Australia vs South Africa | 3rd Test | Perth | 30/11/12 | Day 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeetu111

Tape Ball Captain
Runs
from Cricinfo :
Team news
Shane Watson is guaranteed to return and Mitchell Johnson is also expected to be included for his first Test in a year. Both Siddle and Hilfenhaus have been left out of the final 12 because of their huge workloads in Adelaide.

Australia (possible) 1 Ed Cowan, 2 David Warner, 3 Shane Watson, 4 Ricky Ponting, 5 Michael Clarke (capt), 6 Michael Hussey, 7 Matthew Wade (wk), 8 Mitchell Johnson, 9 Nathan Lyon, 10 Mitchell Starc, 11 Josh Hazlewood.

Faf du Plessis may earn a promotion in the batting order after his Adelaide heroics, while Ryan McLaren's all-round skills may be utilised if Jacques Kallis is not fit. Kallis, however, trained on the eve of the match and a final assessment will be made on Friday morning. Vernon Philander will return after a back complaint kept him out of Adelaide, and left-arm spinner Robin Peterson is likely to take Imran Tahir's spot.

South Africa (possible) 1 Graeme Smith (capt), 2 Alviro Petersen, 3 Hashim Amla, 4 Jacques Kallis, 5 AB de Villiers (wk), 6 Faf du Plessis, 7 Robin Peterson, 8 Vernon Philander, 9 Dale Steyn, 10 Rory Kleinveldt, 11 Morne Morkel.

Pitch and conditions
This year's WACA pitch is expected to offer plenty of pace and bounce for the fast bowlers, but a little less seam movement than was available for last summer's three-day affair between Australia and India. The weather forecast is for cool temperatures and the odd shower.

more on Aus attack for the test : Australia's chances of reclaiming the No.1 Test ranking, which will be theirs with victory at the WACA, will rest on an attack featuring four of Mitchell Johnson, Mitchell Starc, Nathan Lyon, Josh Hazlewood and John Hastings. The offspinner, Lyon, has been included in Australia's 12 but his fate won't be decided until the morning of the match, and a four-man pace attack including the uncapped Hastings and Hazlewood is a distinct possibility.

I think this track should suit the Saffer quicks. They have not fired on this tour and I think something special is in store. Cannot really see them struggling 3 matches in a row.

The Aus attack may be a little "unstable" at the mo, might be a good thing, might be a bad thing (who knows!!).

Batters on SA side have let themselves down and will be chomping at the bit for this one.

Batters on the Aus side seem to relyu very heavily on 2 playewrs at the mo, maybe Watson can help settle that.

Should be a great game which will be the best ending for a pretty competitive and tense-filled series thus far.

Saffers to win.

I think this track should suit the Saffer quicks. They have not fired on this tour and I think something special is in store. Cannot really see them struggling 3 matches in a row.

The Aus attack may be a little "unstable" at the mo, might be a good thing, might be a bad thing (who knows!!).

Batters on SA side have let themselves down and will be chomping at the bit for this one.

Batters on the Aus side seem to relyu very heavily on 2 playewrs at the mo, maybe Watson can help settle that.

Should be a great game which will be the best ending for a pretty competitive and tense-filled series thus far.

Saffers to win.

I just hope it aint a draw .
ps- i know its WACA but seen some belters there too.

Cmon Seth Africa!

you+can+do+it.jpg

I just hope the pitch matches the Perth hype & we see lots of pace & turbo bounce :)

waca pitch preview from cricket365 : The WACA wicket is a veritable seamers' paradise, as dictated by conditions for Australia's series opener against India in January and state cricket results since.

All-pace attacks were picked then, and are an arguable demand this time around. Coach Mickey Arthur, though, isn't inclined to leave a spinner out of the XI, so Nathan Lyon's spot looks safe.

Should the hosts go with just the three seamers, then who to partner Mitchell Starc and Mitchell Johnson lies in a head-to-head battle between John Hastings and Josh Hazlewood. One has to fancy the latter for his extra pace.

South Africa, at their home away from home (the Perth community sports plenty of expatriates), seem the most likely of the two sides to avoid a spinner. Imran Tahir was near useless in Brisbane, and the call-up of Ryan McLaren suggests change.

Bowling first doesn't seem the way forward, though. Three of the last four captains to do so have ended up on the losing side.

History, too, will impact the present: Australia have lost only two of their last 15 Tests here, while South Africa' last visit brought a momentous triumph in 2008. The last draw here, was in 2005, incidentally between this week's opposition.

I am with SA! Amla has to fire and I have a feeling he will do that.

