Australia win 2nd ODI against New Zealand by 116 runs in Canberra

Abdul

ODI Debutant
Runs
Australia Squad

SPD Smith*, DA Warner, GJ Bailey, HWR Cartwright, PJ Cummins, JP Faulkner, AJ Finch, JR Hazlewood, TM Head, MR Marsh, GJ Maxwell, MA Starc, MS Wade†, A Zampa

New Zealand Squad

KS Williamson*, TD Astle, TA Boult, C de Grandhomme, LH Ferguson, MJ Guptill, MJ Henry, TWM Latham, C Munro, JDS Neesham, HM Nicholls, MJ Santner, TG Southee, BJ Watling†

Taken half day off tomorrow - hope rain doesn't spoil the party.
[MENTION=132916]Junaids[/MENTION], boss what's the chance of play at evening in East coast in 10 days time? I believe summer starts this week.

Picking up where we left off last game :kakmal

I think, good decision to chase against AUS. Despite a horror show in field, Kiwis actually managed asking rate chasing 325 till 40th over; probably had a realistic chance to chase below 300 target.

I think, good decision to chase against AUS. Despite a horror show in field, Kiwis actually managed asking rate chasing 325 till 40th over; probably had a realistic chance to chase below 300 target.
Need to restrict them to under 300 now :))

Should have given the new ball to Southee.

Unless we bring balance in ODI cricket (between bat & ball), days are not far away when we'll have 2 hours T12 matches.

That's why I think pitches in Bangladesh are best for ODI, you get the 90s feeling.

That's why I think pitches in Bangladesh are best for ODI, you get the 90s feeling.

Worst probably AUS, almost always 300 is given - this is reflecting in their game when there is something in it for bowlers. Also, to my surprise, despite being such a good fielding unit, oblate AUS is poor in defending large totals on belters.

Worst probably AUS, almost always 300 is given - this is reflecting in their game when there is something in it for bowlers. Also, to my surprise, despite being such a good fielding unit, oblate AUS is poor in defending large totals on belters.

Australia have won eleven matches defending over 300 in the last three years, how did you come up with your statement?.

Steve Smith has to be the ugliest top batsmen of all time. I can't think of any worse than him off the top of my head.

It looks like he's batting with a damn shovel most times.. :facepalm:

Australia have won eleven matches defending over 300 in the last three years, how did you come up with your statement?.

Some days back, I saw a stats, which tells probably 8 to 10 of the top 13/14 chases are against AUS, which includes targets like 437, 370, 360, 350, 340, 330 ..... and in some cases the chase was embarrassingly one sided - inside 45 overs, by 7/8 wickets - and most of those are in last few years.

Well, I thought winning at defending 300+ is easier than losing at defending 300+, hence I came up that AUS, despite such good fielding unit struggles to defend big totals on belters - but I might be wrong.

Some days back, I saw a stats, which tells probably 8 to 10 of the top 13/14 chases are against AUS, which includes targets like 437, 370, 360, 350, 340, 330 ..... and in some cases the chase was embarrassingly one sided - inside 45 overs, by 7/8 wickets - and most of those are in last few years.

Well, I thought winning at defending 300+ is easier than losing at defending 300+, hence I came up that AUS, despite such good fielding unit struggles to defend big totals on belters - but I might be wrong.

Where your theory takes a dive is batting first Australia will post a big score more often than most teams.

Where your theory takes a dive is batting first Australia will post a big score more often than most teams.

:facepalm:

Are you arguing for the sake of it or understood what was point? Let me clear you, so that my theory can raise it's nose above water -

The issue was an option of batting first or 2nd after winning toss & I thought Kiwis did the right thing by opting to chase - because this is going to be a high scoring match & on belters, it's probably gives them better chance to chase 300 against AUS than defending 300.

