3 Idiots

kingusama92 said:
Too much attention is being paid to the comedic appeal of this movie and less to the actual intention of this movie and the message that was trying to be portrayed.

Escapism. Sure you live in poverty, but just forget that for 3 hours.

As for my wife, shes come home 'underwhelmed' by this movie about 3 idiots! I love it!

I really liked the film as Aamir Khan has been my favourite actor since his QSQT days! Easily one of the best films of 2009 if not the best to come out of Bollywood! Had a good message and was a good laugh too with so many comedy scenes/dialogues in the movie!

I would perhaps say its been the best Bollywood film I've seen in 2009!

pullshot said:
because in Indian culture the delivery of first baby should be at the girl`s parental home.

Seems like you have gathered quite a bit of information on this:13:......

:p;-)

ali110 said:
again I am not surprised with lot of people loving this movie esp. from an Indian audience. The standards of the comedy is pretty lame in Indian Cinema and no doubt they are finding this movie funny.

It was a movie featuring college kids and had to have comedy at their level. You cannot expect to have sophisticated jokes in it. How difficult is that to comprehend?

Well I find lot of criticism unjustified here- definitely coming from lack of being able to "relate" to the story or the age factor or jokes or in some part s also culture.

Why Mona Singh stayed with father and not her husband? - Wellthat shows depth of knowledge abt Indian culture.
Lame jokes - yes they were. But what's a college life without lame jokes? That most lame joke probably was "How does a DC motor start" and that was the most common joke in our college for a dumb student.
Then some have criticised about guys dropping their pants, but isn't that the most common form of ragging in any IIT hostel in India -despite ragging being a legally punishable offence? Havent you been slapped by seniors? Haven't you bullied juniors in college hostel? Haven't your teachers forced you to memorize definitions without understanding them? If the answer is no, then you can't relate to this movie...
If an uneducated slum dweller watches "The beautiful mind" will he understand the beauty of it? If you dont know jack about India will you be able to appreciate the Indian movie ?

Oxy said:
^ Proof that Bollywood makes you angry!

Nah it doesn't make me angry at all. Maybe because I have not been fed to hate everything Indian.

I think every movie has a different motive. Some have take-aways, some leave you with food-for-thought, some sell you dreams, some are pure entertainment (romance/action/sense-less comedy/ musicals), history, sci-fi (though not in India) and then also utter rubbish ;).

Hail-Akram said:
Nah it doesn't make me angry at all. Maybe because I have not been fed to hate everything Indian.

Such an idiotic thing to say. I despise ALL things Bollywood. Your point is difficult to argue - after all any country that can vote in the BJP, and continue to have elected leaders (who spout a purely anti-Pak agenda) must surely been 'fed' something also...

Thing is - if you come up with a brainless comment, just because someone doesnt like your film industry - then expect some of us to stand up to it...

Geez can we focus on the movie. If you don't like it then you don't like it.

Oxy it's unfair for you to say things about the movie when you haven't even seen it. You are just ripping into bollywood and is that really necessary in this thread? Let people comment on the movie and leave it at that.

I understand that some of the movies Bollywood have to offer are pure rubbish but once in a while good ones are made.

kingusama92 said:

Oxy it's unfair for you to say things about the movie when you haven't even seen it. You are just ripping into bollywood and is that really necessary in this thread? Let people comment on the movie and leave it at that.

I understand that some of the movies Bollywood have to offer are pure rubbish but once in a while good ones are made.

Again Kingusama, my point is though some are rubbish and lose track of the story - each movie has its audience. One hero beating the crap out of 50 ppl may be rubbish for you and me, but there is an audience who enjoy exactly these scenes. And if the movie is catering to these audience, what's wrong with it?

Even hollywood makes Gory movies like SAW, Texas Chainsaw Massacre etc. But they have an audience who like to watch all the bloodshed.

Who is your favorite batsman? Didn't he ever lose wicket on single digit scores? People fail, businesses fail and so do movies!

Last edited:
kingusama92 said:
Oxy it's unfair for you to say things about the movie when you haven't even seen it. .

I'm a hater. You're a lover. Lets leave it at that.

