Asad Shafiq - The man of crisis

Exactly, Asad just played a brilliant inning and instead of praising him we have people taking shots at him:110:. Just imagine if it was Umer Akmal that played this inning, there would have been threads comparing him with bradman.

no one is taking shots at him
just arguing that it is unfair to judge at this stage...
shafiq fans believe that liking umar is hating shafiq and umar fans believe liking shafiq is hating umar...

shafiq fans believe that liking umar is hating shafiq and umar fans believe liking shafiq is hating umar...

Shafiq fan, hate Umar only because he makes my blood boil by throwing it away, the second he gets responsible, we've got our post-Misbah/Younis middle order

Exactly, Asad just played a brilliant inning and instead of praising him we have people taking shots at him:110:. Just imagine if it was Umer Akmal that played this inning, there would have been threads comparing him with bradman.

Brilliant? Praise? He made an 80 run knock. If that classifies as brilliant in the Test arena now, then we've set the bar really low.

Its umar fans who have made it this way, just go to a earlier threads AKmal fans like Bullet Drive were taking shots at Asad for no reason. BD actually wanted AYub to replace Asad based on one innings :110:.

Brilliant? Praise? He made an 80 run knock. If that classifies as brilliant in the Test arena now, then we've set the bar really low.

It might have been only 80 runs but look at the situation he came in at, If it wasn't for Asad/YK we would have been completely humiliated at least after his 80 runs and YK's innings, we can actually say that we fought in the match.

In a match where everyone else collapsed? It's pretty good, need centuries though, from him, Azhar and Umar. All of them have this problem but it's a good one to have compared to the duck problems others have

In a match where everyone else collapsed? It's pretty good, need centuries though, from him, Azhar and Umar. All of them have this problem but it's a good one to have compared to the duck problems others have

not every one collapsed ...adnan survived even with new ball ..and we know how mediocre he is.....

Its umar fans who have made it this way, just go to a earlier threads AKmal fans like Bullet Drive were taking shots at Asad for no reason. BD actually wanted AYub to replace Asad based on one innings :110:.

bd loves umar as batsman more than any one else ...so it is not his fault really..
in the same way shafiq fans are also degrading akmal based on one innings ..even umar has not played for so long..

Shafiq fan, hate Umar only because he makes my blood boil by throwing it away, the second he gets responsible, we've got our post-Misbah/Younis middle order

umar and shafiq both are part of post misbah middle order..
both have problems.....shafiq litle bit technical and umar little bit mental as a result of media praising

Played well but wasn't there a crisis first innings too? I'd still take Umar over Shafiq, any day!
Wrongly given out.
malik got 150 against murali and co to draw the match...so he should be called better than shafiq...
The ****?
but is yet to pass a real test because he failed in his only tough tour of windies
Toughest test was the England series, came out as the most instrumental batsmen along Azhar in winning the series. Why don't you just admit being wrong in saying Ayub should replace Asad after the first innings?
shafiq could even not survive a new ball...was clueless in the first innings against newish ball
Asad played a total of 6 deliveries in the 21st and 22nd overs all of which being from spinners, before being wrongly given out. "Could not survive the new ball"? "Was clueless against the new ball"? lol. Why the crappy bias and lies?

Last edited:
umar and shafiq both are part of post misbah middle order..
both have problems.....shafiq litle bit technical and umar little bit mental as a result of media praising

One has worked hard to reduce it, one hasn't shown any attempt so far. Umar has this great thing that he can unsettle bowlers by moving around, just need to sort his mental problem

Wrongly given out.

The ****?

Toughest test was the England series, came out as the most instrumental batsmen along Azhar in winning the series.

Asad played a total of 6 deliveries in the 21st and 22nd overs all of which being from spinners, before being wrongly given out. "Could not survive the new ball"? "Was clueless against the new ball"? lol. Why the crappy bias and lies?

yes malik comparison was wrong i knew..... as saying asad the best was wrong based on on small sample size.......

i said toughest test outside asian pitches.....

because history shows he has not survived with new ball

because history shows he has not survived with new ball
Heh. Don't give me that bull, you said Shafiq couldn't survive the new ball and was found clueless in the first innings,
shafiq could even not survive a new ball...was clueless in the first innings against newish ball
When infact Asad played a total of 6 deliveries in the 21st and 22nd overs all of which being from spinners, before being wrongly given out. You lied.

Asad is the one for the future.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk

Why are there asad fans and umar fans?Cant we all just be pakistani fans and support anyone who does well???

Why are there asad fans and umar fans?Cant we all just be pakistani fans and support anyone who does well???

Because Asad fans want Asad in the team, and Umar fans want Umar in the team, and they both cant be in the team at the same time.

there is not much to improve either mate...
was performing when dropped to get in ********...
dont know why asad fans are over the moon...it was a decent 80 on a low slow wicket..aided by sangakkara's drop catch..
by this way adnan has done a better job...remained not out and faced kula and herath with new ball..
and we know how average akmal is.....it was no way an outstanding performance as adnan proved

lol what performances are u talking about? He had a good start to his career no doubt but since then he is going downhill. And the way he manages to get himself out is just atrocious.

