A pair of batters you enjoy watching bat together

Hasan123

Test Star
Runs
2 past/present batters you enjoyed watching whilst they was batting as a pair. Avoid pairs from t20s leagues.

Steve Smith and Michael Clarke
Younis Khan and Misbah-ul-Haq
Moyo and Younis Khan
Virat Kohli and Rohit Sharma
Virat Kohli and Ajinka Rahane (test matches)
Mohammad Yousuf and Inzi
Kumar Sangakara and Mahela Jaywaradne
Kevin Pietersen and Ian Bell
Joe Root and Ian Bell
Faf du pluesis and Hashim Amla
Ricky Pointing and Damyan Martyn
Sachin Tendulkar and Rahul Dravid
Abdul Razzaq and Shahid Afridi
Asad Shafiq and Sarfraz Ahmed
Asad Shafiq and Misbah ul Haq

May add more in the comments.

How about you guys?

Kohli and Dhoni. The running is just out of this world. Kohli is the real life version of the roadrunner (yes I do know roadrunner is a real animal too) and Dhoni seems to be getting faster with age.

Kohli and Dhoni. The running is just out of this world. Kohli is the real life version of the roadrunner (yes I do know roadrunner is a real animal too) and Dhoni seems to be getting faster with age.

The running between the wickets is great but Dhoni doesn't have reflexes and with age can't play the big shots so don't enjoy that pair as much.

But understand where your coming from

The running between the wickets is great but Dhoni doesn't have reflexes and with age can't play the big shots so don't enjoy that pair as much.

But understand where your coming from
Now a days power hitting has become a joke with everyone hitting the ball around for fun so sneaking runs through quick running really interests me. Dhoni is way past his glory days but when paired with kohli, the two can really do some damage. The match against Australia in the t20 wc was a true masterclass.

Amla and de Villiers. Two of the greatest of this generation and such contrasting styles. Delight to watch.

Younis and Misbah. When they're batting together, you feel content as a Pakistan fan and do not fear a collapse.

Now a days power hitting has become a joke with everyone hitting the ball around for fun so sneaking runs through quick running really interests me. Dhoni is way past his glory days but when paired with kohli, the two can really do some damage. The match against Australia in the t20 wc was a true masterclass.

Very very true. When Yuvraj was dismissed straight away in that world t20 match,i said to my family who was watching the game, this is a bad thing for Australia. Dhoni coming in will allow Kohli to hit the ball in gaps and get 2/3s etc and put pressure on Australian bowlers who would eventually give him boundary balls and win the game.

Mohsin and Zaheer
Anwar and Sohail
Anwar and Afridi
Tendulkar and Dravid
Tendulkar and Ganguly
Tendulkar and Azharuddin
Inzi and Yousuf
Moin and Wasim
Inzi and Wasim
Yousuf and Younis
Sanga and Jayawardene
Younis and Misbah

I hope to see Hazlewood and Lyon batting together as often as possible this winter.

Amla and de Villiers. Two of the greatest of this generation and such contrasting styles. Delight to watch.

Younis and Misbah. When they're batting together, you feel content as a Pakistan fan and do not fear a collapse.

De kock and Amla is also a decent duo from South Africa. It's unfortunate that Ab bats lower down the order in LO as him and Amla/ de kock would improve South African batting. But understand why he doesn't bat at 3 as faf is a very good number 3 in odis.

Mohsin and Zaheer
Anwar and Sohail
Anwar and Afridi
Tendulkar and Dravid
Tendulkar and Ganguly
Tendulkar and Azharuddin
Inzi and Yousuf
Moin and Wasim
Inzi and Wasim
Yousuf and Younis
Sanga and Jayawardene
Younis and Misbah

Anwar and Afridi would have been entertaining :))

Mohsin and Zaheer
Anwar and Sohail
Anwar and Afridi
Tendulkar and Dravid
Tendulkar and Ganguly
Tendulkar and Azharuddin
Inzi and Yousuf
Moin and Wasim
Inzi and Wasim
Yousuf and Younis
Sanga and Jayawardene
Younis and Misbah

Mostly gone for Pakistan and India there. Forgot some others in the same category.

