for both finals but if you were to bet, you would put your money on Inter to spring a surprise, albeit the chances are probably close to nil.

They are a comfortably a better team than United and there is also the surprise factor. They haven’t crossed paths in a long time.

City knows United like the back of their hand and know exactly what to expect and what to do to beat them.

If you are a neutral you would hope that United can at least make a game out of it and not bend over from the first minute like Madrid.

Their treble will be tainted in comparison to Man United because they are FFP cheats, but there is no doubt they are breathtaking to watch.

You add the greatest player of all time to this team and they play exactly like Pep’s Barcelona.

Tbf nobody in England really talks of this or care too much. City's lawyers are elite, they will get away with almost all if not all of these charges.

The FA Cup final against Utd is a derby but City are so confident at this moment, they will have little pressure so should walk this too.

Tbf nobody in England really talks of this or care too much. City's lawyers are elite, they will get away with almost all if not all of these charges.

The FA Cup final against Utd is a derby but City are so confident at this moment, they will have little pressure so should walk this too.

City should win both finals with ease and it will be a massive shock if they lose one of them, but Inter probably has a relatively better chance than United because of surprise factor.

United’s chances are extremely grim because not only is City vastly superior, they also know exactly how United will play and what to expect from them.

With regards to Man City’s FFP, no doubt they will come clean legally but deep down everyone knows the truth. You can’t spend the amount of money they have spent without bending the rules. Both Chelsea and City are guilty but I agree that it doesn’t matter to anyone.

City have brought players like Aguero, Silva, De Bruyne, Gundogan, Bernardo, Haaland etc. to the PL. They have raised the level of the competition. These players would probably have gone to Madrid/Barcelona if it wasn’t for City’s financial power.

City should win both finals with ease and it will be a massive shock if they lose one of them, but Inter probably has a relatively better chance than United because of surprise factor.

United’s chances are extremely grim because not only is City vastly superior, they also know exactly how United will play and what to expect from them.

With regards to Man City’s FFP, no doubt they will come clean legally but deep down everyone knows the truth. You can’t spend the amount of money they have spent without bending the rules. Both Chelsea and City are guilty but I agree that it doesn’t matter to anyone.

City have brought players like Aguero, Silva, De Bruyne, Gundogan, Bernardo, Haaland etc. to the PL. They have raised the level of the competition. These players would probably have gone to Madrid/Barcelona if it wasn’t for City’s financial power.

I agree, Inter are a tougher task. Inter and Italian teams in general can park the bus well if need be. They can frustrate City and perhaps grab a goal against the run of play. Inter wont be having more than 35% of the ball, so cant really approach it in any other fashion. Utd with their arrogance will try to be heros, which will cost them dearly. It could end up as the biggest FA cup final defeat in history!

City have helped the PL become the elite league it is now. As an LFC fan , even after losing out to them on a few occasions, I still love to watch City play ball. No sane footie fan wouldnt want to watch City play in any match.

I'm not completely writing of inter either as they were probably the 3rd best Italian side in UCL behind Napoli and AC Milan.

Anything can happen in a one off match at a neutral venue. But after tonight's performance, you would have to say Inter's chances are slim.

This Guardiola City side is less than a month away from cementing their place as the undisputed greatest team in PL history.

About to be 5 titles in 6 years, with a treble sprinkled on top.

Couldn't have been more wrong, I foolishly thought that the prestige combined with a bit of effort would be enough but Real played like a team that thought prestige without effort would be enough

That first half is one of the most one sided halves of football I have ever side, even more staggering when you consider it was the biggest club in the world on the receiving end

I hope they can win the treble but if they don't do it then I hope it's the CL that they get over the line, these players deserve it and Pep deserves it

I'm a huge fan of Pep, going back to what he did for Barca and he's done a remarkable job at City, however his critics use the fact he hasn't won the CL against him and it would be good for that to go (Though no doubt they'll just change the goalposts and find other ways to try and discredit him)

Last night was a big hurdle but they absolutely walked it. Think they will wrap up the treble fairly comfortably now.

City will win PL on Sunday, then they can rest players for last 2 PL games so they are fresh for both finals. Unless Pep does some silly tinkering in final thats only way they will fail.

City are winning league 3 years in a row and the Treble this season.

Julian Alvarez (man city) - could end up winning world cup, PL, FA Cup and CL in space of 12 months

City will win PL on Sunday, then they can rest players for last 2 PL games so they are fresh for both finals. Unless Pep does some silly tinkering in final thats only way they will fail.

City are winning league 3 years in a row and the Treble this season.

Think Rodri, KDB and Haaland are a given. Grealish has cemented his spot in the team and Bernardo Silva and Gundogan have been brilliant of late. Defence is probably a bit more flexible but I think Stones will be a definite starter. Barring injury, these will be the players to feature in the staring 11 for the final.

