“When you play 170 balls and don’t score much, the pressure obviously gets to the team" : Inzamam

Abdul

ODI Debutant
Runs
“When you play 170 balls and don’t score much, the pressure obviously gets to the team" : Inzamam

Our batsmen have paid the price for their defensive approach: Inzamam

KARACHI: Former captain and current chief selector Inzamam-ul-Haq said on Saturday that the Pakistan batsmen should have played with a positive approach in the second innings of the ongoing first Test against New Zealand at Christchurch instead of blocking everything which has not really paid off.

He stated that while the bowlers had brought back the team into contention, batsmen’s negative appr*oach has put the team in a precarious position. Openers Azhar Ali and Sami Aslam put up a 21-run opening stand in 21 overs which was extr*emely defensive cricket from the two players. Sami made a 57-ball seven while Azhar took it to another level as he consumed as many as 173 balls for his lacklusture 31.

“When you play 170 balls and don’t score much, the pressure obviously gets to the team,” said Inzamam while talking to Dawn at the National Stadium in Karachi.

“I’m saying this as an ex-cricketer as I was in a similar position several times but got out by playing positively. I think the players needlessly went into a shell and played too many dot balls.

“However, I’m hopeful that the team will do well as the tour progresses. Pakistan did well in England and this team has showed the spirit of staging a comeback.”

He also claimed that the track record of Pakistan outside Asia is better than the rest of the continental teams including India and Sri Lanka. “If you look at the history of Asian teams outside the continent, Pakistan have been the best Asian team as we have registered many victories in away tours.”

The selection committee has been under the pump for fast-tracking of Mohammad Nawaz and youngster Babar Azam into the Test side despite the latter scoring back-to-back centuries against West Indies in the three-match ODI series.

Several top performers of first-class cricket — Naeemuddin, Usman Salahuddin, Asif Zakir, Akbar-ur-Rehman — have been overlooked despite consistent showing whereas Babar have been given a run.

“As far as Babar is concerned, the team management feels that he can do well at number three in Tests as well after his exploits in ODIs thus he is being backed. He is future of Pakistan cricket and we’re investing in him,” the 46-year-old expressed.

When inquired about why Asad Shafiq was demoted so quickly at a time when he alongwith Azhar are being considered as replacements of Younis and Misbah at three and four, Inzamam said that Asad has a long career ahead of him and he will certainly be given a long run at number three in the future.

http://www.dawn.com/news/1297380/ou...he-price-for-their-defensive-approach-inzamam

Babar should first improve his FC record, before making it into the Test squad at number 3. We should call up Fawad Alam for the Australia tour. Babar Azam should open for the time being, while Fakhar Zaman should be called up to replace Sami Aslam.

Sohaib Maqsood should be selected for Australia tour.

His batting is full of technicial flaws. He has become a leg side hack these days. Plenty of better options avaliable then him. Was very promising at the start though.

His batting is full of technicial flaws. He has become a leg side hack these days. Plenty of better options avaliable then him. Was very promising at the start though.

Oh I see..... but he looked promising so how did he become a leg side hack ?

Oh I see..... but he looked promising so how did he become a leg side hack ?

Watch him bat next you get an oppurtunity. He swats everything to the leg side these days(the last time i saw him bat). Might have improved but don't know. Looked very talented but now looks horrible to watch these days. I hope he improves and learns to play the ball along the ground.

Where has Maqsood disappeared, he batted well in a few ODI's..... He could have been next Inzi ( look wise as well)

He tried to become the next Afridi and quite rightfully was dropped, say that as a big fan too. Guy would just slog on his first ball.

-

Azhar will always bat negative, he's just a negative batsman.
Goldenboy Shafiq needs to be at 3/4/5 and NOT 6
Sami is new into the test side, let him keep going on, he's only going to learn, (don't expect much from him in Australia)
Umar Akmal would suit these conditions, but no chance he returns.
Don't expect anything from Alam but it's a great time to bring him back if you dislike him, throw him to the wolves (australia) and when he fails, never select him again.