Rutherford and Greatbatch
Rutherford and Crowe
Astle and Cairns
Astle and Twose
Taylor and Boon
Slater and Blewett
Amla and AB
Kirsten and Cullinan

Shafiq and Sarfraz take the cake, when they're together the test match gets a new life imo, it gets entertaining. They play well, rotate strike and score boundaries.

Shafiq and Sarfraz take the cake, when they're together the test match gets a new life imo, it gets entertaining. They play well, rotate strike and score boundaries.

Its Pakistan most entertaining partnership but not the best one. Best one I would say is Misbah and Younis. Azhar and Sami is developing nicely as well.

Hayden and Langer
Tendulkar and Sehwag
Amla and AB
Ponting and Martyn
Yousuf and Inzi
Sanga and Mahela
Ajmal and Amir :ajmal :amir

aamir sohail and anwar
younis khan and shoaib malik
yuvraj and kaif

2 past/present batters you enjoyed watching whilst they was batting as a pair. Avoid pairs from t20s leagues.

Steve Smith and Michael Clarke
Younis Khan and Misbah-ul-Haq
Moyo and Younis Khan
Virat Kohli and Rohit Sharma
Virat Kohli and Ajinka Rahane (test matches)
Mohammad Yousuf and Inzi
Kumar Sangakara and Mahela Jaywaradne
Kevin Pietersen and Ian Bell
Joe Root and Ian Bell
Faf du pluesis and Hashim Amla
Ricky Pointing and Damyan Martyn
Sachin Tendulkar and Rahul Dravid
Abdul Razzaq and Shahid Afridi
Asad Shafiq and Sarfraz Ahmed
Asad Shafiq and Misbah ul Haq

May add more in the comments.

How about you guys?

Always enjoyed watching Moyo and YK bat together.

From their 363 partnership and Leeds in 2006 to their partnerships during the India series in 2006 or their double hundred stand at Kolkota in 2005 - their batting was a treat to watch!

It seemed like they almost had a telepathic understanding between each other.

Haris Sohail and Babar Azam

(Yes it hasn't happened yet, but soon iA)

Definitely not Misbah and Younis. One of the most boring sights ever.

Shafiq and Sarfraz is kind of nice to watch tbh.

Very contrasting styles in scoring but are quick to score as well.

Bairstow and Moeen as well.

Dilshan and Sanga was a classic as well.

Sanga-Mahela :sanga :jaya

Yawn.

I liked Sehwag - Dravid.

(Bowler) to Dravid, no run
(Bowler) to Dravid, no run
(Bowler) to Dravid, 1 run *crowd cheers*
(Bowler) to Sehwag, FOUR!
(Bowler) to Sehwag, FOUR!
(Bowler) to Sehwag, 1 run *crowd cheers*

End of over 53, India 264/1; Sehwag 130* (127), Dravid 24* (81)

Jayasurya and Kaluwitharna
Aravinda and Ranatunga
Ijaz and Inzimam
Yousuf and Inzimam
Gilchrist and Mark Waugh
Bevan and Steve Waugh
Anwar and Imran Nazir
Razzaq and Azhar
Miandad and Imran
Lara and Hooper
Kaif and Yuvraj
Ambrose and Walsh (probably the most entertaining of all)

Favourite Indian pairs
Gavaskar - Srikkanth
Sachin - Saurav
Sachin - Saurav

Kumble - Harbhajan

Hafeez-Anyone, if you think you've seen every possible way of running out a partner, boy you're in for a treat. Truly blessed in all facets of the game.

just to be different Fawad and Abdul Razzaq.

two players that perfectly complimented each other and had a couple of a good moments

Always enjoyed watching Moyo and YK bat together.

