Antonio Conte appointed by Napoli as new manager [Update at Post#108]

Will Antonio Conte succeed in his role as Head Coach for Tottenham Hotspur?

• Total voters

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
We are delighted to announce the appointment of Antonio Conte as our Head Coach on a contract until the summer of 2023, with an option to extend.

Antonio has won titles in Serie A, including a hat-trick of Scudettos with Juventus, the Premier League and also managed Italy, leading the Azzurri to the quarter-finals of Euro 2016.

Born in Lecce, Antonio began his playing career at his home-town team (1985-1991) before achieving legendary status at Juventus (1991-2004). A midfielder, he won five Scudettos with La Vecchia Signora, the UEFA Cup in 1993 and Champions League in 1996. He earned 20 caps for Italy and was part of squads that achieved runners-up status in the 1994 World Cup and Euro 2000.

Antonio began his coaching career as an assistant in Siena in 2005 and had spells at Arezzo, Bari – where he won Serie B – and Atalanta before returning to Juventus in 2011. He won the title in his first season, 2011/12, completing the campaign unbeaten and equalling a club record 28-match unbeaten run set by Fabio Capello. He completed a hat-trick of titles with success in 2012/13 and 2013/14, when Juve amassed a Serie A record of 102 points.

Antonio took charge of the Italian national team in 2014 and led them to the quarter-finals of Euro 2016, topping their group and beating Belgium and Spain along the way.

After two years in charge of the Azzurri, Antonio returned to club football at Chelsea in 2016 and secured the Premier League crown in his first season, 2016/17, with a then league record of 30 wins in 38 matches, including a run of 13 straight victories.

Antonio added the FA Cup to his list of honours in 2018 before moving back to Italy and Internazionale in May, 2019. Having finished second in Serie A in 2019/20, and reached the final of the Europa League, he guided Inter to their first title in 11 years in 2020/21, ending Juventus’ run of nine successive Scudettos.

Antonio said: “I am extremely happy to return to coaching, and to do so at a Premier League club that has the ambition to be a protagonist again.

“Tottenham Hotspur has state-of-the-art facilities and one of the best stadiums in the world.

“I can't wait to start working to convey to the team and the fans the passion, mentality and determination that have always distinguished me, as a player and as a coach.

“Last summer our union did not happen because the end of my relationship with Inter was still too recent and emotionally too involved with the end of the season, so I felt that it wasn’t yet the right time to return to coaching.

“But the contagious enthusiasm and determination of Daniel Levy in wanting to entrust me with this task had already hit the mark. Now that the opportunity has returned, I have chosen to take it with great conviction.”

Commenting on the appointment, Managing Director - Football, Fabio Paratici, said: “We are delighted to welcome Antonio to the Club. His track record speaks for itself, with vast experience and trophies in both Italy and England.

“I know first-hand the qualities Antonio can bring to us, having worked with him at Juventus, and look forward to seeing his work with our talented group of players.”

Further news on Antonio’s coaching staff will follow in due course.

https://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/2021/october/antonio-conte-appointed-new-head-coach/

Conte is elite. He is in the same category as Pep and Klopp. If he gets backing from the board, he will guarantee success.

This is an unbelievable appointment by Spurs. He will turn things around in no time if the board is ready to invest in the players of his liking.

This also shows the lack of ambition of Man United. They had the chance to appoint Conte but decided to stick with Ole who is not good enough to tie his shoelaces. There are levels apart.

Man united is suffering from the “Old boys club”. It is a virus that they need to get rid of.

People like Neville etc. continue to back Ole and clutch at straws because they were teammates, and the like of Sir Alex still has more influence on the decision-making of the club than he should.

There is a clear bias for Ole and the only reason he has survived so far is because he has the support of influential figures at Man United.

Conte will happily take the 15m per year salary and then move onto a big club.

It won't harm his reputation either as issues won't be with him as coach but the Chairmen and the board.

He has proven credentials. If he is backed by the board in the transfer market, he will succeed.

Hopefully Conte won’t get the backing that he needs and leaves Spurs and takes over from Ole the fraud in the summer.

Tottenham captain Hugo Lloris says the demands around the club have increased following the arrival of Antonio Conte as manager.

Spurs appointed ex-Chelsea, Juventus and Italy boss Conte on Tuesday, a day after bringing Nuno Espirito Santo's unhappy four-month stint to an end.

Nuno left after Spurs suffered their fifth loss in seven league matches with a 3-0 home defeat by Manchester United.

"There will be more expectation with Conte," said France keeper Lloris.

Conte, 52, was a target for Tottenham after his exit from Inter Milan in May, and they went back in for him on Monday after Nuno's sacking.

The Italian has signed a contract with Spurs until June 2023 and spoke of the ambition "to be a protagonist again" in the club media release confirming his arrival.

"It doesn't matter what people say outside, it is more important what is happening inside the changing room," said goalkeeper Lloris, 34.

"There is ambition in the club. We want to respond to the expectation of our fans. That is important. Football is about winning. That is the best feeling."

Tottenham have had a difficult season so far and Conte, whose first match in charge will be at home to Dutch side Vitesse Arnhem in the Europa Conference League on Thursday, has promised to produce a "competitive team with a will to fight".

After winning their first three Premier League matches under Nuno, Spurs went five without a win in all competitions and are currently on a run of one win in four.

They have slipped to ninth in the table and are third in their Europa Conference League group following a defeat at Vitesse Arnhem a fortnight ago.

"My coaching philosophy is very simple, to play good football and attractive football for our fans with passion. To have a team stable, not up and down," said Conte.

"The fans deserve to have a competitive team with a will to fight. I'll do everything to deserve their support."

Lloris accepts the playing squad must take their share of responsibility for the dismissals of three managers - Nuno, Jose Mourinho and Mauricio Pochettino - in less than two years.

"We have to share the responsibility," said Lloris. "When it doesn't work, it belongs to everyone, not one person.

"Now is a new chapter and we are looking for consistency in performance and results. We don't want to see ups and downs again."

With Conte waiting for his work visa to come through, Fabio Paratici attended a press conference to preview Thursday's match, and spoke to the wider media for the first time since his summer appointment as managing director of football after 11 years as technical director at Juventus.

Paratici oversaw the chaotic search for Mourinho's successor in the summer, which ended with Nuno getting the job after a number of prospective candidates, including Conte and Pochettino, said no.

He is adamant there have been no discussions over new players, although it is thought money will be made available if Conte demands it.

And he is reluctant to get drawn into timescales as the quest to push Tottenham higher up the table begins.

"When we started at Juve, we didn't win for a long time," said Paratici.

"We didn't think about what we had to win. We thought we had to compete. Then when we are at that level, you need to improve again and arrive to win trophies.

"With winning trophies, it is not what you speak about, it is how you act. You have to work hard and stay focused. Nothing else."

BBC

Conte is elite. He is in the same category as Pep and Klopp. If he gets backing from the board, he will guarantee success.

This is an unbelievable appointment by Spurs. He will turn things around in no time if the board is ready to invest in the players of his liking.

This also shows the lack of ambition of Man United. They had the chance to appoint Conte but decided to stick with Ole who is not good enough to tie his shoelaces. There are levels apart.

Man united is suffering from the “Old boys club”. It is a virus that they need to get rid of.

People like Neville etc. continue to back Ole and clutch at straws because they were teammates, and the like of Sir Alex still has more influence on the decision-making of the club than he should.

There is a clear bias for Ole and the only reason he has survived so far is because he has the support of influential figures at Man United.

ur right mamoon - hes a top class coach - however he wont succeed - spurs have no mentality - he's stricter than Mourinho by a long mile.

Players wont like him, especially when they lose in a big match - and he find way to get them to focus and stop running to thr pr team

He will no doubt improve Spurs.

But they wont win a major trophy for years, by then he will be Italy manager.

He is a very good manager, but the issues at Spurs run deep. The ownership, the entitled attitude at the club, and of course the dressing room culture are incredibly poor. Conte has a massive job on his hands if he wants to turn things around and potentially win a trophy with these players.

For once I agree with you.
My club is not moving like a big club at all.
Conte wanted to come and we snubber him because he is a boat rocker- and we are putting up with ineptitude coaching.
Quite shocking and sad

If by success we mean winning things at Spurs then the answer is no. He may get Harry Kane to stay at Spurs for a bit longer.

'We need patience but I'm not afraid of the task' - Conte starts Spurs reign with dramatic 3-2 win

Antonio Conte says that a "bit of patience" will be required after he was given a highly eventful introduction to life as Tottenham Hotspur's new manager in their Europa Conference League victory over Vitesse.

