Azhar Ali vs Cheteshwar Pujara - Who is better in Tests?

Azhar has been one of the best new ball players I've seen from Pak. I love seeing his crashing cover drives in ODI's during the initial overs, he literally pummels boundaries in that format. Tests he's got one of the best temperaments in the world as a batsman and that is one key quality for a batsman at number 3. He may not be in the same class as Smith, Williamson and Root, but he can be trusted upon for scoring high and batting for lengthy periods of time.

I'm a huge Azhar Fan,as you can see from my profile picture.He's Improved leaps and bounds and is more consistent right now in Tests.He still has to do a bit in ODI's as a player but I feel he can get there.I don't think he's the best choice as a Captain though.

I think Azhar/Asad will be our best batsmen in the Eng test series if Hafeez doesnt get past the first 15 overs

I still get sad thinking about Pujara. He was the only one post Sachin/Dravid generation who knew that you are allowed to bat after reaching 140.

From a potential ATG to being replaced by Rohit of all people.:(

Pujara now lags behind considerably. Let's see whats in store for him.

Both are heavily overrated batsmen and calling them world class is rubbish.

They are merely a good test batsmen who holds one of the most important position a test player bats at.

Pujara's confidence is at an all time low. Replacements (read Rahul) are breathing down the neck.Tough times.. Even 40-50 is not enough to keep him in the team..

Pujara's confidence is at an all time low. Replacements (read Rahul) are breathing down the neck.Tough times.. Even 40-50 is not enough to keep him in the team..

Pujara is needed for away tough tours to blunt the new ball- with Rahul its either a century or nothing, bit of a gamble. I would persist with Che- we need an old school bat in our new age "aggressive" style of playing. He needs to be our Jonathan Trott for Kohli Pietersen and Rohit Bell to flourish.

On Potential Pujara >>>>> Shafiq and Azhar.

But, Pujara has mentally lost it.

So, even with the poor show of Azhar and Shafiq, they're still a bit ahead on performances.

Pujara is needed for away tough tours to blunt the new ball- with Rahul its either a century or nothing, bit of a gamble. I would persist with Che- we need an old school bat in our new age "aggressive" style of playing. He needs to be our Jonathan Trott for Kohli Pietersen and Rohit Bell to flourish.

Agreed. Pujara's strike rate theory was debunked yesterday when even Virat Richards found it tough to go at 40 per 100 balls.. Sanju Manju was calling for the axe repeatedly. Someone needs to remind him of his own credentials.

Agreed. Pujara's strike rate theory was debunked yesterday when even Virat Richards found it tough to go at 40 per 100 balls.. Sanju Manju was calling for the axe repeatedly. Someone needs to remind him of his own credentials.

Sanju Manju is a prime of example of those who can , do; those who cant, preach

And Rahul needs to take the spot of Dhawan overseas, not of Che. Che should be given be the same long rope as that to Rohit in ODI's. Cant keep a good man down for ever.

What did Pujara do in England I can't seem to recall..

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

These days Azhar is better. And if Pujara doesnt get out of this really bad slump that he is in then Azhar will go down as a better batsman. The difference between them is that Azhar actually carries on.

Azhar is a limited player, but a very hard working & disciplined player. He is a type of player who always gives his best & often out performs his capability. I actually don't agree that his only success is on UAE roads - his 150+ in UAE against ENG (& a 70+ in previous Test) was as difficult as anywhere one can get. Also, in his debut series, he made an outstanding 91* against the English pace attack, probably at their peak. I was really impressed his 103* in UAE, chasing that sort of target. I think, Azhar is a better player than he looks - but he is not much flamboyant - teams can restrict his scoring shot, which I don't think is a big problem in Test batting at 2 or 3. But, I don't think he 'll have a career average over 50.

Pujara looks to be a near perfect No. 3. He should finish his career with 50+ average. Only problem is Sajay Majreker looked to be even better before he started to visit out side subcontinent. Pujara 'll always score runs, tons of that in home condition, but since the J'burg Test, he is declining alarmingly - from an average of 65, it has come down under 50 & as the WI Series is postponed, after AUS tour his average might come closer to 40 than 50. Personally, I think Rahne is a better bat than Pujara, though Pujara 'll end up with highest average among this lot for his capability of making hay in sun shine.