Attachments

• Untitledz.jpg
    Untitledz.jpg
    270.2 KB · Views: 358
Last edited:
so is it possible to drop even if some one scored the most after only the captain??
and bhae sahb those 2 scores were in latest matches he played ..
shafiq's 40's is the performance and cements his place and umar's 40's cause for his ouster..
set the same standards ,,,
if shafiq only failed in westindies then umar also only failed in england but umar did recovered in last two games by our standards..
the difference is shafiq had only 2 tests as examination against sammy and co..where as umar had anderson and co in tougher conditions for 4 games ..with no one else senior in the team...

1 Century and 6 50s in 30 Innings is all Umar Akmal has come up with

and yes 22 of his latest innings has only 2 Scores for 50+
Think about this for a while

lol what performances are u talking about? He had a good start to his career no doubt but since then he is going downhill. And the way he manages to get himself out is just atrocious.

Yes those performances were poor but look at his recent ones. Also take a look at other batsman who performed in those matches with him and check their averages. Mohammed Yousuf struggled over there in England and he has a double ton in those conditions.

The conditions of the English 2010 Summer were some of the toughest I've ever seen yet Umar still managed a 79*. He was set for a ton until Mr.Asif decided to be a hero. I don't believe Shafiq would do to well in those conditions but you never know. Shafiq hasn't played in Australia & England. The toughest places to bat. Umar has and still Umar has a similar test record to Asad.

I of course want Shafiq to do well. I want every player to do well when playing for Pakistan but I simply feel that Umar is the better player and he can do more for Pakistan. He is the better batsman and that's shown through his FC stats and his LOI performances.

I was speaking to Dav Whatmore's daughter on Twitter today and she was telling me how Umar is so passionate about his cricket and he wants to learn more all the time etc. She told me he's determined to do well in test cricket etc. She said that he told her he's the highest rank Pakistani batsman(ODI's) and she said it was sweet the way he said it with such pride. Also Hong Kong sixes Umar was speaking to Sanath Jayasuria and he expressed how much he wants to play test cricket again.

I agree Umar has problems but so does Shafiq. Umar gets shouted at for not converting starts, well isn't that the same as the rest of the batsman? They all do it including the captain. The only one who successfully converts in our team is Younis Khan and Taufeeq to an extent. The rest have very very poor conversion rates. Time and time again I see Shafiq making starts and then failing to convert. The only ton he has is against Bangladesh on the flattest of wickets ever and even then he was dropped multiple times.

It's not that I'm hating towards Shafiq, as I said I want him to do well. I just feel Umar could serve Pakistan a whole lot better. You want him to be a proper batsman? Bat him up the order and allow him to learn how to build and construct an innings properly. He'll only learn whilst being out there. You can't learn that from the nets. Only when given an opportunity you can learn too. It also seems Umar has the backing of Dav according to media reports and others etc.

was second highest scorer against windies..

you only highlighted your suited part...

also see below...he was again upside..

also see shafiq's 48 in 4 inns in westindies

Last edited:
1 Century and 6 50s in 30 Innings is all Umar Akmal has come up with

and yes 22 of his latest innings has only 2 Scores for 50+
Think about this for a while

you should also think that shafiq scored 48 in 4 inns in westindied..

and what about those who were playing in those same matches???how many hundreds were scored by others???

you should also think who was better when they both played in the Caribbean??

better if you present me the facts that who was the better in westindies tour...because he was dropped after that ??

how many hundreds shafiq has come up with him..only one mediocre hundred against bangladesh..

a player should not be dropped because of 6 months past performance when his recent performance is improving

you should also think that shafiq scored 48 in 4 inns in westindied..

and what about those who were playing in those same matches???how many hundreds were scored by others???

you should also think who was better when they both played in the Caribbean??

better if you present me the facts that who was the better in westindies tour...because he was dropped after that ??

how many hundreds shafiq has come up with him..only one mediocre hundred against bangladesh..

a player should not be dropped because of 6 months past performance when his recent performance is improving

Ur argument is to drop Asad Shafiq after one bad series in Windies?

Umar Akmal has come up with 1 freakin Century and that too against New Zealand yes New Zealand and their Mighty World Class Bowling attack back in 2009

Concerning his "Fifties" in Alien conditions? Making a Score of 50+ is the benchmark of excellent performance?

Ur argument is to drop Asad Shafiq after one bad series in Windies?

Umar Akmal has come up with 1 freakin Century and that too against New Zealand yes New Zealand and their Mighty World Class Bowling attack back in 2009

Concerning his "Fifties" in Alien conditions? Making a Score of 50+ is the benchmark of excellent performance?

my argument is not for dropping asad for one bad performance..

my argument is dropping of akmal after one good performance..

dont be so biased ...the fact is umar's century was against bond and vettori on debut and overseas..better than shafiq's one against bangladesh....

shafiq has also not scored many fifties and hundreds either shafiq's 40's are considered excellent performance against england??

my argument is not for dropping asad for one bad performance..

my argument is dropping of akmal after one good performance..

dont be so biased ...the fact is umar's century was against bond and vettori on debut and overseas..better than shafiq's one against bangladesh....

shafiq has also not scored many fifties and hundreds either shafiq's 40's are considered excellent performance against england??

