A thread to study words and their origins

تلاق comes from the root letters ل ق ي which denote the meaning of coming together, meeting. You can probably think of many words in urdu from the same root letters. ملاقات being one.

تلاق comes from the root letters ل ق ي which denote the meaning of coming together, meeting. You can probably think of many words in urdu from the same root letters. ملاقات being one.

Thank you for this useful piece of information!

I think اخلاق is arabic too.

It is, and is also used in Persian.

What about the word چوھدری? What is the origin of it?

What about the word چوھدری? What is the origin of it?

Sanskrit!

The word "Chaudhary" is derived from the sanskrit word "Chatur Dhrit" meaning "One who holds all the four Varnas (groups) of society" i.e. respected by all.

Sources:
Auntie Wiki.

Came across this in wiki explaining the origin of Urdu word for woman. Can some one confirm if it is true.

In Arabic, the term 'awrah or 'awrat (Arabic: عورة‎) derives from the root ‘a-w-r which means "defectiveness", "imperfection", "blemish" or "weakness". However, the most common English translation is "nakedness".[7]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intimate_parts_(Islam)

Last edited:
Sanskrit!

The word "Chaudhary" is derived from the sanskrit word "Chatur Dhrit" meaning "One who holds all the four Varnas (groups) of society" i.e. respected by all.

Sources:
Auntie Wiki.

Other explanations are

Like we say idhar udhar, the one who is on all four sides (famous or influential) is chau-dhar

Another one is Chau means four, dhar mean earth or dharti, so the one who is all over the land influentially is a chaudhary.

Came across this in wiki explaining the origin of Urdu word for woman. Can some one confirm if it is true.

In Arabic, the term 'awrah or 'awrat (Arabic: عورة‎) derives from the root ‘a-w-r which means "defectiveness", "imperfection", "blemish" or "weakness". However, the most common English translation is "nakedness".[7]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intimate_parts_(Islam)

no wonder than they are covered.:moyo

I find it quite interesting that a hawker is called "Houka laan wala" in Punjabi.

One very interesting word but I would need some Arabic-speakers help on this one. First of all, let´s insert the relevant verse of the Qur´an before we proceed.....

"Then they turned away from him, and said, "(He is) tutored, crazy" - 44:14.

Regarding the Arabic word that has been used here for "crazy", it is "Majnoon". I think the name for the lover Majnu (of the story 'Laila-Majnu') is probably derived from this word.

Also, even if you read about the lover, he was called "Majnoon" in Arabic since he was mad about Laila, the girl, his name otherwise was Qays. No idea why we people in Pakistan and India call it/him "Majnu" and omit the N from it.

Any further help from any Arabic-speaker will be really appreciated:).

Last edited:
The Urdu word "feesadd" ('percent') comes from Persian.

"fee" - each, per.

"sadd" - hundred.

In other words, it means "Per hundred".

Whichever language the word originates from, the Urdu word "chaaku" ('dagger') must be holding a connection with the word "chaak", which I think can be translated as "To rip".

Note: "chaaku" is a Persian word, so is "chaak":).

Last edited:
One very interesting word but I would need some Arabic-speakers help on this one. First of all, let´s insert the relevant verse of the Qur´an before we proceed.....

"Then they turned away from him, and said, "(He is) tutored, crazy" - 44:14.

Regarding the Arabic word that has been used here for "crazy", it is "Majnoon". I think the name for the lover Majnu (of the story 'Laila-Majnu') is probably derived from this word.

Also, even if you read about the lover, he was called "Majnoon" in Arabic since he was mad about Laila, the girl, his name otherwise was Qays. No idea why we people in Pakistan and India call it/him "Majnu" and omit the N from it.

Any further help from any Arabic-speaker will be really appreciated:).

Hence, the Arabic (Persian and Urdu) word "junoon" also holds a connection with the above word.