City have been chokers when it comes to Champions League in the last few years. So won't be surprised if Inter-milan win.

City have been chokers when it comes to Champions League in the last few years. So won't be surprised if Inter-milan win.

City have only got to one final, can't see them losing this one though.

Pep Guardiola: Man City manager hails Premier League as top priority after beating Real Madrid to reach Champions League final

Pep Guardiola believes winning the Premier League is more important than winning the Champions League as his Manchester City side look to reclaim their crown with a victory over Chelsea at the Etihad on Sunday.

Speaking after his side booked their place in the Champions League final with an emphatic 4-0 second-leg win over Real Madrid on Wednesday, Guardiola said: "It's non-stop [playing after the Real Madrid game].

"[But,] the most difficult thing [is coming]. Tennis players say [serving] to win Wimbledon is the most difficult one. On Sunday, the game is in our hands.

"The Premier League is the most important competition, because it's over 10-11 months, every week. We are lucky to finish at home with our people to take it.

"The last one is the most difficult because there are a lot of emotions. We would not forgive ourselves if we became distracted.

"Now, we know, we have three games to win the title. Every game we win helps the next one.

"We cannot forget reality, what happened against (Manchester) United and (Aston) Villa in the past. Football is emotion, in the moment. If we can win at home, we have to do it.

"As a manager, I feel part of something. I never think it belongs to me - I'm part of it. [Success is not possible] without the incredible work from the sporting director, board... [and] the players are the most important thing."

Kevin De Bruyne was spotted shouting back at Guardiola during the faultless win over Madrid, but the City boss was keen to encourage flashes of confrontation between the pair. "I love it...[when] we shout at each other," he added.

"Sometimes, in some games, it's a little bit flat. I like this energy. It's not the first time [he shouts at me], you don't see it: how many times he shouts at me on the training ground.

"This is what we need. After that, he becomes the best."

https://www.skysports.com/football/...g-real-madrid-to-reach-champions-league-final

3421d34b-5cea-4c31-b9b7-846b876ebf2d.jpg

Stand by...

The rest of Premier League champions Manchester City's season looks like this:

24 May: Premier League - Brighton (a)
28 May: Premier League - Brentford (a)
3 June: FA Cup final - Manchester United
10 June: Champions League final - Inter Milan

Two league games to prepare for their shot at the Treble in June.

A few days out from the FA Cup final. Think they will run straight through United.

Whoever lifts the FA Cup on Saturday will have even more to celebrate than usual.

As well as local bragging rights being at stake, Premier League champions Manchester City and League Cup holders Manchester United know the winner of a first major cup final between the two will be celebrating a rare double.

City also have the dream of a Treble, knowing victory against their neighbours would leave them just needing to beat Inter Milan in next Saturday's Champions League final to match a feat achieved by only one other club in English football.

And that team to win a Premier League, FA Cup and European Cup in one season? Yep, Manchester United - and the desire to keep their historic achievement in 1999 to themselves is obvious.

It all makes for some cup final.

'Giving it everything' to stop City's bid for greatness

Pep Guardiola's men are now just two games away from becoming the 10th European side to sweep the board - and it certainly hasn't gone unnoticed among the red half of Manchester.

Even before United's semi-final win against Brighton, former goalkeeper Peter Schmeichel - a key member of that 1999 squad - joked: "That is why it is so important that we now beat Brighton, so we can stop them."

Another member of that side, Gary Neville, told Sky Sports: "Man Utd want the opportunity to take away the Treble."

The question about the importance of 'stopping the Treble' was posed to manager Erik ten Hag several times in the immediate aftermath of their semi-final win.

"We will give everything and, when I say everything, it's everything… the fans can rely on that,'' said the Dutchman. "We want to give that against City. We want to go and give the fans that."

For the United fans, you get the feeling that stopping City is almost as important as their own cup double - having already won the Carabao Cup - with songs often sung around Old Trafford about their proud boast of being England's only Treble winners,

United have been in this position before.

In 1977, they faced a Liverpool side who had won the league and had a European Cup final to follow four days after the FA Cup final. United won 2-1 at Wembley to end Liverpool's Treble hopes. They did go on to beat Borussia Monchengladbach 3-1 in Rome.

Liverpool fans will be quick to remind of their two trebles - the European Cup, League Cup and First Division title in 1984 and FA Cup, League Cup and Uefa Cup triumphs in 2001. In 2019 City became the only English men's team to win a domestic treble of league, FA Cup and League Cup.

But, with just four trebles of various make-ups in the history of English men's football, City know they are on the verge of true greatness.

'Man Utd's pre-eminence is under threat'

BBC Sport's Simon Stone: It is almost certain if Manchester United win the FA Cup final, one of the first songs they will sing after the final whistle will be related to the Treble and the fact they have won it and Manchester City have not.