Had Shafiq made a Century today ur argument would have been null and void as SL > NZ

And there are no familiar conditions because our Young players havent played a Single Match at Home

Umar Akmal is reckless and currently not fit for Test Matches
Im not being Biased here but merely looking at 2x Fifties in 22 innings

Also Umar Akmal being very young as a whole career ahead of him
but Shafiq is 26 and we need him to be an established player by the time Misbah/Younus Retire

This guy needs to be given the #5 spot in ODI's too.

Very talented and looks classy whenever he shuffles around the crease and deposits the ball towards the leg-side.

I don't get why people compare him with Umar. All of Asad, Umar and Azhar are superb Pakistani talents and have loads of potential. Back all of them, people!

Had Shafiq made a Century today ur argument would have been null and void as SL > NZ

And there are no familiar conditions because our Young players havent played a Single Match at Home

Umar Akmal is reckless and currently not fit for Test Matches
Im not being Biased here but merely looking at 2x Fifties in 22 innings

Also Umar Akmal being very young as a whole career ahead of him
but Shafiq is 26 and we need him to be an established player by the time Misbah/Younus Retire

home conditions are same for each player but even then shafiq has played on Asian pitches..

no way sl is a greater challenge than nz for our batsmen, when you are playing in nz...

we also need akmal to be an established player when younis.misbah retire..

Last edited:
Very good find for Pakistan....
yeah he is improving. His last 10 scores are:
7*, 104, 42, 16, 58, 43, 45, 5, 0, 80
averaging 40

The competition for middle order in tests is tough. Asad Shafiq have to score a 50 in every other inning to keep his place. Umar Akmal is there. Dogar looks a good player too.

Last edited:
home conditions are same for each player but even then shafiq has played on Asian pitches..

no way sl is good than nz for our batsmen when you are playing in nz...

we also need akmal to be an established player when younis.misbah retire..

Bottom Line is our Test Team is performing brilliantly as our undefeated 7 Series Streak points to it

No need to push in Umar Akmal into the team just for the sake of having him
His time will come and hopefully he will make the most of his opportunity

Bottom Line is our Test Team is performing brilliantly as our undefeated 7 Series Streak points to it

No need to push in Umar Akmal into the team just for the sake of having him
His time will come and hopefully he will make the most of his opportunity

yes he will

but my headache is should have not been dropped from srilanka tour after not getting a single game against england....it was not common sense

was second highest scorer against windies..

you only highlighted your suited part...

also see below...he was again upside..

also see shafiq's 48 in 4 inns in westindies

Highest scorer against westindies, lowest scorer against westindies, westindies westindies westindies

Is this the best you can come up with?

Umar Akmal could do a Gilchrist and
Asad Shafiq could do a Jayawardene and
Hafeez could do waterboy job
for Pakistan.

End of

Highest scorer against westindies, lowest scorer against westindies, westindies westindies westindies

Is this the best you can come up with?

only england tour you can come up with???

show me what have you to show for asad 's miracles???

because the only time they played together ....because the standard is same here..same circumstances..

other wise asad has only played on asian pitches..

Last edited:

show me what have you show for asad 's miracles???

because the only time they played together

did not he play in England? I remember Momo was very excited about his debut inning.

did not he play in England? I remember Momo was very excited about his debut inning.

yes in odi's ...not in cloudy and seaming conditions of test matches...

all i say that if umar has not done exceptional then asad has also not done more than him...

because the only time they played together ....because the standard is same here..same circumstances..

The fact of the matter is UA sucks whereas Asad doesn't. Accept it.

yes in odi's ...not in cloudy and seaming conditions of test matches...

all i say that if umar has not done exceptional then asad has also not done more than him...
yeah got it. He debut in ODIs there. He was not selected in test squad. Actually I think he was not selected in ODI squad as well and he was on Pakistan A tour to Sri Lanka and something happened and he was called from Sri Lanka to England to debut in ODIs.

Last edited:
Asad has good temperament over Akmal, Although Akmal is more talented and has all the strokes but he has to learn to build innings,where Asad has patience and plays responsibly.

Last edited:
^
yeah...both have not played long innings...but i dont know how akmal will learn to play long by slogging in powerplay and featuring in bpl and slpl and hong kong sixes..

and he does not feature in first class games regularly because he has to fulfill his responsibility of slogging assigned to him in odi team...

akmal will still make enough money by playing in bpl and slpl but the fans and pakistan will be deprived of an exceptional talent....we forget that we dont get good batting talent often...

Best thing about Asad is that he isnt prone to brain fartish attacks and never throws his wicket away! Thats enough for him to be better than Umar Fartmal, Stats come later.

Last edited:
:)) Asad never throws his wicket away. Don't think you've been watching cricket. If Asad never throws his wicket away he'd have more than one ton so far. Zero ODI tons and 1 test ton against Bangladesh on the flattest wicket ever.

Do you remember England vs Pakistan. Shafiq made 58, he threw his wicket away with a wild ugly slog trying to hit the ball over mid wicket. That's giving away your wicket!