Younis will do his usual, play good in the 3rd test match and failing and losing us the games in the rest.

Babar should first improve his FC record, before making it into the Test squad at number 3. We should call up Fawad Alam for the Australia tour. Babar Azam should open for the time being, while Fakhar Zaman should be called up to replace Sami Aslam.
Fakhar Zaman feats off spinners. Why the urgency to drop Sami? He's been excelling considering his age and experience levels.

When scoring opportunities are available then a batsman whatever the format should go for that opportunity.

The likes of Azhar Ali got into a negative mentality and that meant that even when chances came to hit loose balls for four, they missed out.

Inzy bhai should first tell us what is Nawaz doing in the squad instead of a middle order batsman, and what the heck is Sharjeel even there for? Is he a Test Match bat?

Haseeb hameed got lauded for the same mentality today which is abit ironic as ultimately England will probably lose too

I can't believe inzi is being a populist now with his scapegoats and saying what the thrill a minute fans want to hear

Haseeb hameed got lauded for the same mentality today which is abit ironic as ultimately England will probably lose too

I can't believe inzi is being a populist now with his scapegoats and saying what the thrill a minute fans want to hear

England have embarked on a blockathon because they have to save the match. It's a different situation altogether. They will still probably lose but it's the only way to bat in a situation like that.

Our approach in the second innings was dreadful, and not comparable to what England did today.

Inzy bhai should first tell us what is Nawaz doing in the squad instead of a middle order batsman, and what the heck is Sharjeel even there for? Is he a Test Match bat?

And misbah bhai should tell us why he played his friends such as zulfi, hafeez, mohammed salman, etc when there were way better options avaliable then them.

Different matches, different conditions. Haseeb Hameed was batting to save a test in the fourth innings in front of a mountain of unachievable runs.

Azhar was batting for himself rather than the team. It was the third innings of the test and Pakistan was in a position to impose a big lead and possibly win the match. Azhar was either too timid or incapable to play at a higher SR, resulting in him being a complete dud at the crease.

Azhar is the PRIME reason we lost this match.

England have embarked on a blockathon because they have to save the match. It's a different situation altogether. They will still probably lose but it's the only way to bat in a situation like that.

Our approach in the second innings was dreadful, and not comparable to what England did today.

I hear what you're saying
England have now got to that point where only a completely blockathon will put things right

While Pakistan are number 2 in test cricket and should show more flair to try and get their brand across and try and get more sponsors etc

I do get what you mean but I don't think there's anything wrong with that approach
Shafiq's slog didn't help when Pakistan desperately needed some late order runs and yasir had given Asad strike for the last ball of the over
I'm sure Sharjeel Khan will show everyone how to play cricket in the next match

Different matches, different conditions. Haseeb Hameed was batting to save a test in the fourth innings in front of a mountain of unachievable runs.

Azhar was batting for himself rather than the team. It was the third innings of the test and Pakistan was in a position to impose a big lead and possibly win the match. Azhar was either too timid or incapable to play at a higher SR, resulting in him being a complete dud at the crease.

Azhar is the PRIME reason we lost this match.

I'm not an azhar Ali fan especially as one day captain but to blame him when Pakistan have collapsed in such conditions whenever they go to Australia for staying at the crease is a joke
If he got out trying to force the game in a situation which isn't his natural game would you be more pleased about it, I sincerely doubt it

And no I don't care if he's captain in the next game or if the captaincy goes to zulfiqhar Babar

Agree.

First innnings was forgivable, losing the toss in difficult conditions meant that team was always going to struggle - perhaps 200 was achievable at most.

But 2nd innings was just plain simply awful batting and poor planning. I have no idea what they were trying to achieve with their blockathon other than boring the hell out of the fans or maybe the NZ bowlers that might lobbing them half volleys or half trackers to hit.

Honestly they deserved to lose for such a cowardly approach. I hope they have had a long meeting and reflected on this dreadful strategy.