When a team wins close to 70% matches (that's including recent 0-5), obviously your spaces are very narrow against them - within that narrow space, one channel could be that, AUS has suffered 8 of highest 10 chases & most of them in last 3/4 years - BUT against that; their chasing record is almost spotless. Which, indicates, in a Series saver, Kiwis did the right thing to opt for chasing rather than setting a target on what looks to be a batting belter. Will they win it by chasing - chances are less, AUS can blow them out with 350 target; but, again, I'll take a target of 300 to chase rather than defend against AUS, if I have the choice at toss.

What's you issue I can perfectly understand, but that's uncalled for - I don't drag things from yesterday. Hope this explanation has taken a reverse dive of my theory.

Last edited:
Steve Smith has to be the ugliest top batsmen of all time. I can't think of any worse than him off the top of my head.

It looks like he's batting with a damn shovel most times.. :facepalm:

lolwut? he is very entertaining to watch. Not textbook technique but a lot of fun

The bat prolly looks like a shovel to you cuz of how often he has buried your team with it.. :D

Australia 192/1 (34.1 ov)
Steven Smith (rhb) 56 (64)
David Warner (lhb) 107 (107)

Going for sleep - Ken son, you missed the boat; nothing more to watch for old guy like me.

This is not a boring, out dated Test match where, I could have watched Ken & Co. grinding out a draw against 650 total ........ this is dynamic & modern LO game. Last match, Aussies posted 325, Kiwis responded with 250 - that's 575 runs in 95 overs at 6+/over - every ball is like "pataka" - excitement, speed, suspense, action, power ....... SIXER - we enjoyed the thrill till last ball - it perfectly proved that cricket is a game of glorious uncertainty; even till last ball Kiwis were in the game (As always - as long as the asking is less than 36....).

Hope Aussies prepare less dynamic wickets for Test matches :(

I think it is sure shot 5_0 in ODIs for pak and our great record of conceding 444 is also under threat, aussie batting on these belters is nothing less than nightmare. But in long term it will do us good if we can get rid of mr. Captain after this epic phainty, [MENTION=79064]MMHS[/MENTION] & [MENTION=132916]Junaids[/MENTION] can you see pak doing any upsets in ODI series on these roads with the team pak have.

Travis Head at it again. Really found the zone with bat in the SL tour at this level.

I think it is sure shot 5_0 in ODIs for pak and our great record of conceding 444 is also under threat, aussie batting on these belters is nothing less than nightmare. But in long term it will do us good if we can get rid of mr. Captain after this epic phainty, [MENTION=79064]MMHS[/MENTION] & [MENTION=132916]Junaids[/MENTION] can you see pak doing any upsets in ODI series on these roads with the team pak have.

You brought me again - batting first, hardly any chance. Aussies will chase 450 without hitting a single boundary against Azhar's field placing & the size of the ground.

But, more importantly, batting first, PAK won't post more than 270/5 .............. with Captain cool hitting a nice 85 of 91 ... Batting 2nd, may be - one of those days, new ball might find Aussies 90/4 after 12. But, then Imad & Nawaz bowling in middle overs won't do any dodo to even Faulkner & Mitch Marsh - Aussies will reach to 325 at least from there on - add 25 for PAK's running & 25 for AUS fielding - even Hong Kong will defend 375 on those large grounds against PAK.

Only chance & I might be wrong - is to play 50 overs of wicket taking options, including 10 overs of Yasir, bowling like a Test match. May be once, Aussies will self destruct themselves to 270ish totals, which is possible to chase, even with 5 batsmen. Or other-way, if 5 times, PAK bats first, at least once they should reach close to 300 - against that attack, Aussies will struggle to play out 50 overs.

One thing, I can write it down - if AUS bats 50 overs chasing - PAK will not defend 450, neither will protect 375 if Aussies bat first with 3 down till 35th over. It has to be 10 wickets game & best way is Amir, Sohail, Hasan, Yasir & may be Imad bowling 50 overs to take 10 wickets like Test match - be batting first or second.

Good night.