Here is Cricnfo's commentary
Swann to Asad Shafiq, OUT, 54.1 mph, big sweep attempted and given out lbw. He's gone upstairs but umpires call on review so Shafiq has to go. It was a horrible heave across the line and hit him on the back leg going on to hit the stumps. Shafiq has thrown it away there, got a bit carried away
Another one
Prasad to Asad Shafiq, OUT, Asad is gone to a pretty ordinary shot, it was short outside off, but he lazily steered it off the front foot straight to gully, even Hafeez would have taken this one
:))) :))) :)))

Last edited:
^
he almost threw it away again in last inning as well when sangakkara dropped him on 30 odd...

:)) Asad never throws his wicket away. Don't think you've been watching cricket. If Asad never throws his wicket away he'd have more than one ton so far. Zero ODI tons and 1 test ton against Bangladesh on the flattest wicket ever.

Do you remember England vs Pakistan. Shafiq made 58, he threw his wicket away with a wild ugly slog trying to hit the ball over mid wicket. That's giving away your wicket!

Another one

you can say that about pretty much any batsmen........ at some stage a batsmen will try for a run scoring shot, shafiq is young and inexperienced so he will get better and learn to keep to have better control on his temperament ........

the point is he fights through difficult situations, even when he is struggling....... lately umar akmal hasnt been doing that

:))) at the effort of some members to dig out cricinfo commentary to somehow prove something about Asad throwing his wicket away. that too in comparison with the king of wicket thrower, master of brain farts :umarakmal

Another one

Thats not throwing away your wicket mate.
Watch Carefully (From 3:00)
<iframe frameborder="0" width="480" height="272" src="http://www.dailymotion.com/embed/video/xo0c6n"></iframe><br /><a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xo0c6n_pak-eng-2nd-test-day1-pt3_sport" target="_blank">pak eng 2nd test day1 pt3</a> <i>by <a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/mycrickethighlightsTVx" target="_blank">mycrickethighlightsTVx</a></i>

This is how you throw away your wicket, nobody does it better than Umar Fartmal these days :)
Cant find the videos but here are cricinfo's transcripts

Sammy to Umar Akmal, OUT, caught at third man! Akmal falls playing an attacking shot once again to a delivery he didn't need to go after. Sammy bowled the ball full and wide, like the previous one. This time Akmal chased it after coming down the pitch, aiming for the big drive through cover. Instead he got a thick outside edge that flew in the air towards third man, where Rampaul ran forward and towards his left, and dived forward to take the catch, excellent catch

Umar Akmal c Rampaul b Sammy 56 (101m 88b 4x4 1x6) SR: 63.63

Bishoo to Umar Akmal, OUT, the story of Umar Akmal's career. What a tragedy.. So much promise, mingled with so much needless petulance. Bishoo's struck with one of his more ordinary balls. It's dropped quite short, on off stump line and breaking away. A rush of blood into Akmal's head, and he goes for the extravagant pull. Mistake. Top edge. Balloons up. Goes nowhere. Baugh's gloves cradle it when it comes down. See you later, Umar Akmal.

:)

What are your thoughts on this video?? Umar came it at number 4, no pressure nothing and he plays a shot like this! (4:39). Certainly our best batsman lol

<iframe frameborder="0" width="480" height="272" src="http://www.dailymotion.com/embed/video/xox4di"></iframe><br /><a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xox4di_pak-eng-4th-odi-pt2_sport" target="_blank">pak eng 4th ODI pt2</a> <i>by <a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/mycrickethighlightsTVx" target="_blank">mycrickethighlightsTVx</a></i>

Last edited:
Thats not throwing away your wicket mate.
Watch Carefully (From 3:00)
<iframe frameborder="0" width="480" height="272" src="http://www.dailymotion.com/embed/video/xo0c6n"></iframe><br /><a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xo0c6n_pak-eng-2nd-test-day1-pt3_sport" target="_blank">pak eng 2nd test day1 pt3</a> <i>by <a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/mycrickethighlightsTVx" target="_blank">mycrickethighlightsTVx</a></i>

This is how you throw away your wicket, nobody does it better than Umar Fartmal these days :)
Cant find the videos but here are cricinfo's transcripts

:)

What are your thoughts on this video?? Umar came it at number 4, no pressure nothing and he plays a shot like this! (4:39). Certainly our best batsman lol

<iframe frameborder="0" width="480" height="272" src="http://www.dailymotion.com/embed/video/xox4di"></iframe><br /><a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xox4di_pak-eng-4th-odi-pt2_sport" target="_blank">pak eng 4th ODI pt2</a> <i>by <a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/mycrickethighlightsTVx" target="_blank">mycrickethighlightsTVx</a></i>

Actually that is throwing your wicket away mate. Shafiq played really well up until that point and he then threw his wicket away. Your showing me Cricinfo's commentary for Umar throwing his wicket away but you don't accept it when I show you Cricinfo's commentary of Shaifq throwing his wicket away?

Also yes I agree a poor shot from Umar in that WI test series twice. He batted really well and gave his wicket away but I'd rather he'd bat well and then give his wicket away then not bat well at all. Shafiq averaged 12 in that series. Umar averaged 42. Shafiq made a total of 48 runs in 4 innings. In one innings Shafiq made 42 so that means in 3 innings Shafiq made 6 runs.

