A walk down memory lane.....(Sharjah Cricket Stadium)

ItsMeK1

First Class Captain
Runs
On a bright and typically hot day, PakPassion.net were given a unique opportunity to visit the famed venue of many a Pakistani victory of the past, The Sharjah Stadium.

For those who are too young to know of the rich history of this stadium, the Sharjah Cricket Stadium holds many unique records. It is one of the first grounds which had the honour of hosting a Test match where the home country was not the host. It is also the only stadium which has hosted a Test match in a non Test playing nation. It has, in the overall, hosted 198 ODIs which is a tremendous record in itself.

During this visit to what used to be akin to a pilgrimage in the 80s, PakPassion.net were witness to the preparations for the upcoming Test and ODI games between Pakistan and Sri Lanka.

It was clear to us that a great deal of effort had been put in by the authorities to get this special stadium ready once again for all of us. For the romantics amongst us, the Miandad last ball six is a forever reminder of the beauty of this game and it was great to see this venue being restored to its original beauty

To fully appreciate the hard work put in by the authorities, one should contrast the current state of this stadium with that which was reported to us by our very own MIG, who visited the same venue in 2004.

http://www.geocities.com/men_green_pakistan/MenInGreenGoesToSharjah.html

With the Pakistan V Sri Lanka series upon us, its heartening to see that this venue and its facilities have been restored to its former top notch status – all it needs now is the support of the paying public and the glory days of old will be upon us in no time !

On behalf of Pakpassion.net and its members I would like to thank Mr Mazhar Khan and Mr Ali Anwar for all their help in facilitating this trip to Sharjah Cricket Stadium.

Pakistan and Sri Lanka will play 3rd Test Match from the 3-7th November and 4th ODI on 20th November, 2011

New canopy being set on East Stand's roof

Attachments

• IMG_9629.jpg
    IMG_9629.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 759
Famous open air commentary boxes with media rooms in the back ground

Attachments

• IMG_9630.jpg
    IMG_9630.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 2,316
Sharjah Sports Club end which is between two sides of General Stand which was also known as North Stand

Attachments

• IMG_9631.jpg
    IMG_9631.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 682
North Stand with new Canopy and Benches for spactators

Attachments

• IMG_9632.jpg
    IMG_9632.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 4,220
Electronic scoreboard and replay screen above North Stand

Attachments

• IMG_9633.jpg
    IMG_9633.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 628
another Electronic board above East Stand

Attachments

• IMG_9634.jpg
    IMG_9634.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 626
Place for Sponsors

Attachments

• IMG_9635.jpg
    IMG_9635.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 516
All new seats in famous West Stand which was formerly known as West Stand B

Attachments

• IMG_9636.jpg
    IMG_9636.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 557
Media Room on the top

Attachments

• IMG_9637.jpg
    IMG_9637.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 669
Commentary boxes where likes of Chisty Mujahid used to spread their magic

Attachments

• IMG_9638.jpg
    IMG_9638.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 616
Entrance of Team's dressing rooms

Attachments

• IMG_9646.jpg
    IMG_9646.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 586
Famous Player Enclosure stand , here people sit right next to players with only a fence between them

Attachments

• IMG_9647.jpg
    IMG_9647.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 621
Commentary boxes

Attachments

• IMG_9648.jpg
    IMG_9648.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 624
All new fans, seats for VIP Spectators

Attachments

• IMG_9649.jpg
    IMG_9649.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 598
Sight Screen on CBFS end

Attachments

• IMG_9650.jpg
    IMG_9650.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 504
Match pitch which is under preparation at the moment

Attachments

• IMG_9651.jpg
    IMG_9651.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 1,978
Roller being used for pitch preparation

Attachments

• IMG_9653.jpg
    IMG_9653.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 593
North Stand and East Stand

Attachments

• IMG_9655.jpg
    IMG_9655.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 645
Main Building

Attachments

• IMG_9657.jpg
    IMG_9657.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 627
One of the light tower out of four

Attachments

• IMG_9658.jpg
    IMG_9658.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 657
Sharjah Sports Club end

Attachments

• IMG_9659.jpg
    IMG_9659.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 600
Practice pitch getting ready

Attachments

• IMG_9662.jpg
    IMG_9662.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 492
Practice pitch in Nets area getting prepared