You brought me again - batting first, hardly any chance. Aussies will chase 450 without hitting a single boundary against Azhar's field placing & the size of the ground.

But, more importantly, batting first, PAK won't post more than 270/5 .............. with Captain cool hitting a nice 85 of 91 ... Batting 2nd, may be - one of those days, new ball might find Aussies 90/4 after 12. But, then Imad & Nawaz bowling in middle overs won't do any dodo to even Faulkner & Mitch Marsh - Aussies will reach to 325 at least from there on - add 25 for PAK's running & 25 for AUS fielding - even Hong Kong will defend 375 on those large grounds against PAK.

Only chance & I might be wrong - is to play 50 overs of wicket taking options, including 10 overs of Yasir, bowling like a Test match. May be once, Aussies will self destruct themselves to 270ish totals, which is possible to chase, even with 5 batsmen. Or other-way, if 5 times, PAK bats first, at least once they should reach close to 300 - against that attack, Aussies will struggle to play out 50 overs.

One thing, I can write it down - if AUS bats 50 overs chasing - PAK will not defend 450, neither will protect 375 if Aussies bat first with 3 down till 35th over. It has to be 10 wickets game & best way is Amir, Sohail, Hasan, Yasir & may be Imad bowling 50 overs to take 10 wickets like Test match - be batting first or second.

Good night.

thanks for the reply, and fully agree with you, may you have a sound sleep, and a dream in which pak thump aus 5-0 in ODIs and then you wake up.

Awful bowling display.

Games like this are why ODI's are fast dying.

It's all over after 40 overs.

No point watching the next 3hrs.

Good night.
Ken should get the boot.

Horrible captain who does not have a clue how to manage his bowlers and is a midget under pressure.

Ken should get the boot.

Horrible captain who does not have a clue how to manage his bowlers and is a midget under pressure.

Or maybe the Australian batsmen are unstoppable on Australian pitches. Remember that Australia scored more than 300 in all 5 ODIs in the last series India played there.

Pakistan will tour soon, that will tell us more about whether Ken was deficient or the Aussie batsmen are just too good at home.

Also Ken just won a Test series 2-0, so maybe you can go a bit more easy on him.

Last edited:
Guptill needs to score a double if we're any chance.

Despite what others might tell you, he is our best LOI batsmen by a distance.

New Zealand 24/0 (2.6 ov)
New Zealand require another 355 runs with 10 wickets and 47.0 overs remaining

New Zealand 40/1 (5.4 ov)
Latham gone

Williamson has to deliver today. He's been attritional in recent times

Really worry sign for us. We were outplayed by NZ who is now outplaying by Australia.
Australia will crush us both test and ODI. We will be lucky if we manage to win or draw a test or ODI. Australia will score at least 2-3 over 400+ against our mediocre bowling in ODI and test only GOD knows.

Captain technique doing his best to get the RR up to 10 by the 15th over :bow:

World class, future ATG :bow:

I'm predicting that after the ODI series, Azhar will get sacked and replaced by Sarfraz.

If you mean KW for Watling, I'm all for it. Anyone but Mr. Technique.

I think NZ were way better last year but this year they're "alright", I think McCullum's retirement may have had an impact. But 100% Azhar will get sacked and I do hope so.

I'm predicting that after the ODI series, Azhar will get sacked and replaced by Sarfraz.

Azhar Ali has lots of support by Moin, Mohsin, Wasim, Latif....... It will be highly unlikely he will be sacked specially our test team will be whitewashed as well.
So Azhar, Misbah, Shafiq and Younis will be continuing to play. To make it worse Hafeez will join for the next series

"Good to see us avoiding Pakistan's mistake, by securing the draw before we push for the win." :)))

Neesham making a move, KW at least needs to be playing run a ball here if he wants to be the anchor.