From their 363 partnership and Leeds in 2006 to their partnerships during the India series in 2006 or their double hundred stand at Kolkota in 2005 - their batting was a treat to watch!

It seemed like they almost had a telepathic understanding between each other.

Loved that partnership in England. Was brilliant to watch.

yeah moyo/yk was probably the best that i've seen out of the asian combinations.

Younis and Misbah against quality bowling.

When they both are in the zone they make opposition bowlers literally CRY.

I remember how Misbah made Stokes literally cry. :sree Though he isn't much of a quality bowler but stil.

Younis-Yousuf
Trescothick-Vaughan
Sanga-Mahela
Younis-Misbah

Saeed Anwar - Aamir Sohail
Saeed Anwar - Inzamam Ul Haq
Mathew Hayden - Adam Gilchrist
Gary Kirsten - Herschelle Gibbs

Kevin Pietersen and Ian Bell were a very enjoyable pair to watch. Style power wrist-work footwork orthodox improvisation everything in there.

Mark waugh Saeed Anwar!!! Ndver happened but would love to see!!! Most elegant batsman!!! I have ever seeen!!!

Kolhi and dhoni as of now... only bcoz of their running between wickets... apart from class and power combination.... and warner with rohit sharma....

In tests i would choose cook and rahane coz they can bat whole day in tough conditions too and Misbah with M. Vijay as well...

if i could choose from all time era then viv and sachin...

In bowling i wish i could see akhtar and lee bowl together and in spin warne with bhajji in prime.. this off spin and leg spin combo would be lethal

Last edited:
younis and yousuf. Inzi and Yousuf these were my favourite as a kid. One that entertained me as a kid was Afridi and Nazir opening even though looking back they were more miss than hit.

ODIs -

Sachin and Ganguly
Sachin and Sehwag
Anwar and Sohail
Hayden and Gilly
Jayasuriya and Kalu

Tests -
Dravid and Sachin
Jonathan Trott and Pieterson

At present, I really enjoyed the partnership of Tamim-Mominul on 1st morning in Dhaka Test. On such wickets, they scored 170 @ 4.5, with quality shots.

There are many great pairs mentioned here, but one pair which was worth watching, when in full flow was Lara-Hooper. Not sure, how many times they batted together & for how long, but few times I can recall, they were a treat to watch.

On a special note, I think Zaheer-Mazid at 1979 WC SF (Oval, vs WI) was one I'll never forget.

Last edited:
At present, I really enjoyed the partnership of Tamim-Mominul on 1st morning in Dhaka Test. On such wickets, they scored 170 @ 4.5, with quality shots.

There are many great pairs mentioned here, but one pair which was worth watching, when in full flow was Lara-Hooper. Not sure, how many times they batted together & for how long, but few times I can recall, they were a treat to watch.

On a special note, I think Zaheer-Mazid at 1979 WC SF (Oval, vs WI) was one I'll never forget.

Not many people have mentioned Lara tbf.

Shane Watson and David Warner in LO was a brilliant pair I forgot to mention.

Enjoyed watching Yousuf and Inzi bat together. Both great batsmen, wonderful tempeament and technique and a run out never toofar away.

Currently enjoy watching Misbah and Younis bat together.

It's a PAK forum with not many posters outside PAK-IND ........... :(

Good reason but posters have mentioned other pairs that aren't Indian or Pakistani.

Maybe posters don't find Lara an attractive bat. I mean his high back lift and trigger movements aren't exactly eye pleasing. But than again as long as you can score runs doesn't matter how you look :).

Good reason but posters have mentioned other pairs that aren't Indian or Pakistani.

Maybe posters don't find Lara an attractive bat. I mean his high back lift and trigger movements aren't exactly eye pleasing. But than again as long as you can score runs doesn't matter how you look :).

