2nd Test, Hamilton: Would you drop Yasir Shah for Wahab Riaz?

NauV

Local Club Regular
Runs
Post of the Week
As I was watching the first test, I became more firm in my belief that Wahab Riaz just has to play on these pitches . . not just because of the seam but also because of the pace and bounce. The only 2 players that you can drop for him are either Rahat Ali or Yasir Shah.

As huge of a fan I am of Yasir Shah, on these pitches, I just don't see a role for him. These pitches that NZ are preparing for Pak are primarily aimed to expose our batting weakness against pace and seam.

The downside however is that because of our depleted all round strength, with 4 fast bowlers, you're looking at 22/23 overs a day per fast bowler which is a lot! So unless Azhar Ali can give you 7 to 10 overs of 3 runs an over, this might be hard on the fast bowlers.

Nonetheless, it's a tricky decision.

Would be good to get the views of the folks here?
My view is that regardless of whether they want to drop Yasir, Wahab needs to come in to this team.

Rahat Ali should be the one dropped for Riaz. I don't know how anyone can make a judgement on this without seeing the pitch first though.

Rahat Ali should be the one dropped for Riaz. I don't know how anyone can make a judgement on this without seeing the pitch first though.

I agree! I should have stated that the assumption here is that the pitch will be similar to Christchurh

If the pitch is the same, then we have to give Riaz a go instead of Shah.

Azhar and Babar can chip in with a few overs each.

I agree! I should have stated that the assumption here is that the pitch will be similar to Christchurh

If its another green lawn then yes, I would play four seamers. Shah hardly bowled in the first match.

This is where a pace A/R is so handy.

First and foremost, rahat needs to be dropped and I would play Imran as a definite, whilst dropping Yasir for Riaz is a tough decision and wouldn't mind it either way.

If the pitch is the same then Yes, but I'd rather Rahat is replaced tbh.

Honestly I think this is a bit of a knee-jerk reaction. Yasir Shah has played well in most of his Tests, and when he fails to perform in one suddenly he should be dropped? No. If anything, he has shown the ability to make something out of nothing at times. Keep him for the second test.

For Hamilton in spring I would not pick Yasir Shah or Wahab Riaz.

Neither style works for a soft, green wicket.

My first choice Test attack in the conditions would be:

Mohammad Asif batting at 10
Mohammad Amir batting at 9
Hasan Ali batting at 8
Rahat Ali batting at 11
Aamer Yamin or Mohammad Nawaz batting at 7

Misbah would never drop Shah, no matter what the pitch or weather conditions are..

For Hamilton in spring I would not pick Yasir Shah or Wahab Riaz.

Neither style works for a soft, green wicket.

My first choice Test attack in the conditions would be:

Mohammad Asif batting at 10
Mohammad Amir batting at 9
Hasan Ali batting at 8
Rahat Ali batting at 11
Aamer Yamin or Mohammad Nawaz batting at 7

Yeah but Asif, Hasan and Yamin are not in the squad so these are just fantasies.

Not sure. Hearing from some that it will be a soft, green track while others are saying that it's not as green and it assists spinners Day 3 onwards etc. What is correct? :danish

Anyway - the only way I see this happening is if Nawaz also plays, i.e. as a 5th bowler. Chances of that happening are very low thanks to the lack of performance displayed by him with the bat so far.

You need to play players according to surfaces . Yasir is not warne who can get wickets on any surface . Warne aggression was different level.

Not sure. Hearing from some that it will be a soft, green track while others are saying that it's not as green and it assists spinners Day 3 onwards etc. What is correct? :danish

If you were Kiwi curator , what surface will you prepare ?

It is likely that the pitch will be the same, so yes, Shah and Rahat out for Wahab and Imran.

Yasir was well played by the Kiwi's in UAE.

Here he will be even less effective here.

I'd go with 4 prong pace attack of -

Amir
Wahab
Imran
Sohail

If you were Kiwi curator , what surface will you prepare ?

Green as the grass next to it!

We got unstuck horrendously on a green pitch a few days ago and would expect the same at Hamilton.

A flat pitch is a double edge sword as our batting may come good in the knick of time - NZ would not take that risk...

Honestly I think this is a bit of a knee-jerk reaction. Yasir Shah has played well in most of his Tests, and when he fails to perform in one suddenly he should be dropped? No. If anything, he has shown the ability to make something out of nothing at times. Keep him for the second test.