Also that video where Umar came in at 4. It's an ODI, attacking shots like that happen. You play shots like that in ODI cricket. Sometimes it comes off, sometimes it doesn't. Was a poor shot though, yes I agree but twice before that ball he came down the track and hit the spinner to extra cover for a boundary. Briggs bowled the delivery well and held it back. Umar then had to go through with the shot and it lobbed up in the air. It was good bowling but equally poor batting but Umar is only 22. He's our best ODI batsman which is clearly evident from watching him and also checking the rankings. It was his first time batting at that position. He is still developing and he will soon err out these silly little errors. He's got a great coach in Dav to help him. Before Dav which coach could actually help Umar. Waqar was a bowling coach. Doesn't know anything about batting and then Intikhab Alam? A leg-spinning slogger?

Last edited:
Actually that is throwing your wicket away mate. Shafiq played really well up until that point and he then threw his wicket away. Your showing me Cricinfo's commentary for Umar throwing his wicket away but you don't accept it when I show you Cricinfo's commentary of Shaifq throwing his wicket away?

Also yes I agree a poor shot from Umar in that WI test series twice. He batted really well and gave his wicket away but I'd rather he'd bat well and then give his wicket away then not bat well at all. Shafiq averaged 12 in that series. Umar averaged 42. Shafiq made a total of 48 runs in 4 innings. In one innings Shafiq made 42 so that means in 3 innings Shafiq made 6 runs.

Also that video where Umar came in at 4. It's an ODI, attacking shots like that happen. You play shots like that in ODI cricket. Sometimes it comes off, sometimes it doesn't. Was a poor shot though, yes I agree but twice before that ball he came down the track and hit the spinner to extra cover for a boundary. Briggs bowled the delivery well and held it back. Umar then had to go through with the shot and it lobbed up in the air. It was good bowling but equally poor batting but Umar is only 22. He's our best ODI batsman which is clearly evident from watching him and also checking the rankings. It was his first time batting at that position. He is still developing and he will soon err out these silly little errors. He's got a great coach in Dav to help him. Before Dav which coach could actually help Umar. Waqar was a bowling coach. Doesn't know anything about batting and then Intikhab Alam? A leg-spinning slogger?

Nope i don't think that's called throwing away your wicket! I will label it as loss of concentration and get out of prison shot! And the most important thing its rare in Asad's case!

I mean Umar has made a knack of throwing his wicket again again and every-time he finds a new way to do that! How on earth can such a player play test cricket ?? You need rock solid temperament and skill for that and i believe Asad is on the right track, He is less talented than Umar but surely a hard-working fellow who is keen on not repeating the same mistake again n again. Thats why his performance is improving despite he's not given a regular run like Umar!

Sometimes?? I doubt that! Umar mostly throws it away. Take a look what Shoaib has to say about him.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zBmja7EVLp4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

LOL how can a coach teach you not to brain fart?? Afridi is a prime example for you. Players like Inzimam, Yousuf, Younis excelled because of their talent and hardwork. No coach made them what they are right now. Intikhab was our coach when Inzi came into international scene!! Fail theory i am afraid its just that Umar is not keen on improving. A kick on the backside might do the job IMO.

Last edited:
Nope i don't think that's called throwing away your wicket! I will label it as loss of concentration and get out of prison shot! And the most important thing its rare in Asad's case!

I mean Umar has made a knack of throwing his wicket again again and every-time he finds a new way to do that! How on earth can such a player play test cricket ?? You need rock solid temperament and skill for that and i believe Asad is on the right track, He is less talented than Umar but surely a hard-working fellow who is keen on not repeating the same mistake again n again. Thats why his performance is improving despite he's not given a regular run like Umar!

Sometimes?? I doubt that! Umar mostly throws it away. Take a look what Shoaib has to say about him.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zBmja7EVLp4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

LOL how can a coach teach you not to brain fart?? Afridi is a prime example for you. Players like Inzimam, Yousuf, Younis excelled because of their talent and hardwork. No coach made them what they are right now. Intikhab was our coach when Inzi came into international scene!! Fail theory i am afraid its just that Umar is not keen on improving. A kick on the backside might do the job IMO.

Umar is not keen on improving? You seriously do not know much about him then. He is one of the most passionate cricketers you'll find and this is evident from the way he throws him self round the field and the look on his face when he gets out. He wants to do well for Pakistan and I don't know how you can say Umar is not keen on improving.

I was speaking to Dav Whatmore's daughter on Twitter today and she was telling me how Umar is so passionate about his cricket and he wants to learn more all the time etc. She told me he's determined to do well in test cricket etc. She said that he told her he's the highest rank Pakistani batsman(ODI's) and she said it was sweet the way he said it with such pride. Also Hong Kong sixes Umar was speaking to Sanath Jayasuria and he expressed how much he wants to play test cricket again. By speaking to a former great it shows he wants to improve and wants to learn.

And of course a coach can teach you. That's what a coach's job is actually. It's not 'brain farts' that's just a stupid term on PP used by users like you. It's just poor shot selection which is done by all batsman, more so in Umar's case but he's young and will improve. Throwing your wicket away comes under poor shot selection. Dav can teach Umar about shot selection and how to construct an innings but the main way of learning is to bat up the order and have a consistent run there.