Some sanskrit words used in Urdu/Hindi

Safed (White) : Shweth
Hafta (week) : Saptah
Barkha (rain) : Varsha
Praa (brother) : Bratha
Suraj (sun) : Surya
Chand (moon) : Chandrama
Haath (hand) : Hasth
Kaam (work) : karm
Kutta (dog) : Kukkur
Kauwa(crow) : kaaga
jeeb (tongue) : jeeviya
Raat (night) : Raatri
Din (day) : Dinak
Aik (one) : aikam
Do (two) : Dwi
Teen (3) : Tre
Char, 4 : Chatur
Paanch,5 : Pancham
Chhe,6 : Shash
Saat,7 : Sapta
Aaath,8 : Ashtam
Nau,9 : Navam
Das,10 : Dasham
Gaay (cow) : Gau
Log (People) : Lok'a
Dood (milk) : Dugdha
Bahen (sister) : Baghini
Nayaa (new) : Naveen
Patta (leaf) : Patra
Kaan (ear) : Karn
Naakh (Nose) : Naasika
Baazu (arm) : Bujha/Baahu
Daud (run) : Druta
Kandha (Shoulder) : Skhandha
Gardhan (Neck) : Kandhara
Ungli (finger) : Anguli
Som (Monday) : Somavar
Mangal (Tuesday) : Mangalvar
Budh (Wednesday) : Budhvar
Khaana (to eat) : Khaadati (Khaad)
Tyarna (to swim) : Tarati
Peena (to drink) : Pibati
Panchhi (bird) : Pakshi

some more additions of sanskrit words in Hindi/urdu

taj mahal : tejo mahalaya
desh (country): desh
neend(sleep): nidraa
jaagna(waking up): jaagran
haasna(laughing): haasya
maut (death): mrutyu
tara (star): tara
parr (but): parantu
sukh (happiness): sukh
dukh (sadness): dukh
chumnaa (kissing): chumban
janam (birth): janma
natak (drama): naatya
naach (dance): nrutya
samundar (ocean): samudra
saans (breath): shwaas
sthan (place): sthan
daant (teeth): dant
dantmanjan (toothpaste): dantmanjan
mooh (face): mukh
saap (snake): sarpa
naag (snake): naag
haath (hand): hastha
raj (rule): rajya
raja (king): raja

and many more. I will update when i found out new words and when i get time. Hope you enjoy my post.:sachin

Some sanskrit words used in Urdu/Hindi

Safed (White) : Shweth
Hafta (week) : Saptah
Barkha (rain) : Varsha
Praa (brother) : Bratha
Suraj (sun) : Surya
Chand (moon) : Chandrama
Haath (hand) : Hasth
Kaam (work) : karm
Kutta (dog) : Kukkur
Kauwa(crow) : kaaga
jeeb (tongue) : jeeviya
Raat (night) : Raatri
Din (day) : Dinak
Aik (one) : aikam
Do (two) : Dwi
Teen (3) : Tre
Char, 4 : Chatur
Paanch,5 : Pancham
Chhe,6 : Shash
Saat,7 : Sapta
Aaath,8 : Ashtam
Nau,9 : Navam
Das,10 : Dasham
Gaay (cow) : Gau
Log (People) : Lok'a
Dood (milk) : Dugdha
Bahen (sister) : Baghini
Nayaa (new) : Naveen
Patta (leaf) : Patra
Kaan (ear) : Karn
Naakh (Nose) : Naasika
Baazu (arm) : Bujha/Baahu
Daud (run) : Druta
Kandha (Shoulder) : Skhandha
Gardhan (Neck) : Kandhara
Ungli (finger) : Anguli
Som (Monday) : Somavar
Mangal (Tuesday) : Mangalvar
Budh (Wednesday) : Budhvar
Khaana (to eat) : Khaadati (Khaad)
Tyarna (to swim) : Tarati
Peena (to drink) : Pibati
Panchhi (bird) : Pakshi

some more additions of sanskrit words in Hindi/urdu

taj mahal : tejo mahalaya
desh (country): desh
neend(sleep): nidraa
jaagna(waking up): jaagran
haasna(laughing): haasya
maut (death): mrutyu
tara (star): tara
parr (but): parantu
sukh (happiness): sukh
dukh (sadness): dukh
chumnaa (kissing): chumban
janam (birth): janma
natak (drama): naatya
naach (dance): nrutya
samundar (ocean): samudra
saans (breath): shwaas
sthan (place): sthan
daant (teeth): dant
dantmanjan (toothpaste): dantmanjan
mooh (face): mukh
saap (snake): sarpa
naag (snake): naag
haath (hand): hastha
raj (rule): rajya
raja (king): raja

and many more. I will update when i found out new words and when i get time. Hope you enjoy my post.:sachin

Amazing posts:14:!

Could the Urdu word "hum" have come from the word "homo"? Just consider the Urdu word´s usage in phrases like "Hum-safar", "Hum-raahi", "Hum-jins-prasti" etc.

Continuing with it, many suggest that the Latin word "homo" means "man", "human", "person" or even "same". Now, my idea would begin to make sense if you just consider the last of all the translations provided in the list.

