Allan Donald vs Wasim Akram : Who’s the better Test bowler?

Statpadder Inc

Local Club Regular
Runs
Both Donald and wasim were 2 of the greatest fast bowlers ever, but if you had to pick one

Allan Donald stats:
Matches - 72
Wickets - 330
Average - 22.25

Wasim akram stats :
Matches - 104
Wickets - 414
Average - 23.62

Allan Donald has himself mentioned on numerous occasions that Wasim was the most skillful bowler of his generation.

If Akram had played all his home tests in South Africa than his wickets tally would have been 500.

If Akram had played all his home tests in South Africa than his wickets tally would have been 500.
Well, Donald lost his prime years to apartheid. He still averages in the teens in the subcontinent.

Akram averages almost 40 in South Africa

Well, Donald lost his prime years to apartheid. He still averages in the teens in the subcontinent.

Akram played only a few Test in South Africa and that too when he was 30 plus and past his prime.

Will take Donald over Wasim as the superior Test bowler. But in an all-time World XI, I'll take Akram as he is comfortably the greatest left arm pacer and brought variety to an attack which is extremely important while Donald won't make a World XI .

From a purely Test bowling perspective from that era I'd go

McGrath > Ambrose> Donald > Wasim = Pollock > Walsh > Waqar

@Buffet , @Ab Fan , @kron
Any thoughts, would love to hear what you have to say on this
Personal preference wasim. In terms of ability they are very even. It's a tough one for me.

Clearly in odi wasim is better.

In tests, Donald had the advantage of playing in south african conditions.

Both dint do too great vs australia. I am going with donald as the better player.

Will take Donald over Wasim as the superior Test bowler. But in an all-time World XI, I'll take Akram as he is comfortably the greatest left arm pacer and brought variety to an attack which is extremely important while Donald won't make a World XI .

From a purely Test bowling perspective from that era I'd go

McGrath > Ambrose> Donald > Wasim = Pollock > Walsh > Waqar
I agree but do consider that Akram made his debut in 1984/85 and was past his prime by 1996. I think by then he had already played 70 plus Tests. On the other hand Donald started peaking from 1996 and by that time he had played half the Tests Akram had played.

Correct I meant wasim the better player. Donald slight edge in bowling. Like a feather

I agree but do consider that Akram made his debut in 1984/85 and was past his prime by 1996. I think by then he had already played 70 plus Tests. On the other hand Donald started peaking from 1996 and by that time he had played half the Tests Akram had played.

It's close. But Wasim wasn't a great Test bowler in the 80's. His peak was in the 90's primarily.

Donald was a really good Test bowler until his very last season when the Aussies hammered him in 01/02 - his last series.

Wasim's unquestionably the greater cricketer( Test century in Australia, World Cup match winner etc.)

Akram was a much better odi bowler, absolutely no debate ( he is a top 3 in the format).

But Donald would have taken 500 wickets @22 or something if he hadn't misses a chunk of his career due to apartheid

Allan Donald debuted at the age of 27 because of apartheid. So stats will be skewed against him.

In tests, Donald, he also dominated India in India so wasn't a home bully. Overall Wasim Akram, because in ODIs his legacy is so great including WC win, also him being a left hander. All formats combines I will take Akram ahead of anyone except McGrath.

It's close. But Wasim wasn't a great Test bowler in the 80's. His peak was in the 90's primarily.

Donald was a really good Test bowler until his very last season when the Aussies hammered him in 01/02 - his last series.

Wasim's unquestionably the greater cricketer( Test century in Australia, World Cup match winner etc.)
Akram was only 17 when he made his Test debut and he was improving every series. He finally became a lethal fast bowler in the 1989/90 series against Australia. Before that he used to give good support to Imran Khan who was Man of the Series in away series wins against India, England and a close fought series in the West Indies. Until 1989 Imran was dominating the Pakistani pace attack, home and away.

