Afghanistan (115/5) defeat Bangladesh (105) by 8 runs (DLS) in a nail-biting contest to qualify for the Semi-Final of the ICC T20 World Cup 2024

Rashid Khan (Afghanistan Captain) post-match Press Conference - 24th June 2024

[Reporter:]

Rashid for starters, what are your feelings right now? Such a monumental win for Afghanistan, creating history, making it to the semifinals of the T20 World Cup. What are the feelings?

[Rashid Khan:]

Well, I don't know how to describe my feeling. It's a big achievement for us being in the semifinals and yeah, I think the cricket we have played in the whole tournament so far - I think we deserve to be in the semis. The way everyone took the responsibility of getting into the game and performing best for the team. So, I don't know how I can describe my feeling but it's a massive achievement for us as a team and as a nation to be in the semis and now looking forward to the semis.

After you batted first perhaps did you feel that you were maybe 10 – 15 - 20 runs short because on similar pitch you had made 148 if I'm not mistaken against Australia so perhaps was that a feeling that a few runs short or was it a bit more challenging the pitch today?

I think we were there like 15-20 runs short. We could have done better than that to score 130-135 but the bowling unit we have we felt like it's enough for us. We have to bowl in the right areas consistently and making sure we have the right belief and right mindset that we can defend. In the past few games here, the team defended 106 runs. So, I think the belief was there as long we just keep ourselves calm and make sure we do the right thing the right time.

Are you sure that you were calm during the game?

No, I was not calm at some points it was hard for me to be calm - sometime you have to be very aggressive, but at the same time, when bowling those four overs, I was very calm, yeah.

Just two quick, well, two in one. One, how much of an inspiration was Nepal's performance that you would have read about or seen on television? Did Nepal's performance? Nepal performed pretty well against South Africa, just lost by one run and really, really had a lot of people both inside and outside supporting them. Did their performance as a “small nation” inspire Afghanistan and give you all the encouragement that you all will make it?

And what does making it to the semifinals mean for the future development of Afghanistan? Either way you look at that.

Well, it's always you get that kind of inspiration for any team you watch on TV and those small totals when team defend that it gives you lots of things to learn from and definitely the way Nepal performed in the whole competition was something pleasing to see as a very new nation coming into the World Cup and performing best at this stage. They have played great cricket against all the sides they have played. And that's how T20 is all about. You need to have that kind of self-belief that we are capable of beating any side as long we do the right thing in the right time and we're making sure we keep the thing simple. And that's why I think they did the same as well. They kept the thing simple. They came with their own plannings and tried to execute that and make sure we are right in that planning and that's how they performed in the whole competition.

And second question, I think the semi-final is going to be a massive, massive like inspiration for the youngsters back home in Afghanistan. That Afghanistan team get into the semis for the first time. And we have done it under 19 level, but this level we haven't done that. Even Super Eight was first time for us and then in semis. It's unbelievable feeling, and I think we have proved one person very right was Brian Lara, the only person who mentioned Afghanistan to be in top four in semis. I think we told him that as well when we met him in the welcome party - we will make sure we prove that right as well. I think when you get the kind of great, great statements from a legend, as a team, I think it gives you lots of energy as well. We are capable - but as long we keep the things very simple and I think in the whole competition so far, we kept the thing simple. Yes, there were some tough times but we didn't let ourselves down and we always try to come back stronger.

Congratulations for qualifying for the semis. Your team played really well. When do you think that you will win the match and qualify for the semis and what's the difference between the Afghanistan team and Bangladesh team?

Well, when we got the last wicket then I believed that we won the game. In T20s anything is possible, any batter can score any runs and for us it was the belief that until the last wicket we take we don't need to be relaxed and think about we won the game. Because low scoring runs you can't be very relaxed you have to be very accurate. That was the only time I believed we won the game, when we took the last wicket.

Bangladesh and Afghanistan, not much difference, both playing good cricket, especially with the white ball – I think it's not a big difference, but it's just about in a shorter format, maybe Afghanistan have more strong hitters where they can clear the boundary. But even their batters - they're very good. I don't see much difference especially in the white ball you have to be like very equal to each other and we played with them in Bangladesh. We lost two games It doesn't mean like we are much, much better than them, so we are the same level, but it's just about - you play right cricket on the right day and that's where you become a better team.