Attachments

• IMG_9663.jpg
    IMG_9663.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 584
Health Club used by players during training session, Club is closed during match days for general public

Attachments

• IMG_9665.jpg
    IMG_9665.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 670
Sharjah Sports Council office - Grand Stand at the top

Attachments

• IMG_9666.jpg
    IMG_9666.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 602
CBFS Health Club

Attachments

• IMG_9667.jpg
    IMG_9667.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 589
Sharjah Cricket Council office

Attachments

• IMG_9668.jpg
    IMG_9668.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 575
Resting after long and hard work

Attachments

• IMG_9669.jpg
    IMG_9669.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 571
Old furniture waiting to be thrown out

Attachments

• IMG_9670.jpg
    IMG_9670.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 611
Sharjah Stadium's office building

Attachments

• IMG_9671.jpg
    IMG_9671.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 583
Vip Box and Offices entrance

Attachments

• IMG_9673.jpg
    IMG_9673.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 586
A simple request from the management

Attachments

• IMG_9672.jpg
    IMG_9672.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 569
Visit down the memory lane (Sharjah Cricket Stadium)

New seats getting fixed in Grand Stand which is right next to Commentary boxes

Attachments

• IMG_9628.jpg
    IMG_9628.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 3,090
you should change the title to "A walk down Memory lane" Sounds better and makes more sense.

So many good matches in Sharjah. Will it feel like old times when Pak play there again?

Senseless to play the Sharjah one-dayer on a weekday!

Stadium looking good though, should provide for an electric atmosphere.

Many amazing memories.

Thanks for sharing! Can't wait for November the 20th :D

I pass by this stadium everyday and noticed the brand new screen. The people living in the buildings next to the stadium are quite lucky...can watch the match live for free :p

Last edited:
Would love to see a return of the Sharjah Cup....Pakistan, india and South Africa....Tony Greig in the commentary box...laavely (though keep :butt and co far away as possible!)

Thanks for sharing! Can't wait for November the 20th :D

I pass by this stadium everyday and noticed the brand new screen. The people living in the buildings next to the stadium are quite lucky...can watch the match live for free :p

Test matches are free anyway

I don't know whose dumb idea it was to play only a test match there, they should have opened with the t20 in Sharjah, imagine what an electric atmosphere it would be. :-D , anyway still going to shj test match

What the PCB needs to do is to create a whole publicity stream, getting travel agents etc involved to offer people packages from Pakistan - maybe offer free tickets etc

I think free tickets should bring in the crowds....... I was currently watching the UAE Vs Afghanistan match in the stadium a couple of days back............. even for this match which was free, we had a crowd of atleast 4000 crowd.

The only thing was they were all pathan brothers :) supporting afghanistan :)

I don't know whose dumb idea it was to play only a test match there, they should have opened with the t20 in Sharjah, imagine what an electric atmosphere it would be. :-D , anyway still going to shj test match

There is an ODI on 20th of November.

Pretty sure there is a ODI as well....?

on 20th Nov I believe it was.

Good title, sure does bring back memories. The stadium is unrecognizable now, totally different to how I remember it from 2001. I was sat in the enclosure right next to the players and then the opposite end for the second game I watched.

Tickets used to be sold in black (and those too were difficult to get) on the day with prices almost reaching more than double for the North and West stands. Lovely memories.

Sharjah Stadium: Yesterday Once More

Sharjah Stadium vice-chairman Bukhatir believes the venue is all set to regain its glory as it hosts Tests & ODIs again.

Sharjah: As a child Waleed Bukhatir could barely relate to the gentleman's game when his father Abdul Rahman Bukhatir built the Sharjah Cricket Stadium in the Eighties and brought international cricket to the UAE.

Understandably so.

In a country dominated by football, cricket in those days still had to go to some lengths to find a corner of a field it could call its own.
Yet, Waleed loved the game, though not so much for the action on the ground as for the unbridled frenzy and the carnival-like ambience created off it.

"The cacophonous din of the screaming fans, the long queues for tickets, the celebrities, it was incredible," he recalls.

As vice-chairman of the 27,000-capacity Sharjah Cricket Stadium, Waleed is now hoping to recreate the same electric atmosphere when Pakistan take on Sri Lanka for a Test match and a one-dayer here next month.

Putting the spotlight back on a stadium that has been off the international radar, lying neglected and forlorn for years, can, however, be daunting.

