9 editions of PSL later - We still have no new stadium! Where has the investment and earnings gone?

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
This is what Pindi stadium looks today

pVsihP1.png

Is this what PCB/PSL have to show for after 9 years?

How many more years before fans are rewarded with a decent viewing experience?

Pindi stadium needs to be upgraded. It brings most crowds after Multan, hence more stands need to be made. There is space for placing a second level stand.

Also, there needs to be a practice pavilion aswell. Pindi stadium is soo small that pracices pitches are made on the boundaries which ruins the ground more

Rawalpindi stadium is a crowd-puller venue and by looking at such a pathetic situation of the stadium, all I want to say is that all the investment that was supposed to be used for this stadium was eaten by some powerful guys as well. Corruption everywhere.

Thats what i wondered
The kind of stadium we have is something from 1930s And 1 we are building in peshawar is something other countires would build in 1950s.
While india is demolishing modern stadium to build even more .modern we are stuck with the concrete bowls

9th edition of the PSL were is the money going? Surely it needs to go back into upgrading the stadiums.

Pakistan's stadiums are easily amongst some of the most antiquated in the world. Concrete jungles with no aesthetic value, providing little comfort for fans.

I remember the first (rain affected) Test back in Pakistan against Sri Lanka in Rawalpindi, and cringing so hard at the image of some poor boy with his rain soaked shalwar just sat on a wet cement step in an uncovered stand.

After all that emotional claptrap about no home cricket and that's the image you broadcast to the world ?

Pakistan's stadiums are easily amongst some of the most antiquated in the world. Concrete jungles with no aesthetic value, providing little comfort for fans.

I remember the first (rain affected) Test back in Pakistan against Sri Lanka in Rawalpindi, and cringing so hard at the image of some poor boy with his rain soaked shalwar just sat on a wet cement step in an uncovered stand.

After all that emotional claptrap about no home cricket and that's the image you broadcast to the world ?

Seems we have proper seats now!

But no shade, etc

Why not close this stadium for playing, renovate it with multi-tier structure, then open it!

Seems we have proper seats now!

But no shade, etc

Why not close this stadium for playing, renovate it with multi-tier structure, then open it!
na, the seats are makeshift shadi hall seats. Its still a concrete slab. They just bringing in seats from an event caterer and fans have to pay the seat rent on the ticket price.

My assumption for why the dont enlarge the stadium, even though they have space is because, the peremeter of the stadium or the bottom area of the stands have been rented out to restaurants. A food street is being operated in Rawalpindi under those stands, so PCB gets rent.

If PCB further makes the stands large, there is space so it is possible to add a second tier, what will happen is that the restaurants will lose its space, hence less restaurants will be there, the food street will be abolished and PCB wont get monthly income from these businesses.

Also, when a cricket match takes place, the food street is shut off, and restaurants are not allowed to cook or sell food. Hence, fans only eat chips and pepsi that is sold inside the stadium.

na, the seats are makeshift shadi hall seats. Its still a concrete slab. They just bringing in seats from an event caterer and fans have to pay the seat rent on the ticket price.

My assumption for why the dont enlarge the stadium, even though they have space is because, the peremeter of the stadium or the bottom area of the stands have been rented out to restaurants. A food street is being operated in Rawalpindi under those stands, so PCB gets rent.

If PCB further makes the stands large, there is space so it is possible to add a second tier, what will happen is that the restaurants will lose its space, hence less restaurants will be there, the food street will be abolished and PCB wont get monthly income from these businesses.

Also, when a cricket match takes place, the food street is shut off, and restaurants are not allowed to cook or sell food. Hence, fans only eat chips and pepsi that is sold inside the stadium.

So now for the second game here, will these seats not be dripping wet? Who will want to sit on them?

This is why I cannot wait for Rafi Stadium to be constructed. This will be a modern stadium which should host all of Pakistan’s games in Karachi. I’d also like to see Karachi Kings play their home games there as well.

I’ve never been to Karachi, so I would love to visit the city one day and perhaps watch a game there.

The fact that Pakistan doesn’t even have an international standard in the capital city of Islamabad nor any decent stadiums at present is reflection of Pakistan’s poor financial health.

