A thread to study words and their origins

Thanks sir! You get the shrey for helping me out:msd.

Aapko dhanyavaad kehne ki kadaapi avashyaktaa nahin hai. Ye to mera kartavya tha :)

P.S.- Instead of Ub chuka there should be Ub gaya in the previous post. My Hindi grammer always had some issues.

The Punjabi word "veyyah" (marriage/wedding) comes from the Sanskrit word "vivah".

Aapko dhanyavaad kehne ki kadaapi avashyaktaa nahin hai. Ye to mera kartavya tha :)

P.S.- Instead of Ub chuka there should be Ub gaya in the previous post. My Hindi grammer always had some issues.

:)

Etymology - The study of words and their origins.

From Wiki : The word etymology is derived from the Greek etymon, meaning "true sense" and the suffix -logia, denoting "the study of".

Just thought it appropriate for this thread :)

From Wiki : The word etymology is derived from the Greek etymon, meaning "true sense" and the suffix -logia, denoting "the study of".

lol, i was gonna post that, and then state as an example

this thread should the called the etymology thread

The Urdu word "aag" (fire) comes from the Sanskrit word "agnee". The word "aatish" (again meaning the same) comes from Persian.

Word "path" from the Sanskrit word "patth". The Urdu/Punjabi word "raah" (path, way etc.) comes from Persian.

Good addition, this.

The word "oven" comes from the Sanskrit word "havann". I don´t think I can quite translate this word. Have heard it though like in "Havann-kund".

I found it quite 'cute' how the phrase "Khush khabri" (good news, or "Happy news" in the literal sense) is mostly associated to only pregnancy in our culture.

So (as a Pakistani) be ready for a sudden moment of awkwardness and silence of you have a "Khush khabri" to tell your family which might be related to your job, studies etc. but get misunderstood initially. :asadrauf

Do we have any exact Urdu word for "contribution"? I don´t think so.

"Unnka bohatt barra haath raha hai iss kaam mey´n.... ", is what I have heard being used.

Do we have any exact Urdu word for "contribution"? I don´t think so.

"Unnka bohatt barra haath raha hai iss kaam mey´n.... ", is what I have heard being used.

Don't know about Urdu but Hindi would be 'yogdaan'.

If there is a word for it in Persian and Arabic couldn't it be automatically claimed as Urdu.

Don't know about Urdu but Hindi would be 'yogdaan'.

If there is a word for it in Persian and Arabic couldn't it be automatically claimed as Urdu.

Unless I seek help, I don´t like it when the Indians tell me about a Hindi word. It makes me feel as if they want to say, "Hey, we still are better at Hindi than you are!"

*Joking!*

Yup, I knew about this word. I don´t think an Arabic or a Persian word can automatically be claimed as Urdu, unless of course it is a part of the language and is used by people.

According to this: http://dictionary.onepakistan.com.pk/urdu-english-meanings.php?eu=Contribution

Iyaanat is the Urdu word for contribution. Have never heard of it :))

Persian! In it, the word is اعانه. Anyways, as you yourself have said, this has never been heard before by myself either.

One thing that I have known since my childhood thanks to my father is, that the word "Punjab" is combination of two words, which being the Punjabi word "pannj" ('five') and the Persian word "aab" ('water').

So the word means "Five rivers". This being so because there are five rivers in Punjab.

Here follows another surprising revelation personally, which being that the word "pannj", also mentioned above, actually comes from the Persian language.

So, "Punjab" is completely a Persian word.

I may be wrong but here is what i always though was right.

Word "Man" comes from "Manu", manu was first human on the planet. There are other varients of man in hindi : manushya, manav.

Also i thought manuscript comes from manusmriti which means written memoirs of manu.

mal as in malpractice may have come from mal in sanskrit which means bad or rejected.

I may be wrong but here is what i always though was right.

Word "Man" comes from "Manu", manu was first human on the planet. There are other varients of man in hindi : manushya, manav.

