Asad Shafiq - The man of crisis

very good knock. I agree that he is playing better in crisis situations. Pakistan's future middle order is safe.

I think he is playing at the wrong position. He is better suited for #3 or #4. At #6 you need someone like Umar Akmal (with a better brain).

Last edited:
The moment our new comers get any idea that their place is not in danger for 4 or 5 games they start to take it easy.....Adnan akmal did so yesterday..similarly Azhar played a loose shot which is unlikely from Azhar.....Shafiq has played with in his limitations and that is the way to go...it will be better if he continues to give his best by avoiding having a go at the short ball and the good length ball outside off....he has these 2 slight weaknesses...but he knows that and tries to over come it by commitment and patience..

Every post of U.Akmal fan club in this thread is just devaluing their credibility. If they can't take Asad's success its better to stay away from thread.:facepalm:

His temperament is great and he has shown countless times that he can play under pressure. Great innings would have been even better had he made a century.

He only hit 70 odd runs...asad fans are making out like he hit a triple century.

Tho credit should be given to him.

:110:

Scoring 70 odd runs when your team is in alot of trouble on a pitch where even the likes of Sanga and Mahela looked like rookies is imo comparable to scoring a triple century on a road.

He only hit 70 odd runs...asad fans are making out like he hit a triple century.

True because YK, Misbah and Azhar Ali all hit double centuries on this batting paradise of a pitch. The SL batsmen are also nearing their centuries right now.

I agree, its a triple century pitch and he only managed to hit 70 odd runs! Pathetic !!

He is not a triple century material though. I think he will have problems scoring 100s in his test career.

He is weak against left arm spinners.He was owned by monty in the ENG series and then Herath troubled him in the last series as well as in this series.

:kp has the same problem too.

Shafiq really played like an 'Asad' ('lion' from Arabic) and has shown on quite a few occasions that he can be a regular in Pakistan´s Test team and be the official "man of crisis".

However, do not forget Adnan Akmal´s contribution. Playing with a fractured finger isn´t easy. Brave man:14:!

One thing,..... needs to play a complete innings. I wish for a hundred from him:).

There you go, Asad Shafiq reads PakPassion:). A hundred is not always a "complete innings" considering the match situation sometimes, but he fulfilled both the wishes that I had:19:.

another ton went in a draw...!! A Tendulker in making this young boy !!

He is weak against left arm spinners.He was owned by monty in the ENG series and then Herath troubled him in the last series as well as in this series.

:kp has the same problem too.
And he averages 43 now versus Akmal's 35.

Both of them after 16 tests.

When Akmal started his career people compared him to Kohli, now he is not even in the same league as Shafiq.

Hopefully this can put these calls for umar akmal back in for Asad to rest. They have played the same number of tests, 16. Asad has two centuries opposed to akmal's one. Asad averages 42.57 opposed to 35.82. That's a whole 7 runs better average which is a lot. He has shown he can be of worth at no.6, saving us matches, and putting us in a position to win (which we didn't pull off unfortunately).

Asad has batted more responsibly, performed more knocks under pressure than umar. Pretty much in every way asad has outperformed umar.

Really no comparison now. Umar akmal has got to wait his turn until a spot is made available.

You know things are bad when an Indian is jealous of young Pakistani batsmen !

Seems like your bad days are over guys, some really good players these are. Magnificent effort from him and Azhar.

Nice 100 but they way he batted with the tailenders (Sami, Ajmal,Gul) was pathetic pretty much expose them to most of the strike at a time when pakistan need to score runs quickly and also needed to stay in the game.

Also he should have scored alot quicker on day 5 as well from the start of play.

However hes young and will hopefully learn to bat with tail alot better. Espcially in S.A where the likes of Steyn, philander will exposed any shortcomings.

What a class player Asad Shafiq is.

He was already miles ahead (batting wise) when he first started compared to many of the tried and tested so called batsmen but this lad kept learning and look how he has further improved right in front of our eyes.

And he is just starting folks .......this is just the beginning.....

Nice 100 but they way he batted with the tailenders (Sami, Ajmal,Gul) was pathetic pretty much expose them to most of the strike at a time when pakistan need to score runs quickly and also needed to stay in the game.

Also he should have scored alot quicker on day 5 as well from the start of play.

However hes young and will hopefully learn to bat with tail alot better. Espcially in S.A where the likes of Steyn, philander will exposed any shortcomings.

Well the way he batted when Azhar was dealing in boundaries.. not scoring at all..not even rotating the strike and blocked everything.!! I'm scared he is going to be another Misbah.

He needs batting lessons from Javed Miandad on how to bat with the tail. I heard Javed Miandad was excellent in batting with the tail.

In a year or two when Misbah and Younis leave, I'll push Shafiq to number 5 and play Akmal at 4 and Usman Salahuddin at 6.