Pakistan should cling on to whatever little it has in terms of all its dated resources. That's the best it can do.

PSL administration says they will refund tickets for today's two matches that were called off due to rain in Rawalpindi. So, the question is, what profit did PSL make today?

This is what Pindi stadium looks today

pVsihP1.png

Is this what PCB/PSL have to show for after 9 years?

How many more years before fans are rewarded with a decent viewing experience?
itni shikayat na karen , sab apney apney ghar se 4-6 tripal bhej de (y)

This is why I cannot wait for Rafi Stadium to be constructed. This will be a modern stadium which should host all of Pakistan’s games in Karachi. I’d also like to see Karachi Kings play their home games there as well.

I’ve never been to Karachi, so I would love to visit the city one day and perhaps watch a game there.

The fact that Pakistan doesn’t even have an international standard in the capital city of Islamabad nor any decent stadiums at present is reflection of Pakistan’s poor financial health.
Bahria Karachi's development has halted, so Rafi stadium is still going to take 3-4 more years.

Australia's capital Canberra did not have a stadium for many years and just got one now.

All our cricket stadiums were built in the 90s and before. I think Multan stadium was the newest stadium made somewhere in the early 2000s.

Islamabad comes under CDA, and CDA does not want to give away land for a stadium as they are interested in selling it. But finally they did start some construction for stadium in Islamabad in D12 area i heard.

I have been hearing about this stadium for years, where are we with this.

Bahria Karachi's development has halted, so Rafi stadium is still going to take 3-4 more years.

That is a shame. I’ve been eagerly waiting for this to be constructed.

Australia's capital Canberra did not have a stadium for many years and just got one now.

Islamabad > Canberra

All our cricket stadiums were built in the 90s and before. I think Multan stadium was the newest stadium made somewhere in the early 2000s.
Multan has the best stadium yet we never see any PSL matches played. I get that Multan doesn’t have a team but I don’t see why none of the knockout games or finals are played there.

Islamabad comes under CDA, and CDA does not want to give away land for a stadium as they are interested in selling it. But finally they did start some construction for stadium in Islamabad in D12 area i heard.

I hope it will rival Rafi Stadium.

PSL peaked in season 4. Since then, it's been a downgrade. Everything, the crowds, the tournaments, the oversees player quality, ticket prices(in 2020, ticket prices at Rawalpindi were 200rs, now it's 2000Rs), everything. Players like Russell, Pooran, Miller, Moeen etc have been preferring BPL over PSL. It's a damning indictment for the people in charge. How PSL has failed to flourish and its growth has been stunted.
But we get a new anthem every year, so everything's fine I guess.

PSL peaked in season 4. Since then, it's been a downgrade. Everything, the crowds, the tournaments, the oversees player quality, ticket prices(in 2020, ticket prices at Rawalpindi were 200rs, now it's 2000Rs), everything. Players like Russell, Pooran, Miller, Moeen etc have been preferring BPL over PSL. It's a damning indictment for the people in charge. How PSL has failed to flourish and its growth has been stunted.
This was literally what I stated too in a PSL thread a couple of weeks back about the quality and in terms of the players it isn't attracting.

Not sure why people are relating poor infrastructure with ability to host ICC tournaments. If Caribbean stadiums can host tournaments, so can Pakistan.

The real issue is that Pakistan will have to play India and India will play its matches in the UAE or Sri Lanka.

If India makes the knockouts then Pakistani fans will deprived of watching them in their stadiums. Well not an issue but it’s just the reality of the standing of Pakistan cricket.

Not sure why people are relating poor infrastructure with ability to host ICC tournaments. If Caribbean stadiums can host tournaments, so can Pakistan.

The real issue is that Pakistan will have to play India and India will play its matches in the UAE or Sri Lanka.

If India makes the knockouts then Pakistani fans will deprived of watching them in their stadiums. Well not an issue but it’s just the reality of the standing of Pakistan cricket.
ICC tournaments are hosted simultaneously where you have teams being in 4 different cities.

The issue with PCB is that they host the PSL in two legs where they have to deal with two cities and stadiums.

When infact, all 4 cities should be hosting the PSL at the same time and not be divided into legs. Until and unless PCB hosts a proper PSL, the champions trophy hosting is going to end as a disaster.

