Afghanistan (115/5) defeat Bangladesh (105) by 8 runs (DLS) in a nail-biting contest to qualify for the Semi-Final of the ICC T20 World Cup 2024

I didn't think they had enough but they proved me wrong
Congrats Afghans, fully deserved. Such a treat to see this team continually grow and improve. They may even make the final knowing the Saffas reputation in KOs

Afg just short of one geniune fast bowler to becoming the No1 T20 bowling attack. Still they are in the top 3 though.

Imagine India Vs Afganistan final.

A war torn nation Vs the financial juggernaut of Cricket.

Warriors Vs Rockstars.

I don't even know if I will be rooting for my own country. An Afgan win will have far greater significance for humanity.
Really if this happens then I don't mind India losing to Afghanistan .

They are very loveable team in whole india.

Every indian cricket fans has respect and love Afghanistan team and its vice versa .

I didn't think they had enough but they proved me wrong
Congrats Afghans, fully deserved. Such a treat to see this team continually grow and improve. They may even make the final knowing the Saffas reputation in KOs

They didn't have enough. BD made it enough. LOL.

Par was 132.

@mominsaigol I hope you are okay because Afghanistan has just knocked Australia out of this world cup.
Afghanistan knocked Australia out 2x, Australia only has themselves to blame.

Regardless ct 2025 is coming up and time to focus on that. Now excuse me while I go onto Afghanistan twitter profile and tear them a new one.

From the captain - BD was going for win for the first 6 overs and then playing normally. What a mentality? Why not just go for semis even if you lose.
I don't know any other team that will go with that strategy. World cup SF spot or a dead win? Every team will and must choose the former. I think they didn't want to lose to Afg. By BD standards they considered this a successful WC so far. They made super 8s and they ran SA close. The coach's job could be on the line and at the end they thought if they can't go to SF, then neither should.any other Asian country barring India. Very timid and selfish approach to.save face. What they missed is, fans don't mind if you lose die trying. Yes, BD fans too

O

Dude nabi Alone beat 45 countries teams in T20 cricket.

And i was talking about cricket fans.

Just because those countries have cricket teams doesn't mean cricket is popular in those countries.

There are 100+ cricket teams but how many seriously play it? Not even 10.

Ban had chance to create history. Couldnt believe they just gave up.. I dont like to pile up on them but jeez what a gutless useless performance from them. How can you just give up > You had a golden chance to be in the t20wc SF - once in a lifetime thing and they dont even attempt to go it. What use is it if they even though ? Ridiculous. Am never trigger happy but the captain, the TM and all the senior players need to be sacked.

As for Afg - they just kept fighting defending an underpar score. But still cant see them upsetting the SA team though. SA is choke master though ! Should be another cracker of a game -- what aWC this has been ! Amazing - probably the best t20WC to date !!
(y)

I think they are determined to stop afg in sf than their own place.Even doul commented that pride is less than sf spot.
im not sure if thats true. BD went for it in early overs.. they lost too many wickets. but they still kept trying until hridoy holed out.. Bd lost today because they tried to win it in 12 overs.. otherwise it was easy win for Bd

Afghanistan seals dramatic semi-final berth amid heart-stopping run chase

Afghanistan has realised cricketing history, reaching the final four of the ICC Men's T20 World Cup. They needed a win over Bangladesh, but it was anything but smooth sailing.

Afghanistan have edged out Bangladesh in one of the most dramatic T20I contests of all time.

Needing victory to secure their semi-final berth, the Afghans have ended Australia's campaign, pinching second spot in Group 1 of the Super Eights. They join India, England and South Africa as the tournament's final four.

The Tigers were also in the running, needing to win and win well. But ultimately, it would come down to whether Afghanistan or Australia would progress, as Bangladesh's run chase in St Vincent went through countless twists and turns.

Rashid Khan won the toss for Afghanistan and they opted to bat first. It took no time for the drama to commence.

On the very first ball, there was action. Opener Rahmanullah Gurbaz was nearly run out off a quick single, only just making it through. But it was a sign of what was to come.

Bangladesh were relishing the challenge at hand, making run-scoring tough to restrict the Afghans to only five runs from the first two overs.