In a match that saw Spurs reduced to 10 men and the Dutch Eredivisie side to nine, Spurs threatened to throw away an early three-goal lead before eventually scrambling over the line.

It was a far cry from the organisation and solidity that characterised his title-winning teams at Juventus, Chelsea and Inter Milan.

"In my opinion and my mind there is a lot of space for improvement for this team, in every single player," Conte told BT Sport.

"We need to have a bit of patience because we need to work on many aspects - tactically and physically and also the players have to understand what I want.

"I'm not afraid about the work. I know only through the work you can reach important targets."

The Italian received a warm welcome after succeeding the sacked Nuno Espirito Santo and Spurs looked to be giving Conte the perfect start as they went three goals up inside the first half hour.

Son Heung-min drove home the first goal of the Conte reign after 14 minutes, with Lucas Moura racing clear to add a second eight minutes later. Jacob Rasmussen looked to have put Spurs out of sight when he bundled into his own net under pressure from Harry Kane.

Spurs then displayed their frailties to the new manager as Rasmussen rose to head home from a corner before Matus Bero's cool finish reduced the deficit further before half-time.

Vitesse were a danger throughout the second half, with home keeper Hugo Lloris saving superbly from substitute Lois Openda and Riechedly Bazoer.

Spurs lost Cristian Romero when he was sent off for a challenge on Openda but Vitesse's momentum was halted when captain Danilho was shown a second yellow card for hauling down Kane.

Keeper Markus Schubert then quickly followed for handling outside his area as he ran out to clear from Emerson Royal.

At the end of it all, Spurs gave Conte the win he wanted to move them into second place behind Rennes in Group G.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59154773

Conte speaking after his first match in charge:

"My first impression is that it was a crazy game because we were winning 3-0 and we were dominating the game and created many chances to score other goals, but instead in 10 minutes we conceded twice and we lost a bit of confidence," said Conte. "I think you have to work also on these aspects, but we should have won and we won.

"For sure, in the second half after the 10 men, they tried to push us and then I decided to make three changes because I could see that we had lost the balance and in the end I think we deserved to win as we created more chances than Vitesse.

"Those who know me very well, I don't like when this type of crazy game happens," he added. "I call them crazy games. I want a stable team and when there is the possibility to kill the opponent you must kill. For sure my team showed me great commitment and resilience. For sure, this team needed to win by also suffering. It was important today.

"For sure the team has great potential," said Conte. "I was enthusiastic about this stadium and the crowd. The atmosphere was electric and it was one of the reasons why I accepted to come here as I know that here I can work in the way that I like. This is a top club and I want to repay the club about the trust they have shown me and for sure now in this moment, we have to focus on the pitch and on the football aspect to try to bring the same level.

"The training ground is maybe the best in the world as I've not seen this type of situation. The players and I should work a lot as we want to improve the football aspect. The support of the fans tonight showed they deserve this.

"The team must now prepare for the game against Everton before they go with the national teams," he said. "We need time to work, we need time. This is the only aspect as I like to have time to work because this team and I need to work together to bring across my idea of football and the tactical aspects much better than now. This is the only aspect that I'm a bit afraid of.

"But I know there is this type of situation and for this reason we need a bit of patience. I know that we have to be patient because there is a situation that we don't have too much time to work. We have a lot of space for improvement. This team is young, but we all have to work together.

"My team showed resilience and were compact. The only negative aspect is that when you are winning 3-0, the game should be over. Instead, we risked to open the game again. It's the one negative aspect of this game.

"In this moment, it is impossible to make a comparison with my Inter Milan side. At Inter, I had a finished product after two years working there.

"For sure, in two years many players improved a lot. I am sure if I have time to work with these players, there is great potential for development with these players. We have a lot of space for improvement. If we improve every single player, the whole team will become stronger. We need to find the time to work and this is the real problem at this moment as we need to work on many aspects.

"I am happy as for a part of this game I could see what we were trying after only two days of training."

Conte is obviously a great manager. At Chelsea he managed to get more out of players like Luiz, Alonso, Moses, a declining Cahill & Matic than most managers could.

However I think this will be his most difficult job yet, making Spurs win trophies is a monumental task. I think he has the managerial talent to do so, but this squad has failed under several managers (even the one that knew them best in Poch) and any sort of notable trophy (CL, PL or even a FA cup) would be hugely impressive.

I still think he will succeed in atleast making Spurs a threat again for top 4, but predicting whether he'll get a trophy that isn't the UCFL is rough. Levy + Conte seems like a troubling combination, considering how Conte didn't even like the Chelsea board (who usually fulfil transfer requests) and Levy is notorious for being extremely stingy.

I still think he will succeed in atleast making Spurs a threat again for top 4, but predicting whether he'll get a trophy that isn't the UCFL is rough. Levy + Conte seems like a troubling combination, considering how Conte didn't even like the Chelsea board (who usually fulfil transfer requests) and Levy is notorious for being extremely stingy.

Even though Conference League is a dead tournament, it is still a trophy and Tottenham need to win it by hook or crook. They need to learn what it’s like to win a trophy. They are the best team in the conference league and if they can’t win it with Conte as their manager, then they are never going to win anything.

Probably the ultimate poisoned chalice in sport. Where Poch lacked a winning mentality, this guy has it and the lure to get the players he wants. Maybe not title but ECL and domestic cups and solidifying top 4

His problem is that the EPL is the European SuperLeague.

He will have the same budget for acquisitions and salaries that Inter Milan had. But the problem is that Man U, Man C, Liverpool, Leicester, West Ham and Chelsea would all win Serie A at a canter if they played in Italy, and Arsenal and Everton would be close too, probably even Wolves and Crystal Palace too.

So you have an elite manager with a 6th to 9th place squad. And Harry Kane has been worked out by opposition coaches as a guy who doesn't have the pace to influence big matches.

Even though Conference League is a dead tournament, it is still a trophy and Tottenham need to win it by hook or crook. They need to learn what it’s like to win a trophy. They are the best team in the conference league and if they can’t win it with Conte as their manager, then they are never going to win anything.

I agree, it will be a huge failure if they don't win it, and I think will call for a long overdue squad overhaul.

He will have the same budget for acquisitions and salaries that Inter Milan had. But the problem is that Man U, Man C, Liverpool, Leicester, West Ham and Chelsea would all win Serie A at a canter if they played in Italy, and Arsenal and Everton would be close too, probably even Wolves and Crystal Palace too.

So you have an elite manager with a 6th to 9th place squad. And Harry Kane has been worked out by opposition coaches as a guy who doesn't have the pace to influence big matches.

The notion that Leicester and West Ham would win Serie A at a canter while Arsenal, Everton, Wolves and Crystal Palace would be close is a load of rubbish.

However, you can expect this from people who cannot see beyond their nose and only watch Premier League football.

Conte is only an elite manager when it comes to being an underdog, he can take a club to the top but has problems keeping them there, because in todays day and age, parking the bus football doesnt work when your the favourites, even in his winning years at juve he had to adapt to 4-3-3 but it didnt work out at chelsea or inter(even though he left early at inter, but those tactics that won him the seria A, wouldnt have worked again)

Because of this hes well suited to manage spurs, he would have failed terribly with any of the top 4 clubs, his choices in EPL were Arsenal or Spurs and Arsenal continue to stay asleep and rot away while Spurs moved first, he could now take them to top 4 and challenege for the title, but he wouldnt take them any further then that.

I agree, it will be a huge failure if they don't win it, and I think will call for a long overdue squad overhaul.

They need a squad overall regardless. Basically anyone who played under Poch needs to leave, with the exception of Son.

Conte claims first league win as Spurs boss after fine comeback against Leeds

Antonio Conte secured his first Premier League win in charge of Tottenham as Spurs staged an impressive second-half comeback to beat struggling Leeds.

The hosts failed to manage a single shot on or off target in a lacklustre opening 45 minutes with the determined visitors by far the better side.

Kalvin Phillips had an early free kick saved by Hugo Lloris and Adam Forshaw drove just wide before Leeds opened the scoring as half time approached when Daniel James stabbed in Jack Harrison's excellent cross.

There were some boos from the home fans as Tottenham left the pitch for the break, but Conte's side were much improved after the restart, twice hitting the woodwork early on.

First, Harry Kane - anonymous in the first half - broke clear of the defence and his powerful low effort squirmed under Illan Meslier and hit the base of the upright before Song Heung-min's heavily-deflected strike hit the crossbar.

The equaliser arrived just before the hour mark when Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg curled into the far corner after good work by Lucas Moura.

Tottenham kept up the pressure and the turnaround was complete in the 69th minute when Eric Dier's free-kick deflected off the wall and onto the post, but Sergio Reguilon was there to poke in the rebound and score his first Premier League goal for Spurs.