I apologise in advance if it sounds any perverse.

The Persian word for "corpse" is "Laasha", the Urdu word is "laash".

Now here is something even more interesting, the German word is "Leiche", pronounced like "lai-shay".

The Urdu word "tezaab" ("acid") is a Persian word.

The word "teyz" has many translations such as "sharp", "hot" etc., and as has been clarified already in this thread, the word "aab" means "water".

Hence, "tezaab" would literally mean "Hot water" in the given context.

However, there seem to be other Persian terms existent for "acid" as well.

Could the Urdu word "hum" have come from the word "homo"? Just consider the Urdu word´s usage in phrases like "Hum-safar", "Hum-raahi", "Hum-jins-prasti" etc.

Continuing with it, many suggest that the Latin word "homo" means "man", "human", "person" or even "same". Now, my idea would begin to make sense if you just consider the last of all the translations provided in the list.

I apologise in advance if it sounds any perverse.

To figure out hum you need to also look tum which is a related word. They rhyme and means similar thing in a context.

aham in sanskrit means "Me", tvam means "you".

Its entirelly possible that aham became ham/hum for plural just like tvam became tum.

though for "we" there is a word in sanskrit called "vayam" but its not difficult that "me" got fused with "we" to sound like "you"

To figure out hum you need to also look tum which is a related word. They rhyme and means similar thing in a context.

Its entirelly possible that aham became ham/hum for plural just like tvam became tum.

though for "we" there is a word in sanskrit called "vayam" but its not difficult that "me" got fused with "we" to sound like "you"

Makes sense. Hence, "hum" as well as "tum" must have come from Sanskrit.

I think the hum in hum safar is different from hum in hum log. The first one is one you share something with, the latter one is for 'us' as mentioned.

I think the hum in hum safar is different from hum in hum log. The first one is one you share something with, the latter one is for 'us' as mentioned.

Exactly what I am failing to explain in words, hence let it be!

"Kindergarten" and "Blitzkrieg" by the way are German words. However, originally they might be combinations of words borrowed from another language such as Latin (can´t confirm it though).

Here´s what scholar Muhammad Asad writes in his commentary of the verse 45:18 of the Qur´an......

"It is to be borne in mind that the literal meaning of the term "shariah" is "the way to a watering-place", and since water is indispensable for all organic life, this term has in time come to denote a "system of laws", both moral and practical, which shows man the way towards spiritual fulfillment and social welfare: hence, "religious law" in the widest sense of the term."

It´s in his note 18 of that chapter. Mind blowing revelation!

The Urdu word "najoomi" ("astrologer") comes from the Arabic word "najm" ("star").

This makes me conclude the reason behind the prophecies that Najm Sethi makes in his programme:najam.

Back to the topic, the Arabic term used for "astrology" is "Ilm al-najoom", meaning, "The knowledge of astrology".

In the Qur´an, the word used for Christians is "nassara", which would actually mean, "The Nazarenes", related to Nazareth, the childhood home of Jesus Christ (peace be upon him). It´s a plural form of the word "nasraani", meaning "Nazarene".

Now, the exact Arabic word for the word "Christian" would be, "Masihi". However, I am pretty sure that this term is not used in the Qur´an at least.

"Kindergarten" and "Blitzkrieg" by the way are German words. However, originally they might be combinations of words borrowed from another language such as Latin (can´t confirm it though).

Kindergarten means garden for kids, right?

My favorite German phrase borrowed into English is Wunderbar. Popularized by the Wonderbra line of push-up brassieres.

In the Qur´an, the word used for Christians is "nassara", which would actually mean, "The Nazarenes", related to Nazareth, the childhood home of Jesus Christ (peace be upon him). It´s a plural form of the word "nasraani", meaning "Nazarene".

Now, the exact Arabic word for the word "Christian" would be, "Masihi". However, I am pretty sure that this term is not used in the Qur´an at least.

the word for christian is not masihi, but masih

the word for christian is not masihi, but masih

But doesn´t "masih" mean "Christ"/"Messiah" itself? I am sure on this.

Please reply.

Last edited:

Please reply.

You are right. Masihi are followers of Masih who is Lord Christ.

Similarly, Mohammedan is another word for muslim which means follower of prophet muhammad.

You are right. Masihi are followers of Masih who is Lord Christ.