Donald was just a super quick bowler in his initial years more like Devon Malcolm. His bowling improved from 1995 when Bob Woolmer started working with him as coach at Warwickshire and South Africa.

Allan Donald debuted at the age of 27 because of apartheid. So stats will be skewed against him.

In tests, Donald, he also dominated India in India so wasn't a home bully. Overall Wasim Akram, because in ODIs his legacy is so great including WC win, also him being a left hander. All formats combines I will take Akram ahead of anyone except McGrath.
Akram unfortunately didn't played in India when he was at his peak in the early to mid 90's . When he toured in 1999 he was in his last few years of international cricket.

In ODI, Wasim.

In the Test, I rate both at the same level. Sometimes I may put Donald over Wasim and sometimes I may put Wasim over Donald. Not much difference.

Overall, I will rate Wasim higher considering all formats.

Akram was a much better odi bowler, absolutely no debate ( he is a top 3 in the format).

But Donald would have taken 500 wickets @22 or something if he hadn't misses a chunk of his career due to apartheid
True, but you have to rate bowlers based on whatever they did. For all we know, Donald may have been better than anyone in history if he had played international cricket earlier, but we can't rate anyone based on speculations.

One venue does not make that much difference. Overall, Wasim was good in all conditions. We have seen enough of him.

Donald is underrated, he was very highly skillful bowler too. It's a myth that he was all pace and nothing else.

Donald could swing the ball both ways. Once Pollock debuted, he mastered reverse swing too and took up the responsibility with the old ball, had a very good yorker and was obviously lightning pace.

In terms of comparison with Wasim, I think Wasim is probably a shade better than Donald because he is a World Cup winner with a player of match performance in Finals and his record vs Australia, who were probably the top side was better than Donald.

Donald, nevertheless, was beast in all conditions, he did enough damage in few games he played in Asia and inspite of debuting at 26, he is an all time great of the game and arguably among the top 10 fast bowlers of all-time.

He is behind McGrath, Wasim and Ambrose only due to losing few years of his peak due to apartheid ban and bottling in World Cup 1999 while McGrath and Wasim were WC winners.

Wasim Akram & Waqar Younis were terrific ODI bowlers but their test records were bit underwhelming

Yes both had good stats in test cricket but that was partly bcoz of their ability to clean up the tail with reverse ( helped by doctored balls)

In pure skill & ability McGrath, Ambrose , Walsh & Donald were better than Wasim & Waqar in test cricket

Wasim Akram is far ahead of Donald in every department. We can better compare both of them in white ball cricket.

Wasim Akram is far ahead of Donald in every department. We can better compare both of them in white ball cricket.
How is he far ahead with an inferior average and strike rate. It's pretty neck and neck.

He is far ahead in odi cricket though, but not in tests

True, but you have to rate bowlers based on whatever they did. For all we know, Donald may have been better than anyone in history if he had played international cricket earlier, but we can't rate anyone based on speculations.
I think Donald did enough in tests to put him slightly ahead of akram

There can be none like Mcgrath.
So true! No bowler during a career for 10 years or more constantly bullied almost every great/good batsman of his time like McGrath did. Yes, McGrath didn't just have the better of everyone, he outright bullied them in the long run. There's not a single criteria where McGrath doesn't come out among the top. He is the GOAT in Test cricket. In ODI's from performing in World Cups, to World Cup Finals, Tournament finals, Tournament KO's, he comes out on top in every criteria.

Wasim is definitely better than Allan here. I don't think that Wasim will not be a choice for many when they make a dream 11 bowling line up.

Akram played only 2 matches in SA.
Even Donald averages 33 in Pak as he only played 2 matches there. So less than 5 matches shouldn't be a sample size.
I'll choose Akram over Donald.
Donald played 32 less matches than Akram. It would've been extremely difficult for him to sustain that average for those many matches.
Also, do take Pakistan's fielding into account and compare it with SA's fielding.
Donald till late 90s was SA's prime bowler while Akram had to compete with Waqar for wickets.
Also, take into Akram's diabetes into the equation in his last 5-6 years.

