2022 FIFA World Cup prospects getting clearer

Junaids

Senior T20I Player
Runs
Post of the Week
We are now at the final international break before the Qatar World Cup.

And it's probably a good moment to have a thread summarising how each team does this weekend in the run up to Qatar.

Louis Van Gaal's Netherlands easily defeated Poland. It is clear that Poland is a terribly weak team with one good striker, whereas the Dutch are looking stronger and stronger and are probably dark horses to reach the last 4.

Belgium beat Wales 2-1, but the match highlighted both team's problems. For Wales, Bale and Ramsey are now in clear decline - physical and skills respectively - while the only top class emerging youngster is Brennan Johnson.

Belgium are still fantastic going forward, but they are still picking Vetonghen and Alderweireid at the back and the first quick team they meet will kill them. I actually worry that Canada will beat them, because they are extremely quick.

Croatia beat Denmark 2-1, which was interesting. Neither team is great - they both have one genius and several pretty good players, plus a few players who are at a sort of Fulham/Bournemouth level.

Whoever finishes second in the France/Denmark group will get knocked out by Argentina in the Round of Sixteen, while if Croatia can win the group they may still have to face Germany or Spain - but it could be Japan!

France looked rotten again today. They still have the best squad, but the federation is falling apart and Pogba may well not be fit. Plus, like England, they still have a coach who would never get a job at a major club.

Tonight will be interesting.

Japan plays the USA.

South Korea plays Costa Rica.

Iran plays Uruguay, who need a new central defensive pairing but who could go very far if they omit Godin and bench Suarez and Cavani.

Qatar plays Canada.

Brazil plays Ghana, who have naturalised Lamptey (Tariq, not Nii!)and one of the Williams brothers.

Germany plays Hungary.

Italy host England, and if it goes badly we may see Southgate one defeat away from being sacked on the eve of the World Cup.

Soutgate not getting sacked even if England lose 5-0

I know, but it's astonishing that England and France handicap golden generations by putting in charge coaches who would be unemployable at a major club.

The World Cup draw is interesting, because England don't have a really weak team in the group at all. They could easily come second in the group and go out to the Netherlands without even reaching 5 December!

It could easily go something like:

England 0 Iran 0
USA 1 Wales 1

England 1 USA 2
Wales 2 Iran 0

England 1 Wales 1
USA 2 Iran 1

And I say that as someone who believes that England have the second strongest group of players.

Back