3 Idiots

deep82

Local Club Regular
Runs
The latest from bollywood...guys go catch this flick...its absolutely brillant!

Aamir khan is one of the idiot- its a story about Educational system and based on a campus- a must watch!!

Hilarious, Emotional & Honest.

Expecting a lot from this movie, it comes out tomorrow in UK, will go watch then ;)

Punisher said:
Expecting a lot from this movie, it comes out tomorrow in UK, will go watch then ;)

It came out yesterday! watched it in TC. Absolutely brilliant!

Yeah its coming out offically tomorrow in India, I caught it in a paid preview today- easily the best bollywood film of 2009 :claps:

Well you can't really blame Aamir Khan much on it, if I go with what you are saying he has accomplished a hattrick of movie successes with Taray Zameen Par in 2007, Ghajini in 2008 and 3 Idiots in 2009. Another reason why I respect Aamir Khan so much, he does only 1 movie per year but atleast he guarantees it to be a HIT.

Yeah with Aamir , you can only expect quality....

Post 2000 his only movie that has non performed is 'Mangal pandey' ( even that made money)....otherwise all of his other movies were hits...

And the brillance of 3 idiots is still linerging in my mind.....

I m going to watch it tomorrow and i still didt understand why mangal pandey didt worked he worked hard on his looks .

its based on chetan bhagat's book... 5 point someone... i haven't watched the movie but i'm 200 % sure the movie cant do justice to the book... book was something else really

im not much into Indian movies but I'm definitely gonna watch it some day.
I heard that IDIOTS stands for I Did It On My Term(s).
Only one thing put me off were the actors that are too old for the role of college students.they should get younger people.=O
they were in Rang De Basanti,which i liked because of its unique storyline and music

Not really interested in the music of this movie.

Aamir Khan as usual has delivered yet another hit. Cant expect anything less than quality from him in comparison to other actors.

has anyone seen the part shown on the trailer.

Amir:"sir aapko humara naam aur roll number pata hai"
Man:"nahin"
Amir:*messes up the papers*"nahi pata re bhag bhag bhaag!!":))) :)))

Super Sixer said:
has anyone seen the part shown on the trailer.

Amir:"sir aapko humara naam aur roll number pata hai"
Man:"nahin"
Amir:*messes up the papers*"nahi pata re bhag bhag bhaag!!":))) :)))

When was the last time Bshitwood came up with any original or their own idea?

[utube]fAjW1LU5-rE[/utube]

Just like "Taray Zammen par", I am sure this movie may also be an "inspiration" from a western book or a movie.

JeeraBlade said:
When was the last time Bshitwood came up with any original or their own idea?

Just like "Taray Zammen par", I am sure this movie may also be an "inspiration" from a western book or a movie.

This movie is inspired from a book from an "Indian" author Chetan Bhaghat. The book is called Five Point someone. The book is based on his own college life in one of the India's finest institutions. So definitely not inspired by a western book.

I watched the movie last night. I liked it.

My favorite part of the movie was the speech :)))

giri26 said:
This movie is inspired from a book from an "Indian" author Chetan Bhaghat. The book is called Five Point someone. The book is based on his own college life in one of the India's finest institutions.

So you are saying this commercial was stolen from a real incident in the book?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAjW1LU5-rE

giri26 said:
So definitely not inspired by a western book.

That would a be first then but then again, we don't know who stole what in case of the jokes in the movies.

anyone who liked Five point some one , should read Karan Bajajs ' Keep off the Grass' ...Much better read imo .

Is there is a song in the movie kas ye pal by Jal band which is a pakistani band? There were remours about it on youtube.

Cheguvera said:
Fifty year Aamir Khan as a college student is a bit of a stretch...

not really, he pulls it off perfectly

And also he pulled it off perfectly in Dil Chahte Hai, his acting was superb in it!

I have always found it bizarre that Bollywood gets 30-40 year olds to play college students

absolutely fabulous film...Aamir Khan was simply brilliant, in fact everyone was excellent...great story, superb acting, and pretty clean (one kiss in the ending)...a must see

Ahmed Zulfiqar said:
absolutely fabulous film...Aamir Khan was simply brilliant, in fact everyone was excellent...great story, superb acting, and pretty clean (one kiss in the ending)...a must see

Hmmmmmmm..............OK :13:

I am not into Indian movies but I have to say this movie is something special. The movie centers around the subcontinent tradition of parents forcing or pushing their kids into certain professions that they think is best for them and not allowing them to make up their own minds or follow their passions. Aamir Khan depsite being in his 40's amazingly pulls off the role of a college student with great success. The 2 other main actors or idiots are great too but its all Aamir Khan. The guy is simply the best in Bollywood. I don;t remember laughing this hard in a movie in a long time and also was never this teary eyed in a movie esp. Bollywood movie for as long as I can remember, such is the story, acting and direction of this movie. None of the songs were memorable but they fit the scene and mood at that moment and did'nt seem like they were made in advance and than squeezed somewhere just so the movie can have a couple of hit songs. Great movie and worth watching in theatre. Strongly recommended.

