Azhar Ali vs Cheteshwar Pujara - Who is better in Tests?

Well well.....

Both in similar situations. Azhar Ali with a magnificent match winning ton. Time for Pujara to step up but he failed...

Well well.....

Both in similar situations. Azhar Ali with a magnificent match winning ton. Time for Pujara to step up but he failed...
And Pujaras 153 in South Africa vs a full throttle SA pace attack, wow some next level bias for Azhar or hate for Pujara. I'm pretty sure everyone would have pujara in their team rather than Azhar....Azhar is still a very good player tho...just needs more 150+ scores

And Pujaras 153 in South Africa vs a full throttle SA pace attack, wow some next level bias for Azhar or hate for Pujara. I'm pretty sure everyone would have pujara in their team rather than Azhar....Azhar is still a very good player tho...just needs more 150+ scores

"A 153 in South Africa vs Steyn, Philander & Morkel" - sounds great doesn't it but honestly anyone who watched that series will know it was a complete farce. Nothing like South African conditions at all therefore I do not rate those knocks as highly as I usually would rate an Asian ton in SA.

Pujara clearly ahead. Both struggle against swing though.

Joke of a thread. Look at Ali strike rate and Pujara. There's a massive difference. Ali is overrated.

Is this is a joke thread? Pujara is the best batsman in Indian line up and Azhar is not even Pakistans best.

I rate Pujara as a better batsman than Kohli.

I generally don't compare players but hey, Pujara is 100 times the batsman Azhar Ali is. No young batsman, NO ONE, is as talented as Pujara is is. Certainly an ATG in the making.

Pujara has similar averages to yasir hameed and umar akmal after a similar amount of matches

I certainly rate him as high as hameed

Azhar Ali vs. Cheteshwar Pujara

Pujara is way ahead of Azhar he was brilliant in SA yeah they weren't greentops but they weren't exactly roads they were good sporting wickets and Azhar was pathetic in SA cost us the Cape Town Test I think calling a potential ATG is a bit much but he will be a top draw player in the years to come

Pujara is way ahead of Azhar he was brilliant in SA yeah they weren't greentops but they weren't exactly roads they were good sporting wickets and Azhar was pathetic in SA cost us the Cape Town Test I think calling a potential ATG is a bit much but he will be a top draw player in the years to come

Pujara's average drops by 20 against south africa, and his failure again in todays match shows he's not one for the big occasion

Pujara has a better technique than Azhar and looks more confident in his approach.

This thread will go the same way as the Junaid vs BK thread

:)))

Bullet Drive strikes again.

Pujara is miles better than Azhar.

"A 153 in South Africa vs Steyn, Philander & Morkel" - sounds great doesn't it but honestly anyone who watched that series will know it was a complete farce. Nothing like South African conditions at all therefore I do not rate those knocks as highly as I usually would rate an Asian ton in SA.

What if Umar Akmal would have scored those runs in the same conditions? This website would have crashed because of your 1 million posts per second.

There's biased opinions an delusions. We get that but then, there's a level of biasness, fan boyism and delusion that only you can breach.

Azhar couldn't buy a run in 2013 and one ton makes him better than the best young Test batsman in the world. LOL.

What if Umar Akmal would have scored those runs in the same conditions? This website would have crashed because of your 1 million posts per second.

Umar Akmal is very hyped around these parts.

There was a time when every second thread was about him. Yes he scored a good ton first up against Bond but everything since then has been bog average. He doesn't play tests anymore does he?

Pujara is a good bat! Haven't seen much of Azhar Ali outside of a few tests vs Eng and SA.

Umar Akmal is very hyped around these parts.

There was a time when every second thread was about him. Yes he scored a good ton first up against Bond but everything since then has been bog average. He doesn't play tests anymore does he?

Pujara is a good bat! Haven't seen much of Azhar Ali outside of a few tests vs Eng and SA.