We all saw how the Asia cup was a disaster. It was successfully dusted under the carpet due to India, and yes India is to be blamed for it, but Pakistan also failed to host a tournament properly and basically bended over to the most powerful.

The champions trophy is in big jeopardy .

ICC tournaments are hosted simultaneously where you have teams being in 4 different cities.

The issue with PCB is that they host the PSL in two legs where they have to deal with two cities and stadiums.

When infact, all 4 cities should be hosting the PSL at the same time and not be divided into legs. Until and unless PCB hosts a proper PSL, the champions trophy hosting is going to end as a disaster.

We all saw how the Asia cup was a disaster. It was successfully dusted under the carpet due to India, and yes India is to be blamed for it, but Pakistan also failed to host a tournament properly and basically bended over to the most powerful.

The champions trophy is in big jeopardy .
I’m sure PCB will figure out the scheduling as long as the Chairmen are not changed every couple of months.

Asia Cup was botched but a lot of it has to do with the uncertainty going around behind the scenes.

Yeah, just realized it. All four are much better than most of the overseas players playing in PSL. How are these players preferring BPL. I always assumed one league that is clearly worse than PSL is BPL. Looks like PSL wants to be the worst.

There are only a handful of top notch overseas batsmen in PSL (VDD, Roy, Hales, Rossouw). BPL has a better collection for sure.

Perhaps those players don’t want to play in PSL because they are afraid of PSL’s bowling standards. After all, Pakistani fans have been saying for years that no league can compete with PSL in terms of quality of bowling.

There are only a handful of top notch overseas batsmen in PSL (VDD, Roy, Hales, Rossouw). BPL has a better collection for sure.

Perhaps those players don’t want to play in PSL because they are afraid of PSL’s bowling standards. After all, Pakistani fans have been saying for years that no league can compete with PSL in terms of quality of bowling.

According to a sports reporter, the PSL in fact is paying their foreign players more vs the foreign players in the BPL but still these players have preferred the BPL to the PSL which is alarming.

Uplifting and Upgrading a Stadium is a minimum Rs 2-3 billion investment. The PCB can only afford to work on one Stadium at a time.

Upgrading 7-8 stadiums in one go is a minimum 5 year project.

More than the stadiums the biggest challenge is the abscence of 5 star facilities in a lot of remote and small cities in Pakistan.

ICC laws mandate that a Stadium must be in close proximity to 5 star facilities.

Upgrading 7-8 stadiums in one go is a minimum 5 year project.
No need to upgrade that many stadiums. Just do it for Pindi atm. It is the worst of the lot atm but Rawalpindi attracts the crowd so it should be renovated first.

Yeah, just realized it. All four are much better than most of the overseas players playing in PSL. How are these players preferring BPL. I always assumed one league that is clearly worse than PSL is BPL. Looks like PSL wants to be the worst.
Why PSL is unable to attract better oversees players needs to addressed! If it's not the monetary issues, is there something to do with accomodations, professionalism of franchises etc?

This was literally what I stated too in a PSL thread a couple of weeks back about the quality and in terms of the players it isn't attracting.
This needs to be addressed. Our organizers should open their eyes instead of considering PSL to be the best league.

This needs to be addressed. Our organizers should open their eyes instead of considering PSL to be the best league.
The issue is that they're not opening their eyes as the overall quality of the league and overseas players quality has been nosediving for quite a few years yet they're aloof of this actual fact.

There should be pop up shops in the stadiums which sell the teams merchandise for those who are flocking the stadiums to watch the games to buy and wear to support their teams.

There's so much revenue that can be generated throughout the country during PSL but yet they're not even capturing even 1% of the market.

what money?

PCB gets 10 per cent of PSL revenue pool. That's it. It probably goes into organising the tournament.

PCBs only surplus from PSL is the franchisee fees.

I don't know who pays the security bills, but if PCB is paying that too then there isn't a lot of surplus with the PCB.

The ICC funding perhaps goes into the recurring day to day activities of the PCB.

So at the end of the day PCB may not have enough funds to upgrade stadiums.

It's a low bar perhaps, but in terms of cricket quality, PSL > BPL any day, any season!

what money?

