Australia v West Indies | 1st Test | Brisbane | 26-30 Nov 09

On_the_up

ODI Debutant
Runs
Start of the Australian season with Pakistan due to tour later.

Australia squad
RT Ponting*, MJ Clarke, DE Bollinger, BJ Haddin†, NM Hauritz, BW Hilfenhaus, MEK Hussey, MG Johnson, SM Katich, MJ North, PM Siddle, SR Watson

West Indies squad
CH Gayle*, A Barath, SJ Benn, DJ Bravo, S Chanderpaul, N Deonarine, TM Dowlin, BP Nash, D Ramdin†, R Rampaul, KAJ Roach, DJG Sammy, RR Sarwan, JE Taylor, GC Tonge

The WI big guns are back after effectively having a 'B' team against Bangladesh and the CT.

I can see WI batsmen putting up a good show against the Australian bowlers and even ending up drawing the test.

Australian team
1 Simon Katich, 2 Shane Watson, 3 Ricky Ponting (capt), 4 Michael Hussey, 5 Michael Clarke, 6 Marcus North, 7 Brad Haddin (wk), 8 Mitchell Johnson, 9 Nathan Hauritz, 10 Peter Siddle, 11 Ben Hilfenhaus.

On_the_up said:
I can see WI batsmen putting up a good show against the Australian bowlers and even ending up drawing the test.

I hope they can win this series. :inti

Weather here is cloudy and its an unusually cool day for this time of the year. Perfect day for cricket!!!

On_the_up said:
Australia win the toss and will bat first
Windies to have any chance needed to win the toss and bat first. I can see the Aussies putting up a big score now.

genghis81 said:
Windies to have any chance needed to win the toss and bat first. I can see the Aussies putting up a big score now.

Australia will be 4-50 today :ajmal

Poison said:
I hope they can win this series. :inti
No it should be Pakistan first. If WI wins then Pakistan win though their first series there win will not be same

12thMan said:
No it should be Pakistan first. If WI wins then Pakistan win though their first series there win will not be same

If the WI beat us I am joining the Taliban.

Pretty poor crowd. It is a Thursday though.

would you say this is our full strenght team? I'd say replace replace katich with jacques, bring watson down to 6, take north out, and open with hughes! and a fit brett lee has to play!

West Indies team
CH Gayle*, A Barath, TM Dowlin, S Chanderpaul, DJ Bravo, BP Nash, D Ramdin†, JE Taylor, SJ Benn, R Rampaul, KAJ Roach

Sarwan being out is a big blow for WI

the_love_machine said:
would you say this is our full strenght team? I'd say replace replace katich with jacques, bring watson down to 6, take north out, and open with hughes! and a fit brett lee has to play!

Lol, I really hate Katich too, but he's deadset the most under-rated batsman in the world at present.

the_love_machine said:
I will only play Watson down if he is going to bowl is tests which he is not doing. He he basically playing as a batsman. You do have him as an option to bowl if he is batting at #6 but I haven't seen much of him bowling in last series or two. He was supposed to be replacement to Symonds but then he wasn't bowling much either

KEMAR JAMAL ROACH is playing! :afridi :afridi :afridi

Lets see what the surprise packet can bring !

Terrible terrible choice of shot. Or non shot.

Because it was plumb.

and Ponting off the mark with :four

Random Aussie said:
Cricindia failing to update. Typical.

Great start from Watson.

Isn't it on free to air TV in Melbourne? Or is that another thing wrong with that city ? :D

Poison said:
Isn't it on free to air TV in Melbourne? Or is that another thing wrong with that city ? :D

It is but I am at work. To the pub shortly for a parma and some beers i think.

Sulieman Benn is really gigantic. He towers over Ponting.

And sounds like a good idea RA, Ponting's looking a bit loose early.

Ponting has a ridiculous batting average.

Kemar Roach is pretty quick; in the 145kph zone without effort it seems.

Last edited:
Poison said:
It may not be as sometimes they blackout locally for few hours to get people to ground.

I have to switch on cricinfo now

12thMan said:
It may not be as sometimes they blackout locally for few hours to get people to ground.

I have to switch on cricinfo now

Its at the Gabba yaar.

I don't know where the match is. I just checked the title. I can start watching for a while in maybe half hour and have to decide to watch this or Pakistan one. I can follow the other here or cricinfo

Roach just hit 150.1kph on the yorker.

Ponting looked out just now.

How is Roach getting faster and faster? He's up to regularly 147+ now.