Waleed knows this too well, but his resolve his firm. "It's an onerous challenge no doubt, but we are up to it and will do whatever it takes to revive the glory of this place. The stadium is getting a complete makeover. In keeping with International Cricket Council (ICC) requirements, we're upgrading the floodlights, installing new and improved seats, new canopies, new replay screen and a new scoreboard. We have also enhanced the gymnasium and swimming pool facilities so the players don't necessarily have to rush to their hotel for workouts. They can do it all here. It's a complete package for them. Once ready, the stadium will be at a par with some of the best cricketing venues in the world. If it was good last time it will be even better now," said Waleed, overseeing the massive renovation works.

A Hallway of Fame, featuring pictures and videos from the best cricketing moments here, is also planned.

"The Sharjah Cricket Stadium has hosted a staggering 200 ODIs since 1984. No venue in the world has hosted more ODIs. So one can well imagine the rich repertoire of history associated with this ground. We want to put it all together for visitors," said Waleed, now a keen cricket enthusiast himself.

"When I am able to squeeze out some time from my schedule, I play cricket. Initially, I used to open the innings but now I bat slightly lower down the order. I also bowl slow off breaks," said Waleed, listing Sachin Tendulkar, Wasim Akram, Brian Lara, Imran Khan and Steve Waugh among his favourite players.

Waleed said the return of cricket to the emirate could put Sharjah back on the map of world cricket.

Sharjah has not hosted a Test match in nine years. Could the upcoming series herald a cricket renaissance in Sharjah? Bukhatir is nowhere near that degree of optimism. But now that Sharjah Cricket Stadium has got a new lease of life, he's not entirely without hope either.

Sharjah.jpg

Me Being A Member Of The UAE Team Under 17 Last Year.. This Stadium Has Really Changed.. Esp. The Gym, Swimming Pool And The Stadium Equipment.

Who can forget ..... Chacha Henry and his fascination for beautiful earnings??? :p

Attachments

• chacha.jpg
    chacha.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 411
Who can forget ..... Chacha Henry and his fascination for beautiful earnings??? :p

Oh yes!, Chacha Jhumka, as we used to call him. Talked more about earrings than cricket, but was fun to listen to.

Great work Itsmek1

The pictures brought back some wonderful memories. Memories that will always stay with me forever. In 1991 I was at this stadium watching all of the matches that were played between 3 very powerful teams, Pakistan, India and West Indies.

Proved to be a fantastic tournament that Pakistan won eventually with Aaqib taking a hat trick in the final of course.

Pakistan lost their opening two matches and were in danger of being knocked out. Mushtaq Ahmed and Ijaz Ahmed had invited us to meet the squad during a practice session. Well that net area pictured was where the Pak team were, as the India versus West Indies match was ongoing.

What I saw was magical. The whole squad were sat in a circle with Imran Khan sat in the middle of them. We were a few yards away watching the team talk. Imran speaking with passion, with intensity, looking each of the players in the eye, meaning every word, stressing the importance of the upcoming matches, looking at the players to see who was with him and who wasn't.

Great times !

Good memories but one can't be blamed to associating match fixing with Sharja.

It has been claimed by certain sources 25 % of the matches of the Sharjah cup were fixed.

Good memories but one can't be blamed to associating match fixing with Sharja.

It has been claimed by certain sources 25 % of the matches of the Sharjah cup were fixed.

Sorry - either bring proof or dont say these things.

Certain sources is not good enough bhai for maligning a venue like that.

Its not the venue - its the people. Who is to say that the same doesnt happen at other venues.

The matches in Sharjah provided benefit for retired players - once that stopped then so did that (only) source of income for them which is a shame.

Renovation looks fantastic, brilliant to see the Bukhatir family taking the initiative and getting it ready in time!

Absolutely cannot wait!

Sorry - either bring proof or dont say these things.

Certain sources is not good enough bhai for maligning a venue like that.

Its not the venue - its the people. Who is to say that the same doesnt happen at other venues.

The matches in Sharjah provided benefit for retired players - once that stopped then so did that (only) source of income for them which is a shame.

I never said it happened.

I said some people "claim".

You want proof for the claim?