I hear what you're saying
England have now got to that point where only a completely blockathon will put things right

While Pakistan are number 2 in test cricket and should show more flair to try and get their brand across and try and get more sponsors etc

I do get what you mean but I don't think there's anything wrong with that approach
Shafiq's slog didn't help when Pakistan desperately needed some late order runs and yasir had given Asad strike for the last ball of the over
I'm sure Sharjeel Khan will show everyone how to play cricket in the next match

You are only looking at extremes. No one is implying that the batsmen should have slogged or Sharjeel will show us how to play Test cricket, but what Azhar did was totally unacceptable.

You cannot bat at SR of 17 for over 170 deliveries in a situation like that. Anyone quality player would have at the very least ended with a SR of 40 after facing so many deliveries.

Pakistan simply could not get any momentum in the innings and were going nowhere, even though for the first 40 overs we lost 1 wicket and got through the new ball unscathed.

We had the opportunity to push on and carry the attack back to NZ but you need guts for it, and we don't have them.

Cowardly cricket will take you nowhere. That doesn't mean that you should play reckless cricket, but at least play smart cricket and we played chicken-hearted cricket which allowed NZ to walk over us.

You are only looking at extremes. No one is implying that the batsmen should have slogged or Sharjeel will show us how to play Test cricket, but what Azhar did was totally unacceptable.

You cannot bat at SR of 17 for over 170 deliveries in a situation like that. Anyone quality player would have at the very least ended with a SR of 40 after facing so many deliveries.

Pakistan simply could not get any momentum in the innings and were going nowhere, even though for the first 40 overs we lost 1 wicket and got through the new ball unscathed.

We had the opportunity to push on and carry the attack back to NZ but you need guts for it, and we don't have them.

Cowardly cricket will take you nowhere. That doesn't mean that you should play reckless cricket, but at least play smart cricket and we played chicken-hearted cricket which allowed NZ to walk over us.

I agree with you mamoon I really do

At the end of the day we both want what's best for Pakistani cricket and the divisions in the team which will get worse once misbah retires will take ages to heal

I hope azhar takes the constructive criticism on board and improves next time he's out there

It was a poor approach from our lot and a good learning experience. Inzamam speaking words of wisdom and hopefully, the batsmen listen to him and adjust their approach from here on out.

It was a poor approach from our lot and a good learning experience. Inzamam speaking words of wisdom and hopefully, the batsmen listen to him and adjust their approach from here on out.

not sure if they'll take it as a learning experience

Pakistan have consistently batted like this, in both ODIs and Tests. Although this last innings was probably one of the worsts

Good on inzi for poiting this out to everyone. First innings was a struggle and everyone could be forgiven butbthe second one the vc was just looking tobget a 50 fot himself to hell with the team

I've been saying this for ages. Don't know why we bat so slowly with the intention to block all day. Azhar Ali in particular is most guilty off this. Need to score at least 3 or 4 an over to put pressure on the opposition. The purpose of the game is to score runs.

:facepalm::facepalm:

England need to bat defensively and save the test, they can't win their match. Pakistan had to set NZ a target, the game was Pakistans for the taking after they bowled NZ out for 200.

Azhar Ali is the reason test cricket should die. Seriously, who wants to see such batting?

Had he even scored at 50 SR, Pakistan would have won the match.

Even an SR of 30 would have been enough

If you're facing 150+ balls you need to have scored at least a 50

Complete nonsense from Inzamam.

Sami Aslam and Azhar Ali did their job and ensured that the middle order didn't have to face the shiny ball.

Only for Younis and Misbah to give away their wickets to short pitched bowling, which is not just unprofessional, it's negligent given that Wahab could bowl the same way in the nets and prepare them.

It's a test match Inzamam, there is no need to panic, rubbish comment from the big man.

Sami Aslam and Azhar Ali did their job and ensured that the middle order didn't have to face the shiny ball.