Like the pair have done numerous times already, Gurbaz and Ibrahim Zadran prioritised their wickets, and to good effect. They steered Afghanistan to 27/0 at the conclusion of the Powerplay, but easy runs were proving hard to come by.

Gurbaz and Zadran made it another 50-run stand early in the ninth over, creating a little slice of history in the process. They became the first pair to put together four partnerships of at least 50 in a T20 World Cup.

While Bangladesh did a good job of keeping their opponent’s run rate under control, the extras were adding up – 13 in the first nine overs alone. Afghanistan made it to drinks at 58/0, needing to start pushing the pace more.

The breakthrough wicket came on the fourth ball after the mid-innings break, as Zadran (18 off 29) attempted to float one over long off, but didn’t get enough on it. The 12th over was a well-timed maiden, as more nerves kicked in for Afghanistan's batters.

Gurbaz landed two reliving fours in the 14th oval, but that patch of action was surrounded by tight bowling. The pressure started producing chances for the Tigers and they didn’t miss out.

Azmatullah Omarzai feathered one, removed cheaply, while Gurbaz (43 off 55) was gone two balls later to start the 16th over – his contribution was utterly vital to the Afghans posting a total that would prove even remotely competitive.

Bangladesh took another two wickets before the 18 over mark, seeing Afghanistan at 99/5 with two overs to go.

Rashid Khan put together an entertaining cameo, sending three over the rope and throwing his bat in disgust of the running between the wickets at one point too. But his efforts propelled Afghanistan to 115/5 from 20 overs, right as rain arrived in St Vincent. Australia would join the two competing teams in anxiously waiting to see how long the shower would stick around for.

Gurbaz was back in focus as play finally resumed, but not on a positive note. An awkwardly-bouncing ball struck the keeper on the knee, causing another short break in play. He limped off the ground, as the most dramatic innings of the tournament officially kicked off.

Fazalhaq Farooqi removed Tanzid Hasan (0 off 3) to claim yet another T20 World Cup scalp. And Naveen-ul-Haq struck two huge blows in the third over, including the captain.

Midway through the fourth, the rain arrived again. The second delay would exhaust the match’s time reserve – any more delay and DLS would come into effect.

The Tigers clawed their way to 46/3 at the six-over mark, as Litton Das and Soumya Sarkar settled into a partnership across the back half of the Powerplay.

That triggered the introduction of Rashid Khan into the attack, who struck in an instant, removing Sarkar (10 off 10). The pressure was again on Bangladesh, just as their semi-final hopes had started to rise significantly.

The Tigers needed to complete the run chase in 12.1 overs to overtake the Aussies and qualify for the final four. Back-to-back Towhid Hridoy boundaries in the eighth over swung momentum away from Afghanistan, but Khan took care of Hridoy next over – yet another twist.

Das steadied the ship, as drinks approached, finding assistance from reliable veteran Mahmudullah. The pair had their team at 77/5 at drinks.

In what was proving to be the most chaotic match of the tournament, Khan collected back-to-back wickets to end the 11th over, including Mahmudullah, and place the contest firmly back in the balance. Khan had 17/4 off three overs, doing everything he possibly could.

Suddenly, the rain arrived again, as the Afghans moved above DLS par by a couple of runs. But the third delay was only short-lived, as players returned to the field. The Tigers edged back in front of par in the 13th over, despite their semi-final chances officially coming to an end. Khan finished with figures of 23/4.

The requirement became 20 runs from the last four overs and a timely boundary saw Litton reach a 41-ball half century. He looked to dominate strike and carefully craft the finishing touches on the chase.

But Taskin Ahmed (2 off 9) chopped on a Naveen-ul-Haq ball, making it 109/9 with Bangladesh requiring nine runs from the final eight deliveries – with just one wicket in hand. Mustafizur Rahman walked out to the middle, thinking only about survival. But he was out plum LBW, first ball, as Naveen-ul-Haq’s fourth scalp cued pandemonium.

Afghanistan officially claimed their seat at the semi-final table in the most dramatic of circumstances. Despair for Bangladesh… and Australia.

ICC

Ban had chance to create history. Couldnt believe they just gave up.. I dont like to pile up on them but jeez what a gutless useless performance from them. How can you just give up > You had a golden chance to be in the t20wc SF - once in a lifetime thing and they dont even attempt to go it. What use is it if they even though ? Ridiculous. Am never trigger happy but the captain, the TM and all the senior players need to be sacked.