To me, there is no good team and bad team. Every team is equal to each other. As long on a day, we took the right decision the right time, and that's where the difference comes when you're a loser. So other than that, skill-wise, everyone is equal, I think.

I just need to one thing, that what happened in the field with Gulbadin Naib, it's already criticised in the social media. Can you please share with us?

Another thing, Australia is supporting Bangladesh today because they also want to qualify for the semi. Do you want to say something to the Australian cricket team and can you please tell me what happened in the field with Gulbadan Naib?

Well, he had some cramp, I don't know what happened to him and I don't know what's going on in social media but that doesn't matter - it's just the end field injury which comes and then we haven't lost any overs, the rain came and we just went off, it's not something like brought a massive difference in the game. We came back on field after five minutes and there was no massive difference. For me, it's just like a small injury comes in, then you have to take some time.

For the Australian team - well, definitely, if we were in the place of Australia, we would have supported the same team. What you want is to go ahead in the competition and support the opposite team where they beat the team on the day and they get into the semis. We knew the support would be right there. They will be supporting but I can't say anything. We played good cricket, right cricket. I think we deserve to be in the semis and that's all I can say. If you play good cricket, right cricket, it doesn't matter whatever the team you are, you deserve to be in the semis.

Last edited:
Najmul Hossain Shanto (Bangladesh Captain) post-match Press Conference - 24th June 2024

Captain, a tough loss because midway it seemed that you had really controlled them well and it seemed like a chaseable score.

[Najmul Hossain Shanto:]

I think when we started our game, I think all the bowlers did a really great job. I think on that wicket we should have won the way our bowlers bowled. So, I think as a batting group we made a lot of poor decisions that cost us today.

Coming into the game there was a real likelihood that Bangladesh could also win. Of course, I'm sure you knew the equation - 12.1 [overs for the chase after] was for this game. But coming into the game [target chase], what was the mindset? And especially after that kind of a bowling performance, were you confident of pulling it off?

I think, first of all, we wanted to win the match. That is the initial plan. After first innings, when we saw 115 on the board, we had a plan that we could win 12.1 overs. So that was the plan. But as I mentioned, the batting group made a lot of poor decisions.

What are the takeaways for Bangladesh from the tournament now? Super Eight stage you qualified and you were pretty close eventually to making it to the semi-finals. What are the takeaways, what are the positives that you want to talk about?

I think as a whole bowling unit doing a great job especially, I mentioned Rishad [Hossain] whole tournament he bowled really well Tanzim Sakib bowled well ,I felt all the bowlers did a great job that is we can take forward and as a fielding group I think we feel really well all the matches so there are some lot of positive things that we can get going forward.

You bowled first on the wicket. Did you realise what approach you had to utilise and where did you think you lost the game?

I think bowling wise we had a plan that taking early wickets - but I think Gurbaz and Ibrahim batted really well, but in the middle, we controlled the game. I think all the bowlers did a great job as I mentioned the batting group made a lot of poor decision that cost us today.

First, I want to know, we tried to go to the semi-finals, but ultimately, we couldn't go. After that, we couldn't win the match either. How would you explain this defeat although it is certainly disappointing to lose?

It's a matter of a lot of frustration and a lot of pain too. Because before coming to play this match, everyone's plan was that we would win the match first. But if such a situation arises, then we will definitely take the chance that we had. But we couldn't take it. And the whole batting line-up made very bad decisions.

Do you think that some decisions in the match we played against India were criticized and we had to pay the price in this match or maybe the Bangladesh team could have tried to play that match with good confidence?

In the match we played against India, everyone gave their 100%. The things that have been talked about, we made decisions for Sheikh Mahedi Hasan to play, to bring one more spinner. He bowled well. But if we could have scored more runs with the bat in that wicket, the scenario would have been different. So, I don't think we were able to utilize our batting properly on that day.

After five overs of Bangladesh's batting, when it rained and Nabi's over, that is the last over of the power play, the batters were able to take only three runs. After that, we saw Mahmudullah's five dots in the 10th and 11th over, and then we lost two wickets in three runs. Was this the place where we lost the semi-finals dream?