The home side then closed out the game to secure a win that moves them up to seventh, four points off the top four.

Leeds, meanwhile, remain 17th and just two points above the relegation zone.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59278627

Antonio Conte concedes level at Tottenham is not high after shock NS Mura defeat

Antonio Conte says he is not a "magician" and now understands the size of the job on his hands at Tottenham after they suffered a humiliating Europa Conference League defeat at NS Mura.

Conte watched on as his 10-man side were beaten 2-1 by the Slovenian minnows - the lowest-ranked team in the Europa Conference League who had lost all four of their previous games.

Spurs went down to Amadej Marosa's stoppage-time goal after Harry Kane had earlier cancelled out Tomi Horvat's shock opener.

Conte, who was appointed to replace Nuno Espirito Santo three weeks ago, has been tasked with taking Tottenham back to the top table of English football.

"After three weeks I am starting to understand the situation. It is not simple," he said. "At this moment the level at Tottenham is not so high.

"I must be honest and tell you that after three-and-a-half weeks, I am starting to understand the situation. I can tell you that the situation is not simple. It is not simple because in this moment for sure the level of Tottenham is not so high.

"There is an important gap to the top teams in England. Of this we must not be scared. I am here to work, here to improve the situation. I know that in this moment we need to have patience, time and I am here because I know there are problems to solve.

"After three-and-a-half weeks, I am happy to stay here but at the same time I must be honest and tell you we need to work a lot to improve the quality of the [current] squad. We are Tottenham and Tottenham in this moment, there is an important gap.

"If someone thinks that a new coach arrives and Conte won in the past and then I am a magician. But the only magic I can do is to work. To bring work and work to improve, to bring my methods, my ideas of football. But we have to understand that we need time.

"I want to be honest that we need to work a lot to improve the situation. We need time and patience. I don't know what happens in the future but I am here because I am happy to stay here, to work for Tottenham."

Ryan Sessegnon's first-half red card did not help matters but Conte still played Harry Kane for 90 minutes and brought Heung-Min Son and Lucas Moura off the bench.

Conte has hinted his squad has limitations that could stop him achieving his targets at the club.

He said: "We have a lot of desire to work but you can work, work, work, work. But you can push a car at maximum level and sometimes it is not enough to be competitive.

"This road could be one metre or 100 metres, I am not scared, I am ready to go and do this path. But at the same time I want to be very honest, we have to work a lot and improve in many, many aspects.

"We have to do better at many, many things. It is important in football to have vision. Where are you now? And what do you want in the future? I am here to help the club in this aspect.

"The club is outstanding outside, to create a stadium but now we start from behind.

"It is important to know this because I am not a magician and after three weeks I have found players that want to work and have great commitment but sometimes it is not enough."

https://www.skysports.com/football/...tenham-is-not-high-after-shock-ns-mura-defeat

Tottenham are a poor side currently. Just compounds the disappointment from Sunday that Leeds were not able to make their first half dominance count and close out the result.

Conte not mincing his words. It was a clear message to the Spurs board - you have to spend money and there are no shortcuts.

Conte, like Pep and Klopp, is a winner - you back him in the market and he guarantees success.

If Spurs are not prepared to do that, don’t expect him to continue for long. He will never be short of offers.

Burnley's Premier League match against Tottenham Hotspur at Turf Moor was postponed 50 minutes before kick-off because of heavy snow.

The game was due to start at 14:00 GMT but despite attempts to make the pitch playable it was called off at 13:10.

Referee Peter Bankes said: "They worked as hard as they could but within 10 minutes the pitch was covered again."

Burnley manager Sean Dyche added: "It fell that quickly and heavily - it's still quite strong now."

Tottenham boss Antonio Conte said: "There is a bit of disappointment because we were ready to play but at the same time I think the Premier League has made the right decision to save the situation for the players and fans.

"In these conditions it is not football. I want to have fun. In this situation it is impossible and there is a serious risk for the players."

Midfielder Dele Alli's Tottenham career could be coming to an end as new boss Antonio Conte does not see the 25-year-old in his plans. (The Athletic, via Star)

Like I said Conte is a proven winner and among the elite coaches in world football right now along with Guardiola, Klopp, Tuchel and Simeone (Pochettino, Rodgers, ten Hag, Zidane, Flick, Nagelsmann are in the category below).

He is already getting results with a pretty average Spurs squad and with Kane not firing in front of the goal either. If Levy backs him in the transfer market he can make Spurs title challengers as soon as next season.

Sky Sports:

Tottenham have produced a stark upturn in form since Antonio Conte took the reins last month, but how will the Italian approach his toughest test yet when his side host Liverpool in front of the Sky cameras this weekend?

Three wins and a draw from four league games under Conte has seen Spurs rise from troubled waters into seventh spot in the league table going into the weekend, with three games in hand over all but one of the teams above them - potentially nine additional points, which, as it stands, would leave Spurs merely three points shy of third-placed Chelsea.

That scenario has come against the backdrop of a fresh wave in Covid-19 cases, with the London club having a game with Burnley postponed due to snow, the match with Brighton called off due to a Covid outbreak at the club and an eleventh-hour cancellation in Leicester on Thursday.

In addition, the fate of Spurs' progress in the inaugural Europa Conference League remains uncertain after the club were forced to cancel their fixture with Rennes due to the virus - a game they needed to play, and win, to guarantee qualification to the next round.

Speaking exclusively to Sky Sports, Tottenham manager Antonio Conte explains how the current crisis has rocked the club, the importance of his backroom team, the source of his passion, why he got Spurs running again and how Liverpool are the template for success...

"Honestly, in this moment, it's not easy," says Conte. "We have three games that we have to play, we don't know when, and we don't know if, in the future, other games will be postponed. With the Covid problem, it's very difficult for us to think what will happen.

"We were working very well for two weeks and then the Covid problems started. Now, we played the last game two weeks ago. We had three days at the training ground closed and we didn't have a training session.

"And then many players were affected with Covid, and for this reason, we had many training sessions with only 11 or 12 players. It's not easy: you need the whole squad [in order] to work."

Despite the current complexities, when asked about his general first impressions of the squad, he nods his head approvingly. "The players have worked, to try and improve - to follow our tactical idea. I have found this at Tottenham and I think this is very important."

The backroom team has also taken shape, comprising Cristian Stellini, Costantino Coratti, Gian Piero Ventrone, Stefano Bruno and brother Gianluca Conte - an assistant and analyst with a coaching CV spanning 15 years - working exclusively alongside his younger sibling at Bari, Siena, Juventus, the national Italy team, Chelsea and Inter Milan.

"I have an important relationship with my brother. For sure, we have many meetings to discuss analysis about the team we are going to play, and sometimes he gives me important advice during the game, between the first and second half. He has an important role in my staff."

In customary fashion, Conte appears cool and collected when responding to questions - but where does his animated passion on the sidelines come from? "I like to play with my players," he says. "I live in a high-intensity way.

"When you start to play against your opponent, I want my players to know I am with them on the pitch and also try to help them if they don't find a good solution."

That energy reflects his style of play, with his teams frequently covering above-average distances. Indeed, Conte hoisted Chelsea from ranking 17th to seventh in that metric during his first season and up to third in his second term.

However, Tottenham had run less than any other Premier League team upon Conte's appointment. Indeed, the team ran considerably less than opponents in six out of 10 games before Conte arrived.

Since his appointment, Spurs have registered greater distances than opponents in all four matches, culminating in a season-high 121km against Norwich last time out - a far cry from the 95km against Crystal Palace in September.

"I think if you want to have a good team, ambition to work on many aspects [is necessary] - and not only tactical aspects but also physical aspects. [In the Premier League], you need to have a good physical condition.

"We want to bring intensity and have intensity during training sessions. For this reason, it's very important the team [work with staff on this]."

The Italian has become almost synonymous with a three-at-the-back system, which he deployed with title-winning success during his first term at Chelsea. But, of course, there is much more to his preferred style of play than a choice of system.

"I started my career with four at the back, with a 4-2-4 in Serie B, in Italy," adds Conte. "When I started my path with Juventus and Chelsea I started to play with a 4-2-4 or a 4-2-3-1, but then it depends on the characteristics of the players.

"When I arrived at Tottenham, I thought it was very important to find a solution and play with three at the back [because] of the characteristics of the players. I think the most important thing for a team is to find the balance between offence and defence."

Expectations: A trophy? Top four?

Conte entered the dazzling Tottenham Hotspur Stadium arena with a line of command to chairman Daniel Levy, who has grown a reputation as a shrewd and hard businessman, with a vision for the team both on and off the pitch.

So what is the measure of success for Levy and the club - which has now gone 14 years without a major trophy? "Honestly, we didn't speak about this [target]," says Conte.

