Asad Shafiq - The man of crisis

I think it was justified for the knives to be out for shafiq, he went through 4 tests of doing nothing and in general has enjoyed a lot of support.

Im not jumping on a bandwagon, I'm just giving credit where's it's due

Attack me all you want for what I'm about to say but I still hold to my view that there are better players than him and Azhar. Both have a habit of doing nothing then making a ton to save themselves then do nothing again before the cycle repeats, particularly shafiq. If that changes id be the first to admit im wrong

If centuries against SA are the main criteria for selection then we should recall Taufeeq and Azhar Mahmood

Last edited:
Shafiqs pull shot is very nice to watch i havent noticed much before. Today he did look a lot more proactive than in his previous innings. In the past he has tuktukked too much at the start of his innings and just created unneeded pressure on himself. Today he showed positive intent from ball one and reaped the rewards hope this isnt a one-off thing.

I the it's was justified for the knives to be out for shafiq, he went through 4 tests of doing nothing and in general has enjoyed a lot of support.

In not jumping on a bandwagon, I'm just giving credit where's it's due

Attack me all you want for what I'm about to say but I still hold to my view that there are better players than him and Azhar. Both have a habit of doing nothing then making a ton to save themselves then do nothing again before the cycle repeats, particularly shafiq. If that changes id be the first to admit in wrong

If centuries against SA are the only main criteria for selection then we should recall Taufeeq and Azhar Mahmood
Nailed it.

Fawad, Maqsood and Haris as well, all of who have fantastic stats in the domestic circuit.

Maqsood doesn't, I reckon a middle order bat in Pakistan should at least be averagin 45

Not that I care though, at this stage I see him as an odi player

Right in fawad, haris and akmal though

Maqsood doesn't, I reckon a middle order bat in Pakistan should at least be averagin 45

Not that I care though, at this stage I see him as an odi player

Right in fawad, haris and akmal though
Swear he was averaging high 40's when I last checked.

Fawad, Maqsood and Haris as well, all of who have fantastic stats in the domestic circuit.

Agreed. Although to be honest, I am not a big Fawad fan. But your point is absolutely correct.

Umar, Maqsood should be in the test side for sure

His first class average is 49

Just domestic games it's 53

What are you talking about ?

Sort of kills your argument if you are making up numbers

I stand corrected. List A is in the 30s. Does merit a place in tests based on FC average. If Khurram struggles in the 2nd innings as well, we may see him in the playing XI sooner rather than later.

OMG, so much negativity towards him. HE IS THE BEST TALENT IN OUR CURRENT LOT

You can judge a batsman by his stroke making, he has all the potential and all the strokes in his book and i hope he remains consistent. Compared to shehzad, manzoor,azhar they all are hack and have very bad footwork, asad bhai is on another level with his footwork. Haterz will hate, they want mickey mouse mentally weak players like umar akmal to be in test side.
#Cutshot #Straightbat #PositiveIntent #Testcricket

KW bat's in the top order, 40ish for a 23 year older rest of the pack cricketer who has yet to realize his potential is great.

If he was 28 and not starting to grown, then I would be worried.

I am not saying KW is bad, he is just decent not a prodigy you make him look, Even Dilshan had 40 ish avg n test cricket..

The unlimited unpressurized free rides Shafiq and Azhar Ali have had should have also been given to Umar Akmal. Azhar Ali should open the batting allowing for Umar Akmal to be accomodated in the team.

Willamson is overrated on this forum. He averaged 18 in Aus, 20 in England and 10 in SAF. Lol

A timely innings for him. He also played exceptionally well during his previous tour here when he got a well controlled 100. After that innings i thought that he was improved but till today he has not been able to bring his average back to 40.

I still can't believe how Sarfraz Ahmed out-shined Asad in the previous series against Srilanka.

He has shown glimpses of his ability but has not been consistent so far.

Lets hope he makes a ton.

It's make-or-break time for him now. He really needs to follow up with a string of good scores; it's crucial that he doesn't go missing in the coming matches.

It seems like he likes to be the guy who plays second fiddle.

Williamson is a lot better in ODIs, but Gulf aint that great in Test matches
KW bats at 3... :facepalm:

Shafiq would be lucky to be averaging mid 30's if he batted there.