Also i thought manuscript comes from manusmriti which means written memoirs of manu.

mal as in malpractice may have come from mal in sanskrit which means bad or rejected.

Good additions! I do think that the word 'man' does come from the Sanskrit word "manav", meaning human.

Also, doesn´t the word 'three' also have Sanskrit origins?

One thing that I have known since my childhood thanks to my father is, that the word "Punjab" is combination of two words, which being the Punjabi word "pannj" ('five') and the Persian word "aab" ('water').

So the word means "Five rivers". This being so because there are five rivers in Punjab.

Here follows another surprising revelation personally, which being that the word "pannj", also mentioned above, actually comes from the Persian language.

So, "Punjab" is completely a Persian word.

To add to this, the English word 'punch' also comes from the Persian word "pannj" ('five') - think of the four fingers and the thumb, the ingredients of a punch (where is the David Warner smiley here?).

Good additions! I do think that the word 'man' does come from the Sanskrit word "manav", meaning human.

Also, doesn´t the word 'three' also have Sanskrit origins?

Three comes from tree, (like istree)

decimal comes from dashamalaw.

Dash means 10 which also means deci

To add to this, the English word 'punch' also comes from the Persian word "pannj" ('five') - think of the four fingers and the thumb, the ingredients of a punch (where is the David Warner smiley here?).

Punch or panch is also a sanskrit word which means five. Like panchayat (group of five people) and sarpanch (head of panch)

Three comes from tree, (like istree)

decimal comes from dashamalaw.

Dash means 10 which also means deci

Punch or panch is also a sanskrit word which means five. Like panchayat (group of five people) and sarpanch (head of panch)

Fascinating posts!

Thanks Dhoni bhai.

There are a lot of words which sound (not spelled) almost the same in hindi and english with similar meanings. I always wondered if they are related, cant have that much coincidence right?

kaat & Cut

Uper & Upper

Naam & Name

Bail & Bull (kinda)

Thanks Dhoni bhai.

There are a lot of words which sound (not spelled) almost the same in hindi and english with similar meanings. I always wondered if they are related, cant have that much coincidence right?

kaat & Cut

Uper & Upper

Naam & Name

Bail & Bull (kinda)

Hmmm.... Interesting. "kartam" seems to be the word in Sanskrit for 'cut'. So maybe.... "ooparitan" for 'upper'. Word "naam" as well has Sanskrit origins. However, word "baiyl" seems to have been borrowed from English to our languages.

As a side note, I must add here that I might have got it wrong about the way these words should be written and pronounced in Sanskrit, given that I basically go by the words´ transliterations as I can´t read the Devangiri script.

A question, is Hindi an older language than English? My question might sound a bit ignorant.

Word "peyshaab" ('urine') from Urdu:

Now, the word "peysh" has different meanings in the Persian language and 'front' is just one of those. "aab", as already highlighted above (in the word "Punjab") means 'water' in Persian. Therefore, "peyshaab" in this sense would mean 'water from the front'.

Sorry if this research sounds a bit vulgar, but I had this idea in my mind yesterday and it´s quite amazing personally how most of my feelings based on words turn out to be accurate. Just feels satisfying to have confirmed it.

Word "peyshaab" ('urine') from Urdu:

Now, the word "peysh" has different meanings in the Persian language and 'front' is just one of those. "aab", as already highlighted above (in the word "Punjab") means 'water' in Persian. Therefore, "peyshaab" in this sense would mean 'water from the front'.

Sorry if this research sounds a bit vulgar, but I had this idea in my mind yesterday and it´s quite amazing personally how most of my feelings based on words turn out to be accurate. Just feels satisfying to have confirmed it.

Great Minds and all that

Hmmm.... Interesting. "kartam" seems to be the word in Sanskrit for 'cut'. So maybe.... "ooparitan" for 'upper'. Word "naam" as well has Sanskrit origins. However, word "baiyl" seems to have been borrowed from English to our languages.

