Yasir Shah - Performance Watch

ElRaja

ODI Debutant
Runs
looking forward to the young guy bowl today, any young leg spinner always get me interested, saw him once or twice in t20 domestic, had decent control but not a lot of spin.

first impressions, nice direct hit earlier and broke the stump.

ps he might find it tough playing for pakistan if he decides to keep playing for barcelona :p

lets hope hes as talented as his look alike.

i'm not a fan of these threads, look what happened to malik as the thread was created :ibutt

Yes, leg-spinners are a must, especially in Test cricket, as an attacking option, and this lad has been rated highly by Abdul Qadir himself.
Didn't know that he was Junaid Khan's cousin, by the way.

yasirshah1.jpg

junaids cousin, lols, the soul patch is genetic then, :p

Read it back in July here (link)

So canny captain Moore has recruited Yasir Shah, a Pakistani-born leg-spinner who has recently completed a tour of England with his country's development squad.

"The initial contact came through Shelley's Bilal Khalid who mentioned Yasir to Max Joice, and then I got a call about him from Mohammed Shahnawaz at Scholes," said Moore.

"Shah is related to Khalid and is also a cousin of Junaid Khan, who is now at Lancashire.

Yes, leg-spinners are a must, especially in Test cricket, as an attacking option, and this lad has been rated highly by Abdul Qadir himself.
Didn't know that he was Junaid Khan's cousin, by the way.

yasirshah1.jpg

Junaid Khan's cousin :O. He looks like abdul Qadir too.

Looking forward to his bowling today. he would be the key bowler for us today.

great bowler next shane warne even better perhaps great career ahead ...

First international wicket :14: with some fine flight

yasir does well, beat him in the flight, nice ball. lets see if he gives it more air against new batsmen.

Very promising young bowler. Looks to have the essentials (leggie and googly), and is not afraid to flight the ball. Could be better suited to Tests imo, even though it'd be mindless to blood him in the UAE.

Looks to be a bit fierce also :akhtar

Masterji the track is not really supportive for spinners but I think he's getting a bit of purchase.

A few lessons from Shahid bhai Afridi (medium of instruction: Pashto) should help the youngster beauty no end.

nah, it might just be the pitch but very little turn so far, his line hasnt been great either

Disagree completely! Are we watching the same game? He bowls a few loose balls (which you expect from a wrist spinner), but he's been on middle and off more often than not.

maybe its nerves or lack of match practise but his control has been a bit disapointing, considering how flat the pitch is more discipline is required. oh well, lets see how he finishes his spell.

Disagree completely! Are we watching the same game? He bowls a few loose balls (which you expect from a wrist spinner), but he's been on middle and off more often than not.

well my rubbish stream tends to miss the part where the ball lands, so my assesment might have been slightly flawed :sami

A few lessons from Shahid bhai Afridi (medium of instruction: Pashto) should help the youngster beauty no end.
true. And medium of instruction has to be Pashto otherwise the lessons from Afridi will actually hurt Yasir. :afridi

Good debut, but I still fear good players of spin will handle him easily

Lets see, still has time to develop

2/51 off 10 good effort considering dead pitch, and match situation. had a few loose balls at the start but settled in well after chababa got out.

didnt see much variation, maybe one or two googlies and a top spinner. but i think that was his plan.

CricInfo:

Ravi: "Yasir Shah seems to be a true 'kichdi' of Pakistan leg spin. Bit of Salim Malik in the approach to crease, a bit of Afridi in delivering the one that doesn't turn, a wee bit of Abdul Qadir in delivering the one that turns and a bit Mushy in the way he half-abruptly stops after delivering the ball. True 'Chivda'."

Posting after a long time - where have you been?!
Was temporarily away tending to some unfinished pieces of business, an activity known in some circles as temporary retirement. :afridi

However,

Go mai raha raheen e sitam-haaye rozgaar
Lekin tere khayaal se ghaafil naheen raha

Good to be back. :)

Was temporarily away tending to some unfinished pieces of business, an activity known in some circles as temporary retirement. :afridi

However,

Go mai raha raheen e sitam-haaye rozgaar
Lekin tere khayaal se ghaafil naheen raha

Good to be back. :)

As classy as ever! Good to have you back sir.

A decent debut, hopefully will get a go against Sri lanka and bangladesh this year.

Hi, how is Ijaz Butt Saab doing?

He is much more relaxed and enjoying team's victories and performance, looking forwards for his next 3 year period as PCB chief.

Tera kaya baney gaa Afridi?

Misbah, the best captain, Hafeez, the best all rounder, Ajmal the best spinner, Yasir, the best leg spinner, Afridi, who?

Do we need attention seeker back?

What is your problem? I think it's a serious one, nobody's even mentioned Afridi besides the grand total of ONE poster.

Misbah, the best captain, Hafeez, the best all rounder, Ajmal the best spinner, Yasir, the best leg spinner, Afridi, who?