After a long time, a nice movie come out from bollywood......

I am glad lots of people are liking it...

I am getting desperate to watch this film:9:.......

I love the Pak PPers responses...

"I'm not into Indian movies BUT...................."

I rather all Bollywood movies be anti-Pak & anti-Muslim....and you'd all be funding them & then whinging about them, Ponting style!!

Enjoy!

indeed they should make more anti-Pakistan films...probably the funniest stuff Bollywood can come up with

Oxy said:

I rather all Bollywood movies be anti-Pak & anti-Muslim....and you'd all be funding them & then whinging about them, Ponting style!!

Enjoy!

:p
Ahahaha,...I know who you're talking about :p

No seriously speaking,I havent watched any of the Indian movies released this year,although 99's trailer looked good but I havent seen it yet.
Since I hate love-related movies and musicals,i dont have many indian movies to watch.
Rang de basanti was pretty good ;)

3 Idiots Review!!!!!!!!

By Taran Adarsh, December 21, 2009 – 14:25 IST

Life is all about listening to your heart and chasing your dreams. That’s the essence of 3 IDIOTS, directed by the supremely talented Rajkumar Hirani. Let me come to the point right away. There are films and there are more films. And then there’s 3 IDIOTS.

Come to think of it, 3 IDIOTS carries a huge ‘burden’ on its shoulders: The ‘burden’ of humungous expectations. And it’s not without reasons…
# 3 IDIOTS is Aamir’s next release after the record-breaker GHAJINI.
# 3 IDIOTS is Rajkumar Hirani and Vidhu Vinod Chopra’s third film together, after MUNNABHAI MBBS and LAGE RAHO MUNNABHAI, landmark films.
# Three actors from the path-breaking RANG DE BASANTI team – Aamir, Madhavan and Sharman – team up yet again. Plus, Aamir’s teaming up with Hirani. It couldn’t get bigger!

3 IDIOTS is over-hyped and that could be dangerous for any film since it’s the expectations which kill a film if the content doesn’t match up to the hype. In this case, all izz well!

Now let’s demystify the myths…
3 IDIOTS is not about idiots or nincompoops. It’s about three engineering students who believe in ‘I‘ll Do It On my Terms’ and that’s what the three characters achieve in life and that’s what Hirani, Chopra, Aamir eventually achieve at the end of the movie. Making a movie on their terms!
//

One more thing! You cannot draw parallels with any other film, past or present, successful or unsuccessful. And though people may draw parallels with GHAJINI or the MUNNABHAI series, it would be sacrilege to do so. 3 IDIOTS [based on a novel 'Five Point Someone' by Chetan Bhagat] doesn’t tilt, it stands tall.

Here’s yet another illusion: 3 IDIOTS belongs to Aamir Khan. Yes, it does, but also to R. Madhavan, Sharman Joshi, Boman Irani, Kareena Kapoor and Omi, the entrant in Hindi movies, who delivers an equally sterling performance. The film would be incomplete without any of these characters.

To cut a long story short, all you’d like to say about the film is, All izz very, very, very, very, very well. Watch this film to know what it means!

Two friends [R. Madhavan and Sharman Joshi] embark on a quest for a lost buddy. As they make their way through the perilous landscape [Shimla, Manali, Ladakh], another journey begins: their inner journey through memory lane and the story of their friend – the irrepressible free-thinker Rancho [Aamir Khan], who, in his unique way, touched and changed their lives.

It’s a story of their hostel days that swings between Rancho’s romance with the spirited Pia [Kareena Kapoor] and his clash with and oppressive mentor, Viru Sahastrabudhhe [Boman Irani]. And then one day, suddenly, Rancho vanishes…

Who was he? Where did he come from? Why did he leave? The friend who influenced and inspired them to think creatively and independently, even as the conformist world called them three idiots. Where is the original idiot now?

Hirani is a genius and that has been proved twice in the past. He proves it for the third time with 3 IDIOTS. Screenplay writers Hirani and Abhijat Joshi and screenplay associate Vidhu Vinod Chopra narrate a story that’s straight out of life. A story that each one of us can relate to or identify with.

