Asad Shafiq - The man of crisis

MashAllah, what an innings so far. He looked a changed batsman to me and I feel proud for sticking with the 'good Test batsman' over his rut. Some people are too judgmental and can't look beyond stats.

The way Asad plays and the way his hands and feet move, its obvious that he's a good batsman but with certain problems which he seems to have overcome.

His biggest problem was his angled bat defense and closing of the bat face which I haven't seen in this innings. Also playing with softer hands.

He is a good player and can become a very good one if he works on these issues.

Last edited:
No. His defense was much more assured and it's obvious that he was worked on his technical flaws.

He's always been technically good is what I mean- he had nowt exposable. Just mentally [emoji90]

This was a good innings by Asad came at a crucial time we were 4 down at 150 + but still the pitch was quite flat, same situation when Asad Scored his last century almost dead pitch. Rehman scored a fifty as well on this pitch. I hope that Asad Becomes consistent and regularly scores for Pakistan. But don't pass the verdict based on a single performance...

An excell knock by asad we,ve inv. 4 good years on him its great he is back in form :corleone

Indeed it was a good innings but the key is to become consistent. He real test would be against AUS and NZ attack though.

Takes pressure well? Bats maturely in crisis situations? He is made for Pak team #3 in batting order :p

still not a good enough batsman. needs to score 100 every 3rd inning.

Yeah he needs to score 100 every 3rd innings or 50 every innings.

But for Akmal 40 off 20 balls each time is enough to earn a place in the test side.

Great thinking.

every player/batsman can turn into a man of crisis if you have a substitute waiting for him
asad displayed nicely bcz he knows Umar is sitting in dressing room to replace him
same the case with sir faraz he knows adnan will replace him if he dnt improve
brought up substitutes of every player & let the 11 assure that there are players who will replace you if you failed to deliver

Last edited:
Its good to have players behind you to replace you. It will only push you to improve more and more. Umar should remain in the squad.

Last edited:
Lucky for him the pitch was FLAT as a pancake, else he would have sure edged with his usual score inside 15

^ thats really bad. He actually looked in form and confident with some lovely strokes. I predict a purple patch for him.

He is a good player under pressure, no denying that.
Just wish he could be more consistent.

Some of them are really poor n distasteful comments dont forget he has performed under pressure 2nd test vs eng :azhar palekelle test :adnan cape town test :yk

now We'll have to suffer this whole series with his low scores just because of this lucky 50+

Umar also does the same.

The only thing is he gets to 30 before throwing it away.

Asad, when set at least gets a bigger score than Umar.

Umar also does the same.

129 on debut is enough- just one less that hunger-for-runs-shafiqs 130

Umar also does the same.

Let's give a series in Asia before making that judgment

Right now given were the have played its unfair comparison

It's like me saying shafiq gets to 20 Odis before throwing it away

I like Umar, but I don't like people hating Shafiq for performing good.

That comment was actually directed at someone, who was dissing Shafiq and loves Umar, despite a good performance in this match.

And on Umar my views are, he is absolutely necessary for ODI and T20.

Not ready for test cricket yet.

Can someone please change the title to - Man of no-consistency? :shafiq

I like Umar, but I don't like people hating Shafiq for performing good.

That comment was actually directed at someone, who was dissing Shafiq and loves Umar, despite a good performance in this match.

And on Umar my views are, he is absolutely necessary for ODI and T20.

Not ready for test cricket yet.

Please ..am neither a Umar Akmal fan :yk

Shafiq's mediocre performances have always been covered up by these sorts of once in while mighty 50's even after giving a consistent run in series which makes him more burden to the team as a whole and moreover blocking other capable players.

This is what Shafiq always does and he proved that in the second innings where. you don't need to be his hater or someone else's fan who is not in the Team to understand this fact. :shafiq

had one great innings and one awful one

standard from him, we should hope this changes despite our personal wants because shafiq aint going anywhere anything soon

thats the problem with azhar ali and asad shafiq even after 4 years they are showing very little consistency

what the team needs is one of these guys having a monstrous run of form where they are averaging 70/80 for that season and making some consecutive big hundreds.

thats the problem with azhar ali and asad shafiq even after 4 years they are showing very little consistency

what the team needs is one of these guys having a monstrous run of form where they are averaging 70/80 for that season and making some consecutive big hundreds.
I am afraid they are not capable of this and neither is Umar Akmal. Azhar and Asad are not talented enough and Umar Akmal is not intelligent enough.

