Akila Dananjaya: Another mystery spinner [Action deemed legal by ICC and allowed to bowl Post#57]

paulkatich

Debutant
Runs
When 18-year-old spinner Dananjaya was named in Sri Lanka's 30-man provisional squad for the World Twenty20, he had not played a single game of professional cricket. When he was selected in the final squad, he had only appeared in four matches of domestic T20, in the SLPL. So rapid has been his rise from obscurity that many alleged political interference in his elevation to the national team. The truth, though, is that he is living every teenage cricketer's fantasy.

Dananjaya was playing tier-three school cricket when he was brought in as a net bowler for a Sri Lanka practice session, where he impressed the captain, Mahela Jayawardene, and coach, Graham Ford, so much that they asked the selectors that he be fast-tracked to the fringes of the national team. Since then, he has earned his way into the 15-man squad through a striking SLPL campaign, in which he took nine wickets and went at 6.36 an over.

What's he about?
Dananjaya's most conspicuous talent is his control over five different deliveries that span the breadth of the spin bowling skillset. His stock ball is the offbreak but he also bowls the doosra and carrom ball, as well as the legbreak and googly. Perhaps more impressive than his variations, though, is the commitment to flight, dip and turn that he has displayed. His poise at a much higher level of cricket than he is accustomed to has also been encouraging, though he will need to work on maintaining his composure under attack if he is to succeed as an international.

What the team needs
Unique bowlers have tended to succeed at T20 cricket, and in the short term Sri Lanka will ideally want Dananjaya to build a formidable partnership with Ajantha Mendis, who has plenty of variations of his own. Neither bowler is indecipherable, but the doubt they create when batsmen are looking for the big shots can be a big advantage - one that will be amplified if both are bowling in tandem. Despite his good run in the SLPL, Dananjaya is still a gamble, given his inexperience, and the selectors will not hesitate to bring in the more reliable Rangana Herath if Dananjaya does not prosper.

Srilanka manages to find a mystery spinner for every big tournament. I would like to see how Australia,England and South Africa will play him.

Last edited by a moderator:
the only time I saw him he was tonked by Thirimanne.he aint hard to pick imo,just have more variations than anybody else

so what if he got variations...can he be as consistent as Ajmal

Ajmal can't even spin the ball that much but its his consistency....he can bowl on a dime for long stretches

How will we deal with Mahamarakala Kurukulasoriya Patabendige Akila Dananjaya Perera?

He's a new bowler for SL so how can we deal with him? :murali

get to the pitch of the ball, does he have a doosra?

are you talking about Perera the allround or Dananjaya the newbie spinner???? :danish

first we have to find out who he is before we can tackle him :yk

Hopefully the same way we usually deal with fellow mystery men Mendis and Malinga.

Will be an interesting challenge though.

I don't thiunk he will cause many problems.

Watch out for the first 2 overs of Kulasekera, the last 2 of Malinga and that's all.

I don't think he'll cause a lot of trouble for us. Haven't seen him bowl a doosra or a carom ball. The key is to attack him from the word go and don't let him settle. Herath, I think would be more troublesome for us, don't think they'll play Mendis against us considering our superiority over him.

how will the lankans deal with raza hasan is a more important question

Salaam.

He played in The SLPL alongside Kamran Akmal, Umar Akmal & Abdul Razzaq. So I guess they have played him in the nets and have some information about it.

Anyway, looking at scorecards from SLPL and the few games + the one warm up game he has played for SL, he does not look that dangerous... But the kid is pretty young, born in 1993 :)

he is a chucker when he bowls the off spin. Murli's legacy to the world

Don't play him from the crease as his balls skid like Afridi's

well nothing special if six different people can ball six different deliveries duh!!!.

U knw what.. my gut feelings are he'll run through our batting line up... That is what history says... pakistan always crumble to new and part time bowlers

He will be harmless as there is no seam movement available in pitches now...Kula and Malinga will be dangerous because of their variations and surpise package..

Big call on bringing in Herath. Very worried about how we're gonna play him as the left arm spinner.

Surprised he's not talked about more here.

Another decent outing for him (ended up on the losing side though).