Similarly, Mohammedan is another word for muslim which means follower of prophet muhammad.

no mohammedan is not an arabic word for muslims. it is a word used in india for muslims

Please reply.

true. But in today's arabic or even in fus'ha arabic if an arab who is a christian does not say i am masihi, but ana masih.

the original term is nasraan for christians

no mohammedan is not an arabic word for muslims. it is a word used in india for muslims

Yes its not arabic. But that word is used in many countries.

Erm, probably not quite as most of the Muslims see that as an offensive term. The equivalent of that would probably be "Jesusians", which as a term doesn´t exist in English of course. However, in our Urdu/Punjabi language, the most famous term used for Christians is "Easa´ee", "Easa" of course being the name of the Christ (peace be upon him) in Arabic.

true. But in today's arabic or even in fus'ha arabic if an arab who is a christian does not say i am masihi, but ana masih.

Now that´s a revelation, a strange one albeit. They are referred to as "Masihi" on Pakistani TV channels at least, which of course sounds like a more proper term than the term "Easa´ee" - used by the common man in our countries.

Erm, probably not quite as most of the Muslims see that as an offensive term. The equivalent of that would probably be "Jesusians", which as a term doesn´t exist in English of course. However, in our Urdu/Punjabi language, the most famous term used for Christians is "Easa´ee", "Easa" of course being the name of the Christ (peace be upon him) in Arabic.

Now that´s a revelation, a strange one albeit. They are referred to as "Masihi" on Pakistani TV channels at least, which of course sounds like a more proper term than the term "Easa´ee" - used by the common man in our countries.

because you dont translate a word literally in arabic :) It is seen in context as well. The arabic grammar isnt the easiest on this planet.

And I know mohammedan is an offensive word, but I was just giving an insight that it isnt an arabic word, they cant create a word and say its an arabic word :) thats all :)

It seems that even the (Urdu) word "jasoos" ('spy') and hence "jasoosi" (the act of spying) too has Arabic origins. See verse 49:12 of the Qur´an.

The Urdu word "mukhtalif" ("different") also has Arabic origins and is found in verse 51:8 of the Qur´an.

Sanskrit word "Dev" for deity, and "Asura" for demon are opposite yet related to the Avestan (old Iranic language) terms for deity ("Ahura)" and demon ("Daev").

Some hypothesize that this pair of terms with diametrically opposite meanings could be a consequence of the suspected split that happened, where a smaller group which split from the bigger group in ancient Persia, and migrated towards the Indian Subcontinent.
Although it cannot be ascertained whether this was a fight between two groups with different ideologies (and hence different meanings for the two terms right from the onset), or the Indian/Sanskrit terms were later modified to mean the opposite after a bitter migration out of Persia.

The word "manshoor", which in Urdu is mostly used for "manifesto", is an Arabic word but has in that language perhaps a different meaning it seems. The word is found in verse 52:3 of the Qur´an.

The English word "widow" seems to have Sanskrit origins, as in that language the word is "widwah".

Well right, I was searching for the word "Persia" in the Ahadith books and randomly came across the one below.

Narrated Abu Huraira: Al-Hasan bin 'All took a date from the dates of the Sadaqa and put it in his mouth. The Prophet said (to him) in Persian, "kakh, kakh! (i.e. Don't you know that we do not eat the Sadaqa (i.e. what is given in charity) (charity is the dirt of the people))" - Sahih Bukhari, book #52, Hadith #306.

Now, I always thought that the word "Kakh" would never have origins from other languages as it so sounds like just a Punjabi word, but the above obviously suggests that it has Persian origins and is in fact used by Prophet Muhammsd (peace and blessings of God be upon him) in a Hadith. A stunning revelation for me, personally.

Whereas the word "kismat" in Urdu means "luck", "fortune", "fate", "destiny" etc. in Arabic it means "divide", "share", part" etc. The word is found in verse 54:28 of the Qur´an, and possibly in a few others which might not have caught my attention as far as this word is concerned.

Last edited:
The term "Yassarnal Qur´an" is found in verse 54:22.

Whereas the word kismat" in Urdu means "luck", "fortune", "fate", "destiny" etc. in Arabic it means "divide", "share", part" etc. The word is found in verse 54:28 of the Qur´an, and possibly in a few others which might not have caught my attention as far as this word is concerned.

Hmm...I guess not too far off then, when we say "kismet mein jo likha tha". Whatever God divided for you in life.

Hmm...I guess not too far off then, when we say "kismet mein jo likha tha". Whatever God divided for you in life.
Exactly what I was telling my brother some 20 minutes ago!