Unless he proves me wrong in AUS, he might replace Vinod Kambli as the most undeserving batsman with a career average over 50.

This was my assessment 2 years back - how does it reads now?

Azhar Ali has played more important and match winning innings I guess. Pujara was hyped up to be the next rahul dravid. If he wants to improve he should play odi cricket as well. He goes into a shell sometimes and disrupts the momentum.

Last edited:
Azhar Ali has played more important and match winning innings I guess. Pujara was hyped up to be the next rahul dravid. If he wants to improve he should play odi cricket as well. He goes into a shell sometimes and disrupt the momentum.

India cant afford him in the ODI team just so he improves. They have a dynamic lineup with the likes of Rahul and Pandey knocking on the doors.

Pujara in 2012-2013 was way ahead of Azhar, it wasn't even a comparison. He was one of the best batsman in the world at that point, while Azhar was just a decent batsman.

However, after the South African tour in 2013-14, Pujara really slumped and other than the brilliant century in Sri Lanka last year, he has hardly done anything of note and has been completely overshadowed by Kohli, Rahane and Vijay.

Azhar on the other hand has been quite brilliance in this period.

He had a slump in 2013-14 when Pujara was at his peak, failed in South Africa and Zimbabwe, but he found his mojo during the epic Sharjah chase.

He hit a purple patch against Australia and New Zealand in 2014-15 and followed it up with a double-hundred in Bangladesh and another great hundred in Sri Lanka, and now this brilliant innings.

Azhar is ahead now, but a lot depends on whether Pujara regains his form or not, because he has hit higher peaks than Azhar.

So far though, the peak of one batsman has coincided with the drought of the other.

He can play as an opener. He can be india's hashim amla.

KL Rahul is a way better Limited Overs batsman and if anyone replaces Dhawan who is a decent ODI opener, it will be him. It would be a step back for India imo if Pujara plays ODIs for them.

Always felt that both were eerily similar kind of batsmen. One is going from strength to strength while the other has gone into a mental rut and will probably lose his place in the team. I kinda feel for Pujara because there has always been a knife hanging above his head in the team and has been dropped for the likes of Rohit, but playing scratchy cricket will do no help to that.

Che comparison has worked wonders for Azhar for once:narine

I pretty much blame Kohli's idiotic selections for Pujara's decline. You can't play around with your number 3 and expect them to bat with confidence. There's already enough pressure on a #3 as it is.

Azhar Ali vs Cheteshwar Pujara - better Test batsman?

Who is the better test player currently keeping all conditions in mind?:azhar2

I'd be more inclined towards Azhar Ali. Pujara might average more but has been disappointing away from home. Pujara seriously needs to improve outside India.

There wasn't much between the two before the Australian tour. But now Azhar has edged ahead with his stellar performance in Australia.

In subcontinent conditions its pujara but not by a huge margin, outside it is azhar ali by a huge margin.

Azhar is ahead. Pujara is on the same level as Shafiq, Rahane and Bravo. In Tier 2.

Azhar is ahead. Pujara is on the same level as Shafiq, Rahane and Bravo. In Tier 2.

Rahane who is best Asian batsman outside Asia, is way ahead of Azhar.

Azhar averages 34 outside Asia while Rahane averages 50. Rahane has already hit 5 hundreds away

It's like comparing Ashwin and Kohli and saying Ashwin is better batsman.

Last edited:
In subcontinent conditions its pujara but not by a huge margin, outside it is azhar ali by a huge margin.

In subcontinent Pujara averages 66 and Azhar 55. But that's not a huge margin.

However Azhar averaging 34 is ahead of Pujara averaging 30 by huge margin?

Last edited:
Right now, I'd settle for a series against India, just so that we can kill these nauseating threads.

In subcontinent Pujara averages 66 and Azhar 55. But that's not a huge margin.

However Azhar averaging 34 is ahead of Pujara averaging 30 by huge margin?

I took into consideration the impact they have on the games in and outside subcontinent. Statistics aren't everything.

Rahane who is best Asian batsman outside Asia, is way ahead of Azhar.

Azhar averages 34 outside Asia while Rahane averages 50. Rahane has already hit 5 hundreds away

It's like comparing Ashwin and Kohli and saying Ashwin is better batsman.