The haters were saying a few days ago that he failed to make a century so his hard earned 75 runs is a failure. Now that he's made a century under so much pressure, the haters are saying he was selfish,played slow,exposed tailenders etc. Not to mention he also gets awarded MOM. I really don't know if some people hate him as a cricketer or is it something personal? Had Umar Akmal done something like this, people would have been demanding a national holiday for him.

Last edited:
The haters were saying a few days ago that he failed to make a century so his hard earned 75 runs is a failure. Now that he's made a century under so much pressure, the haters are saying he was selfish,played slow,exposed tailenders etc. I really don't know if some people hate him as a cricketer or is it something personal? Had Umar Akmal done something like this, people would have been demanding a national holiday for him.

They hate him because he is from Karachi :yk

The haters were saying a few days ago that he failed to make a century so his hard earned 75 runs is a failure. Now that he's made a century under so much pressure, the haters are saying he was selfish,played slow,exposed tailenders etc. Not to mention he also gets awarded MOM. I really don't know if some people hate him as a cricketer or is it something personal? Had Umar Akmal done something like this, people would have been demanding a national holiday for him.

dont be stupid. Pointing problems in a player's game does not mean a person hate that player. Asad Shafiq still needs to improve his game, strike rate needs to be improved, needs to learn how to shield the tale. He is far from a finished product.

Hell!! I'd be demanding a national holiday if UA played like this, and I am not even in favor of him being in the test team.

Why so much negativety? Your post looks like you are tyring very hard to somehow appreciate his effort in this match/series.

Why so much negativety? Your post looks like you are tyring very hard to somehow appreciate his effort in this match/series.
What Amjid Javed said is 100% correct. The last recognized batsman should always try to shield the tail. Asad Shafiq should learn this art as he is playing at #6.

been saying it since I first saw him bat. he is the real deal (as in a real test player)

as for the haters well ignore them, they cant see beyond sloggers who "look good"!!

Amjid normally a very shrewd observer is missing this by a mile. Yes we can critisize Asad for going little slow at the start but you have to take into account the instruction from the dressing room. Misbah and coach did not wanted to give a small target to SL and hence both Asad and Adnan had to play slow. Additionally, in the first innings Asad was protecting the tail and got out at the most unfortuante time and was probably told not to do it again. You all have opinions but look who was awarded the MOM, there must be a reason for it.

I won't bother to respond to MRSN as his posts are generally of a lower quality so why waste time.

What Shafiq needs is to bat between Younis and Misbah. That way he will develop into a trully world class player, learn from the two aging maestros.

dont be stupid. Pointing problems in a player's game does not mean a person hate that player. Asad Shafiq still needs to improve his game, strike rate needs to be improved, needs to learn how to shield the tale. He is far from a finished product.

There should be every reason for us fans to just celebrate that Shafiq has emerged as a fine prospect(infact better prospect than Akmal).

Pointing out things like "batting with tail is bad" ... "slow strike rate" etc etc at THIS POINT... just shows something else.

Its OBVIOUS he will be having some weaknesses right now in his career so I dont see how pointing out things like these would make sense especialy when you DONT have half decent batsmen waiting to jump into the team.
All here enjoying Shafiqs' success KNOW what his problems still are. WE ALL KNOW IT. We are just happy to see our prediction that he he's going to be a fine batsman coming true in this series. Whereas most of us knew that Umar Akmal MIGHT not succeed due to his brainfarting abilities..something which has proven to be true until now as well.

There should be every reason for us fans to just celebrate that Shafiq has emerged as a fine prospect(infact better prospect than Akmal).

Pointing out things like "batting with tail is bad" ... "slow strike rate" etc etc at THIS POINT... just shows something else.

Its OBVIOUS he will be having some weaknesses right now in his career so I dont see how pointing out things like these would make sense especialy when you DONT have half decent batsmen waiting to jump into the team.
All here enjoying Shafiqs' success KNOW what his problems still are. WE ALL KNOW IT. We are just happy to see our prediction that he he's going to be a fine batsman coming true in this series. Whereas most of us knew that Umar Akmal MIGHT not succeed due to his brainfarting abilities..something which has proven to be true until now as well.
problem(s) needs to be identified before they can be resolved. If you just praise a player and dont point out his problems then you are actually doing a disservice to that player. A true fan will always want his favourite player to become better.

problem(s) needs to be identified before they can be resolved. If you just praise a player and dont point out his problems then you are actually doing a disservice to that player. A true fan will always want his favourite player to become better.

Problem is when we praise a player like no tomorrow and dismiss any suggestion of replacing that player with someone like Shafiq, despite that player having for example a dozen weaknesses.

On the other hand we become very shareefunnafs, eemandaar weakeness pointing brigade when it comes to a player who has half the weakness as compared to the former player. So its contradition.. as per Waraich.

Problem is when we praise a player like no tomorrow and dismiss any suggestion of replacing that player with someone like Shafiq, despite that player having for example a dozen weaknesses.