The plan was that we would try to score in the first six overs. If we start well and we don't lose the early wickets, then we will take the chance. But when we lost three early wickets, our plan was different. Our plan was how we could win the match then. Because our plan was to win the match. I would say that the middle order didn't make a good decision. Because of this, I think we lost the match.

If we see Towhid Hridoy in this World Cup, he is the best batter in the team. We saw him coming at 6. At that time. Shouldn't he have played a bit on top at that time? Since Bangladesh's World Cup journey came to an end, how was the overall journey to you?

I would like to say about the batting order today, the mix-up we did was because we tried to do a left-hand and right-hand batting combination. Liton was batting on one side and there was a lot of variation in their bowling. That's why we did a left-hand and right-hand combination. Everyone knew that and it was clear. That's why we did it. Overall, first of all, I would like to say that as a team, we let down all the fans of Bangladesh who follow us and support us. So, I apologize on behalf of the team. As a batting group, we couldn't give the best to the people of the country. We feel sorry for that. We will try to come out of this situation in the future. But the positive side is that the bowlers have bowled very well. Rishad has bowled very well in almost all matches in a big tournament like this. There were a lot of positives, but as a batting unit, we let down the fans and the people of our country. We gave them a hard time. But there was no lacking in our efforts. Everyone tried their best. Everyone was honest in their place. But at the end of the day, we couldn't make it. So, on behalf of the team, I apologize.

Afghanistan's first-ever win over Australia in international cricket was historic in every sense of the word and it blew Group 1 of the Super 8s wide open. In the final game of the Super 8s, Afghanistan face Bangladesh at the Arnos Vale Ground in St Vincent. If Afghanistan win this match and India beat Australia, both victors will advance to the semi-finals. In doing so, they will knock out both Australia and Bangladesh. Reflecting on their last game against Australia, the opening pair of Rahmanullah Gurbaz and Ibrahim Zadran shone again, laying a solid foundation before the bowlers stepped up to seal the victory.

However, Afghanistan's middle-order struggles have continued, and with their sights set on their maiden semi-final appearance in a Men's ICC event, it's now or never for the likes of Gulbadin Naib, Azmatullah Omarzai and Mohammad Nabi to step up with the bat. In a rare occurrence, Fazalhaq Farooqi went wicketless in the last game, but his new-ball partner Naveen-ul-Haq did the job admirably. Afghanistan fans will be hoping the pace pairing can continue to perform effectively. The stakes couldn't be higher for Afghanistan and the performances of the spin twins, Rashid Khan and Noor Ahmad will be crucial in securing their place in the semi-finals.

Squads:

Afghanistan Squad:
Rahmanullah Gurbaz (wk), Ibrahim Zadran, Azmatullah Omarzai, Najibullah Zadran, Mohammad Ishaq, Mohammad Nabi, Gulbadin Naib, Karim Janat, Rashid Khan (c), Nangyal Kharoti, Mujeeb Ur Rahman, Noor Ahmad, Naveen-ul-Haq, Fazalhaq Farooqi, Fareed Ahmad Malik

Bangladesh Squad: Tanzid Hasan, Litton Das(w), Najmul Hossain Shanto(c), Towhid Hridoy, Shakib Al Hasan, Mahmudullah, Rishad Hossain, Mahedi Hasan, Taskin Ahmed, Tanzim Hasan Sakib, Mustafizur Rahman, Jaker Ali, Tanvir Islam, Shoriful Islam, Soumya Sarkar

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Warning:

All posters please take note of the following guidelines for match threads on PakPassion:

1. No personal insults at other posters, players, officials, coaching staffs etc.

2. No making fun of player's, official's, coaching staff's names.

3. Do not add any references to media, their social media or post any pictures or screenshots from other sports websites.

4. Stick to commenting on this match. There is no need to bring other countries into the match discussion as there are plenty of other threads where those discussions can be added.
2nd best team of ASIA 🔥

Sweepshot and his team in the first 10 overs during Bangladesh's batting:
bd-fans-14_12_2022.jpg

Sweepshot and his team after the 10th over:
804721-article-zbsrwkckxq-1457295676.jpeg
I know it's all in good fun but the Ban players dont deserve the passionate loyal Ban fans.. the Ban fand turn up every time to support these useless Ban players. Even after so many years of mediocre performances - the Ban fans still support the team with the same intensity. Really feel for them. The Ban players are absolutely shameless and useless and they should consider themselves so lucky that they have such a passionate fanbase inspite of their spineless losers attitude performances. Other countries would die to have such a passionate fan base..