Very often, we’ve read news-reports of students committing suicides because they’ve to live up to the family’s pressure/expectations. This film depicts it at the very start, when a student commits suicide. But the issue doesn’t end there, for 3 IDIOTS raises a pertinent question: Was it suicide or murder?

Hirani balances the rough and smooth incidents in their lives beautifully. The sequences in the campus, right from the ragging sequence at the start, to Omi’s speech when the word ‘chamatkaar’ is changed to ‘balatkaar’ [superb; will bring the house down], to the trio getting caught in an embarrassing situation at the reception of Kareena’s sister [Mona Singh], to the dinner sequence at Sharman’s house, to Kareena and Aamir driving Sharman’s seriously ill father on their bike to the hospital… the funny moments would make your jaws ache.

The interval point is a shocker. The point at which the first half ends will leave you stunned. Now what was that? Kahani mein twist!

The mystery is solved soon after the intermission ends and a new journey begins. That’s one of the USPs of the film. Just when you think that the story would be solved, a new story begins. Of course, the pace dips slightly in its second hour, especially during the delivery sequence of Mona [which may appear filmy to a few], but the immediate sequence, when the baby boy is born and also the subsequent sequence between Boman and Aamir bring the film back on track. The culmination to the film is novel and yes, it’s a master stroke from the writing point of view!

Every person behind the camera gives his/her best to the film. Hirani and Joshi’s screenplay is the mainstay of the film. If you fondly recall ‘Gandhigiri’ from their previous film LAGE RAHO MUNNABHAI, you’d have a new phrase to chew on this time: ‘All Izz Well’. Muraleedharan C.K.’s cinematography is awesome. Note the aerial view at the very start, when Madhavan and Sharman begin the journey to Shimla or the picture perfect look of Ladakh… the DoP does a magnificent job.

Shantanu Moitra’s music may sound plain ordinary to ears, but when viewed on screen, the score is just perfect. ‘Give Me Some Sunshine’, ‘All Is Well’, ‘Zoobie Doobie’ are three tracks that would grow on you after you’ve watched the film. The choreography of ‘All Izz Well’ [Avit Dias] and ‘Zoobie Doobie’ [Bosco-Caesar] are eye-catching. The background score [Sanjay Wandrekar, Atul Raninga, Shantanu Moitra] is right.

3 IDIOTS belongs to everyone. But, yes, there’s no denying that Aamir makes you forget all his past achievements as you watch the amazing actor play Rancho. To state that this ranks amongst his finest works would be an understatement. Madhavan is incredible, especially in the sequence when he explains his point of view to his father [Pareekshit Sahani]. Sharman is outstanding from start to end. This was a difficult role to portray and only an actor of calibre could’ve pulled it off. Boman is superb as the vicious head of the institute. The scenes between Aamir and Boman are extra-ordinary and it’s a treat to watch these two powerful actors clash on the big screen, without getting overdramatic. Boman’s appearance, mannerisms and dialogue delivery are exemplary.

The length of Kareena’s role may not be as much as Aamir, Madhavan and Sharman, but she registers a strong impact nonetheless. Omi is excellent and the viewers are sure to love his acidic tongue and gestures in the movie. Mona Singh doesn’t get much scope. Jaaved Jaffery is competent. Pareekshit Sahani is decent.

On the whole, 3 IDIOTS easily ranks amongst Aamir, Rajkumar Hirani and Vidhu Vinod Chopra’s finest films. Do yourself and your family a favour: Watch 3 IDIOTS. It’s emotional, it’s entertaining, it’s enlightening. The film has tremendous youth appeal and feel-good factor to work in a big way.

definitely not as good as ghajini...has some good scenes, but also is full of chichoray jokes...

Oxy said:

Enjoy!

:))) :))) Oxy you LEGEND.

For the record, I won't be watching it......

..........any time soon

Fantastic movie about friendship...just saw the camrip version tho..not pleased...but really a pretty good movie.

Went to watch this movie today.

I am not an Aamir Khan fan although I did really like some of his movies such as Andaaz Apna Apna , Rang de Basanati and Sarfarosh. But I must say this is a fantastic movie. Could very well be the best movie of the year hence it was saved for the very end. Not a single dull moment in the movie and really touching at the same time. Way to go Raj Kumar Hirani Saahib !!

It appears that all the patriotic pakistanis are the biggest fans of all things indian, particularly their cinema...

Last edited:
Cheguvera said:
He also set the world cinematic record of playing a youngest character by a middle aged man...
is it? no idea.