A good example given here by yourself. Makes sense.

I just thought that it will be interesting to share that the Punjabi word for "grudge" is "krejj/kredge".

The Urdu word "wazn" ("weight") has Arabic origins as well and is found in verse 55:9 of the Qur´an.

The word "Rehan", also quite a popular name amongst Muslims - right up there amongst my favourite names:), is found in verse 55:12. I see it being translated as "Fragrant/aromatic plant/flower."

Really wondering since a few days whether the term "rukhsati" is actually a combination of the Persian word "rukh" and the Sanskrit word "sati":13:.

Just a guess of course at this stage.

The Word Asura in Sanskrit and Ahura in Persian are related.

Asura is supposed to be evil for Hindus while Ahura is Godly in Persian.

Also the word Dev in Sanskrit is God while in Persian, it is some kind of Spirit and not a good one.

Read about the above a few years ago. I have a feeling at some point of time, Vedic Religion and Zoroastrianism are the same, but were split due to some differences. Some of those people migrated towards Iran while the others migrated east towards Indus.

I would like to do some research on the words Asura/Ahura & Dev. Sounds interesting.

The Word Asura in Sanskrit and Ahura in Persian are related.

Asura is supposed to be evil for Hindus while Ahura is Godly in Persian.

Also the word Dev in Sanskrit is God while in Persian, it is some kind of Spirit and not a good one.

Read about the above a few years ago. I have a feeling at some point of time, Vedic Religion and Zoroastrianism are the same, but were split due to some differences. Some of those people migrated towards Iran while the others migrated east towards Indus.

I would like to do some research on the words Asura/Ahura & Dev. Sounds interesting.

Yep, I mentioned that in post 204 in this thread.

Really wondering since a few days whether the term "rukhsati" is actually a combination of the Persian word "rukh" and the Sanskrit word "sati":13:.

Just a guess of course at this stage.

Sati is the name of Lord Shiva's wife (another, more common name for her is Parvati). Sati is the feminine version of "Sat", i.e. Truth.

Going by the meaning of Rukh what I know, I don't know how can you link up Rukh + Sati to mean what Rukhsati means? Although given your imagination, I wouldn't be surprised.

Agra.

This may be a myth but "gra" in pashto means land and "aa" or "agha" means "that" or like we say "woh" in Urdu or Hindi. Lodhi called it "woh zameen" "that land" or "agra".

May not be true but interesting

Sati is the name of Lord Shiva's wife (another, more common name for her is Parvati). Sati is the feminine version of "Sat", i.e. Truth.

Going by the meaning of Rukh what I know, I don't know how can you link up Rukh + Sati to mean what Rukhsati means? Although given your imagination, I wouldn't be surprised.

Hmmm..... It's obvious now that this doesn't quite work, but an imaginative person may make mistakes but he will be able to dig out little things such as the below from many words......

I had known the meaning of the Sanskrit "satya" (which must have led to the Urdu word "sachch"), but the meaning of the word "sati" makes me conclude that even the word "Sachchi" - the feminine of it - must be having a connection. Like in....

"Wo larki sachchi hai.... "

.... or.....

"Kya ye sachchi baat hai ke aap beyvakoof hai´n?"

So yeah, we 'imaginators' may make mistakes, but we contribute, unlike non-thinkers like yourself who are ultimately just a burden on the society:p;-).

Hmmm..... It's obvious now that this doesn't quite work, but an imaginative person may make mistakes but he will be able to dig out little things such as the below from many words......

I had known the meaning of the Sanskrit "satya" (which must have led to the Urdu word "sachch"), but the meaning of the word "sati" makes me conclude that even the word "Sachchi" - the feminine of it - must be having a connection. Like in....

"Wo larki sachchi hai.... "

.... or.....

"Kya ye sachchi baat hai ke aap beyvakoof hai´n?"

So yeah, we 'imaginators' may make mistakes, but we contribute, unlike non-thinkers like yourself who are ultimately just a burden on the society:p;-).

We're here to keep 'imaginators' like you in check, so you don't run havoc with these silly theories.

The Urdu word "mamnoo", meaning "forbidden", too has Arabic origins and is found in verse 56:33 of the Qur´an.

The word volcano is derived from the name of Vulcano, a volcanic island in the Aeolian Islands of Italy whose name in turn originates from Vulcan, the name of a god of fire in Roman mythology. The study of volcanoes is called volcanology, sometimes spelled vulcanology.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volcano

The Urdu word "qabl" ("before") and "awwal" ("first", "foremost" etc.) too has Arabic origins.