PCB gets 10 per cent of PSL revenue pool. That's it. It probably goes into organising the tournament.

PCBs only surplus from PSL is the franchisee fees.

I don't know who pays the security bills, but if PCB is paying that too then there isn't a lot of surplus with the PCB.

The ICC funding perhaps goes into the recurring day to day activities of the PCB.

So at the end of the day PCB may not have enough funds to upgrade stadiums.

The PCB doesn't have ownership of most of the stadiums in Pakistan, they are owned by the provincial governments and local administration but everytime the PCB approaches then for Stadium rights and to renovate the stadium, the government demands that the PCB themselves uplift and renovate the stadiums from their own funds. The PCB cannot afford to renovate so many stadiums in one go. The cost of modernizing, uplifting a Stadium on average is a minimum Rs 2-3 billion project minimum.

Plus its not just the stadium facilities alone, ICC requirements state every stadium must be in close travelling proximity to a 5 star hotel. Most stadiums in Remote cities in Pakistan do not have this luxury and the PCB's position is that the construction of 5 star hotels is not their domain and responsibility.

The PCB then came up with a solution to develop 5 star lodging, dining facilities for foreign players and support staff inside the stadiums which would reduce the roadblocks and make traffic easier and this was acceptable to the ICC security and logistics team. The PCB has signed MOUs with private investors for the National Stadium and the Islamabad Stadium but no progress has been made yet.

The issue is that they're not opening their eyes as the overall quality of the league and overseas players quality has been nosediving for quite a few years yet they're aloof of this actual fact.
they know they can con the fans into believing PSL is the best league in the world and somehow churning out one diamond after another and our fans will believe it.

they know they can con the fans into believing PSL is the best league in the world and somehow churning out one diamond after another and our fans will believe it.
Well when you have such a gullible audience then you can get away with practically anything.

The PCB doesn't have ownership of most of the stadiums in Pakistan, they are owned by the provincial governments and local administration but everytime the PCB approaches then for Stadium rights and to renovate the stadium, the government demands that the PCB themselves uplift and renovate the stadiums from their own funds. The PCB cannot afford to renovate so many stadiums in one go. The cost of modernizing, uplifting a Stadium on average is a minimum Rs 2-3 billion project minimum.

Plus its not just the stadium facilities alone, ICC requirements state every stadium must be in close travelling proximity to a 5 star hotel. Most stadiums in Remote cities in Pakistan do not have this luxury and the PCB's position is that the construction of 5 star hotels is not their domain and responsibility.

The PCB then came up with a solution to develop 5 star lodging, dining facilities for foreign players and support staff inside the stadiums which would reduce the roadblocks and make traffic easier and this was acceptable to the ICC security and logistics team. The PCB has signed MOUs with private investors for the National Stadium and the Islamabad Stadium but no progress has been made yet.

The change it.

We have the PM as the GodFather of Pakistan cricket and he cannot see something wrong with the stadiums and allocate money?

what is the cost of construction in pakistan?

In US, stadium is a major cost, evened out over 30+ years of money spinning leagues.

The change it.

We have the PM as the GodFather of Pakistan cricket and he cannot see something wrong with the stadiums and allocate money?
Well in the past, i think money allocation comes from the ministry which was IPC ministry before this month. IPC has one rona that we should be allocating more money to other sports.

However, recently i heard PCB has been placed under the Prime Minister Office, so i think you might be right (not sure though), that PM can probably get money allocated for PCB and not go through a ministry for it

Well in the past, i think money allocation comes from the ministry which was IPC ministry before this month. IPC has one rona that we should be allocating more money to other sports.

However, recently i heard PCB has been placed under the Prime Minister Office, so i think you might be right (not sure though), that PM can probably get money allocated for PCB and not go through a ministry for it
This is a matter of national pride

We cannot be showing stadiums from Soviet era to international audiences and claim to be the top league in the world.

There should be pop up shops in the stadiums which sell the teams merchandise for those who are flocking the stadiums to watch the games to buy and wear to support their teams.

There's so much revenue that can be generated throughout the country during PSL but yet they're not even capturing even 1% of the market.
bro these jerseys are available on the fake market for peanuts. The market for legit sports merchandise is small in Pakistan.