Najmul Hossain Shanto (Bangladesh Captain) post-match Press Conference - 24th June 2024

Captain, a tough loss because midway it seemed that you had really controlled them well and it seemed like a chaseable score.

I think when we started our game, I think all the bowlers did a really great job. I think on that wicket we should have won the way our bowlers bowled. So, I think as a batting group we made a lot of poor decisions that cost us today.

Coming into the game there was a real likelihood that Bangladesh could also win. Of course, I'm sure you knew the equation - 12.1 [overs for the chase after] was for this game. But coming into the game [target chase], what was the mindset? And especially after that kind of a bowling performance, were you confident of pulling it off?

I think, first of all, we wanted to win the match. That is the initial plan. After first innings, when we saw 115 on the board, we had a plan that we could win 12.1 overs. So that was the plan. But as I mentioned, the batting group made a lot of poor decisions.

What are the takeaways for Bangladesh from the tournament now? Super Eight stage you qualified and you were pretty close eventually to making it to the semi-finals. What are the takeaways, what are the positives that you want to talk about?

I think as a whole bowling unit doing a great job especially, I mentioned Rishad [Hossain] whole tournament he bowled really well Tanzim Sakib bowled well ,I felt all the bowlers did a great job that is we can take forward and as a fielding group I think we feel really well all the matches so there are some lot of positive things that we can get going forward.

You bowled first on the wicket. Did you realise what approach you had to utilise and where did you think you lost the game?

I think bowling wise we had a plan that taking early wickets - but I think Gurbaz and Ibrahim batted really well, but in the middle, we controlled the game. I think all the bowlers did a great job as I mentioned the batting group made a lot of poor decision that cost us today.

First, I want to know, we tried to go to the semi-finals, but ultimately, we couldn't go. After that, we couldn't win the match either. How would you explain this defeat although it is certainly disappointing to lose?

It's a matter of a lot of frustration and a lot of pain too. Because before coming to play this match, everyone's plan was that we would win the match first. But if such a situation arises, then we will definitely take the chance that we had. But we couldn't take it. And the whole batting line-up made very bad decisions.

Do you think that some decisions in the match we played against India were criticized and we had to pay the price in this match or maybe the Bangladesh team could have tried to play that match with good confidence?

In the match we played against India, everyone gave their 100%. The things that have been talked about, we made decisions for Sheikh Mahedi Hasan to play, to bring one more spinner. He bowled well. But if we could have scored more runs with the bat in that wicket, the scenario would have been different. So, I don't think we were able to utilize our batting properly on that day.

After five overs of Bangladesh's batting, when it rained and Nabi's over, that is the last over of the power play, the batters were able to take only three runs. After that, we saw Mahmudullah's five dots in the 10th and 11th over, and then we lost two wickets in three runs. Was this the place where we lost the semi-finals dream?

The plan was that we would try to score in the first six overs. If we start well and we don't lose the early wickets, then we will take the chance. But when we lost three early wickets, our plan was different. Our plan was how we could win the match then. Because our plan was to win the match. I would say that the middle order didn't make a good decision. Because of this, I think we lost the match.

If we see Towhid Hridoy in this World Cup, he is the best batter in the team. We saw him coming at 6. At that time. Shouldn't he have played a bit on top at that time? Since Bangladesh's World Cup journey came to an end, how was the overall journey to you?

I would like to say about the batting order today, the mix-up we did was because we tried to do a left-hand and right-hand batting combination. Liton was batting on one side and there was a lot of variation in their bowling. That's why we did a left-hand and right-hand combination. Everyone knew that and it was clear. That's why we did it. Overall, first of all, I would like to say that as a team, we let down all the fans of Bangladesh who follow us and support us. So, I apologize on behalf of the team. As a batting group, we couldn't give the best to the people of the country. We feel sorry for that. We will try to come out of this situation in the future. But the positive side is that the bowlers have bowled very well. Rishad has bowled very well in almost all matches in a big tournament like this. There were a lot of positives, but as a batting unit, we let down the fans and the people of our country. We gave them a hard time. But there was no lacking in our efforts. Everyone tried their best. Everyone was honest in their place. But at the end of the day, we couldn't make it. So, on behalf of the team, I apologize.
The captain's interview says it all. Never really wanted to go after the target in 12 overs. What a useless team? You get a lifeline to be in the wc semis ever and this is how you play.. An absolute losers team with losers attitude.