Look at Kohli and then look at Akmal. They both started off at roughly the same level in terms of talent and skills, but look at where Kohli is now. Akmal is not even close to polishing his shoes.

^
he does not need to be a shoe polisher...he is a good batsman...

there is only difference of shot selection...kohli has been given the batting position of his desire...where as akmal is being used in powerplay or slog overs..same is the case with chandimal who has been given number 4..

come back know it is a asad shafiq thread ..so control your hatred for akmal...

and it would be better if you post something to show how asad is a man of crises..

Umar is not keen on improving? You seriously do not know much about him then. He is one of the most passionate cricketers you'll find and this is evident from the way he throws him self round the field and the look on his face when he gets out. He wants to do well for Pakistan and I don't know how you can say Umar is not keen on improving.

I was speaking to Dav Whatmore's daughter on Twitter today and she was telling me how Umar is so passionate about his cricket and he wants to learn more all the time etc. She told me he's determined to do well in test cricket etc. She said that he told her he's the highest rank Pakistani batsman(ODI's) and she said it was sweet the way he said it with such pride. Also Hong Kong sixes Umar was speaking to Sanath Jayasuria and he expressed how much he wants to play test cricket again. By speaking to a former great it shows he wants to improve and wants to learn.

And of course a coach can teach you. That's what a coach's job is actually. It's not 'brain farts' that's just a stupid term on PP used by users like you. It's just poor shot selection which is done by all batsman, more so in Umar's case but he's young and will improve. Throwing your wicket away comes under poor shot selection. Dav can teach Umar about shot selection and how to construct an innings but the main way of learning is to bat up the order and have a consistent run there.

What improvement are you talking about? Going by the stats his average is consistently going down instead of going up. We once compared him to Virat Kohli but now we cant even compare him with Suresh Raina :facepalm:

And about the daughter thing! ''Actions speak louder than words''. He needs to show how determined he is. Making facial expression means nothing, are u implying that other batsmen laugh cluelessly after getting out and walk towards dressing room? lol
Did you watch Kamran's face after dropping dollies?? Lame excuse seriously!

Asad and Azhar never took any special coaching classes but still they are constructing their innings way better than Umar. He just doesnt want to learn! Simple is that..

What improvement are you talking about? Going by the stats his average is consistently going down instead of going up. We once compared him to Virat Kohli but now we cant even compare him with Suresh Raina :facepalm:

And about the daughter thing! ''Actions speak louder than words''. He needs to show how determined he is. Making facial expression means nothing, are u implying that other batsmen laugh cluelessly after getting out and walk towards dressing room? lol
Did you watch Kamran's face after dropping dollies?? Lame excuse seriously!

Asad and Azhar never took any special coaching classes but still they are constructing their innings way better than Umar. He just doesnt want to learn! Simple is that..

Virat Kohli plays alongside legends of the game. He's been coached by Dav before. He's been coached by Kirsten and he's had a great development. He is a wonderful batsman and is very very talented. Suresh Raina too is a good batsman but Umar Akmal is a much better batsman. Umar has superior stats to Raina in both test and ODI cricket so I don't know where you got the struggling bit from.

I'm not implying that. Stop assuming things. Your saying that he doesn't want to improve. I'm saying of course he does due to the reasons I've told you. You can see he wants to. Not a lame excuse. You just gave a lame poor statemtn.

Asad & Azhar are different types of batsman. They are older and have a lot more first class experience and they do not know how to construct an innings that well really. Asad has only 1 international ton and that is against Bangladesh. This shows he isn't constructing and finishing well as your saying. Azhar Ali too isn't too good at constructing an innings. He has a poor conversion rate in test cricket which shows his innings construction isn't there. Nasser Hussain said this during commentary. He said that for Azhar to be a great he needs to learn to construct an innings properly by once being settled in he needs to be a bit more aggressive. So don't go acting like Shafiq & Azhar are amazing at constructing innings! Even our captain isn't good at constructing innings. He has zero ODI tons and only 3 test tons in 40 odd matches. The only batsman in Pakistan who can construct innings well are Younis, Yousuf & Taufeeq to an extent.

Virat Kohli plays alongside legends of the game. He's been coached by Dav before. He's been coached by Kirsten and he's had a great development. He is a wonderful batsman and is very very talented. Suresh Raina too is a good batsman but Umar Akmal is a much better batsman. Umar has superior stats to Raina in both test and ODI cricket so I don't know where you got the struggling bit from.

I'm not implying that. Stop assuming things. Your saying that he doesn't want to improve. I'm saying of course he does due to the reasons I've told you. You can see he wants to. Not a lame excuse. You just gave a lame poor statemtn.

Asad & Azhar are different types of batsman. They are older and have a lot more first class experience and they do not know how to construct an innings that well really. Asad has only 1 international ton and that is against Bangladesh. This shows he isn't constructing and finishing well as your saying. Azhar Ali too isn't too good at constructing an innings. He has a poor conversion rate in test cricket which shows his innings construction isn't there. Nasser Hussain said this during commentary. He said that for Azhar to be a great he needs to learn to construct an innings properly by once being settled in he needs to be a bit more aggressive. So don't go acting like Shafiq & Azhar are amazing at constructing innings! Even our captain isn't good at constructing innings. He has zero ODI tons and only 3 test tons in 40 odd matches. The only batsman in Pakistan who can construct innings well are Younis, Yousuf & Taufeeq to an extent.