KW averages 66.13 in the last year with 4 hundreds in 9 Tests.

Last edited:
I think Shoaib Akhtar also rated Shafiq and said he has good technique.

I do think Shafiq has problems when the ball is swinging and he is trying to drive it outside off.

But still more technically secure than Umar Akmal.

Much better bat than Umar Akmal in tests.

Sent him a message saying well done bro now make it a hundred. He replied 2 hours ago saying 'thanks bro Inshallah, I will try my best'

Sent him a message saying well done bro now make it a hundred. He replied 2 hours ago saying 'thanks bro Inshallah, I will try my best'

With all due respect. How did you send a message to someone half way across the world? No disrespect here

Should have also told him that you were calling for him to be replaced by Akmal a couple of days ago. Not to mention the insults. :))

MashAllah, what an innings so far. He looked a changed batsman to me and I feel proud for sticking with the 'good Test batsman' over his rut. Some people are too judgmental and can't look beyond stats.

The way Asad plays and the way his hands and feet move, its obvious that he's a good batsman but with certain problems which he seems to have overcome.

His biggest problem was his angled bat defense and closing of the bat face which I haven't seen in this innings. Also playing with softer hands.

Last edited:
Playing another good inning coming at 150/4...He just needs to show some consistancy.

MashAllah, what an innings so far. He looked a changed batsman to me and I feel proud for sticking with the 'good Test batsman' over his rut. Some people are too judgmental and can't look beyond stats.

Lol now you are jumping boat, you have been asking for akmal to come in form him this past week. All your starting 11s have said the same

Yes I have, because he was not in good form. So?

Show me one post where I haven't called him a good batsman and called him to be dropped from the squad. :sohail

Lol you have a way with words but you have lost here

It's amusing that your notion of 'sticking with a proper test batsman' is to call for him to be replaced in the 11 in the entire lead up of this game

I was never in favour of Akmal over a proven performer and Asad doing well against the likes of Steyn and Philander and Morkel convinced me that he was good.

I am telling you, people just wanted Akmal for another reason.

To get some excitement in this boring test match.

They know Akmal is good enough only for 30 odd runs or so.

Lol now you are jumping boat, you have been asking for akmal to come in form him this past week. All your starting 11s have said the same

:)))

Look how shamelessly he says that he backed the good batsman in his rut then subtly accepts that he wanted Akmal to play over him. I also remember him saying that "Shafiq has hit a wall".

Look how shamelessly he says that he backed the good batsman in his rut then subtly accepts that he wanted Akmal to play over him. I also remember him saying that "Shafiq has hit a wall".

Exactly, talk about consistency

Sorry but that's a wrong message and wrong mindset.
What you unintentionally did is to encourage him to play for a personal mile stone - make a 100 his first priority and think about "what's best for Pakistan" later.
A player should always be selfless.

I am also in touch with Asad (rare email interactions as of late) but I never ask him to play for records because that's what sets apart a great player from an attention seeker.

I was never in favour of Akmal over a proven performer and Asad doing well against the likes of Steyn and Philander and Morkel convinced me that he was good.

I am telling you, people just wanted Akmal for another reason.

To get some excitement in this boring test match.

They know Akmal is good enough only for 30 odd runs or so.

Yes say what you want about other 'people'.

If shafiq was truly very good his record coming into this game would not have been so similar to akmals despite the long run shafiq has gotten and the abundance of games he has played in Asia.

I fully stand by my views on Akmal, statistically he was our best when he played, domestically he is one of the best and when he gets his chance I'm sure he will prove it if he gets half the support shafiq or azhar have had.

On shafiq, if he gets past the Australia series averaging around 40 I'll say he has turned a corner.

Wasted a review but to fair I think pretty much any Pak batsman in that situation would have done the same, especially give we have 2 reviews left

Refreshing innings though, bought himself more time. Now I hope he doesn't go missing the next few innings

Good innings, but lets see what he does for the next 3-4 Tests before getting carried away. Bangladesh scored 600 on the same wicket.

Yes say what you want about other 'people'.

If shafiq was truly very good his record coming into this game would not have been so similar to akmals despite the long run shafiq has gotten and the abundance of games he has played in Asia.