"I wanted to come to Tottenham because I found their characteristics were what I like to work with: fantastic training ground and stadium. I, and people, know very well that, in this moment, we have just started our work. We need patience.

"When you start to work, you have to work on many aspects, there are also psychological aspects."

Question marks remain over the future of Harry Kane - who has scored only one league goal from 13 appearances this season after his move to Manchester City collapsed in the summer - and Conte is likely to stamp his mark on the squad when the transfer window swings open in a fortnight.

Indeed, Conte references upcoming visitors Liverpool as a template for success since the club appointed Jurgen Klopp back in 2015.

"On Sunday, we play against a team that can teach us a lot, because I think Jurgen Klopp, when he arrived at Liverpool, he started a fantastic job. But the first season they didn't [achieve] so much, but the work began.

"If you want to reach this level, you need work, time, patience and investment [on transfers]."

How do you stop Liverpool?

The form guide bodes well for Spurs, but the 10 points from a possible 12 under Conte have come against bottom-half opposition. So, Liverpool surely pose the greatest test to date for the 52-year-old?

Yes, Liverpool have many solutions during the game. It won't be easy but we have to work as a team. We prepare for the game.

"We know very well we are facing one of the best teams in the world, but, at the same time, I think that it's good to have this type of game, because we want to understand [how to face] these top teams."

Watch Tottenham vs Liverpool live on Sky Sports Premier League from 4.15pm on Sunday; kick-off 4.30pm

Ten-men Southampton frustrate Conte's Spurs in 1-1 draw

Antonio Conte says Tottenham will have to "improve a lot" and it "won't be easy to fight for something this season" after they were held by a Southampton side who played for more than 50 minutes with 10 men.

Spurs fell behind at St Mary's when James Ward-Prowse cut across a bouncing ball to volley a swerving shot past Hugo Lloris for a superb opener.

But the game turned when Mohammed Salisu fouled Son Heung-min in the box to earn a second booking in 12 first-half minutes and allow Harry Kane to level from the penalty spot.

Conte became the first manager in Tottenham's history to remain unbeaten in his first seven league games, but said: "My demands are very high because I am used to being competitive and to win - and, for sure, for me there is a big disappointment when we don't win.

"I understand also the situation. Now for sure we have to work a lot and it won't be easy to fight for something this season.

"We need to improve a lot. For sure it was an opportunity that we missed. When you have this type of situation you have to try to exploit, to try to get three points."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/59736885

Antonio Conte urges Tottenham to match his ambition but insists he is happy with shorter contract

Antonio Conte says Tottenham have to match his ambition if he is going to be a long-term success at the club, but insists he has no concerns about the short length of his contract.

The Italian, who took over from Nuno Espirito Santo in November and only has 18 months on his deal, has already made it clear how far he thinks Spurs are from challenging for top honours.

After Wednesday's Carabao Cup semi-final first-leg defeat to Chelsea he said Spurs were a team in the "middle" and were incomparable to their London rivals.

Conte has admitted there is a big rebuilding project at the club and, while he is satisfied with the terms under which he moved to north London, the head coach says Spurs must understand his "vision" to take them back towards the elite.

"I signed a contract for this season and next season," said Conte. "I think that we decided together, the club and I, to go for this decision.

"I think that I don't need a long contract to be sure to work for a club. I think that the club has to appreciate my job and then extend my contract, but only if I showed the club I deserve this.

"I'm not a coach that wants many years of a contract. Also it's not fair, because I know very well I'm a top coach with an important salary for the club.

"I'm open to improve the Tottenham situation and I decided to sign a contract with this club and I'm available to give my opinion, to give my vision and it won't be a problem for me, a short contract - only one year to go. It's OK because Tottenham has to be sure 120 per cent to continue to work with me.

"I'm happy to work with this group because they are giving me great availability. But at the same time, you know the club has to know my vision, has to know my opinion about the situation and especially what is our ambition."

Conte has perhaps been surprised at just how big the gap between Spurs and their rivals is, having had the chance to work with his squad for two months, but he insists he is enjoying working with the current crop.

"When I decided to sign with Tottenham, I know what happened recently in the story of the club," he added ahead of Sunday's FA Cup tie with Morecambe.

"When you arrive at a new club, you have to go into the situation to understand it very well and to know it very well.

"Outside you can only imagine. It's the same with the players. Outside, you can give an evaluation about a player and then I think when you are the coach of the player and you live with the player day by day, you understand everything about the player and I think it's the same for me.

"But with the players, I am enjoying my time in Tottenham because I have found a group of players who have shown me a great availability and they show me the will, the desire to improve in many aspects and when you have this type of player you are happy.

"For sure it is good to have training sessions, good to live this situation in Tottenham and have a group of players that wants to follow you and try to improve them and try to create something strong for the present and for the future.

"When you have this type of availability it is easier because when you have good players and a top man it is easier for a coach to do his job."

https://www.skysports.com/football/...but-insists-he-is-happy-with-shorter-contract

Leicester 2-3 Tottenham: Steven Bergwijn scores twice in stoppage time in unbelievable Spurs comeback

Steven Bergwijn scored twice in stoppage time for Tottenham to stage one of the craziest comebacks in Premier League history to beat Leicester 3-2.

Leicester looked set for three points with the clock at 95 minutes at 2-1 up but two goals in 80 seconds from the substitute Bergwijn turned the game completely around and left the Foxes in complete shock.

"To get two goals like that in stoppage time - it's a game I'll never forget for the rest of my career," Harry Kane told BT Sport.

The victory moves Tottenham above Arsenal into fifth and they are just one point off West Ham in fourth and have three games in hand on the Hammers. Spurs play Chelsea next on Super Sunday.

Leicester took the lead against the run of play on 24 minutes when Patson Daka squeezed home a finish beyond Hugo Lloris.

Spurs, who had already had two efforts cleared off the line and saw Kane crash a header against the crossbar, fully deserved their leveller that came on 38 minutes when the England striker danced through the Leicester defence and finished in confident fashion.

https://www.skysports.com/football/leicester-vs-tottenham/report/446453

Antonio Conte remains undefeated in his 9 league games as Spurs head coach.

Tottenham should back Antonio Conte in transfer market, says Jamie Redknapp

Jamie Redknapp has urged Tottenham to back Antonio Conte in the transfer market, but the manager admits it will take more than one window to improve the quality of the squad.

The gulf between Tottenham and the Premier League title contenders was clear again when Spurs suffered another defeat to Chelsea - this time a 2-0 league defeat on Super Sunday.

Despite a thrilling 3-2 comeback against Leicester in midweek, it demonstrated the need for Tottenham to strengthen their squad as the clock ticks down to the January 31 deadline for the current window.

When asked about the need to improve his team, Conte again reiterated that it will take more than one window to see his squad in a position to challenge the likes of Chelsea.

He said: "This is not the right moment to speak in front of the media. The club know very well what I think and the time that we need to close this gap - there is not one transfer market to close the gap.

"In the last few years, this gap became very, very big and now it is not simple to find a solution in a short time and for this reason, I'm only focused on working with the players until the end. Then, we will see.

"We have four months to try to give everything, but if we think we will solve it with this transfer window, it is not the reality. You need many years, but for sure you have to start and there is a point to start.

"In 14 days we lost three times against Chelsea - maybe there is a different level between us and them. It means they are much stronger than us as a team and a squad, we have to accept this, but only after a performance like tonight.

"We tried everything, but sometimes it is not enough against this type of team. Chelsea are very good and, in this moment, they are in another level compared to us."

The comments prompted Sky Sports pundit Redknapp to urge his former club to back Conte in the current and upcoming windows, warning that the Italian could leave if he does not feel supported.

"He needs players," Redknapp said. "When he came in after Nuno, there must have been some dialogue between him and Daniel Levy about the players he needs.

"He's now had a couple of months to look at the squad and he's done a great job getting them into this position.

"There's a massive gulf between Chelsea, Man City and Liverpool and the rest. But Tottenham are so close to getting top four, which no other manager could have done, but he needs backing. He needs to get players in quickly - two, three, four players in the window and he's got nine days to do it.

"Daniel Levy is a difficult man to deal with, but if you don't back [Conte] - looking at his history at Inter Milan - I think he'll leave the club because you can't promise and not deliver.

"Tottenham fans must be so frustrated because every year, they watch their team and everything is great with the stadium and training ground - but the team needs a bit of help right now.

"So back him, give him what he needs."

https://www.skysports.com/football/...t-he-needs-keane-without-cl-who-will-go-there

Wolves made it three Premier League defeats on the spin for Tottenham after two first-half goals punished Antonio Conte’s sloppy side in a 2-0 win.