A coach can do nothing if you aren't willing to take the game seriously. Afridi has played with Inzi, Yousuf, Ijaz Ahmed and many other great players but still he is a hack !! Why didn't he transform into Don Bradman or Shane Warne? LOL
Isn't Umar the same guy who faked an injury just to get his brother back into the team ? How passionate isn't it? Do tell this to Dav Whatmor's daughter.
Raina has performed in crunch situations for India where as Umar Fartmal finds a new way to get out every-time Pakistan need him to score quick runs. (3rd T20 against England, Last Odi against Sirilanka)

Wrong ! Umar and Asad has played the same number of first class matches, 51 that is! Azhar has played 82 but he dont forget that he started his career as a leg spin bowler.
I said if we compare them to Umar their innings are very much well paced and constructed, Asad played so well in the last match on a Day four pitch with Younis, Imagine if Umar was playing here, he would have slogged it from the word go!

Point is that they dont throw it away like Umar, He is our new Afridi in the making and it would be better to kick him out if he doesn't improve. Keep backing him up blindly just because he can hit a few. Test cricket is not for brainless sloggers :)

Last edited:
Asad ain't an Inzi but compared to Ukmal Yuckmal he is at a different level.

tumblr_m2ncoyinhG1qegw8v.gif

Guys seriously stop the comparison here , Asad and umar are our assets and both will play tests after the exit of misbah (in a year time). Both are quality , asad being more mature as he is much older and umar will be mature in 2 years time and after then we can judge him perfectly.

How did his thread become an Asad vs Umer topic? The OP was about praising our talented batsman who has been performing well mashaAllah. Stop the comparisons- its just useless and out of context here. Its not that hard, really.

Guys seriously stop the comparison here , Asad and umar are our assets and both will play tests after the exit of misbah (in a year time). Both are quality , asad being more mature as he is much older and umar will be mature in 2 years time and after then we can judge him perfectly.

yeah....comparison was started by asad fans and akmal haters ... you can see this in earlier posts....

Umar Akmal fanboys are crying as Shafiq continues to show why he is in a different league to the overrated & immature Umar Akmal.

^
shafiq fans started bashing akmal because of his average 80 against poor lankan attack..

hmmm...here and there but not in your own post???perhaps you are waiting for lankans to give taufeeq some chances to save his career....you would be better in praising taufeeq in your post

A coach can do nothing if you aren't willing to take the game seriously. Afridi has played with Inzi, Yousuf, Ijaz Ahmed and many other great players but still he is a hack !! Why didn't he transform into Don Bradman or Shane Warne? LOL
Isn't Umar the same guy who faked an injury just to get his brother back into the team ? How passionate isn't it? Do tell this to Dav Whatmor's daughter.
Raina has performed in crunch situations for India where as Umar Fartmal finds a new way to get out every-time Pakistan need him to score quick runs. (3rd T20 against England, Last Odi against Sirilanka)

Wrong ! Umar and Asad has played the same number of first class matches, 51 that is! Azhar has played 82 but he dont forget that he started his career as a leg spin bowler.
I said if we compare them to Umar their innings are very much well paced and constructed, Asad played so well in the last match on a Day four pitch with Younis, Imagine if Umar was playing here, he would have slogged it from the word go!

Point is that they dont throw it away like Umar, He is our new Afridi in the making and it would be better to kick him out if he doesn't improve. Keep backing him up blindly just because he can hit a few. Test cricket is not for brainless sloggers :)

Okay they've played the same amount of first class games. Check who has the better average? Umar Akmal wins. Every time Shafiq & Umar have played on the same pitch Umar has outscored Shafiq.

Umar & Shafiq played against West Indies together. On that tour Shafiq made 48 runs in 4 innings. 1 innings he made 42 runs which means in 3 innings Shafiq scored 6 runs. Umar Akmal on the other hand averaged 42 across 4 innings.

Shafiq did play well recently on a day 4 pitch yes but he was dropped if you remember + he never converted his start into a ton which seems to be an everlasting problem for Shafiq. He needs to improve too. Your acting as if he's perfect and Umar's the one with all the problems.

They don't throw it away? I've already given you an example of Shafiq throwing his wicket away once settled in a test match so don't be saying nonsense. Also backing Umar blindly would be backing him without stats or anything. I've shown you stats and I've given you information on the countries and conditions they have played and its clear Umar is much better.

The next tough away tour we have is against South Africa in South Africa. This will be a massive tour and I see Umar getting a test spot by then due to his amazing ODI performances. That tour will show you and others who criticise Akmal what he is made of and it will show you he's a much better batsman than Shafiq. Of course I want Shafiq to do well, I want all of Pakistan to do well but I know and feel Umar will do better. Simply because he is the better batsman.

