Any gardeners out there?

KingKhanWC

Test Captain
Runs
I have a couple of these plants in my living room but one of them has started to die. Half of the leaves have fallen off. Does anyone know how to bring this back to life? :(

yucca.jpg

I'm looking to buy a couple more house plants, any recommendations?

What do you guys have in your house?

Cheers.

Best way

watering.jpg

And I love gardening myself but since I moved into an apartment I only have few indoor plants

Last edited:
where abouts are you? Whats the weather like?

That plant is a Yucca (many different varieties of those - Google Yucca)- those are one of the toughest plants around.

Too much water is the biggest issue with those- they are originally from Mexico (from memory) and like sun.

standing water is death for them - too much damp pot etc isnt good. let them see some sun and make sure to water only if the soil has no water at all.

Hope this helps,

where abouts are you? Whats the weather like?

That plant is a Yucca (many different varieties of those - Google Yucca)- those are one of the toughest plants around.

Too much water is the biggest issue with those- they are originally from Mexico (from memory) and like sun.

standing water is death for them - too much damp pot etc isnt good. let them see some sun and make sure to water only if the soil has no water at all.

Hope this helps,

Thanks dude.

I'm from the West Midlands , UK but the plant is indoors? The weather is warming up and it's been sunny for a week or so.

So do I just pop outdoors for a while? Also will the leaves just start to grow again or will I need to add some type of plant food.

The plant isn't expensive but I don't really want to get rid of it.

Thanks dude.

I'm from the West Midlands , UK but the plant is indoors? The weather is warming up and it's been sunny for a week or so.

So do I just pop outdoors for a while? Also will the leaves just start to grow again or will I need to add some type of plant food.

The plant isn't expensive but I don't really want to get rid of it.

If the plant has always been inside then see if you can keep it near the window or some where it can get some sun. Dont need to change the environment completely.

As a rule don't water it unless its too hot and even in summer only once, twice a month.

yuccas dont need any fertillizer or any extras.

Basically these are tough plants which can be killed by only too much water- (they can stand heat, cold, drought, bad soils etc no issues!)

They are beautiful and I love them too! Many different kind of varieties in these plants.

Three key tips that I have learnt from my mother about indoor plants:

1. Do not water too often - for most plants, once a week is MORE than enough, and every two weeks is fine for some 'desert' plants.

2. Plant food is crucial - too many amateur gardeners forget this, especially for indoor plants.

3. Nothing beats sunlight and plants need that - the more sun it gets, the happier it looks. It couldn't be more simpler :)

^^

Cheers guys, much appreciated.

"the more sun it gets, the happier it looks. It couldn't be more simpler"

It's not that simple when you live in England. :)

Live in an apartment so I only have a few plants beside my HUGE window and since my room is on the sunny side, my plants are quite happy and healthy.:D

I wouldn't claim to be a green finger but I love gardening. Planted a plum tree a couple of years back and last year it gave the most amazing plums I have ever tasted. So this year I've planted a cherry tree and a peach tree and can't wait for them to fruit. Just yesterday I planted some strawberries which should be ready by wimbledon. All I need now is a cow ...

If the plant isnt too big check the roots for "rot damage" - standing water (e.g. in pot) can do that to roots. Even if one cannot see the water in the soil at the top sometimes water is retained in the lower part of the pot.

Still nothing to worry- if there is damage - chop off the roots that are damaged and install the plant again - Yuccas are tough soldiers.

Let us know how you go?

If the plant isnt too big check the roots for "rot damage" - standing water (e.g. in pot) can do that to roots. Even if one cannot see the water in the soil at the top sometimes water is retained in the lower part of the pot.

Still nothing to worry- if there is damage - chop off the roots that are damaged and install the plant again - Yuccas are tough soldiers.

Let us know how you go?

Thanks for this advice. Will let you know.

I like doing gardening to some extent and like having a good yard etc etc.

Recently what I have heard and seen is that boiled egg remaining salt water is good for the plants. There is one of the few indoor plants (I am not into indoor plants guy) and that plant wasn't in its greatest health so after that water I see a change.

Salaam. Alhamdulillah, we have a big and nice yard and in the Summer my parents are out there and fixing stuff and buying seeds to we can grow new plants, fruits, etc :D

Not THAT exotical conditions in Norway, but we do get some stuff. "Home made" fruit are 1000 better than those you get in store, even though they have the "Ecological" stamp and all that on them.

I HATE gardening, or maybe it is because everytime I am watching a match my dad says come outside we have to fix some stuff :inti

BUMP.

I do plenty of gardening for a small back yard.

This year we are growing

1) Habanero Peppers

2) Cabbage

3) Jalapeño

4) Mint (growing from last summer, they never die, they are like undertaker)

5) Small egg plants

6) Strawberries

7) Banana papers

8) Lemon Grass

9) Mosquito Plant (Citronella)

10) Petunias

11) Roses

12) Plantain lilies (they are struggling)

13) And some other plants with flowers I don't remember their names.

I am once again looking for some new house plants, the previous ones have once again sadly perished.

Back