UEFA EURO (European Championship) 2024 Discussion thread

Which team will win the UEFA European Championship 2024?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
lol at Asians supporting Eng.. theyr fans will still call you a p**i after they’ve had a drink.

Those black players who missed penalties in the last euro final got a taste. Hope Spain rip em apart on Sunday !!

I think in a divided country the football team is the only common denominator

That's only relevant when England win.

I've been following football in England for decades as well.

Let.me remind you of 4 years ago after Italy won the final. Every Johnny foreigner was getting racially abused.

Let.me remind you of 4 years ago after Italy won the final. Every Johnny foreigner was getting racially abused.
The fringe will always be there and they will never change but the critical mass has changed

Prime Minister Keir Starmer has suggested to US President Joe Biden that the Three Lions have what it takes to win Euro 2024.

During a meeting at the White House following England's semi-final win, the president asked if it was coming home, to which Sir Keir said: "It looks like it."

"It's because of the prime minister," Mr Biden replied.

Despite being in Washington DC, Sir Keir managed to tune into the match, catching Harry Kane's penalty alongside his Dutch counterpart Dick Schoof.

SKY Sports

Netherlands boss Ronald Koeman criticised the use of video assistant referees (VAR) for "breaking football" after England were awarded a contentious penalty in Tuesday's tense Euro 2024 semi-final.

The Dutch had taken an early lead through Xavi Simons' powerful strike but Gareth Southgate's side were handed a lifeline when Harry Kane was caught on the follow-through by Denzel Dumfries after the England captain had already shot over the bar.

No penalty was given originally but referee Felix Zwayer then pointed to the spot after he was advised to go to the monitor by VAR.

Kane levelled with the spot-kick and substitute Ollie Watkins struck a 90th-minute winner to send England to Sunday's final, where they will play Spain.

BBC

So it is going to be England vs Spain.
Well, I thought that Netherlands was going to win but they messed it up.

Not even comparable. It's like comparing chalk and cheese. Rodri is levels better. Rice is no where near a world class center mid.
Why do you hate Rice so much?

Not sure if I have asked before.... who is your club team?

I have no idea how England have jammed their way to a final. HAHA. Its so funny.

They have not played anybody decent until yesterday and fair play they came through the test.

Interesting how the team seems to win games once Foden leaves the pitch.

I mean if they win or lose I really don't have much feeling either way for England. My concern was getting Arsenal players back as soon as possible but they might as well win now.

On Rice vs Rodri. Rodri is superior but Mainoo and Rice could cause him issues. He is a beast though.

I reckon England will expose the Spanish full backs. Cucurella and Carvajal should really not be getting the better of England Wingers.

Lets see.

Why do you hate Rice so much?

Not sure if I have asked before.... who is your club team?

Just giving a honest opinion. He's so over hyped.

It's just laughable he's even compared to a generation talent like Rodri.

Clearly since Mainoo has come in to the England side, England look more progressive in midfield. Compared to the double pivot of water carriers of Rice and Connor.

I'm a UTD fan.

That's what I also implied , difference between Rodri and Rice sums up the difference between Spain and england

England have improved in midfield in the last few games since Mainoo has come in to the side. A real progressive midfielder with quality.

England have improved in midfield in the last few games since Mainoo has come in to the side. A real progressive midfielder with quality.
Yes definitely better than Henderson, but Spain are too much quality when compared with England, none of the English midfielder can walk in to Spain team

Knowing English Media and people only one getting immortalised will be Kane.

Not at all. Most people want him dropped and Watkins brought in. Kane has been a great goalscorer and a good captain but with him on the pitch now it is like playing with 10 players.

Yes definitely better than Henderson, but Spain are too much quality when compared with England, none of the English midfielder can walk in to Spain team

Agree. Spanish midfield is very strong. They dealt with high quality German and French midfields. Whilst Rodri deserves the plaudits, Fabian Ruiz is a really baller. Extremely good under pressure.