Oxy said:
Such an idiotic thing to say. I despise ALL things Bollywood. Your point is difficult to argue - after all any country that can vote in the BJP, and continue to have elected leaders (who spout a purely anti-Pak agenda) must surely been 'fed' something also...

Any person who thinks BJP's only strength is anti-Pak agenda must be enlightened enuf.
Anyone who thinks BJP ever won even 50% of the seats in any of the national elections must be a great intellectual
And anybody who proudly claims to be a hater ... well i have no words!

Oxy said:
Thing is - if you come up with a brainless comment, just because someone doesnt like your film industry - then expect some of us to stand up to it...
us?
And is this "standing up"? Looked more like limping though ...

And oh, if you by any chance meant that I have been fed with anti-Pak feelings - I am here on a Pakistani Forum because I like it. My alias here is "Hail-Akram" becoz I admire Wasim Akram (a Pakistani player).

Apologies to fellow PPers for diverting from the topic. But couldn't resist replying to this ...

Last edited:
Hail-Akram said:

I think every movie has a different motive. Some have take-aways, some leave you with food-for-thought, some sell you dreams, some are pure entertainment (romance/action/sense-less comedy/ musicals), history, sci-fi (though not in India) and then also utter rubbish ;).
I dont like anything Bollywood either. It doesnt mean I dont like India. It just means that i dont like their style of movie making.

kingusama92 said:

why does Oxy's opinion of the movie so much to you, or to anyone for that matter? you liked it, I liked it, he didn't...who cares?

Hail-Akram said:
And anybody who proudly claims to be a hater ... well i have no words!

Why are you so offended because I am proud to hate Bollywood?

You have no words? Just as melodramatic as a typical filmy plot!

I will not watch bollywood movies as those movies are being used mainly as a tool to promote anti-muslim and anti-Pakistan propaganda

Watched it for the second time with my parents tonight. My father saw it for the first time.

Overall, the child birth part didn't appeal to me at all. And I believe that particular part took away a lot of credit from the entire movie. If only they wrote something practical and believable instead of what they came up with, the movie would have been flawless in my eyes.

The rest of the movie was wonderful. Loved every bit of it. Movie of the year, for me.

Khalil said:
I will not watch bollywood movies as those movies are being used mainly as a tool to promote anti-muslim and anti-Pakistan propaganda
What anti Pakistan agenda did Lagaan promote ?

And for those who have watched 3 Idiots, what anti Pakistan agenda did it promote ?

Ahmed Zulfiqar said:
why does Oxy's opinion of the movie so much to you, or to anyone for that matter? you liked it, I liked it, he didn't...who cares?

I could care less about his opinion. I felt he was unnecessarily blasting Bollywood and not focusing on the actual movie.

Bublu Bhuyan said:
What anti Pakistan agenda did Lagaan promote ?

And for those who have watched 3 Idiots, what anti Pakistan agenda did it promote ?

Not all are anti-muslim and anti-Pakistan but there are many that does promote this hate and thats why I decided to boycott all bollywood movies

Khalil said:

Perhaps then you shouldn't have opened this thread. This is not the "talk about how much you hate bollywood".. discuss the movie or don't talk at all.

Not necessarily do they they promote anti-Pakistani/Muslim propaganda. Maybe on the odd occasion they do go too far but its still a fantastic industry with many Muslim actors incidentally.

Great entertainment, morale's and messages are sent from the productions. Worth my time and money.

Last edited:
Oxy said:
My wife & sister are at the cinema watching this as I type.

Thats 2 Idiots for you...hope they hate it!

They should have taken the 3rd idiot along. Then it would be all peace here. :)

Khalil said:
Not all are anti-muslim and anti-Pakistan but there are many that does promote this hate and thats why I decided to boycott all bollywood movies

then I guess you will be avoiding posting in there threads then? since they clearly disgust and anger you?

moumotta said:
They should have taken the 3rd idiot along. Then it would be all peace here. :)

I thought you had already seen it?

Last edited:
Oxy , you have 20+ posts in this thread , if anything you are obsessed with bollywood :)

jusarrived said:
Oxy , you have 20+ posts in this thread , if anything you are obsessed with bollywood :)
An obsessive hatred? Yes.

i will be watching it tomorrow, home theater at a friends place. have been told this is one of the most hilarious bollywood movie in ages. last bollywood movie i saw was khosla ka ghosla, it was good.