Two of the finest test teams to fight for the No 1 spot..... with some really fine bowlers to feature on a seaming track. Sounds like a mouthwatering prospect

Last edited:
SA have been thoroughly outplayed all series bar a few sessions and a few individual moments of brilliance.

Shows the mettle of their self belief that they are still not 1 or 2-0 down.

But the way Aus has outplayed them is worrying for SA.

The best pace attack in the world really hasn't bowled with any sustained pressure. No consistent spells. Quite unlike them.

SA have been thoroughly outplayed all series bar a few sessions and a few individual moments of brilliance.

Shows the mettle of their self belief that they are still not 1 or 2-0 down.

But the way Aus has outplayed them is worrying for SA.

The best pace attack in the world really hasn't bowled with any sustained pressure. No consistent spells. Quite unlike them.

Wouldn't blame the bowlers too much, except for Tahir. One would think that after playing the game for over a decade, he would have learnt how to pitch the ball in the same place twice.

But the seamers have been ok. They've gotten through the top order consistently, and wrapped up the tail. Clarke is in a bit of a purple patch, and Hussey is Hussey. They'd take apart any attack given the form that they're in, so I think that credit should go to them.

Feel sad that OZ missed clear chances to go 2-0 up..

now alll their front line bowlers are out its bit difficult..

hope somehow they win...enough of this Greatest bowling attack and Greatest Batting team's hype

Feel sad that OZ missed clear chances to go 2-0 up..

now alll their front line bowlers are out its bit difficult..

hope somehow they win...enough of this Greatest bowling attack and Greatest Batting team's hype

I think you have bigger issues to worry about than who wins between Aus and SA :p

I think you have bigger issues to worry about than who wins between Aus and SA :p

Our match starts @ 5th and we are going to win comfortably...

but i am currently worried about OZ unfairly losing this series :(

Sincerely wish SA play little bit aggressively and make the match interesting...

Supporting SA on this one but I'm hoping Ricky scores a ton in both innings :)

SA starts fav. as Aus. loses their pacers.

Want Aus. to win this, so I get to see SA losing their number one position straightaway and see Aus. doing hat-trick of losing Number one position by getting beaten by Aus.

SA starts fav. as Aus. loses their pacers.

Want Aus. to win this, so I get to see SA losing their number one position straightaway and see Aus. doing hat-trick of losing Number one position by getting beaten by Aus.

Added bonus is India can reclaim No 1 ranking easily when OZ tours India..

Looking like everything is going as per plan :)

Wouldn't blame the bowlers too much, except for Tahir. One would think that after playing the game for over a decade, he would have learnt how to pitch the ball in the same place twice.

But the seamers have been ok. They've gotten through the top order consistently, and wrapped up the tail. Clarke is in a bit of a purple patch, and Hussey is Hussey. They'd take apart any attack given the form that they're in, so I think that credit should go to them.

Tbh besides Morkel nobody has looked consistently threatening. Steyn really hasn't bowled like Steyn. Which is a shame because the Australian public deserve to see him at his best.

Basically SAs best two players Steyn and Amla have so far disappointed.

Surprised to see so much SA support here.

Australia is clearly the underdog here (on paper at least)

Tahir should be dropped, seriously the guy went over 7 runs an over. Joke of a bowler, even Warner seemed like a better spinner than Tahir. Paul Harris is so much better than Tahir.

Starc should be selected, he's my favorite bowler at the moment after Jimmy of course.

Luckily match is at Perth. If match were at SCG, Tahir would have stayed by technicality. hell even part timer Warner bowls better than Maniac Celebrator.

Added bonus is India can reclaim No 1 ranking easily when OZ tours India..

Looking like everything is going as per plan :)

For that at least 6 indian players need to be in form! Right now there are only 3.

Anyway, I don't think India will be number one even if they beat England both tests and beat Aus. 4-0. However, if Aus. loses to SL, then there is a possibility that we may get close to it, but won't gain number one position. We may have to beat SA in SA.

SA have great chance To win this test match
Aussies bowling is weak this time around
Jonhson is doing his comeback
Strac first class average in four day cricket is 32 he is not as effective test bowler as he is in Odi and T-20
Josh Hazlewood is doing his debut his First class bowling average is 32 taken 43 wickets in 15 matches his last match figure in Shield cricket 2/83 vs Victoria
No spin for Lyon on perth pitch
Aussies bowling line up is weak this time around

A lot of support for the saffers here.

I quite fancy Australia's chances here.