Anyway, booking my tickets for coming weekend.

moumotta said:
Munnabhai meets Taare Zameen Par
So you watched it?

whatever it is. I won't miss a Amir khan movie, even if its flopped. Else I hardly go to theatre to watch hindi movies. :)

Garuda said:
So you watched it?

whatever it is. I won't miss a Amir khan movie, even if its flopped. Else I hardly go to theatre to watch hindi movies. :)

Yeah, pretty Ok until the last hour when they start throwing one happy 'surprise convert' after another in a mad scramble.

Watched it yesterday. Some advise for everyone here - do yourself a favor and watch this movie. You'll laugh your head off, a laughter riot. Simply hilarious. At the same time, you'll find an emotional touch as well, also has a great youth appeal. The only part that didn't appeal to me was the child birth scene.

Trust me, it's really worth it.

Last edited:
I watched this yesterday and thought it was utter rubbish.

I think Aamer Khan is a fine actor and I have watched quite a few of his films over the years. This film however made me cringe and at times it was embarassing.

I could see the message that the film was trying to portray, but the unfunny comedy attempts turned the film into a farce.

I thought the acting from the professor was the only good thing about the film.

Finally after resisting for few days, I finally agree to watch this movie tonight. Though I am not a big fan of Bollywood crap but I don't mind watching Amir Khan movies, but boy this movie is utter rubbish. I guess I was expecting too much from Amir Khan movie but I am very disappointed with this piece of garbage. Here goes another lost confidence in Bollywood masala movies. The subject is good but overacting and crappy direction make this one of the idiotic movies of 2009. I just wish that Shahrukh or any other OVERactor have done this movie ( so I can totally avoid it). The only movie (Hindi) I watched in 2009 is this crap and I am very disappointed.

Note to Indian fans: It is way over the top for even an Indian comedy standards aka Johnny Lever etc.

Last edited:
I enjoyed the movie. I thought it was extremely funny and the acting was quite good. Not the best bollywood movie of the year but it was good.

simply brilliant! i know that 9/10 out of ten movies to come from bollywood are rubbish...but every now and then they come out with movies like 3 idiots....

this movie had everything....good storyline...awesome production....great jokes...this has to be on of the best indina movies i have ever seen...

i just 'wish' that one day we can produce a movie half good as this....that would make me very PROUD>..

well I know opinion differs but no way anyone under 30 gonna dislike it...!!! they should lap the movie instantly like the youngsters in India did!!

Maybe the movie isn't for oldies....

thought it was ok .

but i liked the concept more than the product & being a mechanical engg there where lot of characters i cud relate to , brought back some old memories .

I have a friend who took up Photography after his engg , struggled for two years , spent loads of money on course/equipment & now back working in a IT company lol

we had our very own over smart helper kid in Hostel too ..the ragging , pointless lectures , hostel , Lathe machines , copying etc etc ...I could go on & I believe my college was better :D

Best Movie of the year, I HAVE SPOKEN!

its been a very long time since ive seen a good movie, and i watch many. It is better than Avatar in my opinion. My dad hates Bollywood movies, cos he was in the pakistan Air force, but he really likes this one cos its not the usual garbage.

deep82 said:
well I know opinion differs but no way anyone under 30 gonna dislike it...!!! they should lap the movie instantly like the youngsters in India did!!

Maybe the movie isn't for oldies....

Yeah ... because the movie peortays the kind of jokes that go on in hostels during college life. .... no fabricated "high-class" jokes ...
Even my dad (who watched a movie after 3 yrs!!) rated it as "cheap-comedy" - especially the "Jahapanah, tussi gr8 ho..." part. So I dont reallly blame ppl who disliked it.

^^^ HAHA that was pretty funny :D

Best movie of 2009 easily and ofcourse...Aamir Khan has got to be the most professional actor bollywood has ever seen, always spot on

who cares if that scene was original or not, it was part of a bigger story...look at the big picture

and thirdly, it carries a very important message...one that this generation should learn
Do not force your child to become something you want him/her to become, but find that one thing that he/she is good at and encourage it

Oh btw, another thing I learned from this movie was that the best way to correct a generation is to start a school and teach them how you think they should be taught

Was an excellent film and probably the film of the year 2009:14::19:!!! Aamir Khan is truly an exceptional actor who always comes with a very new and different idea:14:.

However, I think the end should have been a little better than that. I think it was a little boring at the end, otherwise a fine film:19:.