BUT, THE MOVIE IS DOWNLOADED FOR FREE FROM TORRENTS, DVDSCR. :p

Give me some sunshine, give me some rain.....
Give me another chance I wanna grow up once again!!!!

Love this song!

Guys ! give it a rest..this is not SUNNY DEOL movie lol...it's Aamir khan movie...He's like a god in hindi cinema nowadays...one movie at a time, such a perfectionist.

Man!! Amir is really great. I mean who else can make Bollyhood haters so jealous and insecure that they keep on visiting this thread time and again !!

Infact now I love this so-called "anti-muslim" Bollywood dominated by Khans !!

I believe it's a low budget movie but has done exceptionally well and i was lucky to download a good copy with good quality. worth watching.

Bublu Bhuyan said:
I never understood that dialogue. What does stun mean ?
It means people have lot of money but nobody gives it to any body. They hide it..I hope thats the one you are talking about..

kashmiri_lad said:
It means people have lot of money but nobody gives it to any body. They hide it..I hope thats the one you are talking about..

that was it was supposed to mean ;-)

3 idiots is reported to be the first movie to be legally viewable on youtube. Can't wait :-D

Indiafan said:
Despite having limited knowledge of the Sanskrit/Hindi language, I was still able to understand that:)).

Bublu Bhuyan said:
So, did they like it or not ?

MY wife thought it was a bit vulgar - but it was 'thumbs up' overall.

It hurts that I financially contributed £6 towards this film, but my views are my views & I dont force them upon my wife...I think pirate DVDs or torrents is the way to go to hurt the industry though!

Oxy said:
MY wife thought it was a bit vulgar - but it was 'thumbs up' overall.

It hurts that I financially contributed £6 towards this film, but my views are my views & I dont force them upon my wife...I think pirate DVDs or torrents is the way to go to hurt the industry though!

ahhh you should not feel bad to pay that less for your family to watch a movie. I paid approx 20 pounds for 4 tickets, that too in India .

Garuda said:
ahhh you should not feel bad to pay that less for your family to watch a movie. I paid approx 20 pounds for 4 tickets, that too in India .
Do they also provide dinner? Sounds very expensive but then I read here that IPL tickets were going for over Rs 1000 so it makes sense.
Last time I went to movie theater in USA the tickets were like $8 (can't even remember) but preffered ones were the day tickets (shows starting before 4 pm???) which were probably $2 less

Last edited:
Saw the movie - it was aight.

Would recommend that people watch it but I wouldn't give it the rave reviews some others have.

I guess it struck a chord with many because - it seems to me - that the adult population of India (especially men) have either been in, are presently in, or are trying to get into an engineering college. Or a medical college.

The 'ragging' scenes resonated because they are probably a rites of passage for everyone from 18 to 80!

Amir Khan is a fine actor, no doubt about it.

The reviews might just be because out of 20 mainstream Bollywood movies there are 2-3 which are decent to good. We get satisfied easily after bad performances

12thMan said:
Do they also provide dinner? Sounds very expensive but then I read here that IPL tickets were going for over Rs 1000 so it makes sense.
Last time I went to movie theater in USA the tickets were like $8 (can't even remember) but preffered ones were the day tickets (shows starting before 4 pm???) which were probably $2 less

tickets range from $1 to $10 , for the same movie depending on the theater here ...$10 ones , you get free popcorn and Pepsi though

jusarrived said:
tickets range from $1 to $10 , for the same movie depending on the theater here ...$10 ones , you get free popcorn and Pepsi though

Than its not really free ...is it?

jusarrived said:
anyone who liked Five point some one , should read Karan Bajajs ' Keep off the Grass' ...Much better read imo .