Last edited:
Ponting gets a gift of a full toss on the legs and he doesn't miss out. 4

Well finally I have quit CricIndia and now follow on Cricbuzz. There you go CricIndia, one devoted follower gone for good.

Roach is quick. Taylor is good. Wish they had Fidel as well though.

I just went to cricinfo and the match has not started yet. sucks. In the other match thread someone posted Fawad hit a four and he is on 2 and Pakistan 21-9.

Well I am getting info here until I start watching

Ponting playing well; but there's been a few little problems.

This Ravi Rampaul gonna be cannon fodder this summer.

Typical West Indies, early wicket, lots of pace and fyah, gets to about 10 overs and they drop their heads....

1/42 after 10.

Random Aussie said:
This Ravi Rampaul gonna be cannon fodder this summer.

Typical West Indies, early wicket, lots of pace and fyah, gets to about 10 overs and they drop their heads....

1/42 after 10.

Pitch is quick, but has nothing, and ball has stopped swinging.

Ponting is just struggling a bit against Rampaul.

I'm sorry this appeals system is absolutely ********. Gayle just appealed and Ponting would've been out, the ball would've clipped the top of the stumps. But it was given not out because of the lack of certainty.

IT WAS CERTAIN TO HIT THE STUMPS. That was so plumb.

Poison said:
I'm sorry this appeals system is absolutely ********. Gayle just appealed and Ponting would've been out, the ball would've clipped the top of the stumps. But it was given not out because of the lack of certainty.

IT WAS CERTAIN TO HIT THE STUMPS. That was so plumb.
Hawk eye is a predictive system, it wasn't certain.

On_the_up said:
Hawk eye is a predictive system, it wasn't certain.

Without hawkeye, if you just saw that and knew there was no inside edge, it looked pretty damn plumb.

On another note, Ponting is really struggling against Rampaul.

Katich on magnificent 38 - Ponting 41
Aus 85-1 after 20.3 overs
Katich crossed 3000 test runs too

Katich looks set for a very very big score. He's played a chanceless innings.

Punter does not look comfortable at all.

Rampaul not having a good debut. Gone for 23 runs in last 2 overs
Aus 102-1 after 23 overs

Lunch 1/114

Wonder if they are having surf n turf for lunch.

West Indies a bit unlucky in that session.

Australia will rack up 500. :( Normal service resumes.

Ponting very lucky. Roach had him LBW, umpire is mentally ill and gave it not out, they didn't appeal but if they did, it would've been out.

RA isn't it amazing how Ponting almost always ends up on the right side of these decisions. Australians sure do get lucky while they are in Australia!

Roach is a serious talent, when Edwards comes back WI will have the fastest pace attack in the world.

Lahoria said:
RA isn't it amazing how Ponting almost always ends up on the right side of these decisions. Australians sure do get lucky while they are in Australia!

Yeah amazing. *rolls eyes*

Amazing how the team winning the match usually gets the close calls.

Ponting out to Roach for 55.

Random Aussie said:
Yeah amazing. *rolls eyes*

Amazing how the team winning the match usually gets the close calls.

Ponting out to Roach for 55.

So you honestly think Australians haven't benifited from umpiring at home :pissed:

These heart rate measuring things are not correct - Its a physical impossiblity for Roach to have hit 200.

Lahoria said:
So you honestly think Australians haven't benifited from umpiring at home :pissed:

The umpires are neutral. Not Aussie umpires. And luck goes with the side that is winning - which is usually us.

Now across to India with you and you can commiserate with their fans. ;-)

2/140 runs not coming so fast now.

Lahoria said:

Nuetral umpires make mistakes against all teams, only difference is when its an Australian batsman who gets the wrong decision nothing is said.

"The umpires are neutral. Not Aussie umpires. And luck goes with the side that is winning - which is usually us."

How do you expect a teams like WI to win when series after series the decisions are always in favor of the Australians.

Anyone else think Jerome Taylor looks like a velociraptor?

Lahoria said:
"The umpires are neutral. Not Aussie umpires. And luck goes with the side that is winning - which is usually us."

How do you expect a teams like WI to win when series after series the decisions are always in favor of the Australians.

The decision are not always in favour of us. Were the decisions in the last Ashes series in our favour? No.

Just that touring teams like to hang their hats on one bad call here and there to justify why they lost. Ignore everything else like the WI just dropped both batsman within 2 overs.

And nobody expects the WI to win, they are $18 for any punter wishing to lose his money.

2/187 should be 4 down.

Back