2nd Test: England VS West Indies at Headingley.

Sean

T20I Debutant
Runs
England won the toss and elected to bat.
Vaughan back for England. Ryan Sidebottom in the team for his 2nd ever test match. His last test was way back in 2001.
Chanderpaul out for Windies. Sylvester Joseph replaces him.

England 0/6.

Last edited:
Sean said:
England won the toss and elected to bat.
Vaughan back for England. Ryan Sidebottom makes his debut.
Chanderpaul out for England. Sylvester Joseph replaces him.

England 0/6.

You mean WI :)

Wicket falls. Strauss goes for 15.
Caught by Ramdin off the bowling of Powell.
1/38.

Strauss gone caught behind.

38/1

That was just an awful shot by Strauss; short and wide and he just lamely edges to Ramdin. A bonus for Powell.

Easa said:
That was just an awful shot by Strauss; short and wide and he just lamely edges to Ramdin. A bonus for Powell.
Good to see Cricinfo is working :)

Rob H said:
Good to see Cricinfo is working :)
Nah, I always watch matches played in England - just don't watch Bangladesh/India! :)

Vaughan looking dodgey out here. Some sharp deliveries that look like getting him bowled or lbw. Collymore swinging it both ways well.

I was watching this match on a stream. As soon as they walk out on the field, the swap to the India VS Bangladesh match! Grrr.

Rob H said:
Vaughan looking dodgey out here. Some sharp deliveries that look like getting him bowled or lbw. Collymore swinging it both ways well.
I bet Collymore won't get the wicket though; he must be one of the most unluckiest bowlers in the world today.

Easa said:
I bet Collymore won't get the wicket though; he must be one of the most unluckiest bowlers in the world today.
It's amazing he still poses a threat to the bowlers bowling at the speed he does. 74-77 mph is stuff you'd get off teenagers.

Rob H said:
It's amazing he still poses a threat to the bowlers bowling at the speed he does. 74-77 mph is stuff you'd get off teenagers.
Ya, but he's a good bowler to have in useful conditions. I have faced 75 MPH before and when it is not fast, it is not slow either. Combine swing and seam with it and it becomes quite a handful.

44/1, not expecting a thrilling passage of play here with Cook & Vaughan at the crease.

50/1 and back to back Maidens for Taylor. Vaughan going at his ODI pace.

Finally Vaughan plays an aggressive stroke. He plays that pull shot well. His first 4

2 men on the legside for the mis-timed pull and hook at fine leg and deep mid wicket. Still willing to go for it is Vaughan. This could be a good passage of play.

Rob H said:
Finally Vaughan plays an aggressive stroke. He plays that pull shot well. His first 4
Is that the pull shot he used so successfully in the 02-03 tour of Australia?

Driven in the air just wide of the man at gully. Still 4 runs for Vaughan though.

4 more to Vaughan, he's on fire! :O

12 of 40 balls!

What a shot, drive just wide of cover. That was a beauty by Vaughan. Trademark one might say.

And a glorious cover drive, Vaughan looking in decent touch.

67/1

Now Vaughan is batting slightly above Jason Gillespies average pace.

Clipped through the onside for 4 by Vaughan. He's finding the runs now.

Sean said:
Is there much swing on this pitch?
Fair bit of movement. They are bowling some very good balls that are being watched very carefully. Siome loose ones in the mix too though.

short and whipped through mid wicket for 4 by Cook. Lovely batting.

Vaughan has faced more balls than Cook, and he came in after 8 overs.
He has alot of the strike, but he isn't getting many runs.

I cannot believe it. The last ball before lunch and Cook has gone lbw. Rauf gave it on the front foot and it was plumb. Ugly way to go into lunch. The decision to put Gayle on works and Cook is out of there for 42.

91/2 at lunch

I could have gone to this if it wasn't for my exams (but why am i on PP if I am so bothered about my exams)...

If Pietersen and Vaughan take on the bowlers after lunch it is looking like another good batting day for us. We have plenty of decent batsmen and the bowling isn't the best so making runs in this series wont be a problem. The issue is taking 20 wickets which we didn't look like doing at Lords. Hopefully this game is the first step in the right direction for a bowling attack that on paper looks average at best.

I think Vaughan will fall sooner or later. It will be about KP how he performs. I have a feeling that WI has a good chance in this test.

Oooh. The mexican wave. If they were in Aus, they'd be all chucked out. :p
I'm guessin that the barmy army started it.

cover drive and 4 for Vaughan. He's looking in decent touch now.

Straight drive with a misfield gets Vaughan a 50 on return. Well back skipper.

What a shot, pulled away for 4 by Pietersen. 139/2 now. England motering.

KP stumped off a no-ball. Looks like he could be booked in for the ton again.

On drive for 4 by Pietersen. This is like an exhibition of batting from these 2 now. Like watching one day cricket.

Cricket should be on terrestrial tv in the UK.

If it wasnt for PakPassion, I wouldnt even know there was a series going on!

agree oxy

absolutely pathetic that there is no live cricket on normal tv

Oxy said:
Ay, no matter how much the Sky money is there is just not the same appeal for Cricket. It's at an all time low really.

Oxy said:

Test Match Special

Even KP's mishits reaching the boundary. Brings up his 50.

PlanetPakistan said:
"the only way he'll get out is if he gets hit on the pad with that umpire Rauf" Boycott

Pfffsh.

Rauf's been excellent so far apart from that Collingwood decision.

If Vaughan does not score a century off such a bowling defence (one cannot claim it as an "attack") then he ought not be be lauded.

222/2 at tea. 131 runs off 27 overs in that session. Vaughan 92*, Pietersen 53*

Oxy said:

What planet are you on Oxy? :))

Oxy just tell the missis you've spent her subscription to ARY and bought sky sports

It's quite disappointing to see that these days Headingly and Perth have turned in to such batting beauties!

I guess England will score about 800 and the windies will get 420 or something.

If we had a pitch like this in Pakistan, PakPassion would have had about 20 threads abusing the PCB and Dr Nasim Ashraf.

Billy said:
Test Match Special
Cant pick up LW in my area any more. Cant afford DAB radio. And if you think my family are going to let me sit there 'listening' to TMS on the TV via Digital TV....

Oxy said:
He's actually quite a nice guy in 'zero-gravity' conditions.
woooh if it's zero gravity then you must be on the wrong planet! :))

I am rooting for M Vaughan to make 150+.

Edged between 1st and 3rd slip and Vaughan gets 100 on return to the test side.

I guess that's what you call a fairytale comeback, well done to him.

Why did Courtney Walsh retire so early, surely he's still fit enough to play?

Cannot believe that dimissal. Vaughan has just pulled it straight to the man at deep square playing that pull shot. Great innings but a tame dismissal for 103.

254/3

Nasser Hussain needs to shut up and stop going on stereotypes. What does he know on how all the West Indian fast bowlers did when they grew up playing.

God he gets on my nerves.

Back