Willimsion always sounds technically good but he doesn't have a third or fourth gear

His serene nature with rotating the strike won't win you matches like this

Here is where kohli,root and smith's versatility is visible in shorter formats while the former masterd it .....they can easily adjust the pace on accordance with the situation unlike kane

Surprising that this team got blanked 0-5 in SA just a month back :O

Aussie ODI lineup is solid with powerful hitters all the way, their bowlers do well down under, pretty tough to even win a single game against them.

Willimsion always sounds technically good but he doesn't have a third or fourth gear

His serene nature with rotating the strike won't win you matches like this

Here is where kohli,root and smith's versatility is visible in shorter formats while the former masterd it .....they can easily adjust the pace on accordance with the situation unlike kane
I have never rated Kane highly in LOI's, he isn't even the best batsmen in the team.

Surprising that this team got blanked 0-5 in SA just a month back :O

Aussie ODI lineup is solid with powerful hitters all the way, their bowlers do well down under, pretty tough to even win a single game against them.
Aus were missing their bowling attack.

Aus were missing their bowling attack.

And the Aussies are very much unbeatable at home in ODIs. India didn't do much better against them despite Kohli and Rohit both being in good form.

And the Aussies are very much unbeatable at home in ODIs. India didn't do much better against them despite Kohli and Rohit both being in good form.

Top 3 (Rohit, Dhawan and Kohli) were in belligerent form and still we could win only a single game courtesy Manish debut century :|

We'd be better off if Technique got out.

Such a horrible innings, he doesn't deserve 100, it would be another soft ton in the bank for Captain Technique.

Fantastic innings by the captain.

Thrilled he didn't get a century.

There are at least 20 players better than Williamson in ODIs. He is not a match winner like Kohli.

We'd be better off if Technique got out.

Such a horrible innings, he doesn't deserve 100, it would be another soft ton in the bank for Captain Technique.

Give credits where it is due,he played his role well....me too agree that he should have used a better tactic on accelerating while neesham was in but this is the way he always plays and looks pretty comfortable out their

In other way its better to be 175-2 rather than playing some fancy shots and being 4 or 5 down for 100

After 30 overs Oz were 160ish for 1........so u will get that,the trouble is not with kane but you haven't had an innings like Head and Marsh .....the problem is u guys are over depended on guptil n kane and the lover order looks shabby

Give credits where it is due,he played his role well....me too agree that he should have used a better tactic on accelerating while neesham was in but this is the way he always plays and looks pretty comfortable out their

In other way its better to be 175-2 rather than playing some fancy shots and being 4 or 5 down for 100

After 30 overs Oz were 160ish for 1........so u will get that,the trouble is not with kane but you haven't had an innings like Head and Marsh .....the problem is u guys are over depended on guptil n kane and the lover order looks shabby
We're dependent on Guptill, he's our match winner.

Kane isn't a match winner.

We're dependent on Guptill, he's our match winner.

Kane isn't a match winner.

Agree he alone can win matches but with proper support he can

This score is too much and u always need superhero perfo's to be their

Didn't watched the first inngs but seeing oz's bowl i think nuz bowled pretty poorly

This reminds me of a Pakistani batting lineup going about chasing a 378 in 50 overs.. 251/8 isn't that your typical Pakistani chase?

Kane Williamson's knock was 81 runs off 80 balls.. I remember a certain Hafeez made an 80 odd vs NZ in 2015 ODIs at run a ball and got bashed for that.. its a pretty selfish knock from Williamson

Last edited:
Kane needs to open the batting.
Latham needs to be dropped asap.
Utterly useless waste of space.

Was the pitch good for bowling in first innings? Usually you win the toss and vat first in odi in Australia.

I am worried about our tour to NZ . They will be ready to beat us in reply of aussie thrash :D

It's a sad day for cricket when a team scores 378 in an ODI and nobody cares because scores of that size are so common these days.

Even 10 years ago 378 was a massive score. Now it's nothing special.

The Aussies will inflict massive defeats to Azhar XI

Back