In a game where Tottenham fans defied a plea from the club by continuing to chant the Y-word, their side fell behind on six minutes where a calamity spell of goalkeeping from Hugo Lloris allowed Raul Jimenez to volley home in splendid fashion.

Things got significantly worse in the Tottenham backline when a poor pass out by Ben Davies started a Wolves attack and after Daniel Podence's effort came back off the post Leandro Dendoncker was on hand to double the lead.

Conte, who has lost three games in a row for the first time since 2009, decided to change Ryan Sessegnon after 27 minutes but Spurs remained flat and lacking in ideas against the Wolves defence that has now kept nine clean sheets this season.

Spurs did improve after the break but despite posting 17 shots on goal, Jose Sa was relatively comfortable at dealing what was thrown at him.

3 consecutive defeats for Spurs and Conte, fallen to 8th in the table.

The Spurs job is not an easy one even for a world-class coach.

Tottenham boss Antonio Conte says Champions League spot 'impossible' with recent form

Tottenham boss Antonio Conte says it is "impossible" for a team hoping to fight for the Champions League places to lose games the way Spurs have recently.

Sunday's 2-0 loss at home to Wolverhampton Wanderers was Tottenham's third Premier League defeat in a row.

It leaves them eighth, five points off the top four, albeit with three games in hand over West Ham in fourth.

"I am telling you from my arrival that we have to struggle every game," said Conte, who took charge in November.

"There are a lot of jobs to do but it is not simple because the environment is used to play for Champions League, Europa League, but everyone maybe has to realise something has changed and you have to try to work to build again and we have to know this."

Speaking to Sky Sports, Conte added: "When you lose two games in a row at home and a previous game against Chelsea, a team that wants to fight for the Champions League is impossible."

Tottenham went unbeaten in nine Premier League games following Conte's arrival.

But the Italian says it will take time to develop a side capable of believing it can win regularly.

"The problem is that you cannot buy the winning mentality," he said.

"You transfer it day by day and [you are] not sure that [it is] day by day, because there are players that are more open and they understand the process quickly, other players need more time to understand this.

"Winning mentality in my opinion means when you play, [thinking] 'I am ready to kill you and to live'. This is the difference in every duel, every second ball, every set-piece.

"There is a long road, a long path in front of us. Long. It's important for us not to be scared to face this path."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60370247

Tottenham boss Antonio Conte believes Spurs squad was weakened in January window

Tottenham manager Antonio Conte believes his squad was "weakened" in the January transfer window despite the club signing two players.

Spurs brought in Juventus pair Dejan Kulusevski and Rodrigo Bentancur on deadline day but Tanguy Ndombele and Giovani Lo Celso left on loan.

Dele Alli also joined Everton on a free transfer while Bryan Gil moved to Valencia.

"What happened in January was not easy," Conte told Sky Sport Italia.

Spurs boss Conte added: "We lost four players. Four important players for Tottenham and we brought in only two.

"So even just in terms of numbers, rather than reinforce the squad, we, on paper, may have weakened it."

Conte took charge of Tottenham on 2 November and oversaw a nine-game unbeaten run in the Premier League.

However, their form has faltered in recent weeks and three consecutive league defeats has seen Spurs drop to eighth, seven points off the Champions League spots - albeit with three games in hand on fourth-placed Manchester United.

Conte does not believe he was backed with ready-made signings in January and says he now realises the club's vision is to develop players.

The Italian added: "Bentancur and Kulusevski are ideal prospects for Tottenham, because Tottenham are seeking young players they can develop and grow, not players who are ready. That is the issue.

"This is the vision and the philosophy of the club. It is inevitable that, if you want to grow quicker and if you want to be competitive more rapidly, you need players with a lot of experience, because they also raise the experience level of the overall team.

"But I repeat, I have realised now that this is the vision of the club."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60411404

Antonio Conte: Spurs head coach says Daniel Levy 'knows his thoughts' on transfers as he apologises for 'creating disturbance' with Italian interview

Tottenham boss Antonio Conte has said chairman Daniel Levy knows his transfer thoughts "very well" as he apologised for "creating disturbance" with an interview he gave to Italian media.

Speaking to Sky Italy this week, Conte said it had been a difficult January transfer window for Tottenham, which had "weakened" the squad numerically.

After missing out on deals for Adama Traore and Luis Diaz, Spurs only brought in Juventus pair Dejan Kulusevski and Rodrigo Bentancur on Deadline Day.

On the same day, Conte saw the club's two most expensive players - Tanguy Ndombele and Giovani Lo Celso - leave on loan, with Dele Alli joining Everton for £40m and Bryan Gil going to Valencia less than six months after his £25m arrival from Sevilla.

Asked to clarify his comments he made in the interview with Sky Italy, he said: "They asked me about the January transfer window and if I was happy, and I said the club did the best that they could do.

"We lost four important players for Tottenham, because these players that we sent away on loan, Tottenham paid a lot of money for. When you pay a lot of money, we're talking about important players for the club.

"[We need] To pay attention in the future because we need players to be used to playing in this league.

"In my last interview, I said numerically [Spurs are weaker] when you lose four players - and I repeat, important players for Tottenham because they spent a lot of money - and you sign two players.

"If before I had 20-30 players, now I have 18 players and numerically you could be a bit weaker.

"Then I also said about [Dejan] Kulusevski and Rodrigo Bentancur, as a squad we are more complete.

"I think I was very clear, but I don't understand why someone wants to try to create a problem between me. But not also me, but also in the past, because I read the story in the past of this club and [they] create a lot of problems between the coach and the chairman and the club.

"The chairman knows very well my thoughts. It's not important for me to go to the media and to speak to the media.

"If I have to tell him something, he knows very well that I'll go and speak with him.

"Sorry, but I think that I created a bit of disturbance and this type of situation, especially because I had an interview with Italian media.

"It means that from now the club don't want [me to] speak to Italian media because maybe the translation is not so clear with my thoughts."

https://www.skysports.com/football/...r-creating-disturbance-with-italian-interview

Levy is a control freak who is cautious with spending and notorious for being a difficult man to do business with. Whoever is coaching Spurs at the time, there always seems to be clashing and tension between Levy and the Spurs manager.

Burnley 1-0 Tottenham: Conte suggests he may not be right man to manage Tottenham

Tottenham boss Antonio Conte has suggested he may not be the right man to manage the club.

Spurs lost for the fourth time in five Premier League games as Ben Mee's 71st-minute header boosted Burnley's battle against relegation.

At the final whistle, a disappointed Conte, 52, headed straight to the dressing room on his own.

And he said: "I came here to help the club and if the problem could be the coach I'm ready to go, no problem."

Conte emerged for his post-match media engagements, but refused to talk about the game and instead spoke about his current plight.

"I am not used to this situation. I am trying everything but the situation is not changing," added the Italian. "I am available and open with the club to do what the club wants.

"I want to help the club, I work a lot, I work very hard. I am giving 20 hours a day to Tottenham and the other four hours I sleep but it is not enough.

"The performance can be good and the commitment was good but we lost. For me the situation is unacceptable. To lose four of five [games] for Tottenham has to be a disaster.

"I came in to try to improve the situation. Maybe in this moment I am not so good to improve the situation. I am too honest to close my eyes and continue in this way.

"For sure we are to speak and have a conversation with the club to try and find the best solution to help the team not have this type of situation.

"It is the right moment to make assessment. I repeat, I am really frustrated."

Conte has only been in charge for 22 games after the former Juventus, Chelsea and Inter Milan boss was appointed successor to Nuno Espirito Santo in November.

However, he has suggested recently he is not happy with the situation he has inherited at Tottenham.

Conte did try to deflect some critical comments he made during an interview with Sky Italia, stating it was due to an incorrect translation.

But with Spurs in eighth place and seven points off fourth, his future is now uncertain.

When asked specifically by another media outlet whether he would still be in charge for Saturday's game at Leeds, Conte walked away from the interview without answering the question.

"In the last five games, we are playing like we are in relegation [trouble]," he said. "This is the reality. Maybe there is something wrong.

"I want to take responsibility. If I have that, I'm open for every decision. I have ambition, I hate to lose. To take my salary, it is not right at this moment.

"I want to help Tottenham, from the first day I arrive, but four defeats in five... This is the first time in my life this type of situation has happened.

"At the moment we could finish 10th, 12th, 13th. We could finish in the same position as when I arrived here."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60501859

Conte suggesting he's not good enough to turn around Spurs fortunes and he's ready to go if they think he's a problem?

Not even 4 months in and already falling apart :)))

Wow — extraordinary comments from Conte. Could be gone by the weekend of his own accord by the sounds of things.