Very informative post by [MENTION=39010]Munna[/MENTION] bhai needs to be highlighted here......

In urban Egyptian Arabic and some Omanis as well as Yemenis, they pronounce letter "Jeem" as "Geem"(Urdu letter "Gaaf" )e.g. if we say the word Arabic word Jadeed , most Egyptians would say Gadeed.

In some places even the letter "Qaaf" is silent so the word Qalb becomes Alb(starting with a Hamza in Arabic) for them. As per knowledge, they have contrasting dialects in Cairo and Alexander just like Urdu has different dialects/accents in different cities in Pakistan.

^ http://www.pakpassion.net/ppforum/showthread.php?137760-Al-Thread-Al-Arabiyyah&p=6917342#post6917342 ^

Fascinating piece of knowledge!..... It immediately draws my attention to the two different uses of the English letter G: like in "Germany" and "guy".

^ http://www.pakpassion.net/ppforum/showthread.php?137760-Al-Thread-Al-Arabiyyah&p=6917523#post6917523 ^

The reason we find many words are similar is that all indo european languages are related. The home land of Indo Europeans was somewhere around the Caspain, from their different groups went in to different directions, towards, Europe, Iran, India etc....

The earliest texts of Sanskrit were found by the British in the gilgit region of Pakistan

Last edited:
A pariah in English and a Paraya in Urdu are the same thing. It is a designation for an ostracized musician cast in Sri Lanka.

The Urdu word "qarza" ("loan") too has Arabic origins, with the word in that language being pronounced as "qardha", which of course is down to the different ways of pronouncing the letter ض in Urdu/Persian and Arabic. The reference from the Qur´an is verse 64:17.

Last edited:
[MENTION=96424]RWAC[/MENTION] Correct me if I am wrong, but I see that there are two words in Hindi for fasting, "vrat" and "upvaas". Is there any difference in these two terms?

^^ In common usage you can use them as synonyms. Vrat means to be determined to do something. Fasting is a vrat also. You can take vrat of doing other things as well. However vrat now a days is used for fasting . Where as upvas exclusive means fasting which is fasting of food. Vrats are non food type fasting also. Maun vrat means fasting from speaking in which you dont speak a word for specified number of days.

^^ In common usage you can use them as synonyms. Vrat means to be determined to do something. Fasting is a vrat also. You can take vrat of doing other things as well. However vrat now a days is used for fasting . Where as upvas exclusive means fasting which is fasting of food. Vrats are non food type fasting also. Maun vrat means fasting from speaking in which you dont speak a word for specified number of days.

Thanks for the help, sir:). Very, very helpful. I had known about the concept of Moun vrat through films etc.

I least expected the word "nasl" ("lineage", "generation", "progeny" etc.) to have Arabic origins, but as it stands, verse 2:205 of the Qur´an confirms of it being so.

[MENTION=96424]RWAC[/MENTION] Correct me if I am wrong, but I see that there are two words in Hindi for fasting, "vrat" and "upvaas". Is there any difference in these two terms?

Upvaas is a fast specifically for religion purposes.It literally means ,"Stay close to God"

Vrat is a broader meaning fasting for anything including health.It includes terms like ,"Maun vrat"

Both are used interchangeably though :)

Upvaas is a fast specifically for religion purposes.It literally means ,"Stay close to God"

Vrat is a broader meaning fasting for anything including health.It includes terms like ,"Maun vrat"

Both are used interchangeably though :)

Thank you, my brother:19:!

The word 'aish' (which means to enjoy or live well) comes from the arabic word maAAayish. In fact the word maAAayish is also used in the Quran in Surat Al-Araf, Verse no. 10.

I did not know this and it came to me as a surprise.

Due to how the word sounds, I least expected the word "shakk" to have Arabic origins, but verse 4:157 of the Qur´an suggests so.

The word 'aish' (which means to enjoy or live well) comes from the arabic word maAAayish. In fact the word maAAayish is also used in the Quran in Surat Al-Araf, Verse no. 10.

I did not know this and it came to me as a surprise.

I suppose the name "Aisha" originates from this word, isn´t it?

Due to how the word sounds, I least expected the word "shakk" to have Arabic origins, but verse 4:157 of the Qur´an suggests so.

I suppose the name "Aisha" originates from this word, isn´t it?

"shakk" means doubt?

Not sure if Aisha originates from maAAayish.

Back