I fully stand by my views on Akmal, statistically he was our best when he played, domestically he is one of the best and when he gets his chance I'm sure he will prove it if he gets half the support shafiq or azhar have had.

On shafiq, if he gets past the Australia series averaging around 40 I'll say he has turned a corner.

Its far worse to have starts and then throw them away.

You get out at 5 or 10 , fine, you never got in anways and you let your team down.

You get 30-40 and then charge down the wicket, oblivious to the situation and get out, not once but every other innings in the same manner, you are not committed to the team.

Umar will get his chance, but I am sure he will do the same again.

Just wait.

Exactly, talk about consistency

Asking a batsman to play over the other does not mean that you are not backing the player. Every player deserves to be dropped if he isn't performing. That doesn't mean that you don't rate him and want him discarded. This how all sports teams operate.

Going forward, Shafiq and Umar will have to fight for the same spot as long as Misbah and Younis are around. Not backing a player is asking him to be dropped and not picked again as well as calling him ordinary and believing that Pakistan backed the wrong player over the years and such posts are filled with this thread.

Not backing a player is hoping that he fails so that Umar plays.

Its far worse to have starts and then throw them away.

You get out at 5 or 10 , fine, you never got in anways and you let your team down.

You get 30-40 and then charge down the wicket, oblivious to the situation and get out, not once but every other innings in the same manner, you are not committed to the team.

Umar will get his chance, but I am sure he will do the same again.

Just wait.

What did shafiq do at the start of his career? Exactly that, difference is they kept going with instead of dropping him at first opportunity

And if you want to talk about wasting starts in test matchs, look no further than the captain

Last edited:
The number 6 spot is usually reserved for a young batsmen who is destined for top order, or for a compact batsmen.

Shafiq is neither, he should have moved up the order long ago.

Should have handled the arm ball better and it was on the cards but well played nonetheless.

KW started his career down the order, now at 23, he's batting at 3 while Shafiq after 3 years is still at 6..

lol if Sarfraz scores a hundred, would it take the shine of his innings? :))

Some people can't differentiate between benching and axing a player.

Sarfraz is not able to score a hundred.

He is not good enough.

lol if Sarfraz scores a hundred, would it take the shine of his innings? :))

Well sarfraz does better first class record ....... :yk2

Jokes aside I honestly doubt it

I have a soft spot for him but Sarfraz has been a major disappoint his entire career, at least this time he doesn't look like a scared puppy but that means nothing without runs

That would be great but no different than Harbhajan getting one. Ashwin is a better batsman than him.

He doesn't have the attitude of an international cricketer.

Yes I will, I have longed to see a Pakistani WK score a Test ton. It's been 5.5 years.

He looked very improved. Don't read the scorecard only.

A lineup of Masood, Ali, YK, Misbah, Shafiq, and Umar should be tried next game. I really think it will come good.

Runs on the board matter. He has them now, certainly needs more of them.

Sarfraz can bat on Asian pitches. He's the one who really got us going for that 300 chase

There is good hand eye and timing in sarfaraz' batting. His technique is poor defensively and outside off

I really like Shafiq, i was not in favour of axing him for Umar Akmal. PP has a bad habit of making a bench player the Greatest Player of All Time, plays one poor shot or bad innings and he is thrown back to cricket camps and domestic cricket until another return.

But Shafiq and Azhar ali were both the new breeds 4 years ago and have yet to score a big daddy hundreds consistently. 4 years ago i thought they would be superb test players and both are fine but both need to capitalise on starts. Especially number 3. Only way id change the order to bring in another bat would be bumping Ali to open.
And putting Umar, or Shafiq at 3.

Younis loves batting 4 and Misbah 5 i am not in favour of moving those two simply because they are stable i get the argument best batsmen bat more, but Younis at 3 is a bit too high.

Id opt for

1. Ali
2.Shehzad
3.Shafiq / Umar
4.Younis
5.Misbah
6.Umar/ Shafiq

I may even be tempted to put Akmal at 3 and say lets go but some PP will think iv set him up to fail, other shout Harriss Sohail who still scoring runs for fun in domestic set up, or Fawad who scores runs for fun as well. We have options i am not sold on Khurram M

Last edited:
He's always played like that. His inability to score consistently and big has always been his problem

No. His defense was much more assured and it's obvious that he was worked on his technical flaws.

Back