As for Afg - they just kept fighting defending an underpar score. But still cant see them upsetting the SA team though. SA is choke master though ! Should be another cracker of a game -- what aWC this has been ! Amazing - probably the best t20WC to date !!
(y)
I know people make fun of Shoaib for saying this, but this is where jazba and daleri really matter. Bangladesh lack it, Afgans don't.

im not sure if thats true. BD went for it in early overs.. they lost too many wickets. but they still kept trying until hridoy holed out.. Bd lost today because they tried to win it in 12 overs.. otherwise it was easy win for Bd
Why will you give up till the last wicket?

Did you see the 9th over? 4 dead block by mahmadullah when they needed 13 runs per over.
Yeah that was ridiculous.. Couldnt believe he did that. He was just tapping and trying to take singles. Like MSDhoni take it deep style after the match is lost. Heads need to be roll for this shambolic timid loser approach..

Just because those countries have cricket teams doesn't mean cricket is popular in those countries.

He meant Indians, Afghans everywhere in the world celebrated it. Trust me there are millions across the world In a lot of countries and continents. Many neutral.fans including Kiwis, south Africans and west Indians were rooting for Afg win. This was double play. Afg win means Aus out

Why will you give up till last wicket is gone?
why would you loose the game trying to do something improbable? Rishad lost his wicket on first ball trying to smack it out of the park after Mahmdullah. what else was left after that?

BD need to fix batting big time. Worse than associate batting currently.

Bowling is okay.
Still better than Pakistan.

Bangladesh collapsed under pressure, otherwise would have notched up another win against Afghanistan to keep the streak going.

why would you loose the game trying to do something improbable? Rishad lost his wicket on first ball trying to smack it out of the park after Mahmdullah. what else was left after that?
I will not give up till the last wicket as long as semis spot is possible even if unlikely. Losing or winning one game is meanigless in this context.

Litton Das almost run a ball means BD gave up at around 7 to 8 over mark.

Litton Das almost run a ball means BD gave up at around 7 to 8 over mark.
Captain of BD said after the match theta they had plan to go for it for 6 overs and if wickets lost then give up.

Why will you give up till last wicket is gone?
Exactly!! A win with no SF place is useless. They should have gone for it from ball one. If bowled out in 10 overs attempting it - then so be it. But a win would have been such a hollow useless victory. Good riddance that they lost - such timid usels
Captain of BD said after the match theta they had plan to go for it for 6 overs and if wickets lost then give up.
What a losers attitude? No wonder they are such a useless team. With this attitude- their mediocrity will continue for another 25 years. You never ever give up in sport . If you lose you lose- so be it but atleast go for it and dont just simply give up. What a pathetic attitude

Q03qgk8.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Just love when cricketing world puts cricket down on their own.
Well, if you go by number of humans who follow cricket, then it is right at the top.

humans have created artificial boundaries around their landmass and called them countries. Some of European so called countries are just cities if you look at India or Russia.

India itself has like 10+ countries, if you look at Europe or Africa.

The fact is that a large portion of humanity follow and cherish cricket.

And Afganistan reaching the semis is a big deal, more so if you consider what is their state of affairs. A welcome respite for the pain of reality for that country.

Sorry bro but they have the most icc titles by a country it. Everyone gloatibg over their exit just proves what a great world cup team they are. The 2023 wc win was one for the ages- Aus won against all odds - everything was stacked up against them. And even here - they lost 2 close games to ban and ind. They rarely if ever get rolled over in KO games. Ind had to play out of their skins yesterday to beat them. I would say it's not arrogance but massive belief and confidence

Everyone who are saying they can't troll Aussie because they have most titles .

They can troll them because Aussie are very arrogant.

Everyday is new day

Afgans are trolling Aussies for no reason lol Aussies have won so much in cricket they dnt care what Najibullah thinks and posts on twitter .. of course everyone thinks they will qualify.. nothing wrong in that. its not even troll material
There are plenty of reasons. Including refusing to play them.

Still, Australia are the winnigest team of cricket. You troll them at your own expense.