Last edited:
had one great innings and one awful one

standard from him, we should hope this changes despite our personal wants because shafiq aint going anywhere anything soon

Sums up Shafiq for the last 4 years. I still like him because he has shown in the past what he can do but really he has to work on consistency

The problem with shafiq is that he never looks in command. He is always nervous..whether facing a quick bowler or a spinner.. he does not have any strength to work on but a whole lot of weaknesses. One would expect a better development

Sums up Shafiq for the last 4 years. I still like him because he has shown in the past what he can do but really he has to work on consistency

sums up his entire cricketing career

Its very rare that a guy who cant even average 40 in domestic games will make it big internationally

it may yet for shafiq, but i highly doubt it

After 4 years we still cant rely on him, he still looks and plays like he did in his first few tests - no improvement whatsoever

sums up his entire cricketing career

Its very rare that a guy who cant even average 40 in domestic games will make it big internationally

it may yet for shafiq, but i highly doubt it

Very true, same thing for Azhar Ali who recently has become my favourite topic of discussion. For a number 3 he lacks that gear shifts he just seems to have one mode, never imposes himself like a number 3 should. I had high hopes for Azhar and Asad, Azhar i think should open opens up our batting for an attacking player. Shafiq did score some nice runs, but like you said all too often he falls away the next few games. Amazing how our batting is basically reliant on Younis Khan and Misbah

Very true, same thing for Azhar Ali who recently has become my favourite topic of discussion. For a number 3 he lacks that gear shifts he just seems to have one mode, never imposes himself like a number 3 should. I had high hopes for Azhar and Asad, Azhar i think should open opens up our batting for an attacking player. Shafiq did score some nice runs, but like you said all too often he falls away the next few games. Amazing how our batting is basically reliant on Younis Khan and Misbah

azhar ali was a legspinner who wasnt good enough so became an opener because his side lacked one

at best he is a new ball blunting opener

He has shown sign of improvements this tour, rekindled more hope. Regardless of how this current innings goes he merits the Australia series

Last edited:
Please persist with him till the NZ series and promote him to number 4.

Asad Shafiq - the Man of Crisis

Hopefully that will mark the end of this guy in the playing XI. We will still keep him in the squad

One 75 and he becomes the man of crisis again after that useless 130 vs sa.

Played well to maintain his average of 37 so no surprises there. The important thing for me was his 2 partnerships with Sarfaraz.

If ever there was a crisis, there is one now.

Lets see what Shafiq comes up with. He is due a big one..

If ever there was a crisis, there is one now.

Lets see what Shafiq comes up with. He is due a big one..

He seriously missed out some easy runs in last few matches. Now its time for him to show his class again, anybody can score on flat pitches of Day 1 and Day 2.

doing exactly what the doctor ordered win was out of cards so just shut it keep it up

doing exactly what the doctor ordered win was out of cards so just shut it keep it up

Just another tuk tuk machine. Improved version of Azhar ali I guess but don't let Those few good looking shot deceive you.

And there is no surprise that he has his ODI strike rate in the 60s.

Just another tuk tuk machine. Improved version of Azhar ali I guess but don't let Those few good looking shot deceive you.

He is a hard worker and better than hyped Umar Akmal if your memory is weak then it is to remind you Umar was given the opportunity before Asad but his brainfarts led to his demise therefore Asad replaced him in the 2nd test vs SA in 2010 and since then poor Umar is struggling to get back into Test setup :p

Shafiq > Umar (Tests)

No question about it. Umar is a poor man's Raina.

Some people are so insecure that they have to bring Akmals into everything to get the masses back their argument.lol

Seems to still be in form despite not batting in last few tests, has done a job in both inns here.

He did a pathetic job in the first innings. I like Shafiq a lot, but no point in making excuses when he was clearly found wanting in this game along with the newly crowned King Misbah.

Looked rusty in the first innings but batted all right in the second innings. Batted too slow for my liking but I guess that's what the was;play out a draw.