Nearly half a century on, United fans, who are old enough, still look back with pride on 21 May 1977 when they overcame the odds to beat Liverpool at Wembley to ensure the FA Cup was the final piece of silverware to elude them that season.

As City's success and dominance continues and their trophy cabinet gets bigger, United's pre-eminence is under threat.

They remain the only English club to win the Treble and they want to keep it that way.

How hard is a double?

With all the talk about trebles, it would be easy to forget the 'double' that is also up for grabs for both teams at Wembley on Saturday.

History, though, suggests it is an achievement not to be sniffed at.

In 2019, City became the first side to win the FA Cup and the Premier League in the same season since Chelsea did it in 2009-10 and they are only the eighth club to do so.

Their Carabao Cup triumph over Chelsea in February 2019 meant they became only the fourth club to hold the League Cup and the FA Cup simultaneously - with Liverpool adding their name to that particular roll of honour last season.

The other teams to achieve it are Chelsea (2006-07), Arsenal (1992-93) and Liverpool (2000-01). Manchester United could join that list on Saturday.

And there have been only 10 instances of a side winning the English top flight and League Cup in history.

BBC

Man City’s away record against the ‘top 9’ this season:

🤝 3-3 vs Newcastle United
🤝 1-1 vs Aston Villa
❌ 1-0 vs Liverpool
❌ 2-1 vs Manchester United
❌ 1-0 vs Tottenham
✅ 1-3 vs Arsenal
🤝 1-1 vs Brighton
❌ 1-0 vs Brentford

Just goes to show how Arsenal bottled title, when City away from home in PL weren't great.

But City will win treble from here.

So today is the day when Man City could make it the double...

On paper the 2 toughest trophies in the bag, but don't write-off Inter Milan.

They won't be easy to beat.

Inter will just park the bus, so unless they score 1st I can't see anything then then being smoked 2 or 3 nil by City.

FA Cup final: Pep Guardiola talks treble at last after Man City beat Man Utd thanks to Ilkay Gundogan's double

Pep Guardiola is finally ready to talk about the treble after Manchester City saw off Manchester United with a 2-1 win in the FA Cup final at Wembley.

Two volleys from Ilkay Gundogan, the first of them coming after just 12 seconds, allowed the Premier League champions to complete the domestic double.

With Inter awaiting Manchester City in Istanbul next Saturday, the opportunity is there to match Manchester United's historic feat of 1999.

"Now is the first time we can talk about the treble," Guardiola told the BBC. "Against United, it was special for our city, for our fans. We performed really well. Really, really well. I am so pleased."

Elaborating in the press conference afterwards, Guardiola stressed that his team needs to beat Inter to earn the recognition they deserve.

"We have done incredible, five Premier Leagues, two FA Cups and Carabaos but we have to win the Champions League to be recognised how the team deserves to be. It has been amazing, been fun, but we have to win it.

"We are one game away. I said to the players you have to put the pressure on yourself. To be recognised as something good you have to win Europe."

Gundogan, City's captain, was the hero and Guardiola paid tribute to a player who is out of contract this summer.

"What a season. The skills are there but it is the special mentality. When you have these players who play the game like a friendly game, they handle the pressure like, OK, let's have fun, you are becoming a good, good team. Otherwise, you cannot do it."

There had been a scare for City when Bruno Fernandes equalised from the penalty spot against the run of play, Jack Grealish having been penalised for handball in the box.

"I don't know how it is a penalty," said Grealish afterwards. "I am not even looking at the ball. Anyway, Gundo saved me..."

That winning goal, with his left foot, underlined Gundogan's reputation as a clutch player - his sixth goal in six games at this decisive stage of the season. But it was his first that was a record-breaker - the fastest in an FA Cup final.

"We know how we play and how we want to do the kick-off,," Gundogan explained. "We aimed for that, for Erling and then to attack quick. For the first time this season, we've scored. The ball was placed amazingly for me and I had to hit it. Amazing."

https://www.skysports.com/football/...d-at-wembley-thanks-to-ilkay-gundogans-double

Manchester City are "ready" to pass their last "exam" in the Champions League final against Inter Milan, says midfielder Rodri.

Inter will just park the bus, so unless they score 1st I can't see anything then then being smoked 2 or 3 nil by City.

Its the only tactic which could result in their victory.

Over the last 4/5 years only LFC, Bayern and Madrid could go toe to toe with City.

Inter can frustrate them trying to grab a goal at the other end. Inter can score goals. The problem is City have goals from all over the park and with passers like KDB can unlock a defence in an instant.

The longer Inter stay in the match, the more chance they have.

Done and dusted.

They will go down in history.

What a squad, what a manager.

Done and dusted.

They will go down in history.

What a squad, what a manager.

Well deserved, amazing team and scary thing they will only get better.

They could dominate in Europe for next few years as they are so good and other big teams are rebuilding

Back