Your First Equipment [Bat, Pads, Gloves etc]

Cover Drive

Senior ODI Player
Runs
When I started playing cricket in 2009 I did not have any equipment and at that time I knew nothing literally nothing about bats, pads, gloves etc. So I called my Uncle in Pakistan who have played First Class decades ago in Gujranwala [when there used to be cricket there] so he sent me following stuff;

- Pakistan Masuri Helmet
- AM 2Good Batting Pads and Batting Gloves
- Plain Pakistani Bat with 'Babber Sher' stickers
- Youth/Boys Size Thigh Pad and Elbow Guard
- Youth/Boys size brief and a box

I was in deep love with Gray Nicolls brand at that time because I like Mohammad Yousuf and since he was sponsored by them I wanted Gray Nicolls as well so I sold above kit [except bat, thigh guard and elbow guard] and added more from my pocket and got following [in July 2009];

- Gray Nicolls Powerbow 3 Star Bat, Batting Pads and Batting Gloves.
- Yonker Helmet

01112009149.jpg

I still remember the first game I played I went at number 11 and used clubs/teammates gear [BDM pads, random companies gloves and SS Kashmiri Willow bat].

So I played with the above Gray Nicolls kit for a while then got CA 12000 Plus Pads from Pakistan [Mom brought along herself in September 2009]. After getting those pads and gloves I got CA 12000 Plus bat in November 2009 then bought MB Malik Bubber Sher for brother in December 2009 and then bought Gray Nicolls Nitro 5 Star pads [in February 2010][sold Powerbow 3 Star pads and gloves] and then journey goes on and on.

This was my kit on 29 November 2009

29112009307.jpg

**That Bubber Sher and Sher Amin was my club mates, not mine**

This was

Just thought I'd share this.

So how about you guys? How did you guys start and what did you guys start with?

Last edited:
OH the Yonker helmets used one for 4 years, wasn't too bad aswell
My first kit,
Kookaburra kahuna magic pads
county lethal gloves
yonker helmet
slazenger v900 fury(i think) or kahuna magic

I used to be a fast bowler, so I didn't need lot of stuff ... not even spikes, just normal running shoes. After dislocating my shoulder (twice) in squash I stopped bowling fast and became batsman. I didn't have my own kit for long long time ... I always used team's kit (I wanted to justify getting my own kit first). Finally I got a plain bat from Lahore; but still used team's kit. That bat is no more with me, I gifted it to a friend, he actually fell in love with it.

It took me quite a lot of time to actually convince myself that I need my own kit; which again I bought in bits and pieces & over the years :D

LOL till today I have never ever played or practiced in proper cricket shoes, I got spikes now so InshAllah from now I will use them. Before I used trainers or regular running shoes.

Gray Nicolis bats are always good when playing against Fast bowling, its also my faovourite bat aswell. It's edges from the side are good, you don't tend to edge the ball with the bat. But i can't play spin with it

Gray Nicolis bats are always good when playing against Fast bowling, its also my faovourite bat aswell. It's edges from the side are good, you don't tend to edge the ball with the bat. But i can't play spin with it

Heard this for the first time really.

Hydos used fusion for many years don't think he used predator but symonds used a predator

My first bat was a BDM admiral jumbo kashmir willow. It was bought around 1996 world cup when India,pakistan and Srilanka were hosts. It was very heavy. Pads and glove were BDM ambassador and Sg super club. I still remember the excitement of going to the sports shop for it, the smell and sight of leathered gloves,pads and the bats is something I would never forget. I progressed to english willow within couple of years and got a GM as a gift. It felt absolutely light and I remember playing endless shadow shots pretending to be Rahul dravid (I play nowhere similar to him! ). It was sadly stolen during a tournament :( .

I had a Kookaburra Swordfighter back in the day, classic bat :don

Back