Very good player and the 2nd best pressure player in our line-up. I don't rate him in ODIs though, we have better options in that format.

Thought he did a pretty good job.
Soaked up the pressure along with YK. Well done.

He did well today but his untimely dismissal was a major blow in the 1st innings.

Shafiq and pressure player are not synonymous at all. People make up things based on practically nothing.

As much as I like him and think he will come good eventually, I don't feel confident watching him bat because I know there is a brain freeze somewhere round the corner. If he cuts that out, he can be an excellent batsman for Pakistan and still is pretty good but he can be much better.

He has the tools to be a pressure player, but right now he's not. Apart from Younis and Sarfraz, no one in this team seems to be able to handle pressure at the moment.

Not more than a 36 ish averaged player.one 50+ score and 1-12 continuous innings of mediocrity!! He might fit in until Misbah retires.!! He won't be nowhere to be scene once Harris, Fawad,Babar Azam gets a chance in the squad!!

Shafiq is unlucky to be batting at #6. He could have gotten his average into the 40's by now if he batted higher up.

Not more than a 36 ish averaged player.one 50+ score and 1-12 continuous innings of mediocrity!! He might fit in until Misbah retires.!! He won't be nowhere to be scene once Harris, Fawad,Babar Azam gets a chance in the squad!!

Fawad Alam, go figure

Shafiq is unlucky to be batting at #6. He could have gotten his average into the 40's by now if he batted higher up.

Excuse. Throwing away has nothing to do with batting position.

He has concentration issues.

Excuse. Throwing away has nothing to do with batting position.

He has concentration issues.

How many did he throw away? One? That too while trying to accelerate for the team.

How many did he throw away? One? That too while trying to accelerate for the team.

He is inconsistent and you know it. Something happens with him due to which he gets a string of low scores before getting a hundred.

He tells me himself he wishes he could bat at 3. He is made for 3 and Azhar is made for opening.

He's coming along ok. Also making a conscious effort to up his strike rate. Will bat higher either (a) when misbah retires (b) or when Azhar ali has the inevitable horror tour away from home

Shafiq suffers from Umar Akmal type brain farts. Only difference is he bats like Misbah wants everyone to bat before he gets out to a brain ****.

Asad Shafiq might be averaging late 30s after 18 months in test cricket but this kid is making a habit of playing well in a crises. From his first inning in test cricket when he came in at 6 with Pakistan still 427 being SA when he scored 61 he is getting some crucial runs at 6.

His 83 in NZ came when we were 107/4.

His crucial knocks against Eng were vital in that 3-0.

Well played Shafiq and long may you continue making important runs for Pakistan.

2 or 3 innings in a total of 32 test matches does not make one a 'man of crisis'. Some of his 4 centuries also came on dead flat batting tracks and yes that includes a 100 in UAE against SA is one of them came on a lifeless flat track.
But now he is also part of ODI squad, so I hope he impoves and becomes a genuine batsman. Still think Fawad Alam is better than him. And Yes Sarfraz is better than him also.

2 or 3 innings in a total of 32 test matches does not make one a 'man of crisis'. Some of his 4 centuries also came on dead flat batting tracks and yes that includes a 100 in UAE against SA is one of them came on a lifeless flat track.
But now he is also part of ODI squad, so I hope he impoves and becomes a genuine batsman. Still think Fawad Alam is better than him. And Yes Sarfraz is better than him also.

It was far from lifeless by the time he came to bat.

He is inconsistent and you know it. Something happens with him due to which he gets a string of low scores before getting a hundred.

He has alright of late though. Good score against Lanka.

A 90 odd against Aus and today. The only bad knock has been the first dig in this test.

Asad Shafiq has turned into a very good player for Pakistan, and he did all of it without the hype and hysteria Pak fans surround their batsman with. He will be 10 times more valuable for Pakistan than brainless sloggers like Umar Akmal and the likes.

He has alright of late though. Good score against Lanka.

A 90 odd against Aus and today. The only bad knock has been the first dig in this test.

He is my favorite batsman in the team and I expect more from him.

Really hope he plays all 5 ODIs at 3 and scores a hundred.

Back