"
Sharjah was at the centre of Sir Paul Condon’s investigations into corruption in cricket. Although the report did not conclusively single out the venue much controversy raged. BBC Cricket correspondent Jonathan Agnew said in 2001 : “Sharjah has been pinpointed as being the centre of this activity [match fixing] and, again, this is entirely plausible. I would swear under oath that two of the dozen or so matches I have witnessed on that desert ground over the years were fixed”.[3]On the other hand Sharjah tournament organiser, and former Pakistan cricketer, Asif Iqbal denied this strongly:”To my mind, all the matches in Sharjah were fair and honest cricketing encounters”.[4]"

Here's the claim and as a human being with free-will, having observed everything at Sharjah, I believe the claims. Of course, you are free to not believe it.

Legend!

I wish I had his accent - so posh! :nasser

"Oh what a maaaahvelous stroke fo fooooah!"

Blowers and his "my dear old thing" :)

Loved an ear ring or two didn't he.

I remember when we were there, we were sat near the Khans (Feroz, Sanjay and their families).

With Pakistan doing so well in the final in 91, I remember Javed Sheikh dancing in the isles near us.

Last edited:
Brings back great memories, have spent countless hours in this stadium both watching Pakistan play and playing games and practicing myself.

From my experience, having played quite a bit in all 3 UAE stadiums, Sharjah tends to be the track that turns the most and tends to stay low

http://gulfnews.com/sport/cricket/sharjah-cricket-stadium-enters-guinness-book-of-world-records-1.899543

Sharjah cricket stadium enters Guinness Book of World Records

Sharjah: The Sharjah Cricket Stadium has entered the Guinness Book of World Records for hosting the maximum One-day international matches in the world.

This book which lists all world record breaking efforts has issued a certificate to Sharjah Cricket Stadium officials announcing the inclusion of this venue in the new edition of the book.

This announcement comes at a time when the venue is being revived for international cricket again with Pakistan-Sri Lanka Test series to be held from November 3 and a One-day match on November 20. Sharjah has hosted 200 One-day matches since its inception in 1982.

Commenting on the honour, Abdul Rehman Bukhatir, the cricket enthusiast who brought international cricket into the desert by building the Sharjah Cricket Stadium, said: “It truly is a great honor to be a part of the Guinness World Record files. It means a lot to us and we will keep doing our best to continue to add to the number over the time. The Guinness recognition is recognition for all those who contributed immensely to successfully staging matches. It’s an honor for the UAE and especially for fans, who are our biggest supporters. We look forward to their enthusiastic response.”

Waleed Bukhatir, vice chairman of the Sharjah Cricket Club who is currently busy with the renovation of the stadium, said: “It was not easy to achieve such a huge recognition. Sharjah Stadium has moved one step ahead of anyone in the world. This venue which has many records to its credit hence deserves this honour and I am sure with cricket being revived in this venue many more records too will follow soon.”

Expressing his appreciation for his father Abdulrehman Bukhatir, Waleed Bukhatir, said: “We will carry on Bukhatir’s vision to take cricket forward. We are thankful to Shaikh Nahyan Bin Mubarak Al Nahyan, Minister of Higher Education and Scientific Research and the president of the Emirates Cricket Board (ECB) for all his support. This honour has come at the right time when the stadium is gearing up for more cricket.”

Bukhatir revealed that today, Sharjah is among the world’s most popular cricket venues due to its fans. “In this moment of glory we congratulate all the spectators who made it a success with their presence. We are confident they will continue to extend their support to the venue.”

Mazhar Khan, the secretary of the Sharjah Cricket Council revealed that the stadium will celebrate its achievement before the start of its 201st One-day match between Pakistan and Sri Lanka next month. As a mark of honour, 201 balloons will be released from the centre of the stadium.

Last edited by a moderator:
Saturday marked another red letter day in the history of the Sharjah stadium. The 28th T20 between Sri Lanka and Afghanistan made it the number one venue for staging internationals, nudging out the Sydney Cricket Ground from the top position. Sharjah has now hosted 244 ODIs, 9 Tests and 28 T20s giving it a total of 281.

Reacting to this distinction Abdulrahman Bukhatir said it was a very satisfying feeling and thanked all those thousands who have enjoyed the games these past 40 years.

The match was also record-breaking in many ways---Sri Lanka completed the highest ever run-chase on the ground and the highest ever chase against Afghanistan in T20s.

T0X5ote.png

2jmD5Qc.png

Last edited:
Back