That hundred was full of flashy and risky shots including a clanger by some slip of yours when he was on 15 or something. It was clear that it was a once in a lifetime flukey innings. He hasn't done anything since in Test cricket apart from pretty 30s and 40s.

Not cut for Test cricket.

Well well.....

Lol. I'm a fan of :azhar but there is no competition between him and Pujara who is one of the most (if not the most) technically sound batsmen from the subcontinent.

No Comparison! Never will be! Pujara is miled ahead. This is going to be another Kolhi vs Akmal or BK vs Junaid kind of thread.

This thread :facepalm: . This is the sole reason why they compare their trundlers with out fast bowlers. If we just accept

1. Pak > Ind (In bowling)
2. Ind > Pak (In Batting)

Life on PP would become relatively easy :) wouldn't it guys :D

Im a huge fan of Azhar Ali but pujara is a class ahead although i will say that Azhar has a knack for scoring match-winning and important runs.

How many batsmen have you see make run a ball against SA bowlers in test matches. May be you see the matches on cricinfo, and not live. Pujara was simply majestic during the third session on the third day, and India raised 175 off 30 odd overs after tea, with Pujara scoring 90 odd in one session alone.

This thread :facepalm: . This is the sole reason why they compare their trundlers with out fast bowlers. If we just accept

What will be the fun then?

And Pujara is miles ahead of Azhar Ali.

Where have I said Azhar is the best test batsman in the world?

What I posted is fact and truth:

Azhar stepped up when it mattered most and Pujara did not.

Azhar is far more experienced and everyone has failures... I disagree with mamoon always but im with him. In current performance wise, pujara is lighyears ahead

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another rubbish argument but why am I not surprised?

There is no "best time" to score and neither is there a time where your team needs you "the most".

It is completely subjective and used by people like you to suit their agenda.

When Pujara scored double hundreds vs Australia and England, didn't India need those runs?

When he scored a hundred in South Africa, didn't India need those runs?

Azhar Ali scored a match winning hundred vs SL, but what about the fact that was garbage with the bat throughout 2013?

When his poor batting contributed to Pakistan losing a Test in Zimbabwe of all places, didn't Pakistan require him to score runs at that time? was it a bad time to score?

Who decides what is a bad or a good time to score? Who decides when does your team need you the most?

Give me one example of a situation past or present where a batsman was required not to score runs OR not to play well.

If a batsman scores a match winning double hundred in a difficult chase and fails for the next 10 games, does that make him a batsman who scores when the team needs him?

Why didn't the team need him for the next 10 games.

A similar argument is used by people to defend Shafiq. He is a good Test batsman in my opinion but he has been very ordinary and inconsistent for a long period now and deserves to be dropped.

The argument they make is that he scores in pressure situation or when he is needed the most. Again, a flawed and lame argument. Read the double hundred-10 games example again.

Funnily enough, you don't back Shafiq because of two reasons:

1) Your contract doesn't cover players above the age of 25 (Azhar is a rare exception).

2) He has taken the place of your boy Umar Akmal.

Frankly I am tired of taking your senseless and supremely biased arguments to the cleaners time and time again. :sami

Another rubbish argument but why am I not surprised?

There is no "best time" to score and neither is there a time where your team needs you "the most".

It is completely subjective and used by people like you to suit their agenda.

When Pujara scored double hundreds vs Australia and England, didn't India need those runs?

When he scored a hundred in South Africa, didn't India need those runs?

Azhar Ali scored a match winning hundred vs SL, but what about the fact that was garbage with the bat throughout 2013?

When his poor batting contributed to Pakistan losing a Test in Zimbabwe of all places, didn't Pakistan require him to score runs at that time? was it a bad time to score?

Who decides what is a bad or a good time to score? Who decides when does your team need you the most?

Give me one example of a situation past or present where a batsman was required not to score runs OR not to play well.

If a batsman scores a match winning double hundred in a difficult chase and fails for the next 10 games, does that make him a batsman who scores when the team needs him?