Is Afghanistan- Australia gonna be the next big rivalry in cricket? 😂
Afg will create rivalry with every team except India the way things are progressing.. so far they rivak Pak , BD , SL and Aus.. wait till saffers beat them on thursday. if they do.. they might end up inviting wrath of Afghans in future 😂😂😂

Spare a thought for Litton. He did not deserve to lose. Played the most fluent inning of the match and single handedly kept Bangladesh hopes alive.

Everyone who are saying they can't troll Aussie because they have most titles .

They can troll them because Aussie are very arrogant.

Everyday is new day
their trolling means nothing to them.. Indians are only bitter about Aussies coz they took away guaranteed cwc title.. we understand this pain because we were at receiving end in 2010 and 2021. none of our players gave them send off on twitter like this Najib guy who did nt even play lol

lol. I like it. If Australia and Cummins can dish it out, they should be able to take it too.
cummins was asked a question and he said he sees Aus in semi ( rightly so at the time ) and did nt care about other 3 which teams they will be? how exactly he dished it out to afg who were nt even thought to be in semi race when it all started.. lol do you really think he had Afg on his mind in that interview?

Fantastic result!! So happy for Afghanistan? They deserve to be called the 2nd best LOI team from Asia.

@Mamoon

Pakistan is better than Afghanistan. They have more resources. It entirely depends on how Pakistan play their cricket.

Whether Afghanistan does better than Pakistan or not depends on Pakistan not Afghanistan.

Pakistan doesn’t have the capacity to be better than India, Australia and England. Afghanistan don’t fit in there.

Pakistan is better than Afghanistan. They have more resources. It entirely depends on how Pakistan play their cricket.

Whether Afghanistan does better than Pakistan or not depends on Pakistan not Afghanistan.

Pakistan doesn’t have the capacity to be better than India, Australia and England. Afghanistan don’t fit in there.

Distinctly remember you saying Afghanistan were more talented than Pakistan . What changed?

I knew BDCT would lose. 25+ years of experience of watching this team. Rarely they go outside of their pattern

recent Afg performances can be credited to their exposure in IPL. i know Pakistanis wont agree but missing out on IPL has hurt Pakistan’s cricket in ways they dnt understand.

Not playing IPL is not an excuse when many PPers and players in the PSL keep telling us that PSL has the highest bowling standard in the world, implying that it's the best league.

This has been one of the best world cup ever. What a match this was. Very disappointed at Bangladesh not going for that semi spot. Everyone of their fans would have supported them even if they were all out for 10 runs going basting from the get go for the semi spot. Shame really. But what a magnificent journey for Afghanistan!

Instant classic this. It had everything.

Match of the tournament for me.

Low scoring games are always better.

Pakistan cricket is way ahead of Afghanistan. But can you say the same about both squads in this World cup? I don't think the likes of Chacha, Azam, Shadab will make it to the Afghanistan team.

Glad Afghanistan made all their celebrations after this match (just like RCB when they won their last game against CSK). I don't think they can get past Semi Finals... Savour your moment until it lasts...

recent Afg performances can be credited to their exposure in IPL. i know Pakistanis wont agree but missing out on IPL has hurt Pakistan’s cricket in ways they dnt understand.
But the thing is Afghanistan has taken full advantage of IPL. Sri Lanka & Bangladesh must ask themselves why so few Lankans & Bangladeshis playing in IPL compared to so many Afghans

Well played Afghanistan! What an achievement (y). The first new team to get to a WC semi since Kenya in 2003.

The hapless Bengalis have yet to get there.

Wow...few hrs later ..
My first post on this game.
Am gobsmacked Bangla didn't go for it inside 12.1 ov or whatever...
& Still lost!!!! Geez....
That mohamadullah has a lot to answer for...
For guy like Litton das ,for all his class & experience he showed pretty poor judgement at the end & taking that single....he should have taken in on himself to swing for the tall timbers....
Congratulating the afg guys..
But the lol - creme-la-creme ....what an Oscar winner by gulbadden naib ....he's probably made medical history as the fastest recovery from a torn hammie....geez - what an cringe explosion that performance was
. ....!....
C y'all in the semis in Guyana & T & T

Not sure it was Brian Lara or Mike Vaughn or Ian bishop or someone else who predicted afg would be in semis...wow what a prediction that was ..

Back