REMEMBER - UMAR IS ONLY 22 YEARS OF AGE. HE HAS DONE WELL SO FAR IN HIS SHORT CAREER AND HE IS STILL DEVELOPING AS A CRICKETER. ALL EX-CRICKETERS/PUNDITS RECOGNISE HIM AS ONE OF THE MOST TALENTED CRICKETERS IN THE WORLD. HE WILL BECOME THE BEST IN THE WORLD BUT GIVE IT TIME AND HAVE FAITH. THE PROBLEM WITH MOST FANS ON HERE IS THEY EXPECT WAY TO MUCH OFF A PLAYER STRAIGHT AWAY. ALL PLAYERS TAKE TIME TO DEVELOP AND UMAR IS STILL DEVELOPING. HE IS ONLY 22 AND ALREADY HE IS THE HIGHEST RANKED ODI BATSMAN IN THE WHOLE OF PAKISTAN. BE PATIENT, HE WILL DELIVER MUCH MORE BETTER RESULTS.

Okay they've played the same amount of first class games. Check who has the better average? Umar Akmal wins. Every time Shafiq & Umar have played on the same pitch Umar has outscored Shafiq.

Umar & Shafiq played against West Indies together. On that tour Shafiq made 48 runs in 4 innings. 1 innings he made 42 runs which means in 3 innings Shafiq scored 6 runs. Umar Akmal on the other hand averaged 42 across 4 innings.

Shafiq did play well recently on a day 4 pitch yes but he was dropped if you remember + he never converted his start into a ton which seems to be an everlasting problem for Shafiq. He needs to improve too. Your acting as if he's perfect and Umar's the one with all the problems.

They don't throw it away? I've already given you an example of Shafiq throwing his wicket away once settled in a test match so don't be saying nonsense. Also backing Umar blindly would be backing him without stats or anything. I've shown you stats and I've given you information on the countries and conditions they have played and its clear Umar is much better.

The next tough away tour we have is against South Africa in South Africa. This will be a massive tour and I see Umar getting a test spot by then due to his amazing ODI performances. That tour will show you and others who criticise Akmal what he is made of and it will show you he's a much better batsman than Shafiq. Of course I want Shafiq to do well, I want all of Pakistan to do well but I know and feel Umar will do better. Simply because he is the better batsman.

REMEMBER - UMAR IS ONLY 22 YEARS OF AGE. HE HAS DONE WELL SO FAR IN HIS SHORT CAREER AND HE IS STILL DEVELOPING AS A CRICKETER. ALL EX-CRICKETERS/PUNDITS RECOGNISE HIM AS ONE OF THE MOST TALENTED CRICKETERS IN THE WORLD. HE WILL BECOME THE BEST IN THE WORLD BUT GIVE IT TIME AND HAVE FAITH. THE PROBLEM WITH MOST FANS ON HERE IS THEY EXPECT WAY TO MUCH OFF A PLAYER STRAIGHT AWAY. ALL PLAYERS TAKE TIME TO DEVELOP AND UMAR IS STILL DEVELOPING. HE IS ONLY 22 AND ALREADY HE IS THE HIGHEST RANKED ODI BATSMAN IN THE WHOLE OF PAKISTAN. BE PATIENT, HE WILL DELIVER MUCH MORE BETTER RESULTS.

I m not arguing about the talent, There is no doubt Umar is the better player, but when it comes to apply your talent, Asad has a clear upper hand.
Yeah lets c how Umar and Asad perform in that SA series. It will be real test for both of them.
lol Its been 4 years since we are listening that Umar will develop into a superstar someday! I hope it happens someday though the chances are very less.

Anyone knows out of how many innings in total Asad Shafiq and Misbah have played together and Shafiq got run out ?

Anyone knows out of how many innings in total Asad Shafiq and Misbah have played together and Shafiq got run out ?

First time in Asad's test career he has been run out. In ODI's he's been run out 4 times.

Thanks BD ^ And how many times it was while he was batting with :misbah ?

Umar Akmal is better than Bradman, he's the best player ever, we're keeping him out of the test squad for Mortals like Asad and Azhar. Drop them and bring in Bradman

Summary of argument of every UA fan

Umar Akmal is better than Bradman, he's the best player ever, we're keeping him out of the test squad for Mortals like Asad and Azhar. Drop them and bring in Bradman

Summary of argument of every UA fan

I'm a UA fan and that's not my argument.

I think Asad Shafiq is a decent option in test cricket over UA at the moment, but somehow UA needs to be brought in too.

He's too good to be left out.

You don't improve by not playing. UA has nothing to learn from domestic cricket.

Somehow makes no sense, surely, he deserved to be in the squad ahead of Faisal and Dogra and in the first test, ahead of Dogra :dav

Not sure if serious/sarcastic, but I think the selectors took the different players for different formats too far.

Not sure if serious/sarcastic, but I think the selectors took the different players for different formats too far.
Don't you think he deserved to be ahead of Dogra? I do and I'm not much of a fan. One's a proven performer, one's an old person with less than 5 years left

Don't you think he deserved to be ahead of Dogra? I do and I'm not much of a fan. One's a proven performer, one's an old person with less than 5 years left

Dogar earned his spot, that guy has been averaging around 60 in the last few domestic season. it would be unfair to disregard his performance just cause of his age. if we are going to do that than we might as well ban 30+ cricketers from playing in the domestic arena. If the Australians had the same attitude than Hussey would never have had played for them.(Hussey was 30 when he made his debut).BTW i am not comparing Hussey with Dogar, its just an example.

Back