On the other hand we become very shareefunnafs, eemandaar weakeness pointing brigade when it comes to a player who has half the weakness as compared to the former player. So its contradition.. as per Waraich.
Most of the Asad Shafiq fans also do the same thing and are as bad as most of the Umar Akmal fans. None of them has pointed out Asad's weaknesses like Amjid Javed did. Instead they blamed Amjid Javed for telling the truth. :facepalm:

Last edited:
Now look with open eyes(to some of my best friends) that who is taking it as a chance to bash Akmal..??
Asad deserves all the praise..But no way it should undermine Akmal....
Whether Umar can do it or not.. wait for an Akmal return ..till then stop chirping and bashing..
look at Shafiq ..He has justified in his 16 game...Look at Azhar scored his 1st hundred in 15 or probably 16th game..And just when Umar was recovering ,was dropped completely from the squad after a freakish dismissal..
No doubt Asad deserves more than Akmal because of his responsible batting style...But it is not Umar's fault that Asad has done well..

Poor post bro. We've been praising him from day 1 but just like all others he has got some negative points too..He's surely a very talented batsman,one for future but he should up his strike rate a bit and play for team not for avg. or records or centuries..

been saying it since I first saw him bat. he is the real deal (as in a real test player)

as for the haters well ignore them, they cant see beyond sloggers who "look good"!!

but but but Akmal can play those moth-watering reverse sweeps and glorious cut shots. :( :(

Great to see a young batsman in our team that is not a FTB and is mentally tough enough to grind it out in such conditions. Has been our best batsman so far on this tour,

with scores of 1, 56, 45* and 50*

It doesn't get tougher than this and he has proven that he is not a flat track bully and is able to score runs in the tough conditions against a world class bowling attack.

Has an average of 36 in New Zealand as well and he has really come of age in the last year or so.

Top knock from one of the best young pakistani batsman, he has a great temparement and good technique. He need to convert these 50's to 100.

I am sure it would be a great learning curve for him to play in South africa against a strong bowling lineup.

Missed because of power cut, looks like he batted aggressively.

Good 50 from asad now he needs to convert it into a big 100.

Last edited:
Not long ago some halfwits were slating him , notwithstanding he always look talented to me in school days.

Again saving us from a crisis. :14:
Has shut up his doubters once again. This guy is the real deal!!!Keep going. :shafiq

Has to be Asads best ever test knock, well played as pakistan were in a massive hole this morning.

Very well done. Gutsy player. He needs to be a permanent member of test and ODI squads. Playing with Younis Khan is also helping him a great deal

Re: Asad Shafiq - the Man of Crisis

Looking forward to seeing the highlights. I haven't seen the innings yet. ..

Was the ball bouncing a lot. ..?

^^No, pitch doesn't have much bounce at all. Flattish wicket. But ball seamed quite a bit.

150+ here to take us past 300 would really be a supreme effort from Asad.

Re: Asad Shafiq - the Man of Crisis

^^No, pitch doesn't have much bounce at all. Flattish wicket. But ball seamed quite a bit.

Sure. .. I really want to see him playing a good knock when it's bouncing as that is my main concern with Shafiq.

But a century in SA with those bowlers and the ball moving about is still mighty impressive.

This is AS's time to shine.HE has already shut his critics up who were calling him a FTB. Guy performed in pretty much all innings. Now he can play pressure free and maybe convert that 100 to a big one !.Gotta say YK has very calming effect on young batsmen .that partnership with YK must've helped him a lot !

Asad today shoed why he is the best... you cant under mine this achievement. he came in at a pressure point with the new ball and then stuck around all day and made a good partnership. he did it in the previous innings... this guy is good. I think our highest score in south africa is 137... hope he breaks that ...

You will prolly receive this sorta text from Umer Akmal,

"oye thora hath hola rakho, this kinda post will choke my chances of getting back into the team".

I remember about a month ago umer fans used to ridicule shafiq... well the temperament in which shafiq played today is something umer can only dream about who makes a quick 30 and then throws it away.

Sure. .. I really want to see him playing a good knock when it's bouncing as that is my main concern with Shafiq.
Come on Khan JI, forget the conditions. Getting a ton after you were 33-4 and batting in alien conditions is a mighty mighty effort. Especially considering the mental scars they would have carried from Jo'burg.

You need to remove the ifs and buts while praising Asad.

What you been smoking dude. There is bounce in the pitch like most SA wickets usually have but the difference is that the wicket is not as quick as the Jo'burg wicket. Remember Misbah got bounced out and Sarfaraz got peppered with short stuff.

It is the same wicket where the first 4 batsmen got 33 total. Now if your excuse is that the first four faced the new ball, then keep in mind that Asad negotiated 10 overs with the second new ball. Don't undermine a heroic effort by a future star.

Last edited:
Back