Tottenham boss Antonio Conte insists he is 'committed' to Spurs despite previously questioning his future

Tottenham manager Antonio Conte says he is "committed" to the club, despite questioning his future following the midweek defeat by Burnley.

The loss on Wednesday was a fourth in five league games for Spurs and, afterwards, Conte said "if the problem could be the coach I'm ready to go".

"I spoke to Daniel Levy," said Conte, speaking before his side's game at Leeds United at 1230 GMT on Saturday.

"Our chairman knows very well that I'm here to help the club in every moment."

He added: "I will do that until the end.

"He shows me great consideration every day and for this reason, I'm committed for this club much more because I know the consideration for me is very high."

Former Juventus, Chelsea and Inter Milan boss Conte replaced Nuno Espirito Santo at Spurs in November.

His side beat champions Manchester City 3-2 before the 1-0 loss to Burnley left Tottenham eighth in the Premier League and seven points from a top four place.

"For sure when I lose a game I am not the person to go and have a dinner," said Conte.

"I think that I am not the right person, when I lose a game my mood is very bad and I prefer to stay alone and live the defeat, to stay alone and metabolise the defeat.

"I need one day to recover at least. This is me. It is me. I don't like to lose. If you ask me what I hate in life it is to lose games.

"My mentality is to prepare myself, to prepare the players and to avoid this type of situation. There are many coaches that don't suffer.

"For sure when I lose, if you expect that I am happy or to come to a press conference and laugh, I am not this person.

"I am sorry if I show my disappointment because maybe it would be good to keep this inside and not show my emotion.

"I am an honest person, it is difficult for me to lie or hide the truth."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60518077

Spurs crash out against Middlesbrough after conceding in the 107 minute in Extra Time.

Conte will not be happy about this one.

There is no point in him quitting right now. Depending where Spurs finish at the end of the season he may not be in charge next season. It all depends if he is allowed to sign the players he wants next season.

Spurs boss Antonio Conte says no manager in the world would be able to quickly fix the problems at the north London club.

Conte was appointed in November and inherited an inconsistent squad.

The trend has continued under the 52-year-old Italian, with a win over Manchester City followed three games later by a loss to Middlesbrough in the FA Cup.

"Tottenham's story is this, many ups and downs," Conte said.

Speaking before Tottenham's Premier League match against Everton on Monday, he added: "To be competitive and try to win something and try to fight for something important and to become a strong team, the first thing that has to happen is to be stable and to avoid these ups and downs.

"To do this and to change this type of situation that has been for many, many years is not simple. In the short term it is impossible to do this, not only me but for every manager to come here.

"This is the story of this club for the last 20 years."

Antonio Conte on trying to change Tottenham on and off pitch - 'This is not easy'

Antonio Conte admits the Tottenham's manager's job is "not easy" and is a "new challenge" for him having been given clear targets to win trophies in his previous jobs.

Conte joined Spurs in November but has a big job on his hands to try and get them into a position that would fulfil his needs.

They are condemned to another season without a trophy after an FA Cup loss at Middlesbrough, while they are the outsiders in the race for a top-four finish in the Premier League.

The Italian, who claims that he was not set any targets when he took the job, is used to challenging for top honours and admits this is a tough new experience for him.

"Now this is a new challenge for me. For sure you need patience and you know at this moment you can't fight for something important, for what I am used to doing in my past and I think I deserved to do in the past," he said, casting more doubt over his possible longevity at the club.

"I deserved to stay and fight to win the league, to win trophies, because someone gave me something in my career.

"Now this is a new experience. I repeat, I am enjoying these months, we are fighting a lot because we are trying to change a lot of situations on the pitch and outside of the pitch. But if I get to be honest it is not easy.

"We are fighting, we are fighting to try and improve the situation, also because I think they ask of me this. I am trying to improve and give all of myself to try and change the situation.

"The situation is here for many, many years, not only at the last moment."

Spurs challenged for the top honours in the Premier League and Europe under Mauricio Pochettino before slipping down.

The assumption is that chairman Daniel Levy wants to get back there but Conte says he has not been set any specific targets like he was when Inter Milan appointed him.

"I think that when Inter came to my house to ask me to go there, they asked me to win in two years and they gave me the possibility to do what I want," he said.

"I can tell you this. With Tottenham, honestly we didn't speak about this. Maybe the target is different because in Italy there was only Juventus, also Milan and Naples, but Juventus was the first to win nine titles in a row.

"When you know you only have one opponent and also the possibility of the club, you want to win in two years or three years.

"In two years we won and now Inter Milan is one of the best teams in Italy. Now the situation I have found is totally different. We can't compare the situation with my experience at Inter Milan.

"For this reason we have to be focused on finishing the season in the best possible way, then the situation will be much more clear."

https://www.skysports.com/football/...e-tottenham-on-and-off-pitch-this-is-not-easy

Antonio Conte says he will discuss Tottenham future at end of season with club needing 'good vision'

Antonio Conte says he and Tottenham will "find the best solution for both" at the end of the season over his future at the club.

Conte has kept Spurs' top-four hopes alive since being appointed in November despite calling his own position into question after a run of four defeats in five Premier League games last month.

The 52-year-old committed to an 18-month contract which will keep him at the club until the end of next season although when asked about signing a new deal to help keep some continuity in the squad, he stressed the importance of having a "vision" for the future.

"I think it would be very important to have a good vision, if you have that in football you have a lot of hope to be successful," he said.

"We have showed we have just started to improve the situation. To be competitive, to become strong, to fight to win the league or stay in the top four, we need a big, big improvement.

"We have started to do this with these players because we are working very well and in my opinion we are improving a lot. For sure, you need in the future to have other important steps and ambition with facts, not only with words, to become stronger.

"I am committed to this club for another year and the club wanted this type of situation. I accepted because it was good to know each other. After four months at the club, I think the club understood my way to work, I understood the club. In three months, at the end of the season, we will continue to improve this knowledge of each other and then to find the best solution for both.

"I am enjoying working for this club. I like to fight for something important for this club."

Tottenham are three points adrift of rivals Arsenal in fourth place, with the Gunners still to visit, and they have two games in hand over Manchester United and West Ham, who are both above them.

Conte believes Spurs have improved under his watch but to qualify for the Champions League would be an "outstanding" achievement.

"Since my arrival at Tottenham we have improved a lot in many aspects," he said. "I knew that and then I was depressed, I didn't want to see up and down and up and down [performances], I wanted to see a stable team.

"We have tried to reduce this gap that exists because at the moment in this league there are four teams, Manchester City, United, Liverpool, Chelsea, in my opinion are at the top. At the moment you have to hope one of these teams fail to finish in the top four. If this happens then we have to try to stay really close and fight until the end for the Champions League.

"It would be outstanding for us to win a Champions League place at the end of the season because this season for Tottenham has been very difficult in many aspects."

https://www.skysports.com/football/...t-end-of-season-with-club-needing-good-vision

<b>Tottenham Hotspur 3-1 West Ham</b>

Tottenham manager Antonio Conte says his team's mentality is "growing", and believes Spurs are still in the race to finish in the Premier League's top four.

Tottenham boss Antonio Conte dismisses links to PSG as 'fake news'

Tottenham boss Antonio Conte has described his name being linked with the manager's job at Paris St-Germain as "fake news".

French media reported Conte was in the frame to replace Mauricio Pochettino in Paris.

"I think it is good that other clubs appreciate my work," said Conte.

"But this is one thing. The truth is that I don't like when people try to invent news, only to speak or create problems."

Conte added: "This is not right or fair for me - or for the clubs involved.

"This situation makes me smile, but I think the people that want to tell something like this have to show respect for all the people that are involved in this situation and not invent fake news and tell a lot of lies."

Conte replaced Nuno Espirito Santo as Spurs manager in November and signed a deal until summer 2023.

Tottenham are fifth in the Premier League and two points behind Arsenal as they chase a top-four place which would secure Champions League qualification.

They face Leicester City on Sunday (1400 GMT), while the Gunners play West Ham (1630 GMT) later on the same day.

"We have five games to play and then at the end of the season, in a private way, I will speak with my club and I will see the best solution," said Conte.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61274504

Tottenham manager Antonio Conte says "nobody could have imagined" his team would still be in the race for Champions League qualification when he arrived in November.

Son Heung-min scored twice and Harry Kane rediscovered his touch in front of goal as Spurs beat Leicester to boost their hopes of a top-four Premier League finish.

Tottenham moved briefly into fourth place with the win, but neighbours Arsenal regained the spot by beating West Ham later on Sunday.

"It was vital to get three points. There was a lot of pressure but I told my players to enjoy this moment because we deserved it after really great work that we did in these six months," said Conte, who joined Spurs after they sacked Nuno Espirito Santo.