Seems a smart bowler with good control. I know he has lots of variations but it is the flight, dip and turn that I am more interested in. Add to that his control and a little bit of drift and you have the makings of a decent bowler.

I hope he focuses on building his core skills rather than just relying on his variations as otherwise he will go the way of Ajantha Mendis.

Worth keeping an eye on how he bowls in the UAE for the Asia Cup given he had a mediocre series on his last outing there against Pakistan.

6-29 against South Africa in the 5th ODI.

6-29 against South Africa in the 5th ODI.

He is too reliant on his variations.

Four of these dismissals were googlies. One of them was the legbreak.

Only one was an offspinner.

I can understand the variations in LOIs but I really hope he works on his offspin too as he has potential.

He is too reliant on his variations.

Four of these dismissals were googlies. One of them was the legbreak.

Only one was an offspinner.

I can understand the variations in LOIs but I really hope he works on his offspin too as he has potential.

He's fine because he's not like ajantha mendis who basically was just a medium pacer, bowling pretty much straight, his variations actually turn. Also, his off spinner is pretty good, gets good flight, drift and turn, I think he'll be a very good spinner for Sri Lanka, vital for their world cup campaign next year.

He's fine because he's not like ajantha mendis who basically was just a medium pacer, bowling pretty much straight, his variations actually turn. Also, his off spinner is pretty good, gets good flight, drift and turn, I think he'll be a very good spinner for Sri Lanka, vital for their world cup campaign next year.

This is what I am saying. Using his variations in LOIs is a good tactic. I just hope he spends time on his offspin too as that is what will allow him to succeed long term (especially in tests).

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Akila Dananjaya has been reported with a suspect bowling action. Dananjaya is required to undergo testing within 14 days and, during this period, he is permitted to continue bowling in international cricket until the results of the testing are known. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/SLvENG?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#SLvENG</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/OfficialSLC?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@OfficialSLC</a></p>— ICC Media (@ICCMediaComms) <a href="https://twitter.com/ICCMediaComms/status/1061550162131238913?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">November 11, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Hes been playing for a while and theres no mention of a potentially dodgy action but he suddenly gets called up against england

Doesnt sit right this

England captain Joe Root had words of sympathy for Sri Lanka spinner Akila Dananjaya who will go into the second Test on Wednesday with his bowling action under investigation by cricket’s world body.

Root was questioned about Dananjaya as it was announced that England would keep the same team that hammered Sri Lanka in the first Test with Ben Stokes playing as number three batsman and Jonny Bairstow kept out despite being fit again.

Sri Lanka has insisted that the 25-year-old off-spinner Dananjaya is ready to play despite the International Cricket Council (ICC) reporting him for his bowling in the first Test.

“It is an unfortunate thing he has to deal with,” said Root.

“Ultimately, for us we played him at Galle pretty well throughout the last game. If you see anyone with a question mark by their action, you hope they get through and it doesn’t hamper their career. It is never nice to see.”

Root said the suspect action had not shocked him. “It didn’t really stand out to me personally,” he said.

“It doesn’t matter what his action is like, it’s how we play him. It’s how it comes down to us playing the ball, being skilful enough to react to the delivery on the surface.”

The match umpires reported Dananjaya’s action after the first Test, which England won by 211 runs. He took two wickets for 184 runs.

Under ICC rules Dananjaya must undergo testing at an approved ICC centre within two weeks and he is expected to fly to Australia as soon as the second Test ends.

“There are no ICC rules saying he cannot play,” said Suranga Lakmal, who will captain Sri Lanka in the absence of injured Dinesh Chandimal.

“He can still play and he’s in a good mentality, he will still play the next match and correct his mistake.”

Speaking before the line-up was announced, Root highlighted the need for the team to remain flexible. “I think you have to adjust, to be as adaptable as possible,” said Root.

“You obviously want some sort of consistency in your top order but in tours in this part of the world, on surfaces where conditions are so extreme at times, there will be times you might want to change things round,” he said.

