Asad Shafiq - The man of crisis

I agree. The guy has been a regular member of the test squad and has done nothing lately. He needs to be sent back to domestic to get his form back.

the thing is we have invested 3 years in him and tbf this is his first series where he has totally failed after 2 years and more importantly the replacement will be Faisal Iqbal. I say give him one gae agianst SA and then take a desicion.

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/player/40570.html?class=1;spanmax1=04+Jun+1998;spanval1=span;template=results;type=batting

those are inzis stats he made his debut at 22 and at the age of 28 had played 47 tests for pakistan and scored nearly 3000 test runs, look at his performances.

and people are trying to compare shafiqs and azhars who will take the mantle and grouping in them in the same category of recent greats for pakistan like inzamam/yousuf/younis khan. :))

at age of 23 yusuf then youhanna made his debut for pakistan by age of 28 his stats

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/player/43650.html?class=1;spanmax1=27+Aug+2002;spanval1=span;template=results;type=batting

not just test record people can click on the odi records of that same period and see how both players were even big matchwinners as youngsters for pakistan in odis, yousuf from age 23-28 had played 110 odi games for pakistan.
with inzi by that time massing 163 games and scoring 5000+ odi runs

there is no comparision at all shafiq and azhars are not worth the dirt of yousuf and inzi or younis khans boots.

^ exactly , pakistan should do what they should never have stopped doing. Invest in Umar Akmal. Out of the current lot he is the most likely to reach the hieghts of moyo and inzi.

This isnt to say we should do away with shafiq, just have a realistic exepectations

So far so good. Shameful to see some people praying that he fails. Quite despicable. :sohail

Asad Shafiq said to me 'next time you see me play, you will see a new Asad Shafiq' and right now we are. He's playing Herath superbly. And the most important thing is he's attacking, if hes playing like this we don't need U.Akmal.

But two shots dont cut it. He needs to score a big counter attacking hundred.

If he does Id drop Manzoor and bring Umar in.

Shafiq could force him back into contention for ODIs with an aggressive knock. Will take him over YK.

He is a very very classy batsman to watch. Just gets really boring when batting with you know who

Bullet Drive is taking a liking to Shafiq now. Don't cheat on Umar Akmal.

Hes has his own personal form crisis in recent times so needs to dig himself out of that!

Right on the money so far. :waqar

Looks like he has been given a nice pep talk before the match.

Looks very good. If he can play like this CONSISTENTLY then umar will need to look for a new place in the team. consistency ofcourse is the key word.

If Asad can establish himself at 6, it will ease pressure on management to not play Umar in tests and only keep him for ODIs and T20s.

Asad playing with a straight bat today. Looks like Flower has given him some tips already.

give the lad a chance. he is very talented and can do some good things if given confidence..

Wow Dean Jones very impressed with Shafiq. Shafiq is our tier 2 batsman and he is impressed. Imagine when he sees Shehzad and Haris in full flow.

He is already a HUGE Nasir Jamshed fan.

Wow Dean Jones very impressed with Shafiq. Shafiq is our tier 2 batsman and he is impressed. Imagine when he sees Shehzad and Haris in full flow.

He is already a HUGE Nasir Jamshed fan.

I believe he coached him, right? Jamshed would be a great asset if he finds some form again.

Oh well, at least we won't have Umar to deal with when we tour :)

A clear C tier cricketer scares no one :pfft

If KW played for Pakistan, I can just imagine what PP'ers would have been like here on PP.

I can imagine the Pakistan's answer to Tendulkar threads now :)))

Buddy, he ain't that good.

Man if he can play consistently like this then he would be a perfect man for the future.

Buddy, he ain't that good.
He's nowhere as good as Tendulkar, but his strokeplay is world class.

Need to remember PPer's, these are the same people who compared Umar to Tendulkar and Kohli.

At least with KW, he can semi compete in terms of class.

Last edited:
If Asad can establish himself at 6, it will ease pressure on management to not play Umar in tests and only keep him for ODIs and T20s.

lol stupid logic, he is one of the best batsman in the domestic scene and did very well in tests when you consider the circumstances and conditions. He merits this call and hopefully a place in the 11 whenever that comes

lol stupid logic, he is one of the best batsman in the domestic scene and did very well in tests when you consider the circumstances and conditions. He merits this call and hopefully a place in the 11 whenever that comes

Not really otherwise he would still be in the team. If Asad plays like he is playing today, there is no need for Umar to play in tests.
He should focus on the shorter formats where he has additional duties as a keeper.

Need to remember PPer's, these are the same people who compared Umar to Tendulkar and Kohli.

One thing I will say about Umar is that his hand-eye coordination is second to none. The rest you can say whatever you want.

Not really otherwise he would still be in the team. If Asad plays like he is playing today, there is no need for Umar to play in tests.
He should focus on the shorter formats where he has additional duties as a keeper.

why?

Does it change the fact that the team is one dimensional, does it change the fact that there is no one in the team that can take on the pacers, does it change the fact that Akmal did as he was asked and did the hard yards in Domestic Cricket ?

You are just saying this because you want fawad ( whom I like) in the squad over him

Great pressure player is Shafiq, MashAllah. InshAllah he'll get a century tomorrow and really take the attack to the Lankans. Akmal need not worry, he'll get his chance, right now he needs to keep improving in the shorter formats.

why?