The comedy was hilarious though:))!

ok...i guess i am one of the few here being uncomfortable with a bunch of guys dropping their pants and revealing their tight chaddis....seems like most of the guys rather enjoyed that...

mamoo gogo said:
ok...i guess i am one of the few here being uncomfortable with a bunch of guys dropping their pants and revealing their tight chaddis....seems like most of the guys rather enjoyed that...
Enjoyed that? We had to do something similar in hostels during ragging ... so reminds of my Engineering college days :p

Ok, the "Mutra Visarjan" part could be far fetched, but I bet in some colleges ragging does go to any extremes. Ever heard of students committing suiside due to ragging (In India)? The movie just puts it in a lighter and comical way. Thats it!

Hail-Akram said:
Enjoyed that? We had to do something similar in hostels during ragging ... so reminds of my Engineering college days :p
go on...please enlighten me with your stories :D

OK.watched this movie.Sis dragged me along hehe.
Anyway it was good but very cheesy at some parts.Especially the baby+Aal is well thingy and that Zoobi song :po:

The thing about this movie was that it gave you many sudden shocks and twists.
1.Joy Lobo-they were happily flying the heli-camera and showing Silencer in his underwear :))) and suddenly BOOM.there he is,Lobo,hanging from the fan.I just gasped.he wasnt a main character but the way they showed it seemed very shocking.
2.Rastogi's jump.that part made me a lil sad he's my fav character.
3.when they visit Rancho's home.
4.Aamir's identity

One of the main point of this movie is:realize your dreams.
Many young guys and girls especially desis,are forced to choose a profession by their parents.

rating 7.5/10 =]

... Ever heard of students committing suiside due to ragging (In India)?
A 80s film called "Holi" with Naseeruddin Shah (just a side role and I think only big name in the movie) is worth watching. It is about college and the above happens in it. I searched youtube for it today and didn't find it but found some other good movies (also from 80s) instead.

BTW: when some posters here say a movie is funny and post some clips of funny parts I don't find them funny at all. I think you have be used to that humor. This movie might be different but I don't take some PPers opnion of good movie seriously

Last edited:
mamoo gogo said:

O yes, that was very much needless to say the least:26:.

12thMan said:
A 80s film called "Holi" with Naseeruddin Shah (just a side role and I think only big name in the movie) is worth watching. It is about college and the above happens in it. I searched youtube for it today and didn't find it but found some other good movies (also from 80s) instead.
Coincidentally that was Aamir Khan's debut movie as an adult. It also had Lagaan director, Ashutosh Govariker in it as well..

Super Sixer said:
3.when they visit Rancho's home.
4.Aamir's identity
According to the reviews, this was supposed to be the "kahani mein twist" part...but i felt it was more of a whimper :D

Also, why does Mona Singh live at home with her dad and not husband?

mamoo gogo said:
According to the reviews, this was supposed to be the "kahani mein twist" part...but i felt it was more of a whimper :D

Also, why does Mona Singh live at home with her dad and not husband?
because in Indian culture the delivery of first baby should be at the girl`s parental home.

A friend dragged me to watch it.. what can i say? First indian movie i've seen in about 3 years and i have to say it was very good. Amir Khan really knocked this one out of the park... interesting how he lost all the muscles he put on for Ghajni.

Sparhawk said:
A friend dragged me to watch it.. what can i say? First indian movie i've seen in about 3 years and i have to say it was very good. Amir Khan really knocked this one out of the park... interesting how he lost all the muscles he put on for Ghajni.

Where are you these days Sparhawk?

You need to show up for our games in PPL. You are playing tomorrow as well. :D

Hail-Akram said:

Ok, the "Mutra Visarjan" part could be far fetched, but I bet in some colleges ragging does go to any extremes. Ever heard of students committing suiside due to ragging (In India)? The movie just puts it in a lighter and comical way. Thats it!

yup , ragging can be much worse here . our college had uniforms for first 3 semesters for the very same reason .

I was lucky though , it was mostly going up to senior girls and getting their phone numbers etc for the guys .

worst was , in my second or third week n college being ragged by a bunch of senior girls & being asked some really really personal questions , it was embarrassing :po:

My wife & sister are at the cinema watching this as I type.

Thats 2 Idiots for you...hope they hate it!

again I am not surprised with lot of people loving this movie esp. from an Indian audience. The standards of the comedy is pretty lame in Indian Cinema and no doubt they are finding this movie funny.

ali110 said:
again I am not surprised with lot of people loving this movie esp. from an Indian audience. The standards of the comedy is pretty lame in Indian Cinema and no doubt they are finding this movie funny.

Comedy is comedy. I found the jokes funny. Some were a little over the top but then again you can't satisfy everyone.

Too much attention is being paid to the comedic appeal of this movie and less to the actual intention of this movie and the message that was trying to be portrayed.

Back