Do we need attention seeker back?

Not really ...

since you are still here.

Overall Yasir Shah has done well.

In the only tour match where both him and Ajmal bowled in the same match he outbowled Ajmal.

Not just based on figures but getting out top order batsmen rather than cheap tail end wickets.

In the only tour match where both him and Ajmal bowled in the same match he outbowled Ajmal.

Not just based on figures but getting out top order batsmen rather than cheap tail end wickets.

yeah, you mention an important thing there, not only were they top order batsmen they were settled too, like sibanda was yesterday.

taibu was also settled, but i dont think yasir had much to do with that dismissal.

should play at least one of the t20s.

Unless you watched the game you can't really say anything about the tour match. I mean you cannot say he out bowled Ajmal unless he was working out the batsmen to get them out. For all you know the batsmen threw their wickets away.

Similarily yesterday, he wasn't working out anyone really. The wickets he got were gifted to him pretty much.

You make your own luck. As one famous sportsman said "the more i practise, the luckier i get"

It is a skill in itself to be able to lull the opposition into a false sense of security

Umar Gul has made a career out of it

You make your own luck. As one famous sportsman said "the more i practise, the luckier i get"

It is a skill in itself to be able to lull the opposition into a false sense of security

Umar Gul has made a career out of it

So you've made him into an Umar Gul after one game.

Cricinfo seem to agree that Yasir Shah has been impressive and deserves to keep Ajmal out

http://www.espncricinfo.com/zimbabwe-v-pakistan-2011/content/story/532524.html?CMP=OTC-RSS

Yes go ahead and read what some Zimbabwean Firdose Moonda has to say. I've seen some poor posts on PakPassion but this one's one of the worst.

Yasir Shah over Saeed Ajmal in any format? You're outta your mind.

So you've made him into an Umar Gul after one game.

Yes go ahead and read what some Zimbabwean Firdose Moonda has to say. I've seen some poor posts on PakPassion but this one's one of the worst.

Yasir Shah over Saeed Ajmal in any format? You're outta your mind.

I would rather give Yasir Shah a go in T20s as it is only zimbabwe...

We want a good attacking leggie and yasir shah was impressive on debut

Zim commentators mentioned how impressive he was.

And his Fielding has been 'sensational'

Great catching by him, not seen much ground fielding yet.

Zim commentators saying having spoke to Waqar he has been effusive in his praise of the young guys in Pak team.

Knew that he was over-active on-field the day when he broke the stumps with a throw. :afridi

Brilliant fielder!

Wow, one of the best catches of the year..

Pommie went mad!

PS. Anyone got a video?

CricInfo
Aizaz Cheema to Jarvis, OUT, I don't think I have ever seen Pakistan field this well. Yasir Shah has taken a dream catch running in from long on. Jarvis tried to nail this length ball from Cheema down the ground but looped it up in the air. Yasir bolted in, dived forward and was at full stretch, and almost on the roll as he took that catch inches above the grass. He seemed to have dived too early and was on the descent when he reached the ball, with his hands under him rather than in front. What a take!

I would rather give Yasir Shah a go in T20s as it is only zimbabwe...

We want a good attacking leggie and yasir shah was impressive on debut

Yes against Zimbabwe but would you say he is a better option than Ajmal already as one particular poster has declared.

oh dear I seem to have upset a member of Saeed Ajmals family

Here is Yasir Shah's girlfriend coming to defend her man's honor, right on cue.

he is nowhere near as good as raza hassan , i really have no clue how qadir recomended him over raza , hardly spins the ball and the only time i saw him in domestic he was smashed for 4 consecutive sixes by mr cowcorner "khalid latif ".
dont see him being a success in international cricket.

hes a young guy, a baby at international level of course hes not be as good as ajmal, even ajmal took time to become as good as ajmal.

a leggie needs confidence and support, sure he seems to have gotten some stick today but its not the end of the world.

ab select hua hai, tau full chance milna chahiye develop hone ka. raza hasan is good, so clearly he has the motivation to work hard and improve if he wants to stick around.

Good competition going forward between Raza Hasan and Yasir Shah in future.

he is nowhere near as good as raza hassan , i really have no clue how qadir recomended him over raza , hardly spins the ball and the only time i saw him in domestic he was smashed for 4 consecutive sixes by mr cowcorner "khalid latif ".
dont see him being a success in international cricket.

Although this would have been a good series for Raza Hassan, I can understand if PCB wants Raza to gain more experience at the domestic level before trying him in international cricket.

Looks a good bowler and amazing fielder and adds something with the bat.

another great catch by yasir :14:

He should be in the squad as 12th man just for his fielding.

another great catch by yasir :14:

He should be in the squad as 12th man just for his fielding.

Lols yeah, really good fielder. But not a good bowler, but he is still new so can get better.

Decent bowler but an Amazing fielder like Insaftak said he should be in the team only for his fielding

Back