Australia (74/1) defeat Namibia (72) comfortably by 9 wickets in the ICC T20 World Cup 2024

The Bald Eagle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
The 2024 ICC Men's T20 World Cup has witnessed a dominance of bowlers, with batters struggling to come to terms with the challenging conditions. However, Australia has been an exception, as they are the only team to have successfully crossed the 200-run barrier in this tournament so far. While most teams have faltered in their pursuit of big scores, the Australian batting lineup has displayed remarkable adaptability. Having played their first couple of games in Barbados, now they travel to Antigua to lock horns with Namibia in match number 24 in a Group B contest.

After securing a thrilling Super Over victory in their opening game against Oman, Namibia has faced a slight setback with their defeat to Scotland. However, they are determined to bounce back and pose a formidable challenge to the tournament's strongest contenders and the frontrunners, Australia.

Squads:

Namibia squad: Gerhard Erasmus (c), Zane Green, Michael Van Lingen, Dylan Leicher, Ruben Trumpelmann, Jack Brassell, Ben Shikongo, Tangeni Lungameni, Niko Davin, JJ Smit, Jan Frylinck, JP Kotze, David Wiese, Bernard Scholtz, Malan Kruger, PD Blignaut

Australia Squad

Mitchell Marsh (c), Ashton Agar, Pat Cummins, Tim David, Nathan Ellis, Cameron Green, Josh Hazlewood, Travis Head, Josh Inglis, Glenn Maxwell, Mitchell Starc, Marcus Stoinis, Matthew Wade, David Warner, Adam Zampa
=============

All posters please take note of the following guidelines for match threads on PakPassion:

1. No personal insults at other posters, players, officials, coaching staffs etc.

2. No making fun of player's, official's, coaching staff's names.

3. Do not add any references to media, their social media or post any pictures or screenshots from other sports websites.

4. Stick to commenting on this match. There is no need to bring other countries into the match discussion as there are plenty of other threads where those discussions can be added.

Australia have won the toss and have opted to field

Namibia
(Playing XI): Nikolaas Davin, Michael van Lingen, Jan Frylinck, Gerhard Erasmus(c), JJ Smit, Zane Green(w), David Wiese, Ruben Trumpelmann, Bernard Scholtz, Jack Brassell, Ben Shikongo

Australia (Playing XI): Travis Head, David Warner, Mitchell Marsh(c), Glenn Maxwell, Marcus Stoinis, Tim David, Matthew Wade(w), Pat Cummins, Nathan Ellis, Adam Zampa, Josh Hazlewood

Gerhard Erasmus is on 1* from 17 balls. This is apparently a record in men's T20I (took him 16 balls to get off the mark).

Namibia - 31/5 (10.1 overs).

Need to reach 100 to give the bowlers something to defend.

Minnow bashing at it's finest.

I hope this t20 wc completely flops.

They need to stop hosting matches in the USA and West Indies, there's no hope there.

Minnow bashing at it's finest.

I hope this t20 wc completely flops.

They need to stop hosting matches in the USA and West Indies, there's no hope there.

Australia beat England too. Not just minnow bashing.

I believe Aussies are favorites to win this tournament.

I agree that Windies as a host is boring but USA is great as a host. USA has large desi groups; there are markets there.

Australia beat England too. Not just minnow bashing.

I believe Aussies are favorites to win this tournament.

I agree that Windies as a host is boring but USA is great as a host. USA has large desi groups; there are markets there.
They are just trying to milk expats with extortionist prices for tickets to matches liek Pakistan vs India.

otherwise there's virtually 0 crowd, and barely any locals that would actually watch any of this, only expats from India/Pakistan and Aus etc

Australia too strong. I feel for nambia, but I'm suprised Oman vs nambia was a toss up

Namibia rapidly getting eliminated , 2nd after Oman. Australia racing to qualification, 2nd after South Africa.

Namibia rapidly getting eliminated , 2nd after Oman. Australia racing to qualification, 2nd after South Africa.
Was their ever any doubt?

They won the world cup with injuries, niggles and wasted baggage of Smith.

Now they got the big boys back, the whole crew.

Australia gave Namibia the thrashing of the highest order.

dT0RyKR.png

Unbeaten Australia secure spot in T20 World Cup second round, proving too strong for Namibia

Australia will progress to the next stage, sending a huge tournament warning shot to move top of Group B.

Australia have secured their place in the second round of the ICC Men's T20 World Cup, producing a scary display against Namibia at Sir Vivian Richards Stadium in Antigua.

The Aussies produced a ruthless performance in all departments, chasing down the Namibians' total of 72 inside six overs.

Spinner and Player of the Match Adam Zampa picked up a slice of history taking four wickets for the Aussies, who had their African opponents all out in 17 overs.

Captain Mitch Marsh finally won a toss, having lost the other two so far this tournament, and he opted to send Namibia in.

Australia enjoyed a dream first six overs, picking up three wickets for only 17 runs, piling pressure on the Namibians' top order. Josh Hazlewood was lethal with the ball, taking 2/10, bowling three overs inside the Powerplay.

Zampa joined the party soon after, as the Aussies continued displaying their supreme bowling depth. Namibia slumped to 21/5 off nine overs with the removal of wicket-keeper Zane Green.

Captain Gerhard Erasmus then scored a rare boundary as Namibia got to 5/31 at the 10-over mark. But when Zampa and Hazlewood combined for the sixth wicket, the second ball after drinks, the African side found themselves in even more trouble. It was a crisp outfield catch from Hazelwood for Zampa's second wicket.

Ruben Trumpelmann decided to go after the spinner, crunching a 97-metre six over mid-wicket. But the Namibian holed out to Glenn Maxwell at the same part of the ground next ball, handing Zampa his third pole.

Zampa then ended his spell, in the same over, with wicket No.4, removing Bernard Scholtz for figures of 4/12. The well executed wrong’un also completed his path to 100 T20I wickets, becoming the first Australian men’s player to reach that milestone.

Zampa joins Megan Schutt and Ellyse Perry as the only compatriots to reach that mark in the short format at international level.

Erasmus prioritised survival, as wickets fell around him, which paid dividends as his 36 off 43 balls gave Namibia something to defend. His side was all out in 17 overs when Marcus Stoinis removed Ben Shikongo.

Zampa (4), Hazlewood (2), Stoinis (2), Pat Cummins (1) and Nathan Ellis (1), who replaced Mitchell Starc for the match, were all wicket takers for Australia.

Following on from an aggressive display with the ball, Australia’s openers picked up the attack right from the outset. David Warner went 4-4-6-out in the second over, as David Weise had the last laugh in an eventful exchange.

But it didn’t impact Travis Head’s approach, who produced an impressive array of strokes on the way to a seven-boundary, 17-ball 34*.* Head was supported by Marsh (18 off 9 balls), as Australia completed the run chase inside six overs.

ICC

Back