As a side note, I must add here that I might have got it wrong about the way these words should be written and pronounced in Sanskrit, given that I basically go by the words´ transliterations as I can´t read the Devangiri script.

A question, is Hindi an older language than English? My question might sound a bit ignorant.

Hindi is certainly a very new language. It came down from sanskrit. If you were transported back in time to 600 years back then i doubt anyone will be able to understand you anywhere in India.
Sanskrit is older than english i think.

Hindi is certainly a very new language. It came down from sanskrit. If you were transported back in time to 600 years back then i doubt anyone will be able to understand you anywhere in India.
Sanskrit is older than english i think.

Sanskrit is in fact considered to be the oldest language by many. Not sure which one of Hindi and English is older though.

'sabotage' (English) - "sabotaaj" (Urdu). The latter is derived from the former I would think.

"I would like to share a story with you."

Whoever out there is able to provide an accurate Urdu translation of the above sentence will get five Euros from me. Promised!

The magic word here is "share" for which we don´t have any exact word given the context.

'You will get your share' - "Aapko apna hissa miljayega."

'To share happiness with others' - "Doosro´n ke saath khushi baantna."

However, the exact word for "share" doesn´t exist in the context of the first phrase.

For the Hindi speakers out there, how would one translate it into Hindi?

Last edited:
The Hindi/Urdu/Punjabi word "nukarr" comes from the English word "nook".

Whoever out there is able to provide an accurate Urdu translation of the above sentence will get five Euros from me. Promised!

The magic word here is "share" for which we don´t have any exact word given the context.

However, the exact word for "share" doesn´t exist in the context of the first phrase.

Guessing here...

main aap ke saath ek qissay ka ishtiraq karna chahta hoon

I'm not sure if ishtiraq is the right word to use in this context but it kinda makes sense. You can give me 5 Rs for this. :asif

Share is used in two contexts. In one context the original item reduces in size like if you share money, and other share is in which original item stays the same like sharing stories, happiness, knowledge etc.

In hindi baat is the word used most commonly for share. You baat the property and you also baat the knowledge.

Batwara is another form of baat which is used if a physical item is distributed.

We commonly say "Ye gyan (knowledge) baat raha hai", it wont be wrong (though very uncommon) if someone says

"Main aap ke sath ek kissa baatna chahta hoon"

But it is very common to say
"Main gyan baatna chahta hoo"

I think the magic word here is story instead. In english the word story is widely used for many purpose. In hindi it would be more specific. (we like to be specific, just like we have a name for every relation even drilled down to the gender and seniority while in english they just mention the category of relation. for example uncle in english could be mama or chacha, grand parents, brother in laws etc are other example)

So, a story could be a kahani (fictional) , a kissa ( real), life story, kismat etc and the word baat will change with it.

Main apna dukh dard aap se baatna chahta hoo. [here dukh dard is always a back story]

hence,

"Main aap ke sath ek kissa/kahani baatna chahta hoon"
is my final entry for the prize money. :msd

let me know how you want to baat your paisa with me :D

The Hindi/Urdu/Punjabi word "nukarr" comes from the English word "nook".

Other words such as Afsar, gernail, aspataal, botal, gilas, topi, balkani, nikkar etc are directly english adopted in to hindi.

Last edited by a moderator:
Didgeridoo is not an Aboriginal name but was actually introduced by the Anglo-Celts.

Some of you are are so greedy. Aren't even willing to help a poor man in his studies and are in return demanding money?!

Guessing here...

main aap ke saath ek qissay ka ishtiraq karna chahta hoon

I'm not sure if ishtiraq is the right word to use in this context but it kinda makes sense. You can give me 5 Rs for this. :asif

To be honest, I have not ever even heard this word ("ishtiraq"). My brother isn't quite convinced I see. I will leave it to others to add a bit to this. Thanks however!