Lara against spinners was the most eye pleasing batsman ever for his foot & wrist work. Lara against pacers was one of the best ever when it comes to timing & placement. Besides, he played every shot of the game; so I am not sure why he shouldn't mentioned. Also, I think batsmen looks stylish with high back lift & wristy flicks.

Mark Waugh and Adam Gilchrist, I never wanted them to get out.
Butler and Morgan's knock in the 444 was epic :afridi
Butler and Root.

Lara against spinners was the most eye pleasing batsman ever for his foot & wrist work. Lara against pacers was one of the best ever when it comes to timing & placement. Besides, he played every shot of the game; so I am not sure why he shouldn't mentioned. Also, I think batsmen looks stylish with high back lift & wristy flicks.

Vs spin Lara is one of the best.

Depends on preference some don't enjoy high back lift. I don't think his strokes were ugly just trigger movements and high back lifts.

Not many people have mentioned Lara tbf.

It's a PAK forum with not many posters outside PAK-IND ........... :(

Because you need to have two pleasant batsmen to enjoy as a partnership, Lara on his own couldn't prevent the ineptness of the other players he batted with.

Because you need to have two pleasant batsmen to enjoy as a partnership, Lara on his own couldn't prevent the ineptness of the other players he batted with.

Yep Lara had to carry West indies a lot throughout his career. Whilst Chanderpaul was a good player he wasn't very elegant, so don't think many will have enjoyed that duo.

Yep Lara had to carry West indies a lot throughout his career. Whilst Chanderpaul was a good player he wasn't very elegant, so don't think many will have enjoyed that duo.

That's what the main reason for not mentioning Lara is. Not because this is a predominantly Asian forum, most posters including myself are aficionados of great batsmen where ever they're from, particularly those that excel everywhere and are aesthetically pleasing to watch.

That's what the main reason for not mentioning Lara is. Not because this is a predominantly Asian forum, most posters including myself are aficionados of great batsmen where ever they're from, particularly those that excel everywhere and are aesthetically pleasing to watch.
[MENTION=79064]MMHS[/MENTION] made the point about this forum being Asian I had a different perspective that maybe fans didn't find his back lift and trigger movements attractive. His stroke making was pleasing though especially vs spin.

[MENTION=79064]MMHS[/MENTION] made the point about this forum being Asian I had a different perspective that maybe fans didn't find his back lift and trigger movements attractive. His stroke making was pleasing though especially vs spin.

Not true IMO, I'll post again the real reason why :

How can you select Lara if the players he batted were mostly atrocious ? You simply can't.

If this was a single batsman thread, Lara would be one of the most mentioned batsmen because that's how good he was to watch.

First Saeed Ajmal and Junaid Khan
Now Yasir Shah and Amir

All jokes aside-
in t20s, Malik and Afridi are a treat to watch.
In ODis Malik and Sarfraz have been doing well, and Sharjeel and Babar are exciting.
In tests, a lot of partnerships form in the batting line up. Misbah and Younus are reliable but boring. Sami and Azhar are making a good duo. Whilst later on Shafiq and Safraz are entertaining. Tbh any partnership with Sarfraz included is entertaining.

[MENTION=141114]Hasan123[/MENTION] & [MENTION=134473]Haroon786[/MENTION]

Both of you missed my sad face in that particular post :(:(

It's about partnerships &, since late 80s, apart from Lara, best WI batsmen had been (P)Adams, Shiva, Gayle & for a small period Sarwan. None of them are actually that pleasing to eye aesthetically, hence Lara won't come in this thread. But, Lara alone was one of the best ever treat to watch & when he was in flow, Carl Hooper was indeed someone like Mark Waugh or Azhar - their partnership was pure enjoyment.

Dravid and Tendulkar, Inzamam and Yousaf, Younis and Yousaf, Sangakarra and Jayawardena, Guptill and McCullum, Lala and Razzaq in their heyday, Mark Waugh and Adam Gilchrist, Amla and Smith/De Villiers. Can't think of any England who have excited me when batting together.

Last edited:
Back