Conditions will suite their pace attack with the in form Starc and Johnson in his comeback who has played his best cricket against SA in the past. Don't agree with Australian batting solely relying on pup and Huss. Warner is coming in off a great ton and who can forget his blistering 180 last time he played at the Wacca. Cowen is also coming in after a ton. Watson is back. Ponting will have the pressure valves released with his retirement announcement and will be itching for a farewell ton.

I am hoping this match will be a cracker, and expect Australia coming in hard after dominating the first 2 matches and not sealing a win. Passion will be high to send Ricky off with a win on top of that.

On the other hand 'the best pace attack in the world' haven't troubled the Australians much at all this series and facing a crop of quicks the batsmen have not had the luxury of facing before the fast and bouncy Wacca wickets could prove a problem for them.

Australia to win by a mile.

I think starc will have a good game. But morkel and steyn will be spitting fire.

saffers will take this, and ruin punters goodbye gift

Tbh besides Morkel nobody has looked consistently threatening. Steyn really hasn't bowled like Steyn. Which is a shame because the Australian public deserve to see him at his best.

Basically SAs best two players Steyn and Amla have so far disappointed.

We've seen him at his best, took a 10 fer at the Boxing day Test to take the series, number 1 rank and first series loss at home for 20 years.

I prefer to see him at his not so good current form thanks

Looking at the pitch it's not as green last year. Ground is overcast with strong winds so I'd bowl first.

Starc will get a 5 fer.

Strac First class four day bowling average is 32
he has taken 11 wicket in 4 test matches he is not good in test as he is in Odi and T-20
I think this time around Aussies pace attack will be weak
Siddle,Pattinson,Hilfinhouse ozs will miss them surely
and SA have good memory in perth thay had win Test match against Aussies in 2008 at perth

Last edited:
Ab tweet@ on our way to Waca for the series decider have some very good memories of this place would love to make few more

Oh man.....finally a pitch for "Greatest bowling attack" in world..

Feel sorry for OZ they done all the hardwork,played attacking cricket..now when their main bowlers out they get a pitch like this

Dean elgar will make his debut,Robbie peterson will make his comeback and Philander also back in line up Tahir,Klvidelt and Rudolph out

Like the make up of our team, hope that this test isn't spoiled by injuries for either side. Aussies playing an entirely new bowling attack.

Sent from my XT910 using Tapatalk 2

Australia team
EJM Cowan, DA Warner, SR Watson, RT Ponting, MJ Clarke*, MEK Hussey, MS Wade†, JW Hastings, MG Johnson, MA Starc, NM Lyon

South Africa team
GC Smith*, AN Petersen, HM Amla, JH Kallis, AB de Villiers†, D Elgar, F du Plessis, RJ Peterson, VD Philander, DW Steyn, M Morkel

10 am South Africa have won the toss. They will bat

Kallis is fit enough to play, though only as a batsman

Quite a few unexpected changes for his one

Philander and Peterson are in, and Dean Elgar is making his Test debut. Kleinveldt, Tahir and Rudolph are out.

Australia's pace attack reads Johnson, Starc, Hastings as opposed to Siddle, Hilfenhaus, Pattinson. And Watson is in for Quiney.

Pitch and conditions

This year's WACA pitch is expected to offer plenty of pace and bounce for the fast bowlers, but a little less seam movement than was available for last summer's three-day affair between Australia and India. The weather forecast is for cool temperatures and the odd shower.

Stats and trivia

A victory for Australia would hand them the ICC's No. 1 ranking in Tests, a position they last held in 2009. South Africa will retain top spot with a draw
AB de Villiers is seven runs short of surpassing his coach Gary Kirsten's tally against Australia, his 1134 runs in 10th place on the list of run-scorers in Tests between the two countries
Ricky Ponting's Test match average at the WACA - 41.43 - is his lowest among all of Australia's major grounds

I feel that Aussies should start looking beyond Johnson , though having shown faith in Lyon is good thing. When Australia come to India , they would need two frontline spinners to put India in pressure.

:))) :)))

Mark Nicholas says that type of stuff all the time too and you dont complain :))

Yes I do, I hate Mark Nicholas. But I watch with the sound off mostly due to Ian Healy, who I hate with the fire of a billion suns.

Just no need in the match thread to make captain obvious remarks. Bowlers want wickets, batters want runs.

this is 40th test match at WACA.

In previous 39 tests;

Side winning the toss, batted first 19 times...winning 6 times, 10 losses and 3 draws.

Side winning the toss, fielded first 20 times...winning 7 times, 9 losses and 4 draws.

Poor stuff from the bowlers so far. Haven't found the length yet..

Ah its been so long I forgot Watto's bowling. Which is lucky cos the other three seamers look like garbage.

Pitch looks flat, punter better score 100!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back