Share is used in two contexts. In one context the original item reduces in size like if you share money, and other share is in which original item stays the same like sharing stories, happiness, knowledge etc.

In hindi baat is the word used most commonly for share. You baat the property and you also baat the knowledge.

Batwara is another form of baat which is used if a physical item is distributed.

We commonly say "Ye gyan (knowledge) baat raha hai", it wont be wrong (though very uncommon) if someone says

"Main aap ke sath ek kissa baatna chahta hoon"

But it is very common to say
"Main gyan baatna chahta hoo"

I think the magic word here is story instead. In english the word story is widely used for many purpose. In hindi it would be more specific. (we like to be specific, just like we have a name for every relation even drilled down to the gender and seniority while in english they just mention the category of relation. for example uncle in english could be mama or chacha, grand parents, brother in laws etc are other example)

So, a story could be a kahani (fictional) , a kissa ( real), life story, kismat etc and the word baat will change with it.

Main apna dukh dard aap se baatna chahta hoo. [here dukh dard is always a back story]

hence,

"Main aap ke sath ek kissa/kahani baatna chahta hoon"
is my final entry for the prize money. :msd

let me know how you want to baat your paisa with me :D

Very interesting! So is the word "baatna" in Hindi? I ask this because in our language it is "baantna".

Baat or Baant are the same thing. I thought you guys dont use "n" in such words hence i omitted it.

You say potato, we say potato ;)

PS. Bant is a hindi word and used in many forms, Like Bantwara is the process of dividing shares, Bataa is used for division ( 4 bataa 2 is 2 )

Bantan is also used t define the process of division, whereas Bandhan is used to define the process of joining things. Basically Bandhan is opposite of Bantan.

I think the word Banta is used for the big marble because it is used to disperse/divide other small marbles ( pure guess this one)

Last edited:
I answered two question, now the money i demand from you is 10 Euros :D

5EURONOTE.jpg

But!!!! This is to be divided between BudMarsh and Lords! So two and a half for both!

5EURONOTE.jpg

But!!!! This is to be divided between BudMarsh and Lords! So two and a half for both!

Waada tera Waada...:asif:amir:butt

Waade pe tere Mara gaya banda ye seedha sadha :(

Whereas the Arabic word "sharaab" means 'drink', in the Urdu language it is only used for alcohol.

Waada tera Waada...:asif:amir:butt

Waade pe tere Mara gaya banda ye seedha sadha :(

Your answer/help/post was primarily based on Hindi, whereas I had asked for its Urdu. In this case, you get no reward at all! :p ;-)

^^ If baantna is not in urdu too then i rest my case.

At least give real mudra to BudMarsh. Kisi ka tou faida ho.

PS. So do you mean Sharaab is halal as per Quran?

^^ If baantna is not in urdu too then i rest my case.

At least give real mudra to BudMarsh. Kisi ka tou faida ho.

Okay, once for you......
5EURONOTE.jpg

.... and now once for BudMarsh.......

5EURONOTE.jpg

Happy now:)?

.... So do you mean Sharaab is halal as per Quran?

I knew about it before as well, but I thought of pointing it out having read it in a verse today, which follows below....

"(The command was given: ) "Strike with your foot: here is (water) wherein to wash, cool and refreshing and (water) to drink" - Qur´an 38: 42.

See the highlighted word. The above verse relates to Prophet Job (peace be upon him).

As for your question, yes, given that the word "sharaab" means not 'alcohol' in the Arabic language.

The word used in the Qur´an for the forbidden stuff is "al-khamr" - I would expect you to know the meaning of the word "khumaari" which is often used in Urdu, Hindi etc., and in songs and poetry in particular. I think the most accurate translation would be, "The intoxicants".

Coming back to the word "khumari", it´s often used in the context of "Ishq khumaari" ("The intoxication of love") in songs and poetry.

* Note: "ishq" too is an Arabic word.