Pakistan isn't going to fill out stadiums any time soon. Once in a blue moon perhaps.

Ideally they should look to develop stadium with 5 star facilities attached, conference suits and wedding halls.

The earnings have mostly gone into the heavy pockets of the security providers. It always does.

bro these jerseys are available on the fake market for peanuts. The market for legit sports merchandise is small in Pakistan.
I know these jerseys and anything infact is available for peanuts in the fake markets there but if there's a demand for the original stuff then that should be made available by the PCB and franchises.

How can the main sport with 250m people not generate enough money to even build one decent quality stadium? I just don't understand.

This is a matter of national pride

We cannot be showing stadiums from Soviet era to international audiences and claim to be the top league in the world.
who is making that claim about PSL and who is buying it?

Mani

The BCCI spent $60M to refurbish five stadiums ahead of the 2023 WC. The PCB simply does not have that kind of money. PSL's TV rights bring in $22M a year - most of which gets distributed to franchises and covers the cost of security.

I would argue that the PSL (with a host of other leagues) is 2-3 years away from irrelevance. At some point, Pakistani fans are going to realize that between the quality of stadiums and the quality of international talent, they're getting short-changed.

The only way to survive is for PSL, SLPL, BPL to merge and reduce the number of teams per country to 2 or 3. The PCB will likely earn more (thanks for BD's economy) and can concentrate resources on fewer venues.

The BCCI spent $60M to refurbish five stadiums ahead of the 2023 WC. The PCB simply does not have that kind of money. PSL's TV rights bring in $22M a year - most of which gets distributed to franchises and covers the cost of security.

I would argue that the PSL (with a host of other leagues) is 2-3 years away from irrelevance. At some point, Pakistani fans are going to realize that between the quality of stadiums and the quality of international talent, they're getting short-changed.

The only way to survive is for PSL, SLPL, BPL to merge and reduce the number of teams per country to 2 or 3. The PCB will likely earn more (thanks for BD's economy) and can concentrate resources on fewer venues.
I think that's pretty short sighted. Pakistan is a 250 million one sport country. Not having a professional sports league for it would costly in the long run. Yes the PSL is not a major money spinner as it stands today but it still gives a hugely important payday to the top domestic talent in Pakistan and tells the next generation that there's money to be made in sport.

To be honest, given the quality of international talent they're attracting, there's no reason why Pakistan can't play the PSL parallel to the IPL. There's very little to no overlap in terms of player talent, viewership audience or sponsors. The slot is available as created by the ICC....the players aren't occupied except in pointless bilaterals so use the slot.

I think that's pretty short sighted. Pakistan is a 250 million one sport country. Not having a professional sports league for it would costly in the long run. Yes the PSL is not a major money spinner as it stands today but it still gives a hugely important payday to the top domestic talent in Pakistan and tells the next generation that there's money to be made in sport.

To be honest, given the quality of international talent they're attracting, there's no reason why Pakistan can't play the PSL parallel to the IPL. There's very little to no overlap in terms of player talent, viewership audience or sponsors. The slot is available as created by the ICC....the players aren't occupied except in pointless bilaterals so use the slot.
The success of T20 leagues hinges on international (or international quality) talent on display. In this regard, PSL is probably #10 or thereabouts* and has gone backwards since inception.

Fans and advertisers aren't stupid. They're going to be driven away by the dip in quality. Even on this forum, PSL match threads barely run a few pages.

What would be short-sighted is to not recognize these challenges and expect TV money to keep growing indefinitely. It won't. And once that dries up, so will the payday for domestic cricketers.

*IPL, ILT20, MLC, SA20, BPL, T100, BBL, CPL arguably rank above PSL.

Chairman PCB Mohsin Naqvi Sought upgradation plan of stadiums

Lahore, 8 March 2024:

Chairman PCB Mohsin Naqvi presided over an important meeting, at the headquarters of Pakistan Cricket at the Gaddafi Stadium in Lahore, regarding the upgradation of three major venues in the country. The meeting was attended by National Engineering Services Pakistan (NESPAK) representatives , Director Infrastructure PCB Nasir Hameed and others.