"No-one could have imagined when I arrived in November we could be in this race still, but these players are deserving to fight for such an important place. It is not easy to qualify for the Champions League in England."

England captain Kane, goalless in his previous five Spurs games, headed in the opener from Son's corner.

Son stroked in the second after being picked out by Dejan Kulusevski, then curled in a sensational third for his 19th league goal of the season.

Leicester's Kelechi Iheanacho scored a consolation with a crisp strike.

"It was a great, great afternoon, a great match and a great performance from the team. We totally deserved it," said Son, who trails Liverpool's Mohamed Salah by three goals in the race to finish as the Premier League's top scorer this season.

"Winning the Golden Boot is not important for me. Scoring goals is really good but you can't score alone. You need the team.

"If I get the chances, then I will try to score. We want to finish in the Champions League and I want to play in the Champions League."

Leicester manager Brendan Rodgers made eight changes to his starting XI, with the game coming in the middle of their two-legged Europa Conference League semi-final against Roma.

The Foxes remain 11th in the Premier League table, meaning winning Europe's third club competition seems their only realistic route into continental action next season.

With upcoming matches against title-chasing Liverpool and top-four rivals Arsenal, Tottenham knew the importance of returning to winning ways against a Leicester side with more pressing priorities this week.

Spurs had not won either their two previous matches, punished for a sluggish display in a home defeat by Brighton and unable to break down a stubborn Brentford last weekend.

What was most startling about those performances, considering the amount of attacking talent at their disposal, was Spurs' inability to record a shot on target in either game.

But Conte's side led at half-time at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium with their only effort on target, then rediscovered their attacking verve after the break.

Their trusted combination up front delivered for the first when Son clipped a corner towards the near post, where Kane had escaped his marker Daniel Amartey to power in.

"We scored early in the first half and that changed the game - we knew we'd have more space in the second half," said Son.

The start of the second half was also tight before Son - helped by the running and guile of Kulusevski, introduced as a substitute after surprisingly being left on the bench - ensured there was no way back for Leicester.

Tottenham's reinvigoration in front of goal particularly pleased Conte, who took over from former Wolves boss Nuno with Spurs eighth in the table.

"I think we were more clinical in this game. There was space for us and we exploited it very well. That was the key," said the ex-Chelsea, Juventus and Italy manager.

While Leicester's main focus is on reaching a first European final, Foxes manager Rodgers insisted his much-changed side would not be distracted from their task at Tottenham.

The visitors' rejigged line-up made a confident start. Forward Ayoze Perez forced Spurs keeper Hugo Lloris into a smart stop shortly before Patson Daka thumped the post, then a dangerous cross from Marc Albrighton needed a swift intervention from Cristian Romero with Perez waiting.

But it was the old failing of defending corners which came back to damage Leicester.

"Defending corners has been a problem for us all season - we lack aggression and cuteness. It was so disappointing," said Rodgers.

"It is something we will have to look at in the summer through personnel. The mentality to head the ball is missing; it's something we would need to address."

Rodgers was also left cursing Caglar Soyuncu's inability to win a loose ball against Romero, which allowed Kulusevski to set up Son for Spurs' pivotal second.

"We got the game back again and started the second half with confidence. We missed a challenge we cannot miss and they end up getting the goal from that. The challenge is in our favour, we have to win it," said the Leicester manager.

"The players kept fighting and the spirit was there. We kept fighting until the end. It is frustrating because of the nature of the game and there were lots of pleasing things.

BBC

"But you can't give away cheap goals."

Antonio Conte says Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp was looking for an "excuse or an alibi" when he criticised Tottenham's style of play following the 1-1 draw on Saturday.

Klopp said he could never coach the tactics that Conte adopted at Anfield, even though Spurs had the better chances and could have won the match in the closing stages.

But Conte hit back on Tuesday, saying: "Jurgen is an intelligent person, very clever.

"For the coach, it is not simple after the game, you have to try to keep your head cool. Sometimes it is not easy and many times if you remember this season I was disappointed with the result and myself and my players.

"I have respect for Jurgen and I know he respects me a lot and this is a good chance for him and me to learn that during the game you never have to speak about your opponent. It is important to be focused on your team.

"He was a bit frustrated after the game but at the same time for every coach it is important to learn to be focused on your team, not the opponent. It means you want to find an excuse or an alibi because your job was wrong."

However, the German manager has since retracted his remarks as he hailed the work that Conte and Atletico Madrid's Diego Simeone do in setting their teams up to defend.

"No. It's what I think, it's just not what I should say because it's not appropriate," Klopp told reporters when asked if he would contact Conte to apologise. "We didn't lose and it felt like a loss.

"One of you guys asked how they defended and that was the moment it clicked. I mean it when I say I couldn't coach it - it was a backhanded compliment.

Up next for Conte and Spurs is a monumental north London derby fixture. Arsenal visit the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium on Thursday night, live on Sky Sports, with Champions League qualification on the line.

"We are talking about an important game," Conte said. "Important for many different situations.

"First we are playing this game for an important target. For a place in the Champions League. This is first, to try to win this game. I also know the importance for our fans of this derby, the north London derby. This is the first time they're playing this derby in their stadium with all the fans.

"We have to try to get three points against Arsenal. We are talking about a good team, a really well-organised team. Arteta is doing a really good job. He's had the possibility to work and improve his team. In this moment of the season it has to give us a big push."

SKY

Feels like Conte is going to leave.

He should stay. He is the best manager that Spurs have had since Pochettino and one of their best overall in many years. The league itself is dominated by Manchester City and Liverpool but there is no reason why Conte cannot make Spurs a top 3 side in the future.

He should stay. He is the best manager that Spurs have had since Pochettino and one of their best overall in many years. The league itself is dominated by Manchester City and Liverpool but there is no reason why Conte cannot make Spurs a top 3 side in the future.

Will Conte be happy with a top 3 or 4 finish?
I doubt it. The man is a serial winner and I doubt he'll accept any shenanigans from Levy.

Will Conte be happy with a top 3 or 4 finish?
I doubt it. The man is a serial winner and I doubt he'll accept any shenanigans from Levy.

Levy could well drive him out. An infamously difficult guy to deal with and work with.

Conte held talks with Tottenham’s managing director of football, Fabio Paratici, in Turin on Friday and is understood to now be preparing himself to remain in charge for next season.

The news will end speculation over the future of Conte, who spent four days deliberating over whether or not to stay at Spurs after leading the club back into the Champions League with last Sunday’s victory over Norwich City.

It will also be welcomed by the Tottenham dressing-room, including Harry Kane who is thought to be open to the idea of holding discussions over a new contract with Conte in charge of the team.

Paratici has promised Conte that Spurs will try to make at least six new signings this summer, with the majority of the £150 million invested into the club this week likely to go to the Italian.

Conte still believes there is a big job to do at Tottenham to make sure the club can compete in the Premier League and Champions League, having secured what had seemed like an unlikely fourth-place finish and qualification.

Was this really necessary?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">TUCHEL VS CONTE: ROUND TWO!!! &#55358;&#56620;&#55358;&#56620; <a href="https://t.co/XhWuOU4fwD">pic.twitter.com/XhWuOU4fwD</a></p>— Sky Sports Premier League (@SkySportsPL) <a href="https://twitter.com/SkySportsPL/status/1558868810223976451?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 14, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

'If there's a problem, it's between me and him'

FT: Chelsea 2-2 Tottenham

Tottenham Hotspur

Talking to Sky Sports, Tottenham boss Antonio Conte refused three times to talk about his clashes with Thomas Tuchel. He said: "My opinion is it's better to talk about the game. It was a difficult game for both teams and we try in every game to be competitive.

"Chelsea showed they are a really good team. Compared to last season we did better, but if we want to create problems for Chelsea [in the table] we have to be better.

"I don't want to comment on the [Tuchel] situation, this is not the most important thing. If there's a problem, it's between me and him.

"It's normal to come here and to suffer but at the same time we created chances to stay in the game."

Conte added that he didn't see Christian Romero's hair pull on Marc Cucurella.

FaL1yoMXkAAZd_L

Antonio Conte says he needs at least two more transfer windows to turn Tottenham into genuine Premier League title challengers.

Spurs have started the season strongly by taking 10 points from a possible 12 after Sunday’s 2-0 win at Nottingham Forest. The London club sit third, level on points with Manchester City and only two points behind early pacesetters, and bitter rivals, Arsenal.

That has fuelled talk of Spurs finishing in the top four again and even sustaining a title challenge until late on in the campaign. Conte has dismissed the latter possibility as not being realistic just yet.