^^ Nice but none of them is right. Its made up for fun

Was just wondering whether the Urdu word "boodha" (also used in Punjabi with a different pronunciation), meaning "Old man", could well have come from the (Sanskrit) word "Buddha" ("The enlightened/awakened one").....

In Arabic for example, the word "Sheikh" means "Old man" but it is also used for the learned men.

biryani comes from Persian word 'beryaan' which means fried or roasted :inzi

Was just wondering whether the Urdu word "boodha" (also used in Punjabi with a different pronunciation), meaning "Old man", could well have come from the (Sanskrit) word "Buddha" ("The enlightened/awakened one").....

In Arabic for example, the word "Sheikh" means "Old man" but it is also used for the learned men.

Boodha (old) comes from sanskrit word vriddha. Buddha (wise one) comes from Bodh (awareness).

The word "Jihad" means struggle and within Islam there are the lesser Jihad and Greater Jihad.

The word "Admiral" has Arabic roots meaning "prince of the sea".

The word "Al-Zahr" gives the Spanish word risk "Azar" and when translated to English it becomes "Hazard".

biryani comes from Persian word 'beryaan' which means fried or roasted :inzi

That´s a spicy addition! :msd

Boodha (old) comes from sanskrit word vriddha. Buddha (wise one) comes from Bodh (awareness).

Oh´ I see. Thanks for your help.

The word "Jihad" means struggle and within Islam there are the lesser Jihad and Greater Jihad.

The word "Admiral" has Arabic roots meaning "prince of the sea".

The word "Al-Zahr" gives the Spanish word risk "Azar" and when translated to English it becomes "Hazard".

Thanks for adding these:).

While reading the translation of a Quranic chapter and its history about quom e Lout , that lived in cities of Sodom and Gomorroh . I wondered if it is related to the Urdu word , Gumrah , which means astray . The word , Gomorroh , maybe of Hebrew language .

Last edited:
While reading the translation of a Quranic chapter and its history about quom e Lout , that lived in cities of Sodom and Gomorroh . I wondered if it is related to the Urdu word , Gumrah , which means astray . The word , Gomorroh , maybe of Hebrew language .

I can´t rule out the possibility, and regardless of the fact whether it is indeed so or not, I must commend you here for thinking deep.

The word "gumrah" comes from Persian. The Hebrew word for "misled", "astray" etc. seems to be different however.

I can´t rule out the possibility, and regardless of the fact whether it is indeed so or not, I must commend you here for thinking deep.

The word "gumrah" comes from Persian. The Hebrew word for "misled", "astray" etc. seems to be different however.

To me ghumrah is like ghum+raah. Literally one who has lost his way.

And the people of Gomorroh had really lost their way , the cities were turned upside down , when they failed to listen to Prophet Lut / Lot ( pbuh )

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

To me ghumrah is like ghum+raah. Literally one who has lost his way.

Exactly! It´s the connection of these two words that makes it. However, "misled", "astray" etc. seem to be the most accurate English translations of it.

In other words, in its most accurate explanation one can put it as, "The one who has lost his way", as you have pointed out.

And the people of Gomorroh had really lost their way , the cities were turned upside down , when they failed to listen to Prophet Lut / Lot ( pbuh )

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

But then you will have to argue that the word Gomorroh got split in two separate words. Thats not the way language works. Probably just a coincidence.

The word god comes from sanskrit word gau means cow.
And some suggest that it come from gotama(gautam)

The word god comes from sanskrit word gau means cow.
And some suggest that it come from gotama(gautam)

Well the Wikipedia suggests something else about the word "God".

I was thinking about this a while back..

Where does the word "Aadmi" originate from?

Does it originate from "Adam" (the way it is pronounced in Urdu, "Aadam")... Implying that we are all from Adam?

I apologise if this was covered before, but just a thought!

Does anyone know the origin of the word Muddai. Does it mean culprit or Person or people?

Is it an Arabic or Persian word?

I was thinking about this a while back..

Where does the word "Aadmi" originate from?