Not at all. Most people want him dropped and Watkins brought in. Kane has been a great goalscorer and a good captain but with him on the pitch now it is like playing with 10 players.

Kane looks like he is moving with heavy ankle weights, is he carrying an injury or is it just fatigue from playing club football? I don’t watch German football so don’t know what his movement was like there. Even Ronaldo has looked more threatening then Kane in the EURO’s.

Southgate got his timing right this time but it could have been too late, Watkins has to start against the fiery Spanish who come out quickly from the gates.

No one is doubting kanes quality. Proven top player. But it's clear, he's lacking. And for me watkins is quality. He has all the attributes to be a defenders nightmare.

England told they were 'given a gift' with Harry Kane penalty by ex-Premier League referee

England should NOT have been given a penalty against the Netherlands, ex-Premier League official Mark Halsey has claimed.

The Three Lions were awarded a controversial spot-kick on Dortmund on Wednesday. Referee Felix Zwayer did not give it after Harry Kane and Denzel Dumfries clashed.

But VAR intervened, leading to a rethink from the German official. Kane duly dispatched his spot-kick to level the game after Xavi Simons’ scintillating opener. But the decision has garnered severe criticism, including from former Premier League official Halsey. He suggests that Zwayer’s original decision should have remained.

Writing in a column for the The Sun, he said: “Harry Kane was gifted a penalty by controversial referee Felix Zwayer. If England had been on the receiving end of that decision, we would have been absolutely fuming.

“Both Denzel Dumfries and Kane had their feet in the air as England’s captain got his shot away. It was just a clash of legs and certainly NOT a ‘clear and obvious error’.

“Once Zwayer went over to the monitor, we knew what was going to happen. He is an excellent referee but we have seen that none of the officials seem mentally tough enough to stick with their original call.

“I know some people will argue Dumfries was late to the tackle and it would have been a free-kick elsewhere on the pitch. But it is a contact sport and it’s natural that there will be a coming together in instances like that.”

Halsey was not the only former official to criticise the decision. FIFA referee Jonas Eriksson, who officiated at the 2014 World Cup, claimed that the penalty should have been struck off due to a handball by Bukayo Saka earlier in the move.

He said: “Here, I am surprised that they don’t go and look and overturn the penalty. According to the rulebook, it is a penalty.

“In reality, when you have to interpret it, I don’t think it should be a punishment. It is a clear hand [from Saka] and it means that no penalty should be awarded to Kane.”

The decision also triggered fury from the Dutch camp. Ronald Koeman, Virgil van Dijk and Dumfries were among those to claim that it should not have been a penalty.

Ex-Netherlands international suggested Zwayer be ‘blacklisted’ for his decision. Intriguingly, there was also criticism from an England standpoint - Gary Neville labelling the penalty as a “disgrace”.

lol at Asians supporting Eng.. theyr fans will still call you a p**i after they’ve had a drink.

Those black players who missed penalties in the last euro final got a taste. Hope Spain rip em apart on Sunday !!

I mean I do agree with this and the cricket team / fans in general are far better.

But the current football side is fairly diverse, the players don’t seem like tossers and the team make up reflects a country which has seen change since the 90’s.

The football team no longer belongs to the far right alone, but also ethnic minorities, you can see it in the jubilant scenes from where some of the players are from and beyond.

After the abuse Saka got, Hamzah Sheeraz showed up at a Boxing event in an Arsenal shirt to show solidarity for example.

Asians and minorities in general love football and will still support the team despite the toxicity among a part of the fanbase, it’s a better representation of the change in England and the people who live here.

Besides, don’t ya”ll want a bank holiday :yk

England need to raise their game but Southgate is the weak link. Amazing record for an England coach but has about much tactical nous as SSA

Euro 2024 Final

Spain Vs. England ……. Winner England

It’s a maiden final for England, wishing England all the best to win Euro 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back