Everyone who are saying they can't troll Aussie because they have most titles .

They can troll them because Aussie are very arrogant.

Everyday is new day

Aussies are the most arrogant team for many years in the world… they have taught a lesson….whenever they won titles their performance in final differs from their performance in rest games.

Apart from another team whose players are also arrogant, over-rated, makes controversial/ religious posts on social media also eliminated before super six stage

I don't like wearing tiger costumes.

I am happy to be a human.

As mentioned before, I am not a fan of tiger stuffed toy or any other stuffed toy.

Bangla fans always insulted real tigers by wearing their costumes…. Now real tigers association may approach court to prevent use of their name by Bangla fans

Bangla fans always insulted real tigers by wearing their costumes…. Now real tigers association may approach court to prevent use of their name by Bangla fans

Agree. I do not know why tiger was chosen. It is cringy when a team/person tries to associate with an animal.

It’s a metaphor. Just a way to pump up support and create a community of sports.

Metaphors are unnecessary. Aussies (8-time World Champions) never call themselves tigers, lions, jaguars etc. It seems like weaker teams need these gimmicks more.

If BD team really have to use a metaphor, I think they should use rooster instead of tiger. Roosters are present all over Bangladesh. Tigers are only present in southern Bangladesh and may go extinct at some point.

Metaphors are unnecessary. Aussies (8-time World Champions) never call themselves tigers, lions, jaguars etc. It seems like weaker teams need these gimmicks more.

If BD team really have to use a metaphor, I think they should use rooster instead of tiger. Roosters are present all over Bangladesh. Tigers are only present in southern Bangladesh and may go extinct at some point.
Lmfao, the Bangla roosters.

Imagine the commentators saying the roosters have awakened

Seems like this match creates some sort of viewership record for a Non Indian match. 1.3 crore concurrent viewers

lol They call themselves Kangroos.

Also in cricket Imran Khan started this Cornered tiger reference, before that it was only “Calypso Cricket”

Imagine India Vs Afganistan final.

A war torn nation Vs the financial juggernaut of Cricket.

Warriors Vs Rockstars.

I don't even know if I will be rooting for my own country. An Afgan win will have far greater significance for humanity.

Pak and Ind have fought wars , have been in conflict since last 35 years.. but level of hatred shown by Afg trumps the indian animosity by a cinsiderable margin. it goes both ways
Sshhhh, dont let facts get in the way. Parosis know full well what they are doing… enemy of my enemy etc etc

During the innings break, I thought BAN would have planned their strategy well and try to get a semi final spot by assaulting AFG bowling from the first ball. But from the beginning, there was no intent to win the match in 12.1 overs. Worst case they would have lost the game and not qualify for the semis, which is no different from their current status.

Powerplay: 12 runs an over: 6x12 = 72
Overs 7-10: 10 runs an over: 4x10 = 40
Still have 2 overs left. I know it is difficult to score but not impossible.

Very timid team and management. They lost a golden opportunity to try and succeed or fail.

During the innings break, I thought BAN would have planned their strategy well and try to get a semi final spot by assaulting AFG bowling from the first ball. But from the beginning, there was no intent to win the match in 12.1 overs. Worst case they would have lost the game and not qualify for the semis, which is no different from their current status.

Powerplay: 12 runs an over: 6x12 = 72
Overs 7-10: 10 runs an over: 4x10 = 40
Still have 2 overs left. I know it is difficult to score but not impossible.

Very timid team and management. They lost a golden opportunity to try and succeed or fail.
There was one time Mumbai Indians had a similar situation. IN order to overcome the NRR they had to chase 195 in 13.4 overs. I think they did in 13.3 overs. Cory Anderson made 95 runs. I know it is not the same pitch. But if you really want to create history you attempt the impossible.

Poor efforts from Bangladesh brought their demise. They should have gone for the kill but they chose the wrong path instead and in the end they could not even win the game.

No wonder why this team won't be winning anything big because they are not determined and lack game awareness.

Back