Does it originate from "Adam" (the way it is pronounced in Urdu, "Aadam")... Implying that we are all from Adam?

I apologise if this was covered before, but just a thought!

That is exactly the case, and it´s pretty much an established fact (a word used in Arabic as well as Persian). Either way, thanks for this addition:).

Does anyone know the origin of the word Muddai. Does it mean culprit or Person or people?

Is it an Arabic or Persian word?

"muddai" means 'plaintiff' and it sounds like an Arabic word which is also used in Persian.

I got that result from wiki?

Ah´, I see that others too are mentioned as possibilities alongside that theory on the page below.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_(word)

So we can´t quite make any exact conclusion I believe. "One to whom sacrifices are made" etc. theories sound better in my personal view. Just a thought.

Is adamzad mean dangerous because i heard this word on scooby doo movie like admazad bhediya correct me if i am wrong as my hindi is not good

I have heard "Aadam-khor" which means 'man-eating': like, "Aadam-khor sheyr" would translate into "A man-eating lion." So maybe "Aadam-zaad" has the same meaning (I have never heard this word at least).

"muddai" means 'plaintiff' and it sounds like an Arabic word which is also used in Persian.

Yes, it's an arabic word from the root letters دعى which mean to call. Similar is the word دعا and دعوة

Assassin and Assassination come from the Arabic word Hashashin, literally "Hashish eaters" which was a name given to a fanatical shia muslim Ismaili sect during the crusades because they used to go and assassinate top Christian military leaders apparently after intoxicating themselves with copious amounts of hashish.

English word Candy comes from the sanskrit Khanda, meaning fragment (of sugar)

English word Khakis come from the urdu khaaki because they are dust colored. In urdu dust or dirt is called khaak. The name stuck because british troops wore dust colored uniforms in India. Khaaki came to urdu from persian, where khaak has the same meaning.

Urdu/Hindi word "maiz" for table comes from Spanish/Portugese word Mesa, also meaning table which comes from Latin word "mensa"

English word Juggernaut comes from the hindi word Jagannath which comes from sanskrit word jagat-natha meaning king of the world.

Just a few interesting ones I could think of.

Last edited:
Yes, it's an arabic word from the root letters دعى which mean to call. Similar is the word دعا and دعوة

That was precious:)!

Assassin and Assassination come from the Arabic word Hashashin, literally "Hashish eaters" which was a name given to a fanatical shia muslim Ismaili sect during the crusades because they used to go and assassinate top Christian military leaders apparently after intoxicating themselves with copious amounts of hashish.

English word Candy comes from the sanskrit Khanda, meaning fragment (of sugar)

English word Khakis come from the urdu khaaki because they are dust colored. In urdu dust or dirt is called khaak. The name stuck because british troops wore dust colored uniforms in India. Khaaki came to urdu from persian, where khaak has the same meaning.

Urdu/Hindi word "maiz" for table comes from Spanish/Portugese word Mesa, also meaning table which comes from Latin word "mensa"

English word Juggernaut comes from the hindi word Jagannath which comes from sanskrit word jagat-natha meaning king of the world.

Just a few interesting ones I could think of.

Today´s award goes to you! Some stunning revelations for me! Wow!

English word Candy comes from the sanskrit Khanda, meaning fragment (of sugar).

To add to this, the Punjabi word for sugar is "khannd" which of course must have come from the aforementioned Sanskrit word.

Last edited:
Just discovered today that when written with a ط, the word "talaaq" means 'divorce' in Arabic, but with a ت it has a different meaning. Both these alphabets of course stand for T. I read this word today in verse 40:15 of the Qur´an.

Muhammad Asad, Abdullah Yusuf Ali, Abdul Daryabadi and Marmaduke Pickthall translate the word as "meeting" in their respective translation of the Qur´an.

I hope some Arabic speaker on the forum can help in shedding further light on the exact definitions of the word تلاق because that will be of a great value:).

Back