Only for Younis and Misbah to give away their wickets to short pitched bowling, which is not just unprofessional, it's negligent given that Wahab could bowl the same way in the nets and prepare them.

You don't win test matches by just staying at the crease, especially not when there are 2 more days of play left. Some amount of intent needs to be shown to at least put away the bad balls and rotate strike. When you score 15 off 140 balls it brings the whole innings to a stand still and heaps pressure on others who follow, that's what Inzi is saying. This approach has worked for Pakistan in the UAE though.

Cricket is a funny game - to go from a triple hundred to 31(173) in the space of a few months.

It wasn't a great innings but blaming Ali for the loss is harsh - the middle order let Pakistan down.

Although part of the blame lies with Azhar, but are we really setting the precedent of throwing our players under the bus and that too coming from right at the top of the chief selectors ?? :facepalm:

Media outlets bashing the players is natural and normal under the circumstance but the Chief Selector coming and identifying THE CAUSE of team failure #smh

This is the sole reason why I don't want ex cricketers to be anywhere near the PCB or Pakistan Cricket Administration !! All their life they have never worked in a professional setup and to expect them to show the latter trait right now is just setting up oneself for disappointment.

Hire them for coaches, camps etc etc but leave the administration and proper cricketing stuff to people who actually know how to hold an office !!!!

I think it was a complete failure so singling out Azhar is not right, I think this type of strategy are decided in team meetings , so blame should be taken by management.
Last if Azhar is opening then why Pak is playing with 3+1 combination, play 4seamers and 1 spinner, with Wahab Sohail and Amir can contribute as batsman.

No. If they had batted normally, they would have had 160 overs to bat to score 405.

Neither batting 160/170 overs or scoring 405 was very likely, but scoring the runs is MUCH more likely than surviving blocking.

This just doesn't happen, especially in India against world-class spinners.

It's just absurd watching Duckett and Stokes being told to score 10 (190) when there was a chance to win if they had played properly from the start.

I think Inzi bhai reacting immaturely here. Azhar was the only one staying at the crease. Others were just coming and going. So blaming your best barsman of the day is too harsh.
Can Inzi bhai tell me what others have done while Azhar was still there at the crease ?

Cricket is a funny game - to go from a triple hundred to 31(173) in the space of a few months.

That was against WI in UAE with pink ball on flat track. This was green track against NZ in NZ. Huge difference.

It wasn't a great innings but blaming Ali for the loss is harsh - the middle order let Pakistan down.

THere is nothing funny here. teams barely crossed 200 runs and the test match ended in 2.5 days.
Even a 70 odd runs here would have been equal to 150 on a flat road.

Inzi is pretty much spot on.

Pakistan played with a defeatist mindset with the bat in both the innings and faced the inevitable result despite the bowlers pulling through and getting them back in the game by only letting NZ get a lead of 67 where it could have been well over that.

They then again came out to bat with the same mindset to block everything and not score and resulting in a thumping loss.

Mickey should have clearly made it clear to them after the first innings debacle to look to score and try and get past the 67 lead NZ got and look to get a good lead to have a chance to bowl at them with.

Our bowlers defending 104 last innings looked lacklustred, tired and all the players looked lethargic to say the least.

yes he should replace Baber right.:91:

Misbah. Babar should open with Azhar or Shafiq. Fawad at 3, followed by Younus. Hammad Azam at 6, and Rizwan should replace Sarfraz for the Australia tour. However, Sarfraz should play in Asia.

In conditions which were always going to help the seamers occupying the crease was always going to be important but just blocking and blocking until you got a ball with your name on it was not the way to go... the over negative mindset didn't help the team whatsoever.

Somehow it's always Younis and Misbah's fault. By scoring 21 runs in 21 overs and not scoring even a 50, openers had done their job?

That's not what batsmen do, tailenders do that!

Good comments, however no criticism levelled at Misbah and YK the ones with the most experience who should have shepherded the batting in at least one of the two innings in the match.

Back