I have read 'Keep of the grass'..its just brilliant...i couldn't stop laughing the whole time...I heard someone is already planning a movie on it....read it in a magazine somewhere

My favorite line from the movie

"Vaada hain abse, duniyaa key jis koone mein jaayenge vaha balatkar karenge, ICE ka naam roshan karenge" - Chatur

Saw it in bay area during holidays :)

ace2705 said:
I have read 'Keep of the grass'..its just brilliant...i couldn't stop laughing the whole time...I heard someone is already planning a movie on it....read it in a magazine somewhere

nice man , most people i recommended the book to wer not disappointed .

you will see a lot a similarities between two characters from 'keep of the grass' n the ones in this movie ....Amir Khans lead role & the ugandan nerd .

jusarrived said:
Well the free popcorn and soda is probably worth it as they cost as much as a ticket here (overcharging for snacks in theaters, stadiums etc). It is probably 1st, 2nd, 3rd class tickets there like in Pakistan

jusarrived said:
nice man , most people i recommended the book to wer not disappointed .

you will see a lot a similarities between two characters from 'keep of the grass' n the ones in this movie ....Amir Khans lead role & the ugandan nerd .

Absolutely, I don't recollect the character names that well but I remember it being adventurous, unpredictable combined with rib-tickling humor. I have never laughed so hard while reading lines of a book :)

I am an IIT grad my self so could relate to the situations really well

12thMan said:
Well the free popcorn and soda is probably worth it as they cost as much as a ticket here (overcharging for snacks in theaters, stadiums etc). It is probably 1st, 2nd, 3rd class tickets there like in Pakistan

we dont see many big theaters here anymore , only multiplexes & so no 1st , 2nd & 3rd class tickets ...want to watch it cheap , go to a old theater , but you will have to bear the crowd & uncomfortable seats as well :(

yeah , soda + popcorns would cost $2-$3 though , but not every place they would give this out free ...full house , unlikely !

I watch no more than 3-4 movies a year , so dont mind spending a little extra :)

jusarrived said:
we dont see many big theaters here anymore , only multiplexes & so no 1st , 2nd & 3rd class tickets ...want to watch it cheap , go to a old theater , but you will have to bear the crowd & uncomfortable seats as well :(

yeah , soda + popcorns would cost $2-$3 though , but not every place they would give this out free ...full house , unlikely !

I watch no more than 3-4 movies a year , so dont mind spending a little extra :)

Well in my case there was nothing free. Its just the movie ticket charge.

In Bangalore almost 15 theatres with an average 8 shows per day, was full for the whole weekend. I got the tickets for the last show. Front row corner seats. :pissed:

By the way, any Bangalorean ever tried the recliner seats in some multiplexes? If tried, Is it worth the money?

Garuda said:
By the way, any Bangalorean ever tried the recliner seats in some multiplexes? If tried, Is it worth the money?

No. and the food sucks too

I watched the movie today. It certainly delivers a message about the education system and self-actualization. Way too dramatic in some parts though. It was a good movie...nothing brilliant.

I laughed out loud about kilobyte, megabyte and gigabyte... :))

Absolutely Marvellous.

Bloody Marvellous.

Amazingly Marvellous.

Its just All is well.

It must be an amazing film if my sister who absolutely hates Indian films, loved it.

Last edited:
Savak said:
It must be an amazing film if my sister who absolutely hates Indian films, loved it.

It is one hell of a movie, usually I belong to SRK Fan Club Aamir doesn't convince me that much. But Man O Man is this movie special or what. Amazing, just Amazing.

Watched the movie and liked it. Not raving good though.

And lots of the bits which people say remind them of what happens in ragging are definitely not true. I mean try the spoon stunt with any senior and you are a fool if you think that is the end of that!! But then this is a movie and you dont go to movies to see reality or only logical possible things.

I do think that this is quite entertaining and probably the most I have been entertained after Dil Chahta Hai ( with the possible exception of Kaminey. I havent decided.)

What DOES worry me is that, like all symbols this may start a wave of something that was not intended. Yes, do what you are good at, but unfortunately, not all of us can be geniuses and most of us do need the discipline that comes with our education system. And the truth is, there is just not enough scope for a living out there for wildlife photographers without a trust fund. Survival itself is a big thing for most indians, and third world people. Can we even afford to take the message too seriously?

Other than that, its a an excellent message, if you can afford it or if you are a real genius.

Guys! C'mon..only Sunny deol movies are anti-pak and anti-muslim most of the time..

Back