“I want us to take the positive option if we’re unsure at any stage. I want us to continue keep taking the game to the opposition.”

https://www.cricketcountry.com/news...lankas-suspect-spinner-akila-dananjaya-764972

The International Cricket Council today announced that an independent assessment has found the bowling action of Sri Lanka’s off-spinner Akila Dananjaya to be illegal and, as such he has been suspended from bowling in international cricket with immediate effect.
The assessment revealed that his deliveries exceeded the 15 degrees level of tolerance permitted under the regulations.

In accordance with Article 11.1 of the ICC Regulations For The Review of Bowlers Reported with Suspect Illegal Bowling Actions, Dananjaya’s international suspension will also be recognised and enforced by all National Cricket Federations for domestic cricket events played in their own jurisdiction.

However, according to Article 11.5 of the Regulations and with the consent of the Sri Lanka Cricket, Dananjaya may be able to bowl in domestic cricket events played under the auspices of the SLC.

Dananjaya was reported with a suspect bowling action during the first Test against England, which the visitors won by 211 runs in Galle and had undergone an independent assessment of his bowling action on 23 November 2018 at the National Cricket Centre, Brisbane.

Dananjaya can apply for a re-assessment after modifying his bowling action in accordance with clause 4.5 of the Regulations.

now only if someone could check bumrah out...his run up and bowling action makes 0 sense to me especially in his effort balls.

Bumrah bowling action may look awkward but i think he is absolutely fine...No need to check,even we can see there is nothing suspicious to call for check..

Bumrah's hand is straight right from the run up. He doesnt even bend his arms while throwing lol. What will you check.

now only if someone could check bumrah out...his run up and bowling action makes 0 sense to me especially in his effort balls.

Challenge him.he will come out good.

Bumrah bowling action may look awkward but i think he is absolutely fine...No need to check,even we can see there is nothing suspicious to call for check..

Bumrah's hand is straight right from the run up. He doesnt even bend his arms while throwing lol. What will you check.

Just curious, is it even possible for a pacer bowling at 145+ to chuck? Has such a pacer ever been banned by ICC?

And there can be nothing suspicious about a "run up", a bowler can run in any way he pleases.

Last hope of SL bowling is done. My childhood favourite team has become another Zimbabwe. I can't even watch SL play cricket anymore. These aren't the same as the one I grew up and loved watching.

Why rule for bending arm over a certain degree for a spinner is necessary in Cricket?

What's the disbalance that needs to be maintained?

spinning the ball with a bend arm is not a skill.

If you allow this then fast bowlers will also start bending there arm and bowl with a jerk to get extra pace

I noticed that SL bowlers tend to get reported a lot. Many of them have unusual bowling actions.

Akila Dananjaya banned from bowling for one year

The International Cricket Council today announced that Sri Lanka spinner Akila Dananjaya has been banned from bowling in international cricket for 12 months following an independent assessment of his action.

The 25-year-old was assessed after the legality of his bowling action came under question by match officials in the first Test against New Zealand in Galle from 14-18 August. He subsequently underwent the independent assessment in Chennai on 29 August, which revealed that he employed an illegal bowling action.

Dananjaya was originally suspended from bowling in December 2018. Following remedial work on his bowling action, he was reassessed and permitted to resume bowling in February 2019.

As the latest report constitutes the player’s second report within a two-year period, the first of which led to a suspension, he is automatically suspended from bowling in international cricket for a period of 12 months. Dananjaya will be entitled to approach the ICC for a re-assessment of his bowling action after the expiry of this one-year period.

https://www.icc-cricket.com/media-releases/1349580

The International Cricket Council (ICC) today announced that following remedial work and re-assessment, the bowling action of Sri Lanka spinner Akila Dananjaya has been found to be legal, and he can resume bowling in international cricket.

Dananjaya was banned from bowling for one year after being reported during a Test match against New Zealand in Galle and his suspension ended on 29 August 2019.

An Expert Panel studied video footage of Dananjaya’s bowling action provided by Sri Lanka Cricket, as attendance and assessment at an ICC accredited centre was not possible due to various restrictions resulting from Covid-19.

The panel concluded that the amount of elbow extension in his bowling action was within the 15-degree level of tolerance permitted under the ICC Illegal Bowling Regulations.

To assist the Match Officials, they will be provided with the report, images and video footage of the bowler’s remodeled legal bowling action.

Back