“If you compare to last season, we are more complete,” said the Spurs manager. “But to reach other teams at the top level we need time, patience and transfer markets, at least two transfer markets to reach the same level.”

Spurs have made a host of signings this summer, the most high-profile being those of Richarlison from Everton, Yves Bissouma from Brighton, Ivan Perisic from Internazionale and Clément Lenglet on loan from Barcelona. Asked about the possibility of acquiring more players before the close of the transfer window on Thursday, Conte said: “I spoke with the club and told them my opinion, but if we do something or not it’s OK.

“With the new players, we started to work with them in only one month and a half. And I think at the end my choices were good because we got four good results in the first four games. Now when you have to go and play one game every three days, it’s normal to make rotation, the players to be intelligent to understand that they have to sometimes go on the bench, come in, alternate. And this is the period that the club can understand if we are really, really complete in the squad or maybe we could do better.”

Harry Kane scored both of Spurs’s goals against Forest, making it four goals in his last three appearances for the England forward. He has two years remaining on his contract with the club and Conte is keen to keep him in north London for longer.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ndows-to-be-title-contenders?CMP=share_btn_tw

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">"Today I'm really happy for Sonny" <br><br>Antonio Conte speaks about his decision to start Son on the bench and reflects on his team's performance 🔊 <a href="https://t.co/wx4LMkCFez">pic.twitter.com/wx4LMkCFez</a></p>— Sky Sports Premier League (@SkySportsPL) <a href="https://twitter.com/SkySportsPL/status/1571217660142309377?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">September 17, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Antonio Conte: Tottenham boss says he is 'happy' at the club amid 'disrespectful' links to the Juventus job

Tottenham head coach Antonio Conte says reports linking him with a return to Juventus are "disrespectful" and "incredible", and insists he is happy at Spurs.

According to reports in Italy last week, Conte is open to replacing under-pressure Juve boss Massimiliano Allegri, who potentially faces the sack with the Old Lady struggling in Serie A with just two wins in seven games this season.

The Italian giants are also reportedly encouraged by Conte's contract situation at Tottenham with his current deal expiring next summer.

But Conte, who joined Spurs in November 2021 and then guided them to Champions League qualification, has rejected the rumours from his home country.

"This is incredible," the 53-year-old said. "In this period I think this is disrespectful for the coach that works in Juventus and for me working in Tottenham.

"We have just started the season. Many times I have spoken about this topic and I've always said I'm happy and enjoying my time with Tottenham.

"We have the whole season to find the best solution for the club and for me, and for sure, I'm enjoying my time at Tottenham.

"I have a great relationship with the owner and [Fabio] Paratici [Spurs managing director of football]. I don't see any problems at the moment in the future. We both signed the contract.

"I don't want to listen to someone speaking about this [speculation]."

https://www.skysports.com/football/...-amid-disrespectful-links-to-the-juventus-job

Pretty dismal from Spurs again. As Conte said in his post-match interview, they've been dominated in all 3 big games they played this season.

Fans will only tolerate parking the bus as long as you're winning, there is already unrest brewing.

Pretty dismal from Spurs again. As Conte said in his post-match interview, they've been dominated in all 3 big games they played this season.

Fans will only tolerate parking the bus as long as you're winning, there is already unrest brewing.

Conte is a world class manager but just like mourinho found out you cant polish a **** and turn into a diamond.

Conte's away record for chelsea / Spurs in big away games in PL is Abysmal.

Italian style Serie A ultra defensive football doesn’t work for long in the PL, which in terms of goalscoring is about killing teams with high pace during the transition and/or creating overloads in forward positions. Spurs are quite ponderous in comparison and Conte’s gameplan for most away fixtures is seemingly keeping a clean sheet, scoring from a set piece or long range shot & winning 1-0.

Jamie Redknapp has called on Antonio Conte to commit his long-term future to Tottenham to help remove any lingering uncertainty that could contribute to his side's season unravelling after a second successive league defeat.

Managers like Conte, Mourinho, Simeone play an outdated defensive style of play that has no place in modern football, certainly not in premier league.

Two pretty embarrassing back to back performances and bad results against United and Newcastle. Conte is clearly an elite coach but Spurs didn’t look like title contenders this week.

Antonio Conte says his Tottenham side showed ‘great character’ to draw against Brentford but is frustrated the second-half heroics were required.

Spurs were staring down the barrel of a Boxing Day defeat at the Brentford Community Stadium with goals from Vitaly Janelt and Ivan Toney putting them 2-0 down.

It appeared to be curtains for Tottenham when Toney put Brentford 2-0 up on 54 minutes

But goals from Harry Kane and Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg in the second half saw Conte’s men salvage a draw that had appeared unlikely.

Spurs have now gained 14 points from losing positions in the Premier League this season, more than any other club in the division.

And while Conte is proud of the resolve his players he lamented their slow starts to matches with Spurs now falling behind in their last NINE outings.

“In one side I have to be happy because of the way we played in the second half, the energy, desire and intensity and when you play like this you create problems,” Conte told the media. “On the other side this is now nine games in a row we concede the first goal.

“It’s important to be stable for a team that wants to try to stay in a good position in the table. To concede for many goals the first goal or two goals, we have to make good reflections. We have to find solutions.

“For me this is the first time in my career to concede first nine games in a row. They showed great character but we have to start in this way… a difficult team and they drew against Chelsea and beat Manchester City.

Conte cut a frustrated figure when speaking about his side’s bad start to matches

“It’s not easy to press them because they can hit it long and Toney is very good. I want to underline how good they are but we could have won.”

Spurs’ defensive struggles led to questions about whether they would be looking to strengthen in that position during the January transfer window but Conte suggested he’s satisfied with what he’s got.

“Now we have recovered also Japhet Tanganga, also the first game of the season,” Conte added.

“He started a lot with his knee. He needs a bit of time to get into the game. I’m pleased for him to play a game today.

“With central defenders we are good, we have to continue to work. Cuti [Cristian] Romero comes back to training tomorrow. In one side, I’m a bit disappointed in the other we’re scoring a lot of goals and creating a lot.”

https://talksport.com/football/1286726/antonio-conte-tottenham-stats-transfers-january/

Conte has been cutting a bit of a sad figure on the touchline since the Premier League resumption.

Two very disappointing performances and results against both Brentford & Villa now.

He hasn’t really looked like he has the answers against either team to carve out a win for Spurs.

Mark Schwarzer [BBC]

“I don't think I have ever seen Conte so inactive in his technical area ever. he has been very very quiet, he is just standing there with his arms folded, his hand on his chin.

“Is it the calm before the storm? Is it something we will hear about in post-match, his frustration about the performances of his players?”

Tottenham Hotspur manager Antonio Conte speaking to the BBC:

"In the first half we played with good intensity. We didn't concede anything and we found a team that defended too deep and then we conceded this goal and then the confidence dropped for my players.

"We have to know that our life is this. We have to fight every game for one point or for three points. This is the truth, especially when you are without two or three important players and have difficulties.

"We have different characteristics. We don't have many players who are really good to beat the man. We don't have many creative players in our team. For sure today was really difficult to find space in the first half.

"I'm sure that if we don't concede the goal, we could win the game instead. The goal that we conceded killed us in confidence and in many situations for sure. You have to try and improve and develop these players and especially young players to be even stronger."

On conceding first again: "We have conceded the first goal and for sure we try to play to score goals. There is an opponent like you that can score during the game. We understand very well that the league will be really really difficult for us.

"We have to try to recover all the [injured] players and then we have to know that in every game we have to fight and show that we are strong. The league will be very difficult for us.

"I want to be honest, I want to be very clear. I have said this to the club, I have said my opinions. The fans deserve the best. Maybe to stay in 5th is the best. Maybe 6th, 7th, 5th or 4th is the best."

Conte has been cutting a bit of a sad figure on the touchline since the Premier League resumption.

Two very disappointing performances and results against both Brentford & Villa now.

He hasn’t really looked like he has the answers against either team to carve out a win for Spurs.

All falling apart for Conte. It's the classic Mourinho-type cycle and it's nearly over. These pragmatic, stone-cold "winners" only win for a season or 2 with big, big funds. Words like "project" or "development" are alien to them, they specialise in moulding already elite talent into a trophy-winning system.

This pragmatic style might work in Serie A, where Mourinho is having a nice time now, but in the PL these days it's ineffective and laughed at. Almost every team in the league plays more attractive and entertaining football than Spurs, who just rely on magic from some star players. Yet, for all this pragmatism, they have conceded the first goal 10 matches in a row. This Conte team, who spent £170m in the summer, have conceded the most goals of the Big 7 this season.

He is hugely overrated and failing badly. Back to Italy is the move for Mr. Conte.

Back