So yes, Akram will be my choice.

Akram played only 2 matches in SA.
Even Donald averages 33 in Pak as he only played 2 matches there. So less than 5 matches shouldn't be a sample size.
I'll choose Akram over Donald.
Donald played 32 less matches than Akram. It would've been extremely difficult for him to sustain that average for those many matches.
Also, do take Pakistan's fielding into account and compare it with SA's fielding.
Donald till late 90s was SA's prime bowler while Akram had to compete with Waqar for wickets.
Also, take into Akram's diabetes into the equation in his last 5-6 years.

So yes, Akram will be my choice.
Valid points, but Donald lost the best years of his career due to apartheid, otherwise he picks up 500 wickets or so.

Donald being the strike bowler had more pressure to single handedly deliver, the best bowlers hunt in pairs.

They are both pretty equal for me, I personally prefer donald by a slight margin but you couldn't go wrong with wasim

I love Donald but it might make more sense to compare him with Darren Gough and Waqar Younis; all three shared similar qualities.

Wasim was a cricketing miracle, there’s not anything he couldn’t do as a bowler; he is the most complete bowler of all time, he did underachieve and I think we all know why; but despite that he had an incredible career, Donald would never make any XI or be picked in any circumstances over Wasim.

The topic of this thread is - Who is a better Test bowler - Wasim Akram or Allan Donald?
Allan Donald is a superior Test bowler in terms of speed and skills.

On a side note: Wasim Akram is one of my all-time top 5 pace bowlers.

Kidding right. Wasim yea case can be made for either being better. Wasim is the better player. As a bowler they are roughly equal.

But no way anderson<<<<< mcg.

Mcg is the goat
Numbers always define you in terms of greatness so when comparing Anderson to McGrath on paper Anderson appears to be ahead.

Numbers always define you in terms of greatness so when comparing Anderson to McGrath on paper Anderson appears to be ahead.
How? Bowling average shows otherwise. Performance vs top sides says otherwise. Just longevity alone isn't enough. Although Anderson has been a true great bowler in the last 10 years.

Akram unfortunately didn't played in India when he was at his peak in the early to mid 90's . When he toured in 1999 he was in his last few years of international cricket.
Akram played in the 1987 series ....

Akram played in the 1987 series ....
Yes he did.
He was a 19 year old rookie and that series except the last Test was played on slow and dead pitches. Pacers from both sides struggled to get wickets. Btw, Akram did took 5 wickets at Kolkata.

Yes he did.
He was a 19 year old rookie and that series except the last Test was played on slow and dead pitches. Pacers from both sides struggled to get wickets. Btw, Akram did took 5 wickets at Kolkata.
He had played international cricket for 2 years by then. Not an experienced player, but not a rookie for sure.

It's like comparing apples and oranges.

One was a superb right handed bowler and the other a left armer.
One also played on dust bowls and the other had gun fielders behind and in front of the stumps.

Let's just say both were brilliant

He had played international cricket for 2 years by then. Not an experienced player, but not a rookie for sure.
Agree mate!
But in those days hardly much cricket was played. All I want to say is that Akram became a complete bowler in 1989. During his best years he didn't played any Tests in India. The two series he did played in India were in 1987 and 1999, one at the beginning and the other at the end of his career.

Btw, Donald at his peak did struggle in Pakistan. That 1997/98 series in Pakistan he was very ordinary. I think he managed only 5 or 6 wickets in 3 Tests.

It's like comparing apples and oranges.

One was a superb right handed bowler and the other a left armer.
One also played on dust bowls and the other had gun fielders behind and in front of the stumps.

Let's just say both were brilliant
Can't agree more!

If you want to compare one bowler with Akram during that same era then it has to be Curtly Ambrose.

Back