Chairman PCB emphasised the need for the upgradation, of Gaddafi Stadium Lahore, National Stadium Karachi and Pindi Cricket Stadium Rawalpindi, to be completed before the ICC Champions Trophy 2025.

In this regard, the concerned authorities have been asked to submit comprehensive plan for the upgradation of Gaddafi Stadium in Lahore within three days, followed by the plans for the other two venues.

Chairman PCB Mohsin Naqvi said that the fans should be facilitated at all cost and their ease must be kept in mind while devising the upgradation plan. The seating capacity of Qaddafi stadium should be increased and this upgradation process must be swift without compromising on the quality.”

Last edited by a moderator:

Lahore, 8 March 2024:

Chairman PCB Mohsin Naqvi presided over an important meeting, at the headquarters of Pakistan Cricket at the Gaddafi Stadium in Lahore, regarding the upgradation of three major venues in the country. The meeting was attended by National Engineering Services Pakistan (NESPAK) representatives , Director Infrastructure PCB Nasir Hameed and others.

Chairman PCB emphasised the need for the upgradation, of Gaddafi Stadium Lahore, National Stadium Karachi and Pindi Cricket Stadium Rawalpindi, to be completed before the ICC Champions Trophy 2025.

In this regard, the concerned authorities have been asked to submit comprehensive plan for the upgradation of Gaddafi Stadium in Lahore within three days, followed by the plans for the other two venues.

Chairman PCB Mohsin Naqvi said that the fans should be facilitated at all cost and their ease must be kept in mind while devising the upgradation plan. The seating capacity of Qaddafi stadium should be increased and this upgradation process must be swift without compromising on the quality.”

Seems Naqvi sahib reading our posts :D

Lahore, 8 March 2024:

All that is great but we need to build NEW stadiums instead of just adding some more seats to current outdated structures.

This must be the third time they will be renovating Qadhaffi and National Stadium, why not just do it right once and foremost rather than wasting billions unnecessarily?

New stadiums lack soul and history. I'd much rather renovate Gaddafi and NSK then have a brand new flashy stadium with no personality and history. Take the example of the Modi stadium. A fantastic structure, but it has no appeal compared to the other iconic Indian cricket venues.

They should make a flagship 70k seater stadium in Islamabad and renovate the others. That would be a good start. But they work so slow over there, nothing ever gets done.

How long has Rafi stadium been under construction? :ROFLMAO:

You would think with so much cheap labor that the work would be rapid.

They should make a flagship 70k seater stadium in Islamabad and renovate the others. That would be a good start. But they work so slow over there, nothing ever gets done.

How long has Rafi stadium been under construction? :ROFLMAO:

You would think with so much cheap labor that the work would be rapid.

Can Islamabad Justify a 70k seated stadium? How often will it be filled out?

I think Rawalpindi is a crowd-puller city. Have seen a super crowd in Rawalpindi so 70k is not impossible to fill out. May be renovate and extend the RCS so that it looks more and more appealing especially for families.

Then stop playing PSL in Pindi/Islamabad

This is not only about capacity - it's the layout, amenities, access etc - all needs to be looked at.

You can have an excellent 20k seater stadium.

We also need to build some stadiums in Sindh, AJK and Baluchistan. How about venturing in to other sports for a change?

I think Rawalpindi is a crowd-puller city. Have seen a super crowd in Rawalpindi so 70k is not impossible to fill out. May be renovate and extend the RCS so that it looks more and more appealing especially for families.

The area is too congested. They should make a new stadium and build in parking and checkpoint access so people can get in and out quicker and the city isn't disturbed.

Lahore, Karachi and Islamabad should each have a stadium. 50k seater minimum.

Peshawar and Quetta are too unpredicatable at the moment, revisit in 10 years.

what is the cost of construction in pakistan?

In US, stadium is a major cost, evened out over 30+ years of money spinning leagues.

And paid by the tax payers, not the owners who profit massively from it.

That certainly won't be possible with Pakistan considering the state of the economy.

And paid by the tax payers, not the owners who profit massively from it.

That certainly won't be possible with Pakistan considering the state of the economy.
I agree. stadiums are a white elephants and major cost sink.

Its is highly questionable is the business generated makes for the cost.

Baseball, maybe. NFL stadiums are a waste public money

Back