Does it change the fact that the team is one dimensional, does it change the fact that there is no one in the team that can take on the pacers, does it change the fact that Akmal did as he was asked and did the hard yards in Domestic Cricket ?

You are just saying this because you want fawad ( whom I like) in the squad over him

lol Yes I would like Fawad to play in tests but that is not why I don't want Umar playing tests. He is going to always be 35 ave test batsman with a 60 S/R. Asad is giving the team 36 albeit with a lower S/R. I don't see the team improving dramatically in tests if we have Umar in the team.

On the other hand he is extremely valuable in shorter formats and he keeps wickets. Why overplay him when there is little return on investment.

lol Yes I would like Fawad to play in tests but that is not why I don't want Umar playing tests. He is going to always be 35 ave test batsman with a 60 S/R. Asad is giving the team 36 albeit with a lower S/R. I don't see the team improving dramatically in tests if we have Umar in the team.

On the other hand he is extremely valuable in shorter formats and he keeps wickets. Why overplay him when there is little return on investment.

give me your magic seeing ball and ill believe you

Nice inns today, came out and looked compact and confident from the word go and his lack of previous form didnt effect him, needs to really dig in tomorrow and score a big hundred.

Good innings needs to score a big one..

Pakistan should make Azhar open and slot Umar akmal in for the next test

For all his class KW averages just a 2 more than Asad :facepalm:

If Shafiq is C grade cricketer, KW is a B grade cricketer too..

C garade cricketers dont score centuries against Steyn and Co. in their own backyard

[MENTION=57355]pakistanigoneaussie[/MENTION]

He doesn't have the temperament to play the longer format. He will hit a 100 ball century followed by a string of failures. His first class average is in the mid-30s as well. Another tell. Nothing is guaranteed but I am someone who usually goes with the odds and odds suggest he won't be a major improvement over Asad.

He's to be consistent..one good knock after 4 failures is getting repetitive but I appreciate selectors and Misbah support for a struggling youngster.

He will improve, no need to knock Akmal when he hasn't played tests for three years.

He should be the first person into the team when Misbah and Younis retire.

For all his class KW averages just a 2 more than Asad :facepalm:

If Shafiq is C grade cricketer, KW is a B grade cricketer too..

C garade cricketers dont score centuries against Steyn and Co. in their own backyard
KW bat's in the top order, 40ish for a 23 year older rest of the pack cricketer who has yet to realize his potential is great.

If he was 28 and not starting to grown, then I would be worried.

Last edited:
[MENTION=57355]pakistanigoneaussie[/MENTION]

He doesn't have the temperament to play the longer format. He will hit a 100 ball century followed by a string of failures. His first class average is in the mid-30s as well. Another tell. Nothing is guaranteed but I am someone who usually goes with the odds and odds suggest he won't be a major improvement over Asad.

His first class average is 49

Just domestic games it's 53

What are you talking about ?

Sort of kills your argument if you are making up numbers

Shafiq needs to be consistent this knock wont mean anything if he fails for the next 5 innings.

Excellent innings. InshAllah a hundred is on the cards.

shafiq is a good batsmen

pakistan have invested to much into azhar ali and asad shafiq to kick them out of the team now, both will take over the mantle when misbah and yk leave.

kicking both out because of bouts of inconsistency will be counter productive in the long run and damage both players development.

Biggest positive of shafiqs innings was that it had a good Tempo from the start

He wasn't trying to block his way to form like in the past

Oh, as expected people are jumping on the Asad Shafiq bandwagon yet again and if they aren't, they are still criticising him on a relative non-issue.

Before every single Test the knives are out for Shafiq and he is constantly pestered by posters for "blocking the pathway of the brilliant Umar Akmal" and not scoring consistently. Despite performing admirably in the face of a crisis (his two centuries against South Africa are evidence of this) and having that ever-rare Pakistan quality of playing a masterful innings in the face of a collapse (in the mould of Younus Khan/Inzamam-Ul-Haq), he is constantly castigated for not performing properly only a few Tests after scoring a fluent century.

The same happened with Sarfraz Ahmed (I remember I was one of the only few posters to persistently reserve judgement on him until he played a few more Tests in less demanding conditions, abstaining from attributing terms such as "a coward" and "a tailender" upon him as so many others decided to do) and it is still occurring with Shafiq. Have some consistency in support!

This innings is further proof of how Pakistan fans need to learn to back their players and recognise real talent - not ********, brainless batting under the pretext of attacking cricket.

Note: I'm not in any manner declaring that Shafiq is undeserving of criticism, but surely we should try to back our players rather than seek to lambast them at ever opportunity?

Last edited:
Early to say, but I believe he has worked on his game a lot in the last few months. That's what you want from your players off season.

^ One thing he has certainly improved upon is leaving the balls outside off. Some very good leaves in his innings.

But still a long way to go for him. Needs to get a big one here

Early to say, but I believe he has worked on his game a lot in the last few months. That's what you want from your players off season.
If he bats with confidence in every innings then I you can say he's turned a leaf, but until then, he's just holding off more talented and deserving players.

Yes. He was very assured with balls outside the off stump.

He had "the look" in his eyes today. Should have that every time he comes to the crease.

Until he can get a big one here, and then a few, I would still say he is keeping a more deserved Umar Akmal out of the test team

Until he can get a big one here, and then a few, I would still say he is keeping a more deserved Umar Akmal out of the test team
Fawad, Maqsood and Haris as well, all of who have fantastic stats in the domestic circuit.

Back