Why didn't the team need him for the next 10 games.

A similar argument is used by people to defend Shafiq. He is a good Test batsman in my opinion but he has been very ordinary and inconsistent for a long period now and deserves to be dropped.

The argument they make is that he scores in pressure situation or when he is needed the most. Again, a flawed and lame argument. Read the double hundred-10 games example again.

Funnily enough, you don't back Shafiq because of two reasons:

1) Your contract doesn't cover players above the age of 25 (Azhar is a rare exception).

2) He has taken the place of your boy Umar Akmal.

Frankly I am tired of taking your senseless and supremely biased arguments to the cleaners time and time again. :sami

Chasing a big total under pressure to win the game.

Both faced similar situations, Azhar did well whilst Pujara failed

Are you blind? Its simple.

Stop twisting everything. Nobody takes you seriously anyway.

So your point is, that Pujara is far better than Azhar, but in their last respective Tests, Azhar produced a match winning innings and Pujara didn't.

Right?

But its not that simple.

You have conveniently poured water over their past performances and have attempted to make Azhar look better than Pujara.

Others might or might not be able to see your tactics but I surely can :jf

Azhar and Pujara are incomparable. One is a decent-ish Test batsman while the other is the best young Test batsman in the world.

You just cannot make an analogy between the two without looking extremely biased.

Come on BD. Azhar did it against the Lankans who had set defensive fields and their bowlers (barring Herath) are rubbish and the pitch was pretty flat too. Pujara was playing against NZ, the target was considerably higher and there is no comparison between the NZ bowling attack and the Lankans. Plus the ball was moving around which was also the reason for Pujara's dismissal in the second innings. And don't forget Brendon McCullum is an aggressive captain unlike Mathews who is arguably the most defensive.

No1 takes him seriously but he's right as of now. If azhar couldnt do it against zimbabwe, why is pujaras one failure so bad? Whenever he fails, he fails to unplayable deliveries like steyns or southee. Pujara>azhar simple, azhar is a good bat but not on pujara level

I agree with Mamoon's response on this point.
But I have to add another point:-
When has Umar Akmal stepped up "when it mattered most",as you would say?
I chose Umar Akmal because you are in love with him.

In spite of saying that,I rate Akmal highly.He is a very good LOI batsman and it is about time he takes his game to another level.

Pujara is streets ahead. He has a much better technique and is temperamentally strong. He is better equipped to face difficult situations.

You are just taking an overall view of this point but it is not true for every case.
Saeed Anwar is better than Gautam Gambhir.
Kapil Dev is better than Sohail Tanvir.
Javed Miandad is better than Rohit Sharma.
Javagal Srinath is better than Sohail Khan.

So,this theory is not fully true.

BD has become an embarassing troll. Even stooping down to trashing the players of his own team. Tch tch tch!

Pujara has a hunger for runs. Thats the sole reason why he'S more successful

Knew this was coming but right now Azhar is the better player. Played all his cricket away from home and is averaging 45+ without playing in Pakistan. He also has no real quality batsman in the line up to look up to bar Younis whereas Pujara has Sehwag, Gambhir, Sachin & others.

Bullet Drive strikes again.

Pujara is miles better than Azhar.

BD was correct again.

Azhar is a quality batsman and a lot better then the overrated Pujara.

We all saw what Pujara was capable of in England. Similarly I remember Azhar on his first tour ever going to England alongside a young team of nobodies yet scoring 92* against a world class attack on very very tough pitches.

Azhar averaging 41 in test cricket. 7 tons without playing a single game in his home country. Remarkable.

Pujara is a far better batsman. Stop it.

He's overrated because he's Indian, if he was Pakistani, you'd be hyping him up as the next Bradman.

2 double hundreds against England and Australia, enough said.

Yes he struggled in England, but what about SA? What did Azhar do there?

BD was correct again.

Azhar is a quality batsman and a lot better then the overrated Pujara.