Just cause he is good outside Asia, doesn't mean he is better overall. Rahane only has 8 100s and 9 fifties. Azhar has 12 100s and 24 fifties. You forgot to mention that Rahane only has three 100s in Asia while Azhar has ten. A much better record for Azhar.

Just cause he is good outside Asia, doesn't mean he is better overall. Rahane only has 8 100s and 9 fifties. Azhar has 12 100s and 24 fifties. You forgot to mention that Rahane only has three 100s in Asia while Azhar has ten. A much better record for Azhar.

Rahane has better average overall.

Rahane has better scoring rate if you consider number of 100s. 8 hundreds in 32 matches v 12 100s in 56 matches.

Azhar is better in Asian condition. Rahane is better in overseas conditions.

Rahane has played only 11 matches at home so far.

Overall Rahane is easily ahead of him.

Rahane has better average overall.

Rahane has better scoring rate if you consider number of 100s. 8 hundreds in 32 matches v 12 100s in 56 matches.

Azhar is better in Asian condition. Rahane is better in overseas conditions.

Overall Rahane is easily ahead of him.

Rahane bats at 4 or 5 where average will obviously be higher than 1, 2 or 3.

Rahane bats at 4 or 5 where it is easier to score at a quicker rate than 1, 2 or 3.

India play 5 tests vs England while we play 4. India play 4 Tests vs Australia while we play 3. Surplus overseas.

So he hasn't played enough matches to consider him better than Azhar.

Rahane bats at 4 or 5 where average will obviously be higher than 1, 2 or 3.

Rahane bats at 4 or 5 where it is easier to score at a quicker rate than 1, 2 or 3.

India play 5 tests vs England while we play 4. India play 4 Tests vs Australia while we play 3. Surplus overseas.

So he hasn't played enough matches to consider him better than Azhar.

Are you still talking about tests?

How is batting at 5 gives you obvious higher average?

I don't think it's fair to compare Azhar with middle order players like Kohli, Rahane etc. Opening the batting involves a different approach to batting in the middle order. Azhar is right up there with Cook, Vijay and Warner as one of the best opening batsmen going around.

Azhar Ali is scoring runs. But they are at an extreme slow pace. No Indian batsman scores at 1.5 to 2 RPO for almost a full day just to get a century.

Azhar Ali never dominates and never imposes his will on the opposition even after batting for 3 days.

I will not trade any of the Indian batsman for Azhar Ali. :bm

Azhar Ali is scoring runs. But they are at an extreme slow pace. No Indian batsman scores at 1.5 to 2 RPO for almost a full day just to get a century.

Azhar Ali never dominates and never imposes his will on the opposition even after batting for 3 days.

I will not trade any of the Indian batsman for Azhar Ali. :bm

Well he has scored more runs at a better average and strike rate than Murali Vijay this year...

Well he has scored more runs at a better average and strike rate than Murali Vijay this year...

Vijay has been out of form for a while now. Though Vijay is scoring runs, he never looked fluent in any of the innings. Vijay is just gutsing it out and eeking out runs.
Vijay when in good form, scores at 60 SR. These days he is scoring at 40 SR. I would still keep him considering his history.
Next year may be different for Vijay. If Vijay continues to score at this pace and failing at it, his position will be in jeopardy. He knows that.

Azhar Ali has improved immensely, he is better player than Pujara. I would still like to score quicker and push his SR up to around 53.

Cheteshwar Pujara vs Azhar Ali - Who is best Test batsman between them?

Azhar Ali or Pujara...Both are excellent test batsman..I will go for Azhar Ali..what you guys thinks?

Azhar is better so far, but I think Pujara is going to overtake him over the next year.

Azhar as of now. Pujara performances overseas will give him a chance to surpass Azhar. But for now I would take Azhar.

Agreed..But if you look at sub continent conditions Pujara is ahead because of his solid technique against spinners such as Herath

Azhar but Pujara has a case to be rated as one of the the greatest batsmen in Asian conditions. He has hardly failed there and has dominated big teams in these conditions.

Both are good support batsmen in Tests. Neither have will to impose themselves on games or play regular high impact inns outside of Asian conditions.