I absolutely didn't say that Yasir shah should be dropped because of performance. I said, if the pitches are green, does it make sense to include 4 fast bowlers instead of a spinner . . Are 4 fast bowlers going to be more effective than 3 fast bowlers and a spinner? I am the biggest proponent of Yasir Shah and I genuinely believe he is the best Test spinner in the world . . However, seeing the first test I think there's a case for 4 fast bowlers.

the kiwis have done this in the past so i wont be surprised if they make a draw pitch to get a morale boosting home win.

Wahab for Rahat should be only bowling change. I doubt it will be the type pitch where we need 4 seamers, also with over rates being so poor we saw what a farce of a captain Azhar was during kiwi ODI series last year when handling our quick bowlers and poor over rates.

Interesting to see if kiwis go for kill and 2-0 with a green wicket or a flat wicket and a draw and a possible 1-0 series win.

Pakistan is one subcontinent team who has consistently done well in NZ over the years because of raw pace. If you go by history they are extremely vulnerable against raw pace. Akhtar, Akram, Sami, Waqar have all done well in NZ. You need to have bowlers who can beat them in the air.

No. Rahat out for Wahab. If we play well then Yasir will win us the Test on day 4 or 5.

So apparently the best spinner in the world can't make the XI in unfriendly conditons?

Don't think thats the point . . as a team you have to maximize your chances to win! if on a green pitch, you need 4 fast bowlers to be most effective, then that's what you do! Spinners aren't meant to win you matches on green tracks . . Plus, unfortuantely we don't have the liberty of playing a fast bowling alrounder at 7 . .

I know your comment is a jibe at Yasir Shah . . but I don't believe any fan who understands cricket, conditions and history can doubt what he has done/achieved in the last 2 years in Test cricket . . and just in case you don't watch cricket in the UAE . . those UAE tracks are not "friendly" conditions for spinners when you compare them to whats on offer in India and Bangladesh!

We just had our captain suspended for slow over rate..another pacer isn't going to work. Rahat should sit out.

Why can't yasir shah and wahab riaz play together

One has pace and the other has toe crunching yorkers
Would be great to see even for the neutrals

For Yasir Shah to succeed, we need a match that goes into the 4th day! Given that there is 2 days of rain forecast in Hamilton, Yasir may well be match-winner.

For Yasir Shah to succeed, we need a match that goes into the 4th day! Given that there is 2 days of rain forecast in Hamilton, Yasir may well be match-winner.

Going to 4th day is only helpful for Yasir if you get full days. If you are losing, let's say one day, due to rain then 4th day of test will be effectively a 3rd day pitch. How many days have been played on pitch is important for Yasir.

Going to 4th day is only helpful for Yasir if you get full days. If you are losing, let's say one day, due to rain then 4th day of test will be effectively a 3rd day pitch. How many days have been played on pitch is important for Yasir.

Yes - of course, that's what I meant! He needs to be bowling to a good score by his team-mates

Even if it's a green pitch, I still won't drop Yasir Shah. How can you drop your best bowler? This is beyond me. How can anyone forget Yasir's five wicket haul at Lord's, on a flat track? If the batsmen put a good total on board then he will definitely come into play. You just can't judge him on the first match at all.

As far as Wahab is concerned, he should never have been dropped in the first place. He was our best fast bowler against WI. His confidence level was high, should have played the first Test. Anyways, I will drop Rahat for Wahab.

Wahab and Yasir have shown to bowl pretty well together.. Rahat should be dropped for the lion to be unleashed!!

Haven't seen the wicket - if it's same as CChurch with similar cloud cover, I'll drop Yasir for Imran. Otherwise, on a good, firm wicket under Sun (may be there'll be some green grass), I'll keep Yasir. At CC, NZ had targets of 133 & 105 in 2 innings - one can play Shane, Murali, Laker & Bedi in a playing XI - still it won't work for a spinner on that surface with that sort of score to defend.

Test matches are won by bowlers, but not with tail-end batting from top 7 - in that Test, Babar's 27 was by far the best innings of the match by PAK - if that's the standard, I'll play all 5 pacers & Yasir as well.

Yasir Shah is currently undroppable. If he was at 3rd or 4th rung amongst Pakistani bowlers, then there would be a case of dropping him by looking at a pitch. But he is currently #1 bowler for his country - he can't be dropped. He should be and will be trusted to take wickets on any kind of pitch.

Why on earth would you want to drop Yasir? You could at least drop Rahat for Wahab in this case.

If it is a green wicket or a bouncy wicket drop Yasir for Wahab and Rahat for Imran Khan.

Back