We all saw what Pujara was capable of in England. Similarly I remember Azhar on his first tour ever going to England alongside a young team of nobodies yet scoring 92* against a world class attack on very very tough pitches.

Azhar averaging 41 in test cricket. 7 tons without playing a single game in his home country. Remarkable.

When was BD ever wrong?

I like Pujara a lot but Azhar's game has improved and who's to say he won't continue with this form. Of course Pujara is still the superior talent.

Difference in class will always be there, like Younis vs Dravid for example.

Pujara is a far better batsman. Stop it.

He's overrated because he's Indian, if he was Pakistani, you'd be hyping him up as the next Bradman.

2 double hundreds against England and Australia, enough said.

Yes he struggled in England, but what about SA? What did Azhar do there?

Don't look at games on Cricinfo.

I watched the SA series every ball and Azhar looked one of our best bat. He got stuck in almost every time but he eventually either got out to a beauty. Once was run out. He had no problem with SA pace attack and handled them very well. Keppler said exact same thing.

Also by me saying Pujara is overrated doesn't mean I dislike him. Pujara is a very good batsman in his own right and a very likeable guy however he is seriously overrated by many.

Once again your love for your home country coming through.

Why are you never as positive you are to Indians then you are to Pakistanis? Please answer.

I think at the moment Azhar is the better player but his test will come when he plays successive series outside SC. Pujara looked very average in England admittedly in tough conditions.

Azhar played very well in England on his first ever tour! Against Australia in the first test he scored a 42, in the 2nd a 50. Against England he scored 92*. Was easily our best bat despite being a newcomer. He had a bad patch last year which started in SA but IIRC he wasn't getting out to false shots, rather he was gotten out all the time. He handled the bowlers better than most in SA.

If You're going to look at Pujaras performances against England/Aus in the sub-continent then AA was the only player averaging 50 on either side against Eng & he averaged 97+ against Aus when almost every time he came in after the fall of an early wicket. On two occassions we were 8/2 & 21/2 and he helped calm the storm. ATM Azhar better but Pujara definitely has the potential.

Last edited:
People here take everything written in stone. :facepalm:

So, what if Azhar wasnt good enough 2 years back versus Pujara? What about now. From the recent series. Pujara failed in an epic manner in all matches whereas Azhar scored well. Still a long way to go though for both of them.

Some of you don't watch much cricket.

Azhar has improved a lot in the last year.

He doesn't have the tight defensive technique or range of shots as Pujara but hes still a solid batsman.

Still has the same old problem. It takes nothing away from Azhar who's also been brilliant this year but Anyone who watches cricket will know that Pujara would decimate Azhar. One failure of a tour away doesn't change this.

Pujara and Ali are in two totally different class and it should be obvious to anyone watching cricket for a while. Here some folks are comparing these two only due to one reason. Pujara didn't score in Eng and Ali did score in UAE.

Look at how they play and range of shots. Baring injury, I have absolutely no doubt that Pujara will have a far better career.

Last edited:
Pujara is definitely better but Azhar is a good batsman in his own right. Azhar is going to find a second gear or become a rock away from home too if he is end up as a great batsman.

Azhar is a limited player, but a very hard working & disciplined player. He is a type of player who always gives his best & often out performs his capability. I actually don't agree that his only success is on UAE roads - his 150+ in UAE against ENG (& a 70+ in previous Test) was as difficult as anywhere one can get. Also, in his debut series, he made an outstanding 91* against the English pace attack, probably at their peak. I was really impressed his 103* in UAE, chasing that sort of target. I think, Azhar is a better player than he looks - but he is not much flamboyant - teams can restrict his scoring shot, which I don't think is a big problem in Test batting at 2 or 3. But, I don't think he 'll have a career average over 50.