At this stage with them in the final 3-4 years of their careers it looks likely they will both decline towards 44-45 avg batsmen.

Pujara easily now.

Way ahead of Azhar in Asia and around about same outside Asia except in Australia where Azhar has got a 200.

Both are really different Batsmen:

Azhar Ali in England
24 innings
29.68 avg
41.43 sr

Cheteshwar Pujara in England
18 innings
29.41 avg
40.45 sr

Azhar Ali in Australia
8 innings
81.20 avg

Cheteshwar Pujara in Australia
6 innings
33.50 avg

Azhar NZ
7 innings
29.43 avg

Pujara NZ
4 innings
22.00 avg

Azhar SA
6 innings
29.95 avg

Pujara SA
18 innings
38.88 avg

Last edited:
I'd have neither of them in my team. Both are snail paced batsman and are average in difficult conditions.

Last edited:
Pujara is a giant in Asia but poor in overseas conditions. Like [MENTION=133315]Hitman[/MENTION] said, I would have neither in my team if given an option.

Both are really different Batsmen:

Azhar Ali in England
24 innings
29.68 avg
41.43 sr

Cheteshwar Pujara in England
18 innings
29.41 avg
40.45 sr

Azhar Ali in Australia
8 innings
81.20 avg

Cheteshwar Pujara in Australia
6 innings
33.50 avg

Azhar NZ
7 innings
29.43 avg

Pujara NZ
4 innings
22.00 avg

Azhar SA
6 innings
29.95 avg

Pujara SA
18 innings
38.88 avg

Both are average in SENA, thought Azhar was better before seeing the stats !

another "virat vs akmal" kinda thread!
It's so much fun reading the old comments on this thread!
Some people even called Pujara an overrated player and Azar is World class!.

another "virat vs akmal" kinda thread!
It's so much fun reading the old comments on this thread!
Some people even called Pujara an overrated player and Azar is World class!.
Typical so called 'fans', slagging azhar now his past it. For most of the last decade azhar was superior to pujara, pujara being a home track bully and azhar scoring centuries and double centuries in england and australia.
Now pujara has done well on the flat aussie tracks and azhar is playing when he should have retired, people are calling pujara some kind of big time player and azhar a bum.
Azhar was better than pujara in tests and he also helped Pakistan win a icc trophy as well, something pujara can only dream about.
Winner is azhar but if he does not require quick time, i might have to reverse the decision.

'You can die young as a hero or live long enough to become a villian.'

Typical so called 'fans', slagging azhar now his past it. For most of the last decade azhar was superior to pujara, pujara being a home track bully and azhar scoring centuries and double centuries in england and australia.
Now pujara has done well on the flat aussie tracks and azhar is playing when he should have retired, people are calling pujara some kind of big time player and azhar a bum.
Azhar was better than pujara in tests and he also helped Pakistan win a icc trophy as well, something pujara can only dream about.
Winner is azhar but if he does not require quick time, i might have to reverse the decision.

Azhar is a tailender outside his home these days. He averages 16 in SA, in 20s in both NZ and England. The only place he's done well is Australia, where too he failed to save his team from losing every single game.
Moreover Azhar is a bottler. Even at his prime he fumbled a easy chase against NZ in UAE.

There is no comparison with Pujara who is a match winner.

Azhar is a tailender outside his home these days. He averages 16 in SA, in 20s in both NZ and England. The only place he's done well is Australia, where too he failed to save his team from losing every single game.
Moreover Azhar is a bottler. Even at his prime he fumbled a easy chase against NZ in UAE.

There is no comparison with Pujara who is a match winner.

Azhar has scored centuries in england and australia!
Pujara ia a home track bully, just because his done well in one series in australia on flat tracks does not make him a legend.
Azhar is ruining his reputation and should retire.
Truth is both are boring as heck to watch!

This is so funny, even Pakistani posters will probably laugh :))

He does have a point though. No point in bumping the thread after every Azhar failure, when it's pretty clear that he's past it. This comparison is now invalid.

What's wrong in what he wrote?
What has Pujara done in ODIs?
Azhar Ali scored a 50 in the CT final also he's scored a double hundred in Aus as well.

You should refrain from judging him based on this current form.

Back