Pujara looks to be a near perfect No. 3. He should finish his career with 50+ average. Only problem is Sajay Majreker looked to be even better before he started to visit out side subcontinent. Pujara 'll always score runs, tons of that in home condition, but since the J'burg Test, he is declining alarmingly - from an average of 65, it has come down under 50 & as the WI Series is postponed, after AUS tour his average might come closer to 40 than 50. Personally, I think Rahne is a better bat than Pujara, though Pujara 'll end up with highest average among this lot for his capability of making hay in sun shine.

Unless he proves me wrong in AUS, he might replace Vinod Kambli as the most undeserving batsman with a career average over 50.

Pujara is gifted player with technique and flair whereas azhar is not as gifted as pujara or any no. 3 in the world.
and thats what makes me like him more the way he fights he is mentally more stronger than pujara.
ATM I feel azhar has an upper hand.

I don't get 'Pujara's Gifts' to be honest there are many Indian batsmen more talented than him but yeah they might not have the temperament that he has but i'm pretty sure that's not a gift.

I don't get 'Pujara's Gifts' to be honest there are many Indian batsmen more talented than him but yeah they might not have the temperament that he has but i'm pretty sure that's not a gift.

Lol who's more talented other than Rahane? Kohli Fisher? Sticker Chawan? FTB Sharma?

Pujara's a class batsman. Yeah, his technique against pace might not be textbook perfect but it's effective as anyone's. Has all the shots in the world. He is your best player of spin.

Had he been fully healthy against England, I've no doubt he would've put a ton or two.

Lol who's more talented other than Rahane? Kohli Fisher? Sticker Chawan? FTB Sharma?

Pujara's a class batsman. Yeah, his technique against pace might not be textbook perfect but it's effective as anyone's. Has all the shots in the world. He is your best player of spin.

Had he been fully healthy against England, I've no doubt he would've put a ton or two.

Time will tell how good a player he is Gambhir looked mighty scoring double centuries while playing in SC also very good against spinner and we saw what he was outside SC ,Pujara looks to be on similar line and weaker mentally.Its just IMO.

Last edited:
Don't look at games on Cricinfo.

I watched the SA series every ball and Azhar looked one of our best bat. He got stuck in almost every time but he eventually either got out to a beauty. Once was run out. He had no problem with SA pace attack and handled them very well. Keppler said exact same thing.

Also by me saying Pujara is overrated doesn't mean I dislike him. Pujara is a very good batsman in his own right and a very likeable guy however he is seriously overrated by many.

Once again your love for your home country coming through.

Why are you never as positive you are to Indians then you are to Pakistanis? Please answer.

Ironic because I have hardly missed an innings of Azhar since his debut in England in 2010 vs Australia.

Your delusions are well documented, but since we are on it:

Pujara is the finest Test batsman to emerge from the subcontinent in the last 14 years (after Sangakkara and YK) in 2000. His temperament and technique is top notch and so is his desire to score big. Barring injuries and all this knee business, he's in a class of his own among all the young crop of Test batsman in the subcontinent. Even in the world, only Williamson and Root are of the same caliber.

Azhar on the other hand has excellent temperament for a Pakistani and is the best batsman we have against the new ball in Test cricket which is why most of us have been saying for ages that he should open in Tests. He's the best opener we have and yet he's being played at 3, a position for which he is not dynamic enough.

All other opening options are not good enough. They score 1 hundred and then go missing for 5/6 innings. Opening in Tests is one position where you can get away with a poor 50-100 conversion rate as long as you protect the middle order from the new ball and don't expose them in the morning session.

In these conditions, the likes of YK, Misbah, Shafiq and Sarfraz will deliver at least 8/10 times if the openers stay at the wicket for a long time and only Azhar has shown that ability. The rest Hafeez, Shehzad, Manzoor etc are are Limited Overs batsmen being forced to evolve into Test cricketers. We have failed with Hafeez for more than a decade and are now repeating the cycle with others and they aren't of the caliber of Sehwag and Warner either.

Taufeeq is a Test opener as well, but he's past his prime now and Masood has a decent technique, but he's very under-cooked as a batsman at the moment. Although I do think he can be decent eventually but at the moment not good enough.

Azhar is poor against spin and he's a defensive batsman in its true sense. Nothing wrong with that, but he needs to get rid of his shackles more and impose himself better. He has shown good signs on that front lately, but has a long way to go.

Barring fitness concerns, if both play for the next 7/8 years, there is no way Azhar can eclipse Pujara.

Pujara is to Azhar what Dravid is to Younis.

As far as being positive is concerned, little has happened in Pakistan cricket over the last 7/8 years for me to be optimistic. Results have been average overall and the players who look good at a young age falter with time and the others either turn out to be cheats or chuckers.

During all this mess for which we are 200% responsible, we blame the so-called evil forces who are hampering us to ensure that we don't fulfill our potential because if we do we'll be the greatest force in the world and this is why we overreact to wins.

1 great performance and suddenly all the problems are solved and it is the start of a new golden era even though 90% of the players are the same and have produced crap since whitewashing England in Feb 2012 but suddenly in the space of 2 Tests, they have kick-started a new golden era and are on the up now.

We have been there before and I won't fall for it again. I did think our Test team will be ranked in the top 2 consistently after we whitewashed England but I was only disappointed with the aftermath. Spare me the delusions regarding the true caliber and worth of our team, which is Tier 2 behind Australia, England, South Africa and India along with Sri Lanka and New Zealand and we will be back number 5/6 in the ranking which is a true reflection of our quality.

Of course you can believe that Umar Akmal is more talented than Tendulkar and Shehzad is on his way to becoming a world wide legend along with Junaid who'll be the next Wasim Akram and Haris Sohail the next Younis Khan, but this rhetoric has been recycled for years and years now and every young player that turns up for Pakistan is always the next XYZ, but years later we are back to the drawing board and the cycle is repeated.

It doesn't mean we should enjoy this series win which was wonderful, but spare me the long-term aspirations and it isn't the dawn of a new era.

I've seen more 'new eras' in Pakistan cricket than you've watched matches so forgive me for not sharing your excitement.

Time will tell how good a player he is Gambhir looked mighty scoring double centuries while playing in SC also very good against spinner and we saw what he was outside SC ,Pujara looks to be on similar line and weaker mentally.Its just IMO.

Gambhir had good tours of New Zealand and South Africa. He fell apart after the 2011 World Cup against all opposition - be it home or away.

Gambhir had good tours of New Zealand and South Africa. He fell apart after the 2011 World Cup against all opposition - be it home or away.
Gauti was massive in tests looked better than Pujara at that time as for wc he played the all important final knock.But looks like his time is up although we could go for him rather than Dhawan but Dhawan scores that odd LOI century once in a while.

Gauti was massive in tests looked better than Pujara at that time as for wc he played the all important final knock.But looks like his time is up although we could go for him rather than Dhawan but Dhawan scores that odd LOI century once in a while.

I don't rate Dhawan at all to be honest. Glad that we at least have solidified on Vijay as one of the opening spot though.

Ravi shastri and some other commentators say that he the most gifted batsmen of recent time.

As far as 'gifted' is concerned, Rahane rules the roost on that front.

Ravi shastri and some other commentators say that he the most gifted batsmen of recent time.

Pujara is overrated for now ,SC fans are hyping their players like crazy nowadays..i wonder if Gautam would had made his debut now he would had been hailed as the biggest thing.

I don't rate Dhawan at all to be honest. Glad that we at least have solidified on Vijay as one of the opening spot though.

Nasser Hussain decoded Dhawan sitting in the commentary box.

Pujara is overrated for now ,SC fans are hyping their players like crazy nowadays..i wonder if Gautam would had made his debut now he would had been hailed as the biggest thing.

Yeah if commentators wont blow the trumpets BCCI will dump them. They have to keep everyone happy.

Pujara is better; But we don't need a Pujara in our team because our bowling is our strength as opposed to batting which is India's strength

Back